Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Swiss Cheese

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message

> > I was only surprised about the fact that you call one particular
> > cheese, that's not unique to Switzerland and that's also not the
> > only cheese the Swiss make, "Swiss cheese". And that you seemed to
> > assume the whole world knew what you meant by that. That's all. I
> > don't know about jabs or Julie or Washington State.

> When we post something, how do we know what you do or don't know? I
> pretty much only know what is here or other places where I've lived,
> unless someone tells me otherwise.

Thats the same for all of us. It's got to be plain to all that in the
USA we have 2 types of generically named 'Swiss Cheese'. One has a lot
of holes, the other is in a block and may not have evident holes but
tastes very close to the one that does. We also have specific brands
(and other things from Switzerland) that are not the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 01:19:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
says...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-

>>>I am not angry, I note some didnt keep up and after others (not even
>>>me) clarified what Julie meant, there were still jabs.
>>>
>>>It didnt go over well to try to explain Julies Washington State Swiss
>>>reference and get blamed by those who had not read it and 'assumed'
>>>they knew what is was.

>> I was only surprised about the fact that you call one particular
>> cheese, that's not unique to Switzerland and that's also not the only
>> cheese the Swiss make, "Swiss cheese". And that you seemed to assume
>> the whole world knew what you meant by that. That's all. I don't know
>> about jabs or Julie or Washington State.

>When we post something, how do we know what you do or don't know? I pretty
>much only know what is here or other places where I've lived, unless someone
>tells me otherwise.

BTW, Julie. I checked around my city here in the Northwest and was
able after much searching to find one small block of "Emmantal Swiss"
at an Albertsons. (this was in a cheese aisle that was about a half
city block long) There were no packages of sliced or shredded either.
I thought you were right about Swiss being difficult to find here.
plenty of other white meltable cheese available.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

BTW, Julie. I checked around my city here in the Northwest and was
able after much searching to find one small block of "Emmantal Swiss"
at an Albertsons. (this was in a cheese aisle that was about a half
city block long) There were no packages of sliced or shredded either.
I thought you were right about Swiss being difficult to find here.
plenty of other white meltable cheese available.
Janet US

==

Thank you for posting that! )

It was very kind of you!

Best

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 16:35:03 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 09 Sep 2017 08:42:27a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 01:19:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

says...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...nsive-guide-to

>>>When we post something, how do we know what you do or don't know?
>>>I pretty much only know what is here or other places where I've
>>>lived, unless someone tells me otherwise.

>> BTW, Julie. I checked around my city here in the Northwest and
>> was able after much searching to find one small block of "Emmantal
>> Swiss" at an Albertsons. (this was in a cheese aisle that was
>> about a half city block long) There were no packages of sliced or
>> shredded either. I thought you were right about Swiss being
>> difficult to find here. plenty of other white meltable cheese
>> available. Janet US
>>

>I guess we've been lucky, Both in Cleveland where we moved from and
>now in Phoenix, there are numerous brands of Swiss cheeese in various
>forms. The least likely to find is shredded, but sliced, wedges, and
>various size chunks are in all of our supermarkets, not mention
>cheese shops that also carry top shelf cold cuts and sausages. Most
>ar domestic brands, but there are fair number of imported Swiss
>cheese as well.

I think I mentioned that I could find some sort of Swiss like cheese
blocks (Gruyere, etc) at Costco and also packages of sliced for
sandwiches. I didn't check cheese shops as that wasn't the kind of
shopping Julie was doing. She was looking for a small amount of
'Swiss' at supermarkets for a salad. I guess the common cheese buyer
hereabouts is geared toward south of the border tastes.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 09:13:11 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>> > I was only surprised about the fact that you call one particular
>> > cheese, that's not unique to Switzerland and that's also not the
>> > only cheese the Swiss make, "Swiss cheese". And that you seemed to
>> > assume the whole world knew what you meant by that. That's all. I
>> > don't know about jabs or Julie or Washington State.

>> When we post something, how do we know what you do or don't know? I
>> pretty much only know what is here or other places where I've lived,
>> unless someone tells me otherwise.

>Thats the same for all of us. It's got to be plain to all that in the
>USA we have 2 types of generically named 'Swiss Cheese'. One has a lot
>of holes, the other is in a block and may not have evident holes but
>tastes very close to the one that does. We also have specific brands
>(and other things from Switzerland) that are not the same.

I wonder if they also sell the holes separately.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 8:50:45 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Sep 2017 03:57:53 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:

>> says...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-

>> >No.

>> To me, this is Swiss cheese:
>> <https://www.ah.nl.kpnis.nl/static/product/AHI_434d50303430363735_1_LowRes_JPG.JPG>

> In the world of cartoons, there is only one type of cheese. They all come
> with holes and they're all yellow.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=cartoon+cheese

True dat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

.. .

wrote:

> [...]
says...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-

>> > No.

>> Well, that is a very un-American answer.

> Can Americans understand it, or do you need a translation?
>
> Janet UK

Que?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-09-03 3:13 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>>> Congratualtions for being the one off in the world for that. The rest
>>> have a clue regardless of country and have for 3 days now.

>> Don't get angry over nothing. I now know that Americans call Swiss
>> cheese what I've called 'farmer's cheese' all my life. But before this
>> thread, Swiss cheese was a grated cheese with a very specific smell to
>> me.
>>
>> I hope you can handle that.
>>

> That must be quite different from American or Canadian farmer's cheese,
> which is a very mild,fresh cheese.

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 01:19:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
says...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...uide-to-swiss-

>>> I was only surprised about the fact that you call one particular
>>> cheese, that's not unique to Switzerland and that's also not the only
>>> cheese the Swiss make, "Swiss cheese". And that you seemed to assume
>>> the whole world knew what you meant by that. That's all. I don't know
>>> about jabs or Julie or Washington State.

>>When we post something, how do we know what you do or don't know? I pretty
>>much only know what is here or other places where I've lived, unless
>>someone
>>tells me otherwise.

> BTW, Julie. I checked around my city here in the Northwest and was
> able after much searching to find one small block of "Emmantal Swiss"
> at an Albertsons. (this was in a cheese aisle that was about a half
> city block long) There were no packages of sliced or shredded either.
> I thought you were right about Swiss being difficult to find here.
> plenty of other white meltable cheese available.
> Janet US

Thanks! I did see Kraft at Albertsons today although I did not see it on
their website.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 16:35:03 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat 09 Sep 2017 08:42:27a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>>
>>> On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 01:19:00 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...
> [...]
says...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...nsive-guide-to

>>> BTW, Julie. I checked around my city here in the Northwest and
>>> was able after much searching to find one small block of "Emmantal
>>> Swiss" at an Albertsons. (this was in a cheese aisle that was
>>> about a half city block long) There were no packages of sliced or
>>> shredded either. I thought you were right about Swiss being
>>> difficult to find here. plenty of other white meltable cheese
>>> available. Janet US
>>>

>>I guess we've been lucky, Both in Cleveland where we moved from and
>>now in Phoenix, there are numerous brands of Swiss cheeese in various
>>forms. The least likely to find is shredded, but sliced, wedges, and
>>various size chunks are in all of our supermarkets, not mention
>>cheese shops that also carry top shelf cold cuts and sausages. Most
>>ar domestic brands, but there are fair number of imported Swiss
>>cheese as well.

> I think I mentioned that I could find some sort of Swiss like cheese
> blocks (Gruyere, etc) at Costco and also packages of sliced for
> sandwiches. I didn't check cheese shops as that wasn't the kind of
> shopping Julie was doing. She was looking for a small amount of
> 'Swiss' at supermarkets for a salad. I guess the common cheese buyer
> hereabouts is geared toward south of the border tastes.
> Janet US

There is a cheese shop in Edmonds but I don't know of any near here.