Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone made potato chips?

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 2:55:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >
> On 8/20/2017 3:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message ...
> > On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 19:21:26 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> Those are what I call quarter fries. Basically quartered russet
> potatoes either battered and deep fried or rubbed with oil, seasoned and
> baked at high heat in an oven.
>
> >> Potatoes are so wonderful. You can do so many things with them and
> >> cook them many different ways. Sliced thick or thin. Frenched,
> >> quartered, cubed. Baked, fried, fanned...
> >>
> >> Potatoes are a staple in my house. But I don't "make" potato chips.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm seeing
> > potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use restraint not to
> > indulgse... potato chips have to be the most valuless 'food'. But I
> > like potato chips, still I buy them only 3-4 times a year.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I was talking about our chips (home fries??
> >

> Sure, home fries.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Heh I was starting to wonder ... again Our chips are like this:
>
> https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
>
> I know what your chips are (my crisps) then then I hear about French fries
> and Home fries
>
> ?????
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I have never seen that simple wikipedia. It's an interesting site. Thanks. We don't have many fish & chips restaurants on this rock. It's not that we don't like fish, it's just that those places always insist on cooking the fish.

That's OK, if I ever need to get some fish and chips, I know just where to go. Hot Dog on a Stick, of course!

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...54mnQ/348s.jpg

Home fries are fried potatoes. The potatoes are chopped up coarsely and pan fried. My guess is that most people buy frozen home fries to make that dish. If the potatoes are fried with onions and peppers it's called "Potatoes O'Brian." Evidently, it's an Irish Dish.

http://www.oreida.com/Products/P/Pot...n#.WZnNgih96Uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sun 20 Aug 2017 05:32:24a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 8/19/2017 8:24 PM, wrote:
>>> On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 19:21:26 -0400, jmcquown

>> I've seen wedges of russet potatoes in the mid-south (quarter
>> fries) battered and deep fried. A rare treat, and I sure wouldn't
>> make them at home.
>>
>> Up north where my parents grew up, they were called quarter fries
>> but they were roasted in the oven. Rubbed with oil, seasoned with
>> salt ( pepper and roasted in a very hot oven.

>>> Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm
>>> seeing potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use
>>> restraint not to indulgse... potato chips have to be the most
>>> valuless 'food'. But I like potato chips, still I buy them only
>>> 3-4 times a year.
>>>

>> I like potato chips when I make a hamburger. I like them *on* an
>> hamburger! That's really the only time I eat potato chips.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I like either potato chips or French fries with a burger, but neither
> *on* the burger. I really like potato chips wish most sandwiches an
> wish most restaurants would serve them that way. Years ago that was
> common. Now most sandwiches come with fries.

I don't put french fries *on* a burger or other sandwiches. I remember
seeing someone do that and thought it was odd.

I see no problem putting a few crunchy potato chips on top of a
hamburger underneath the top bun. People put crunchy stuff on burgers
all the time. Iceburg lettuce and pickles comes to mind. I don't put
those things on my burgers but I wouldn't call it odd.

People add potato chips to all kinds of things. Me, I don't eat tuna
casserole but for some reason that's the first thing that comes to mind
when I think potato chips and a hot dish.

I occasionally add crushed Fritos to my salmon patties. My mother
called them Corn Doodle Burgers, circa 1960's. It's a wild wacky world
out there.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sun 20 Aug 2017 11:13:13a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 8/20/2017 12:12 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 20 Aug 2017 05:32:24a, jmcquown told us...

>>> I like either potato chips or French fries with a burger, but
>>> neither *on* the burger. I really like potato chips wish most
>>> sandwiches an wish most restaurants would serve them that way.
>>> Years ago that was common. Now most sandwiches come with fries.
>>>

>> I don't put french fries *on* a burger or other sandwiches. I
>> remember seeing someone do that and thought it was odd.
>>
>> I see no problem putting a few crunchy potato chips on top of a
>> hamburger underneath the top bun. People put crunchy stuff on
>> burgers all the time. Iceburg lettuce and pickles comes to mind.
>> I don't put those things on my burgers but I wouldn't call it odd.

> I don't find it odd to add the potato chips, but I think they'd end
> up soggy. The other condiments are already wet. Lettuce and onion
> stay crisp.

I don't add other condiments to my hamburgers. Nothing but cheese and a
toasted bun. I don't always top it with potato chips. LOL

>> People add potato chips to all kinds of things. Me, I don't eat
>> tuna casserole but for some reason that's the first thing that
>> comes to mind when I think potato chips and a hot dish.
>>
>> I occasionally add crushed Fritos to my salmon patties. My mother
>> called them Corn Doodle Burgers, circa 1960's. It's a wild wacky
>> world out there.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I haven't made tuna noodle csserole or salmon patties in years, but
> we used to put crushed potato chips on the casserole and some
> cornmeal and flour in the salmon patties. I could see putting the
> crushed Fritos in the salmon patties.

I have never made a tuna casserole, even without potato chips.

Mom got the recipe for "Corn Doodle Burgers" (salmon patties) from some
woman's magazine, likely before I was born. And that was the name of
the corn chips. Corn Doodles.

I don't make the salmon patties very often but the crushed corn chips
definitely add something more than flour or cornmeal. Of course I leave
out the added salt the recipe calls for. Fritos are salty ehough.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 9:14 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>> Those are what I call quarter fries. Basically quartered russet
>> potatoes either battered and deep fried or rubbed with oil, seasoned and
>> baked at high heat in an oven.

> I have never heard of or tried battered fries. Might be good
> though?

Gary, you don't live in the right part of the South. LOL Only little
places that sell fresh fried chicken for lunch sell battered quarter
fried potatoes. They use the same batter for the potatoes as they do
the chicken.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 9:14 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>> Those are what I call quarter fries. Basically quartered russet
>> potatoes either battered and deep fried or rubbed with oil, seasoned and
>> baked at high heat in an oven.

> I have never heard of or tried battered fries. Might be good
> though?

Oh, this time of year you should also think about battered fried
zucchini or yellow squash. Yum!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 09:03:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:03:29 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>
>> If one wants to put any one country name on chips/fries (why would
>> one?), it should be Belgium IMO.

>The potatoes are frenched (French cut).
>
><http://www.dictionary.com/browse/french-cut>

So it should really be "frenched fries"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:05:29 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/20/2017 9:19 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I like potato chips when I make a hamburger. I like them *on* an
>>> hamburger! That's really the only time I eat potato chips.

>> You add potato chips to a hamburger on bun? That's weird.
>> Never heard of that one.
>>
>> I occasionally eat chips on the side but never on a sandwich.
>>

>Yep! Nice crisp (like Lays) potato chips right on top of the burger.
>
>I don't add much of anything to a good home ground burger, cooked medium
>rare, other than cheese. Oh, and the bun should be lightly toasted,
>too. I'll eat a few chips on the side. But why not put them on the burger?

Sounds like -how do I put that without sounding snooty- a lower
socio-economic approach to food? What about melting M&Ms and spreading
them on your bread? Would Elvis have liked that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 16:12:12 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 20 Aug 2017 05:32:24a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 8/19/2017 8:24 PM, wrote:
>>> On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 19:21:26 -0400, jmcquown

>> I've seen wedges of russet potatoes in the mid-south (quarter
>> fries) battered and deep fried. A rare treat, and I sure wouldn't
>> make them at home.
>>
>> Up north where my parents grew up, they were called quarter fries
>> but they were roasted in the oven. Rubbed with oil, seasoned with
>> salt ( pepper and roasted in a very hot oven.

>>> Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm
>>> seeing potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use
>>> restraint not to indulgse... potato chips have to be the most
>>> valuless 'food'. But I like potato chips, still I buy them only
>>> 3-4 times a year.
>>>

>> I like potato chips when I make a hamburger. I like them *on* an
>> hamburger! That's really the only time I eat potato chips.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>I like either potato chips or French fries with a burger, but neither
>*on* the burger. I really like potato chips wish most sandwiches an
>wish most restaurants would serve them that way. Years ago that was
>common. Now most sandwiches come with fries.

See? Not everything was better in the old days. From industry potato
chips to real fries. Progress!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 8:55:01 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> I know what your chips are (my crisps) then then I hear about French fries
> and Home fries
>
> ?????

French fries are your chips, although there's good deal of variation in
the thickness of the pieces. Anything from skinny little McDonald's fries
to enormous wedges can be called French fries.

The definition of home fries probably varies. To me, it's sliced potatoes
(either fresh or cooked) pan-fried in butter, vegetable oil, or bacon fat,
until a little brown crispiness is attained.

<http://riceandbread.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/IMG_8663.jpg>

I ran across a bunch of pictures where the potatoes were cubed or
cut into some sort of wedge. Perfectly all right, but I find slicing
is easier.

Preferably with a little onion.

Cindy Hamilton

===

Thank you! That helps)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Sun 20 Aug 2017 05:54:51a, Ophelia told us...

> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >
> On 8/20/2017 3:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> wrote in message
>> ... On Sat, 19 Aug
>> 2017 19:21:26 -0400, jmcquown > wrote:

> Those are what I call quarter fries. Basically quartered russet
> potatoes either battered and deep fried or rubbed with oil,
> seasoned and baked at high heat in an oven.
>
>>> Potatoes are so wonderful. You can do so many things with them
>>> and cook them many different ways. Sliced thick or thin.
>>> Frenched, quartered, cubed. Baked, fried, fanned...
>>>
>>> Potatoes are a staple in my house. But I don't "make" potato
>>> chips.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm
>> seeing potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use
>> restraint not to indulgse... potato chips have to be the most
>> valuless 'food'. But I like potato chips, still I buy them only
>> 3-4 times a year.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I was talking about our chips (home fries??
>>

> Sure, home fries.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Heh I was starting to wonder ... again Our chips are like this:
>
> https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
>
> I know what your chips are (my crisps) then then I hear about
> French fries and Home fries
>
> ?????

French Fries are like your chips, but often cut a bit thinner.

Home fries are various sized slices that may be made by first par-
boiling the potatoes and then pan frying in some sort of fat, or they
may be fried raw.

Then there's hash browns which are made from shredded potatoes,
sometimes formed into patties or sometimes somewhat loose. They are
usually pan fried. Commrcially they may be deep fried.

Wayne Boatwright

===

Thanks you. I have a recipe somewhere for hash browns. Cooked in a round
tin and sliced

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 2:55:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >
> On 8/20/2017 3:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message ...
> > On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 19:21:26 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> Those are what I call quarter fries. Basically quartered russet
> potatoes either battered and deep fried or rubbed with oil, seasoned and
> baked at high heat in an oven.
>
> >> Potatoes are so wonderful. You can do so many things with them and
> >> cook them many different ways. Sliced thick or thin. Frenched,
> >> quartered, cubed. Baked, fried, fanned...
> >>
> >> Potatoes are a staple in my house. But I don't "make" potato chips.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm seeing
> > potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use restraint not to
> > indulgse... potato chips have to be the most valuless 'food'. But I
> > like potato chips, still I buy them only 3-4 times a year.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I was talking about our chips (home fries??
> >

> Sure, home fries.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Heh I was starting to wonder ... again Our chips are like this:
>
> https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
>
> I know what your chips are (my crisps) then then I hear about French fries
> and Home fries
>
> ?????
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I have never seen that simple wikipedia. It's an interesting site. Thanks.
We don't have many fish & chips restaurants on this rock. It's not that we
don't like fish, it's just that those places always insist on cooking the
fish.

That's OK, if I ever need to get some fish and chips, I know just where to
go. Hot Dog on a Stick, of course!

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...54mnQ/348s.jpg

Home fries are fried potatoes. The potatoes are chopped up coarsely and pan
fried. My guess is that most people buy frozen home fries to make that dish.
If the potatoes are fried with onions and peppers it's called "Potatoes
O'Brian." Evidently, it's an Irish Dish.

http://www.oreida.com/Products/P/Pot...n#.WZnNgih96Uk

==

All new to me) Thanks)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 3:38:50 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 09:03:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:03:29 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >
> >> If one wants to put any one country name on chips/fries (why would
> >> one?), it should be Belgium IMO.

> >The potatoes are frenched (French cut).
> >
> ><http://www.dictionary.com/browse/french-cut>

> So it should really be "frenched fries"?

Probably, but "frenched" has other meanings, and we're inclined
to drop unnecessary syllables anyway, don'ch'ya'know?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 3:43:22 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:05:29 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >> You add potato chips to a hamburger on bun? That's weird.
> >> Never heard of that one.
> >>
> >> I occasionally eat chips on the side but never on a sandwich.
> >>

> >Yep! Nice crisp (like Lays) potato chips right on top of the burger.
> >
> >I don't add much of anything to a good home ground burger, cooked medium
> >rare, other than cheese. Oh, and the bun should be lightly toasted,
> >too. I'll eat a few chips on the side. But why not put them on the burger?

> Sounds like -how do I put that without sounding snooty- a lower
> socio-economic approach to food? What about melting M&Ms and spreading
> them on your bread? Would Elvis have liked that?

Melted M&Ms wouldn't work very well, because of the crunchy outer
coating.

<http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/toasted-bread-with-chocolate>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> wrote in message ...
> On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 19:21:26 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> My husband makes the 'special Daddy Fries' now and again. Preferred is
>>> russets but he'll use whatever I have. Most of the time the deep fryer
>>> after coating in egg and a flour mix with some minimal spicing.
>>>
>>> I make home fries too and the difference is mainly mine are thicker cut
>>> wedges.
>>>

>>Potatoes are so wonderful. You can do so many things with them and cook
>>them many different ways. Sliced thick or thin. Frenched, quartered,
>>cubed. Baked, fried, fanned...
>>
>>Potatoes are a staple in my house. But I don't "make" potato chips.
>>
>>Jilll

> Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm seeing
> potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use restraint not to
> indulgse... potato chips have to be the most valuless 'food'. But I
> like potato chips, still I buy them only 3-4 times a year.
>
> ==
>
> I was talking about our chips (home fries??

Our chips are your crisps. Here, home fries are dices of potato that are
fried in a pan. French fries come in a variety of shapes and are usually
deep fried but sometimes baked in the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> ===
>
> Thanks you. I have a recipe somewhere for hash browns. Cooked in a round
> tin and sliced

Hash browns are not cooked in a tin or sliced. They are shredded potatoes,
usually pan fried. But sometimes they are formed into cakes and deep fried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 13:06:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 3:38:50 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 09:03:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >The potatoes are frenched (French cut).
>> >
>> ><http://www.dictionary.com/browse/french-cut>

>> So it should really be "frenched fries"?

>Probably, but "frenched" has other meanings, and we're inclined
>to drop unnecessary syllables anyway, don'ch'ya'know?

I thought frenching was what they did with lamb racks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> wrote in message ...
> On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 19:21:26 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> My husband makes the 'special Daddy Fries' now and again. Preferred is
>>> russets but he'll use whatever I have. Most of the time the deep fryer
>>> after coating in egg and a flour mix with some minimal spicing.
>>>
>>> I make home fries too and the difference is mainly mine are thicker cut
>>> wedges.
>>>

>>Potatoes are so wonderful. You can do so many things with them and cook
>>them many different ways. Sliced thick or thin. Frenched, quartered,
>>cubed. Baked, fried, fanned...
>>
>>Potatoes are a staple in my house. But I don't "make" potato chips.
>>
>>Jilll

> Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm seeing
> potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use restraint not to
> indulgse... potato chips have to be the most valuless 'food'. But I
> like potato chips, still I buy them only 3-4 times a year.
>
> ==
>
> I was talking about our chips (home fries??

Our chips are your crisps. Here, home fries are dices of potato that are
fried in a pan. French fries come in a variety of shapes and are usually
deep fried but sometimes baked in the oven.

===

Thank you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> ===
>
> Thanks you. I have a recipe somewhere for hash browns. Cooked in a round
> tin and sliced

Hash browns are not cooked in a tin or sliced. They are shredded potatoes,
usually pan fried. But sometimes they are formed into cakes and deep fried.

====

Yes I know.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 2:55:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >>
>> On 8/20/2017 3:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> > wrote in message ...

>> Those are what I call quarter fries. Basically quartered russet
>> potatoes either battered and deep fried or rubbed with oil, seasoned and
>> baked at high heat in an oven.

>> > Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm seeing
>> > potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use restraint not to
>> > indulgse... potato chips have to be the most valuless 'food'. But I
>> > like potato chips, still I buy them only 3-4 times a year.
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > I was talking about our chips (home fries??
>> >

>> Sure, home fries.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Heh I was starting to wonder ... again Our chips are like this:
>>
>> https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
>>
>> I know what your chips are (my crisps) then then I hear about French
>> fries
>> and Home fries
>>
>> ?????
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I have never seen that simple wikipedia. It's an interesting site. Thanks.
> We don't have many fish & chips restaurants on this rock. It's not that we
> don't like fish, it's just that those places always insist on cooking the
> fish.
>
> That's OK, if I ever need to get some fish and chips, I know just where to
> go. Hot Dog on a Stick, of course!
>
> https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...54mnQ/348s.jpg
>
> Home fries are fried potatoes. The potatoes are chopped up coarsely and
> pan fried. My guess is that most people buy frozen home fries to make that
> dish. If the potatoes are fried with onions and peppers it's called
> "Potatoes O'Brian." Evidently, it's an Irish Dish.
>
> http://www.oreida.com/Products/P/Pot...n#.WZnNgih96Uk
>
> ==
>
> All new to me) Thanks)

I make a dish with Potatoes O'Brian. Brown and crumble a pound of ground
beef. Remove from pan and add the potatoes. Cook until crisp then add the
ground beef back in and a jar of salsa. Cook until heated through. Top with
cheese, sour cream, jalapenos or whatever similar you like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:

>> Those are what I call quarter fries. Basically quartered russet
>> potatoes either battered and deep fried or rubbed with oil, seasoned and
>> baked at high heat in an oven.

> I have never heard of or tried battered fries. Might be good
> though?

Beer battered are common here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 13:22:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> wrote in message ...
>> On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 19:21:26 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>>Potatoes are so wonderful. You can do so many things with them and cook
>>>them many different ways. Sliced thick or thin. Frenched, quartered,
>>>cubed. Baked, fried, fanned...
>>>
>>>Potatoes are a staple in my house. But I don't "make" potato chips.
>>>
>>>Jilll

>> Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm seeing
>> potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use restraint not to
>> indulgse... potato chips have to be the most valuless 'food'. But I
>> like potato chips, still I buy them only 3-4 times a year.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I was talking about our chips (home fries??

>Our chips are your crisps. Here, home fries are dices of potato that are
>fried in a pan. French fries come in a variety of shapes and are usually
>deep fried but sometimes baked in the oven.

To a Netherlander chips are what they are to Americans. Maybe because
they came to NL from the US. But in an Australian snackbar, I'd be
very surprised if I got cold US chips with my fish and chips.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 11:09:28 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 20-Aug-2017, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 20:24:30 -0400, wrote:
>>
>> > Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm
>> > seeing
>> > potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use
>> > restraint not to
>> > indulgse... potato chips have to be the most valuless 'food'.
>> > But I
>> > like potato chips, still I buy them only 3-4 times a year.

>> Next time you see a buy 1 get 3 free can you post a picture of
>> that?
>> Tanks Shelly!
>>
>> -sw

>I've seen buy 3 tires get one free and buy 1 get 3 free suits
>(Jos. A Banks); but I've never seen any food item buy 1 get 3
>free. If I ever do see such an offer, I hope it is for something
>I'd actually want. So many of the multiple item deals in
>supermarkets here are for things I don't even want one of.

I don't buy tires often so I don't check prices but the lowest prices
around here are at Mavis Tire. I haven't bought a suit in more than
20 years... I have two that fit well in case I need to attend a
funeral, one will be for mine.

Just returned from town, bought bread, milk, eggs, eight nice ctr cut
loin rib pork chops at $2.49/lb and a top round for London broil, will
be for dinner tonight along with baked spuds, and gonna cook a half
dozen yellow crooknecks just picked. I bought the Coke on sale; B2G3.
And I couldn't resist, they had Wise potato chips "Golden Original" in
a 9 oz bag, got two because they were on sale at two for $5... the
bags were printed $3.99 so was a good enough bargain. The biggest
bargain are the purple plums picked from our tree, absolutely
scrumptious, small (a bit smaller than a golf ball), very SWEET!
Already picked about 1,000, at least 2,000 more on the tree but need
to get the ladder... already picked what we could reach from the
ground and by standing on the small tractor. I've already eaten more
than a dozen so better stop while I'm ahead. We have a neighbor who
offered to turn a bunch into jam.... she can do the labor and keep
half.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sun 20 Aug 2017 12:24:35p, jmcquown told us...

>>> I have never heard of or tried battered fries. Might be good
>>> though?
>>>

>> Oh, this time of year you should also think about battered fried
>> zucchini or yellow squash. Yum!
>>
>> Jill
>>

> You can batter fry almost anything and it will most likely be good! :-)

Even if you don't like battered okra...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 4:08 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 3:43:22 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:05:29 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Yep! Nice crisp (like Lays) potato chips right on top of the burger.
>>>
>>> I don't add much of anything to a good home ground burger, cooked medium
>>> rare, other than cheese. Oh, and the bun should be lightly toasted,
>>> too. I'll eat a few chips on the side. But why not put them on the burger?

>> Sounds like -how do I put that without sounding snooty- a lower
>> socio-economic approach to food? What about melting M&Ms and spreading
>> them on your bread? Would Elvis have liked that?

I'm not quite that white trash.

> Melted M&Ms wouldn't work very well, because of the crunchy outer
> coating.
>
> <http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/toasted-bread-with-chocolate>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'm not sure how crispy potato chips equate to putting chocolate on a
hambuger.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:06:04 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/20/2017 4:08 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 3:43:22 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>>> Sounds like -how do I put that without sounding snooty- a lower
>>> socio-economic approach to food? What about melting M&Ms and spreading
>>> them on your bread? Would Elvis have liked that?

>I'm not quite that white trash.
>
>> Melted M&Ms wouldn't work very well, because of the crunchy outer
>> coating.
>>
>> <http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/toasted-bread-with-chocolate>
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I'm not sure how crispy potato chips equate to putting chocolate on a
>hambuger.

They're both examples of using a slightly junky, snacky prefab item as
a lunch or dinner ingredient.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 4:26:23 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 13:06:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 3:38:50 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 09:03:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> So it should really be "frenched fries"?

> >Probably, but "frenched" has other meanings, and we're inclined
> >to drop unnecessary syllables anyway, don'ch'ya'know?

> I thought frenching was what they did with lamb racks.

Yep. That too.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 5:09:22 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:06:04 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >I'm not quite that white trash.
> >
> >> Melted M&Ms wouldn't work very well, because of the crunchy outer
> >> coating.
> >>
> >> <http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/toasted-bread-with-chocolate>
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> >I'm not sure how crispy potato chips equate to putting chocolate on a
> >hambuger.

> They're both examples of using a slightly junky, snacky prefab item as
> a lunch or dinner ingredient.

Definitely snooty.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/20/2017 9:19 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I like potato chips when I make a hamburger. I like them *on* an
>>> hamburger! That's really the only time I eat potato chips.

>> You add potato chips to a hamburger on bun? That's weird.
>> Never heard of that one.
>>
>> I occasionally eat chips on the side but never on a sandwich.
>>

> Yep! Nice crisp (like Lays) potato chips right on top of the burger.
>
> I don't add much of anything to a good home ground burger, cooked medium
> rare, other than cheese. Oh, and the bun should be lightly toasted,
> too. I'll eat a few chips on the side. But why not put them on the burger?
>
> Jill

"toast" the bun by placing the two halves face down in some butter in
a hot frying pan until they're just golden brown - that's the best

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:26:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 5:09:22 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:06:04 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >I'm not quite that white trash.

>> >I'm not sure how crispy potato chips equate to putting chocolate on a
>> >hambuger.

>> They're both examples of using a slightly junky, snacky prefab item as
>> a lunch or dinner ingredient.

>Definitely snooty.

Are chips slightly junky? Yes.
Are chips snacky? Yes.
Are chips prefab? Yes.

The only snoot is between your ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:57:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 2:55:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "jmcquown" wrote in message news > >
> > On 8/20/2017 3:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > > wrote in message ...

> > Those are what I call quarter fries. Basically quartered russet
> > potatoes either battered and deep fried or rubbed with oil, seasoned and
> > baked at high heat in an oven.

> > > Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm seeing
> > > potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use restraint not to
> > > indulgse... potato chips have to be the most valuless 'food'. But I
> > > like potato chips, still I buy them only 3-4 times a year.
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > I was talking about our chips (home fries??
> > >

> > Sure, home fries.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Heh I was starting to wonder ... again Our chips are like this:
> >
> > https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
> >
> > I know what your chips are (my crisps) then then I hear about French fries
> > and Home fries
> >
> > ?????
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I have never seen that simple wikipedia. It's an interesting site. Thanks.
> We don't have many fish & chips restaurants on this rock. It's not that we
> don't like fish, it's just that those places always insist on cooking the
> fish.
>
> That's OK, if I ever need to get some fish and chips, I know just where to
> go. Hot Dog on a Stick, of course!
>
> https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...54mnQ/348s.jpg
>
> Home fries are fried potatoes. The potatoes are chopped up coarsely and pan
> fried. My guess is that most people buy frozen home fries to make that dish.
> If the potatoes are fried with onions and peppers it's called "Potatoes
> O'Brian." Evidently, it's an Irish Dish.
>
> http://www.oreida.com/Products/P/Pot...n#.WZnNgih96Uk
>
> ==
>
> All new to me) Thanks)
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Corn beef hash patties used to be popular in Hawaii because it was an item at okazuyas back in the day. My auntie had a okazuya. They always had corn beef hash. These people were doing Asian fusion back in the 50s.

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2014/04...orite-okazuya/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2017 10:09 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:06:04 -0400, jmcquown >

>> I'm not sure how crispy potato chips equate to putting chocolate on a
>> hambuger.

> They're both examples of using a slightly junky, snacky prefab item as
> a lunch or dinner ingredient.

Many years ago, I spent the summer in Amsterdam. The hostel I was
staying at (near the Concertgebouw) offered breakfast, which consisted
of slabs of white bread, butter (or was it marg?), with a choice of
either milk or dark chocolate sprinkles...
And coffee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 08:02:51 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 8/20/2017 10:09 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:06:04 -0400, jmcquown >

>>> I'm not sure how crispy potato chips equate to putting chocolate on a
>>> hambuger.

>> They're both examples of using a slightly junky, snacky prefab item as
>> a lunch or dinner ingredient.
>>

>Many years ago, I spent the summer in Amsterdam. The hostel I was
>staying at (near the Concertgebouw) offered breakfast, which consisted
>of slabs of white bread, butter (or was it marg?), with a choice of
>either milk or dark chocolate sprinkles...
>And coffee.

Awful. I hope they offered more than just sprinkles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:57:37 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 2:55:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "jmcquown" wrote in message news > >
> > On 8/20/2017 3:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > > wrote in message ...

> > Those are what I call quarter fries. Basically quartered russet
> > potatoes either battered and deep fried or rubbed with oil, seasoned and
> > baked at high heat in an oven.

> > > Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm seeing
> > > potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use restraint not to
> > > indulgse... potato chips have to be the most valuless 'food'. But I
> > > like potato chips, still I buy them only 3-4 times a year.
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > I was talking about our chips (home fries??
> > >

> > Sure, home fries.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Heh I was starting to wonder ... again Our chips are like this:
> >
> > https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
> >
> > I know what your chips are (my crisps) then then I hear about French
> > fries
> > and Home fries
> >
> > ?????
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I have never seen that simple wikipedia. It's an interesting site. Thanks.
> We don't have many fish & chips restaurants on this rock. It's not that we
> don't like fish, it's just that those places always insist on cooking the
> fish.
>
> That's OK, if I ever need to get some fish and chips, I know just where to
> go. Hot Dog on a Stick, of course!
>
> https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...54mnQ/348s.jpg
>
> Home fries are fried potatoes. The potatoes are chopped up coarsely and
> pan
> fried. My guess is that most people buy frozen home fries to make that
> dish.
> If the potatoes are fried with onions and peppers it's called "Potatoes
> O'Brian." Evidently, it's an Irish Dish.
>
> http://www.oreida.com/Products/P/Pot...n#.WZnNgih96Uk
>
> ==
>
> All new to me) Thanks)
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Corn beef hash patties used to be popular in Hawaii because it was an item
at okazuyas back in the day. My auntie had a okazuya. They always had corn
beef hash. These people were doing Asian fusion back in the 50s.

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2014/04...orite-okazuya/

==

Thanks. I had to look up 'okazuya') They look lovely))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 13:22:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> wrote in message ...
>> On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 19:21:26 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>>Potatoes are so wonderful. You can do so many things with them and cook
>>>them many different ways. Sliced thick or thin. Frenched, quartered,
>>>cubed. Baked, fried, fanned...
>>>
>>>Potatoes are a staple in my house. But I don't "make" potato chips.
>>>
>>>Jilll

>> Me neither, there are always potato chips BOGO. Lately I'm seeing
>> potato chips buy one get three free... I need to use restraint not to
>> indulgse... potato chips have to be the most valuless 'food'. But I
>> like potato chips, still I buy them only 3-4 times a year.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I was talking about our chips (home fries??

>Our chips are your crisps. Here, home fries are dices of potato that are
>fried in a pan. French fries come in a variety of shapes and are usually
>deep fried but sometimes baked in the oven.

To a Netherlander chips are what they are to Americans. Maybe because
they came to NL from the US. But in an Australian snackbar, I'd be
very surprised if I got cold US chips with my fish and chips.

==

Unheard of here )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 8:22 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 08:02:51 +0100, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> On 8/20/2017 10:09 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:06:04 -0400, jmcquown >

>>> They're both examples of using a slightly junky, snacky prefab item as
>>> a lunch or dinner ingredient.
>>>

>> Many years ago, I spent the summer in Amsterdam. The hostel I was
>> staying at (near the Concertgebouw) offered breakfast, which consisted
>> of slabs of white bread, butter (or was it marg?), with a choice of
>> either milk or dark chocolate sprinkles...
>> And coffee.

> Awful. I hope they offered more than just sprinkles.

Nope. Bread, butter, sprinkles. I opted for the dark sprinkles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 8:23 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 21 Aug 2017 12:02:51a, S Viemeister told us...
>
>> On 8/20/2017 10:09 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:06:04 -0400, jmcquown

>>> They're both examples of using a slightly junky, snacky prefab
>>> item as a lunch or dinner ingredient.
>>>

>> Many years ago, I spent the summer in Amsterdam. The hostel I was
>> staying at (near the Concertgebouw) offered breakfast, which
>> consisted of slabs of white bread, butter (or was it marg?), with
>> a choice of either milk or dark chocolate sprinkles...
>> And coffee.
>>

> Did they offer anything else to drink if you chose the chocolate
> sprinkles in lieu of milk?

Coffee or water to drink. Sprinkles on buttered bread to eat. That was it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 08:44:28 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 8/21/2017 8:22 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 08:02:51 +0100, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:

>>> Many years ago, I spent the summer in Amsterdam. The hostel I was
>>> staying at (near the Concertgebouw) offered breakfast, which consisted
>>> of slabs of white bread, butter (or was it marg?), with a choice of
>>> either milk or dark chocolate sprinkles...
>>> And coffee.

>> Awful. I hope they offered more than just sprinkles.
>>

>Nope. Bread, butter, sprinkles. I opted for the dark sprinkles.

Dutch eat all kinds of sweet stuff on their bread for breakfast,
especially children: chocolate sprinkles, sugary sprinkles, aniseed
sprinkles, jams of course, molasses, apple molasses, "coconut bread",
caramel spread etc. I stopped eating that at age 12 or so, but if they
gave you no choice...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 07:23:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 21 Aug 2017 12:02:51a, S Viemeister told us...
>
>> On 8/20/2017 10:09 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:06:04 -0400, jmcquown

>>> They're both examples of using a slightly junky, snacky prefab
>>> item as a lunch or dinner ingredient.
>>>

>> Many years ago, I spent the summer in Amsterdam. The hostel I was
>> staying at (near the Concertgebouw) offered breakfast, which
>> consisted of slabs of white bread, butter (or was it marg?), with
>> a choice of either milk or dark chocolate sprinkles...
>> And coffee.
>>

>Did they offer anything else to drink if you chose the chocolate
>sprinkles in lieu of milk?

It wasn't dark chocolate sprinkles or milk, but dark chocolate
sprinkles or milk chocolate sprinkles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 8/21/2017 8:23 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Many years ago, I spent the summer in Amsterdam. The hostel I was
>>> staying at (near the Concertgebouw) offered breakfast, which
>>> consisted of slabs of white bread, butter (or was it marg?), with
>>> a choice of either milk or dark chocolate sprinkles...
>>> And coffee.
>>>

>> Did they offer anything else to drink if you chose the chocolate
>> sprinkles in lieu of milk?
>>

> Coffee or water to drink. Sprinkles on buttered bread to eat. That was it.

Not so different than a Continental breakfast when I was a kid. Most motels
offered donuts and coffee. Perhaps tea. Better places might offer some kind
of pastry instead of the donuts. Later still, some places added muffins.
Then came the toaster in addition. One or two types of bread, maybe bagels
which you would toast yourself. Butter or margarine, packets of peanut
butter or cream cheese, perhaps jelly or jam. Some places even offered fresh
fruit (apples, oranges, bananas) and perhaps juice and milk. Later still,
most places added a selection of cold cereals and packets of instant
oatmeal.

Can't remember the last time we had just those offerings. I think people
really wanted a hot breakfast. So now it's usually all of those things and
at the very least, some sort of pancakes or French toast (likely came
frozen) and some sausages or bacon. Some places also do eggs and potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 9:30 AM, Bruce wrote:
> > wrote:

>>> Many years ago, I spent the summer in Amsterdam. The hostel I was
>>> staying at (near the Concertgebouw) offered breakfast, which
>>> consisted of slabs of white bread, butter (or was it marg?), with
>>> a choice of either milk or dark chocolate sprinkles...
>>> And coffee.

>> Did they offer anything else to drink if you chose the chocolate
>> sprinkles in lieu of milk?

> It wasn't dark chocolate sprinkles or milk, but dark chocolate
> sprinkles or milk chocolate sprinkles.

Yes.