Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 2:11:23 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> > I've driven coast to coast in the US and in Canada many times, mostly
> > meals were from a supermarket, reasonably priced, always clean, and a
> > fantastic selection of viands. I traveled with a small ice chest and
> > with a small charcoal grill... I could eat anything served at the
> > finast reataurants for 1/10 the cost, and cleaner by far. Most motor
> > inns have a picnic area, many supply charcoal grills.

> Yes, probably in your beat up white van with a rope trailing behind. I think
> I saw you once on an episode of Criminal Minds at a rest stop. LOL
>
> Cheri

The "Ice Chest" killer?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 17:10:58 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .

>> I've driven coast to coast in the US and in Canada many times, mostly
>> meals were from a supermarket, reasonably priced, always clean, and a
>> fantastic selection of viands. I traveled with a small ice chest and
>> with a small charcoal grill... I could eat anything served at the
>> finast reataurants for 1/10 the cost, and cleaner by far. Most motor
>> inns have a picnic area, many supply charcoal grills.

>Yes, probably in your beat up white van with a rope trailing behind. I think
>I saw you once on an episode of Criminal Minds at a rest stop. LOL
>
>Cheri

Nope! This was the vehicle:
https://postimg.org/image/rm9z8ojb1/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 11:58:44 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> mates >> there. There are lots of alternatives that are not snooty

> or >> >> expensive.

> >> I'm always surprised at how you can misunderstand simple sentences.

> > I'm always suprised at how you can insult people and not recognize
> > it.

> Like when you called me snooty?

Lets go back to basic definition. Snooty. To stick your nose in the
air and pretend you are better than others.

Your comment: In Europe McDonalds is for children and for uneducated,
lower socio-economic people.

You are the dictionary definition of snooty.

Your only saving grace is you have your nose so high in the air, it's
not likely to land in another's posterior oriface unless they were
walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell over on your face.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 15:56:40 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > I'm always suprised at how you can insult people and not recognize
>> > it.

>> Like when you called me snooty?

>Lets go back to basic definition. Snooty. To stick your nose in the
>air and pretend you are better than others.
>
>Your comment: In Europe McDonalds is for children and for uneducated,
>lower socio-economic people.
>
>You are the dictionary definition of snooty.

I was just stating what I think is a fact. Do you accept that there
are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find that whole concept
offensive?

>Your only saving grace is you have your nose so high in the air, it's
>not likely to land in another's posterior oriface unless they were
>walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell over on your face.

Very colourful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 15:56:40 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> sentences. >> >

> recognize >> > it.
> >>
> >> Like when you called me snooty?

> > Lets go back to basic definition. Snooty. To stick your nose in
> > the air and pretend you are better than others.
> >
> > Your comment: In Europe McDonalds is for children and for
> > uneducated, lower socio-economic people.
> >
> > You are the dictionary definition of snooty.

> I was just stating what I think is a fact. Do you accept that there
> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find that whole concept
> offensive?
>
> > Your only saving grace is you have your nose so high in the air,
> > it's not likely to land in another's posterior oriface unless they
> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell over on your face.

> Very colourful.

There are people who make less money and because of it, have a more
narrow option depending on where they live.

It doesnt mean they matter less or are less worthy. If they enjoy some
company at McDees at breakfast, they harm no one when 1/2 the tables
are empty. In fact, they are far less irritating than the person who
stakes out at StarBucks for 2-3 hours which never has enough tables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 20:32:10 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> sentences. >> >

>> recognize >> > it.

>> > Lets go back to basic definition. Snooty. To stick your nose in
>> > the air and pretend you are better than others.
>> >
>> > Your comment: In Europe McDonalds is for children and for
>> > uneducated, lower socio-economic people.
>> >
>> > You are the dictionary definition of snooty.

>> I was just stating what I think is a fact. Do you accept that there
>> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find that whole concept
>> offensive?
>>
>> > Your only saving grace is you have your nose so high in the air,
>> > it's not likely to land in another's posterior oriface unless they
>> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell over on your face.

>> Very colourful.

>There are people who make less money and because of it, have a more
>narrow option depending on where they live.

I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced to
go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't buy fast
food, but cook themselves.

>It doesnt mean they matter less or are less worthy.

Where on earth did I say that? You're reading all kinds of things in
what I wrote, that I simply never said.

>If they enjoy some
>company at McDees at breakfast, they harm no one when 1/2 the tables
>are empty.

They also don't harm no one if the place is full. Again, I never said
or implied this.

>In fact, they are far less irritating than the person who
>stakes out at StarBucks for 2-3 hours which never has enough tables.

Sure.

Why am I defending myself about things I never said? That's so strange
about you. I write something and you read something else altogether.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:54:37 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 20:32:10 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> sentences. >> >
> >> recognize >> > it.

> >> I was just stating what I think is a fact. Do you accept that there
> >> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find that whole concept
> >> offensive?

> >> Very colourful.

> >There are people who make less money and because of it, have a more
> >narrow option depending on where they live.

> I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced to
> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't buy fast
> food, but cook themselves.

Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself. More calories per
dollar. True, you can't use government nutritional assistance for
fast food, but there are a hell of a lot of working poor who have
to make do with what they earn. Many of them work two jobs, and
don't have time to cook.

A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
McDonald's as his one indulgence.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:54:37 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>> >There are people who make less money and because of it, have a more
>> >narrow option depending on where they live.

>> I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced to
>> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't buy fast
>> food, but cook themselves.

>Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself. More calories per
>dollar. True, you can't use government nutritional assistance for
>fast food, but there are a hell of a lot of working poor who have
>to make do with what they earn. Many of them work two jobs, and
>don't have time to cook.
>
>A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
>McDonald's as his one indulgence.

The US and Europe are two different cultures. Clearly, McDonalds plays
a much larger role in US culture than it does in European culture.
That makes sense because McDonalds is American. A European on a small,
fixed income will know a nicer place to have that indulgence coffee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 20:29:43 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>> I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced to
>>> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't buy fast
>>> food, but cook themselves.

>>Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself. More calories per
>>dollar. True, you can't use government nutritional assistance for
>>fast food, but there are a hell of a lot of working poor who have
>>to make do with what they earn. Many of them work two jobs, and
>>don't have time to cook.
>>
>>A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
>>McDonald's as his one indulgence.

>The US and Europe are two different cultures. Clearly, McDonalds plays
>a much larger role in US culture than it does in European culture.
>That makes sense because McDonalds is American. A European on a small,
>fixed income will know a nicer place to have that indulgence coffee

Actually, they'll have it at home or at a friend's or neighbour's
place. Even cheaper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 6:29:49 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced to
> >> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't buy fast
> >> food, but cook themselves.

> >Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself. More calories per
> >dollar. True, you can't use government nutritional assistance for
> >fast food, but there are a hell of a lot of working poor who have
> >to make do with what they earn. Many of them work two jobs, and
> >don't have time to cook.
> >
> >A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
> >McDonald's as his one indulgence.

> The US and Europe are two different cultures. Clearly, McDonalds plays
> a much larger role in US culture than it does in European culture.
> That makes sense because McDonalds is American. A European on a small,
> fixed income will know a nicer place to have that indulgence coffee

As we have already discussed ad nauseam, there might not be a nicer
place available to that person on a fixed income. There are plenty
of dried-up little towns where the only restaurants are big chains
out by the interstate highway.

Not even dried up little town. Within walking distance of my house,
there is a restaurant where I doubt they'd appreciate someone sitting
over a cup of coffee for two hours. And there's a McDonald's.
(Plus four gas stations--since it's right at a exit from a major
highway--and a liquor store.) If I get in the car, I can go farther
(past another McDonald's) and pay three or four times as much for
coffee at Starbuck's. Downtown, I'd have to pay for parking and
still pay Starbuck's prices.

As for having coffee at home, we're talking about a small indulgence,
getting out of the house, and meeting with friends. If my husband
said "I'm having the guys over for coffee every Friday," it would get
real old, real fast.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:55:17 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 6:29:49 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself. More calories per
>> >dollar. True, you can't use government nutritional assistance for
>> >fast food, but there are a hell of a lot of working poor who have
>> >to make do with what they earn. Many of them work two jobs, and
>> >don't have time to cook.
>> >
>> >A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
>> >McDonald's as his one indulgence.

>> The US and Europe are two different cultures. Clearly, McDonalds plays
>> a much larger role in US culture than it does in European culture.
>> That makes sense because McDonalds is American. A European on a small,
>> fixed income will know a nicer place to have that indulgence coffee

>As we have already discussed ad nauseam, there might not be a nicer
>place available to that person on a fixed income. There are plenty
>of dried-up little towns where the only restaurants are big chains
>out by the interstate highway.

You paint a very sad picture.

>Not even dried up little town. Within walking distance of my house,
>there is a restaurant where I doubt they'd appreciate someone sitting
>over a cup of coffee for two hours. And there's a McDonald's.
>(Plus four gas stations--since it's right at a exit from a major
>highway--and a liquor store.) If I get in the car, I can go farther
>(past another McDonald's) and pay three or four times as much for
>coffee at Starbuck's. Downtown, I'd have to pay for parking and
>still pay Starbuck's prices.
>
>As for having coffee at home, we're talking about a small indulgence,
>getting out of the house, and meeting with friends. If my husband
>said "I'm having the guys over for coffee every Friday," it would get
>real old, real fast.

Cultural differences. In my experience, you'd have the coffee at a
friend's/neighbour's place more likely. Certainly not at a McDonalds.
It would also not necessarily be segregated between men and women.
This may all be different in the US. I can live with that. I'm sure
you can too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 6:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> As for having coffee at home, we're talking about a small indulgence,
> getting out of the house, and meeting with friends. If my husband
> said "I'm having the guys over for coffee every Friday," it would get
> real old, real fast.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Getting out of the house and interacting with others is important.
Years ago I had a part time job and went to the homes of some elderly.
I'd have 15 minutes work to check out equipment. I quickly learned, as
soon as I got in the house to start a conversation with the elderly and
let them talk.

One guy in particular I'd see every quarter. I'd allot an hour for my
15 minutes work. He always made coffee and he'd have some interesting
stories. His wife of many years was bedridden so he could not go out easily
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 7:02 AM, Bruce wrote:

> Cultural differences. In my experience, you'd have the coffee at a
> friend's/neighbour's place more likely. Certainly not at a McDonalds.
> It would also not necessarily be segregated between men and women.
> This may all be different in the US. I can live with that. I'm sure
> you can too.

McD is just a common meeting place for people coming from different
directions. Today may be three guys, tomorrow five, the next day
something else. I guess it is the morning version of the guys at the
bar in the evening.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 9:14 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Getting out of the house and interacting with others is important. Years
> ago I had a part time job and went to the homes of some elderly. I'd
> have 15 minutes work to check out equipment. I quickly learned, as soon
> as I got in the house to start a conversation with the elderly and let
> them talk.
>
> One guy in particular I'd see every quarter. I'd allot an hour for my
> 15 minutes work. He always made coffee and he'd have some interesting
> stories. His wife of many years was bedridden so he could not go out
> easily

I wish I had been older and able to spend more time with my maternal
grandparents before they died. I was 16 when they died and hadn't seen
them since I was about 11. We rarely got to visit them (or they, us)
because the military kept moving us all over the place.

As they say, hindsight is 20/20. Still, if I had been older I'd have
known to ask them about their recollections. I'll bet they had some
interesting stories! They were born in the late 1800's so just imagine
the sweeping changes they saw in their lifetime. The industrial age was
really just getting cranked up by the time they arrived in the US. I
can't quite fathom going from the days of horse & buggy to seeing men
walk on the moon *on television*! They saw a heck of a lot of rapid
change during their lifetime.

Thank you for taking the extra time to spend with that elder gent, Ed.
I'm sure he appreciated it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 9:27 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/21/2017 7:02 AM, Bruce wrote:
>
>> Cultural differences. In my experience, you'd have the coffee at a
>> friend's/neighbour's place more likely. Certainly not at a McDonalds.
>> It would also not necessarily be segregated between men and women.
>> This may all be different in the US. I can live with that. I'm sure
>> you can too.
>>

> McD is just a common meeting place for people coming from different
> directions. Today may be three guys, tomorrow five, the next day
> something else. I guess it is the morning version of the guys at the
> bar in the evening.

That's an apt comparison, Ed.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:54:37 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>> >There are people who make less money and because of it, have a more
>> >narrow option depending on where they live.

>> I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced to
>> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't buy fast
>> food, but cook themselves.

>Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself.

Nonsense... only for those who can't cook.

>A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
>McDonald's as his one indulgence.

Weak pish vasser inna paper cup is an indulgence?
For the same price a can of beer is a far better indulgence.
Even at today's prices I can still feed myself well on about $35/week.
IE. last night's dinner for TWO consisted of a slab of top round at
$5, with plenty for tonight's dinner... plus all the corn on the cob
and yellow crooknecks we wanted, both from the garden.
I don't call fast food an indulgence, I call fast food a *wasteful*
addiction for Lazy Ignoranuses.
The last thing I'd want first thing in the morning is having to drive
to a fast food pigsty with all it's din and schtink for a way over
priced paper cup.
I've not once in all my years had coffee anywhere that came close to
what I prepare myself as everyday coffee... I very rarely order coffee
when I'm out and about, always very disappointing... for one they
don't even give themselves a chance at brewing a good cup, not with
their crappy water... probably why most can't tell the difference
because they brew coffee at home with the same crappy water... the
vast majority of self proclaimed coffee mavens have never tasted a
cood cup, because they focus on everything but the most important
element, the H2O.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>> I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced to
>>> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't buy fast
>>> food, but cook themselves.

>>Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself. More calories per
>>dollar. True, you can't use government nutritional assistance for
>>fast food, but there are a hell of a lot of working poor who have
>>to make do with what they earn. Many of them work two jobs, and
>>don't have time to cook.
>>
>>A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
>>McDonald's as his one indulgence.

>The US and Europe are two different cultures. Clearly, McDonalds plays
>a much larger role in US culture than it does in European culture.
>That makes sense because McDonalds is American. A European on a small,
>fixed income will know a nicer place to have that indulgence coffee

I've never had good coffee in Europe either, their H2O is schtinkier
than US H2O. European coffee houses have better ambiance so patrons
imagine they have great coffee, but it's all a facade... exactly the
same facade that makes fifty year olds imagine the brewski is better
at a topless bar.

Yoose don't need expensive beans, roasters, grinders or brewers to
experience great coffee... any $19 ADC will make fantastic coffee if
you use fantastic H2O.
That's my H2O brewer, I recently added a second tank so I'd have
enough for my humidifier that I use in the winter, distilled water is
too expensive, RO water costs a nickle a gallon:
https://postimg.org/image/tme0g6dh9/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>penmart wrote:
>>
>> I don't call fast food an indulgence, I call fast food a *wasteful*
>> addiction for Lazy Ignoranuses.

>Ok pal, I disagree. I cook at home most time and I make really
>nice hamburgers at home.

It's not posible to make really nice burgers with pre ground mystery
meat.

>Occasionally though I prefer the McD or
>Burger King burgers. They are not better or worse, they are just
>unique and different. Same as liking both a canned tuna sandwich but
>also a grilled fresh tuna steak. Both are good and should not be compared.

That's a bad analogy... like comparing fresh fish to smoked/pickled
fish... all equally good/bad depending on preference. Most times I
prefer canned tuna to fresh, especially the canned packed in olive
oil. However there is no way I would ever prefer a fast food burger
to any food... before a fast food burger I'd much rather a can of
Spam.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:
>penmartwrote:
>
>> I've never had good coffee in Europe either, their H2O is schtinkier
>> than US H2O.

>When did you last have coffee in Europe?

Why, their water is better now... no water on the planet has gotten
better over time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/21/2017 9:27 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 8/21/2017 7:02 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> Cultural differences. In my experience, you'd have the coffee at a
>>> friend's/neighbour's place more likely. Certainly not at a McDonalds.
>>> It would also not necessarily be segregated between men and women.
>>> This may all be different in the US. I can live with that. I'm sure
>>> you can too.
>>>

>> McD is just a common meeting place for people coming from different
>> directions. Today may be three guys, tomorrow five, the next day
>> something else. I guess it is the morning version of the guys at the
>> bar in the evening.

> That's an apt comparison, Ed.
>
> Jill

I used to belong to an informal group known as the Forum for the
Appreciation of The Almighty Supreme Sid (FATASS) which met for brunch
Saturdays at the Salonica Restaurant in Chicago's Hyde Park. It evolved
from "Brunch with Drunks" at Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap when they started
serving Sunday brunch but we decided that was hazardous to our health.
You could say these gatherings were in the same spirit as Ed's McDonald's
club but a younger demographic. IOW we were precocious old farts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 10:57:28 -0400, wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 20:29:43 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>>Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself. More calories per
>>>dollar. True, you can't use government nutritional assistance for
>>>fast food, but there are a hell of a lot of working poor who have
>>>to make do with what they earn. Many of them work two jobs, and
>>>don't have time to cook.
>>>
>>>A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
>>>McDonald's as his one indulgence.

>>The US and Europe are two different cultures. Clearly, McDonalds plays
>>a much larger role in US culture than it does in European culture.
>>That makes sense because McDonalds is American. A European on a small,
>>fixed income will know a nicer place to have that indulgence coffee

>I've never had good coffee in Europe either, their H2O is schtinkier
>than US H2O. European coffee houses have better ambiance so patrons
>imagine they have great coffee, but it's all a facade... exactly the
>same facade that makes fifty year olds imagine the brewski is better
>at a topless bar.

Making blanket statements about "the water in Europe" is probably as
useless as making blanket statements about "the water in the US".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 10:33:51 -0400, wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>> I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced to
>>> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't buy fast
>>> food, but cook themselves.

>>Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself.

You seem to see things from a solely American perspective, but there
are more countries in the world. Have you ever traveled outside of the
US?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 20:32:10 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> sentences. >> >
> >> recognize >> > it.

> >> I was just stating what I think is a fact. Do you accept that there
> >> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find that whole concept
> >> offensive?

> they >> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell over on your
> face. >>
> >> Very colourful.

> > There are people who make less money and because of it, have a more
> > narrow option depending on where they live.

> I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced to
> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't buy fast
> food, but cook themselves.

What part of this shifted in your head off elderly folks having a
coffee at McDonalds as an inexpensive way to have some fun? No one is
'forcing them' at all. Quit making crap up.

> > It doesnt mean they matter less or are less worthy.

> Where on earth did I say that? You're reading all kinds of things in
> what I wrote, that I simply never said.

Your quote: In Europe McDonalds is for children and for uneducated,
lower socio-economic people.

YOU said that, not me.

> > If they enjoy some
> > company at McDees at breakfast, they harm no one when 1/2 the tables
> > are empty.

> They also don't harm no one if the place is full. Again, I never said
> or implied this.
>
> > In fact, they are far less irritating than the person who
> > stakes out at StarBucks for 2-3 hours which never has enough tables.

> Sure.
>
> Why am I defending myself about things I never said? That's so strange
> about you. I write something and you read something else altogether.

Because you said them maybe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:54:37 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 20:32:10 -0500, "cshenk" >
> > wrote:

> > in >> > the air and pretend you are better than others.

> > there >> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find that whole
> > concept >> offensive?

> > air, >> > it's not likely to land in another's posterior oriface
> > unless they >> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell over
> > on your face. >>
> > >
> > > There are people who make less money and because of it, have a
> > > more narrow option depending on where they live.

> > I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced
> > to go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't
> > buy fast food, but cook themselves.

> Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself. More calories per
> dollar. True, you can't use government nutritional assistance for
> fast food, but there are a hell of a lot of working poor who have
> to make do with what they earn. Many of them work two jobs, and
> don't have time to cook.
>
> A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
> McDonald's as his one indulgence.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Very well might. No harm and spending a little extra that helps the
economy. Bruce is acting like they are being deprived by not being in
Europe and paying much more for a cup of coffee with friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/21/2017 9:27 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 8/21/2017 7:02 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> Cultural differences. In my experience, you'd have the coffee at a
>>> friend's/neighbour's place more likely. Certainly not at a McDonalds.
>>> It would also not necessarily be segregated between men and women.
>>> This may all be different in the US. I can live with that. I'm sure
>>> you can too.
>>>

>> McD is just a common meeting place for people coming from different
>> directions. Today may be three guys, tomorrow five, the next day
>> something else. I guess it is the morning version of the guys at the
>> bar in the evening.

> That's an apt comparison, Ed.
>
> Jill

I used to belong to an informal group known as the Forum for the
Appreciation of The Almighty Supreme Sid (FATASS) which met for brunch
Saturdays at the Salonica Restaurant in Chicago's Hyde Park. It evolved
from "Brunch with Drunks" at Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap when they started
serving Sunday brunch but we decided that was hazardous to our health.
You could say these gatherings were in the same spirit as Ed's McDonald's
club but a younger demographic. IOW we were precocious old farts.

==

How do you mean 'were'?

;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 15:29:09 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> they >> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell over on your
>> face. >>
>> >
>> > There are people who make less money and because of it, have a more
>> > narrow option depending on where they live.

>> I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced to
>> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't buy fast
>> food, but cook themselves.

>What part of this shifted in your head off elderly folks having a
>coffee at McDonalds as an inexpensive way to have some fun? No one is
>'forcing them' at all. Quit making crap up.

You said they "have a more narrow option" and that's how they end up
at McDonalds. If that's true, I feel sorry for them. Everybody should
have more options than going to McDonalds.

>> > It doesnt mean they matter less or are less worthy.

>> Where on earth did I say that? You're reading all kinds of things in
>> what I wrote, that I simply never said.

>Your quote: In Europe McDonalds is for children and for uneducated,
>lower socio-economic people.
>
>YOU said that, not me.

And where did I say "they matter less or are less worthy"? Those are
your words.

>> > If they enjoy some
>> > company at McDees at breakfast, they harm no one when 1/2 the tables
>> > are empty.

>> They also don't harm no one if the place is full. Again, I never said
>> or implied this.
>>
>> > In fact, they are far less irritating than the person who
>> > stakes out at StarBucks for 2-3 hours which never has enough tables.

>> Sure.
>>
>> Why am I defending myself about things I never said? That's so strange
>> about you. I write something and you read something else altogether.

>Because you said them maybe?

No. Not even maybe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 6:29:49 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > nose in >> >> > the air and pretend you are better than others.

> > there >> >> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find that
> > whole concept >> >> offensive?

> > air, >> >> > it's not likely to land in another's posterior oriface
> > unless they >> >> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell
> > over on your face. >> >>

> > more >> >narrow option depending on where they live.

> > forced to >> go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor,
> > they won't buy fast >> food, but cook themselves.
> > >
> > > Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself. More calories
> > > per dollar. True, you can't use government nutritional
> > > assistance for fast food, but there are a hell of a lot of
> > > working poor who have to make do with what they earn. Many of
> > > them work two jobs, and don't have time to cook.
> > >
> > > A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
> > > McDonald's as his one indulgence.

> > The US and Europe are two different cultures. Clearly, McDonalds
> > plays a much larger role in US culture than it does in European
> > culture. That makes sense because McDonalds is American. A
> > European on a small, fixed income will know a nicer place to have
> > that indulgence coffee

> As we have already discussed ad nauseam, there might not be a nicer
> place available to that person on a fixed income. There are plenty
> of dried-up little towns where the only restaurants are big chains
> out by the interstate highway.
>
> Not even dried up little town. Within walking distance of my house,
> there is a restaurant where I doubt they'd appreciate someone sitting
> over a cup of coffee for two hours. And there's a McDonald's.
> (Plus four gas stations--since it's right at a exit from a major
> highway--and a liquor store.) If I get in the car, I can go farther
> (past another McDonald's) and pay three or four times as much for
> coffee at Starbuck's. Downtown, I'd have to pay for parking and
> still pay Starbuck's prices.
>
> As for having coffee at home, we're talking about a small indulgence,
> getting out of the house, and meeting with friends. If my husband
> said "I'm having the guys over for coffee every Friday," it would get
> real old, real fast.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Exactly Cindy. It's the mere act of getting OUT for a bit.

I suspect Bruce may be too young to grasp the concepts of this thread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 15:37:17 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:54:37 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>> > in >> > the air and pretend you are better than others.

>> > there >> are lower socio-economic people? Or do you find that whole
>> > concept >> offensive?

>> > air, >> > it's not likely to land in another's posterior oriface
>> > unless they >> > were walking on stilts at Mardi Gras and fell over
>> > on your face. >>

>> > I don't know about the US, but in Europe poor people aren't forced
>> > to go to McDonalds. Actually, if they're really poor, they won't
>> > buy fast food, but cook themselves.

>> Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself. More calories per
>> dollar. True, you can't use government nutritional assistance for
>> fast food, but there are a hell of a lot of working poor who have
>> to make do with what they earn. Many of them work two jobs, and
>> don't have time to cook.
>>
>> A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
>> McDonald's as his one indulgence.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>Very well might. No harm and spending a little extra that helps the
>economy. Bruce is acting like they are being deprived by not being in
>Europe and paying much more for a cup of coffee with friends.

Again, I'm not saying they're being deprived because they're in the
US. It's just a difference. You all love your McDonalds and it's a
social meeting place and great for children. Good! In Europe,
McDonalds is seen in a different light. Try to accept that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 15:44:00 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 6:29:49 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> > The US and Europe are two different cultures. Clearly, McDonalds
>> > plays a much larger role in US culture than it does in European
>> > culture. That makes sense because McDonalds is American. A
>> > European on a small, fixed income will know a nicer place to have
>> > that indulgence coffee

>> As we have already discussed ad nauseam, there might not be a nicer
>> place available to that person on a fixed income. There are plenty
>> of dried-up little towns where the only restaurants are big chains
>> out by the interstate highway.
>>
>> Not even dried up little town. Within walking distance of my house,
>> there is a restaurant where I doubt they'd appreciate someone sitting
>> over a cup of coffee for two hours. And there's a McDonald's.
>> (Plus four gas stations--since it's right at a exit from a major
>> highway--and a liquor store.) If I get in the car, I can go farther
>> (past another McDonald's) and pay three or four times as much for
>> coffee at Starbuck's. Downtown, I'd have to pay for parking and
>> still pay Starbuck's prices.
>>
>> As for having coffee at home, we're talking about a small indulgence,
>> getting out of the house, and meeting with friends. If my husband
>> said "I'm having the guys over for coffee every Friday," it would get
>> real old, real fast.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>Exactly Cindy. It's the mere act of getting OUT for a bit.
>
>I suspect Bruce may be too young to grasp the concepts of this thread.

God, you're silly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2017 2:47 PM, Bruce wrote:
> In Europe,
> McDonalds is seen in a different light. Try to accept that.

NO!

And **** you too, you Auztarded simp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 05:21:20 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 10:33:51 -0400, wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 03:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>>Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself.

>You seem to see things from a solely American perspective, but there
>are more countries in the world. Have you ever traveled outside of the
>US?

Yes he was in the USN, that's why cshenk thinks the sun sets where he
treads!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 06:47:29 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 15:37:17 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Fast food can be cheaper than cooking for oneself. More calories per
>>> dollar. True, you can't use government nutritional assistance for
>>> fast food, but there are a hell of a lot of working poor who have
>>> to make do with what they earn. Many of them work two jobs, and
>>> don't have time to cook.
>>>
>>> A retired person on a small, fixed income might see his coffee at
>>> McDonald's as his one indulgence.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>>Very well might. No harm and spending a little extra that helps the
>>economy. Bruce is acting like they are being deprived by not being in
>>Europe and paying much more for a cup of coffee with friends.

>Again, I'm not saying they're being deprived because they're in the
>US. It's just a difference. You all love your McDonalds and it's a
>social meeting place and great for children. Good! In Europe,
>McDonalds is seen in a different light. Try to accept that.

All same as Disney World - remember how when they first opened outside
Paris they were horrified people thought they should serve red wine in
the eateries? Soon discovered they needed to

Fun Vintage Item jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 50 16-12-2015 08:24 PM
Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM