Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 06:19:01 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> To exchange good fishing stories later, you need to get out
>>> fishing before dawn for months or years.
>>>
>>> Guys that meet in the early am do NOT exchange fishing
>>> stories. More often talking about the annoying wives,
>>> getting no sex, and then watching the occasional hot
>>> young babe out for morning exercise walking by.

>>For the uninformed who don't know the difference between the words "fish
>>story" and "fishing story" but are still trying to be witty and wonderful,
>>yet failing, here ya go. LOL
>>
>>Definition of "fish story"
>>
>>"an exaggerated or incredible story:
>>It was just another one of his fish stories."

> I thought a fish story was an exaggerated story, alright, but still
> about fishing. Maybe I was half informed.

No. That's a fishing story. And then there's flirty fishing!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 19:16:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 06:19:01 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>For the uninformed who don't know the difference between the words "fish
>>>story" and "fishing story" but are still trying to be witty and wonderful,
>>>yet failing, here ya go. LOL
>>>
>>>Definition of "fish story"
>>>
>>>"an exaggerated or incredible story:
>>>It was just another one of his fish stories."

>> I thought a fish story was an exaggerated story, alright, but still
>> about fishing. Maybe I was half informed.

>No. That's a fishing story. And then there's flirty fishing!

"A strategy used by guys for picking up chicks on the beach (...)"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fishing
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-08-16 11:47 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Wed 16 Aug 2017 08:05:49a, Ophelia told us...

>> We're certainly not, unless we have somewhere we have to be for an
>> appointment. Most mornings we get up no arlier than 9:00 a.m. I
>> spent most of my working life starting work at 7:00 a.m. and swore I
>> would never do that again.
>>

> Getting up at 7 am? Consider yourself luck. When I worked day shifts I
> started work at 7am. For a couple years we had a 6 am start time. I hated
> that one, but I have to say I learned to moved fast in the morning. I had
> the alarm set for 5:15 and I would be out the door before 5:3O and a 20
> minute drive. There was no traffic to worry about at that time.

My start time varied. Could be as early as 5:00 am. When I was opening for a
tournament at the golf course, it was 4:00 a.m. Had to put on the coffee and
make sure we had cold drinks and range balls. Snack bar didn't open till
7:00 and same for the beer cart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Most mornings we get up no arlier than 9:00 a.m. I
>> spent most of my working life starting work at 7:00 a.m. and swore I
>> would never do that again.

> I've been getting up predawn since I was 17 and started
> surfing. I still get up at 4am after all these years. Either
> for work or even on days off. I love the early morning.
>
> Occasionally, I want to sleep in a bit longer but I always
> regretted when I did.
>
> Not critisizing you. Just different from me.

I'm a night owl. I'm just going to bed then. Maybe an hour later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 07:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>>Gary, Bruno Mars is pretty well known wherever pop music is heard/played.
>>Several years ago,
>>he headlined the Super Bowl half time show.

> I don't know Bruno Mars. I know that the Super Bowl is a sports event
> in the US. Something about the nipple of Michael Jackson's sister?

Yep. Bruno is cool. From Hawaii.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 8/16/2017 8:44 PM, Bruce wrote:
>

>>> You don't have to be a hot, young babe to appreciate a man who can
>>> last longer than a cup of coffee. Not everyone appreciates Superman
>>> who is faster than a speeding bullet.

>> Sure, but Janet UK talking on behalf of hot babes, is like me talking
>> on behalf of black rappers.
>>

> I didn't know you were so talented. Do you have a new album coming out?

I hear that Snoop Dog is in a few of the songs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 19:16:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I thought a fish story was an exaggerated story, alright, but still
>>> about fishing. Maybe I was half informed.

>>No. That's a fishing story. And then there's flirty fishing!

> "A strategy used by guys for picking up chicks on the beach (...)"
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fishing

Hehehe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 23:50:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>> Sure, but Janet UK talking on behalf of hot babes, is like me talking
>>> on behalf of black rappers.
>>>

>> I didn't know you were so talented. Do you have a new album coming out?

>I hear that Snoop Dog is in a few of the songs.

Yes, he needed some exposure. People are starting to forget.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 10:33:27 AM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 8/16/2017 2:09 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 9:50:49 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 07:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2

> >> I don't know Bruno Mars. I know that the Super Bowl is a sports event
> >> in the US. Something about the nipple of Michael Jackson's sister?

> > Yes, "Bruno Mars" is the name of Janet Jackson's nipple.
> >

> Wait...it's big enough...but it sings?

It sings, it dances, it lactates. Folks in the business call it a "triple threat."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 10:39:16 AM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 8/15/2017 2:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> >> This doesn't apply to all pescetarians but some seem to see fish as some
> >> kind of lesser being.

> > Well, especially if they're tilapia.

> Nearly flavorless, which may be a good thing in their case.

Not nearly enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> O, I'm about to go for coffee and meet friends and it's 6:50. Some of
>>> them will have been there for nearly an hour! It's not unusual to see
>>> groups of seniors having coffee at that time of day. I don't go every
>>> day, BTW.
>>> Graham
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Blimey! And you do that when you lived here??
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> It just occurred to me. You probably weren't retired when you lived
>>> here
>>>

>> I'm semi-retired. I still get some consulting but with the massive
>> downturn in the oil patch, there is a lot of "resting between
>> engagements" as actors put it:-).
>> Even so, I plan to quit in the next 18 months. I figure I'll be almost
>> 75 at that point and may as well.
>> Graham
>>

>> ==
>>
>> Until you get an offer you can't refuse ... <g>
>>
>> What will you do with yourself when you do retire?
>>

> It's difficult enough now! I have been turning bowls etc for charities
> and I might make some wig-stands for cancer patients. I don't want to
> sell my stuff as that takes marketing and I've had enough of that in my
> consultancy.
> Graham
>
> ===
>
> I can believe it. So, what are the options? I bet you keep doing a bit
> of
> work!

The difficulty is that professional registration, liability insurance,
accounting fees and software maintenance cost me about 5000 quid per
year. That's a substantial overhead for the occasional small job.
Graham

===

Does the work cover all that very well?

If not I reckon you will need to find something to keep you out of mischief
or heaven help the rest of us :>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2017 6:37 PM, graham wrote:

> I was still working flat out, but enjoying it, until I was 70. Now the
> small projects are more of a bother. I'm concerned with being productive
> after retiring. I've noticed that a lot of retirees who say that they
> are busier now than when they worked are often deluding themselves as
> they appear to be doing bugger-all.
> Graham

I enjoyed to too, but some changes took the fun away. I'm not deluding
myself. I'm not busier than ever and don't plan to be. My major
accomplishments today were taking my wife and a friend to lunch and
renewing my driver's license. With a big lunch we skipped dinner so I
didn't have to do that today.

I don't want to be a growing mass in front of the TV, but I don't worry
about being productive. I was productive for years so I don't care
about it now.
Priorities:
1. My wife's needs and happiness
2. My happiness
3. Anything else that comes along when I get to it.

==

You sound just like my husband Those are his priorities too)

We are very lucky ladies)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Wed 16 Aug 2017 11:00:57a, Ophelia told us...

wrote:

>>> I like for mine to go out 2-3 times a week, it gets him up and
>>> moving, has coffee for an hour or so with his buddies, no doubt
>>> swapping fish stories, and then comes home to start the day.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> At 7 AM??

>> Yes, when he's going for coffee with his buddies, they usually
>> meet between 6:30 and 7:00 A.M.
>>
>> Cjero
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Yes) I am just starting to hear about that stuff) We are
>> usually still in bed, drinking coffee and listening to the day's
>> news)
>>
>> So, are you usually up so early?
>>

> I'm a morning person and arise early no matter the day.
> Graham
>
> =
>
> Hmm I am a morning person too, but not that early a morning person
> ... ;-)

I'm a morning person, too, if you count staying up until around 3:00
a.m. :-)

Wayne Boatwright

==

Oh good grief!!! I couldn't manage that!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 2:28:21 PM UTC-10,
wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 7:13:42 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 17:05:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> > > wrote:

> > >Touché!

> > My question is: How would Janet UK know that?
> >

> You don't have to be a hot, young babe to appreciate a man who can
> last longer than a cup of coffee. Not everyone appreciates Superman
> who is faster than a speeding bullet.

When we were in college, my wife gave me a birthday card. It was a cute
card. One that looked suitable for a 6 year old. It showed a incredibly
cutely drawn cartoon kid riding on top of a toy train. He's wearing striped
overalls and has a train engineers hat. Even the smoke billowing out of the
train is drawn in a happy manner. Inside of the card it says "At least you
don't come too early."

It took me about a decade to realize what that was about. Actually, I'm
still not totally sure...

==

Did your wife know when she gave it to you? You could ask her now <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 10:56:28 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 2:28:21 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 7:13:42 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> > >
> > > On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 17:05:33 -0700 (PDT), "

> > > My question is: How would Janet UK know that?
> > >

> > You don't have to be a hot, young babe to appreciate a man who can
> > last longer than a cup of coffee. Not everyone appreciates Superman
> > who is faster than a speeding bullet.

> When we were in college, my wife gave me a birthday card. It was a cute
> card. One that looked suitable for a 6 year old. It showed a incredibly
> cutely drawn cartoon kid riding on top of a toy train. He's wearing striped
> overalls and has a train engineers hat. Even the smoke billowing out of the
> train is drawn in a happy manner. Inside of the card it says "At least you
> don't come too early."
>
> It took me about a decade to realize what that was about. Actually, I'm
> still not totally sure...
>
> ==
>
> Did your wife know when she gave it to you? You could ask her now <g>
>

> --

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Oh, she knew alright.

My wife recently told us that hers was not a happy home when she was growing up. They didn't laugh much in that house. She said that since she's known me, she's absolutely hilarious. I'd have to agree that her family was as dysfunctional as they come. It was my pleasure/duty/honor to pull her out of that environment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 10:56:28 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 2:28:21 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 7:13:42 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> > >
> > > On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 17:05:33 -0700 (PDT), "

> > > My question is: How would Janet UK know that?
> > >

> > You don't have to be a hot, young babe to appreciate a man who can
> > last longer than a cup of coffee. Not everyone appreciates Superman
> > who is faster than a speeding bullet.

> When we were in college, my wife gave me a birthday card. It was a cute
> card. One that looked suitable for a 6 year old. It showed a incredibly
> cutely drawn cartoon kid riding on top of a toy train. He's wearing
> striped
> overalls and has a train engineers hat. Even the smoke billowing out of
> the
> train is drawn in a happy manner. Inside of the card it says "At least you
> don't come too early."
>
> It took me about a decade to realize what that was about. Actually, I'm
> still not totally sure...
>
> ==
>
> Did your wife know when she gave it to you? You could ask her now <g>
>

> --

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Oh, she knew alright.

My wife recently told us that hers was not a happy home when she was growing
up. They didn't laugh much in that house. She said that since she's known
me, she's absolutely hilarious. I'd have to agree that her family was as
dysfunctional as they come. It was my pleasure/duty/honor to pull her out of
that environment.

===

Wonderful))))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> I never try to get in the last word, I just do.

People that insist on getting the last word or "winning,"
I let them win. I'm not about to start a long lasting
fight. I say my piece then walk away and let them have
the last word. No problem here.

> So, here's a little rebuke
> for you...You butted into my post about *fish stories* and men getting
> together for coffee, a totally innocuous post BTW,

My response was also harmless (at least meant to be).

This is usenet not private mail. Everyone butts in
if they have something to say. That's unfair for you
to say that I "butted into" your post.

Look at the recent thing where Nancy2 posted a question
to me and asked about the potted meat. Several people
here "butted in" and answered her question even before
I read it. No problem.

Unlike the "other Gary's" though,
*I* speak with a Virginia accent. ;-D

> Get a ferret and get a life silly boy.

Here's a sad story. Several months ago, my daughter asked me if I
wanted one of her ferrets. This one didn't get along with any of
the others...always fighting and had to be kept separated from
the others. Seemed to be perfect choice for a one-pet situation.

I was so tempted but still held off taking on such a full time
responsibility until I am ready. That is still 2-4 years from now
for the ideal situation. Anyway, while thinking about it, I told
her that I had some reservations so don't wait for me to decide.
Try to find another home.

Then...about a month later, i decided to throw caution to the
wind and go for it. I felt bad thinking she might still be living
with ferrets but in her own cage - kept separately. So I asked
daughter if she ever found a home and she did. Nice people
adopted her. Good news.

Now a few weeks ago, she emailed me and said that the ferret had
heart problems and the new owners had to put her to sleep. crap!

I feel so sad for the ferret and I'd never even met her. Only
seen pictures. I am glad though that I didn't adopt her for just
long enough to get close, then lose her. I don't deal well with
death. No one deals well with death but I'm way worse with the
issue than the average bear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Young guy comes home and says "i got my Olympic condoms today. I think
> I'll use the gold one tonight"
> His wife replied "Why not use the silver and come second for a change?"

Two bulls, a young one and an old one, standing on the hill
looking down at a herd of cows.

Young bull - Look at all those babes.
Let's run down there and get a couple.

Old bull - No. Let's *walk* down there and get them all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Cheri wrote:
>>
>> I never try to get in the last word, I just do.

>People that insist on getting the last word or "winning,"
>I let them win. I'm not about to start a long lasting
>fight. I say my piece then walk away and let them have
>the last word. No problem here.
>
>> So, here's a little rebuke
>> for you...You butted into my post about *fish stories* and men getting
>> together for coffee, a totally innocuous post BTW,

>My response was also harmless (at least meant to be).
>
>This is usenet not private mail. Everyone butts in
>if they have something to say. That's unfair for you
>to say that I "butted into" your post.
>
>Look at the recent thing where Nancy2 posted a question
>to me and asked about the potted meat. Several people
>here "butted in" and answered her question even before
>I read it. No problem.

Getting in the last word means coming in last/losing.
Winners get in the first word and then shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2017 1:25 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 23:50:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> I didn't know you were so talented. Do you have a new album coming out?

>> I hear that Snoop Dog is in a few of the songs.

> Yes, he needed some exposure. People are starting to forget.

Unlikely now that he's a big time marijuana bidnessman.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...uana/72578486/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2017 2:14 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 10:33:27 AM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:

>>> Yes, "Bruno Mars" is the name of Janet Jackson's nipple.
>>>

>> Wait...it's big enough...but it sings?

> It sings, it dances, it lactates. Folks in the business call it a "triple threat."

The residuals must be HUUUUGE!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2017 2:15 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>>> Well, especially if they're tilapia.

>> Nearly flavorless, which may be a good thing in their case.

> Not nearly enough.

Lol, same for Swai.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/17/2017 3:19 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 10:56:28 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 2:28:21 PM UTC-10,
>> wrote:

>>> You don't have to be a hot, young babe to appreciate a man who can
>>> last longer than a cup of coffee. Not everyone appreciates Superman
>>> who is faster than a speeding bullet.

>> When we were in college, my wife gave me a birthday card. It was a cute
>> card. One that looked suitable for a 6 year old. It showed a incredibly
>> cutely drawn cartoon kid riding on top of a toy train. He's wearing striped
>> overalls and has a train engineers hat. Even the smoke billowing out of the
>> train is drawn in a happy manner. Inside of the card it says "At least you
>> don't come too early."
>>
>> It took me about a decade to realize what that was about. Actually, I'm
>> still not totally sure...
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Did your wife know when she gave it to you? You could ask her now <g>
>>

>> --

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Oh, she knew alright.
>
> My wife recently told us that hers was not a happy home when she was growing up. They didn't laugh much in that house. She said that since she's known me, she's absolutely hilarious. I'd have to agree that her family was as dysfunctional as they come. It was my pleasure/duty/honor to pull her out of that environment.

Good on you!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 13:21:09 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 17:05:33 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >Touché!

>> My question is: How would Janet UK know that?

> I was a red hot young babe.

And then you opened your mouth and all the vitriol came out. Bye babe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 07:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Gary, Bruno Mars is pretty well known wherever pop music is
> > > heard/played. Several years ago, he headlined the Super Bowl half
> > > time show.

> > I don't know Bruno Mars. I know that the Super Bowl is a sports
> > event in the US. Something about the nipple of Michael Jackson's
> > sister?

> Yep. Bruno is cool. From Hawaii.

He's Filipeno

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 21:05:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > On 8/14/2017 5:23 PM, Bruce wrote:

> there in >>> the morning. It is not the place to go for a good
> breakfast, but very >>> convenient to meet some of your old cronies
> from work. >>
> >> I'd feel like a child if I met people my age at McDonalds. I'd

> want to >> bring a balloon for each of us and order a clown.
> >>

> > You'd be the only one acting like a kid. Mornings are mostly the
> > older crowd inside and people grabbing a coffee on the way to work
> > at the drive through.
> >
> > Better coffee than Starbucks and cheaper too. Muffins are decent
> > too.
> >
> > Many of the people there are on a modest fixed income and for
> > reasonable cost they can spend a couple of hours a week with
> > friends. Going to a nicer place can cost 5X as much.

> I think that the role of McDonalds and other less salubrious hangouts
> (KFC, Burger King etc) differs per culture. A European Ed Pawlowski
> would not meet his mates at a McDonalds.

Comes off as a bit snooty there. Intended?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > wrote in message
> ... >On Tue, 15 Aug
> 2017 12:31:10 +0100, Janet > wrote:
> >
> > > In article >, says...

> hangouts >>>> (KFC, Burger King etc) differs per culture.
> > >
> >> and how :-)
> > >
> > > A European Ed Pawlowski

> > > If you lived in Europe, you'd never need to meet your pals in
> > > Mcdonalds for a plastic cup of coffee and a factory bun on a
> > > paper plate.
> > >
> > > You'd take your pick from hundreds of distinctive, family-run
> > > coffee shops and cafes with home cooking, where the staff and
> > > regular customers know each others' names, the coffee comes in a
> > > real cup or mug with a saucer and the fabulous
> > > home-made-on-the-premises cakes are served in slices on a real
> > > plate.
> > >
> >> Janet UK

> > I think someone has to be very desperate for social interaction that
> > they have to meet at a fast food joint surrounded by the dregs...
> > don't people have homes for receiving guests... or are they so
> > ashamed of how they live that they need to hide their
> > impoverishedness by holding a tryst at a smelly fetid burger
> > speakeasy. How is it possible to enjoy a cup of java blanketed in
> > the smothering stench of frying mystery flesh and the deafening
> > cacophony of rambunctious rugrats. I always consider breakfast at
> > fast foods something the homeless do... to me IHOP and its ilk is a
> > Hobo Community.

> I'm sure they're quite glad that you aren't out and about in the
> community. You're more of a Charolottesville rally type if some of
> your posts are any indication.
>
> Cheri

He is, at least on this point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > > It seems to be universal as I have noticed that here. They also
> > > use A&W. Those that a bit better off financially go to Starbucks
> > > IME.
> > >

> > Yes, I rather see them out enjoying a cup of coffee with friends
> > than sitting home listening to their arteries hardening.
> >

> Yes, getting out of the house is important. Sheldon mention inviting
> them to one's home. I bet not to many wive want four or five guys
> showing up for coffee at 7 AM.

Sheldon doenst get invites and doesnt invite people so you can pretty
much ignore that one. He has the rare outing with former fellow
employees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 18:45:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> there in >>> the morning. It is not the place to go for a good
>> breakfast, but very >>> convenient to meet some of your old cronies
>> from work. >>

>> want to >> bring a balloon for each of us and order a clown.
>> >>

>> > You'd be the only one acting like a kid. Mornings are mostly the
>> > older crowd inside and people grabbing a coffee on the way to work
>> > at the drive through.
>> >
>> > Better coffee than Starbucks and cheaper too. Muffins are decent
>> > too.
>> >
>> > Many of the people there are on a modest fixed income and for
>> > reasonable cost they can spend a couple of hours a week with
>> > friends. Going to a nicer place can cost 5X as much.

>> I think that the role of McDonalds and other less salubrious hangouts
>> (KFC, Burger King etc) differs per culture. A European Ed Pawlowski
>> would not meet his mates at a McDonalds.

>Comes off as a bit snooty there. Intended?

In Europe McDonalds is for children and for uneducated, lower
socio-economic people. A French or Dutch Ed P. wouldn't meet his mates
there. There are lots of alternatives that are not snooty or
expensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2017 7:34 AM, Gary wrote:

>> "Ophelia" wrote:
>>
>>> "Cheri" wrote:
>>> I like for mine to go out 2-3 times a week, it gets him up and moving, has
>>> coffee for an hour or so with his buddies, no doubt swapping fish stories,
>>> and then comes home to start the day.

>>> At 7 AM??

> To exchange good fishing stories later, you need to get out
> fishing before dawn for months or years.

It's a metaphor, Gary.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2017 9:31 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> For the uninformed who don't know the difference between the words "fish
>> story" and "fishing story" but are still trying to be witty and wonderful,
>> yet failing, here ya go. LOL
>>
>> Definition of "fish story"
>>
>> "an exaggerated or incredible story:
>> It was just another one of his fish stories."
>>
>> Cheri

> Duh. You had to google it to know that fish/fishing stories
> usually cover many subjects and are often exaggerated?
> Still men don't do real fishing stories or if they
> do, it's a minor conversation in the morning.
>
> As long as they come back home to you, be happy.

Whoosh! She googled it for *you*. It's a metaphor. They're really
just drinking coffee and talking with friends.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2017 8:53 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-08-16 2:13 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>>
>> I like for mine to go out 2-3 times a week, it gets him up and moving,
>> has
>> coffee for an hour or so with his buddies, no doubt swapping fish
>> stories,
>> and then comes home to start the day.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> At 7 AM??
>>

> O, I'm about to go for coffee and meet friends and it's 6:50. Some of
> them will have been there for nearly an hour! It's not unusual to see
> groups of seniors having coffee at that time of day. I don't go every
> day, BTW.
> Graham

Sure, why not, Graham? You're awake, they're awake, why not meet for a
cuppa in the early morning?

Jill

Fun Vintage Item jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 50 16-12-2015 08:24 PM
Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM