Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is this fruit?

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 08:22:16 -0700, Taxed and Spent

wrote:

>>> Cashew nuts are expensive because of the processing... right off the
>>> cashew tree the nuts are toxic, they need to be roasted in their shell
>>> at a high temperature to neutralize the toxin... their shells are very
>>> hard and difficult to crack open without destrying teh nut. I've
>>> watched how it's done, a wide hardwood board from a particular
>>> rainforest tree is used, the roasted nuts are placed between two
>>> boards and a vehicle is driven over to crack the shells, least that's
>>> how the natives in Central America do it. But more important is the
>>> cashew fruit/apple, it's used to make a delicious and potent wine....
>>> the fruits are much too delicate to ship.

>> Is this current information of from the 1950s?
>>

>It certainly didn't come from the Conquistador's time.

Absolutely did... they did have the wheel, the cart filled with rocks,
and people to pull. They made a special cashew nut cracking tool by
making undersized depressions in the boards, so that the
shells cracked without damaging the nut. There's the reason yoose
haven't the brain of a bush man toolmaker. It's good some toolmaker
developed velcro or many of yoose couldn't get dressed. John has
velcro shoe closures, he can't tie a bow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 13:49:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/31/2017 1:18 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>

>> that's exactly how Idahoans crack black walnut shells from the many
>> trees that grow wild in older neighborhoods here.
>> Put them on a driveway, put a sheet of plywood over and drive your
>> truck back and forth over the top.
>> I guess good ideas are always good ideas
>> Janet US
>>

>They fall in my driveway and have put a couple of dings in cars over the
>years. The squirrels love them and open them in the tree and my car
>gets bits of the shells too.

the squirrels also plant them
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-31 1:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/31/2017 1:18 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>

>> that's exactly howÂ* Idahoans crack black walnut shells from the many
>> trees that grow wild in older neighborhoods here.
>> Put them on a driveway, put a sheet of plywood over and drive your
>> truck back and forth over the top.
>> I guess good ideas are always good ideas
>> Janet US
>>

> They fall in my driveway and have put a couple of dings in cars over the
> years.Â* The squirrels love them and open them in the tree and my car
> gets bits of the shells too.

I have 5 black walnut trees in my yard and one just over the property
line on my neighbour's side. They are close to 50 years old and very
productive so I get a lot of them on the lawn. There are lots of
squirrels to gather them up but there are still lots sitting on the
lawn, so I have to raise the mower deck at this time of year. it can't
be good for the blades to be hitting those things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2017 3:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I can buy cashew juice at the grocery
> store.

Choke to death on it, you fat *******.

And lay off the gays, you insensitive jerkwad.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://tinyurl.com/yc9r7cko

>>> Then you're not eating cashews, perhaps you are thinking of peanuts.
>>> Those are clearly cashews.
>>>

>> Why would you think I can't tell the difference between a cashew and
>> peanuts? The cans of *deluxe* mixed nuts I buy don't contain peanuts.
>> If I want peanuts I'll buy a jar of dry roasted.
>>
>> Jill

> More to the point, why are you suggesting that I am incorrect because
> you say they don't look like that in a can of mixed nuts?

I replied to you about cashews well before I said the nuts on the
picture of the cans don't always look like *picture* on the can. I know
the difference between cashews and peanuts. They don't look a thing
alike and they sure as hell don't taste the same.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/yc9r7cko
>
> I haven't got a clue as to what it is
> thanks
> Janet US

If I was a watermelon, would you spit or swallow my seed?

Fruit Cake - "Fruit Cake.rtf" yEnc (1/1) sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 04-12-2009 10:19 PM
red fruit harikovic Preserving 0 13-10-2006 04:11 PM
Four RECIPES: "Fruit Spreads" - use concentrated fruit juice for sweetener Melba's Jammin' Preserving 20 27-05-2006 12:51 AM
Much Fruit Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General Cooking 23 08-03-2006 11:23 AM
Frozen Fruit versus fresh fruit [email protected] Baking 2 03-02-2005 09:38 PM