Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 22:39:53 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>
>thanks

Some nice fettucine or linguine, they will get plenty of salads.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I,d go with crablegs. If you can pay it you cant miss. Mho
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2017 6:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>
> thanks

Cole slaw, either chopped or grated and soggy depending on your
preferred method.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:14:34 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Cole slaw, either chopped or grated and soggy depending on your
> preferred method.

Hahahahahahaaaaaaaa, go stand in the corner!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 8/8/2017 6:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Cole slaw, either chopped or grated and soggy depending on your preferred
> method.

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2017 3:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>
> thanks

any of the small southern plates on the Pub's menu.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2017 5:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

Perhaps some nice dinner rolls or sliced artisan breads (accompanied
with real butter)? Or maybe a variety of crackers and cheeses?

Sky

===============================
Kitchen Rule #1 - Cook's Choice
Kitchen Rule #2 - Use the Timer
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2017 5:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>
> thanks

Baked beans .

--

Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 19:33:07 -0500, Sky
> wrote:

>On 8/8/2017 5:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>

>Perhaps some nice dinner rolls or sliced artisan breads (accompanied
>with real butter)? Or maybe a variety of crackers and cheeses?

Major garden salad, with ten different veggies, canned beans, pasta,
olives, cheese/sausage cubes, homemade dressing
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>
> thanks

Pasta salad. Large pasta shapes. Large shell is perfect if you can find it.
All sorts of raw veggies cut to the size of the pasta. Black olives and
green stuffed olives. Freshly parsley snipped. Green or other onions. Can
add kidney beans, cubes of Swiss cheese, hard/dry salami cut in slices then
strips. Italian dressing, salt, pepper. Cook, drain and cool the pasta then
mix it all together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 8/8/2017 6:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Cole slaw, either chopped or grated and soggy depending on your preferred
> method.

Needs zucchini in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 19:33:07 -0500, Sky
> > wrote:
>
>>On 8/8/2017 5:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>>

>>Perhaps some nice dinner rolls or sliced artisan breads (accompanied
>>with real butter)? Or maybe a variety of crackers and cheeses?

> Major garden salad, with ten different veggies, canned beans, pasta,
> olives, cheese/sausage cubes, homemade dressing

Whoa! I said similar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> On 8-Aug-2017, tert in seattle > wrote:
>
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be
>> provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks

> Brown Buttered Corn.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Brown Buttered Corn
>
> Recipe By :Melissa Clark
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 3 ears corn -- shucked
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 4 sprigs thyme -- preferably lemon thyme
> Coarse sea salt
> Freshly ground black pepper
> Chopped fresh soft herbs (basil -- mint,
> parsley, cilantro), optional
>
> Break ears of corn in half and stand one half vertically on a
> cutting board. Using a sawing motion, run a knife between cob and
> kernels to remove kernels. Using back of knife, scrape denuded
> cob to release corn's juices. Transfer kernels and juice to a
> bowl. Repeat with remaining corn.
>
> Melt butter in a saucepan; add thyme. Let butter cook until you
> see golden brown specks in bottom of pan and butter smells nutty,
> about 5 minutes. Add corn, juices and a large pinch of salt and
> pepper; stir well and cover pot. Let cook until corn is tender,
> about 5 minutes.
>
> Remove thyme sprigs, add more salt and pepper if desired, and
> serve hot, alone or as a side dish, garnished with herbs if
> desired.

> "This side dish is easier than corn on the cob. Fresh corn
> kernels are cooked in butter browned so that it takes on a deep
> caramelized flavor."
> Source:
> "New York Times, Food section"
> S(Internet Address):
> "https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018599-brown-buttered-corn"
> Yield:
> "4 servings"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 686 Calories; 50g Fat
> (60.8% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 62g Carbohydrate; 14g
> Dietary Fiber; 124mg Cholesterol; 518mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4
> Grain(Starch); 9 1/2 Fat.
>
> Serving Ideas : Try it with these roasted fish fillets.
>

> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

what do those NYT people know - easier than corn on the cobb my butt!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/8/2017 6:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Cole slaw, either chopped or grated and soggy depending on your
> preferred method.

thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 08 Aug 2017 03:39:53p, tert in seattle told us...
>
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be
>> provided, as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Besides side dishes, you might consider taking a dessert, perhaps bake
> a pie or cake.

too much work

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> On 8/8/2017 5:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>

> Perhaps some nice dinner rolls or sliced artisan breads (accompanied
> with real butter)? Or maybe a variety of crackers and cheeses?
>
> Sky

thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks

> Pasta salad. Large pasta shapes. Large shell is perfect if you can find it.
> All sorts of raw veggies cut to the size of the pasta. Black olives and
> green stuffed olives. Freshly parsley snipped. Green or other onions. Can
> add kidney beans, cubes of Swiss cheese, hard/dry salami cut in slices then
> strips. Italian dressing, salt, pepper. Cook, drain and cool the pasta then
> mix it all together.

thanks but not my thing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>
> thanks

actually I'm thinking I'll do my latest fetish, tomato cucumber yogurt
salad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 04:28:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 08 Aug 2017 08:21:21p, tert in seattle told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Tue 08 Aug 2017 03:39:53p, tert in seattle told us...

>>> Besides side dishes, you might consider taking a dessert, perhaps
>>> bake a pie or cake.

>> too much work
>>

>Certain people in our social group predictably bring things like buns,
>chips, jarred salsa, peper and plastic goods, etc., of which are
>certainly useful, but always purchased with little effort to offer.

Ok, I've read that 4 times now and it still doesn't make sense. You
can talk better than that, Whiny Wayne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

Always appreciated, little labor, and easily transported... just bring
a few bottles of dressing:
https://postimg.org/image/xx56o421x/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 03:22:11 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>>
>>> thanks

>> Pasta salad. Large pasta shapes. Large shell is perfect if you can find it.
>> All sorts of raw veggies cut to the size of the pasta. Black olives and
>> green stuffed olives. Freshly parsley snipped. Green or other onions. Can
>> add kidney beans, cubes of Swiss cheese, hard/dry salami cut in slices then
>> strips. Italian dressing, salt, pepper. Cook, drain and cool the pasta then
>> mix it all together.

>thanks but not my thing

Number one priority of a civilized human being is to please the
majority of guests first and yourself last, BEAST!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 03:21:21 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 08 Aug 2017 03:39:53p, tert in seattle told us...
>>
>>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be
>>> provided, as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>

>> Besides side dishes, you might consider taking a dessert, perhaps bake
>> a pie or cake.

>too much work

Huh? The oven does the majority of work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 03:23:26 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>tert in seattle wrote:
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks

>actually I'm thinking I'll do my latest fetish, tomato cucumber yogurt
>salad

Good it's your fetish as you'll be eating most yourself, a lot of
people don't care for yogurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:40:06 PM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:
> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>
> thanks

Tabouli or some other vegetable-heavy dish. I don't ever seem to be
able to get enough vegetables at potlucks; it's always meats and
carbs as far as the eye can see.

Maybe that's because I'm in the Midwest...

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2017 12:40:26 UTC+2 schrieb Janet:
> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
> > as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

> Ratatouille.
>
> it can be served cold so if the host is hassled there's no need to
> fuss about in the kitchen reheating.
>
> it's a safe choice for any vegetarians, but meat eaters love it too and
> it goes with grilled chicken.
>
> if there's any left over it'll be even better the next day
>
> if you have a glut of tomatoes and zucchini it'll be really cheap to
> make.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/v...c-ratatouille/

Excellent idea!
I use a bit laurel and oregano, too. No lemon, but some pure apple juice
when it's cooked down quite far.
Easily done in a rice cooker ...

Another way to get rid of zucchini in a pleasant way:

Zucchini, Korean style

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds zucchini (any size as long as the skin isn't really hard)
3 Tbs neutral cooking oil (I prefer sunflower seed)
3 garlic cloves (or as many as you prefer)
3 longish red peppers (hot or mild; depends on your taste) "
1 dash roasted Sesame seed oil
3 Tbs sugar (or less)
5 Tbs soy Sauce or
1 Ts salt
2-4 Tbs unflavored Vinegar

Wash zucchini, trim the ends, half or quarter lengthwise (depending on the
size), cut up diagonally in slices of 1/4 to 1/3 inch.
Heat up the neutral oil in a large pan/skillet with the garlic halved
lengthwise and the peppers halved diagonally or whole. Don't brown the
garlic much, it tends to get bitter otherwise!
Add the zucchini and the sugar, stir and let them brown a bit, stir again,
reduce the heat, add soy sauce or salt and vinegar and let simmer until
the zucchini are done and most of the liquid has evaporated.
Adjust salt/sweet/sour to taste.
Serve at any temperature, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
Keeps very well in an air-tight container in the fridge and gets even
better then. Therefore, you may multiply the amounts used - left-overs
are no problem. If there happen to be any, that is...

You may prepare dried and hydrated shiitake, stems removed, the same way.
Or lotus roots.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2017 6:50 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:40:06 PM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks

> Tabouli or some other vegetable-heavy dish. I don't ever seem to be
> able to get enough vegetables at potlucks; it's always meats and
> carbs as far as the eye can see.
>
> Maybe that's because I'm in the Midwest...
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The pot lucks I've attended were always heavy on desserts and pasta
salad and potato salad. It's hard to say without knowing what else is
in the lineup other than grilled chicken. Side dishes? How about Chex
Snack mix? Potato chips and dip.

We had a lot of pot lucks at work. We had a sign-up sheet specifiying
what was already being provided. Bring one of the missing items. Fresh
greens/salad was usually one of them. The men who didn't cook
invariably signed up to bring paper plates, plastic knives/forks and
napkins. The company started providing those so they had to figure out
something else. It's not easy, unless you know what other people are
already bringing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 07:51:07 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/9/2017 6:50 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:40:06 PM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>>
>>> thanks

>> Tabouli or some other vegetable-heavy dish. I don't ever seem to be
>> able to get enough vegetables at potlucks; it's always meats and
>> carbs as far as the eye can see.
>>
>> Maybe that's because I'm in the Midwest...
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>The pot lucks I've attended were always heavy on desserts and pasta
>salad and potato salad. It's hard to say without knowing what else is
>in the lineup other than grilled chicken. Side dishes? How about Chex
>Snack mix? Potato chips and dip.
>
>We had a lot of pot lucks at work. We had a sign-up sheet specifiying
>what was already being provided. Bring one of the missing items. Fresh
>greens/salad was usually one of them. The men who didn't cook
>invariably signed up to bring paper plates, plastic knives/forks and
>napkins. The company started providing those so they had to figure out
>something else. It's not easy, unless you know what other people are
>already bringing.
>
>Jill

We didn't do pot lucks at work, we would all agree on a menu and a
price, and food was purchased and prepared in the shop kitchen or
outdoors on a large grill and in large pots... the welders made the
large cooking equipment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-08 6:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

How about prosciutto and melon. When we threw a big party for my wife's
birthday that was one of the things I prepared and it was a big hit.
Melons are good at this time of the year. It's easy enough to throw
together and despite the high cost per pound for prosciutto, it is cut
so thin that it doesn't take much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2017 8:34 AM, wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 07:51:07 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Tabouli or some other vegetable-heavy dish. I don't ever seem to be
>>> able to get enough vegetables at potlucks; it's always meats and
>>> carbs as far as the eye can see.
>>>
>>> Maybe that's because I'm in the Midwest...
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> The pot lucks I've attended were always heavy on desserts and pasta
>> salad and potato salad. It's hard to say without knowing what else is
>> in the lineup other than grilled chicken. Side dishes? How about Chex
>> Snack mix? Potato chips and dip.
>>
>> We had a lot of pot lucks at work. We had a sign-up sheet specifiying
>> what was already being provided. Bring one of the missing items. Fresh
>> greens/salad was usually one of them. The men who didn't cook
>> invariably signed up to bring paper plates, plastic knives/forks and
>> napkins. The company started providing those so they had to figure out
>> something else. It's not easy, unless you know what other people are
>> already bringing.
>>
>> Jill

> We didn't do pot lucks at work, we would all agree on a menu and a
> price, and food was purchased and prepared in the shop kitchen or
> outdoors on a large grill and in large pots... the welders made the
> large cooking equipment.

I was one of those "office workers" you seem to deplore. We had pot
lucks frequently. The company provided the meat, the employees brought
the side dishes. Desserts (store bought pies and cakes) seemed to be
most common.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-09 12:28 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 08 Aug 2017 08:21:21p, tert in seattle told us...

> Certain people in our social group predictably bring things like buns,
> chips, jarred salsa, peper and plastic goods, etc., of which are
> certainly useful, but always purchased with little effort to offer.

A friend of ours used to host pot luck parties but he only invited
people who he knew would bring interesting dishes. Just this week I
read an advice column letter from someone wondering how to deal with a
friend whose contribution to their groups pot luck meals were
insultingly cheap, like a bowl of rice. I disagreed with the advice,
which was to accept it graciously and thank her. I would be more likely
to exclude her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Brown Buttered Corn
>
> Recipe By :Melissa Clark
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 3 ears corn -- shucked
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 4 sprigs thyme -- preferably lemon thyme
> Coarse sea salt
> Freshly ground black pepper
> Chopped fresh soft herbs (basil -- mint,
> parsley, cilantro), optional
>
> Break ears of corn in half and stand one half vertically on a
> cutting board. Using a sawing motion, run a knife between cob and
> kernels to remove kernels. Using back of knife, scrape denuded
> cob to release corn's juices. Transfer kernels and juice to a
> bowl. Repeat with remaining corn.
>
> Melt butter in a saucepan; add thyme. Let butter cook until you
> see golden brown specks in bottom of pan and butter smells nutty,
> about 5 minutes. Add corn, juices and a large pinch of salt and
> pepper; stir well and cover pot. Let cook until corn is tender,
> about 5 minutes.
>
> Remove thyme sprigs, add more salt and pepper if desired, and
> serve hot, alone or as a side dish, garnished with herbs if
> desired.

> "This side dish is easier than corn on the cob. Fresh corn
> kernels are cooked in butter browned so that it takes on a deep
> caramelized flavor."
> Source:
> "New York Times, Food section"
> S(Internet Address):
> "https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018599-brown-buttered-corn"
> Yield:
> "4 servings"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I saved this recipe. Almost what I do with fresh corn anyway
but with a few additions.

Don't bother breaking ears in half first though. That would
be a pain in the butt. I hold a whole ear and cut off the
bottom 2/3 first, then reverse and cut off the remaining 1/3.
One ear of corn yields a very generous pile of corn for
one serving.

I always cut fresh corn off the cob and eat or bag it
to freeze later on. I just microwave it and add some butter.

Next time I'll try your way. Brown the butter (I do this for
eggs all the time) and add some thyme and probably a bit of
basil. Stir that all up until hot. Sounds very tasty to me.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I bring a large crockpot of baked beans.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-09, jmcquown > wrote:

> I was one of those "office workers" you seem to deplore. We had pot
> lucks frequently. The company provided the meat, the employees brought
> the side dishes. Desserts (store bought pies and cakes) seemed to be
> most common.

I gave up on "work" pot lucks cuz everyone brought store-bought junk
or worse. What's worse? Take-out pizza, take-out Chinese, Chicken
buckets, etc. It was like nobody knew how to cook.

The only dish I ever saw that was home-cooked was some mamasita baked
two(2) goats heads for the Holloween pot-luck. She even put the
eyeballs back in. Those heads were scary, to be sure, but myself and
my Vietnamese engineer buddy loved every bit. We ate the flesh,
mostly from the head (cabeza), and had both heads to ourselves.
Mmmmmm..... Good eats!

Now, our local pot-lucks are all home cooked. My mac n' cheese is a
requested dish.

nb

Fun Vintage Item jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 50 16-12-2015 09:24 PM
Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM