Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default R U doing anything special for the eclipse tomorrow?

The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. > wrote:

> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
> Janet US

We road tripped down to Missouri from Minnesota to see it. I was my
daughter's same age (9) when the last one happened in 1979. I remember
being so disappointed that my crab apple fourth grade teacher wouldn't let
our class go outside to see it, so I wanted to make sure my daughter
doesn't have to miss it, too. We are spending the weekend in Kansas City,
and will catch the eclipse a bit north of there on our way back to MN.
That's the plan, at least. I'm sure traffic will be bad, but hopefully not
too much. It was a coup getting those dang glasses!

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 10:13:10 -0500, jinx the minx
> wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
>>
>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
>> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
>> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
>> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
>> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
>> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
>> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
>> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
>> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
>> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
>> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
>> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
>> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
>> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>> Janet US
>>

>We road tripped down to Missouri from Minnesota to see it. I was my
>daughter's same age (9) when the last one happened in 1979. I remember
>being so disappointed that my crab apple fourth grade teacher wouldn't let
>our class go outside to see it, so I wanted to make sure my daughter
>doesn't have to miss it, too. We are spending the weekend in Kansas City,
>and will catch the eclipse a bit north of there on our way back to MN.
>That's the plan, at least. I'm sure traffic will be bad, but hopefully not
>too much. It was a coup getting those dang glasses!

No kidding about the glasses. I got one of those emails from Amazon.
Luckily I was able to source a couple from a friend. Good luck on the
weather.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 10:11:11 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
> Janet US

We're getting partial totality at about 2:30 pm. I'll probably
run outside to my office's parking lot and look at the sun through
some glass that came out of an old welding mask. My husband is
checking out its properties today to see if it's safe; otherwise
I'll make a pinhole camera with two index cards.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 08:50:13 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 10:11:11 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
>> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
>> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
>> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
>> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
>> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
>> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
>> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
>> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
>> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
>> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
>> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
>> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
>> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>> Janet US

>We're getting partial totality at about 2:30 pm. I'll probably
>run outside to my office's parking lot and look at the sun through
>some glass that came out of an old welding mask. My husband is
>checking out its properties today to see if it's safe; otherwise
>I'll make a pinhole camera with two index cards.

How will he check out the welding glass? Special equipment at work?
sounds interesting.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 12:00:25 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 08:50:13 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 10:11:11 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
> >> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
> >> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
> >> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
> >> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
> >> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
> >> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
> >> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
> >> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
> >> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
> >> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
> >> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
> >> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
> >> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
> >> Janet US

> >We're getting partial totality at about 2:30 pm. I'll probably
> >run outside to my office's parking lot and look at the sun through
> >some glass that came out of an old welding mask. My husband is
> >checking out its properties today to see if it's safe; otherwise
> >I'll make a pinhole camera with two index cards.
> >

> How will he check out the welding glass? Special equipment at work?
> sounds interesting.
> Janet US

For all I know, he's going to taste it.

Actually, we just went to
<https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/iso-certification>
and he's going to compare their recommendation with what we have.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S Janet B wrote:

> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
> Janet US

I'm going to sit under some trees

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 10:11 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
> Janet US

A neighbor who is really into astronomy took one of his telescopes and
went to Charleston so he can see it better. All over Dataw people are
scrambling to buy special glasses (wonder what they're paying for them?)
so they can watch it.

I'm not really interested in this celestial phenomenon. What does
interest me is how animals/wildlife will react. I'm willing to bet none
of the animals will be wearing special glasses. Here's one theory:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...space-science/

Cows will likely return to the barn thinking it's night time. Night
birds [around here those would include Chuck Wills Widows] might start
singing. Other birds and squirrels will head back to their nests/dens
thinking it's time to go to sleep.

Cats will probably sleep right through it because heck, they sleep most
of time anyway.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sun 20 Aug 2017 09:52:06a, tert in seattle told us...
>
>> U.S Janet B wrote:
>>>
>>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want
>>> to get caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is
>>> very close and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse
>>> day. The viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is
>>> expected that the roads will be parked on both sides of the
>>> highway and stopped traffic in the driving lanes. I'm not young
>>> enough for all that anymore. I would stay home and just stand
>>> out in the street but we are surrounded by mature trees and while
>>> we get some sunlight, we don't actually see the sun this time of
>>> year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds. They have special
>>> admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free approved
>>> glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
>>> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
>>> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going
>>> somewhere special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>>> Janet US

>> I'm going to sit under some trees
>>

> I saw the one in 1979, and where we now live it won't be much
> different. We'll probably just stay in. If I could see an absolute
> total eclipse that would be different.

I am directly in the path of the total eclipse and don't know what the
big deal is.

For those who don't know, here's what the sun will look like between 1-3
PM tomorrow over the Southern United States:

http://k2radio.com/files/2017/06/Get...7181.jpg?w=720

Okay. You need special glasses or a pinhole camera and special glasses
to look watch the moon passing in front of the sun.

Eclipse or no, looking directly at the sun is never a good idea. In the
case of staring at an eclipse, you could burn out your retinas and go blind.

Nasa is warning people there are companies out there selling unreliable
"eclipse glasses":

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/n...76a11fe3d.html

Some people will do anything to make a buck, including blind you.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
> Janet US

Nothing special here other than avoiding the traffic. It hits here
about when one gets off work (at the main part for us). I'll probably
keep the sighted dog in at the peak just so he doesnt get scared a
little but only if the squirrels are acting up (not likely). Might keep
the blind one in too if the squirrels start chittering oddly.

Probably nothing here. We are not in the full eclipse line. More like
something near 80% or so. A good thundercloud can do that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-20, jmcquown > wrote:

> I'm not really interested in this celestial phenomenon.

Likewise.

If fer no other reason, than, I've seen a jillion eclipses in movies!
The white man was always using 'em to impress/confuse the indigenous
locals. Y'know, black natives about to boil some honkey ina pot or
"Injuns" about to stake some hapless wagon train droid to an ant hill.
Seen 'em all!

"Heavens to Murgatroyd! According to this little black book --I jes
happen to be carrying (sniff)-- there is going to be a total eclipse
of the sun in about 5 mins. I'll bet we can use this
once-ina-hundred-year phenomena to terrify the natives outta boiling
us alive in that big black iron pot!!"

.....as if!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:58:54 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/20/2017 1:12 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I'm going to sit under some trees
>>>

>> I saw the one in 1979, and where we now live it won't be much
>> different. We'll probably just stay in. If I could see an absolute
>> total eclipse that would be different.
>>

>I am directly in the path of the total eclipse and don't know what the
>big deal is.

some people are just interested and curious about what goes on around
them, especially the natural world. Others aren't.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:38:23 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/20/2017 10:11 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
>> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
>> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
>> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
>> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
>> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
>> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
>> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
>> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
>> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
>> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
>> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
>> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
>> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>> Janet US
>>

>A neighbor who is really into astronomy took one of his telescopes and
>went to Charleston so he can see it better. All over Dataw people are
>scrambling to buy special glasses (wonder what they're paying for them?)
>so they can watch it.

snip
>Jill

about $1.00 each.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 3:09 PM, cshenk wrote:
> U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
>> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
>> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
>> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
>> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
>> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
>> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
>> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
>> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
>> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
>> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
>> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
>> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
>> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>> Janet US

> Nothing special here other than avoiding the traffic. It hits here
> about when one gets off work (at the main part for us). I'll probably
> keep the sighted dog in at the peak just so he doesnt get scared a
> little but only if the squirrels are acting up (not likely). Might keep
> the blind one in too if the squirrels start chittering oddly.
>
> Probably nothing here. We are not in the full eclipse line. More like
> something near 80% or so. A good thundercloud can do that.

I hear ya, Carol. I remember calling over to a co-worker when a tornado
hit near the office in Memphis around 10AM: OMG, look out the window!
It was pitch black. It was pretty much the same effect as an eclipse.
Faster, though.

One thing I can say is I won't be grilling outside between the hours of
1:00 and 3:00 PM. Because it will be dark.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 3:31 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:38:23 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/20/2017 10:11 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
>>> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
>>> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
>>> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
>>> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
>>> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
>>> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
>>> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
>>> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
>>> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
>>> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
>>> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
>>> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
>>> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> A neighbor who is really into astronomy took one of his telescopes and
>> went to Charleston so he can see it better. All over Dataw people are
>> scrambling to buy special glasses (wonder what they're paying for them?)
>> so they can watch it.

> snip
>> Jill

> about $1.00 each.

Down here they're charging $2.50

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 3:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:58:54 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/20/2017 1:12 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 20 Aug 2017 09:52:06a, tert in seattle told us...

>>> I saw the one in 1979, and where we now live it won't be much
>>> different. We'll probably just stay in. If I could see an absolute
>>> total eclipse that would be different.
>>>

>> I am directly in the path of the total eclipse and don't know what the
>> big deal is.
>>

> some people are just interested and curious about what goes on around
> them, especially the natural world. Others aren't.
> Janet US

I'm interested in lots of things that happen in the natural world around me.

I am an avid bird watcher. I love watching native wildlife. But no, I
don't plan to make a pinhole camera or buy special glasses and watch the
eclipse. (I don't plan to watch a 3D movie with similar glasses, either.)

I *will* take note if my cat or local wildlife react to the eclipse.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 2:38:28 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> A neighbor who is really into astronomy took one of his telescopes and
> went to Charleston so he can see it better. All over Dataw people are
> scrambling to buy special glasses (wonder what they're paying for them?)
> so they can watch it.
>
> I'm not really interested in this celestial phenomenon. What does
> interest me is how animals/wildlife will react. I'm willing to bet none
> of the animals will be wearing special glasses. Here's one theory:

I was fascinated to discover that someone had thought "What would
it look like from the Moon?"

<https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/08/solar-eclipse-from-the-moon/537339/>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 8/20/2017 1:12 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I'm going to sit under some trees
>>>

>> I saw the one in 1979, and where we now live it won't be much
>> different. We'll probably just stay in. If I could see an absolute
>> total eclipse that would be different.
>>

>I am directly in the path of the total eclipse and don't know what the
>big deal is.

some people are just interested and curious about what goes on around
them, especially the natural world. Others aren't.
Janet US

==

Enjoy! I wish we were there to see it)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 8/20/2017 1:12 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I'm going to sit under some trees
>>>

>> I saw the one in 1979, and where we now live it won't be much
>> different. We'll probably just stay in. If I could see an absolute
>> total eclipse that would be different.
>>

> I am directly in the path of the total eclipse and don't know what the big
> deal is.
>
> For those who don't know, here's what the sun will look like between 1-3
> PM tomorrow over the Southern United States:
>
> http://k2radio.com/files/2017/06/Get...7181.jpg?w=720
>
> Okay. You need special glasses or a pinhole camera and special glasses to
> look watch the moon passing in front of the sun.
>
> Eclipse or no, looking directly at the sun is never a good idea. In the
> case of staring at an eclipse, you could burn out your retinas and go
> blind.
>
> Nasa is warning people there are companies out there selling unreliable
> "eclipse glasses":
>
> http://www.postandcourier.com/news/n...76a11fe3d.html
>
> Some people will do anything to make a buck, including blind you.
>
> Jill

How did people ever look at it before glasses were available? Or did they
all go blind?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:11:11 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. How about you?
> Going somewhere special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
> Janet US

I am going to pull a lawn chair out on my sidewalk as I am in the
direct path of the eclipse. Supposedly hotel rooms here are sold
out for this event.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 12:00:06 PM UTC-5, tert in seattle wrote:

> I'm going to sit under some trees

There was some dunce on a local List Serve group wanting to know where
the best spot here would be to view the eclipse. Since my location is
in the direct path I thought that rather a silly question. Unless they
are indoors or sitting under a tree ANYWHERE is a good spot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
> Janet US

I bought glasses early on from Amazon only to find out that they are not
certified. Too many bogus ones being sold around here so, no viewing for us.
It's supposed to come early here anyway. Fred Meyers will be closed for 3
hours so the employees can view.

So basically, no. No plans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 8/20/2017 1:12 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I'm going to sit under some trees
>>>

>> I saw the one in 1979, and where we now live it won't be much
>> different. We'll probably just stay in. If I could see an absolute
>> total eclipse that would be different.
>>

> I am directly in the path of the total eclipse and don't know what the big
> deal is.
>
> For those who don't know, here's what the sun will look like between 1-3
> PM tomorrow over the Southern United States:
>
> http://k2radio.com/files/2017/06/Get...7181.jpg?w=720
>
> Okay. You need special glasses or a pinhole camera and special glasses to
> look watch the moon passing in front of the sun.
>
> Eclipse or no, looking directly at the sun is never a good idea. In the
> case of staring at an eclipse, you could burn out your retinas and go
> blind.
>
> Nasa is warning people there are companies out there selling unreliable
> "eclipse glasses":
>
> http://www.postandcourier.com/news/n...76a11fe3d.html
>
> Some people will do anything to make a buck, including blind you.

Yep. I think most of what's being sold are bogus. Lots of people aren't
questioning them. Mine appear to be good but Amazon can't certify so will
issue a refund.

I did the pinhole thing once in elementary school. Big whoop. Not going to
do it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:38:23 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 8/20/2017 10:11 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
>>> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
>>> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
>>> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
>>> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
>>> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
>>> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
>>> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
>>> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
>>> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
>>> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
>>> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
>>> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
>>> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>A neighbor who is really into astronomy took one of his telescopes and
>>went to Charleston so he can see it better. All over Dataw people are
>>scrambling to buy special glasses (wonder what they're paying for them?)
>>so they can watch it.

> snip
>>Jill

> about $1.00 each.

Not here. Cheapest I've seen here is $2.00 and those are not certified. One
the news of bogus ones hit, prices went way up and buying a single pair went
out the window. Had to buy 5 or more and these were the paper ones. Cost
$60.00 or more for 5. No thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
>> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
>> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
>> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
>> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
>> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
>> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
>> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
>> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
>> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
>> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
>> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
>> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
>> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>> Janet US

> Nothing special here other than avoiding the traffic. It hits here
> about when one gets off work (at the main part for us). I'll probably
> keep the sighted dog in at the peak just so he doesnt get scared a
> little but only if the squirrels are acting up (not likely). Might keep
> the blind one in too if the squirrels start chittering oddly.
>
> Probably nothing here. We are not in the full eclipse line. More like
> something near 80% or so. A good thundercloud can do that.

93% here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 4:42 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I bought glasses early on from Amazon only to find out that they are not
> certified. Too many bogus ones being sold around here so, no viewing for
> us. It's supposed to come early here anyway. Fred Meyers will be closed
> for 3 hours so the employees can view.
>
> So basically, no. No plans.

I wonder about them. Just because they are not certified does not mean
they are no good. I used a welder's glass the last time we had a
partial. For some certifying agencies, this is a money grab for them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 4:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
>>> caught up in the bizarre traffic.Â* Craters of the Moon is very close
>>> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day.Â* The
>>> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
>>> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
>>> in the driving lanes.Â* I'm not young enough for all that anymore.Â* I
>>> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
>>> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
>>> the sun this time of year.Â* I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
>>> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
>>> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already)Â* Anyway, we can look
>>> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
>>> mostly won't be shining full bore.Â* How about you?Â* Going somewhere
>>> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>>> Janet US

>> Nothing special here other than avoiding the traffic. It hits here
>> about when one gets off work (at the main part for us). I'll probably
>> keep the sighted dog in at the peak just so he doesnt get scared a
>> little but only if the squirrels are acting up (not likely). Might keep
>> the blind one in too if the squirrels start chittering oddly.
>>
>> Probably nothing here.Â* We are not in the full eclipse line.Â* More like
>> something near 80% or so.Â* A good thundercloud can do that.

> 93% here.

65% here, barely noticeable darkening.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 8/20/2017 3:30 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:58:54 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> I am directly in the path of the total eclipse and don't know what the
> >> big deal is.
> >>

> > some people are just interested and curious about what goes on around
> > them, especially the natural world. Others aren't.
> > Janet US
> >

> I'm interested in lots of things that happen in the natural world around me.
>
> I am an avid bird watcher. I love watching native wildlife. But no, I
> don't plan to make a pinhole camera or buy special glasses and watch the
> eclipse. (I don't plan to watch a 3D movie with similar glasses, either.)
>
> I *will* take note if my cat or local wildlife react to the eclipse.

Even a partial eclipse is noticeable by the dimming of light, the
drop in temperature, and the silence of the birds.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 21:04:22 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:58:54 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 8/20/2017 1:12 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 20 Aug 2017 09:52:06a, tert in seattle told us...

>>> I saw the one in 1979, and where we now live it won't be much
>>> different. We'll probably just stay in. If I could see an absolute
>>> total eclipse that would be different.
>>>

>>I am directly in the path of the total eclipse and don't know what the
>>big deal is.
>>

>some people are just interested and curious about what goes on around
>them, especially the natural world. Others aren't.
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>Enjoy! I wish we were there to see it)

Hey! I'd love it if you were! We could do a picnic.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 13:45:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>news
>> On 8/20/2017 1:12 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 20 Aug 2017 09:52:06a, tert in seattle told us...

>>> I saw the one in 1979, and where we now live it won't be much
>>> different. We'll probably just stay in. If I could see an absolute
>>> total eclipse that would be different.
>>>

>> I am directly in the path of the total eclipse and don't know what the big
>> deal is.
>>
>> For those who don't know, here's what the sun will look like between 1-3
>> PM tomorrow over the Southern United States:
>>
>> http://k2radio.com/files/2017/06/Get...7181.jpg?w=720
>>
>> Okay. You need special glasses or a pinhole camera and special glasses to
>> look watch the moon passing in front of the sun.
>>
>> Eclipse or no, looking directly at the sun is never a good idea. In the
>> case of staring at an eclipse, you could burn out your retinas and go
>> blind.
>>
>> Nasa is warning people there are companies out there selling unreliable
>> "eclipse glasses":
>>
>> http://www.postandcourier.com/news/n...76a11fe3d.html
>>
>> Some people will do anything to make a buck, including blind you.

>Yep. I think most of what's being sold are bogus. Lots of people aren't
>questioning them. Mine appear to be good but Amazon can't certify so will
>issue a refund.
>
>I did the pinhole thing once in elementary school. Big whoop. Not going to
>do it again.

I did the pinhole thing in school too and agree, it lacks the
excitement.
There's a definite difference between the lab approved produce glasses
and the iffy ones. The lab ones, in addition to being dark, also have
a kind of mirror fabric on the away from the face side.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 15:40:53 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/20/2017 3:31 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:38:23 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> A neighbor who is really into astronomy took one of his telescopes and
>>> went to Charleston so he can see it better. All over Dataw people are
>>> scrambling to buy special glasses (wonder what they're paying for them?)
>>> so they can watch it.

>> snip
>>> Jill

>> about $1.00 each.
>>

>Down here they're charging $2.50
>
>Jill

Then why ask? Later shoppers, less supply, more expensive method of
timely shipping. The labs were cranking out as many (500,000 I think)
per day, as they could.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 13:03:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 2:38:28 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> A neighbor who is really into astronomy took one of his telescopes and
>> went to Charleston so he can see it better. All over Dataw people are
>> scrambling to buy special glasses (wonder what they're paying for them?)
>> so they can watch it.
>>
>> I'm not really interested in this celestial phenomenon. What does
>> interest me is how animals/wildlife will react. I'm willing to bet none
>> of the animals will be wearing special glasses. Here's one theory:

>I was fascinated to discover that someone had thought "What would
>it look like from the Moon?"
>
><https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/08/solar-eclipse-from-the-moon/537339/>
>
>Cindy Hamilton

My grandson is flying cross country during the eclipse. He has his
glasses with him and will text me if he gets the chance to view from
the jet. Did you know if you are high enough (mountain top) you can
see a 360 degree sunset?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 13:49:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>> U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
>>> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
>>> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
>>> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
>>> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
>>> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
>>> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
>>> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
>>> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
>>> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
>>> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
>>> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
>>> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
>>> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>>> Janet US

>> Nothing special here other than avoiding the traffic. It hits here
>> about when one gets off work (at the main part for us). I'll probably
>> keep the sighted dog in at the peak just so he doesnt get scared a
>> little but only if the squirrels are acting up (not likely). Might keep
>> the blind one in too if the squirrels start chittering oddly.
>>
>> Probably nothing here. We are not in the full eclipse line. More like
>> something near 80% or so. A good thundercloud can do that.

>93% here.

99.3 or .6 here, don't remember which.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 13:09:51 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:11:11 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
>> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
>> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. How about you?
>> Going somewhere special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>> Janet US
>>

>I am going to pull a lawn chair out on my sidewalk as I am in the
>direct path of the eclipse. Supposedly hotel rooms here are sold
>out for this event.

I just wish I had thought to set up for brats and dogs on a street
corner. We are reminded, however, that whatever we rent or sell, we
must collect tax )
An economist said today that they figure something like 700 million
dollars in sales will be lost as everyone stops to look. Interesting
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 13:42:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .

>> The path of totality is extremely close to us but we don't want to get
>> caught up in the bizarre traffic. Craters of the Moon is very close
>> and they are doing some wonderful programs on eclipse day. The
>> viewing would be wonderful from out there but it is expected that the
>> roads will be parked on both sides of the highway and stopped traffic
>> in the driving lanes. I'm not young enough for all that anymore. I
>> would stay home and just stand out in the street but we are surrounded
>> by mature trees and while we get some sunlight, we don't actually see
>> the sun this time of year. I think we are going to the fairgrounds.
>> They have special admission for The Fair prior to the eclipse and free
>> approved glasses. (we have our glasses already) Anyway, we can look
>> around the Fair knowing it won't be too hot to go because the sun
>> mostly won't be shining full bore. How about you? Going somewhere
>> special or eclipse party or just watch on TV?
>> Janet US

>I bought glasses early on from Amazon only to find out that they are not
>certified. Too many bogus ones being sold around here so, no viewing for us.
>It's supposed to come early here anyway. Fred Meyers will be closed for 3
>hours so the employees can view.
>
>So basically, no. No plans.

Freddies, Walmart, libraries etc had them yesterday. Some
public/government places were giving them away.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:17:14 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/20/2017 4:42 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> I bought glasses early on from Amazon only to find out that they are not
>> certified. Too many bogus ones being sold around here so, no viewing for
>> us. It's supposed to come early here anyway. Fred Meyers will be closed
>> for 3 hours so the employees can view.
>>
>> So basically, no. No plans.

>I wonder about them. Just because they are not certified does not mean
>they are no good. I used a welder's glass the last time we had a
>partial. For some certifying agencies, this is a money grab for them.

It isn't really an agency. NASA has issued a list of approved labs
that produce glasses to standard. All you have to do is show that you
purchased your glasses that you sell from one of the labs. I noticed
that a lot of the glasses were produced in China but still had all the
required coding. I wouldn't trust those.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 12:52:39 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:17:14 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >On 8/20/2017 4:42 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>

> >> I bought glasses early on from Amazon only to find out that they are not
> >> certified. Too many bogus ones being sold around here so, no viewing for
> >> us. It's supposed to come early here anyway. Fred Meyers will be closed
> >> for 3 hours so the employees can view.
> >>
> >> So basically, no. No plans.

> >I wonder about them. Just because they are not certified does not mean
> >they are no good. I used a welder's glass the last time we had a
> >partial. For some certifying agencies, this is a money grab for them.

> It isn't really an agency. NASA has issued a list of approved labs
> that produce glasses to standard. All you have to do is show that you
> purchased your glasses that you sell from one of the labs. I noticed
> that a lot of the glasses were produced in China but still had all the
> required coding. I wouldn't trust those.
> Janet US

Things were a lot simpler back in the old days. People just used film leader or glass darkened with candle soot to view the sun. As far as I know there was no mass epidemic of blindness caused by viewing a solar eclipse. These days, it seen as a serious public health issue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 6:41 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 15:40:53 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/20/2017 3:31 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> snip
>>>
>>> about $1.00 each.
>>>

>> Down here they're charging $2.50
>>
>> Jill

> Then why ask?

I didn't find out until after I posted this. So sorry no one else who
lives around here was selling or looking for eclipse glasses right at
that moment on RFC.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 4:07 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news
>> On 8/20/2017 1:12 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 20 Aug 2017 09:52:06a, tert in seattle told us...

>>> I saw the one in 1979, and where we now live it won't be much
>>> different. We'll probably just stay in. If I could see an absolute
>>> total eclipse that would be different.
>>>

>> I am directly in the path of the total eclipse and don't know what the
>> big deal is.
>>
>> For those who don't know, here's what the sun will look like between
>> 1-3 PM tomorrow over the Southern United States:
>>
>> http://k2radio.com/files/2017/06/Get...7181.jpg?w=720
>>
>> Okay. You need special glasses or a pinhole camera and special
>> glasses to look watch the moon passing in front of the sun.
>>
>> Eclipse or no, looking directly at the sun is never a good idea. In
>> the case of staring at an eclipse, you could burn out your retinas and
>> go blind.
>>
>> Nasa is warning people there are companies out there selling
>> unreliable "eclipse glasses":
>>
>> http://www.postandcourier.com/news/n...76a11fe3d.html
>>

>> Some people will do anything to make a buck, including blind you.
>>
>> Jill

> How did people ever look at it before glasses were available? Or did
> they all go blind?
>
> Cheri

I suspect there were cavemen who threw rocks at it. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://postimg.org/image/z9ijfy9lb/