Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Eclipse: The Club Missed a Huge Opportunity!

Someone in the Dataw marketing department was asleep at the switch!

The Club is closed on Mondays. But think about it. With such huge
interest in the solar eclipse and everyone scrambling to buy eclipse
glasses, they could have cashed in big time!

Picture it: A special lunchtime Eclipse menu. Eclipse glasses
included. Doesn't have to be an extensive menu. Soup & salad.
Appetpizers. Servers and diners on the patio, all wearing special
glasses.

They could have charged upwards of $60 per person and I guarantee some
people would have bought it. Oh well.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Someone in the Dataw marketing department was asleep at the switch!
>
> The Club is closed on Mondays. But think about it. With such huge
> interest in the solar eclipse and everyone scrambling to buy eclipse
> glasses, they could have cashed in big time!
>
> Picture it: A special lunchtime Eclipse menu. Eclipse glasses
> included. Doesn't have to be an extensive menu. Soup & salad.
> Appetpizers. Servers and diners on the patio, all wearing special
> glasses.
>
> They could have charged upwards of $60 per person and I guarantee
> some people would have bought it. Oh well.
>
> Jill

I wonder if any thought about it? Meantime, we are reaching our peake.
There's a report that the bat cave is stirring. (I-264 and I-64,
headed to the beach, big bat cave near there). They probably think
near dusk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 6:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 12:39:49 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> They could have charged upwards of $60 per person and I guarantee some
>> people would have bought it. Oh well.

> The workers didn't want to have to come in on their only day off.
>
> -sw

Most of them don't work on Tuesday, either. The Club is only open for a
couple of hours for lunch.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 8/21/2017 6:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 12:39:49 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > > They could have charged upwards of $60 per person and I guarantee
> > > some people would have bought it. Oh well.

> > The workers didn't want to have to come in on their only day off.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Most of them don't work on Tuesday, either. The Club is only open
> for a couple of hours for lunch.
>
> Jill

Ah well. I agree, the flks there would have liked a little party that
time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 7:07 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> The workers didn't want to have to come in on their only day off.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Most of them don't work on Tuesday, either. The Club is only open
>> for a couple of hours for lunch.
>>
>> Jill

> Ah well. I agree, the flks there would have liked a little party that
> time.

The eclipse was pretty much a non-event anyway. It rained all
afternoon. It didn't even get dark here. Just looked like another
cloudy day. Of course they still could have turned it into a
money-making event with people watching on the flat screens in the Pub.
Oh well, too late now.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 8/21/2017 7:07 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Most of them don't work on Tuesday, either. The Club is only open
> > > for a couple of hours for lunch.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > Ah well. I agree, the flks there would have liked a little party
> > that time.
> >

> The eclipse was pretty much a non-event anyway. It rained all
> afternoon. It didn't even get dark here. Just looked like another
> cloudy day. Of course they still could have turned it into a
> money-making event with people watching on the flat screens in the
> Pub. Oh well, too late now.
>
> Jill

True but i bet it would have been fun to meet up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 7:25 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Ah well. I agree, the flks there would have liked a little party
>>> that time.
>>>

>> The eclipse was pretty much a non-event anyway. It rained all
>> afternoon. It didn't even get dark here. Just looked like another
>> cloudy day. Of course they still could have turned it into a
>> money-making event with people watching on the flat screens in the
>> Pub. Oh well, too late now.
>>
>> Jill

> True but i bet it would have been fun to meet up!

I know there are a lot of people who would have paid a premium to get
together for an Eclipse Party at the Pub, rain or shine, inside or out.
Reservations would have been necessary, which pretty much locks in a
pre-paid price, menu and the servers automatically get 20%. It's not as
if the eclipse snuck up on anyone. But, it apparently didn't occur to
anyone in the marketing department they could have held an eclipse
party. Oh well.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 18:25:51 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Ah well. I agree, the flks there would have liked a little party
>> > that time.
>> >

>> The eclipse was pretty much a non-event anyway. It rained all
>> afternoon. It didn't even get dark here. Just looked like another
>> cloudy day. Of course they still could have turned it into a
>> money-making event with people watching on the flat screens in the
>> Pub. Oh well, too late now.
>>
>> Jill

>True but i bet it would have been fun to meet up!

What, you dislike everybody in rfc and would hate to meet them in real
life? What a rude and snooty thing to say!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Mon 21 Aug 2017 04:19:25p, jmcquown told us...

>>> Ah well. I agree, the flks there would have liked a little party
>>> that time.
>>>

>> The eclipse was pretty much a non-event anyway. It rained all
>> afternoon. It didn't even get dark here. Just looked like
>> another cloudy day. Of course they still could have turned it
>> into a money-making event with people watching on the flat screens
>> in the Pub.
>> Oh well, too late now.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> When I watched it in 1979 I didn't see what all the fuss was about.
> I didn't even bother looking today, as the percentage was about the
> same it was back then. NBFD

I didn't actually get to see anything but rain here. I watched a little
bit on television but it really was NBFD! A heck of a lot of build up
to pretty much nothing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 20:54:55 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/21/2017 7:25 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> The eclipse was pretty much a non-event anyway. It rained all
>>> afternoon. It didn't even get dark here. Just looked like another
>>> cloudy day. Of course they still could have turned it into a
>>> money-making event with people watching on the flat screens in the
>>> Pub. Oh well, too late now.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> True but i bet it would have been fun to meet up!
>>

>I know there are a lot of people who would have paid a premium to get
>together for an Eclipse Party at the Pub, rain or shine, inside or out.
> Reservations would have been necessary, which pretty much locks in a
>pre-paid price, menu and the servers automatically get 20%. It's not as
>if the eclipse snuck up on anyone. But, it apparently didn't occur to
>anyone in the marketing department they could have held an eclipse
>party. Oh well.
>
>Jill

Perhaps the drudge workers were not prepared to forgo their day off
for the 'club' people?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2017 12:07 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:03:12 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> The workers didn't want to have to come in on their only day off.
>>>

>> Most of them don't work on Tuesday, either. The Club is only open for a
>> couple of hours for lunch.

> The Club gets pretty much the same amount of money whether they hold a
> special event or not. How many residents to you think spend more than
> 20% of their 'dues'? What's the population of Dataw and how much do
> they have to spend at the Club?

I have no idea about the static population of Dataw. There are a lot of
"seasonal" residents here. They show up in the winter when it starts to
get cold. These people have winter homes and summer homes, so I'm
pretty sure they can afford to dine at the Club. How much do they HAVE
to spend? The dining assessment is $838 per year. I believe that
figure is slightly higher if there's more than one person living in the
house.

Over the years I've gotten to know some of the people who work at the
Club. Some of them work two jobs. I'll have to ask whether an added
shift on Monday for an eclipse party would be been objectionable or
simply seen as a way to pick up some extra money. Then again, they
might have been scheduled to work at their *other* jobs on Monday.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Someone in the Dataw marketing department was asleep at the switch!
>
>The Club is closed on Mondays. But think about it. With such huge
>interest in the solar eclipse and everyone scrambling to buy eclipse
>glasses, they could have cashed in big time!
>
>Picture it: A special lunchtime Eclipse menu. Eclipse glasses
>included. Doesn't have to be an extensive menu. Soup & salad.
>Appetpizers. Servers and diners on the patio, all wearing special
>glasses.
>
>They could have charged upwards of $60 per person and I guarantee some
>people would have bought it. Oh well.
>
>Jill

If they wore special glasses they wouldn't see a thing. It would be
the same as being blindfolded.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 4:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> The workers didn't want to have to come in

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 10:07 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> What's the population of Dataw and how much do
> they have to spend at the Club?

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2017 11:35 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 12:39:49 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Someone in the Dataw marketing department was asleep at the switch!
>>
>> The Club is closed on Mondays. But think about it. With such huge
>> interest in the solar eclipse and everyone scrambling to buy eclipse
>> glasses, they could have cashed in big time!
>>
>> Picture it: A special lunchtime Eclipse menu. Eclipse glasses
>> included. Doesn't have to be an extensive menu. Soup & salad.
>> Appetpizers. Servers and diners on the patio, all wearing special
>> glasses.
>>
>> They could have charged upwards of $60 per person and I guarantee some
>> people would have bought it. Oh well.
>>
>> Jill

> If they wore special glasses they wouldn't see a thing. It would be
> the same as being blindfolded.
> Janet US

Have you never heard of dark dining or dining in the dark? Seems to me
it was trendy in some ultra-cosmopolitan urban areas in the last 10
years. The servers aren't blindfolded (hopefully!) but the patrons are.
Here's a wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_dining

Dining blindfolded, not something I'd be interested in. My post about
the Club and the eclipse was intended to be facetious. That's why I
included the smilies.

I'm sorry to say I saw a little bit of Bonny Tyler performing her 1983
hit "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on television. Time and age has not
been good to her vocal cords. The eclipse didn't help, either.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 12:03:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/22/2017 11:35 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 12:39:49 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Someone in the Dataw marketing department was asleep at the switch!
>>>
>>> The Club is closed on Mondays. But think about it. With such huge
>>> interest in the solar eclipse and everyone scrambling to buy eclipse
>>> glasses, they could have cashed in big time!
>>>
>>> Picture it: A special lunchtime Eclipse menu. Eclipse glasses
>>> included. Doesn't have to be an extensive menu. Soup & salad.
>>> Appetpizers. Servers and diners on the patio, all wearing special
>>> glasses.
>>>
>>> They could have charged upwards of $60 per person and I guarantee some
>>> people would have bought it. Oh well.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> If they wore special glasses they wouldn't see a thing. It would be
>> the same as being blindfolded.
>> Janet US
>>

>Have you never heard of dark dining or dining in the dark? Seems to me
>it was trendy in some ultra-cosmopolitan urban areas in the last 10
>years. The servers aren't blindfolded (hopefully!) but the patrons are.
> Here's a wiki article:
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_dining
>
>Dining blindfolded, not something I'd be interested in. My post about
>the Club and the eclipse was intended to be facetious. That's why I
>included the smilies.
>
>I'm sorry to say I saw a little bit of Bonny Tyler performing her 1983
>hit "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on television. Time and age has not
>been good to her vocal cords. The eclipse didn't help, either.
>
>Jill

I know all about the diner thing. You included the servers in your
statement and I figured you didn't know anything about the glasses
since it was all a yawn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 8/21/2017 7:25 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > The eclipse was pretty much a non-event anyway. It rained all
> > > afternoon. It didn't even get dark here. Just looked like
> > > another cloudy day. Of course they still could have turned it
> > > into a money-making event with people watching on the flat
> > > screens in the Pub. Oh well, too late now.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > True but i bet it would have been fun to meet up!
> >

> I know there are a lot of people who would have paid a premium to get
> together for an Eclipse Party at the Pub, rain or shine, inside or
> out. Reservations would have been necessary, which pretty much
> locks in a pre-paid price, menu and the servers automatically get
> 20%. It's not as if the eclipse snuck up on anyone. But, it
> apparently didn't occur to anyone in the marketing department they
> could have held an eclipse party. Oh well.
>
> Jill

Sad. I bet most of the workers would have volunteered to work that day
for the extra money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 18:25:51 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> open >> > > for a couple of hours for lunch.

> >> The eclipse was pretty much a non-event anyway. It rained all
> >> afternoon. It didn't even get dark here. Just looked like another
> >> cloudy day. Of course they still could have turned it into a
> >> money-making event with people watching on the flat screens in the
> >> Pub. Oh well, too late now.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > True but i bet it would have been fun to meet up!

> What, you dislike everybody in rfc and would hate to meet them in real
> life? What a rude and snooty thing to say!

Bruce, she's talking about Dataw and a club event there. Not RFC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 18:28:56 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> open >> > > for a couple of hours for lunch.

>> > True but i bet it would have been fun to meet up!

>> What, you dislike everybody in rfc and would hate to meet them in real
>> life? What a rude and snooty thing to say!

>Bruce, she's talking about Dataw and a club event there. Not RFC.

That's so textbook snooty of you! I almost can't believe it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2017 7:28 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> What, you dislike everybody in rfc and would hate to meet them in real
>> life? What a rude and snooty thing to say!

> Bruce, she's talking about Dataw and a club event there. Not RFC.

Carol, why do you even respond to him? He's a troll!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 20:32:27 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/22/2017 7:28 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> What, you dislike everybody in rfc and would hate to meet them in real
>>> life? What a rude and snooty thing to say!

>> Bruce, she's talking about Dataw and a club event there. Not RFC.
>>

>Carol, why do you even respond to him? He's a troll!

That's not very nice, Ms McQuown.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2017 5:48 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 18:28:56 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> open >> > > for a couple of hours for lunch.

>>> What, you dislike everybody in rfc and would hate to meet them in real
>>> life? What a rude and snooty thing to say!

>> Bruce, she's talking about Dataw and a club event there. Not RFC.

> That's so textbook snooty of you! I almost can't believe it!

You are easily the most limpid, ineffectual troll of all time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2017 6:34 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 20:32:27 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Bruce, she's talking about Dataw and a club event there. Not RFC.
>>>

>> Carol, why do you even respond to him? He's a troll!

> That's not very nice, Ms McQuown.

But oh so abidingly true!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 8/22/2017 7:28 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > What, you dislike everybody in rfc and would hate to meet them in
> > > real life? What a rude and snooty thing to say!

> > Bruce, she's talking about Dataw and a club event there. Not RFC.
> >

> Carol, why do you even respond to him? He's a troll!
>
> Jill

I keep hoping for something non-troll.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2017 8:26 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Bruce, she's talking about Dataw and a club event there. Not RFC.
>>>

>> Carol, why do you even respond to him? He's a troll!
>>
>> Jill

> I keep hoping for something non-troll.

Definition of insanity:

Doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 21:26:54 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Bruce, she's talking about Dataw and a club event there. Not RFC.
>> >

>> Carol, why do you even respond to him? He's a troll!
>>
>> Jill

>I keep hoping for something non-troll.

I just wanted you to know what it's like when someone keeps reading
things you never wrote.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/23/2017 12:50 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 21:26:54 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Carol, why do you even respond to him? He's a troll!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I keep hoping for something non-troll.

> I just wanted you to know what it's like when someone keeps reading
> things you never wrote.

I just want you to gargle with caustic lye.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jmcquown
> wrote:

> I'm sorry to say I saw a little bit of Bonny Tyler performing her 1983
> hit "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on television. Time and age has not
> been good to her vocal cords. The eclipse didn't help, either.

We went outside and viewed a 80 percent eclipse through a Wheaties box
contraption with a deluxe leo-made toilet paper eyepiece.
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/diwl7h11l7f8k5f/IMG_2600.JPG?dl=0>
Kids prefer to look through a toilet paper core instead of a ordinary
slot in the box. Keep that in mind. I'm a kid at heart.
By the way, these are for sale! Only thirty bucks plus twenty bucks
shipping, but the athlete may change for this prized possession and
future heirloom.
A new iPad showed up while the eclipse was transiting the country. I
named it "Eclipse".
Did anybody but me see the hilarious Fox News coverage? Would you admit
to it? Shep Smith insisted that everyone in the newsroom refer to the
event as "Total Eclipse of the Sun". Ah, well, you had to be there.

leo