Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 02:39:29 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> >I use a one drink limit when driving but I have no idea what it would
>> >take me to reach.08. You can buy meters for less than $20 so a regular
>> >drinker really has no excuse if they cared.
>> >
>> >I often watch Live PD. No one driving ever has more than two beers.
>> >Usually a couple of hours before getting stopped too.

>> I think 2 drinks is .05, so .08 would probably be 3.

> You're mistaken.
>
> Scotland reduced the BAC to .05. (Lower than England and Wales).
> One pint of beer or one glass of wine can be enough to exceed the
>limit as some have found to their cost.
>
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news...fter-drinking-
>one-pint/

A pint, is that more than half a liter of beer? I don't call that "one
drink"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message

> I haven't lived in the US. What I know about McDonalds US comes from
> what Ed told me and others confirmed in this thread. Without that
> information I would have thought McDonalds wasn't much of a social
> gathering place, except maybe for young punks

McDonald's is not a place where young punks meet...ever, except to use the
drive thrus and be on their way to more exciting things.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 22:14:15 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I haven't lived in the US. What I know about McDonalds US comes from
>> what Ed told me and others confirmed in this thread. Without that
>> information I would have thought McDonalds wasn't much of a social
>> gathering place, except maybe for young punks

>McDonald's is not a place where young punks meet...ever, except to use the
>drive thrus and be on their way to more exciting things.

That underlines how wrong I was before this group informed me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Dienstag, 22. August 2017 02:41:26 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 17:21:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 5:52:18 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> >>
> >> You are at best able to seem to barely understand USA and some small
> >> portion of coffee shops in Europe.
> >>
> >> How many years have you lived in each culture?
> >>

> >I've been following this thread pretty much regularly. What I
> >don't understand is Bruce is _constantly_ telling us about
> >where and when people in Europe drink coffee.

> No, I'm only saying that they don't drink coffee at McDonalds.

Never and nowhere? So you have been to every McDonalds in Europe all
times of the day (and night, if necessary)?
Impressive.

> >He tells us they wouldn't dare set foot in a McDonald's

> I didn't say that either. You're exaggerating a lot.

Pot, kettle, black?

> > much less that people
> >even meet up for a cup of coffee.

> And I didn't say that either. What's wrong with you people? I don't
> think you're all stupid and I know you can read. What goes wrong in
> your brains that you keep reading things I never wrote?

Because of the way you write about places where you've never been?

> >Unless I'm sadly mistaken doesn't he live in Australia?

> I do, but I lived most of my life in the Netherlands.
>
> >If he, indeed, still lives in Australia why is he lecturing us
> >on what Europeans do?

> I'm not lecturing you.

Aha...

> I said McDonalds in Europe is mainly visited by
> a specific subgroup of people that we all don't belong to.

By that logic, you can hardly ever have visited any, but talk about it.
A lot. And state that that's fact.
What was the negative meaning of the word you said you weren't doing again?

> That's McDonalds EU, not McDonalds US.

No.
That's mostly McDonalds NL in some of the areas of NL where you have seen
McDonalds (you don't go there, as I recall) and maybe some in other parts
of Europe. Those you have encountered. From the outside mostly.

> > Shouldn't he be telling us what all his mates drink, where, and when?

> Mainly at someone's home or in a pub.

You missed the "when".
Important considering meeting with ones coworkers on the way to work
with not everyone living in the same direction from work.
Leaves out home most times for that occasion. A bit early for the pub.
What's left and near the working place?
You work from home; no need to answer that.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 00:21:05 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

<snip a lot of bitching>

Lol, who ****ed in your beer all of a sudden? It wasn't me, you know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Dienstag, 22. August 2017 09:49:19 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 00:21:05 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> > wrote:
>
> <snip a lot of bitching>

<shrug> Since you snipped all of it, nobody who hasn't read my message
has a chance to prove you right or wrong here.

> Lol, who ****ed in your beer all of a sudden? It wasn't me, you know.

Hm. That's what I'd call bitching.

Bye bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 01:57:46 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>Am Dienstag, 22. August 2017 09:49:19 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
>> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 00:21:05 -0700 (PDT), sanne
>> > wrote:
>>
>> <snip a lot of bitching>

><shrug> Since you snipped all of it, nobody who hasn't read my message
>has a chance to prove you right or wrong here.

This whole discussion isn't that important. I'm more interested to
know what I said that got you so angry.

>> Lol, who ****ed in your beer all of a sudden? It wasn't me, you know.

>Hm. That's what I'd call bitching.

Really?

>Bye bye, Sanne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 4:41:35 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> You said they "have a more narrow option" and that's how they end up
> at McDonalds. If that's true, I feel sorry for them. Everybody should
> have more options than going to McDonalds.

It's probably worth mentioning that we don't have much of a café culture
in the U.S. That has changed in the last 20 or so years with the spread
of Starbuck's, but mostly in relatively urban areas. Still, someone who
is retired now isn't likely to go to a café. If they're lucky, they'll
have a diner they can go to; otherwise, it's just McDonalds.

Oh, and... Should? Where does "should" come into play? I should have
a billion dollars and a private helicopter, but I don't.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >>You seem to see things from a solely American perspective, but there
> >>are more countries in the world. Have you ever traveled outside of the
> >>US?

> >Yes he was in the USN, that's why cshenk thinks the sun sets where he
> >treads!

> I piggy-backed but I was actually asking Cindy. I didn't see her
> original post.

Ah. Messed-up attributions. Can happen to anybody.

No, I have not traveled extensively. Montreal is the most foreign
place I've ever been.

Of course I'm speaking from an American perspective. You're speaking
from a European perspective.

Does it matter whether I have traveled? I take your word for it that
Europe has many better options than McDonald's. Many places in the U.S.
don't, and it's not likely to change for the better, given the corporate
stranglehold on American dining. I'm grateful to live in a college town.
The presence of educated and international residents makes for a more
interesting dining scene.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 8:03:47 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> If I'd meet an old friend, it would always be in the evening and in a
> pub, or at either's home.

I'm sure many oldtimers do that, too. With 320 million people, you
probably can find an example of every sort of behavior.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:28:06 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

wrote:

>> >Yes he was in the USN, that's why cshenk thinks the sun sets where he
>> >treads!

>> I piggy-backed but I was actually asking Cindy. I didn't see her
>> original post.

>Ah. Messed-up attributions. Can happen to anybody.
>
>No, I have not traveled extensively. Montreal is the most foreign
>place I've ever been.
>
>Of course I'm speaking from an American perspective. You're speaking
>from a European perspective.
>
>Does it matter whether I have traveled? I take your word for it that
>Europe has many better options than McDonald's. Many places in the U.S.
>don't, and it's not likely to change for the better, given the corporate
>stranglehold on American dining. I'm grateful to live in a college town.
>The presence of educated and international residents makes for a more
>interesting dining scene.

College towns are nice that way. I wouldn't want to live in a place
where McDonalds is the most interesting option.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Actually here in Canada they tend to meet at Tim Hortons coffee, they
>>>also serve very nice doughnuts. I know my bestest friends widower is
>>>often to be found there in the a.m. with his buds. Most of their trade
>>>is drive through in the a.m. so they don't mind the old gaffers
>>>gathering.

>>If I'd meet an old friend, it would always be in the evening and in a
>>pub, or at either's home.

>I'm sure he would rather meet in the pub but he's not able to get out
>then, he's reliant on the carer to drive him to Tims.

Yes, I understand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:40:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 8:03:47 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>
>> If I'd meet an old friend, it would always be in the evening and in a
>> pub, or at either's home.

>I'm sure many oldtimers do that, too. With 320 million people, you
>probably can find an example of every sort of behavior.

Yes, everything exists and everything we're all saying about this is a
generalised statement, with the flaws that come with that. But if I
can only say things about McDonalds after I've visited all the
franchises in Europe -like Sanne suggests- I'd have to quit my day job
and I might be dead before I come to a conclusion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:21:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 4:41:35 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>
>> You said they "have a more narrow option" and that's how they end up
>> at McDonalds. If that's true, I feel sorry for them. Everybody should
>> have more options than going to McDonalds.

>It's probably worth mentioning that we don't have much of a café culture
>in the U.S. That has changed in the last 20 or so years with the spread
>of Starbuck's, but mostly in relatively urban areas. Still, someone who
>is retired now isn't likely to go to a café. If they're lucky, they'll
>have a diner they can go to; otherwise, it's just McDonalds.
>
>Oh, and... Should? Where does "should" come into play? I should have
>a billion dollars and a private helicopter, but I don't.

"Should" as in something that would ideally be the case.

McDonalds is held in higher regard in the US than in Europe. I think
that's all there is to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2017 12:57 PM, Bruce wrote:

> College towns are nice that way. I wouldn't want to live in a place
> where McDonalds is the most interesting option.

My nearest McDonald's is about 100 miles south.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 13:38:35 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 8/22/2017 12:57 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>> College towns are nice that way. I wouldn't want to live in a place
>> where McDonalds is the most interesting option.
>>

>My nearest McDonald's is about 100 miles south.

You must live very rurally. We do too, but the nearest McD is a lot
closer than yours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/19/2017 8:10 PM, Cheri wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> I've driven coast to coast in the US and in Canada many times, mostly
>> meals were from a supermarket, reasonably priced, always clean, and a
>> fantastic selection of viands. I traveled with a small ice chest and
>> with a small charcoal grill... I could eat anything served at the
>> finast reataurants for 1/10 the cost, and cleaner by far. Most motor
>> inns have a picnic area, many supply charcoal grills.

> Yes, probably in your beat up white van with a rope trailing behind. I
> think I saw you once on an episode of Criminal Minds at a rest stop. LOL
>
> Cheri

I can't recall the last time I heard anyone refer to a motel as a "motor
inn". Gee, did the big sign out front advertise COLOR TV and AIR
CONDITIONING?!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 8/19/2017 8:10 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> I've driven coast to coast in the US and in Canada many times, mostly
>>> meals were from a supermarket, reasonably priced, always clean, and a
>>> fantastic selection of viands. I traveled with a small ice chest and
>>> with a small charcoal grill... I could eat anything served at the
>>> finast reataurants for 1/10 the cost, and cleaner by far. Most motor
>>> inns have a picnic area, many supply charcoal grills.

>> Yes, probably in your beat up white van with a rope trailing behind. I
>> think I saw you once on an episode of Criminal Minds at a rest stop. LOL
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> I can't recall the last time I heard anyone refer to a motel as a "motor
> inn". Gee, did the big sign out front advertise COLOR TV and AIR
> CONDITIONING?!
>
> Jill

I haven't heard that for years either, must be those backroads he travels.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> College towns are nice that way. I wouldn't want to live in a place
> where McDonalds is the most interesting option.

Keep in mind Bruce. McDonalds in the early morning is not about
food or even about rich or poor. McD in the early morning is just
an empty place where you can buy cheap and decent coffee. And
there is no waitress trying to hurry you up so someone else can
get your table. I even think they offer senior citizen discounts
but I'm not sure....at age 64, I would probably qualify but I've
never asked.

McD welcomes all in the morning. Creates "good will" to come back
later.
Free WIFI too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> McDonalds is held in higher regard in the US than in Europe. I think
> that's all there is to it.

PPL here don't need to pick on McDonalds. They are a huge
successful corporation with franchises in so many countries. I
suspect most customers don't live on their food. It's just an
occasional change from other burgers and such.

Many here put them down so often but hey...they are laughing at
you all the way to the bank.

I love their food, but only one trip every few months and I don't
care if they are mystery meat burgers....I like them.

Burger King Whoppers are pretty darn good too. I'm overdue for a
couple of those boys@ :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 8/22/2017 12:57 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
> > College towns are nice that way. I wouldn't want to live in a place
> > where McDonalds is the most interesting option.
> >

> My nearest McDonald's is about 100 miles south.

Here's a somewhat funny that happened to me about 25 years ago.

My daughter and I rode with my parents one day to check on their
new house that was being built. It was about 300 miles away.
Well, about half way, Dad stopped at a McDonalds for bathroom and
a quick lunch.

Whenever I traveled, I would always buy several burgers (or BBQ
sandwiches) so I could eat some on the way.

So in this one McDonalds, I ordered 3 quarter pounders with
cheese and 2 large fries. I figured I would eat one burger and
fries at the table then take the rest to munch on as we continued
to travel.

Oh man. What I didn't know is that my Dad was an assmunch and
refused to have food in his nifty new car. No munching burgers
along the way. He refused to leave the McDonalds until I ate all
that food. Crap! Since he was treating, I felt the need to eat it
all and not toss some.

So we all sat there until I ate 3 quarter pounders and 2 large
fries. He was worried about food in his car? He should have been
more worried that I might throw-up all that crammed in food into
his super-duper new car.

Jackass!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-22 9:35 AM, Gary wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
>>
>> On 8/22/2017 12:57 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> College towns are nice that way. I wouldn't want to live in a place
>>> where McDonalds is the most interesting option.
>>>

>> My nearest McDonald's is about 100 miles south.

> Here's a somewhat funny that happened to me about 25 years ago.
>
> My daughter and I rode with my parents one day to check on their
> new house that was being built. It was about 300 miles away.
> Well, about half way, Dad stopped at a McDonalds for bathroom and
> a quick lunch.
>
> Whenever I traveled, I would always buy several burgers (or BBQ
> sandwiches) so I could eat some on the way.
>
> So in this one McDonalds, I ordered 3 quarter pounders with
> cheese and 2 large fries. I figured I would eat one burger and
> fries at the table then take the rest to munch on as we continued
> to travel.
>
> Oh man. What I didn't know is that my Dad was an assmunch and
> refused to have food in his nifty new car. No munching burgers
> along the way. He refused to leave the McDonalds until I ate all
> that food. Crap! Since he was treating, I felt the need to eat it
> all and not toss some.
>
> So we all sat there until I ate 3 quarter pounders and 2 large
> fries. He was worried about food in his car? He should have been
> more worried that I might throw-up all that crammed in food into
> his super-duper new car.

I don't blame him. I would not want people eating in my new car either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-22 9:40 AM, Janet wrote:

>>> College towns are nice that way. I wouldn't want to live in a place
>>> where McDonalds is the most interesting option.
>>>

>> My nearest McDonald's is about 100 miles south.

> Sounds ideal :-) I'm afraid the nearest to here is only 20 miles
> away.

There is one in my town. It is not very big, and it is not very busy. It
is probably their least profitable outlet in the country. There are
several in nearby cities that do quite well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2017 1:42 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 13:38:35 +0100, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> On 8/22/2017 12:57 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> College towns are nice that way. I wouldn't want to live in a place
>>> where McDonalds is the most interesting option.
>>>

>> My nearest McDonald's is about 100 miles south.

> You must live very rurally. We do too, but the nearest McD is a lot
> closer than yours.

Very rural - on the north coast of Scotland. We have an excellent
restaurant just up the road, within easy walking distance, and a couple
more about 5 miles away.
Anything else interesting is about 40 miles east, or 100 miles south.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 03:40:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 8:03:47 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>
>> If I'd meet an old friend, it would always be in the evening and in a
>> pub, or at either's home.

>I'm sure many oldtimers do that, too. With 320 million people, you
>probably can find an example of every sort of behavior.

Yes, everything exists and everything we're all saying about this is a
generalised statement, with the flaws that come with that. But if I
can only say things about McDonalds after I've visited all the
franchises in Europe -like Sanne suggests- I'd have to quit my day job
and I might be dead before I come to a conclusion.

==

Sounds a hellish idea I have been in one of those fast food places and
ordered Filet of fish! Never been in one since

It was full of gunk. I have heard though that in different countries the
menus are different. Perhaps the contents of the items are too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2017 9:32 AM, Gary wrote:

> Keep in mind Bruce. McDonalds in the early morning is not about
> food or even about rich or poor. McD in the early morning is just
> an empty place where you can buy cheap and decent coffee. And
> there is no waitress trying to hurry you up so someone else can
> get your table. I even think they offer senior citizen discounts
> but I'm not sure....at age 64, I would probably qualify but I've
> never asked.

Just order a Senior coffee. 79 cents here. Sometimes they have any
size for $1, a good deal if you want the larger size.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2017 9:46 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-08-22 9:35 AM, Gary wrote:
>> S Viemeister wrote:

>>> My nearest McDonald's is about 100 miles south.

>> Here's a somewhat funny that happened to me about 25 years ago.
>>
>> My daughter and I rode with my parents one day to check on their
>> new house that was being built. It was about 300 miles away.
>> Well, about half way, Dad stopped at a McDonalds for bathroom and
>> a quick lunch.
>>
>> Whenever I traveled, I would always buy several burgers (or BBQ
>> sandwiches) so I could eat some on the way.
>>
>> So in this one McDonalds, I ordered 3 quarter pounders with
>> cheese and 2 large fries. I figured I would eat one burger and
>> fries at the table then take the rest to munch on as we continued
>> to travel.
>>
>> Oh man. What I didn't know is that my Dad was an assmunch and
>> refused to have food in his nifty new car. No munching burgers
>> along the way. He refused to leave the McDonalds until I ate all
>> that food. Crap! Since he was treating, I felt the need to eat it
>> all and not toss some.
>>
>> So we all sat there until I ate 3 quarter pounders and 2 large
>> fries.Â* He was worried about food in his car? He should have been
>> more worried that I might throw-up all that crammed in food into
>> his super-duper new car.
>>

> I don't blame him. I would not want people eating in my new car either.

But you can pull over and get out to eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 09:46:59 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-08-22 9:35 AM, Gary wrote:
>> S Viemeister wrote:

>>> My nearest McDonald's is about 100 miles south.

>> Here's a somewhat funny that happened to me about 25 years ago.
>>
>> My daughter and I rode with my parents one day to check on their
>> new house that was being built. It was about 300 miles away.
>> Well, about half way, Dad stopped at a McDonalds for bathroom and
>> a quick lunch.
>>
>> Whenever I traveled, I would always buy several burgers (or BBQ
>> sandwiches) so I could eat some on the way.
>>
>> So in this one McDonalds, I ordered 3 quarter pounders with
>> cheese and 2 large fries. I figured I would eat one burger and
>> fries at the table then take the rest to munch on as we continued
>> to travel.
>>
>> Oh man. What I didn't know is that my Dad was an assmunch and
>> refused to have food in his nifty new car. No munching burgers
>> along the way. He refused to leave the McDonalds until I ate all
>> that food. Crap! Since he was treating, I felt the need to eat it
>> all and not toss some.
>>
>> So we all sat there until I ate 3 quarter pounders and 2 large
>> fries. He was worried about food in his car? He should have been
>> more worried that I might throw-up all that crammed in food into
>> his super-duper new car.
>>

>I don't blame him. I would not want people eating in my new car either.

I wouldn't want McD burgers in my old car, those things schtink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> There is a McDonald's, a Burger King, a Wendy's, and an Arby's, all
> less than two miles from home. I can't say I've gone to any of them,
> but it's a rare occasion.

I like them all but not very often. When I do go though, I love
the food that I buy.

My local Arby's closed a few months ago and they were turning it
into a "Panda Express." It might even be open now as it's been
about a month since I looked. I am looking forward to trying
them. If they are the same as my old "Bejiing Express" (sp?),
that fast chinese food was fantastic.

If the Panda Express is that good, that's probably where I'll be
eating 3 times a week from now on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 14:51:21 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 22 Aug 2017 06:46:59a, Dave Smith told us...

>>> Here's a somewhat funny that happened to me about 25 years ago.
>>>
>>> My daughter and I rode with my parents one day to check on their
>>> new house that was being built. It was about 300 miles away.
>>> Well, about half way, Dad stopped at a McDonalds for bathroom and
>>> a quick lunch.
>>>
>>> Whenever I traveled, I would always buy several burgers (or BBQ
>>> sandwiches) so I could eat some on the way.
>>>
>>> So in this one McDonalds, I ordered 3 quarter pounders with
>>> cheese and 2 large fries. I figured I would eat one burger and
>>> fries at the table then take the rest to munch on as we continued
>>> to travel.
>>>
>>> Oh man. What I didn't know is that my Dad was an assmunch and
>>> refused to have food in his nifty new car. No munching burgers
>>> along the way. He refused to leave the McDonalds until I ate all
>>> that food. Crap! Since he was treating, I felt the need to eat it
>>> all and not toss some.
>>>
>>> So we all sat there until I ate 3 quarter pounders and 2 large
>>> fries. He was worried about food in his car? He should have been
>>> more worried that I might throw-up all that crammed in food into
>>> his super-duper new car.
>>>

>> I don't blame him. I would not want people eating in my new car
>> either.
>>

>We don't allow eating food or smoking in our car, even though we both
>smoke.

Smoking in the car drops the used car value tremendously.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Tue 22 Aug 2017 06:46:59a, Dave Smith told us...

>>> Here's a somewhat funny that happened to me about 25 years ago.
>>>
>>> My daughter and I rode with my parents one day to check on their
>>> new house that was being built. It was about 300 miles away.
>>> Well, about half way, Dad stopped at a McDonalds for bathroom and
>>> a quick lunch.
>>>
>>> Whenever I traveled, I would always buy several burgers (or BBQ
>>> sandwiches) so I could eat some on the way.
>>>
>>> So in this one McDonalds, I ordered 3 quarter pounders with
>>> cheese and 2 large fries. I figured I would eat one burger and
>>> fries at the table then take the rest to munch on as we continued
>>> to travel.
>>>
>>> Oh man. What I didn't know is that my Dad was an assmunch and
>>> refused to have food in his nifty new car. No munching burgers
>>> along the way. He refused to leave the McDonalds until I ate all
>>> that food. Crap! Since he was treating, I felt the need to eat it
>>> all and not toss some.
>>>
>>> So we all sat there until I ate 3 quarter pounders and 2 large
>>> fries. He was worried about food in his car? He should have been
>>> more worried that I might throw-up all that crammed in food into
>>> his super-duper new car.
>>>

>> I don't blame him. I would not want people eating in my new car
>> either.
>>

> We don't allow eating food or smoking in our car, even though we both
> smoke.

Same here when I smoked, no smoking in house either, always on the patio
which could get cold, but *thems the breaks.*

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2017 9:30 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Yes, probably in your beat up white van with a rope trailing behind. I
>>> think I saw you once on an episode of Criminal Minds at a rest stop. LOL
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> I can't recall the last time I heard anyone refer to a motel as a
>> "motor inn". Gee, did the big sign out front advertise COLOR TV and
>> AIR CONDITIONING?!
>>
>> Jill

> I haven't heard that for years either, must be those backroads he
> travels.
>
> Cheri

Maybe Sheldon took Route 66.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66

I remember moving across country in the back of a station wagon with my
brothers in the 1960's. We had sleeping bags and a few small toys in
the back with us. Mom and Dad took turns driving. We did stop at
motels along the way. Sometimes if my brothers and I begged hard enough
Dad would find one with a SWIMMING POOL.

We were always on a military schedule. Dad had to report for duty by a
specific date. There was apparently some leeway allowed for driving
across the US with a family.

One one funny memory I have is of Dad tying luggage on top of the rack
on the station wagon. We got really going on the highway and ooops! A
suitcase went flying off the top onto the road behind us. THUNK! Then
another. Uh oh.

This was back in the days of 2 lane highways. One could only hope the
suitcase didn't hit a car behind yours.

Then he'd say let's find someplace to eat, I'm hungry! We were pretty
much in the middle of nowhere. Maybe 40 miles down the road was a small
town with a diner.

I wish I could remember where we were when Dad spotted oxtail soup/stew
on a diner menu. That's the first time I tasted it. I think I was 8
years old. Oh, yum! I have loved oxtail soup ever since. Too bad
they're so damned expensive.

Jill

Fun Vintage Item jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 50 16-12-2015 08:24 PM
Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM