Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pot luck item

On 8/14/2017 5:36 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I still disagree with dsi1 saying boomers don't know what is
>> trending. If it means life being taken over by Google I'd rather not.
>>
>> Jill

> I think we do know, but what is trending for *us* isnt nessecarily the
> same as what my daughter would think of. My daughter can tell you all
> the popular games, but probably doesnt know who Bruno Mars is or that
> he just released a rather good new video this past weekend.
>
> Just like I was at that age, I was more into flash than a longer
> conversation in comparison to the older me. Thats a natural progression.

I said somewhere else in this discussion, I take a lot of online
surveys. I get screened out of some of them due to my age, sure. But
by the same token, I qualify for a lot of them because they *want* the
opinions of people in my age group. I heard someone on a talk show
mention women in their 50's aren't going to believe an ad featuring a 20
year old if the product they're trying to sell is cream for wrinkles.
Too true!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68Kl39nk0Y

> > > http://www.arranholidayretreats.co.u...Cir-Mhor-summi
> > > t-

> > > kayaking, >>>>> playing
> > > any hills >>>>> to
> > > in crab >>>>> pots, etc. And gee, everyone has a computer.

> > > goes?

> > > silver >>> surfers? ? WE ARE a boom generation, our sheer numbers
> > > mean businesses >>> and politicians can't afford to ignore our
> > > voices, votes and spending >>> power. Just look at the number of
> > > retired home owners downsizing to >>> smaller property; they are
> > > freeing up capital to spend.

> > > Constantly? Sorry, but I really don't think so.
> > >
> > > Jill
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Well it isn't the first time you have said that about him having to
> > > buy a new mattress
> > >

> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> > That gal is obsessed with my bed stain. What she really wants is a
> > photo of it. I should post it cause it would blow this entire
> > newsgroup wide open.

> LOL, I spot read as most know. All I can think of is she has a heavy
> period and 'oops' (happens). Don't need a photo of such. It's just
> nature and happens. If that's it, you'll find some women have much
> lighter periods and do not understand how that can happen.
>
> I'm past all that now, but my poor daughter inherited that aspect from
> me. I'll not get gross over it but she has a flannel covered plastic
> protector now that she puts under the fitted sheet 'just in case'.
>
> --

My wife had a breast removed and the damn wound wouldn't heal. She jokingly told me to kiss her tit goodby. She didn't mind getting rid of it but evidently her tit didn't care much for that plan. The amount of fluid going into the drain tubes nearly caused her to die - twice. Anyway, if she does go before me, that stain will be the only physical remnant I'll have left of her.

The wound has healed nicely but that month was a very hairy time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 3:39:06 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > The reality is the boomers don't go to fast food restaurants much -
> > except to meet up with their old gang in the mornings and drink
> > coffee for hours. The important customers at these joints are young
> > people. Man up and quit whining about how you don't get to be king
> > anymore.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOPn8Y-FMUk

> WTF? What makes you think boomers (people now aged between 53
> and 70) have time to sit around at McDonald's? I'm 60 and
> expect to work until I'm 68.
>
> I don't go to fast food restaurants because their food is
> shitty and I have the money to do better.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Actually Cindy, I don't think all the fast places are shitty. I don't
do them normally but twice a month I teach at the Main Naval Station
Norfolk then have to transit for the rest of the day to my regular
base. On those days, I don't have access to a microwave or fridge. If
I end teaching early enough to go back to my normal workplace, I get
something fast on the way.

The route to where my regular work is at has: Hardees, Wendy's,
McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King and a Chile's (good salad bar with
soups, fast and easy). Which one I hit often has to do with what
coupons I might have from the local paper.

I like Hardees at breakfast hours best (when classes end early) becaue
they are super fast and have tater-tots! I need to try Taco Bell as
they have a breakfast line there now.

Lunch hours, tends to be McDonalds for the meal deals unless I'm in a
mood for tacos or the soup and salad. There's a couple of other spots
along the route but tend to be too slow for my needs or awkward to
reach due to traffic flows and my direction.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 10:07:20 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:
> Am Montag, 14. August 2017 03:19:58 UTC+2 schrieb dsi1:
>
> > Do you dress like a person that's 40 years younger? No? That's good.

> Dressing like a teenager? No. Dressing in a business suit? Double so.
>
> > When you were thirty-something, did you and your friends enjoy hanging
> > around with 60 year olds? No? That's good.

> Why?
>
> Some of our friends are about 30 years older than us and are our friends
> since we were in our twenties - the parents of my husband's best friend
> since high school, a former teacher, a Korean couple,...
> We visit that now widowed mother at least once a year for a few weeks,
> she visits her son (who lives in the same city as we) quite often (not
> unannounced, and they are good friends to each other, too!) - she's 85
> now and often mistaken for our friends wife!
> We learn a lot from her, and she enjoys our company, too. She's always
> a guest at our birthday parties, as are friends our age and - about 30
> years younger than us.
> And guess what - those younger friends enjoy our company, too; we get
> invited a lot and vice versa, we meet quite often and have fun in
> interesting conversations.
> Many Koreans, btw.
>
> We are always eager to learn from anyone, regardless the age. Aren't you?
>
> Bye, Sanne.

I don't care much for hanging with young folks. They have their own concerns that are nothing like mine. I do enjoy talking to older people that are smarter and more experienced that I.

As it goes, our family didn't hang with outside people very much. Mostly, we stayed with each other. My sons were fairly competent at an early age. They felt more like younger brothers to me. Sometimes I forgot they were my sons. We enjoyed being with each other. It was a good time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:20:47 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
> > No need to be a drama queen Bruce.

> Were you getting all emotional?

No but you were.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 8/14/2017 5:36 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > I still disagree with dsi1 saying boomers don't know what is
> > > trending. If it means life being taken over by Google I'd rather
> > > not.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > I think we do know, but what is trending for us isnt nessecarily the
> > same as what my daughter would think of. My daughter can tell you
> > all the popular games, but probably doesnt know who Bruno Mars is
> > or that he just released a rather good new video this past weekend.
> >
> > Just like I was at that age, I was more into flash than a longer
> > conversation in comparison to the older me. Thats a natural
> > progression.
> >

> I said somewhere else in this discussion, I take a lot of online
> surveys. I get screened out of some of them due to my age, sure.
> But by the same token, I qualify for a lot of them because they want
> the opinions of people in my age group. I heard someone on a talk
> show mention women in their 50's aren't going to believe an ad
> featuring a 20 year old if the product they're trying to sell is
> cream for wrinkles. Too true!
>
> Jill

Definatley not!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 12:07:23 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> > LOL, I spot read as most know. (snippies)

> > --

> My wife had a breast removed and the damn wound wouldn't heal. She
> jokingly told me to kiss her tit goodby. She didn't mind getting rid
> of it but evidently her tit didn't care much for that plan. The
> amount of fluid going into the drain tubes nearly caused her to die -
> twice. Anyway, if she does go before me, that stain will be the only
> physical remnant I'll have left of her.
>
> The wound has healed nicely but that month was a very hairy time.

Ouch! Yes, I can see how that can happen. I am glad she is ok.

Breast cancer BTW is more dangerous for men. It's not as common, but
they tend to not have it checked out (when it does happen) until too
late. I lost a male friend to it a decade ago. He didnt relate that
lump and then later wierd dimpling of the nipple the same way a woman
would.

http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20120517

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 2:11:19 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 12:07:23 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> > > LOL, I spot read as most know. (snippies)

> > > --

> > My wife had a breast removed and the damn wound wouldn't heal. She
> > jokingly told me to kiss her tit goodby. She didn't mind getting rid
> > of it but evidently her tit didn't care much for that plan. The
> > amount of fluid going into the drain tubes nearly caused her to die -
> > twice. Anyway, if she does go before me, that stain will be the only
> > physical remnant I'll have left of her.
> >
> > The wound has healed nicely but that month was a very hairy time.

> Ouch! Yes, I can see how that can happen. I am glad she is ok.
>
> Breast cancer BTW is more dangerous for men. It's not as common, but
> they tend to not have it checked out (when it does happen) until too
> late. I lost a male friend to it a decade ago. He didnt relate that
> lump and then later wierd dimpling of the nipple the same way a woman
> would.
>
> http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20120517
>
> --

I did not know this. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think volunteering depends a lot on the community....around here, there are often more than are
needed.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:42:06 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 10:07:20 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:

>> Dressing like a teenager? No. Dressing in a business suit? Double so.
>>
>> > When you were thirty-something, did you and your friends enjoy hanging
>> > around with 60 year olds? No? That's good.

>> Why?
>>
>> Some of our friends are about 30 years older than us and are our friends
>> since we were in our twenties - the parents of my husband's best friend
>> since high school, a former teacher, a Korean couple,...
>> We visit that now widowed mother at least once a year for a few weeks,
>> she visits her son (who lives in the same city as we) quite often (not
>> unannounced, and they are good friends to each other, too!) - she's 85
>> now and often mistaken for our friends wife!
>> We learn a lot from her, and she enjoys our company, too. She's always
>> a guest at our birthday parties, as are friends our age and - about 30
>> years younger than us.
>> And guess what - those younger friends enjoy our company, too; we get
>> invited a lot and vice versa, we meet quite often and have fun in
>> interesting conversations.
>> Many Koreans, btw.
>>
>> We are always eager to learn from anyone, regardless the age. Aren't you?
>>
>> Bye, Sanne.

>I don't care much for hanging with young folks. They have their own concerns that are nothing like mine. I do enjoy talking to older people that are smarter and more experienced that I.

So you can't handle younger folk, but you expect older folk to handle
you. Hmmm... What if they find you an immature pipsqueak?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 18:52:23 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:20:47 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>> > No need to be a drama queen Bruce.

>> Were you getting all emotional?

>No but you were.

I'll admit it. My pillow is hanging outside to dry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 2:29:20 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:42:06 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 10:07:20 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:

> >> Dressing like a teenager? No. Dressing in a business suit? Double so.

> >> Why?
> >>
> >> Some of our friends are about 30 years older than us and are our friends
> >> since we were in our twenties - the parents of my husband's best friend
> >> since high school, a former teacher, a Korean couple,...
> >> We visit that now widowed mother at least once a year for a few weeks,
> >> she visits her son (who lives in the same city as we) quite often (not
> >> unannounced, and they are good friends to each other, too!) - she's 85
> >> now and often mistaken for our friends wife!
> >> We learn a lot from her, and she enjoys our company, too. She's always
> >> a guest at our birthday parties, as are friends our age and - about 30
> >> years younger than us.
> >> And guess what - those younger friends enjoy our company, too; we get
> >> invited a lot and vice versa, we meet quite often and have fun in
> >> interesting conversations.
> >> Many Koreans, btw.
> >>
> >> We are always eager to learn from anyone, regardless the age. Aren't you?
> >>
> >> Bye, Sanne.

> >I don't care much for hanging with young folks. They have their own concerns that are nothing like mine. I do enjoy talking to older people that are smarter and more experienced that I.

> So you can't handle younger folk, but you expect older folk to handle
> you. Hmmm... What if they find you an immature pipsqueak?

They enjoy talking to me because I'm genuinely interested in what they have to say. I pretty much want to soak in as much info from them as I can. I've known some very interesting old folks. Scientists, teachers, farmers, entrepreneurs, people in the food industry, cooks, et al. Are you kidding - I love talking to these guys and they are interested in telling me their stories.

I'm not too interested in conversing with clueless people. Am I a bad person?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 2:11:19 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > My wife had a breast removed and the damn wound wouldn't heal. She
> > > jokingly told me to kiss her tit goodby. She didn't mind getting
> > > rid of it but evidently her tit didn't care much for that plan.
> > > The amount of fluid going into the drain tubes nearly caused her
> > > to die - twice. Anyway, if she does go before me, that stain will
> > > be the only physical remnant I'll have left of her.
> > >
> > > The wound has healed nicely but that month was a very hairy time.

> > Ouch! Yes, I can see how that can happen. I am glad she is ok.
> >
> > Breast cancer BTW is more dangerous for men. It's not as common,
> > but they tend to not have it checked out (when it does happen)
> > until too late. I lost a male friend to it a decade ago. He didnt
> > relate that lump and then later wierd dimpling of the nipple the
> > same way a woman would.
> >
> > http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20120517
> >
> > --

> I did not know this. Thanks.

Welcome. It's a thing men do not think of as being able to affect
them.

My friend was 37 when he died of metastatic breast cancer that spread
to his lymphatic system, kidneys and eventually his liver. All the
signs were there, he just didnt think 'men get breast cancer' so
ignored them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2017 5:23 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:04:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>> You may be surprised at the number of 60+ people hanging out there in
>> the morning. It is not the place to go for a good breakfast, but very
>> convenient to meet some of your old cronies from work.

> I'd feel like a child if I met people my age at McDonalds. I'd want to
> bring a balloon for each of us and order a clown.

You'd be the only one acting like a kid. Mornings are mostly the older
crowd inside and people grabbing a coffee on the way to work at the
drive through.

Better coffee than Starbucks and cheaper too. Muffins are decent too.

Many of the people there are on a modest fixed income and for reasonable
cost they can spend a couple of hours a week with friends. Going to a
nicer place can cost 5X as much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 18:52:23 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:20:47 -0500, "cshenk" >

> wrote: >> > No need to be a drama queen Bruce.
> >>
> >> Were you getting all emotional?

> > No but you were.

> I'll admit it. My pillow is hanging outside to dry.

Be sure to put a cute little umbrella over it. Supposed to rain
tonight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2017 6:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> True. There are some altruistic people who do volunteer work because
> they believe in the cause and want to help out. Others get sucked into
> it or subjected to peer pressure. Men's service clubs are often career
> and business boosters that men join to network and to get brownie points
> for their good deeds. The regular volunteers urge their friends and
> relatives to help out.
>
> The province of Ontario recognized that volunteer service is an
> important part of our society and introduced a requirement for high
> school students to perform 40 hours of volunteer service in order to
> teach them about the importance of volunteering. That is a measly 40
> hours of service over four years, one hour a month.

It may introduce the joy of volunteering to some, but builds resentment
in others. I wonder what the long term result is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2017 5:51 PM, cshenk wrote:

> Charlotte came out well adjusted overall and wasn't too much of a teen
> terror. She'd just graduated with an associates and looking for her
> first job. Looking for starting with a local bookstore at the moment
> (application sent in, seeing what happens). It's a manager trainee
> position. Fair amount of competition but I told her, you never win if
> you don't try.

I hope she does well. Many retail stores call the job management trainee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 20:06:05 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> wrote: >> > No need to be a drama queen Bruce.

>> > No but you were.

>> I'll admit it. My pillow is hanging outside to dry.

>Be sure to put a cute little umbrella over it. Supposed to rain
>tonight.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2017 5:58 PM, cshenk wrote:

>> Why do you have to constantly drag up how he had to deal with his
>> wife's illness??

> Maybe I'm glad I spot read because I haven't got a clue on that one.
> So his wife was ill and something happened?

IIRC it was a post surgery problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 21:05:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/14/2017 5:23 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:04:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> You may be surprised at the number of 60+ people hanging out there in
>>> the morning. It is not the place to go for a good breakfast, but very
>>> convenient to meet some of your old cronies from work.

>> I'd feel like a child if I met people my age at McDonalds. I'd want to
>> bring a balloon for each of us and order a clown.
>>

>You'd be the only one acting like a kid. Mornings are mostly the older
>crowd inside and people grabbing a coffee on the way to work at the
>drive through.
>
>Better coffee than Starbucks and cheaper too. Muffins are decent too.
>
>Many of the people there are on a modest fixed income and for reasonable
>cost they can spend a couple of hours a week with friends. Going to a
>nicer place can cost 5X as much.

I think that the role of McDonalds and other less salubrious hangouts
(KFC, Burger King etc) differs per culture. A European Ed Pawlowski
would not meet his mates at a McDonalds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2017 7:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I don't care much for hanging with young folks. They have their own concerns that are nothing like mine. I do enjoy talking to older people that are smarter and more experienced that I.
>
> As it goes, our family didn't hang with outside people very much. Mostly, we stayed with each other. My sons were fairly competent at an early age. They felt more like younger brothers to me. Sometimes I forgot they were my sons. We enjoyed being with each other. It was a good time.

Young people can be interesting too. They help kee you young in spirit.
Most of our close friends are about our age but we sometimes do things
with older and younger.

You enjoy spending time with older smarter people. Understood, but give
the younger people that opportunity by spending time with you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2017 9:25 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 21:05:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> I'd feel like a child if I met people my age at McDonalds. I'd want to
>>> bring a balloon for each of us and order a clown.
>>>

>> You'd be the only one acting like a kid. Mornings are mostly the older
>> crowd inside and people grabbing a coffee on the way to work at the
>> drive through.
>>
>> Better coffee than Starbucks and cheaper too. Muffins are decent too.
>>
>> Many of the people there are on a modest fixed income and for reasonable
>> cost they can spend a couple of hours a week with friends. Going to a
>> nicer place can cost 5X as much.

> I think that the role of McDonalds and other less salubrious hangouts
> (KFC, Burger King etc) differs per culture. A European Ed Pawlowski
> would not meet his mates at a McDonalds.

I'll remember that should I move to Europe. Over there though, they
have a better infrastructure for that sort of thing going back a couple
hundred years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 07:18:03 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/14/2017 5:50 AM, JBurns wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 19:07:17 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> I'm always appalled at how people want to act so entitled, actually
>>> I call it rude, when they are a guest in someone's home.

>> My younger grandson (17), who lives with us, had a new girlfriend at
>> the beginning of the year. He would invite her over to spend some time
>> with him. She thought nothing of starting screaming fights with him in
>> my house. He broke up with her but not before he had spent months
>> apologising for all his supposed shortcomings.
>>

>17 year olds can be very stupid.
>
>> I banned her from the house after she threw a tantrum over me not
>> providing instant pasta packets for her use. Then she called me a ****
>> and threatened my life. She must really like that stuff!
>>
>> JB
>>

>Good lord, JB! I don't blame you one bit! What made her think you are
>required to stock food for her? Instant pasta packets. I might have
>been flippant enough to call her a c*** right back and say, "You expect
>me to feed you? Take it up with your mother you entitled little bitch."
>
>Hopefully your grandson will learn he doesn't have to bend over
>backwards or take being belittled to get a girlfriend. Just be a nice
>guy. That's what really counts in the long run.

It took a few months to reprogram him and break her hold.

Sometimes she tries to mess with me because she cannot get to him. One
night last week she called my phone 21 times between 6.35pm and
6.55pm. I turned my phone off for a while, put it back on at 11.47pm
and left it turned down. She called a further 39 times between 11.47pm
and 12.15am.

JB

>Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 10:54:58 +0800, JBurns >
wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 07:18:03 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>On 8/14/2017 5:50 AM, JBurns wrote:
>>> On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 19:07:17 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> My younger grandson (17), who lives with us, had a new girlfriend at
>>> the beginning of the year. He would invite her over to spend some time
>>> with him. She thought nothing of starting screaming fights with him in
>>> my house. He broke up with her but not before he had spent months
>>> apologising for all his supposed shortcomings.
>>>

>>17 year olds can be very stupid.
>>
>>> I banned her from the house after she threw a tantrum over me not
>>> providing instant pasta packets for her use. Then she called me a ****
>>> and threatened my life. She must really like that stuff!
>>>
>>> JB
>>>

>>Good lord, JB! I don't blame you one bit! What made her think you are
>>required to stock food for her? Instant pasta packets. I might have
>>been flippant enough to call her a c*** right back and say, "You expect
>>me to feed you? Take it up with your mother you entitled little bitch."
>>
>>Hopefully your grandson will learn he doesn't have to bend over
>>backwards or take being belittled to get a girlfriend. Just be a nice
>>guy. That's what really counts in the long run.

>It took a few months to reprogram him and break her hold.
>
>Sometimes she tries to mess with me because she cannot get to him. One
>night last week she called my phone 21 times between 6.35pm and
>6.55pm. I turned my phone off for a while, put it back on at 11.47pm
>and left it turned down. She called a further 39 times between 11.47pm
>and 12.15am.

It has more to do with psychiatry than with how one is raised or with
how the snooty little folk of rfc have raised their children so much
better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 07:28:19 -0300, wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:50:41 +0800, JBurns >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 19:07:17 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>>>I'm always appalled at how people want to act so entitled, actually
>>>I call it rude, when they are a guest in someone's home.

>>My younger grandson (17), who lives with us, had a new girlfriend at
>>the beginning of the year. He would invite her over to spend some time
>>with him. She thought nothing of starting screaming fights with him in
>>my house. He broke up with her but not before he had spent months
>>apologising for all his supposed shortcomings.
>>
>>I banned her from the house after she threw a tantrum over me not
>>providing instant pasta packets for her use. Then she called me a ****
>>and threatened my life. She must really like that stuff!
>>
>>JB

>Curious to know if you ever met her parents? Sounds like learned
>behaviour.

Single mother with several children. No father on the scene at all.
Yes, it is learned behaviour. She was very manipulative and when that
failed to work (which it always did at our house) she resorted to
abuse and tantrums, like a two year old.

During the same episode she also threatened to go to the police with
rape accusations against my husband, son and other grandson. You can
see why I would be protective about this, false accusations are nasty
things.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> > wrote in message

>>> Shnorror: (shnor-ror) A begger; someone who always looking for a
>>> handout or a free ride; the guy who's always in the bathroom when the
>>> check comes; the person who's constantly borrowing but never
>>> returning; someone who's continually sponging off others.

>> I have seen people do this. Thankfully not too many. One even took all of
>> the crackers from the basket and the after dinner mints, wrapped in a
>> napkin.

> My good friends brother usually takes the sugar packets/condiment packets
> from restaurants, he is quite well to do, so who knows why. He also hangs
> his used paper towels to dry. I guess it's just his thing, but she is
> embarassed by it.

When I worked at K Mart, we had a few people who would get hot water and put
ketchup in it to make soup.

In high school, my friend loved taco day. Nobody else seemed to know about
the condiments but her. She took the whole bowl of lettuce, added tomatoes,
then mixed together things like ketchup, mustard and mayo to make a
dressing. She did wait until everyone had gone through the line so it was
clear that the lettuce wasn't going to get eaten.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 4:06:19 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/14/2017 9:25 PM, Bruce wrote:

> >> You'd be the only one acting like a kid. Mornings are mostly the older
> >> crowd inside and people grabbing a coffee on the way to work at the
> >> drive through.
> >>
> >> Better coffee than Starbucks and cheaper too. Muffins are decent too.
> >>
> >> Many of the people there are on a modest fixed income and for reasonable
> >> cost they can spend a couple of hours a week with friends. Going to a
> >> nicer place can cost 5X as much.

> > I think that the role of McDonalds and other less salubrious hangouts
> > (KFC, Burger King etc) differs per culture. A European Ed Pawlowski
> > would not meet his mates at a McDonalds.
> >

> I'll remember that should I move to Europe. Over there though, they
> have a better infrastructure for that sort of thing going back a couple
> hundred years.

I did see some old gents in a Starbuck-ish coffee shop in London. They certainly didn't look like the retirees you see drinking coffee in McDonalds in the morning. As I recall, it was a saturday evening. These Persian guys were well dressed and looked well-off. They looked positively criminal. This wasn't the light chit-chat that you see at McDonalds. It looked like these guys were holding court at the coffee shop around one fat cat Don. I suppose people are the same everywhere. They're just a lot more scary in Europe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 8/14/2017 5:23 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:04:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> You may be surprised at the number of 60+ people hanging out there in
>>> the morning. It is not the place to go for a good breakfast, but very
>>> convenient to meet some of your old cronies from work.

>> I'd feel like a child if I met people my age at McDonalds. I'd want to
>> bring a balloon for each of us and order a clown.
>>

> You'd be the only one acting like a kid. Mornings are mostly the older
> crowd inside and people grabbing a coffee on the way to work at the drive
> through.
>
> Better coffee than Starbucks and cheaper too. Muffins are decent too.
>
> Many of the people there are on a modest fixed income and for reasonable
> cost they can spend a couple of hours a week with friends. Going to a
> nicer place can cost 5X as much.

Yes, where I am lots of the older people meet at McDonald's in the morning
for coffee and spend a couple of hours there, gone by the time the kids
start arriving a bit later. I wonder if that's trending. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-08-14 6:01 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:56:59 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I can't vouch for McDs. I have only been in one twice in the last 2-3
>>> years. The last time was one year and a couple days ago when we stopped
>>> at one mainly to use the washroom and picked up a coffee and a pastry.
>>> The next previous time was about a year and a half before that.

>> The life and times of Dave Smith.
>>

> It beats spending all my time sitting around responding to almost
> everything posted here with a silly comment.

Oh the irony.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JBurns" wrote in message

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 07:28:19 -0300, wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:50:41 +0800, JBurns >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 19:07:17 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>>>I'm always appalled at how people want to act so entitled, actually
>>>I call it rude, when they are a guest in someone's home.

>>My younger grandson (17), who lives with us, had a new girlfriend at
>>the beginning of the year. He would invite her over to spend some time
>>with him. She thought nothing of starting screaming fights with him in
>>my house. He broke up with her but not before he had spent months
>>apologising for all his supposed shortcomings.
>>
>>I banned her from the house after she threw a tantrum over me not
>>providing instant pasta packets for her use. Then she called me a ****
>>and threatened my life. She must really like that stuff!
>>
>>JB

>Curious to know if you ever met her parents? Sounds like learned
>behaviour.

Single mother with several children. No father on the scene at all.
Yes, it is learned behaviour. She was very manipulative and when that
failed to work (which it always did at our house) she resorted to
abuse and tantrums, like a two year old.

During the same episode she also threatened to go to the police with
rape accusations against my husband, son and other grandson. You can
see why I would be protective about this, false accusations are nasty
things.

JB

===

What a horrible situation I guess your grandson learned a tough lesson!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

My wife had a breast removed and the damn wound wouldn't heal. She jokingly
told me to kiss her tit goodby. She didn't mind getting rid of it but
evidently her tit didn't care much for that plan. The amount of fluid going
into the drain tubes nearly caused her to die - twice. Anyway, if she does
go before me, that stain will be the only physical remnant I'll have left of
her.

The wound has healed nicely but that month was a very hairy time.

==

Yes, I understood at the time that it was very serious. Anyone making jokes
and using that stuff to poke fun at you needs a rethink.

It must have been a terrifying time for you both!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 4:06:19 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/14/2017 9:25 PM, Bruce wrote:

> >> You'd be the only one acting like a kid. Mornings are mostly the older
> >> crowd inside and people grabbing a coffee on the way to work at the
> >> drive through.
> >>
> >> Better coffee than Starbucks and cheaper too. Muffins are decent too.
> >>
> >> Many of the people there are on a modest fixed income and for
> >> reasonable
> >> cost they can spend a couple of hours a week with friends. Going to a
> >> nicer place can cost 5X as much.

> > I think that the role of McDonalds and other less salubrious hangouts
> > (KFC, Burger King etc) differs per culture. A European Ed Pawlowski
> > would not meet his mates at a McDonalds.
> >

> I'll remember that should I move to Europe. Over there though, they
> have a better infrastructure for that sort of thing going back a couple
> hundred years.

I did see some old gents in a Starbuck-ish coffee shop in London. They
certainly didn't look like the retirees you see drinking coffee in McDonalds
in the morning. As I recall, it was a saturday evening. These Persian guys
were well dressed and looked well-off. They looked positively criminal. This
wasn't the light chit-chat that you see at McDonalds. It looked like these
guys were holding court at the coffee shop around one fat cat Don. I suppose
people are the same everywhere. They're just a lot more scary in Europe.

==

Growl yes and don't you forget it ... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 5:51:13 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 11:22:01 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2017-08-14 3:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > > You and the schoolyard queen are way too excitable. Yoose arrogant
> > > guys feel oh so superior to us regular mugs that eat at high volume
> > > fast-food restaurants. Your opinions of restaurants that you've never
> > > eaten before is irrelevant. My opinion on the food is irrelevant
> > > too.

> > It's not that anyone looks down on people who patronize fast food joints
> > that sell cheap food. The problem is when they say the stuff is good.

> Why would that be a problem? Are people so insecure that they cannot handle people liking the stuff they like? Your likes and dislikes is not a problem for me. OTOH, if you like beating your wife, I guess that would be a problem. Are people beating their cheap foods?
>
> OTOH, I'll take a $1.50 McBurger over a $10.00 fancy burger any day of the week. Those fancy burgers are just too big and gross to me. A McBurger would normally make me feel sick, except if I haven't eaten anything for awhile in which case, I might say it's awesomely good. OTOH, I'd rather have a bowl of rice and raw fish than any burger.

I'd rather have rice and raw fish, too. However, I'd prefer half the
$10 burger over the McDonald's burger.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
>> I'd rather have a bowl of rice and raw fish than any burger.

> I'd rather have rice and raw fish, too.

A bowl of rice and raw fish. You two aren't right.
Get help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Dienstag, 15. August 2017 13:53:17 UTC+2 schrieb Gary:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > dsi1 wrote:
> >> I'd rather have a bowl of rice and raw fish than any burger.

> > I'd rather have rice and raw fish, too.

> A bowl of rice and raw fish. You two aren't right.
> Get help.

I'm sure Bruce will help them get rid of it. And me! ;-)
I'll gladly provide my home-made cho-jang and some excellent
horseradish-wasabi-mixture. Garlic, soy sauce and roasted sesame-seed oil,
too. Who brings the salad-leaves?

Bye, Sanne.

Fun Vintage Item jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 50 16-12-2015 08:24 PM
Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM