Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

Dave Smith wrote:

> A friend of ours used to host pot luck parties but he only invited
> people who he knew would bring interesting dishes. Just this week I
> read an advice column letter from someone wondering how to deal with a
> friend whose contribution to their groups pot luck meals were
> insultingly cheap, like a bowl of rice. I disagreed with the advice,
> which was to accept it graciously and thank her. I would be more likely
> to exclude her.

Evidently not many asians at that pot luck meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2017 10:06 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-08-09, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I was one of those "office workers" you seem to deplore. We had pot
>> lucks frequently. The company provided the meat, the employees brought
>> the side dishes. Desserts (store bought pies and cakes) seemed to be
>> most common.

> I gave up on "work" pot lucks cuz everyone brought store-bought junk
> or worse. What's worse? Take-out pizza, take-out Chinese, Chicken
> buckets, etc. It was like nobody knew how to cook.

Probably 50% don't know how, 49% are too lazy to do it.

> The only dish I ever saw that was home-cooked was some mamasita baked
> two(2) goats heads for the Holloween pot-luck. She even put the
> eyeballs back in. Those heads were scary, to be sure, but myself and
> my Vietnamese engineer buddy loved every bit. We ate the flesh,
> mostly from the head (cabeza), and had both heads to ourselves.
> Mmmmmm..... Good eats!
>
> Now, our local pot-lucks are all home cooked. My mac n' cheese is a
> requested dish.
>
> nb

The goat head sounds good. I'd pass on the eyeballs but the cheek meat
would be good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 23:08:40 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 8-Aug-2017, tert in seattle > wrote:
>
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be
>> provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks

>Brown Buttered Corn.
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Brown Buttered Corn
>
>Recipe By :Melissa Clark
>Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories :

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 3 ears corn -- shucked
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 4 sprigs thyme -- preferably lemon thyme
> Coarse sea salt
> Freshly ground black pepper
> Chopped fresh soft herbs (basil -- mint,
> parsley, cilantro), optional
>
>Break ears of corn in half and stand one half vertically on a
>cutting board. Using a sawing motion, run a knife between cob and
>kernels to remove kernels. Using back of knife, scrape denuded
>cob to release corn's juices. Transfer kernels and juice to a
>bowl. Repeat with remaining corn.
>
>Melt butter in a saucepan; add thyme. Let butter cook until you
>see golden brown specks in bottom of pan and butter smells nutty,
>about 5 minutes. Add corn, juices and a large pinch of salt and
>pepper; stir well and cover pot. Let cook until corn is tender,
>about 5 minutes.
>
>Remove thyme sprigs, add more salt and pepper if desired, and
>serve hot, alone or as a side dish, garnished with herbs if
>desired.

> "This side dish is easier than corn on the cob. Fresh corn
> kernels are cooked in butter browned so that it takes on a deep
> caramelized flavor."
>Source:
> "New York Times, Food section"
>S(Internet Address):
> "https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018599-brown-buttered-corn"
>Yield:
> "4 servings"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - - - -
>
>Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 686 Calories; 50g Fat
>(60.8% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 62g Carbohydrate; 14g
>Dietary Fiber; 124mg Cholesterol; 518mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4
>Grain(Starch); 9 1/2 Fat.
>
>Serving Ideas : Try it with these roasted fish fillets.
>

>Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

I went past this recipe a couple of times before I really got to
thinking about it. I've now saved it. Hopefully I will get to try it
for real next year (hoping my corn crop comes through then).
Meanwhile I am going to put it on my list of variations for the winter
using frozen corn. I know the little scraped nubbins will be missing
but I think this approach is a good idea. Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 22:39:53 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>
>thanks

How about something like this?

BLACK BEAN SALAD

2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
Frozen corn or fresh, equal to black beans
Chopped red pepper
Chopped green pepper
Chopped onion
Chopped, seeded, fresh tomatoes
Anaheim chopped
Jalapeno chopped
Cilantro chopped
Garlic minced
Lime juice
Salt and pepper
Maybe a smidge of cumin

There are many ideas like this out there. This is just the way I make
it. Look for Black Bean Salad, Corn Salad, Bean and Corn Salad. Lots
of variations using seasonal ingredients.

Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 10:30:27 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/9/2017 10:06 AM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2017-08-09, jmcquown > wrote:
> >
> >> I was one of those "office workers" you seem to deplore. We had pot
> >> lucks frequently. The company provided the meat, the employees brought
> >> the side dishes. Desserts (store bought pies and cakes) seemed to be
> >> most common.

> > I gave up on "work" pot lucks cuz everyone brought store-bought junk
> > or worse. What's worse? Take-out pizza, take-out Chinese, Chicken
> > buckets, etc. It was like nobody knew how to cook.

> Probably 50% don't know how, 49% are too lazy to do it.

And 1% don't have time to put together a dish after work
the night before or in the morning.

That's always my beef with work potlucks. I usually skip
them for that reason, and because everybody (even the ones
who cook) bring such carb-y stuff.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-09 10:18 AM, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> A friend of ours used to host pot luck parties but he only invited
>> people who he knew would bring interesting dishes. Just this week I
>> read an advice column letter from someone wondering how to deal with a
>> friend whose contribution to their groups pot luck meals were
>> insultingly cheap, like a bowl of rice. I disagreed with the advice,
>> which was to accept it graciously and thank her. I would be more likely
>> to exclude her.

> Evidently not many asians at that pot luck meal.

Why? Are Asians so cheap that they would boil up 20 cents worth of rice
and consider it to be a contribution to a meal for a gathering of friends?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> On 8-Aug-2017, tert in seattle > wrote:
>
>> l not -l wrote:

{snip}

>> > "This side dish is easier than corn on the cob. Fresh corn

>> > kernels are cooked in butter browned so that it takes on a
>> > deep
>> > caramelized flavor."
>> > Source:
>> > "New York Times, Food section"
>> > S(Internet Address):
>> > "https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018599-brown-buttered-corn"
>> > Yield:
>> > "4 servings"
>> > - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> > - -
>> > - - - -
>> >
>> > Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 686 Calories; 50g Fat
>> > (60.8% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 62g Carbohydrate; 14g
>> > Dietary Fiber; 124mg Cholesterol; 518mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4
>> > Grain(Starch); 9 1/2 Fat.
>> >
>> > Serving Ideas : Try it with these roasted fish fillets.
>> >

>> > Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

>> what do those NYT people know - easier than corn on the cobb my

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> butt!

^^^^

> Alll I have to contribute, in addition to the recipe itself, is,
> I made it, it was not difficult and it was greatly enjoyed by
> all, and there were request to do it again. While corn on the
> cob can be prepared by a trained chimp, this recipe is

"This side dish is easier than corn on the cob."

a child, and perhaps a trained chimp, can see the error here

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/9/2017 6:50 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:40:06 PM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>>
>>> thanks

>> Tabouli or some other vegetable-heavy dish. I don't ever seem to be
>> able to get enough vegetables at potlucks; it's always meats and
>> carbs as far as the eye can see.
>>
>> Maybe that's because I'm in the Midwest...
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> The pot lucks I've attended were always heavy on desserts and pasta
> salad and potato salad. It's hard to say without knowing what else is
> in the lineup other than grilled chicken. Side dishes? How about Chex
> Snack mix? Potato chips and dip.
>
> We had a lot of pot lucks at work. We had a sign-up sheet specifiying
> what was already being provided. Bring one of the missing items. Fresh
> greens/salad was usually one of them. The men who didn't cook
> invariably signed up to bring paper plates, plastic knives/forks and
> napkins.

what about the womwn who didn't cook?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-08-08 6:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

> How about prosciutto and melon. When we threw a big party for my wife's
> birthday that was one of the things I prepared and it was a big hit.
> Melons are good at this time of the year. It's easy enough to throw
> together and despite the high cost per pound for prosciutto, it is cut
> so thin that it doesn't take much.

I don't get the whole proscioutto with melon thing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 3:07:29 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-08-09 12:28 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Tue 08 Aug 2017 08:21:21p, tert in seattle told us...

> > Certain people in our social group predictably bring things like buns,
> > chips, jarred salsa, peper and plastic goods, etc., of which are
> > certainly useful, but always purchased with little effort to offer.

> A friend of ours used to host pot luck parties but he only invited
> people who he knew would bring interesting dishes. Just this week I
> read an advice column letter from someone wondering how to deal with a
> friend whose contribution to their groups pot luck meals were
> insultingly cheap, like a bowl of rice. I disagreed with the advice,
> which was to accept it graciously and thank her. I would be more likely
> to exclude her.

I would bring Asian potato salad for potluck - it's interesting stuff! Potlucks over here are kinda odd cause always get choke food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZsBqNJywFs&t=259s
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I cook them in the oven, the conventional way, but transfer the beans to a crockpot for transport and to keep them hot at the buffet

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-09 1:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-08-08 6:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

>> How about prosciutto and melon. When we threw a big party for my wife's
>> birthday that was one of the things I prepared and it was a big hit.
>> Melons are good at this time of the year. It's easy enough to throw
>> together and despite the high cost per pound for prosciutto, it is cut
>> so thin that it doesn't take much.

> I don't get the whole proscioutto with melon thing

I like it. I can tell you that at our outdoor party on a hot summer day
it was eaten up in no time and I made up another batch.

BTW.... my son had suggested sliced watermelon as well. It goes down
nicely on a hot summer day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 3:07:29 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-08-09 12:28 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Tue 08 Aug 2017 08:21:21p, tert in seattle told us...

> > Certain people in our social group predictably bring things like buns,
> > chips, jarred salsa, peper and plastic goods, etc., of which are
> > certainly useful, but always purchased with little effort to offer.

> A friend of ours used to host pot luck parties but he only invited
> people who he knew would bring interesting dishes. Just this week I
> read an advice column letter from someone wondering how to deal with a
> friend whose contribution to their groups pot luck meals were
> insultingly cheap, like a bowl of rice. I disagreed with the advice,
> which was to accept it graciously and thank her. I would be more likely
> to exclude her.

I would bring Asian potato salad for potluck - it's interesting stuff!
Potlucks over here are kinda odd cause always get choke food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZsBqNJywFs&t=259s

==

lol I like that bloke He is funny

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 11:39:58 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > On 8/9/2017 10:06 AM, notbob wrote:
> > >
> > > I gave up on "work" pot lucks cuz everyone brought store-bought junk
> > > or worse. What's worse? Take-out pizza, take-out Chinese, Chicken
> > > buckets, etc. It was like nobody knew how to cook.

> > Probably 50% don't know how, 49% are too lazy to do it.

> And 1% don't have time to put together a dish after work
> the night before or in the morning.
>
> That's always my beef with work potlucks. I usually skip
> them for that reason, and because everybody (even the ones
> who cook) bring such carb-y stuff.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My last position in the company I worked for was in the computer
room and it was shift work 3 days per week. 6:00 a.m. until 7:30
p.m. when on the day shift. The first year or so somebody was
always wanting to do some sort of potluck dinner while working
these hours. I told them no, I would not be participating after
being up for 14+ hours to stop at the store and then go home and
cook something.

If they wanted to do some sort of potluck meal then they should
let everybody know the week BEFORE. Everybody could hit the store
while off work and then cook and have it ready to bring to work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 17:39:46 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-08-08 6:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

>> How about prosciutto and melon. When we threw a big party for my wife's
>> birthday that was one of the things I prepared and it was a big hit.
>> Melons are good at this time of the year. It's easy enough to throw
>> together and despite the high cost per pound for prosciutto, it is cut
>> so thin that it doesn't take much.

>I don't get the whole proscioutto with melon thing

Me neither... I like melon but Ithink proscioutto is absolutely
flavorless... I don't care that it's pricey, I wouldn't eat it were it
free... I think people swoon over proscioutto for the same reason that
they swoon over the emperor's new clothes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2017 1:38 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Tabouli or some other vegetable-heavy dish. I don't ever seem to be
>>> able to get enough vegetables at potlucks; it's always meats and
>>> carbs as far as the eye can see.
>>>
>>> Maybe that's because I'm in the Midwest...
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> The pot lucks I've attended were always heavy on desserts and pasta
>> salad and potato salad. It's hard to say without knowing what else is
>> in the lineup other than grilled chicken. Side dishes? How about Chex
>> Snack mix? Potato chips and dip.
>>
>> We had a lot of pot lucks at work. We had a sign-up sheet specifiying
>> what was already being provided. Bring one of the missing items. Fresh
>> greens/salad was usually one of them. The men who didn't cook
>> invariably signed up to bring paper plates, plastic knives/forks and
>> napkins.

> what about the womwn who didn't cook?

They brought paper plates, plastic cutlery and napkins, too. I was
talking about a work pot luck. It was usually the men who were the ones
who didn't cook. Things got difficult when the company started stocking
tableware. Uh oh, a pot luck! Better run to a bakery! Find a cake or
a pie! I only knew a few men who actually cooked. I'll never forget
one man whose wife brought in a pan of homemade Spanikopita. He was so
proud! It was delicious, but he acted like *he'd* done something. No,
his wife showed up with a baking dish...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Wed 09 Aug 2017 01:19:58p, jmcquown told us...

>>> what about the womwn who didn't cook?
>>>

>> They brought paper plates, plastic cutlery and napkins, too. I
>> was talking about a work pot luck. It was usually the men who
>> were the ones who didn't cook. Things got difficult when the
>> company started stocking tableware. Uh oh, a pot luck! Better
>> run to a bakery! Find a cake or a pie! I only knew a few men who
>> actually cooked. I'll never forget one man whose wife brought in
>> a pan of homemade Spanikopita. He was so proud! It was
>> delicious, but he acted like *he'd* done something. No, his wife
>> showed up with a baking dish...
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Well, he apparently convinced his wife to make the spanikopita. I
> have made it and it's really not that hard to make, but I consider it
> tedious. I love to eat it. :-)

Yeah, he convinced his wife to make it. I love spanikopita but can't be
bothered with buttering sheets of phyllo dough. I'd have just made a
quiche.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 09:03:34 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/9/2017 8:34 AM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 07:51:07 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> The pot lucks I've attended were always heavy on desserts and pasta
>>> salad and potato salad. It's hard to say without knowing what else is
>>> in the lineup other than grilled chicken. Side dishes? How about Chex
>>> Snack mix? Potato chips and dip.
>>>
>>> We had a lot of pot lucks at work. We had a sign-up sheet specifiying
>>> what was already being provided. Bring one of the missing items. Fresh
>>> greens/salad was usually one of them. The men who didn't cook
>>> invariably signed up to bring paper plates, plastic knives/forks and
>>> napkins. The company started providing those so they had to figure out
>>> something else. It's not easy, unless you know what other people are
>>> already bringing.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> We didn't do pot lucks at work, we would all agree on a menu and a
>> price, and food was purchased and prepared in the shop kitchen or
>> outdoors on a large grill and in large pots... the welders made the
>> large cooking equipment.
>>

>I was one of those "office workers" you seem to deplore. We had pot
>lucks frequently. The company provided the meat, the employees brought
>the side dishes. Desserts (store bought pies and cakes) seemed to be
>most common.
>
>Jill

I have never considered office personnel as workers, they are
nonproductive overhead that make work. The computer was promoted as
something that would reduce paper and paper pushers but just the
opposite has occured... "office worker" is an oxymoron.

Today I had a doctor appointment... I spent 45 minutes driving to the
office. While there I met with four different office personnel. I
was handed 22 pages of paperwork on a cdlipboard to fill out that took
me 2 hours to complete... took them ten full minutes to find me a pen.
Teh only thing I did that I considered productive was going down the
hall to have an x-ray. There were 6-7 patents in the waiting room but
there were more than 20 office personnel... the most difficult work
they did was to find me a pen that wrote. Was a totally wasted day,
they could have/should have emailed me the paperwork to fill out at
home. I actually had to write my name, today's date, my phone number,
my birthday, my age, and insurance info on the top of all 22 pages...
if they didn't have everyone fill out 22 pages of redundencies
they'd have pens that wrote.

I drove home for another 45 minutes and never saw a doctor. Not ten
minutes ago my phone rang and I was given an appointment to see the
doctor, next week. Paper pushers, yik

This was the same doctor who treated me ten years ago for back pain, a
neurosurgeon. Ten years was good milage on epidural shots. But then
I didn't need to go through all the rigamorole, gotta blame the
obomination awfuss personal make paperwork program. Awfuss personel
is NOT legitimate employment, a welder is legitimate employment but
never awfuss personel. I'd pay someone to mop floors and clean
toilets but never to sit on their fat ass and push paper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>
>> thanks

> actually I'm thinking I'll do my latest fetish, tomato cucumber yogurt
> salad

so it turns out I did not have complete information - more than just
grilled chicken is going to be provided - I'm limited to a bottle of
wine or a dessert but neither is obligatory

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-09 4:30 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 09 Aug 2017 01:19:58p, jmcquown told us...

> Well, he apparently convinced his wife to make the spanikopita. I
> have made it and it's really not that hard to make, but I consider it
> tedious. I love to eat it. :-)

Phyllo can be intimidating for some people.... most people. There are
different ways to make spanikopita. The more traditional way is to do it
in a pan and slice it, so that style if not too much hassle. As a party
food it is more common to cut the phyllo into strips and roll them up
into individual servings.

Spanokopita is one of my exceptions for cooked spinach. I normally
wouldn't give you two cents for cooked spinach, but I love that stuff. I
occasionally do phyllo wrapped dishes and spanikopita is on my bucket list.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-09 5:04 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/9/2017 4:30 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Wed 09 Aug 2017 01:19:58p, jmcquown told us...

> Yeah, he convinced his wife to make it. I love spanikopita but can't be
> bothered with buttering sheets of phyllo dough. I'd have just made a
> quiche.

It's not too onerous a chore to brush melted butter on phyllo pastry.
For savory dishes you can use olive oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 19:38:38 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 03:23:26 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> tert in seattle wrote:
>>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>>
>>> thanks

>> actually I'm thinking I'll do my latest fetish, tomato cucumber yogurt
>> salad

>It doesn't hold very well. Maybe Julie has a solution to keep it from
>getting soggy.
>
>Rather than yogurt, I use sour cream, mayo, and lemon juice for a
>richer taste. Yogurt is TIAD and shouldn't be used for cooking or
>mixing with anything.
>
>-sw

Agreed 100%... yogurt will suck moisture from cukes until there's a
huge liberal swamp in your plate... the only use I have for plain
yogurt is smushed into hot boiled spuds... with pickled lox when I can
get it... not many places on the planet anymore that have pickled lox.
http://www.nytimes.com/1985/09/18/ga...or-pickled-lox...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2017 6:12 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>> tert in seattle wrote:
>>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>>
>>> thanks

>> actually I'm thinking I'll do my latest fetish, tomato cucumber yogurt
>> salad

> so it turns out I did not have complete information - more than just
> grilled chicken is going to be provided - I'm limited to a bottle of
> wine or a dessert but neither is obligatory

Right now peaches are in season. That would be my choice for a dessert.
Pie, cobbler. tarts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2017 5:38 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 03:23:26 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> tert in seattle wrote:
>>> I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
>>> as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??
>>>
>>> thanks

>> actually I'm thinking I'll do my latest fetish, tomato cucumber yogurt
>> salad

> It doesn't hold very well. Maybe Julie has a solution to keep it from
> getting soggy.

why does it have to hold? Toss it on site.

> Rather than yogurt, I use sour cream, mayo, and lemon juice for a
> richer taste. Yogurt is TIAD and shouldn't be used for cooking or
> mixing with anything.
>
> -sw

I guess you are not Greek!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-09 9:24 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 19:38:38 -0500, Sqwertz >

> Agreed 100%... yogurt will suck moisture from cukes until there's a
> huge liberal swamp in your plate... the only use I have for plain
> yogurt is smushed into hot boiled spuds... with pickled lox when I can
> get it... not many places on the planet anymore that have pickled lox.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/09/18/ga...or-pickled-lox...

Grate or slice the cukes very thin and let them drain. Add some salt to
suck out even more water. That will stop them from slopping up the yogurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 18:30:47 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 8/9/2017 5:38 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> actually I'm thinking I'll do my latest fetish, tomato cucumber yogurt
>>> salad

>> It doesn't hold very well. Maybe Julie has a solution to keep it from
>> getting soggy.

>why does it have to hold? Toss it on site.
>

>> Rather than yogurt, I use sour cream, mayo, and lemon juice for a
>> richer taste. Yogurt is TIAD and shouldn't be used for cooking or
>> mixing with anything.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>I guess you are not Greek!

Taking large cukes Greek style is not something you should be proud
of.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 9:07:44 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 3:07:29 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2017-08-09 12:28 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > > On Tue 08 Aug 2017 08:21:21p, tert in seattle told us...

> > > Certain people in our social group predictably bring things like buns,
> > > chips, jarred salsa, peper and plastic goods, etc., of which are
> > > certainly useful, but always purchased with little effort to offer.

> > A friend of ours used to host pot luck parties but he only invited
> > people who he knew would bring interesting dishes. Just this week I
> > read an advice column letter from someone wondering how to deal with a
> > friend whose contribution to their groups pot luck meals were
> > insultingly cheap, like a bowl of rice. I disagreed with the advice,
> > which was to accept it graciously and thank her. I would be more likely
> > to exclude her.

> I would bring Asian potato salad for potluck - it's interesting stuff!
> Potlucks over here are kinda odd cause always get choke food.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZsBqNJywFs&t=259s
>
> ==
>
> lol I like that bloke He is funny
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I'm interested in food and how it relates to culture so yeah, that guy is the bomb. My son got a plate of Filipino spaghetti recently. I asked him how it was. He said it's like spaghetti with ketchup, only sweeter. I'm very anxious to try this style spaghetti. Unfortunately, he ate up every last scrap of pasta or whatever the heck is in Filipino spaghetti. One day, man.

http://jollibeepadala.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 5:57:58 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

> I have never considered office personnel as workers, they are
> nonproductive overhead that make work. The computer was promoted as
> something that would reduce paper and paper pushers but just the
> opposite has occured... "office worker" is an oxymoron.

You're dead wrong about that at many companies. I work for a company
that makes software. Everybody who writes software is an office
worker.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 03:36:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 5:57:58 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>
>> I have never considered office personnel as workers, they are
>> nonproductive overhead that make work. The computer was promoted as
>> something that would reduce paper and paper pushers but just the
>> opposite has occured... "office worker" is an oxymoron.

>You're dead wrong about that at many companies. I work for a company
>that makes software. Everybody who writes software is an office
>worker.

Without office workers the shlemiel wouldn't have electricity or a
mower or cat food or toilet paper or a house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Without office workers the shlemiel wouldn't have electricity or a
> mower or cat food or toilet paper or a house.

That's true. The blue collar workers in a company can be highly
skilled at what they do and make good products. Without office
workers that know "their" skills, any company would fail.
Marketing, bookkeeping, accounting, advertising, sales are all
necessary office workers in any company. Any successful company
is a team effort.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I generally prefer yogurt to sour cream. Eating that big slug of
> fat just doesn't appeal.

Each one has it's place. I like them both but they are not always
interchangable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Right now peaches are in season. That would be my choice for a dessert.
> Pie, cobbler. tarts.

Sadly, my grocery store fresh peaches were not so good. They are
picked unripe to allow for the distribution. Hoping to get some
local fresh picked sometime next week.

In the meantime, I bought a can of peaches in light syrup this
morning. I'll have that with vanilla ice cream later today or
tonight. Never tried that combo but it sounds good.

Fun Vintage Item jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 50 16-12-2015 08:24 PM
Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM