Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

wrote:

>>You seem to see things from a solely American perspective, but there
>>are more countries in the world. Have you ever traveled outside of the
>>US?

>Yes he was in the USN, that's why cshenk thinks the sun sets where he
>treads!

I piggy-backed but I was actually asking Cindy. I didn't see her
original post.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 18:47:43 -0300, wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 06:47:29 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:

>>>Very well might. No harm and spending a little extra that helps the
>>>economy. Bruce is acting like they are being deprived by not being in
>>>Europe and paying much more for a cup of coffee with friends.

>>Again, I'm not saying they're being deprived because they're in the
>>US. It's just a difference. You all love your McDonalds and it's a
>>social meeting place and great for children. Good! In Europe,
>>McDonalds is seen in a different light. Try to accept that.

>All same as Disney World - remember how when they first opened outside
>Paris they were horrified people thought they should serve red wine in
>the eateries? Soon discovered they needed to

Yes, there are big cultural differences. Not everybody (read cshenk)
seems to understand that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>penmart wrote:
>> S Viemeister wrote:

>>> When did you last have coffee in Europe?

>> Why, their water is better now... no water on the planet has gotten
>> better over time.

>Like you, many of them filter or use RO water in the 21st century.
>Bottled water is cheap and plentiful there too. I used it a lot while
>there.

No restaurant *anywhere* uses RO water, not even in the US, and
bottled water is no different from what comes from a gas station hose
bib. The major soft drink companys don't use RO water, Coke & Pepsi
use water from a hose bib... with all the flavoring and chems no one
can tell or care. Nowhere in Europe uses water other than what
normally comes from their tap. If you'd like to think Euro water is
special then you are a SUCKER and a FOOL! Just because you spent a
lot of US Dollars going on your trips to Italy that doesn't prove
everything was as perfect as you claim. No one goes on an expensive
trip and admits that they were ripped off. I've traveled throughout
Italy, I never met pizza there that was even close to the quality of
Pizza Hut, or any food better than what's served at Olive Garden.
Anyone who thinks that the US restaurants can't produce better than
Euro foods is a moron and an asshole.
My wife spent many years living in the UK (London) but traveled
extensively throughout Europe, she agrees that all major city
restaurant food in Europe is crap, the only decent food is found in
the out of the way places way in the boonies where Americans never go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>You seem to see things from a solely American perspective, but there
>>>are more countries in the world. Have you ever traveled outside of the
>>>US?

>>Yes he was in the USN, that's why cshenk thinks the sun sets where he
>>treads!

>I piggy-backed but I was actually asking Cindy. I didn't see her
>original post.

OK, I thought you meant Sheldon since it was his post you were
answering, sorry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Yes he was in the USN, that's why cshenk thinks the sun sets where he
>>>treads!

>>I piggy-backed but I was actually asking Cindy. I didn't see her
>>original post.

>OK, I thought you meant Sheldon since it was his post you were
>answering, sorry.

No, I messed things up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 15:29:09 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> nose in >> >> > the air and pretend you are better than others.

> there >> >> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find that
> whole concept >> >> offensive?

> air, >> >> > it's not likely to land in another's posterior oriface
> unless >> they >> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell
> over on your >> face. >>

> more >> > narrow option depending on where they live.
> >>
> >> I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced

> to >> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't
> buy fast >> food, but cook themselves.
> >
> > What part of this shifted in your head off elderly folks having a
> > coffee at McDonalds as an inexpensive way to have some fun? No one
> > is 'forcing them' at all. Quit making crap up.

> You said they "have a more narrow option" and that's how they end up
> at McDonalds. If that's true, I feel sorry for them. Everybody should
> have more options than going to McDonalds.

> >> Where on earth did I say that? You're reading all kinds of things

> in >> what I wrote, that I simply never said.
> >
> > Your quote: In Europe McDonalds is for children and for uneducated,
> > lower socio-economic people.
> >
> > YOU said that, not me.

> And where did I say "they matter less or are less worthy"? Those are
> your words.

> tables >> > are empty.
> >>
> >> They also don't harm no one if the place is full. Again, I never

> said >> or implied this.

> tables. >>
> >> Sure.
> >>
> >> Why am I defending myself about things I never said? That's so

> strange >> about you. I write something and you read something else
> altogether.
> >
> > Because you said them maybe?

> No. Not even maybe.

You keep cutting out the words you SAID then asking me when you said
them. endtrans

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 08:05:43 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 18:47:43 -0300, wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 06:47:29 +1000, Bruce >
>>wrote:

>>>Again, I'm not saying they're being deprived because they're in the
>>>US. It's just a difference. You all love your McDonalds and it's a
>>>social meeting place and great for children. Good! In Europe,
>>>McDonalds is seen in a different light. Try to accept that.

>>All same as Disney World - remember how when they first opened outside
>>Paris they were horrified people thought they should serve red wine in
>>the eateries? Soon discovered they needed to

>Yes, there are big cultural differences. Not everybody (read cshenk)
>seems to understand that.

As a student in Paris three of us shared our dive and the routine was
that heading back late afternoon one picked up ham, one picked up a
baguette and the third picked up a bottle of cheap red wine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "tert in seattle" wrote in message
>
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> McD is just a common meeting place for people coming from different
>>> directions. Today may be three guys, tomorrow five, the next day
>>> something else. I guess it is the morning version of the guys at the
>>> bar in the evening.

>> That's an apt comparison, Ed.
>>
>> Jill

> I used to belong to an informal group known as the Forum for the
> Appreciation of The Almighty Supreme Sid (FATASS) which met for brunch
> Saturdays at the Salonica Restaurant in Chicago's Hyde Park. It evolved
> from "Brunch with Drunks" at Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap when they started
> serving Sunday brunch but we decided that was hazardous to our health.
> You could say these gatherings were in the same spirit as Ed's McDonald's
> club but a younger demographic. IOW we were precocious old farts.
>
>==
>
> How do you mean 'were'?
>
> ;-)

ha! good one

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> simple >>>>> >> sentences. >> >

> nose in >>>>> >> > the air and pretend you are better than others.

> that there >>>>> >> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find
> that whole concept >>>>> >> offensive?

> the air, >>>>> >> > it's not likely to land in another's posterior
> oriface unless they >>>>> >> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras
> and fell over on your face. >>>>> >>

> more >>>>> >narrow option depending on where they live.

> forced to >>>>> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor,
> they won't buy fast >>>>> food, but cook themselves.

> > > You seem to see things from a solely American perspective, but
> > > there are more countries in the world. Have you ever traveled
> > > outside of the US?

> > Yes he was in the USN, that's why cshenk thinks the sun sets where
> > he treads!

> I piggy-backed but I was actually asking Cindy. I didn't see her
> original post.

I didnt say anything about Sheldon. lucretiaborgia likes to tag
anything I say somehow to approval of Sheldon regardless of anything I
say or have ever said. She mixes it up a lot of ways.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 18:47:43 -0300, wrote:
>
> Yes, there are big cultural differences. Not everybody (read cshenk)
> seems to understand that.

What makes you think I am mono-cultural? I usually get blamed for the
reverse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 17:19:06 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> nose in >> >> > the air and pretend you are better than others.

>> there >> >> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find that
>> whole concept >> >> offensive?

>> air, >> >> > it's not likely to land in another's posterior oriface
>> unless >> they >> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell
>> over on your >> face. >>

>> more >> > narrow option depending on where they live.

>> to >> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't
>> buy fast >> food, but cook themselves.
>> >
>> > What part of this shifted in your head off elderly folks having a
>> > coffee at McDonalds as an inexpensive way to have some fun? No one
>> > is 'forcing them' at all. Quit making crap up.

>> You said they "have a more narrow option" and that's how they end up
>> at McDonalds. If that's true, I feel sorry for them. Everybody should
>> have more options than going to McDonalds.

>> in >> what I wrote, that I simply never said.
>> >
>> > Your quote: In Europe McDonalds is for children and for uneducated,
>> > lower socio-economic people.
>> >
>> > YOU said that, not me.

>> And where did I say "they matter less or are less worthy"? Those are
>> your words.

>> tables >> > are empty.

>> said >> or implied this.

>> tables. >>

>> strange >> about you. I write something and you read something else
>> altogether.
>> >
>> > Because you said them maybe?

>> No. Not even maybe.

>You keep cutting out the words you SAID then asking me when you said
>them. endtrans

"Cutting out"? Look how much we're quoting above here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 17:19:06 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> simple >> >> >> sentences. >> >

> >> nose in >> >> > the air and pretend you are better than others.

> >> there >> >> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find that
> >> whole concept >> >> offensive?

> >> air, >> >> > it's not likely to land in another's posterior oriface
> >> unless >> they >> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell
> >> over on your >> face. >>

> >> more >> > narrow option depending on where they live.

> forced >> to >> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor,
> they won't >> buy fast >> food, but cook themselves.

> one >> > is 'forcing them' at all. Quit making crap up.
> >>
> >> You said they "have a more narrow option" and that's how they end

> up >> at McDonalds. If that's true, I feel sorry for them. Everybody
> should >> have more options than going to McDonalds.

> things >> in >> what I wrote, that I simply never said.

> uneducated, >> > lower socio-economic people.

> >> And where did I say "they matter less or are less worthy"? Those

> are >> your words.

> >> tables >> > are empty.

> >> said >> or implied this.

> >> tables. >>

> >> strange >> about you. I write something and you read something else
> >> altogether.

> >> No. Not even maybe.

> > You keep cutting out the words you SAID then asking me when you said
> > them. endtrans

> "Cutting out"? Look how much we're quoting above here.

Les try this yet again. YOUR WORDS: In Europe McDonalds is for
children and for uneducated, lower socio-economic people.

You fail EPICALLY on addressing that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> simple >>>>> >> sentences. >> >

>> nose in >>>>> >> > the air and pretend you are better than others.

>> that there >>>>> >> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find
>> that whole concept >>>>> >> offensive?

>> the air, >>>>> >> > it's not likely to land in another's posterior
>> oriface unless they >>>>> >> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras
>> and fell over on your face. >>>>> >>

>> more >>>>> >narrow option depending on where they live.

>> forced to >>>>> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor,
>> they won't buy fast >>>>> food, but cook themselves.

>> > Yes he was in the USN, that's why cshenk thinks the sun sets where
>> > he treads!

>> I piggy-backed but I was actually asking Cindy. I didn't see her
>> original post.

>I didnt say anything about Sheldon. lucretiaborgia likes to tag
>anything I say somehow to approval of Sheldon regardless of anything I
>say or have ever said. She mixes it up a lot of ways.

Sheesh, look who is saying that!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 22:59:28 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 21 Aug 2017 03:19:27p, told us...
>
>> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 08:05:43 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:

>>>Yes, there are big cultural differences. Not everybody (read
>>>cshenk) seems to understand that.

>> As a student in Paris three of us shared our dive and the routine
>> was that heading back late afternoon one picked up ham, one picked
>> up a baguette and the third picked up a bottle of cheap red wine.
>>

>Suddenly that sounds very good right now! I'm hungry!

I have often looked back to just how good it tasted, odd really
because normally one bought baguettes early a.m. not late afternoon
but we always felt well fed and tastily fed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> wrote: >> >>>>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 20:32:10 -0500, "cshenk"

> >> simple >>>>> >> sentences. >> >

> not >> >>>>> >> recognize >> > it.

> your >> nose in >>>>> >> > the air and pretend you are better than
> others. >> >>>>> >> >

> for >> >>>>> >> > uneducated, lower socio-economic people.

> >> that there >>>>> >> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find
> >> that whole concept >>>>> >> offensive?

> >> the air, >>>>> >> > it's not likely to land in another's posterior
> >> oriface unless they >>>>> >> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras
> >> and fell over on your face. >>>>> >>

> have a >> more >>>>> >narrow option depending on where they live.

> >> forced to >>>>> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor,
> >> they won't buy fast >>>>> food, but cook themselves.

> where >> > he treads!
> >>
> >> I piggy-backed but I was actually asking Cindy. I didn't see her
> >> original post.

> > I didnt say anything about Sheldon. lucretiaborgia likes to tag
> > anything I say somehow to approval of Sheldon regardless of
> > anything I say or have ever said. She mixes it up a lot of ways.

> Sheesh, look who is saying that!

See you tag me to Sheldon on a thread unrelated? Need more information?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-08-21 6:47 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> Different attitude towards alcohol. They are much more permissive on
>> where it can be sold (even highway rest stops) but the drunk driving
>> is lower. The USA is 0.8 but much of Europe is 0.5, Estonia and
>> Poland are 0.2, Hungary and Slovakia is 0.0.

> Umm, thats .08 USA and most states charge you at .05

In NY state it is 0.05. A neighbour of a former co-worker got nabbed
over there, was convicted and had his licence suspended for a while.
There is a reciprocal agreement between Ontario and some US states for
licence suspension for DUI. He was a good little trooper and served out
the US suspension, but then after NY reinstated his licence it got
caught up in the reciprocity and Ontario suspended him. The guy ended up
having to serve out that second suspension even though his BAC was under
Ontario's 0.08 the limit.
I do not condone driving while intoxicated but I object to the arbitrary
BAC limit. Our legislators bought into the expert evidence about the
point at which the average person begins to show signs of intoxication.
That on its own suggests it is somewhat arbitrary, and the fact that
it varies so much from one jurisdiction to another confirms it.

It is funny in the case of my brother and his wife. He is a big enough
guy and seasoned enough drinker that he would be fine to drive after
three beers, but his BAC would put him over the limit. His wife could
have only one drink and blow under the limit but she would be half loaded.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-08-21 6:47 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Different attitude towards alcohol. They are much more
> > > permissive on where it can be sold (even highway rest stops) but
> > > the drunk driving is lower. The USA is 0.8 but much of Europe is
> > > 0.5, Estonia and Poland are 0.2, Hungary and Slovakia is 0.0.

> > Umm, thats .08 USA and most states charge you at .05

> In NY state it is 0.05. A neighbour of a former co-worker got nabbed
> over there, was convicted and had his licence suspended for a while.
> There is a reciprocal agreement between Ontario and some US states
> for licence suspension for DUI. He was a good little trooper and
> served out the US suspension, but then after NY reinstated his
> licence it got caught up in the reciprocity and Ontario suspended
> him. The guy ended up having to serve out that second suspension even
> though his BAC was under Ontario's 0.08 the limit. I do not condone
> driving while intoxicated but I object to the arbitrary BAC limit.
> Our legislators bought into the expert evidence about the point at
> which the average person begins to show signs of intoxication. That
> on its own suggests it is somewhat arbitrary, and the fact that it
> varies so much from one jurisdiction to another confirms it.
>
> It is funny in the case of my brother and his wife. He is a big
> enough guy and seasoned enough drinker that he would be fine to drive
> after three beers, but his BAC would put him over the limit. His wife
> could have only one drink and blow under the limit but she would be
> half loaded.

Yes, it seems to work that way. Odd.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 17:54:27 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > You keep cutting out the words you SAID then asking me when you said
>> > them. endtrans

>> "Cutting out"? Look how much we're quoting above here.

>Les try this yet again. YOUR WORDS: In Europe McDonalds is for
>children and for uneducated, lower socio-economic people.
>
>You fail EPICALLY on addressing that.

Yes, but that's true, generally speaking. That doesn't mean Americans
in this newsgroup who go to McDonalds are lower socio-economic. It's
another culture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 7:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I do not condone driving while intoxicated but I object to the arbitrary
> BAC limit. Our legislators bought into the expert evidence about the
> point at which the average person begins to show signs of intoxication.
> Â*That on its own suggests it is somewhat arbitrary, and the fact that
> it varies so much from one jurisdiction to another confirms it.
>
> It is funny in the case of my brother and his wife. He is a big enough
> guy and seasoned enough drinker that he would be fine to drive after
> three beers, but his BAC would put him over the limit. His wife could
> have only one drink and blow under the limit but she would be half loaded.

I use a one drink limit when driving but I have no idea what it would
take me to reach.08. You can buy meters for less than $20 so a regular
drinker really has no excuse if they cared.

I often watch Live PD. No one driving ever has more than two beers.
Usually a couple of hours before getting stopped too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:38:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/21/2017 7:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I do not condone driving while intoxicated but I object to the arbitrary
>> BAC limit. Our legislators bought into the expert evidence about the
>> point at which the average person begins to show signs of intoxication.
>> *That on its own suggests it is somewhat arbitrary, and the fact that
>> it varies so much from one jurisdiction to another confirms it.
>>
>> It is funny in the case of my brother and his wife. He is a big enough
>> guy and seasoned enough drinker that he would be fine to drive after
>> three beers, but his BAC would put him over the limit. His wife could
>> have only one drink and blow under the limit but she would be half loaded.
>>

>I use a one drink limit when driving but I have no idea what it would
>take me to reach.08. You can buy meters for less than $20 so a regular
>drinker really has no excuse if they cared.
>
>I often watch Live PD. No one driving ever has more than two beers.
>Usually a couple of hours before getting stopped too.

I think 2 drinks is .05, so .08 would probably be 3. I don't take
risks with this. Imagine being a bit over and getting in an accident
that's not your fault. Your goose would still be cooked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 23:25:09 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 21 Aug 2017 04:08:44p, told us...
>
>> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 22:59:28 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon 21 Aug 2017 03:19:27p, told us...

>>>Suddenly that sounds very good right now! I'm hungry!

>> I have often looked back to just how good it tasted, odd really
>> because normally one bought baguettes early a.m. not late
>> afternoon but we always felt well fed and tastily fed.
>>

>When I was at university at Georgetown I shared a row house with
>three friends that I had known since highschool. We all liked to
>cook or at least assemble foods for dinner each night, each of us
>taking a turn, not unlike what you did. We had wonderful food shops
>and bakeries in Georgetown, so eating was good with not a lot of
>effort. On weekends we'd often shop and we'd all be in the kitchen
>putting together a really nice meal. We were all on budgets, but
>together we managed well.

Lol, I confess we picked up what was easiest and could be consumed
hastily while we leisurely dressed for our evenings out I could go
to sleep from exhaustion now just thinking about those days
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, penmart01
@aol.com says...

> S Viemeister wrote:
> >penmartwrote:
> >
> >> I've never had good coffee in Europe either, their H2O is schtinkier
> >> than US H2O.

> >When did you last have coffee in Europe?

> Why, their water is better now... no water on the planet has gotten
> better over time.

Water treatment and filtration has.

Janet UK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:38:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/21/2017 7:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I do not condone driving while intoxicated but I object to the arbitrary
>> BAC limit. Our legislators bought into the expert evidence about the
>> point at which the average person begins to show signs of intoxication.
>> *That on its own suggests it is somewhat arbitrary, and the fact that
>> it varies so much from one jurisdiction to another confirms it.
>>
>> It is funny in the case of my brother and his wife. He is a big enough
>> guy and seasoned enough drinker that he would be fine to drive after
>> three beers, but his BAC would put him over the limit. His wife could
>> have only one drink and blow under the limit but she would be half loaded.
>>

>I use a one drink limit when driving but I have no idea what it would
>take me to reach.08. You can buy meters for less than $20 so a regular
>drinker really has no excuse if they cared.
>
>I often watch Live PD. No one driving ever has more than two beers.
>Usually a couple of hours before getting stopped too.

An ex cop friend tells me it varies greatly by male/female, whether
you're also eating etc. He pointed out to me there has never been a
suggested list such as one wine, with meal, okay for 5' 2" female.
Everyone it seems goes into the pot to make the average, so more than
one drink even with food is risky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 5:52:18 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> You are at best able to seem to barely understand USA and some small
> portion of coffee shops in Europe.
>
> How many years have you lived in each culture?

I've been following this thread pretty much regularly. What I
don't understand is Bruce is _constantly_ telling us about
where and when people in Europe drink coffee. He tells us they
wouldn't dare set foot in a McDonald's much less that people
even meet up for a cup of coffee. Unless I'm sadly mistaken
doesn't he live in Australia?

If he, indeed, still lives in Australia why is he lecturing us
on what Europeans do? Shouldn't he be telling us what all his
mates drink, where, and when?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 6:38:55 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I often watch Live PD. No one driving ever has more than two beers.
> Usually a couple of hours before getting stopped too.

If you also watch 'Cops' two beers is always the standard answer
as well. No matter that they can't stand on their own two feet
without support; it's still only two beers they've consumed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 7:42 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:38:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 8/21/2017 7:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I do not condone driving while intoxicated but I object to the arbitrary
>>> BAC limit. Our legislators bought into the expert evidence about the
>>> point at which the average person begins to show signs of intoxication.
>>> Â*That on its own suggests it is somewhat arbitrary, and the fact that
>>> it varies so much from one jurisdiction to another confirms it.
>>>
>>> It is funny in the case of my brother and his wife. He is a big enough
>>> guy and seasoned enough drinker that he would be fine to drive after
>>> three beers, but his BAC would put him over the limit. His wife could
>>> have only one drink and blow under the limit but she would be half loaded.
>>>

>> I use a one drink limit when driving but I have no idea what it would
>> take me to reach.08. You can buy meters for less than $20 so a regular
>> drinker really has no excuse if they cared.
>>
>> I often watch Live PD. No one driving ever has more than two beers.
>> Usually a couple of hours before getting stopped too.

> I think 2 drinks is .05, so .08 would probably be 3. I don't take
> risks with this. Imagine being a bit over and getting in an accident
> that's not your fault. Your goose would still be cooked.

Some of the people are caught because of sloppy driving problems, but
many get caught when the fail to use a seatbelt, taillight out, or other
minor violation. Then the cops can see the driver may be off so they
check further.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 17:21:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 5:52:18 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> You are at best able to seem to barely understand USA and some small
>> portion of coffee shops in Europe.
>>
>> How many years have you lived in each culture?
>>

>I've been following this thread pretty much regularly. What I
>don't understand is Bruce is _constantly_ telling us about
>where and when people in Europe drink coffee.

No, I'm only saying that they don't drink coffee at McDonalds.

>He tells us they wouldn't dare set foot in a McDonald's

I didn't say that either. You're exaggerating a lot.

> much less that people
>even meet up for a cup of coffee.

And I didn't say that either. What's wrong with you people? I don't
think you're all stupid and I know you can read. What goes wrong in
your brains that you keep reading things I never wrote?

>Unless I'm sadly mistaken doesn't he live in Australia?

I do, but I lived most of my life in the Netherlands.

>If he, indeed, still lives in Australia why is he lecturing us
>on what Europeans do?

I'm not lecturing you. I said McDonalds in Europe is mainly visited by
a specific subgroup of people that we all don't belong to. That's
McDonalds EU, not McDonalds US.

> Shouldn't he be telling us what all his mates drink, where, and when?

Mainly at someone's home or in a pub.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 8:03 PM, Bruce wrote:

> If I'd meet an old friend, it would always be in the evening and in a
> pub, or at either's home.

There are friends and there are friends. Usually I have a good friend
to the house, perhaps for lunch or dinner, maybe spend the day together.
Then you have the friends from work and it is just a few people
getting together for a coffee for an hour or so.

I don't recall the last time I went to a pub to meet anyone but it has
been many years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 20:45:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/21/2017 8:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>> If I'd meet an old friend, it would always be in the evening and in a
>> pub, or at either's home.
>>

>There are friends and there are friends. Usually I have a good friend
>to the house, perhaps for lunch or dinner, maybe spend the day together.
> Then you have the friends from work and it is just a few people
>getting together for a coffee for an hour or so.
>
>I don't recall the last time I went to a pub to meet anyone but it has
>been many years.

Yes, work people could be different. I don't have any work friends or
colleagues because I work from home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
lid says...

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:38:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >On 8/21/2017 7:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> >> I do not condone driving while intoxicated but I object to the arbitrary
> >> BAC limit. Our legislators bought into the expert evidence about the
> >> point at which the average person begins to show signs of intoxication.
> >> *That on its own suggests it is somewhat arbitrary, and the fact that
> >> it varies so much from one jurisdiction to another confirms it.
> >>
> >> It is funny in the case of my brother and his wife. He is a big enough
> >> guy and seasoned enough drinker that he would be fine to drive after
> >> three beers, but his BAC would put him over the limit. His wife could
> >> have only one drink and blow under the limit but she would be half loaded.
> >>

> >I use a one drink limit when driving but I have no idea what it would
> >take me to reach.08. You can buy meters for less than $20 so a regular
> >drinker really has no excuse if they cared.
> >
> >I often watch Live PD. No one driving ever has more than two beers.
> >Usually a couple of hours before getting stopped too.

> I think 2 drinks is .05, so .08 would probably be 3.

You're mistaken.

Scotland reduced the BAC to .05. (Lower than England and Wales).
One pint of beer or one glass of wine can be enough to exceed the
limit as some have found to their cost.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news...fter-drinking-
one-pint/

Janet UK

Fun Vintage Item jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 50 16-12-2015 08:24 PM
Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM