Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

tert in seattle wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 20:13:41 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>>> I know the yogurt salad doesn't hold well - I'd have to make it right
>>> before the party, but if you kept up you'd have known to nevermind

>> If you would have been on the ball in the first place, you wouldn't
>> have even needed to post this damned thread.
>>
>> Oh, but sure - blame us for making suggestions for a dish you didn't
>> even have to bring in the first place. Duh. Way to go terd!
>>
>> -sw

>:-*

a couple people brought desserts -- salted caramel brownies, and cupcakes
of unknown composition with massive amounts of frosting (what the hell??)

no pies or cake cakes, or cobbler for that matter

my kid grabbed two brownies so I confiscated one, wrapped it in a napkin,
and ate it at home the next day

it was all right

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-14 8:56 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I'm not a "boomer" per se (depends on which war you're talking about)

> Wrong.
> The 'baby boomer generation' only talks about one war. World War
> 2 ended in 1945
> (Europe and then Pacific a few months later)
>
> Then all those young men came home, had sex and in 1946
> there was a "baby boom"

I am not so sure about that. Sure, the soldiers came home, married and
had kids. It was a relatively small portion of the population who went
overseas to fight, though s significant portion of the people of
reproduction age. Most of them had smaller families than their parents
had. In previous generations it was common to have a lot of children,
but the boomers usually limited their offspring to 3-4.

According to Stats Can data, the average household in the 1850s was 7.
There was a fairly drop over the decades and in the baby boomer age it
remained steady for a few years before they downward trend continued.

> Basically the "baby boom" generation was born between
> 1946 to 1964. That's the time span that those old
> WW2 soldiers made babies.
>
> Generations are normally considered to be
> 20-25 years difference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68Kl39nk0Y

>>> Have you never heard of the grey dollar/pound, the grey vote, silver
>>> surfers? ? WE ARE a boom generation, our sheer numbers mean businesses
>>> and politicians can't afford to ignore our voices, votes and spending
>>> power. Just look at the number of retired home owners downsizing to
>>> smaller property; they are freeing up capital to spend.

>> We've got all the money; Millenials have all the debt.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> I wonder how many credit cards these so-called millenials have. Got a
> mortgage? Make payments on cars? Can you afford to buy a new mattress,
> dsi1? To replace the one your wife alledgely nearly bled out on? He's
> an idiot stuck on a rock. Eating sugar laden spagetti with hot dogs and
> calls it good.
>
> Jill
>
> ===
>
> Why do you have to constantly drag up how he had to deal with his wife's
> illness??

Constantly? Sorry, but I really don't think so.

Jill

==

Well it isn't the first time you have said that about him having to buy a
new mattress

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message news
On 8/14/2017 9:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >
> On 8/14/2017 6:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 6:38:22 PM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
>>> In article >, says...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68Kl39nk0Y

>>> Have you never heard of the grey dollar/pound, the grey vote, silver
>>> surfers? ? WE ARE a boom generation, our sheer numbers mean businesses
>>> and politicians can't afford to ignore our voices, votes and spending
>>> power. Just look at the number of retired home owners downsizing to
>>> smaller property; they are freeing up capital to spend.

>> We've got all the money; Millenials have all the debt.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> I wonder how many credit cards these so-called millenials have. Got a
> mortgage? Make payments on cars? Can you afford to buy a new mattress,
> dsi1? To replace the one your wife alledgely nearly bled out on? He's
> an idiot stuck on a rock. Eating sugar laden spagetti with hot dogs and
> calls it good.
>
> Jill
>
> ===
>
> Why do you have to constantly drag up how he had to deal with his wife's
> illness??

By the way, you're one of the people dsi1 deems irrelevant when it comes
to tracking trends. Would you agree you're not relevant? Sorry, but I
don't think so.

Jill

==

lol grow up.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 8/14/2017 9:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68Kl39nk0Y

>>> We've got all the money; Millenials have all the debt.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I wonder how many credit cards these so-called millenials have. Got a
>> mortgage? Make payments on cars? Can you afford to buy a new mattress,
>> dsi1? To replace the one your wife alledgely nearly bled out on? He's
>> an idiot stuck on a rock. Eating sugar laden spagetti with hot dogs and
>> calls it good.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Why do you have to constantly drag up how he had to deal with his wife's
>> illness??
>>

> By the way, you're one of the people dsi1 deems irrelevant when it comes
> to tracking trends. Would you agree you're not relevant? Sorry, but I
> don't think so.
>
> Jill

How would you know though? The thing is Jill, I have been your age, and I
have lived to old age, you haven't yet, so get back to us with your opinions
on old age and relevance when you reach it. This isn't snark, it's a fact.

Cheri

==

+1

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Mon 14 Aug 2017 09:12:21a, Cheri told us...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news
>> On 8/14/2017 9:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68Kl39nk0Y

>>> I wonder how many credit cards these so-called millenials have.
>>> Got a mortgage? Make payments on cars? Can you afford to buy a
>>> new mattress, dsi1? To replace the one your wife alledgely
>>> nearly bled out on? He's an idiot stuck on a rock. Eating
>>> sugar laden spagetti with hot dogs and calls it good.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> Why do you have to constantly drag up how he had to deal with
>>> his wife's illness??
>>>

>> By the way, you're one of the people dsi1 deems irrelevant when
>> it comes to tracking trends. Would you agree you're not
>> relevant? Sorry, but I don't think so.
>>
>> Jill

> How would you know though? The thing is Jill, I have been your
> age, and I have lived to old age, you haven't yet, so get back to
> us with your opinions on old age and relevance when you reach it.
> This isn't snark, it's a fact.
>
> Cheri

I don't think Jill was being critical or cheeky about what she said.
I'm gussing that you, Ophelia, and I are of the same generation, and
I believe that Jill was saying that in her opinion we are relevant.

Wayne Boatwright

==

Is that what you really thought???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in
:
> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.45...
>
> I don't think Jill was being critical or cheeky about what
> she said. I'm gussing that you, Ophelia, and I are of the
> same generation, and I believe that Jill was saying that in
> her opinion we are relevant.
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> Is that what you really thought???

Don't **** off Lil' Wayne..he will hit
you with his purse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I just wrote all that to tell you. It comes from new friends with
>>> different values that often can overcome the old parental values.
>>> Teenagers are sick of mom and dad rules. They meet new cool
>>> friends and go with that. They want to fit in.
>>>

>>> Bottom line he
>>>
>>> You raise your cute kids and love them to death.
>>> Then they turn into annoying teenagers.
>>> By the time they graduate HS at age 18 or so
>>> you are glad that they will leave home soon
>>> either college or out in the world.
>>> Either way they are not in your house.
>>>
>>> God invented teenagers so you don't grieve
>>> too much when your children leave home.
>>> By then, you are glad of it.
>>> :-D

>> I must be the only person to raise my kids so they were civilised
>> around adults, whether parents or their friends parents. Offending
>> incurred instantaneous and undesirable punishment. Maybe mine were
>> cowards, but they seemed to avoid it.
>>

>I wonder just how much the nature versus nurture matters. A good friend
>has 3 boys. All were raised in a good environment, had college
>education paid for, many good opportunities. The middle child was
>adopted. He is still a very polite young man, but he did not go to
>college used drugs, spent some time in jail for robbery.
>
>Kids do notice things though. My son (now 47) did a few things recently
>that I thought were commendable. When I mention it, he just said he saw
>how I handled a similar situation in the past. That was 30 years ago
>when he was 17. Made me proud he paid attention and made good decisions.

I can't say, I asked mine why not one of them does any form of
volunteer work when all had watched both of us giving time and help to
the community - 'people just don't work for no pay these days" oops,
sorry I asked I think it is true, many events that required quite
a bit of volunteer work have been cancelled in the past few years for
lack of help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 8:29:06 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >
> On 8/14/2017 9:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > "jmcquown" wrote in message news > >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68Kl39nk0Y

> >> We've got all the money; Millenials have all the debt.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> > I wonder how many credit cards these so-called millenials have. Got a
> > mortgage? Make payments on cars? Can you afford to buy a new mattress,
> > dsi1? To replace the one your wife alledgely nearly bled out on? He's
> > an idiot stuck on a rock. Eating sugar laden spagetti with hot dogs and
> > calls it good.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Why do you have to constantly drag up how he had to deal with his wife's
> > illness??
> >

> Constantly? Sorry, but I really don't think so.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Well it isn't the first time you have said that about him having to buy a
> new mattress
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

That gal is obsessed with my bed stain. What she really wants is a photo of it. I should post it cause it would blow this entire newsgroup wide open.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-14 2:46 PM, wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 10:42:06 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>

>> Kids do notice things though. My son (now 47) did a few things recently
>> that I thought were commendable. When I mention it, he just said he saw
>> how I handled a similar situation in the past. That was 30 years ago
>> when he was 17. Made me proud he paid attention and made good decisions.

> I can't say, I asked mine why not one of them does any form of
> volunteer work when all had watched both of us giving time and help to
> the community - 'people just don't work for no pay these days" oops,
> sorry I asked I think it is true, many events that required quite
> a bit of volunteer work have been cancelled in the past few years for
> lack of help.

Perhaps volunteering depends to some degree on whether or not the
parents did volunteer work. My parents tended to get involved in our
activities. My mother did a number of volunteer gigs during her
lifetime. She and my father both helped out in out activities, like the
home and school association (PTA), scouting and hockey. My father had
been an air cadet officer after the war. He later jointed a service
club that sponsored the local air cadet squadron and he ended up back in
cadets as a civilian instructor, then as an officer and served many
years as the CO.

I have been involved with a number of local charity and not for profit
organizations. I was worked with a therapeutic riding teaching
physically and mentally disabled people to ride. For the last few years
I have been working on the local arts festival. When our son was in cubs
we helped out. My wife volunteers with her church's food and hygiene bank.

Our son has done quite a bit of volunteer work. He does translation
work, fits a program on the university radio station into his schedule
and he walks dogs at the humane society.

It is hard to get volunteers. Most people want nothing to do with it and
they will give it up at the drop of a hat. High school students here
have to log a certain number of volunteer hours in order to graduate.
We had a lot of them when I was doing the horse therapy. There were a
number of them, mostly girls, we stuck it out for entire sessions, going
above and beyond their required hours. Most of the others left as as
soon as they had the their hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 3:39:06 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> The reality is the boomers don't go to fast food restaurants much - except to meet up with their old gang in the mornings and drink coffee for hours.. The important customers at these joints are young people. Man up and quit whining about how you don't get to be king anymore.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPn8Y-FMUk

WTF? What makes you think boomers (people now aged between 53
and 70) have time to sit around at McDonald's? I'm 60 and
expect to work until I'm 68.

I don't go to fast food restaurants because their food is
shitty and I have the money to do better.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 10:09:47 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 3:39:06 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > The reality is the boomers don't go to fast food restaurants much - except to meet up with their old gang in the mornings and drink coffee for hours. The important customers at these joints are young people. Man up and quit whining about how you don't get to be king anymore.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPn8Y-FMUk

> WTF? What makes you think boomers (people now aged between 53
> and 70) have time to sit around at McDonald's? I'm 60 and
> expect to work until I'm 68.
>
> I don't go to fast food restaurants because their food is
> shitty and I have the money to do better.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

How the heck would you know about the boomers at McDonald's if you don't go to McDonald's? Sorry, I'm still not impressed with your superior attitude. Keep trying though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 13:09:39 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 3:39:06 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> The reality is the boomers don't go to fast food restaurants much - except to meet up with their old gang in the mornings and drink coffee for hours. The important customers at these joints are young people. Man up and quit whining about how you don't get to be king anymore.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPn8Y-FMUk

>WTF? What makes you think boomers (people now aged between 53
>and 70) have time to sit around at McDonald's? I'm 60 and
>expect to work until I'm 68.
>
>I don't go to fast food restaurants because their food is
>shitty and I have the money to do better.

Same here. I also wouldn't find any old gang at any McDonalds. Lol,
the idea... So we must be exceptions to dsi1's rule.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2017 4:09 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 3:39:06 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> The reality is the boomers don't go to fast food restaurants much - except to meet up with their old gang in the mornings and drink coffee for hours. The important customers at these joints are young people. Man up and quit whining about how you don't get to be king anymore.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPn8Y-FMUk

> WTF? What makes you think boomers (people now aged between 53
> and 70) have time to sit around at McDonald's? I'm 60 and
> expect to work until I'm 68.
>
> I don't go to fast food restaurants because their food is
> shitty and I have the money to do better.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Don't knock it yet. Three of us from work wanted to get together one
day. Two of us retired, one working until 4. There was no other place
to go for a snack where we could sit and BS for two hours and spend a
total of $3 for all of us. There is just no other place around. The
coffee and muffins are decent and they have soft serv sundaes too.

Today, my wife and I had to go to that area this morning. I called Sue
and suggested we meet for breakfast. The other 2 places in town are
closed on Monday so we ended up at McD. Again, we could stay and not be
bothered but this time we spent $10 for over an hour of getting together.

Sure, there are better places with better food, but not everywhere and
especially on a Monday.

You may be surprised at the number of 60+ people hanging out there in
the morning. It is not the place to go for a good breakfast, but very
convenient to meet some of your old cronies from work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 8/13/2017 7:04 PM, Janet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > says...

> > > Of course, that's why I posted "That's mostly true of every
> > > generation." Dsi1's assertion that boomers are no longer relevant
> > > to trending is absolutely true and has nothing to do with
> > > excercise etc.

> > Retired people taking up sports, musical instruments and new
> > activities, IS a very new trend. The baby boom is the first
> > generation to have the life-expectancy, health care, financial
> > independence and social freedom to enjoy this kind of old age.
> >
> > In the West, pensioners will soon be the largest demographic
> > group; and will spend two decades consuming food, clothes,
> > services, entertainment. So every business selling those goods and
> > services WILL be focusing on the trends that market sets.
> >
> > Janet UK
> >

> I take online surveys all the time and companies certainly aren't
> focused on 20 year olds. They want to know what people with
> established incomes spend money and time on. And no, it's not just
> pharmeceuticals.
>
> Jill

I've noticed that. There is some focus on younger sets, but there's
definately an emphasis on what those of us who have a good steady
income are getting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 7:53:53 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I'm not a "boomer" per se (depends on which war you're talking about)

> Wrong.
> The 'baby boomer generation' only talks about one war. World War
> 2 ended in 1945
> (Europe and then Pacific a few months later)
>
> Then all those young men came home, had sex and in 1946
> there was a "baby boom"
>
> Basically the "baby boom" generation was born between
> 1946 to 1964. That's the time span that those old
> WW2 soldiers made babies.
>
> Generations are normally considered to be
> 20-25 years difference.

True.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-14 3:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> You and the schoolyard queen are way too excitable. Yoose arrogant
> guys feel oh so superior to us regular mugs that eat at high volume
> fast-food restaurants. Your opinions of restaurants that you've never
> eaten before is irrelevant. My opinion on the food is irrelevant
> too.

It's not that anyone looks down on people who patronize fast food joints
that sell cheap food. The problem is when they say the stuff is good.

> The reality is the boomers don't go to fast food restaurants much -
> except to meet up with their old gang in the mornings and drink
> coffee for hours. The important customers at these joints are young
> people. Man up and quit whining about how you don't get to be king
> anymore.

Young? As in the kids who were taken there by their parents because the
children were seduced into the McDonalds experience by their advertising
and targeting the child audience who then grew up thinking that is what
a hamburger and fries should taste like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:04:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/14/2017 4:09 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 3:39:06 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> The reality is the boomers don't go to fast food restaurants much - except to meet up with their old gang in the mornings and drink coffee for hours. The important customers at these joints are young people. Man up and quit whining about how you don't get to be king anymore.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPn8Y-FMUk

>> WTF? What makes you think boomers (people now aged between 53
>> and 70) have time to sit around at McDonald's? I'm 60 and
>> expect to work until I'm 68.
>>
>> I don't go to fast food restaurants because their food is
>> shitty and I have the money to do better.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Don't knock it yet. Three of us from work wanted to get together one
>day. Two of us retired, one working until 4. There was no other place
>to go for a snack where we could sit and BS for two hours and spend a
>total of $3 for all of us. There is just no other place around. The
>coffee and muffins are decent and they have soft serv sundaes too.
>
>Today, my wife and I had to go to that area this morning. I called Sue
>and suggested we meet for breakfast. The other 2 places in town are
>closed on Monday so we ended up at McD. Again, we could stay and not be
>bothered but this time we spent $10 for over an hour of getting together.
>
>Sure, there are better places with better food, but not everywhere and
>especially on a Monday.
>
>You may be surprised at the number of 60+ people hanging out there in
>the morning. It is not the place to go for a good breakfast, but very
>convenient to meet some of your old cronies from work.

I'd feel like a child if I met people my age at McDonalds. I'd want to
bring a balloon for each of us and order a clown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 13:25:41 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 10:09:47 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 3:39:06 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> > The reality is the boomers don't go to fast food restaurants much - except to meet up with their old gang in the mornings and drink coffee for hours. The important customers at these joints are young people. Man up and quit whining about how you don't get to be king anymore.
>> >
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPn8Y-FMUk

>> WTF? What makes you think boomers (people now aged between 53
>> and 70) have time to sit around at McDonald's? I'm 60 and
>> expect to work until I'm 68.
>>
>> I don't go to fast food restaurants because their food is
>> shitty and I have the money to do better.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>How the heck would you know about the boomers at McDonald's if you don't go to McDonald's? Sorry, I'm still not impressed with your superior attitude. Keep trying though.

I'm sure you're quaking in your boots Cindy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 21:17:36 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 14-Aug-2017, wrote:
>
>> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 3:39:06 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> > The reality is the boomers don't go to fast food restaurants
>> > much - except to meet up with their old gang in the mornings
>> > and drink coffee for hours. The important customers at these
>> > joints are young people. Man up and quit whining about how
>> > you don't get to be king anymore.
>> >
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPn8Y-FMUk

>> WTF? What makes you think boomers (people now aged between 53
>> and 70) have time to sit around at McDonald's? I'm 60 and
>> expect to work until I'm 68.
>>
>> I don't go to fast food restaurants because their food is
>> shitty and I have the money to do better.

>I'll turn 70 next month, I retired at 57, and I have better
>things to do than sit around McDonalds, or any restaurant, fast
>food or not. Most boomers I know stay busy, not with a job; but,
>with volunteer work, social functions and hobbies.

What I do most days must be a paid hobby then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:22:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-08-14 3:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> You and the schoolyard queen are way too excitable. Yoose arrogant
>> guys feel oh so superior to us regular mugs that eat at high volume
>> fast-food restaurants. Your opinions of restaurants that you've never
>> eaten before is irrelevant. My opinion on the food is irrelevant
>> too.

>It's not that anyone looks down on people who patronize fast food joints
>that sell cheap food.

No, that's just me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 5:24:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 13:25:41 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

> >> WTF? What makes you think boomers (people now aged between 53
> >> and 70) have time to sit around at McDonald's? I'm 60 and
> >> expect to work until I'm 68.
> >>
> >> I don't go to fast food restaurants because their food is
> >> shitty and I have the money to do better.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> >How the heck would you know about the boomers at McDonald's if you don't go to McDonald's? Sorry, I'm still not impressed with your superior attitude. Keep trying though.

> I'm sure you're quaking in your boots Cindy!

Quaking with laughter.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 8/14/2017 8:56 AM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not a "boomer" per se (depends on which war you're talking
> > > about)

> > Wrong.
> > The 'baby boomer generation' only talks about one war. World War
> > 2 ended in 1945
> > (Europe and then Pacific a few months later)
> >
> > Then all those young men came home, had sex and in 1946
> > there was a "baby boom"
> >
> > Basically the "baby boom" generation was born between
> > 1946 to 1964. That's the time span that those old
> > WW2 soldiers made babies.
> >
> > Generations are normally considered to be
> > 20-25 years difference.
> >

> That's the accepted definition. I was born after the Korean
> "conflict" after which my father came home and had sex with my
> mother. LOL
>
> I still disagree with dsi1 saying boomers don't know what is
> trending. If it means life being taken over by Google I'd rather not.
>
> Jill

I think we do know, but what is trending for *us* isnt nessecarily the
same as what my daughter would think of. My daughter can tell you all
the popular games, but probably doesnt know who Bruno Mars is or that
he just released a rather good new video this past weekend.

Just like I was at that age, I was more into flash than a longer
conversation in comparison to the older me. Thats a natural progression.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JBurns wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 19:07:17 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:24:49 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >>
> >> I've mentioned my brother's girlfriend who was completely "ewww"

> and >> "don't want" "don't like" when they stayed here for nearly two
> weeks. >> I'm a patient person but I finally told him, get her out
> of here before >> I strangle her. At least she wasn't eating her way
> through the pantry. >> That would definitely not have gone without
> comment. >>
> >> Jill
> > >

> > I'm always appalled at how people want to act so entitled, actually
> > I call it rude, when they are a guest in someone's home.

> My younger grandson (17), who lives with us, had a new girlfriend at
> the beginning of the year. He would invite her over to spend some time
> with him. She thought nothing of starting screaming fights with him in
> my house. He broke up with her but not before he had spent months
> apologising for all his supposed shortcomings.
>
> I banned her from the house after she threw a tantrum over me not
> providing instant pasta packets for her use. Then she called me a ****
> and threatened my life. She must really like that stuff!
>
> JB

WOW. I'd have tossed her out the door first time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 2:04:05 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> It is hard to get volunteers. Most people want nothing to do with it and
> they will give it up at the drop of a hat. High school students here
> have to log a certain number of volunteer hours in order to graduate.

Volunteering, by it's name, should be the persons choice not because
someone is withholding something that is due to you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 11:22:01 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-08-14 3:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > You and the schoolyard queen are way too excitable. Yoose arrogant
> > guys feel oh so superior to us regular mugs that eat at high volume
> > fast-food restaurants. Your opinions of restaurants that you've never
> > eaten before is irrelevant. My opinion on the food is irrelevant
> > too.

> It's not that anyone looks down on people who patronize fast food joints
> that sell cheap food. The problem is when they say the stuff is good.

Why would that be a problem? Are people so insecure that they cannot handle people liking the stuff they like? Your likes and dislikes is not a problem for me. OTOH, if you like beating your wife, I guess that would be a problem. Are people beating their cheap foods?

OTOH, I'll take a $1.50 McBurger over a $10.00 fancy burger any day of the week. Those fancy burgers are just too big and gross to me. A McBurger would normally make me feel sick, except if I haven't eaten anything for awhile in which case, I might say it's awesomely good. OTOH, I'd rather have a bowl of rice and raw fish than any burger.

> > The reality is the boomers don't go to fast food restaurants much -
> > except to meet up with their old gang in the mornings and drink
> > coffee for hours. The important customers at these joints are young
> > people. Man up and quit whining about how you don't get to be king
> > anymore.

> Young? As in the kids who were taken there by their parents because the
> children were seduced into the McDonalds experience by their advertising
> and targeting the child audience who then grew up thinking that is what
> a hamburger and fries should taste like.

If what you say is true, then I'd say that McDonald's has brilliant marketing. The reality is that young people are going to determine the future food trends of America. The young always do. These kids are open to and exposed to new food ideas. Like sweet spaghetti. Old folks are not going to like it because they're set in their ways. That's not going to stop Jollibee in the US. Jollibee occupies a very sweet spot in food chains. They get to compete against KFC et al., and McDonald's et al., and apparently, the kids dig their spaghetti.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> There are always exceptions that prove rules. In the case of the
> >> girl, where else would she learn it?

> > I just wrote all that to tell you. It comes from new friends with
> > different values that often can overcome the old parental values.
> > Teenagers are sick of mom and dad rules. They meet new cool
> > friends and go with that. They want to fit in.
> >

> > Bottom line he
> >
> > You raise your cute kids and love them to death.
> > Then they turn into annoying teenagers.
> > By the time they graduate HS at age 18 or so
> > you are glad that they will leave home soon
> > either college or out in the world.
> > Either way they are not in your house.
> >
> > God invented teenagers so you don't grieve
> > too much when your children leave home.
> > By then, you are glad of it.
> > :-D

> I must be the only person to raise my kids so they were civilised
> around adults, whether parents or their friends parents. Offending
> incurred instantaneous and undesirable punishment. Maybe mine were
> cowards, but they seemed to avoid it.

Charlotte came out well adjusted overall and wasn't too much of a teen
terror. She'd just graduated with an associates and looking for her
first job. Looking for starting with a local bookstore at the moment
(application sent in, seeing what happens). It's a manager trainee
position. Fair amount of competition but I told her, you never win if
you don't try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 14:51:07 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 11:22:01 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> It's not that anyone looks down on people who patronize fast food joints
>> that sell cheap food. The problem is when they say the stuff is good.

>Why would that be a problem? Are people so insecure that they cannot handle people liking the stuff they like? Your likes and dislikes is not a problem for me. OTOH, if you like beating your wife, I guess that would be a problem. Are people beating their cheap foods?
>
>OTOH, I'll take a $1.50 McBurger over a $10.00 fancy burger any day of
>the week. Those fancy burgers are just too big and gross to me. A
>McBurger would normally make me feel sick, except if I haven't eaten
>anything for awhile in which case, I might say it's awesomely good.
>OTOH, I'd rather have a bowl of rice and raw fish than any burger.

Now you're talking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-14 5:17 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 14-Aug-2017, wrote:

>> WTF? What makes you think boomers (people now aged between 53
>> and 70) have time to sit around at McDonald's? I'm 60 and
>> expect to work until I'm 68.
>>
>> I don't go to fast food restaurants because their food is
>> shitty and I have the money to do better.

> I'll turn 70 next month, I retired at 57, and I have better
> things to do than sit around McDonalds, or any restaurant, fast
> food or not. Most boomers I know stay busy, not with a job; but,
> with volunteer work, social functions and hobbies.

I can't vouch for McDs. I have only been in one twice in the last 2-3
years. The last time was one year and a couple days ago when we stopped
at one mainly to use the washroom and picked up a coffee and a pastry.
The next previous time was about a year and a half before that.

Around here the old guys hang out at Tim Hortons. I started the day
with a 10 mile bicycle ride and the did my once a week trip by
motorcycle to Port Dalhousie to have a coffee with the grey haired
bikers. I combined it with a trip to the HD dealership and to Bass Pro
Shop to get some bulk ammunition. If the weather is decent tomorrow
there will be another bicycle ride, then an afternoon of pickleball,
come back home for a quick supper and then over to the Niagara River for
a 10 km 2 hour paddle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >
> On 8/14/2017 6:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 6:38:22 PM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
> > > In article >,
> > > says...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68Kl39nk0Y

> >> Have you never heard of the grey dollar/pound, the grey vote,

> silver
> > > surfers? ? WE ARE a boom generation, our sheer numbers mean
> > > businesses and politicians can't afford to ignore our voices,
> > > votes and spending power. Just look at the number of retired home
> > > owners downsizing to smaller property; they are freeing up
> > > capital to spend.

> > We've got all the money; Millenials have all the debt.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I wonder how many credit cards these so-called millenials have. Got a
> mortgage? Make payments on cars? Can you afford to buy a new
> mattress, dsi1? To replace the one your wife alledgely nearly bled
> out on? He's an idiot stuck on a rock. Eating sugar laden spagetti
> with hot dogs and calls it good.
>
> Jill
>
> ===
>
> Why do you have to constantly drag up how he had to deal with his
> wife's illness??

Maybe I'm glad I spot read because I haven't got a clue on that one.
So his wife was ill and something happened?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:56:59 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-08-14 5:17 PM, l not -l wrote:
>> On 14-Aug-2017, wrote:

>>> WTF? What makes you think boomers (people now aged between 53
>>> and 70) have time to sit around at McDonald's? I'm 60 and
>>> expect to work until I'm 68.
>>>
>>> I don't go to fast food restaurants because their food is
>>> shitty and I have the money to do better.

>> I'll turn 70 next month, I retired at 57, and I have better
>> things to do than sit around McDonalds, or any restaurant, fast
>> food or not. Most boomers I know stay busy, not with a job; but,
>> with volunteer work, social functions and hobbies.

>I can't vouch for McDs. I have only been in one twice in the last 2-3
>years. The last time was one year and a couple days ago when we stopped
>at one mainly to use the washroom and picked up a coffee and a pastry.
>The next previous time was about a year and a half before that.

The life and times of Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 8:29:06 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "jmcquown" wrote in message news > >
> > On 8/14/2017 9:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > says... >>>> Subject: pot luck item

> > trends >>>>>>>> goes.

> > half of the >>>>>>>> 20th

> > while >>>>>>>> the

> > here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68Kl39nk0Y

> > http://www.arranholidayretreats.co.u...Cir-Mhor-summi
> > t-

> > kayaking, >>>>> playing

> > any hills >>>>> to

> > in crab >>>>> pots, etc. And gee, everyone has a computer.

> > goes?

> > silver >>> surfers? ? WE ARE a boom generation, our sheer numbers
> > mean businesses >>> and politicians can't afford to ignore our
> > voices, votes and spending >>> power. Just look at the number of
> > retired home owners downsizing to >>> smaller property; they are
> > freeing up capital to spend.

> > > I wonder how many credit cards these so-called millenials have.
> > > Got a mortgage? Make payments on cars? Can you afford to buy a
> > > new mattress, dsi1? To replace the one your wife alledgely
> > > nearly bled out on? He's an idiot stuck on a rock. Eating sugar
> > > laden spagetti with hot dogs and calls it good.
> > >
> > > Jill
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > Why do you have to constantly drag up how he had to deal with his
> > > wife's illness??
> > >

> > Constantly? Sorry, but I really don't think so.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Well it isn't the first time you have said that about him having to
> > buy a new mattress
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> That gal is obsessed with my bed stain. What she really wants is a
> photo of it. I should post it cause it would blow this entire
> newsgroup wide open.

LOL, I spot read as most know. All I can think of is she has a heavy
period and 'oops' (happens). Don't need a photo of such. It's just
nature and happens. If that's it, you'll find some women have much
lighter periods and do not understand how that can happen.

I'm past all that now, but my poor daughter inherited that aspect from
me. I'll not get gross over it but she has a flannel covered plastic
protector now that she puts under the fitted sheet 'just in case'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-14 6:01 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:56:59 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> I can't vouch for McDs. I have only been in one twice in the last 2-3
>> years. The last time was one year and a couple days ago when we stopped
>> at one mainly to use the washroom and picked up a coffee and a pastry.
>> The next previous time was about a year and a half before that.

> The life and times of Dave Smith.

It beats spending all my time sitting around responding to almost
everything posted here with a silly comment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 11:36:30 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Wrong.
> > > The 'baby boomer generation' only talks about one war. World War
> > > 2 ended in 1945
> > > (Europe and then Pacific a few months later)
> > >
> > > Then all those young men came home, had sex and in 1946
> > > there was a "baby boom"
> > >
> > > Basically the "baby boom" generation was born between
> > > 1946 to 1964. That's the time span that those old
> > > WW2 soldiers made babies.
> > >
> > > Generations are normally considered to be
> > > 20-25 years difference.
> > >

> > That's the accepted definition. I was born after the Korean
> > "conflict" after which my father came home and had sex with my
> > mother. LOL
> >
> > I still disagree with dsi1 saying boomers don't know what is
> > trending. If it means life being taken over by Google I'd rather not.
> >
> > Jill

> I think we do know, but what is trending for *us* isnt nessecarily the
> same as what my daughter would think of. My daughter can tell you all
> the popular games, but probably doesnt know who Bruno Mars is or that
> he just released a rather good new video this past weekend.
>
> Just like I was at that age, I was more into flash than a longer
> conversation in comparison to the older me. Thats a natural progression.
>
> --

Bruno Mars - that guy was a Elvis impersonator in Waikiki when he was a little 4 year old dude. That was kind of strange.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 18:12:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-08-14 6:01 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:56:59 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I can't vouch for McDs. I have only been in one twice in the last 2-3
>>> years. The last time was one year and a couple days ago when we stopped
>>> at one mainly to use the washroom and picked up a coffee and a pastry.
>>> The next previous time was about a year and a half before that.

>> The life and times of Dave Smith.
>>

>It beats spending all my time sitting around responding to almost
>everything posted here with a silly comment.

I agree! Who does that?

Fun Vintage Item jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 50 16-12-2015 09:24 PM
Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM