Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 8/13/2017 12:41 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> He was merely recounting a fact. I didn't say it was a nice thing for
>>> them to do.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Dave said it was "interesting to watch", what adult would find it
>> interesting instead of putting a stop to it? A sadistic type.
>>
>> Cheri

> Okay, whatever. It was apparently years ago and we can't turn back time.
> I don't agree with it but we can't do a thing to change it now.
>
> I once had a very bad experience at a restaurant. Can't change that now,
> either.
>
> Jill

He could at least be ashamed enough about his behavior to not crow about it
in a newsgroup and continue to harp on her, which he obviously isn't. I have
had a couple too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sun 13 Aug 2017 08:47:46a, Cheri told us...
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> My mother was a member of a senior center where they had all
>>> kinds of exercise classes, etc, and had a cheap lunch. She was
>>> 88 and felt left out because all the other seniors had smart
>>> phones they used for all kinds of things. I got her one, of
>>> course.
>>>
>>> Point is, all these pre baby boomers aren't necessarily sitting
>>> around thinking about the olden days. Plenty of them are with it
>>> and still curious so why should their next generation be any
>>> different.

>> I didn't see anyone say they were sitting around, but the
>> definitely talk about their younger years, their music, their
>> parenting style etc.

> Virtually every generation talks about "their younger years, their
> music, their parenting style etc." Do you not yourself?

20 year olds talk about their younger years.

And this says, to me:

>Mostly they wish to live in the
>latter half of the 20th century - before all this "stuff"
>happened. They reminisce while the rest of the world have moved
>on.

he's saying boomers or older aren't remaining current. Except for
himself, of course.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 7:53:34 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/13/2017 12:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> It really was not nice to do that, but it is what teenagers do. My kids
> >> would have done it too. That is the reality of life.

> > Really? I'd be disappointed if my kids pulled a stunt like that because that would mean they were evil pricks. It's not good to be an evil prick.
> >

> I'm jealous. Your kids were perfect, mine had defects.

Don't feel too bad. My kids just had a better upbringing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 09:52:23 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 4:22:00 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> It really was not nice to do that, but it is what teenagers do. My kids
>>> would have done it too. That is the reality of life.

>> Really? I'd be disappointed if my kids pulled a stunt like that because
>> that would mean they were evil pricks. It's not good to be an evil prick.

>=======
>
>Fact of the matter is, my kids wouldn't do it while I sat around watching
>and doing nothing to stop it, that's the reality of their raising. I've
>always despised bullies, and the people that allow them to be bullies with
>lazy parenting, sadistic streaks of their own etc. Granted you can't always
>see what they're up to, but to actually watch it and do nothing is just
>hateful and ugly.

I agree.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.45...
> On Sun 13 Aug 2017 09:52:23a, Cheri told us...
>
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Really? I'd be disappointed if my kids pulled a stunt like that
>>> because that would mean they were evil pricks. It's not good to
>>> be an evil prick.

>> =======
>>
>> Fact of the matter is, my kids wouldn't do it while I sat around
>> watching and doing nothing to stop it, that's the reality of their
>> raising. I've always despised bullies, and the people that allow
>> them to be bullies with lazy parenting, sadistic streaks of their
>> own etc. Granted you can't always see what they're up to, but to
>> actually watch it and do nothing is just hateful and ugly.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> When you've had to put up with this woman's crap as long as Dave has,
> perhaps he derived some pleasure from what the kids did. It
> certainly was more of a joke than sadistic. She's like a literal
> packrat grabbing everything in sight and stowing it away unless it
> hits her mouth first. Regardless of what this woman's supposede
> problems are, she'd never get past my front door after the first
> time. If she has mental problems and there have been some measures
> already taken to contrtol her behavior, then she should probably be
> seeing a psychiatrist, given psychiatrict medication, or living in an
> institution. Oh, and you don't need to slap me in the face again!

Whatever the slap in the face means since I wasn't even responding to you,
but if you can justify the behavior of Dave or the kids, then you must
really enjoy some of the crueler posts about lifestyle etc., right?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 8/13/2017 12:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> It really was not nice to do that, but it is what teenagers do. My kids
>>> would have done it too. That is the reality of life.

>> Really? I'd be disappointed if my kids pulled a stunt like that because
>> that would mean they were evil pricks. It's not good to be an evil prick.
>>

> I'm jealous. Your kids were perfect, mine had defects.

It's not the kids that had defects, it's the adults that watched them do it
that had defects.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 7:54:39 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news
> > On 8/13/2017 10:32 AM, Cheri wrote:

> >> Are you saying they are relevant as far as tracking trends goes? Only to
> >> the pharmaceuticals, as evidenced by every commercial.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > Were we talking about pharmaceuticals? I must have missed that part of
> > the thread drift. I don't pay much attention to what dsi1 says. He
> > thinks the entire world should be run by Google.
> >
> > Jill

> No, actually we were talking about boomers being relevant when it comes to
> trending. Can you tell me where they are trending, except with drug
> commercials? I'm interested.
>
> Cheri

The boomers are the primary targets in the reverse mortgages, funeral insurance, and low payout term insurance products, industry. They are still relevant in the way a hunk of meat is relevant to a wolf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:29:32 AM UTC-10, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> dsi1 has a superiority complex.

And you don't?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 6:53:06 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

>> > Really? I'd be disappointed if my kids pulled a stunt like that because
>> > that would mean they were evil pricks. It's not good to be an evil
>> > prick.

>> =======
>>
>> Fact of the matter is, my kids wouldn't do it while I sat around watching
>> and doing nothing to stop it, that's the reality of their raising. I've
>> always despised bullies, and the people that allow them to be bullies
>> with
>> lazy parenting, sadistic streaks of their own etc. Granted you can't
>> always
>> see what they're up to, but to actually watch it and do nothing is just
>> hateful and ugly.
>>
>> Cheri

> For sure, you were raised better than that.

Seriously, I live across from a high school. I have seen kids fighting each
other several times in front of my house. I have never stayed in my house
and watched it, I have always gone out and told them to STOP IT RIGHT NOW!
You've be surprised how quickly the intervention of an adult stops that kind
of behavior.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Sun 13 Aug 2017 09:41:46a, Cheri told us...
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> He was merely recounting a fact. I didn't say it was a nice
>>> thing for them to do.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Dave said it was "interesting to watch", what adult would find it
>> interesting instead of putting a stop to it? A sadistic type.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> I would not just put a stop to it, I would put her out the door.

That's an option, and much kinder than watching while others make fun of
her.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 8/13/2017 1:28 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sun 13 Aug 2017 08:47:46a, Cheri told us...
>>
>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I didn't see anyone say they were sitting around, but the
>>> definitely talk about their younger years, their music, their
>>> parenting style etc.

>> Virtually every generation talks about "their younger years, their
>> music, their parenting style etc." Do you not yourself?

> 20 year olds talk about their younger years.
>
> And this says, to me:
>
> >Mostly they wish to live in the
> >latter half of the 20th century - before all this "stuff"
> >happened. They reminisce while the rest of the world have moved
> >on.

> he's saying boomers or older aren't remaining current. Except for
> himself, of course.
>
> nancy

I don't see him saying that at all, but as you say this is what it says to
you, so good deal.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> I don't care what happens in other people's homes since I'm not and
> cannot be involved. I only know that it's not going to happen in my
> hme.

I don't either, but when they post about what happens in their home in a
newsgroup, then they should expect to hear differing opinions.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 7:59:42 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 9.44...

> >> I didn't see anyone say they were sitting around, but the
> >> definitely talk about their younger years, their music, their
> >> parenting style etc.
> >>
> >> Cheri
> >>

> > Virtually every generation talks about "their younger years, their
> > music, their parenting style etc." Do you not yourself?

> Of course, that's why I posted "That's mostly true of every generation."
> Dsi1's assertion that boomers are no longer relevant to trending is
> absolutely true and has nothing to do with excercise etc. They are not
> looked on as the trendsetters they were 40 years ago, and many do harken
> back to the "good old days" at every opportunity. Do you not yourself?
>
> Cheri

The boomers had a great run. They were the kings back in the 70's -80's. The king is dead. That's a hard reality for the boomers to swallow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn48hUyFrKQ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 2:49:44 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> The boomers had a great run. They were the kings back in the 70's -80's. The king is dead. That's a hard reality for the boomers to swallow.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn48hUyFrKQ

When the Millenials start getting their butts to the polls on
election day, then we can cede the crown to them.

<http://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout/demographics>

Hail to the King, baby!

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 11:49:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 7:59:42 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 9.44...
>> > On Sun 13 Aug 2017 08:47:46a, Cheri told us...

>> > Virtually every generation talks about "their younger years, their
>> > music, their parenting style etc." Do you not yourself?

>> Of course, that's why I posted "That's mostly true of every generation."
>> Dsi1's assertion that boomers are no longer relevant to trending is
>> absolutely true and has nothing to do with excercise etc. They are not
>> looked on as the trendsetters they were 40 years ago, and many do harken
>> back to the "good old days" at every opportunity. Do you not yourself?
>>

>The boomers had a great run. They were the kings back in the 70's -80's. The king is dead. That's a hard reality for the boomers to swallow.

I'm not sure if I'm a boomer, but I've never felt like a king and I'm
not dead either. Maybe you're translating your own feelings to an
entire generation?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:11:59 AM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/13/2017 1:28 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Sun 13 Aug 2017 08:47:46a, Cheri told us...
> >
> >> "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> I didn't see anyone say they were sitting around, but the
> >> definitely talk about their younger years, their music, their
> >> parenting style etc.

> > Virtually every generation talks about "their younger years, their
> > music, their parenting style etc." Do you not yourself?

> 20 year olds talk about their younger years.
>
> And this says, to me:
>
> >Mostly they wish to live in the
> >latter half of the 20th century - before all this "stuff"
> >happened. They reminisce while the rest of the world have moved
> >on.

> he's saying boomers or older aren't remaining current. Except for
> himself, of course.
>
> nancy

I'm not current with this generation - far from it. What I am good at is not filtering the world through my personal preferences/prejudices/ego. People on this newsgroup just love to killfile aspects of the world around them. This is why they're pretty clueless about what's trending.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 9:11:32 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 11:49:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 7:59:42 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> >> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> >> 9.44...

> >> Of course, that's why I posted "That's mostly true of every generation."
> >> Dsi1's assertion that boomers are no longer relevant to trending is
> >> absolutely true and has nothing to do with excercise etc. They are not
> >> looked on as the trendsetters they were 40 years ago, and many do harken
> >> back to the "good old days" at every opportunity. Do you not yourself?
> >>

> >The boomers had a great run. They were the kings back in the 70's -80's. The king is dead. That's a hard reality for the boomers to swallow.

> I'm not sure if I'm a boomer, but I've never felt like a king and I'm
> not dead either. Maybe you're translating your own feelings to an
> entire generation?

I ain't dead. I just ain't trending. Old folks shouldn't try to be trendy anyway. They should act their age. OTOH, they shouldn't live in the past either. Sorry you missed out on being a king. It's a great gig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 12:43:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 9:11:32 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 11:49:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >The boomers had a great run. They were the kings back in the 70's -80's. The king is dead. That's a hard reality for the boomers to swallow.

>> I'm not sure if I'm a boomer, but I've never felt like a king and I'm
>> not dead either. Maybe you're translating your own feelings to an
>> entire generation?

>I ain't dead. I just ain't trending. Old folks shouldn't try to be trendy anyway. They should act their age. OTOH, they shouldn't live in the past either. Sorry you missed out on being a king. It's a great gig.

You're very focused on age and race. I'm not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 11:30:38 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...

>>> =======
>>>
>>> Fact of the matter is, my kids wouldn't do it while I sat around
>>> watching and doing nothing to stop it, that's the reality of their
>>> raising. I've always despised bullies, and the people that allow
>>> them to be bullies with lazy parenting, sadistic streaks of their
>>> own etc. Granted you can't always see what they're up to, but to
>>> actually watch it and do nothing is just hateful and ugly.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> When you've had to put up with this woman's crap as long as Dave has,
>> perhaps he derived some pleasure from what the kids did. It
>> certainly was more of a joke than sadistic. She's like a literal
>> packrat grabbing everything in sight and stowing it away unless it
>> hits her mouth first. Regardless of what this woman's supposede
>> problems are, she'd never get past my front door after the first
>> time. If she has mental problems and there have been some measures
>> already taken to contrtol her behavior, then she should probably be
>> seeing a psychiatrist, given psychiatrict medication, or living in an
>> institution. Oh, and you don't need to slap me in the face again!

>Whatever the slap in the face means since I wasn't even responding to you,
>but if you can justify the behavior of Dave or the kids, then you must
>really enjoy some of the crueler posts about lifestyle etc., right?
>
>Cheri

They're a pair of flaming faggots, the only spawn those two freaks
can possibly produce are assholes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2017 1:59 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 9.44...

>>> I didn't see anyone say they were sitting around, but the
>>> definitely talk about their younger years, their music, their
>>> parenting style etc.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> Virtually every generation talks about "their younger years, their
>> music, their parenting style etc." Do you not yourself?

> Of course, that's why I posted "That's mostly true of every generation."
> Dsi1's assertion that boomers are no longer relevant to trending is
> absolutely true and has nothing to do with excercise etc. They are not
> looked on as the trendsetters they were 40 years ago, and many do harken
> back to the "good old days" at every opportunity. Do you not yourself?
>
> Cheri

Ah, the good old days, growing up in the 50's. In some respects they
were better, but it may just be being a kid, carefree and innocent. For
me, life was good. Middle class, but we had a house, family car, TV,
good schools. decent meals and clothing. I thought most everyone did.
Most families in our neighborhood were similar.

At the time, I did not realize the benefit of a good education but sure
found out later as I was able to maintain a pretty food middle class
life for may family too.

I don't want to go back there to live though. Every generation has good
and bad music. IMO, the music then has a higher percentage of good
compared to now. TV was entertaining but we have a better selection now.

We have a better selection of everything now. Food, appliances, places
to easily travel to, cars, houses, comunications. We have better
medical too. My age is double the life expectancy of 1900. Hope to go
a few more too.

I'd discussed this with friends about my age. We think being born from
about 1943 to 1955 is some of the best ever. The future may be better
as long as no one hits the Nukes button. Who knows?

I'd also like to time travel back to the past too, but only day trips.
Don't want to live without porcelain fixtures, refrigerators, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 10:03:49 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 12:43:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10ahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 9:11:32 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> I'm not sure if I'm a boomer, but I've never felt like a king and I'm
> >> not dead either. Maybe you're translating your own feelings to an
> >> entire generation?

> >I ain't dead. I just ain't trending. Old folks shouldn't try to be trendy anyway. They should act their age. OTOH, they shouldn't live in the past either. Sorry you missed out on being a king. It's a great gig.

> You're very focused on age and race. I'm not.

Well alright.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 22:16:45 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> wrote in message
. ..

>>> Lots of people do that... waste not, want not. At the local golf
>>> course at the end of The Big Bash (a huge party/pig out by the lake)
>>> Ray the course owner insisted that folks take all the food and booze
>>> home or it would be dumped. I didn't take any but many would pour the
>>> left over booze into one bottle. I guess alkies don't care about
>>> swigging gin mixed with rum. I know that Ray would have thrown
>>> everything left over into the dumpster, he's in the same economic
>>> class as Trump, a very generous guy... he owns many high end golf
>>> courses and several other businesses, plus he's heavy into very
>>> expensive real estate, multi million dollar residenses with fabulous
>>> mountain vistas. Ray is also a builder, he carved out his mountain
>>> side golf courses himself... to find him look for the old guy in
>>> raggedy clothing operating monster earth moving equipment. He loves
>>> those huge machines, he maintains them himself. Ray is not
>>> pretentious, you'd never know he's worth billions.

>>I think it would be different if someone who was putting on a big bash,
>>paying for it etc. offered for people to do that, but I don't think it is
>>especially good manners for a couple to do that in a sneaky way, but it
>>got
>>to be a running joke about Matt and Edna for years.
>>
>>Cheri

> Plenty of people do that at catered afairs, especially older women,
> they wrap up as much food as their tote sized handbags can carry...
> the advent of zip-locs made their smorgasbord shnorring much easier.
>
> Shnorror: (shnor-ror) A begger; someone who always looking for a
> handout or a free ride; the guy who's always in the bathroom when the
> check comes; the person who's constantly borrowing but never
> returning; someone who's continually sponging off others.

I have seen people do this. Thankfully not too many. One even took all of
the crackers from the basket and the after dinner mints, wrapped in a
napkin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 10:37:41 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 22:16:45 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>I think it would be different if someone who was putting on a big bash,
> >>paying for it etc. offered for people to do that, but I don't think it is
> >>especially good manners for a couple to do that in a sneaky way, but it
> >>got
> >>to be a running joke about Matt and Edna for years.
> >>
> >>Cheri

> > Plenty of people do that at catered afairs, especially older women,
> > they wrap up as much food as their tote sized handbags can carry...
> > the advent of zip-locs made their smorgasbord shnorring much easier.
> >
> > Shnorror: (shnor-ror) A begger; someone who always looking for a
> > handout or a free ride; the guy who's always in the bathroom when the
> > check comes; the person who's constantly borrowing but never
> > returning; someone who's continually sponging off others.

> I have seen people do this. Thankfully not too many. One even took all of
> the crackers from the basket and the after dinner mints, wrapped in a
> napkin.

That's my new diet plan. I don't order anything in restaurants. I just sponge off everyone at the table. This really cuts down on the amount of food I eat and I save a ton of money. It's my best plan ever!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-13 12:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/13/2017 11:49 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Teenagers (especially boys) are not known for being nice. They find
>>> belching or farting in public (or arm-pit farts) amusing. Picking on
>>> the much older niece for scavenging off plates seems like an obvious
>>> choice for teenage boys. Turned out they were right. <shrug>
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Maybe teenage boys, but grown men, unless they have a sadistic streak
>> should not fine it interesting.
>>
>> Cheri

> He was merely recounting a fact. I didn't say it was a nice thing for
> them to do.

Well, Jill, I will admit that I thought it was funny. It was interesting
to see they found a way to have some fun with their much older cousin's
obsession for sneaking food. It is sort of like leaving a bunch of half
drunk bottles of beer or part glasses of wine and then sitting back and
watching the drunken uncle sneak over and drink them. It certainly did
the BN no harm. On the contrary, it was probably a lot like hitting the
jackpot for her. There was a food service set up that she could have
gone to if she wanted more food. If she wanted more chicken nuggets she
could have gone to the table where the food was being served and taken
as many as she wanted. She seemed to prefer the game of scavenging.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68Kl39nk0Y

> >> Except they have nothing to do with dsi1's post.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > dsi1 thinks middle aged people and baby boomers have no relevance in
> > tracking trends. Sorry, I don't believe it.
> >
> > Jill

> He didn't say a thing about middle aged people, he said baby boomers, and
> they have no relevance in tracking new trends, unless it's the arthritis
> drugs they buy, and it doesn't matter if you believe it or not.

The baby boom generation were born at the end of WW2; they are now in
their late 60's or early 70's. Hardly "middle aged".

All the people in those links are baby boomers, retired pensioners
who are energetic, active, learning new skills, looking forward not
back. Our generation is creating a new social blueprint for old age.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...
> Subject: pot luck item
> From: Cheri >
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news

> >> What a load of crap. This is how baby boomers live here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68Kl39nk0Y

> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgX6VTJcMm8
> >>
> >> http://voiceforarran.com/images/mag56/Acrc1.jpg
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB21-KzCWKU
> >>
> >> http://www.arranholidayretreats.co.u...r-Mhor-summit-
> >> Corinna-Goeckeritz-Arran-Mountain-Festival.jpg
> >>

> >> Janet UK
> >>

> > Thank you, Janet UK! The "boomers" around here enjoy kayaking, playing
> > tennis, golf (of course), bicycling, boating. There aren't any hills to
> > climb but the "boomers" go fishing, net up fresh shrimp, haul in crab
> > pots, etc. And gee, everyone has a computer.
> >
> > Jill

> Are you saying they are relevant as far as tracking trends goes?

Have you never heard of the grey dollar/pound, the grey vote, silver
surfers? ? WE ARE a boom generation, our sheer numbers mean businesses
and politicians can't afford to ignore our voices, votes and spending
power. Just look at the number of retired home owners downsizing to
smaller property; they are freeing up capital to spend.

Only to the
> pharmaceuticals, as evidenced by every commercial.

If that's the only baby-boom commercial trend you can think of, you're
out of touch.

http://www.economist.com/node/13888110

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> No, actually we were talking about boomers being relevant when it comes to
> trending. Can you tell me where they are trending, except with drug
> commercials? I'm interested.
>
> Cheri

http://www.economist.com/node/13888110

"businesses everywhere now realise that in future there will be a lot
more older folk with money to spend. In most rich countries the baby-
boomers born after the second world war were more numerous, better
educated and better paid than any generation before them. When those
boomers retire, they will want to do it in style, plastic surgery and
all.

What else might they spend their money on? The glossy magazine published
by America's AARP, a powerful lobbying organisation for the over-50s
that boasts 40m members, is bursting with ads. If those advertisers have
got their market right?and they are paying big money for the older
eyeballs?this group of customers can be persuaded to buy a plethora of
products, from travel and financial services to mobile phones, medicines
and comfy beds.
Some businesses are already adjusting their ranges to cater for the grey
market. Volkswagen, for example, has developed a car called the Golf
Plus that has higher seats and more space than the standard model. A
number of consumer-goods makers have started making smaller pack sizes
for older, smaller households.
Japan, which has already had lots of practice with older consumers, has
developed some ingenious new products for the grandparent generation."

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri, your school kids story reminds me of when my boys were in grade school (literally two houses and across the street from me),
often some of the kids would start grappling/wrestling in my front yard (they were then out of range of the school crossing
guards). All I had to do was lean out the front door and yell, "You know, there is dog poop in the yard..." LOL. The kids
would immediately stop and run on down the sidewalk. It worked like a charm.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 23:23:32 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> All the people in those links are baby boomers, retired pensioners
>who are energetic, active, learning new skills, looking forward not
>back. Our generation is creating a new social blueprint for old age.

LOL, you're so pompous.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-13 1:52 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> When you've had to put up with this woman's crap as long as Dave has,
> perhaps he derived some pleasure from what the kids did. It
> certainly was more of a joke than sadistic. She's like a literal
> packrat grabbing everything in sight and stowing it away unless it
> hits her mouth first. Regardless of what this woman's supposede
> problems are, she'd never get past my front door after the first
> time.

Wow. You pretty well nailed it, though you may be a little more harsh
about it than I am. She is rarely invited to our house, and we have
declined a couple times when they tried to invite themselves. The last
time she was here was last year when she came with her mother. That was
the time when she pulled the number on our waitress by changing her
order four times.

I thought I had dodged a bullet when my wife offered to take them out
for lunch because it was her birthday and 25th anniversary. They were
coming this way to a cheese shop, and the lunch invitation was a counter
to the stay over she hinted at. I thought I was getting off easy. We
took them to a nice restaurant. Several of the lunch items included a
choice of soup or salad. Three of us opted for the soup. She opted for
soup..... and... a large salad. A small salad is a side dish. A large
salad is a meal. Three of us declined dessert. She ordered a cheese
platter. Damn it. I took her for lunch and she ordered two lunches for
herself. I might add that, despite the fact the she won a lottery ...
$1million, she has never taken us out for a meal. If she had, I would
have only ordered one meal for myself.

No one can make me feel guilty about my attitude toward this woman. She
is someone who I would have absolutely nothing to do with, but who is a
blood relative to people I care a lot for. I can not tolerate the fact
that she steals in my house. When she snoops around and takes things
that have been hidden, that is theft. She had "borrowed" books she had
no intention of returning. In one case I recovered the book, but on her
next visit to our house she stole it again. That is one item she stole
from me twice. I have to wonder what else she has stolen.

People can try to shame me and my son for his silly little seagull game,
but I defy them to try to deal with someone like that in their own
extended family. They would certainly not tolerate it from a stranger. I
can tell you that the niece has never been confronted about her
behaviour by anyone in the family but her mother and brother. If she is
self conscious about things, that would be her sense of guilt for doing
things that any adult should realize is wrong, wrong, wrong.

If she has mental problems and there have been some measures
> already taken to contrtol her behavior, then she should probably be
> seeing a psychiatrist, given psychiatrict medication, or living in an
> institution. Oh, and you don't need to slap me in the face again!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 08:48:29 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 23:23:32 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> All the people in those links are baby boomers, retired pensioners
>>who are energetic, active, learning new skills, looking forward not
>>back. Our generation is creating a new social blueprint for old age.

>LOL, you're so pompous.

That is too true - I am more than pre-boomer but I see boomers around
that I would like to give a kick up the backside they're so damned
stupid! God help the future if the boomers are creating a new blue
print for old age.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 18:58:11 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-08-13 1:52 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> When you've had to put up with this woman's crap as long as Dave has,
>> perhaps he derived some pleasure from what the kids did. It
>> certainly was more of a joke than sadistic. She's like a literal
>> packrat grabbing everything in sight and stowing it away unless it
>> hits her mouth first. Regardless of what this woman's supposede
>> problems are, she'd never get past my front door after the first
>> time.

>Wow. You pretty well nailed it, though you may be a little more harsh
>about it than I am. She is rarely invited to our house, and we have
>declined a couple times when they tried to invite themselves. The last
>time she was here was last year when she came with her mother. That was
>the time when she pulled the number on our waitress by changing her
>order four times.

Are you still going on about your niece? Scary to think how empty your
life would have been without her. I wonder how Waybe's coping. he
doesn't have your niece.

<snip more niece stories>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 1:14:42 PM UTC-10, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> dsi1yahoo.com says...
>

> > I ain't dead. I just ain't trending. Old folks shouldn't try to be
> >trendy anyway.They should act their age.

> What would that be; sitting in an armchair, slippers and daytime TV
> early to bed, pop a pill to get to sleep? LOL
>
> You have a very backward old fashioned notion of how old people should
> behave.
>
> Janet UK

You have no idea of how I think old folks should act. They certainly shouldn't be on Usenet all the time bitching, trolling & baiting, and gossiping about other people. That's not how old people should act. Hope this helps.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 16:23:35 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 1:14:42 PM UTC-10, Janet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> dsi1yahoo.com says...
>>

>> > I ain't dead. I just ain't trending. Old folks shouldn't try to be
>> >trendy anyway.They should act their age.

>> What would that be; sitting in an armchair, slippers and daytime TV
>> early to bed, pop a pill to get to sleep? LOL
>>
>> You have a very backward old fashioned notion of how old people should
>> behave.
>>
>> Janet UK

>You have no idea of how I think old folks should act. They certainly shouldn't be on Usenet all the time bitching, trolling & baiting, and gossiping about other people. That's not how old people should act. Hope this helps.

So what do you know? I've been here (usenet) since just before that,
bulletin boards they used to be called here then morphed into usenet,
and if you have some thought on 'how old people should act' more fool
you. I have always done what I wanted to to do and will always do
so, without any consideration as to whether its the social norm.

Fun Vintage Item jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 50 16-12-2015 08:24 PM
Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM