Old 09-08-2017, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

l not -l wrote:

On 8-Aug-2017, tert in seattle wrote:

I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be
provided,
as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

thanks

Brown Buttered Corn.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Brown Buttered Corn

Recipe By :Melissa Clark
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 ears corn -- shucked
4 tablespoons butter
4 sprigs thyme -- preferably lemon thyme
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Chopped fresh soft herbs (basil -- mint,
parsley, cilantro), optional

Break ears of corn in half and stand one half vertically on a
cutting board. Using a sawing motion, run a knife between cob and
kernels to remove kernels. Using back of knife, scrape denuded
cob to release corn's juices. Transfer kernels and juice to a
bowl. Repeat with remaining corn.

Melt butter in a saucepan; add thyme. Let butter cook until you
see golden brown specks in bottom of pan and butter smells nutty,
about 5 minutes. Add corn, juices and a large pinch of salt and
pepper; stir well and cover pot. Let cook until corn is tender,
about 5 minutes.

Remove thyme sprigs, add more salt and pepper if desired, and
serve hot, alone or as a side dish, garnished with herbs if
desired.

"This side dish is easier than corn on the cob. Fresh corn
kernels are cooked in butter browned so that it takes on a deep
caramelized flavor."
Source:
"New York Times, Food section"
S(Internet Address):
"https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018599-brown-buttered-corn"
Yield:
"4 servings"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 686 Calories; 50g Fat
(60.8% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 62g Carbohydrate; 14g
Dietary Fiber; 124mg Cholesterol; 518mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4
Grain(Starch); 9 1/2 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Try it with these roasted fish fillets.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

what do those NYT people know - easier than corn on the cobb my butt!

Old 09-08-2017, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/8/2017 6:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

thanks

Cole slaw, either chopped or grated and soggy depending on your
preferred method.

thanks

Old 09-08-2017, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Tue 08 Aug 2017 03:39:53p, tert in seattle told us...

I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be
provided, as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

thanks

Besides side dishes, you might consider taking a dessert, perhaps bake
a pie or cake.

too much work

Old 09-08-2017, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
On 8/8/2017 5:39 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

Perhaps some nice dinner rolls or sliced artisan breads (accompanied
with real butter)? Or maybe a variety of crackers and cheeses?

Sky

thanks

Old 09-08-2017, 04:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"tert in seattle" wrote in message
I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

thanks

Pasta salad. Large pasta shapes. Large shell is perfect if you can find it.
All sorts of raw veggies cut to the size of the pasta. Black olives and
green stuffed olives. Freshly parsley snipped. Green or other onions. Can
add kidney beans, cubes of Swiss cheese, hard/dry salami cut in slices then
strips. Italian dressing, salt, pepper. Cook, drain and cool the pasta then
mix it all together.

thanks but not my thing

Old 09-08-2017, 04:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

thanks

actually I'm thinking I'll do my latest fetish, tomato cucumber yogurt
salad

Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 04:28:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Tue 08 Aug 2017 08:21:21p, tert in seattle told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Tue 08 Aug 2017 03:39:53p, tert in seattle told us...

I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be
provided, as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

thanks

Besides side dishes, you might consider taking a dessert, perhaps
bake a pie or cake.

too much work

Certain people in our social group predictably bring things like buns,
chips, jarred salsa, peper and plastic goods, etc., of which are
certainly useful, but always purchased with little effort to offer.

Ok, I've read that 4 times now and it still doesn't make sense. You
can talk better than that, Whiny Wayne.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

Always appreciated, little labor, and easily transported... just bring
a few bottles of dressing:
https://postimg.org/image/xx56o421x/
Old 09-08-2017, 11:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 03:22:11 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:

"tert in seattle" wrote in message
I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

thanks

Pasta salad. Large pasta shapes. Large shell is perfect if you can find it.
All sorts of raw veggies cut to the size of the pasta. Black olives and
green stuffed olives. Freshly parsley snipped. Green or other onions. Can
add kidney beans, cubes of Swiss cheese, hard/dry salami cut in slices then
strips. Italian dressing, salt, pepper. Cook, drain and cool the pasta then
mix it all together.

thanks but not my thing

Number one priority of a civilized human being is to please the
majority of guests first and yourself last, BEAST!

Old 09-08-2017, 11:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 03:21:21 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Tue 08 Aug 2017 03:39:53p, tert in seattle told us...

I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be
provided, as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

thanks

Besides side dishes, you might consider taking a dessert, perhaps bake
a pie or cake.

too much work

Huh? The oven does the majority of work.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 03:23:26 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
wrote:

tert in seattle wrote:
I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

thanks

actually I'm thinking I'll do my latest fetish, tomato cucumber yogurt
salad

Good it's your fetish as you'll be eating most yourself, a lot of
people don't care for yogurt.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:40:06 PM UTC-4, tert in seattle wrote:
I'm going to a pot luck this weekend. Grilled chicken will be provided,
as well as drinks. Not sure what to bring. Any ideas??

thanks

Tabouli or some other vegetable-heavy dish. I don't ever seem to be
able to get enough vegetables at potlucks; it's always meats and
carbs as far as the eye can see.

Maybe that's because I'm in the Midwest...

Cindy Hamilton

Fun Vintage Item jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 50 16-12-2015 09:24 PM
Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM