Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

On 8/12/2017 1:40 AM, Cheri wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> The blue jays where I am always take more than they need at the
>>> moment and
>>> cache it for later.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I've never seen that, There are a few birds that will horde shiny
>> objects but I know of no birds that stash food. Birds will eat more
>> than they need but it's regurgitated for nestlings.

> Then you don't know blue jays like mine, and you're wrong, many birds do.
>
> Cheri

There are a lot of different kinds of blue jays. Seems like on the west
coast they're mostly scrub jays. The eastern jays I see are like this:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue_Jay/id

Having said that, when I scatter seed and in-the-shell peanuts for the
birds in the *winter* I often see a blue jay fly off with sunflower
seeds or a peanut. I can't say for sure whether they stash them or eat
them. I do know there aren't any nestlings for them to feed in December
and January.

The only critters that hoard shiny objects around here are raccoons. I
had a very nice bird feeder that hung from three chains joined by an
S-hook at the top. One morning I got up and the feeder was down on the
ground. The S-hook was there but the chains were gone! I kept
picturing little gangs of raccoons carrying chains, maybe reenacting a
scene from 'West Side Story'. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu 10 Aug 2017 08:42:55a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> I'm interested in food and how it relates to culture so yeah, that
>> guy is the bomb. My son got a plate of Filipino spaghetti
>> recently. I asked him how it was. He said it's like spaghetti with
>> ketchup, only sweeter. I'm very anxious to try this style
>> spaghetti. Unfortunately, he ate up every last scrap of pasta or
>> whatever the heck is in Filipino spaghetti. One day, man.
>>

>> I Googled and look what I found:
>>
>> http://panlasangpinoy.com/2013/09/12...paghetti-recip
>> e/
>>

> Not one for me.

I do not want sweet spaghetti. It's bad enough they already add sugar
or HFCS to many canned tomato sauces (including Hunts, which is the
brand I saw on that video). Then you add more sugar? Don't forget the
red hot dogs! Sorry, it does not sound at all appealing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2017 9:16 AM, Gary wrote:

>> "dsi1" wrote in message:
>> I'm a big chicken. Hee hee. The people on the mainland seem to like the food
>> so I believe that Jollibee might be trending in a few years. It seems like
>> America might be ready for spaghetti with no spices and a heaping amount of
>> sugar. Amazing!

>> http://panlasangpinoy.com/2013/09/12...ghetti-recipe/

> Oh dear lord, homey don't play that!
>
> Sorry but that Jollibee weird spaghetti plate and recipe sounds
> like such a fail to me. I doubt that will ever be trending
> anywhere in the known world. It will never be tried or trending
> in my house, that's for sure. And here people talk bad about
> McD's food? yikes. :-D

What's wrong Gary? You don't want to add sugar to already sweetened
tomato sauce? (Read the labels, many of them already contain sugar or
HFCS. A little more won't hurt!) Oooh, and red hot dogs? What's not
to love? LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 10:28:39 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

snip

>There are a lot of different kinds of blue jays. Seems like on the west
>coast they're mostly scrub jays. The eastern jays I see are like this:
>
>https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue_Jay/id
>
>Having said that, when I scatter seed and in-the-shell peanuts for the
>birds in the *winter* I often see a blue jay fly off with sunflower
>seeds or a peanut. I can't say for sure whether they stash them or eat
>them. I do know there aren't any nestlings for them to feed in December
>and January.
>
>The only critters that hoard shiny objects around here are raccoons. I
>had a very nice bird feeder that hung from three chains joined by an
>S-hook at the top. One morning I got up and the feeder was down on the
>ground. The S-hook was there but the chains were gone! I kept
>picturing little gangs of raccoons carrying chains, maybe reenacting a
>scene from 'West Side Story'. LOL
>
>Jill

We have the Steller's Jay, a handsome bird, here in the northwest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steller%27s_jay
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2017 11:19 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Oh dear lord, homey don't play that!
>>>
>>> Sorry but that Jollibee weird spaghetti plate and recipe sounds
>>> like such a fail to me. I doubt that will ever be trending
>>> anywhere in the known world. It will never be tried or trending
>>> in my house, that's for sure. And here people talk bad about
>>> McD's food? yikes. :-D
>>>

>> What's wrong Gary? You don't want to add sugar to already
>> sweetened tomato sauce? (Read the labels, many of them already
>> contain sugar or HFCS. A little more won't hurt!) Oooh, and red
>> hot dogs? What's not to love? LOL
>>
>> Jill
>>

> It's okay of your color blind. :-)

No, it's okay if you're taste blind. Who puts Velveeta on top of
spaghetti?! I sincerely doubt his claims this dish will be trending in
America (of which the Hawaiian islands are a part). I've had spaghetti
with red sauce in restaurants and diners all across this great nation.
Never once did it include extra sugar, red hot dogs or Velveeta.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2017 11:05 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 10:28:39 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>> There are a lot of different kinds of blue jays. Seems like on the west
>> coast they're mostly scrub jays. The eastern jays I see are like this:
>>
>> https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue_Jay/id
>>
>> Having said that, when I scatter seed and in-the-shell peanuts for the
>> birds in the *winter* I often see a blue jay fly off with sunflower
>> seeds or a peanut. I can't say for sure whether they stash them or eat
>> them. I do know there aren't any nestlings for them to feed in December
>> and January.
>>
>> The only critters that hoard shiny objects around here are raccoons. I
>> had a very nice bird feeder that hung from three chains joined by an
>> S-hook at the top. One morning I got up and the feeder was down on the
>> ground. The S-hook was there but the chains were gone! I kept
>> picturing little gangs of raccoons carrying chains, maybe reenacting a
>> scene from 'West Side Story'. LOL
>>
>> Jill

> We have the Steller's Jay, a handsome bird, here in the northwest
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steller%27s_jay
> Janet US

Steller jays are very pretty! Of course you got my point: Sheldon can't
speak for the habits of all the different blue jays. I don't know what
the cardinals do with the sunflower seeds they carry off. They eat some
right there, they carry some away. In the spring they have hatchlings
to feed, but not in the winter. Perhaps they're stashing some away for
later.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

....the word you are using is "zaftig." You're welcome. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 10:05:40 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> We have the Steller's Jay, a handsome bird, here in the northwest
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steller%27s_jay
> Janet US

That's what my hair looks like when I get up but not nearly as neat
as this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I hope nobody holds back and tells her she's too old to be hanging
>>> out those younger guys, even if one is her cousin. And I hope they
>>> tell her they don't want to pay for her food orgies.

>> She does get excluded from a lot of events for a couple reasons. One is
>> that she and her husband are quite a bit older. Making a pig of herself
>> is another one. She once dropped in on her step sister, who was
>> expecting company... invited company. Step sister was a very generous
>> hostess who loved to prepare lots of good food when entertaining. BN
>> was invited to stay and then she ate all the food before the guests
>> arrived.
>>

> I would have had to speak up and say "STOP! You're not going to eat
> e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g before the guests arrive." I truly would have
> said that to her.

I would have said that to her, too. Get out of the kitchen! You have
no business digging in the pantry. Go into the living room and sit down!

>>> Just how BIG is she?

>> She is 6 feet tall and probably about 350. About 2 years ago she had to
>> lose 75 pounds to get a hip replacement. She has since gained it all back.
>>

> Why doesn't she go in for the stomach reducing surgery? How big is
> her husband? Are they both the size of an adult rhinoceros??

6 feet is pretty tall. Is she as wide as she is tall?!

As for the stomach bypass surgery it costs a heck of a lot of money.
Likely not covered by insurance unless there is a doctor who will
certify it is medically necessary.

I knew several people at work who had to find a doctor out of state who
would authorize it before our company health insurance would cover it.
No doubt why our group insurance rates went up. One woman actually
*gained weight* on purpose so she could get approved for the gastric
bypass. One guy who had it done thought it meant he could pig out on
anything he wanted. And he made sure to pick up two fried fish meals
from either Captain D's or Long John Silver's the day before... with
fries and hush puppies. He said, "Gotta eat a lot while I can!"

He busted a gut after the surgery, eating pizza and burgers pretty much
the minute he got home. NO NO NO NO! Start of off with broth, then
move on to soft foods. In a few weeks you get to eat solid foods. In
moderation.

IIRC, my former MIL did that, too. The minute she got home she thought
she could eat anything she wanted. That's not the way the surgery works.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 10:05:40 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> We have the Steller's Jay, a handsome bird, here in the northwest
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steller%27s_jay
>> Janet US
>>

> That's what my hair looks like when I get up but not nearly as neat
> as this.

In CA (as far as I know) there is the CA Scrub Jay and the Mountain Jay,
which in the days of my childhood, the state offered 5 cents a head for the
Mountain Jays, no I never killed any for bounty. The blue jay that we
tamed in our backyard was a Scrub Jay and we had a lot of fun with him
taking peanuts off our shoulders etc. We would watch him bury them in the
yard and come rushing back for more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFjGzcbLLYs

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:31:24 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/12/2017 11:05 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 10:28:39 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>>
>>> There are a lot of different kinds of blue jays. Seems like on the west
>>> coast they're mostly scrub jays. The eastern jays I see are like this:
>>>
>>> https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue_Jay/id
>>>
>>> Having said that, when I scatter seed and in-the-shell peanuts for the
>>> birds in the *winter* I often see a blue jay fly off with sunflower
>>> seeds or a peanut. I can't say for sure whether they stash them or eat
>>> them. I do know there aren't any nestlings for them to feed in December
>>> and January.
>>>
>>> The only critters that hoard shiny objects around here are raccoons. I
>>> had a very nice bird feeder that hung from three chains joined by an
>>> S-hook at the top. One morning I got up and the feeder was down on the
>>> ground. The S-hook was there but the chains were gone! I kept
>>> picturing little gangs of raccoons carrying chains, maybe reenacting a
>>> scene from 'West Side Story'. LOL
>>>
>>> Jill

>> We have the Steller's Jay, a handsome bird, here in the northwest
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steller%27s_jay
>> Janet US
>>

>Steller jays are very pretty! Of course you got my point: Sheldon can't
>speak for the habits of all the different blue jays. I don't know what
>the cardinals do with the sunflower seeds they carry off. They eat some
>right there, they carry some away. In the spring they have hatchlings
>to feed, but not in the winter. Perhaps they're stashing some away for
>later.
>
>Jill

I just wanted to brag up our Steller's Jays. We were lucky enough one
summer into fall to have a pair use my deck and deck trees for a
hangout.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 6:25:35 AM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 8/12/2017 11:19 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> What's wrong Gary? You don't want to add sugar to already
> >> sweetened tomato sauce? (Read the labels, many of them already
> >> contain sugar or HFCS. A little more won't hurt!) Oooh, and red
> >> hot dogs? What's not to love? LOL
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > It's okay of your color blind. :-)
> >

> No, it's okay if you're taste blind. Who puts Velveeta on top of
> spaghetti?! I sincerely doubt his claims this dish will be trending in
> America (of which the Hawaiian islands are a part). I've had spaghetti
> with red sauce in restaurants and diners all across this great nation.
> Never once did it include extra sugar, red hot dogs or Velveeta.
>
> Jill

The baby boomers are no longer relevant as far as tracking trends goes. How can they be? Mostly they wish to live in the latter half of the 20th century - before all this "stuff" happened. They reminisce while the rest of the world have moved on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2017 2:00 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Duh. Way to go terd!
>
> -sw

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2017 2:33 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> my (*) L-)
>
> -sw

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-12 12:51 PM, wrote:
> On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 9:00:09 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

>> She does get excluded from a lot of events for a couple reasons. One is
>> that she and her husband are quite a bit older. Making a pig of herself
>> is another one. She once dropped in on her step sister, who was
>> expecting company... invited company. Step sister was a very generous
>> hostess who loved to prepare lots of good food when entertaining. BN
>> was invited to stay and then she ate all the food before the guests
>> arrived.
>>

> I would have had to speak up and say "STOP! You're not going to eat
> e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g before the guests arrive." I truly would have
> said that to her.

Sounds good, but you really should not have to say that to a guest,
especially an uninvited one. I got into enough trouble with her when she
was a teen and especially sensitive. I leave it to her mother to deal
with it. She knows her daughter has a problem. She knows that I have a
problem with her daughter, and she is sympathetic. I simply try to avoid
having anything deal with her.

>> She is 6 feet tall and probably about 350. About 2 years ago she had to
>> lose 75 pounds to get a hip replacement. She has since gained it all back.

> Why doesn't she go in for the stomach reducing surgery? How big is
> her husband? Are they both the size of an adult rhinoceros??

He is about the same size. They met at a big and tall club. His food
intake is more normal than hers.

Considering how much she eats, I am surprised that she is not a hell of
a lot bigger than she is. It is not her size that is the issue. It is
her obsession with eating. It is a pain in the ass to have to invite her
to family functions and then to have to go to the work and expense to
provide twice as much food for a gathering when one person eats enough
for 6 or more. And it annoying as hell to go onto the kitchen for
something and find her opening a box of crackers of cookies in the
pantry when there is all sorts of food out. Who, in their right mind,
attends a social function in someone's home and sneaks away from the
food service to root around for more food?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2017 11:40 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-08-12 12:51 PM, wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 9:00:09 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> She does get excluded from a lot of events for a couple reasons. One is
>>> that she and her husband are quite a bit older. Making a pig of herself
>>> is another one. She once dropped in on her step sister, who was
>>> expecting company... invited company. Step sister was a very generous
>>> hostess who loved to prepare lots of good food when entertaining. BN
>>> was invited to stay and then she ate all the food before the guests
>>> arrived.
>>>

>> I would have had to speak up and say "STOP! You're not going to eat
>> e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g before the guests arrive." I truly would have
>> said that to her.

> Sounds good, but you really should not have to say that to a guest,
> especially an uninvited one. I got into enough trouble with her when she
> was a teen and especially sensitive. I leave it to her mother to deal
> with it. She knows her daughter has a problem. She knows that I have a
> problem with her daughter, and she is sympathetic. I simply try to avoid
> having anything deal with her.
>

>>> She is 6 feet tall and probably about 350. About 2 years ago she had to
>>> lose 75 pounds to get a hip replacement. She has since gained it all back.

>> Why doesn't she go in for the stomach reducing surgery? How big is
>> her husband? Are they both the size of an adult rhinoceros??

> He is about the same size. They met at a big and tall club. His food
> intake is more normal than hers.
>
> Considering how much she eats, I am surprised that she is not a hell of
> a lot bigger than she is. It is not her size that is the issue. It is
> her obsession with eating. It is a pain in the ass to have to invite her
> to family functions and then to have to go to the work and expense to
> provide twice as much food for a gathering when one person eats enough
> for 6 or more. And it annoying as hell to go onto the kitchen for
> something and find her opening a box of crackers of cookies in the
> pantry when there is all sorts of food out. Who, in their right mind,
> attends a social function in someone's home and sneaks away from the
> food service to root around for more food?

Surely this is the makings of an episode of Law and Order.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 1:39:50 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2017-08-12 12:51 PM, wrote:
>

> > I would have had to speak up and say "STOP! You're not going to eat
> > e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g before the guests arrive." I truly would have
> > said that to her.

> Sounds good, but you really should not have to say that to a guest,
> especially an uninvited one.

True.

> I got into enough trouble with her when she
> was a teen and especially sensitive.

That sounds like the root of the problem. She was sensitive and then
was catered to by her mom.

> I leave it to her mother to deal
> with it. She knows her daughter has a problem. She knows that I have a
> problem with her daughter, and she is sympathetic. I simply try to avoid
> having anything deal with her.

Well, if she's 58 it safe to bet mom won't be around another 30 years
to make excuses for her as that's what her mom is doing. She's trying
to soothe you as well as obnoxious daughter.

> Considering how much she eats, I am surprised that she is not a hell of
> a lot bigger than she is. It is not her size that is the issue. It is
> her obsession with eating. It is a pain in the ass to have to invite her
> to family functions and then to have to go to the work and expense to
> provide twice as much food for a gathering when one person eats enough
> for 6 or more. And it annoying as hell to go onto the kitchen for
> something and find her opening a box of crackers of cookies in the
> pantry when there is all sorts of food out. Who, in their right mind,
> attends a social function in someone's home and sneaks away from the
> food service to root around for more food?

She does this because she feels 'entitled' because she's family. I
simply would have to lay down the lay to her and not be in the least
bit timid about calling her out for her behavior. But she's your
relative and you have to deal with her selfish, self-centered behavior.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 1:43:40 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> Surely this is the makings of an episode of Law and Order.

Doesn't it!?!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> She does get excluded from a lot of events for a couple reasons. One is
>>> that she and her husband are quite a bit older. Making a pig of herself
>>> is another one. She once dropped in on her step sister, who was
>>> expecting company... invited company. Step sister was a very generous
>>> hostess who loved to prepare lots of good food when entertaining. BN
>>> was invited to stay and then she ate all the food before the guests
>>> arrived.
>>>

>> I would have had to speak up and say "STOP! You're not going to eat
>> e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g before the guests arrive." I truly would have
>> said that to her.

> I would have said that to her, too. Get out of the kitchen! You have
> no business digging in the pantry. Go into the living room and sit down!

>>> She is 6 feet tall and probably about 350. About 2 years ago she had to
>>> lose 75 pounds to get a hip replacement. She has since gained it all
>>> back.
>>>

>> Why doesn't she go in for the stomach reducing surgery? How big is
>> her husband? Are they both the size of an adult rhinoceros??
>>

> 6 feet is pretty tall. Is she as wide as she is tall?!
>
> As for the stomach bypass surgery it costs a heck of a lot of money.

And only if you WANT to lose weight!!!!!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 09:36:09 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>...the word you are using is "zaftig." You're welcome. ;-))

Hey, that means the same thing as zoftig:

of a woman
: having a full rounded figure : pleasingly plump
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zaftig

Which brings us back to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDRORgoZxZU
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
>Nancy2 wrote:
>
>>the word you are using is "zaftig." You're welcome. ;-))

>Hey, that means the same thing as zoftig:

Being a transliteration either spelling is equally correct.
However the 'zoftig' pronunciation is used more often.

Zoftig: literally, "juicy." Although it has come to mean fat, it is
really a compliment, meaning a buxom, lush, "juicy." Marilyn Monroe
and Anna Nicole Smith were zoftig. Audrey Hepburn and Callista
Flockhardt were/are decidedly NOT zoftig.

Sometimes Zoftik is written:
http://www.pass.to/glossary/gloz4.htm#letz

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...ransliteration

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-12 2:43 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 8/12/2017 11:40 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I would have had to speak up and say "STOP! You're not going to eat
>>> e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g before the guests arrive." I truly would have
>>> said that to her.

>> Sounds good, but you really should not have to say that to a guest,
>> especially an uninvited one. I got into enough trouble with her when she
>> was a teen and especially sensitive. I leave it to her mother to deal
>> with it. She knows her daughter has a problem. She knows that I have a
>> problem with her daughter, and she is sympathetic. I simply try to avoid
>> having anything deal with her.

>>> Why doesn't she go in for the stomach reducing surgery? How big is
>>> her husband? Are they both the size of an adult rhinoceros??

>> He is about the same size. They met at a big and tall club. His food
>> intake is more normal than hers.
>>
>> Considering how much she eats, I am surprised that she is not a hell of
>> a lot bigger than she is. It is not her size that is the issue. It is
>> her obsession with eating. It is a pain in the ass to have to invite her
>> to family functions and then to have to go to the work and expense to
>> provide twice as much food for a gathering when one person eats enough
>> for 6 or more. And it annoying as hell to go onto the kitchen for
>> something and find her opening a box of crackers of cookies in the
>> pantry when there is all sorts of food out. Who, in their right mind,
>> attends a social function in someone's home and sneaks away from the
>> food service to root around for more food?
>>

> Surely this is the makings of an episode of Law and Order.

It is more like a pest control reality show. You put out food for guests
and the vermin sneak into your pantry to steal more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:45:41 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-08-12 2:43 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> On 8/12/2017 11:40 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Considering how much she eats, I am surprised that she is not a hell of
>>> a lot bigger than she is. It is not her size that is the issue. It is
>>> her obsession with eating. It is a pain in the ass to have to invite her
>>> to family functions and then to have to go to the work and expense to
>>> provide twice as much food for a gathering when one person eats enough
>>> for 6 or more. And it annoying as hell to go onto the kitchen for
>>> something and find her opening a box of crackers of cookies in the
>>> pantry when there is all sorts of food out. Who, in their right mind,
>>> attends a social function in someone's home and sneaks away from the
>>> food service to root around for more food?
>>>

>> Surely this is the makings of an episode of Law and Order.

>It is more like a pest control reality show. You put out food for guests
>and the vermin sneak into your pantry to steal more.

And I bet they also park in handicapped spots before they do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-12 2:52 PM, wrote:
> On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 1:39:50 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> She does this because she feels 'entitled' because she's family. I
> simply would have to lay down the lay to her and not be in the least
> bit timid about calling her out for her behavior. But she's your
> relative and you have to deal with her selfish, self-centered behavior.

I am not sure it is an issue of entitlement. I think she gets some cheap
thrill from stealing or sneaking food. It is more of a compulsion.

She came to stay the weekend with us once when she was a teenager. I got
in trouble with my wife because I had baked a double batch of chocolate
chip cookies. I figured she would have some and there would be some
leftover. Problem was that she was on a diet and should not be tempted.
Not a problem. I packed them into cans and stashed them at the back of
the bottom cupboard.

My brother and his wife were coming for supper on the Saturday night and
I made an apple pie for dessert. When it was time for dessert I went to
get the pie and discovered that she had eaten the middle out of the pie.
It was not just a taste. There was a 2-3" ring of pie around the outside
and she had eaten almost half the pie. Who the hell does stuff like that?

I was glad to see my wife take her to the bus station around noon on the
Sunday. I got down and reached into the back of the lower cupboard to
get out the cookie tins and they were both empty. I don't even know how,
in that small apartment, she was able to sneak in there and eat more
than 50 cookies.

Sure.... she was young. It should not be responsible forever for things
she did as a teen.... except that she is more than 40 years older now
and her behaviour hasn't changed.

One can get some fun out of it. My BiL threw a big party for himself on
his 60th birthday. It was a nice hot summer day and he hosted the event
as his ski chalet. My cousin catered it. My son, about 16 at the time,
and one of his cousins had some fun at her expense. They would get some
food, take a bit out of it, leave it on a plate and then step back and
watch for her to come along and eat the leftover bits. She was like a
seagull, swooping in and eating the food people had left on their plates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>Taxed and Spent wrote:
>>Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Sounds good, but you really should not have to say that to a guest,
>>> especially an uninvited one. I got into enough trouble with her when she
>>> was a teen and especially sensitive. I leave it to her mother to deal
>>> with it. She knows her daughter has a problem. She knows that I have a
>>> problem with her daughter, and she is sympathetic. I simply try to avoid
>>> having anything deal with her.

>>> He is about the same size. They met at a big and tall club. His food
>>> intake is more normal than hers.
>>>
>>> Considering how much she eats, I am surprised that she is not a hell of
>>> a lot bigger than she is. It is not her size that is the issue. It is
>>> her obsession with eating. It is a pain in the ass to have to invite her
>>> to family functions and then to have to go to the work and expense to
>>> provide twice as much food for a gathering when one person eats enough
>>> for 6 or more. And it annoying as hell to go onto the kitchen for
>>> something and find her opening a box of crackers of cookies in the
>>> pantry when there is all sorts of food out. Who, in their right mind,
>>> attends a social function in someone's home and sneaks away from the
>>> food service to root around for more food?

>> Surely this is the makings of an episode of Law and Order.

>It is more like a pest control reality show. You put out food for guests
>and the vermin sneak into your pantry to steal more.

Seems those two desperately need counseling. they are obviously not
getting laid, both traded the pleasure of sex for the pleasure of
food. I'd bet Dr. Ruth would suggest a divorce, forget love, they
don't even like each other, never did... she obviously prefers
sucking the meat off a chicken leg... and he'd rather lick a gallon of
lemon ice. sad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 22:09:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Regardles of family, I would not allow her in my home, and make it
>painfully clear that she was no longer welcome there.
>
>You choose your friends, not your family, and if a family member has
>such vile behavior, she does not deserve to be included. The family
>already knows what she's like.
>
>"BN, you have become a problem that we do not care to deal with any
>longer. You're not a child, and since you cannot cntrol yourself, we
>can."
>
>Yes, I can be that mean. I don't know how you've up with it this
>long.

"To up with something": 7 Google results. Must be brand new hipster
speak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
>Dave Smith wrote:
>>Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Surely this is the makings of an episode of Law and Order.

>>It is more like a pest control reality show. You put out food for guests
>>and the vermin sneak into your pantry to steal more.

>And I bet they also park in handicapped spots before they do it.

Do it? "it"sure ain't sex. I'd never consider a rack of juicy
ribs ahead of latching on to a rack of succulent hooters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 18:01:12 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-08-12 2:52 PM, wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 1:39:50 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

>> She does this because she feels 'entitled' because she's family. I
>> simply would have to lay down the lay to her and not be in the least
>> bit timid about calling her out for her behavior. But she's your
>> relative and you have to deal with her selfish, self-centered behavior.

>I am not sure it is an issue of entitlement. I think she gets some cheap
>thrill from stealing or sneaking food. It is more of a compulsion.
>
>She came to stay the weekend with us once when she was a teenager. I got
>in trouble with my wife because I had baked a double batch of chocolate
>chip cookies. I figured she would have some and there would be some
>leftover. Problem was that she was on a diet and should not be tempted.
>Not a problem. I packed them into cans and stashed them at the back of
>the bottom cupboard.
>
>My brother and his wife were coming for supper on the Saturday night and
>I made an apple pie for dessert. When it was time for dessert I went to
>get the pie and discovered that she had eaten the middle out of the pie.
>It was not just a taste. There was a 2-3" ring of pie around the outside
>and she had eaten almost half the pie. Who the hell does stuff like that?
>
>I was glad to see my wife take her to the bus station around noon on the
>Sunday. I got down and reached into the back of the lower cupboard to
>get out the cookie tins and they were both empty. I don't even know how,
>in that small apartment, she was able to sneak in there and eat more
>than 50 cookies.
>
>Sure.... she was young. It should not be responsible forever for things
>she did as a teen.... except that she is more than 40 years older now
>and her behaviour hasn't changed.
>
>One can get some fun out of it. My BiL threw a big party for himself on
>his 60th birthday. It was a nice hot summer day and he hosted the event
>as his ski chalet. My cousin catered it. My son, about 16 at the time,
>and one of his cousins had some fun at her expense. They would get some
>food, take a bit out of it, leave it on a plate and then step back and
>watch for her to come along and eat the leftover bits. She was like a
>seagull, swooping in and eating the food people had left on their plate

Dave, you are most obviously an enabler... you likely weigh 500 pounds
too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> The baby boomers are no longer relevant as far as tracking trends goes.
> How can they be? Mostly they wish to live in the latter half of the 20th
> century - before all this "stuff" happened. They reminisce while the rest
> of the world have moved on.

That's mostly true of every generation.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 22:09:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Regardles of family, I would not allow her in my home, and make it
>>painfully clear that she was no longer welcome there.
>>
>>You choose your friends, not your family, and if a family member has
>>such vile behavior, she does not deserve to be included. The family
>>already knows what she's like.
>>
>>"BN, you have become a problem that we do not care to deal with any
>>longer. You're not a child, and since you cannot cntrol yourself, we
>>can."
>>
>>Yes, I can be that mean. I don't know how you've up with it this
>>long.

> "To up with something": 7 Google results. Must be brand new hipster
> speak.

To own, their each.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:18:07 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 22:09:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Regardles of family, I would not allow her in my home, and make it
>>>painfully clear that she was no longer welcome there.
>>>
>>>You choose your friends, not your family, and if a family member has
>>>such vile behavior, she does not deserve to be included. The family
>>>already knows what she's like.
>>>
>>>"BN, you have become a problem that we do not care to deal with any
>>>longer. You're not a child, and since you cannot cntrol yourself, we
>>>can."
>>>
>>>Yes, I can be that mean. I don't know how you've up with it this
>>>long.

>> "To up with something": 7 Google results. Must be brand new hipster
>> speak.

>To own, their each.

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:16:12 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" > wrote in message
>
>> The baby boomers are no longer relevant as far as tracking trends goes.
>> How can they be? Mostly they wish to live in the latter half of the 20th
>> century - before all this "stuff" happened. They reminisce while the rest
>> of the world have moved on.

>That's mostly true of every generation.

Yes, in 40 years dsi2 will be saying the same thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 2:17:13 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi10yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > The baby boomers are no longer relevant as far as tracking trends goes.
> > How can they be? Mostly they wish to live in the latter half of the 20th
> > century - before all this "stuff" happened. They reminisce while the rest
> > of the world have moved on.

> That's mostly true of every generation.
>
> Cheri

I think you're absolutely right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 17:16:12 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>>> The baby boomers are no longer relevant as far as tracking trends goes.
>>> How can they be? Mostly they wish to live in the latter half of the 20th
>>> century - before all this "stuff" happened. They reminisce while the
>>> rest
>>> of the world have moved on.

>>That's mostly true of every generation.

> Yes, in 40 years dsi2 will be saying the same thing.

I think in 40 years he will be reminiscing about this newsgroup. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 02:18:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 12 Aug 2017 06:27:49p, Cheri told us...
>
>> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, in 40 years dsi2 will be saying the same thing.

>> I think in 40 years he will be reminiscing about this newsgroup.
>> ;-)
>>
>> Cheri
>>

>If he's lucky enough to have lived that long.

dsi2 is the successor to dsi1.

Fun Vintage Item jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 50 16-12-2015 09:24 PM
Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM