Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Delivered Meal Kits

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> meals >>> together without someone sending ingredients in a box.

>> > Exactly Terry, they try to tout it as cheaper than home cooking but
>> > they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or more a
>> > serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than that at many
>> > places.
>> >
>> > If someone here can't make a healthy meal for 3$ per person, they
>> > probably need to learn cooking/shopping skills. Fancy meals with
>> > steak shouldn't run over 5$ each.

>> Where do you get good steak that's that cheap? Most of my meals are
>> based on cheap food but the other two that live here do love a good
>> streak. 4 good steaks from Central Market run about $40. And my
>> husband can easily eat two steaks in one meal. Even the lesser
>> quality steaks that I bought the other day from the same store were
>> about $5.99 per package. Two small steaks in each package. He ate one
>> package himself but I knew it wouldn't be enough for him so I padded
>> the meal out with soup, salad, fruit and potatoes.

> It's called portion control Julie, something your family may not use.
>
> Even bone in, a large serving is 1/2lb (8oz each) and that's 1/2 a
> 9.99lb cut of better steak. Those boxes won't have larger servings than
> that and are apt to be less than 8oz each by far.

I'm not talking about the boxes. I already know that even if I were
interested in them, which I am not, the food wouldn't be enough for my
husband. He's a big eater. Your steak must be very cheap there. Good ground
beef here is $8.99 per pound, regular price.

I just looked it up. Grass fed Chuck is $9.99 per pound. NY (which is what
my husband likes), ranges from about $15-26 per pound, depending on grass
fed or not and the store it is purchased at.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-07-23 6:22 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> It's called portion control Julie, something your family may not use.
>>
>> Even bone in, a large serving is 1/2lb (8oz each) and that's 1/2 a
>> 9.99lb cut of better steak. Those boxes won't have larger servings than
>> that and are apt to be less than 8oz each by far.
>>

> There is a big difference between recommended serving sizes and what many
> people expect. Our meat bill is a lot lower when I shop than when my wife
> does, because she eats a lot more meat than I do and serves me more than I
> would serve myself. I would be happy with half a NY strip, but she thinks
> one each is appropriate. I always find it interesting that she she gets
> on my case about some things I am not supposed to eat because of my
> coronary issue, but them continues to serve me at least twice as much fish
> as I should eat.

Angela and I eat very little meat. I almost always eat less than a standard
portion. She'll eat a little more than me but still not a full serving. We
just prefer vegetables. Husband is a huge meat eater.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/23/2017 4:10 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Terry Coombs wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Me too ! And that stuff can't possibly compete with home grown fruits
>>> and veggies . It may be as fresh as off the shelf grocery store fare
>>> , but from the article it's $8 -$12 per serving . Our dinner tonight
>>> might have cost us 3 bucks total , and we have leftovers . For sure
>>> the locally-grown taters , okra , and tomatoes we had were fresher ...
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Snag

>> Exactly Terry, they try to tout it as cheaper than home cooking but
>> they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or more a
>> serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than that at many
>> places.
>>
>> If someone here can't make a healthy meal for 3$ per person, they
>> probably need to learn cooking/shopping skills. Fancy meals with steak
>> shouldn't run over 5$ each.
>>

> I've got some ribeye steaks out in the freezer that cost me 4 bucks a
> pound ... We catch a local store's semi-annual gigantic meat sales . And
> they don't adulterate their meat with "solutions" (except prepackaged
> chicken , oh well). I usually buy pork loin strips , some kind of beef
> steak/roasts , chicken breasts etc , all in quantity . It gets repackaged
> in portions for two and frozen .

I can get cheap meat at Winco in family packs but I rarely do because my
husband doesn't like it. I haven't tried it so don't know what the problem
is, other than the obvious which is that each piece is cut differently. In
order to get them to cook the same, I have to recut them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 5:10 PM, cshenk wrote:

> Exactly Terry, they try to tout it as cheaper than home cooking but
> they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or more a
> serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than that at many
> places.

A protiesm starch, and veggie? Maybe a bowl of soup.

Aside from fast food or a slice of pizza I don't know of any place
around here where you can get a meal for $8. Some of the chains like
Applebees and Chilis have a 2 for $20 deal, but by the time you add in a
beverage and tip you are about $30+

> If someone here can't make a healthy meal for 3$ per person, they
> probably need to learn cooking/shopping skills. Fancy meals with steak
> shouldn't run over 5$ each.

Agree you can do a lot with $3,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 7:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> There is a big difference between recommended serving sizes and what
>> many people expect. Our meat bill is a lot lower when I shop than when
>> my wife does, because she eats a lot more meat than I do and serves me
>> more than I would serve myself. I would be happy with half a NY strip,
>> but she thinks one each is appropriate. I always find it interesting
>> that she she gets on my case about some things I am not supposed to
>> eat because of my coronary issue, but them continues to serve me at
>> least twice as much fish as I should eat.

> Angela and I eat very little meat. I almost always eat less than a
> standard portion. She'll eat a little more than me but still not a full
> serving. We just prefer vegetables. Husband is a huge meat eater.

Good for you. We always had plenty of meat and poorly prepared canned
vegetables as a kid. I know I should eat more of them but I still like
meat, though portions are smaller than they were years ago. I try to
make more fish too. One of the best is salmon, but I don't like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 7:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I'm not talking about the boxes. I already know that even if I were
> interested in them, which I am not, the food wouldn't be enough for my
> husband. He's a big eater. Your steak must be very cheap there. Good
> ground beef here is $8.99 per pound, regular price.
>
> I just looked it up. Grass fed Chuck is $9.99 per pound. NY (which is
> what my husband likes), ranges from about $15-26 per pound, depending on
> grass fed or not and the store it is purchased at.

You must be talking a good meat store, not the local supermarket at
those prices.
Stop & Shop
Ground beef here is $4 or less. This week 80% is 2.99 and top round
London broil is 2.49.

At Avon Prime Meats, grass fed 93% is 9.99
Grass fed NY strip is 27.99

We go to Avon a couple of times a year (100 mile round trip) and splurge
on Berkshire pork chops, veal chops, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 16:28:00 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:21:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > On Sat 22 Jul 2017 04:45:12p, jmcquown told us...

>> > It's an interesting concept, but I'm not so sure that I would want
>> > everything they send to make the meal. In my case, and I'm sure in
>> > the case of many other people, there's a situation where one person
>> > likes one thing, another person likes something else, and that only
>> > multiplies with the number people who will be eating. If you're
>> > really a spontaneous cook, you're might not be in the mood for what
>> > arrives.
>> >
>> > There are more variables, of course, and that in itself can make it
>> > problamatic.
>> >
>> > All that aside, how good is the food? Not having read or
>> > researched the options, how many companies are now offering this
>> > meal in a box?
>> >
>> > We keep a well stocked refrigerator, freezer, and pantry, and I
>> > consider myself a pretty decent cook and have been planning meals
>> > for over 50 years. I don't I need it.

>> I can see situations where it would be useful - there's a woman down
>> the hall from me who fell, smashed her arm and broke her hip. She is
>> home finally after time in rehab, this would solve a few problems for
>> her! Back in the day when we were both working, had three kids, I
>> would have enjoyed a break occasionally. Usually the night we picked
>> up the groceries we would swing past KFC but an alternative would have
>> been nice once in awhile.
>>
>> If you are very busy, or are inconvenienced then a delivered meal
>> might be tempting. They have 'Meals to go" in my supermarket but I
>> don't bother, not my sort of taste and expensive, but they sell.

>Hi Lucretia,
>
>There may be a mis-link here. The stuff they are talking about is not
>a prepared meal, but a box that has the ingredients and you chop them
>up and prepare per the recipe. It may for example have 4 baby potatoes
>that you chop in 1/2 and roll in the included olive oil (for 5$lb or
>more cost for that item). It may have a shrimp dish where the shrimp
>works out as 40$lb

The mis-link is you! I know what they are from ads, here they
certainly make it plain you do the prep and cooking. Just the same,
for her to be able to phone up, choose what she wants and have it
delivered would be an option. Currently she can't drive because of
her arm.

I can think of other reasons some people might like to use them, the
world does not exist on just the people here. Can you tell me why
they advertise and clearly sell them if nobody is buying?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 8:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/23/2017 7:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> I'm not talking about the boxes.

Of course you aren't. You want to hijack the thread and make it about
what your family won't eat.

> I already know that even if I were
>> interested in them, which I am not, the food wouldn't be enough for my
>> husband. He's a big eater. Your steak must be very cheap there. Good
>> ground beef here is $8.99 per pound, regular price.

Steak can be fairly inexpensive. I watch for sales.

>> I just looked it up. Grass fed Chuck is $9.99 per pound. NY (which is
>> what my husband likes), ranges from about $15-26 per pound,

Which is it? $9.99 per pound or $15-26 per pound? Make up your mind.
I often find good cuts of steak for $3.99 lb.

Too bad they don't have great deals out there. I suspect you'd really
like a delivered meal kit. That way you wouldn't have to get off the
couch other than to accept it at the front door. Then you could
complain because you have to cook it or someone doesn't like the
ingredients. Oh darn, it's not beans.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 6:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> meals >>> together without someone sending ingredients in a box.

>>> Where do you get good steak that's that cheap? Most of my meals are
>>> based on cheap food but the other two that live here do love a good
>>> streak. 4 good steaks from Central Market run about $40. And my
>>> husband can easily eat two steaks in one meal. Even the lesser
>>> quality steaks that I bought the other day from the same store were
>>> about $5.99 per package. Two small steaks in each package. He ate one
>>> package himself but I knew it wouldn't be enough for him so I padded
>>> the meal out with soup, salad, fruit and potatoes.

>> It's called portion control Julie, something your family may not use.
>>
>> Even bone in, a large serving is 1/2lb (8oz each) and that's 1/2 a
>> 9.99lb cut of better steak. Those boxes won't have larger servings than
>> that and are apt to be less than 8oz each by far.

> I'm not talking about the boxes. I already know that even if I were
> interested in them, which I am not, the food wouldn't be enough for my
> husband. He's a big eater. Your steak must be very cheap there. Good
> ground beef here is $8.99 per pound, regular price.
>
> I just looked it up. Grass fed Chuck is $9.99 per pound. NY (which is
> what my husband likes), ranges from about $15-26 per pound, depending
> on grass fed or not and the store it is purchased at.

DAYUM ! Where do you live ? We pay an average here of $3-$4 a pound
for 80/20 ground beef . I try to get it on sale for $3 , but sometimes
we run out before the next sale .

--

Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Exactly Terry, they try to tout it as cheaper than home cooking but
>>> they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or more a
>>> serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than that at many
>>> places.
>>>
>>> If someone here can't make a healthy meal for 3$ per person, they
>>> probably need to learn cooking/shopping skills. Fancy meals with steak
>>> shouldn't run over 5$ each.
>>>

>> I've got some ribeye steaks out in the freezer that cost me 4 bucks
>> a pound ... We catch a local store's semi-annual gigantic meat sales
>> . And they don't adulterate their meat with "solutions" (except
>> prepackaged chicken , oh well). I usually buy pork loin strips , some
>> kind of beef steak/roasts , chicken breasts etc , all in quantity .
>> It gets repackaged in portions for two and frozen .

> I can get cheap meat at Winco in family packs but I rarely do because
> my husband doesn't like it. I haven't tried it so don't know what the
> problem is, other than the obvious which is that each piece is cut
> differently. In order to get them to cook the same, I have to recut them.

The last rib-eyes I bought were one bigass chunk , which Jared the
butcher cut into 3/4 inch steaks for me . The store where we shop for
meat will custom cut for customers that buy those bigass pieces . I
usually have the beef cut there , cut pork loins myself - different
sizes for different dishes .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 9:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 7/23/2017 6:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> It's called portion control Julie, something your family may not use.
>>>
>>> Even bone in, a large serving is 1/2lb (8oz each) and that's 1/2 a
>>> 9.99lb cut of better steak. Those boxes won't have larger servings than
>>> that and are apt to be less than 8oz each by far.

>> I'm not talking about the boxes. I already know that even if I were
>> interested in them, which I am not, the food wouldn't be enough for my
>> husband. He's a big eater. Your steak must be very cheap there. Good
>> ground beef here is $8.99 per pound, regular price.
>>
>> I just looked it up. Grass fed Chuck is $9.99 per pound. NY (which is
>> what my husband likes), ranges from about $15-26 per pound, depending
>> on grass fed or not and the store it is purchased at.

> DAYUM ! Where do you live ? We pay an average here of $3-$4 a pound
> for 80/20 ground beef . I try to get it on sale for $3 , but sometimes
> we run out before the next sale .
>
> --
>
> Snag

She lives in a place that is in someone's dream.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:21:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/

>>> I can see situations where it would be useful - there's a woman down
>>> the hall from me who fell, smashed her arm and broke her hip. She is
>>> home finally after time in rehab, this would solve a few problems for
>>> her! Back in the day when we were both working, had three kids, I
>>> would have enjoyed a break occasionally. Usually the night we picked
>>> up the groceries we would swing past KFC but an alternative would have
>>> been nice once in awhile.
>>>
>>> If you are very busy, or are inconvenienced then a delivered meal
>>> might be tempting. They have 'Meals to go" in my supermarket but I
>>> don't bother, not my sort of taste and expensive, but they sell.

>> Hi Lucretia,
>>
>> There may be a mis-link here. The stuff they are talking about is not
>> a prepared meal, but a box that has the ingredients and you chop them
>> up and prepare per the recipe. It may for example have 4 baby potatoes
>> that you chop in 1/2 and roll in the included olive oil (for 5$lb or
>> more cost for that item). It may have a shrimp dish where the shrimp
>> works out as 40$lb

> The mis-link is you! I know what they are from ads, here they
> certainly make it plain you do the prep and cooking. Just the same,
> for her to be able to phone up, choose what she wants and have it
> delivered would be an option. Currently she can't drive because of
> her arm.
>
> I can think of other reasons some people might like to use them, the
> world does not exist on just the people here. Can you tell me why
> they advertise and clearly sell them if nobody is buying?

The link I posted suggested they aren't hugely popular. I asked here
because allegedly we like to cook. From the responses, not a lot of
people would pay approximately $50 ($30 off first order!) for a meal kit
that serves 2-3 people to be delivered several times a week. We would
really rather keep items in the freezer and pantry and cook what we decide.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2017 7:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> I'm not talking about the boxes. I already know that even if I were
>> interested in them, which I am not, the food wouldn't be enough for my
>> husband. He's a big eater. Your steak must be very cheap there. Good
>> ground beef here is $8.99 per pound, regular price.
>>
>> I just looked it up. Grass fed Chuck is $9.99 per pound. NY (which is
>> what my husband likes), ranges from about $15-26 per pound, depending on
>> grass fed or not and the store it is purchased at.

> You must be talking a good meat store, not the local supermarket at those
> prices.
> Stop & Shop
> Ground beef here is $4 or less. This week 80% is 2.99 and top round
> London broil is 2.49.
>
> At Avon Prime Meats, grass fed 93% is 9.99
> Grass fed NY strip is 27.99
>
> We go to Avon a couple of times a year (100 mile round trip) and splurge
> on Berkshire pork chops, veal chops, etc.

These are at grocery stores but not the standard ones. These are more like
Whole Foods type places. I haven't bought regular ground beef in I don't
know when. Only grass fed, organic now. That's what I call good meat. Even
Winco and Walmart sell it now. I'm fine with the ground beef but the steaks
are tiny. Angela is fine with them but I'd need to buy 4-6 of them to make a
meal for my husband. And he still prefers the beef from those other stores.
As you can imagine, we don't get that very often. Perhaps 4-6 times a year.
I hear that DD Meats in Mountlake Terrace is good but that's not an area I
have any need to go to otherwise and I can't be bothered to go all the way
there just for meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/23/2017 8:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 7/23/2017 7:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>>> I'm not talking about the boxes.

> Of course you aren't. You want to hijack the thread and make it about
> what your family won't eat.

Nope.

>> I already know that even if I were
>>> interested in them, which I am not, the food wouldn't be enough for my
>>> husband. He's a big eater. Your steak must be very cheap there. Good
>>> ground beef here is $8.99 per pound, regular price.
>>>

> Steak can be fairly inexpensive. I watch for sales.
>
>>> I just looked it up. Grass fed Chuck is $9.99 per pound. NY (which is
>>> what my husband likes), ranges from about $15-26 per pound,

> Which is it? $9.99 per pound or $15-26 per pound? Make up your mind. I
> often find good cuts of steak for $3.99 lb.

Read it again...slowly... Grass fed Chuck. NY. Two entirely different cuts
of meat. Maybe you think Chuck is a good cut of meat. I don't. I'm not
saying that I never buy it but NY is a much better cut, at least according
to my husband and he's the big steak eater.

What cut can you get for $3.99? Is it grass fed? And I know it's not organic
because you don't eat organic. People here are very much into organic.

> Too bad they don't have great deals out there. I suspect you'd really
> like a delivered meal kit. That way you wouldn't have to get off the
> couch other than to accept it at the front door. Then you could complain
> because you have to cook it or someone doesn't like the ingredients. Oh
> darn, it's not beans.

I know why they call you McBiddy. You're also McBitter. I just got back from
Winco. Food just for me and the purry furries. No meat unless you want to
count cat food. I did buy beans though. Was pleased to see their brand of
chili beans. I hope they are as good as the Hytop that they used to sell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/23/2017 6:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> It's called portion control Julie, something your family may not use.
>>>
>>> Even bone in, a large serving is 1/2lb (8oz each) and that's 1/2 a
>>> 9.99lb cut of better steak. Those boxes won't have larger servings than
>>> that and are apt to be less than 8oz each by far.

>> I'm not talking about the boxes. I already know that even if I were
>> interested in them, which I am not, the food wouldn't be enough for my
>> husband. He's a big eater. Your steak must be very cheap there. Good
>> ground beef here is $8.99 per pound, regular price.
>>
>> I just looked it up. Grass fed Chuck is $9.99 per pound. NY (which is
>> what my husband likes), ranges from about $15-26 per pound, depending on
>> grass fed or not and the store it is purchased at.

> DAYUM ! Where do you live ? We pay an average here of $3-$4 a pound for
> 80/20 ground beef . I try to get it on sale for $3 , but sometimes we run
> out before the next sale .

Seattle area. I only buy organic, grass fed meats. I do make exceptions with
things like sausages or ham. I also only buy very lean ground beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/23/2017 9:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> I'm not talking about the boxes. I already know that even if I were
>>> interested in them, which I am not, the food wouldn't be enough for my
>>> husband. He's a big eater. Your steak must be very cheap there. Good
>>> ground beef here is $8.99 per pound, regular price.
>>>
>>> I just looked it up. Grass fed Chuck is $9.99 per pound. NY (which is
>>> what my husband likes), ranges from about $15-26 per pound, depending
>>> on grass fed or not and the store it is purchased at.

>> DAYUM ! Where do you live ? We pay an average here of $3-$4 a pound
>> for 80/20 ground beef . I try to get it on sale for $3 , but sometimes
>> we run out before the next sale .
>>
>> --
>>
>> Snag
>>

> She lives in a place that is in someone's dream.

Thanks, Jill. I'm quite sure that it is!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2017 7:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> There is a big difference between recommended serving sizes and what
>>> many people expect. Our meat bill is a lot lower when I shop than when
>>> my wife does, because she eats a lot more meat than I do and serves me
>>> more than I would serve myself. I would be happy with half a NY strip,
>>> but she thinks one each is appropriate. I always find it interesting
>>> that she she gets on my case about some things I am not supposed to eat
>>> because of my coronary issue, but them continues to serve me at least
>>> twice as much fish as I should eat.

>> Angela and I eat very little meat. I almost always eat less than a
>> standard portion. She'll eat a little more than me but still not a full
>> serving. We just prefer vegetables. Husband is a huge meat eater.

> Good for you. We always had plenty of meat and poorly prepared canned
> vegetables as a kid. I know I should eat more of them but I still like
> meat, though portions are smaller than they were years ago. I try to make
> more fish too. One of the best is salmon, but I don't like it.

We had a lot of vegetables when I was growing up. We had a big garden in
Wichita and my mom canned some stuff. Once me moved here, I had a garden but
it was much smaller and more limited. I mostly had to pay for the seeds and
onion sets myself but my dad bought whatever topsoil, fertilizer, etc. that
was needed and perhaps some tomato plants.

Every dinner at home included a green salad and fresh vegetables so long as
we had them. Otherwise my brother and I alternated choosing the canned
vegetable. Even when we had pot roast with cooked carrots and potatoes,
there was a canned vegetable and a salad too.

We didn't always have meat. We seemed to have macaroni and cheese quite
often or popcorn and soup with some chunks of cheese. At some point in time,
we did meatless Mondays so no meat then. My dad started some thing at our
church about this. Everyone was supposed to figure out how much money they
saved by not eating meat and donating that money to needy people.

OTOH, we did dine out quite a bit when we could afford this. All these rules
went out the window then. We could order what we wanted but we still almost
always had salad. I do remember that one time that I mentioned here before
where my brother (a vegetable hater) managed to get away with not ordering a
salad. Normally my parents would have insisted but this wasn't a place we'd
eaten at before and I think the prices were high or something. The three of
us who ate salad got food poisoning. My brother did not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 20:26:14 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 7/23/2017 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> I've got some ribeye steaks out in the freezer that cost me 4 bucks
>>> a pound ... We catch a local store's semi-annual gigantic meat sales
>>> . And they don't adulterate their meat with "solutions" (except
>>> prepackaged chicken , oh well). I usually buy pork loin strips , some
>>> kind of beef steak/roasts , chicken breasts etc , all in quantity .
>>> It gets repackaged in portions for two and frozen .

>> I can get cheap meat at Winco in family packs but I rarely do because
>> my husband doesn't like it. I haven't tried it so don't know what the
>> problem is, other than the obvious which is that each piece is cut
>> differently. In order to get them to cook the same, I have to recut them.

> The last rib-eyes I bought were one bigass chunk , which Jared the
>butcher cut into 3/4 inch steaks for me . The store where we shop for
>meat will custom cut for customers that buy those bigass pieces . I
>usually have the beef cut there , cut pork loins myself - different
>sizes for different dishes .

We like beef tenderloin steaks. If I ask, the butcher at the grocery
store will cut me 6 8-ounce steaks (about $10 each) and I'll freeze
them. They are all exactly the same thickness, so they are easy to
cook to medium-rare.

I'l often cook one steak and we'll share it (I get 3 ounces and he
gets 5) along with a baked potato and some salad. It's a good easy
dinner.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/23/2017 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> I've got some ribeye steaks out in the freezer that cost me 4 bucks a
>>> pound ... We catch a local store's semi-annual gigantic meat sales . And
>>> they don't adulterate their meat with "solutions" (except prepackaged
>>> chicken , oh well). I usually buy pork loin strips , some kind of beef
>>> steak/roasts , chicken breasts etc , all in quantity . It gets
>>> repackaged in portions for two and frozen .

>> I can get cheap meat at Winco in family packs but I rarely do because my
>> husband doesn't like it. I haven't tried it so don't know what the
>> problem is, other than the obvious which is that each piece is cut
>> differently. In order to get them to cook the same, I have to recut them.

> The last rib-eyes I bought were one bigass chunk , which Jared the
> butcher cut into 3/4 inch steaks for me . The store where we shop for meat
> will custom cut for customers that buy those bigass pieces . I usually
> have the beef cut there , cut pork loins myself - different sizes for
> different dishes .

These aren't big pieces. They're family packs of smaller pieces but the
pieces in one package are all different in terms of thickness and overall
size. I suppose this would work if you had a big family to cook for and
everyone wanted them cooked to a different doneness. But I just quit buying
the stuff because my husband won't eat it. He says it's not good but no clue
beyond that. Daughter will eat it but as I said, she eats very little meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2017 5:10 PM, cshenk wrote:
>

>> Exactly Terry, they try to tout it as cheaper than home cooking but
>> they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or more a
>> serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than that at many
>> places.

> A protiesm starch, and veggie? Maybe a bowl of soup.
>
> Aside from fast food or a slice of pizza I don't know of any place around
> here where you can get a meal for $8. Some of the chains like Applebees
> and Chilis have a 2 for $20 deal, but by the time you add in a beverage
> and tip you are about $30+

Prices are going way up here. I was shocked to see that the going rate for a
burger and sandwich with fries is around $12 or more at most places. Not
counting fast food here, and I don't like to eat at chain places.

One of my favorite places keeps offering me free meals or discounts but
they're still seriously overpriced for dinner an the specials only apply to
that. I notice now that they don't even list their prices online now. People
might faint if they saw them. Here's a link to the restaurant:

http://www.kostascuisine.com/

Mostly when we do dine out, it's for lunch. We still have to take my mom out
once a week because she insists on it. And she almost always pays the bill
so money isn't an issue there. For us anyway. We did manage to get out of
taking her to dinner AND lunch which is what we used to do. It just kind of
annoys me that she is paying so much for food out when she already is paying
for meals where she lives. The dining room is set up like a restaurant and
she can have two meals a day in there. She can have salad bar or soup at any
time and that doesn't count as a meal. There is also a coffee shop and
anything in there is free to her at any time. Most is self serve such as
bread (there's a toaster), cookies, pastries, fruit, but they serve other
foods at breakfast and lunch time. Also free popcorn in the movie theater.
So she won't starve. She just likes to go out to eat.

I just figure if we can stick to just lunch out, it is saving her some money
because lunch is usually cheaper than dinner, at least at the types of
places we usually go to.

>> If someone here can't make a healthy meal for 3$ per person, they
>> probably need to learn cooking/shopping skills. Fancy meals with steak
>> shouldn't run over 5$ each.
>>

> Agree you can do a lot with $3,

Yep. But I still disagree about the steak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 23-Jul-2017, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > On Sat 22 Jul 2017 08:15:06p, jmcquown told us...

>> > Guessing at what the boxed meal probably costs, I think one
>> > would be
>> > paying a good deal for convenience if nothing else.
>> >
>> > No on all acounts is it for me either.

>> Probably doesn't work for any of us here. It's something for
>> the
>> millenial crowd who are clueless on cooking. (Not all
>> millenials are
>> clueless on that but they tend to a larger portion).

> A recent public radio segment reported similar findings from a
> study of consumers of those services. They also reported that a
> portion of those quit the service after a while, having learned
> how to cook. I imagine those former customers are now the
> customers of supermarket home delivery and some of the kits those
> stores offer. I have noticed large displays of things like "pot
> roast kit, everything you need in this container" and an increase
> in pre-prepped ingredients.

My daughter had a fascination for those stupid kits for some time. And I'm
sure if my mom were still cooking, she would too. That sort of thing was
right up her alley. And people will point out to you that there is no waste.
Okay... Might be something I would use if I were staying in some motel or
hotel with a little kitchen. Because then, the no waste thing would be
useful. But at home? I have all the seasonings I need. And some things I buy
in Costco sized portions because I use a lot of them and it's far cheaper
that way.

At least my daughter was cured of her fascination after she tried a
guacamole packet and then a fajita packet. She wasn't overly fond of the end
results of either. And now she knows how to make both from scratch, although
we still do buy guacamole quite often because avocados only keep for so
long. She only makes it if she is craving the really good stuff.

I think something went wrong with the taste buds of both of my parents.
Neither one ever seemed to be able to tell the difference between really
good food or mediocre, with a few exceptions. The last meal that my dad had
at his house was made by Angela. It was spaghetti red and we used a really
good, whole wheat pasta. He did notice a difference then and said it was
much better than usual. That may well have been the only time he ever ate
whole wheat pasta though because I don't think my mom ever bought it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> The link I posted suggested they aren't hugely popular. I asked here
> because allegedly we like to cook. From the responses, not a lot of
> people would pay approximately $50 ($30 off first order!) for a meal kit
> that serves 2-3 people to be delivered several times a week. We would
> really rather keep items in the freezer and pantry and cook what we
> decide.

There's a local woman who makes and delivers meals. Her enchiladas looked
really good the other day but... I can make all of what she makes and I can
make it for less. She doesn't seem to do very complicated things. She's a
young person and it would seem that most of her customers are young too.

The ones that really get me though are the ones like Dream Dinners and
Dinners Ready. You drive there and assemble however many meals you want,
using their seasonings and precut meats and veggies. You can customize them
a bit by leaving things out. Not sure if you can use extra of other things.
But then you bring the assembled things home, put them in your freezer and
heat as needed.

My mom tried to insist that if I were working, I would LOVE such a thing. Oh
no, I would not. I see no point whatever. They're not delivered to you. You
have to go there and get them. Then freeze and reheat. One of my friends
does the Dream Dinners and somehow gets them to assemble them for her. When
I looked at the website, there was no such option. But you still have to go
get them! There is no appeal to me whatever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> We like beef tenderloin steaks. If I ask, the butcher at the grocery
> store will cut me 6 8-ounce steaks (about $10 each) and I'll freeze
> them. They are all exactly the same thickness, so they are easy to
> cook to medium-rare.
>
> I'l often cook one steak and we'll share it (I get 3 ounces and he
> gets 5) along with a baked potato and some salad. It's a good easy
> dinner.

I had not heard that term before. I did look it up and it appears to be
filet mignon. Wouldn't be enough meat for my husband. 8 oz. is a mere snack
for him. He would prefer 24 oz. I kid you not. That is why I don't make
steak very often.

This is his favorite restaurant.

http://www.cattlemens.com/restaurants/

I refused to go there. Just not my kind of food and he went there often
enough (IMO) with people from work. I am not positive which steak he ordered
but it was one of the biggest ones. He said he would eat mostly the steak
and maybe dessert.

I don't like being surrounded by people with huge portions of food. Just
seeing that kills my appetite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 01:17:51 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I had not heard that term before. I did look it up and it appears to be
>filet mignon. Wouldn't be enough meat for my husband. 8 oz. is a mere snack
>for him. He would prefer 24 oz. I kid you not. That is why I don't make
>steak very often.
>
>This is his favorite restaurant.
>
>http://www.cattlemens.com/restaurants/
>
>I refused to go there. Just not my kind of food and he went there often
>enough (IMO) with people from work. I am not positive which steak he ordered
>but it was one of the biggest ones. He said he would eat mostly the steak
>and maybe dessert.
>
>I don't like being surrounded by people with huge portions of food. Just
>seeing that kills my appetite.

I know what you mean. I was at an all-you-can-eat a while ago and I
was so put off by the amounts people were eating, that I mainly dined
on a bottle of chardonnay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 8:59:17 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 7/23/2017 8:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 7/23/2017 7:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>

> >> I'm not talking about the boxes.

> Of course you aren't. You want to hijack the thread and make it about
> what your family won't eat.
>
> > I already know that even if I were
> >> interested in them, which I am not, the food wouldn't be enough for my
> >> husband. He's a big eater. Your steak must be very cheap there. Good
> >> ground beef here is $8.99 per pound, regular price.
> >>

> Steak can be fairly inexpensive. I watch for sales.
>
> >> I just looked it up. Grass fed Chuck is $9.99 per pound. NY (which is
> >> what my husband likes), ranges from about $15-26 per pound,

> Which is it? $9.99 per pound or $15-26 per pound? Make up your mind.
> I often find good cuts of steak for $3.99 lb.

Grass-fed chuck is $9.99 per pound.
NY (probably New York strip) is $15-26 per pound.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 9:13:32 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 7/23/2017 6:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > I just looked it up. Grass fed Chuck is $9.99 per pound. NY (which is
> > what my husband likes), ranges from about $15-26 per pound, depending
> > on grass fed or not and the store it is purchased at.

> DAYUM ! Where do you live ? We pay an average here of $3-$4 a pound
> for 80/20 ground beef . I try to get it on sale for $3 , but sometimes
> we run out before the next sale .

Do you buy commodity beef or grass-fed organic? There's a big difference
in price.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 22:55:59 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:
\>
>I'l often cook one steak and we'll share it (I get 3 ounces and he
>gets 5) along with a baked potato and some salad. It's a good easy
>dinner.
>
>Doris

I used to do that and cut it in half and have the other the next day.
Now I buy Sirloin Caps, at least that's what they call them here, and
find the smallest ones are just right for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> >I don't like being surrounded by people with huge portions of food. Just
> >seeing that kills my appetite.

> I know what you mean. I was at an all-you-can-eat a while ago and I
> was so put off by the amounts people were eating, that I mainly dined
> on a bottle of chardonnay.

Both of you are still babies. I guess you both switched from
Pampers to Depends by now since you are both old ppl....whining
old people. Why in the world would you look at or even care what
others in a restaurant have on their plates? Mind your own damn
business. Eat at home not at restaurants with others.

This is the dumbest complaint ever on RFC since I've been here.

You both wouldn't want to go to a buffet with me. I *indulge* and
usually ask for a wheelchair to take me out to my car when I pay
the check. LOL heheheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> >I don't like being surrounded by people with huge portions of food. Just
> >seeing that kills my appetite.

> I know what you mean. I was at an all-you-can-eat a while ago and I
> was so put off by the amounts people were eating, that I mainly dined
> on a bottle of chardonnay.

You lie.
Was it an "all-you-can-drink" buffet too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 07:58:20 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>> >I don't like being surrounded by people with huge portions of food. Just
>> >seeing that kills my appetite.

>> I know what you mean. I was at an all-you-can-eat a while ago and I
>> was so put off by the amounts people were eating, that I mainly dined
>> on a bottle of chardonnay.

>Both of you are still babies. I guess you both switched from
>Pampers to Depends by now since you are both old ppl....whining
>old people. Why in the world would you look at or even care what
>others in a restaurant have on their plates?

The overeating was also happening at my table. It was hard to ignore.

> Mind your own damn
>business. Eat at home not at restaurants with others.

I can eat at restaurants. I'll just avoid all-you-can-eat restaurants,
where misers stuff themselves to the point of being sick all night.

>This is the dumbest complaint ever on RFC since I've been here.

That's still a claim to fame.

>You both wouldn't want to go to a buffet with me. I *indulge* and
>usually ask for a wheelchair to take me out to my car when I pay
>the check. LOL heheheh

I won't help you keep your hair out of your face while you're vomiting
in the parking lot. Hehehe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 08:10:46 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>> >I don't like being surrounded by people with huge portions of food. Just
>> >seeing that kills my appetite.

>> I know what you mean. I was at an all-you-can-eat a while ago and I
>> was so put off by the amounts people were eating, that I mainly dined
>> on a bottle of chardonnay.

>You lie.

About what?

>Was it an "all-you-can-drink" buffet too?

No, I had to pay for the entire bottle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 07:58:20 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>> >I don't like being surrounded by people with huge portions of food. Just
>> >seeing that kills my appetite.

>> I know what you mean. I was at an all-you-can-eat a while ago and I
>> was so put off by the amounts people were eating, that I mainly dined
>> on a bottle of chardonnay.

>Both of you are still babies. I guess you both switched from
>Pampers to Depends by now since you are both old ppl....whining
>old people. Why in the world would you look at or even care what
>others in a restaurant have on their plates? Mind your own damn
>business. Eat at home not at restaurants with others.

Hey! you forgot to add there might be mums there breast feeding at the
table instead of in the washroom

>This is the dumbest complaint ever on RFC since I've been here.
>
>You both wouldn't want to go to a buffet with me. I *indulge* and
>usually ask for a wheelchair to take me out to my car when I pay
>the check. LOL heheheh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 7:56:43 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:

> This is the dumbest complaint ever on RFC since I've been here.

"How many times you go through the line is a private matter between you and your capacity, and then between your capacity and the chef's evil eye."

Wiki
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2017 4:17 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>> We like beef tenderloin steaks.
>>
>> I'l often cook one steak and we'll share it (I get 3 ounces and he
>> gets 5) along with a baked potato and some salad. It's a good easy
>> dinner.

> I had not heard that term before. I did look it up and it appears to be
> filet mignon.

Soert of. The filet mignon is actually from the small end but the term
is often used for any portion of the tenderloin. It is very tender,
lean but I don't think as flavorful as a rib eye. I like doing the
tenderlin as a roast once in a while.

Wouldn't be enough meat for my husband. 8 oz. is a mere
> snack for him. He would prefer 24 oz. I kid you not. That is why I don't
> make steak very often.
>
> This is his favorite restaurant.
>
> http://www.cattlemens.com/restaurants/

I've seen something about the restaurant on TV. The 24 oz T-bone looks
good, but even when I was younger and very active I'd not finish it. We
eat less beef overall these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>> >I don't like being surrounded by people with huge portions of food. Just
>> >seeing that kills my appetite.

>> I know what you mean. I was at an all-you-can-eat a while ago and I
>> was so put off by the amounts people were eating, that I mainly dined
>> on a bottle of chardonnay.

> Both of you are still babies. I guess you both switched from
> Pampers to Depends by now since you are both old ppl....whining
> old people. Why in the world would you look at or even care what
> others in a restaurant have on their plates? Mind your own damn
> business. Eat at home not at restaurants with others.

I can't go out to eat and keep my eyes on my own plate. That's why I refused
to go to that restaurant.

> This is the dumbest complaint ever on RFC since I've been here.

I'm sure it's not.

> You both wouldn't want to go to a buffet with me. I *indulge* and
> usually ask for a wheelchair to take me out to my car when I pay
> the check. LOL heheheh

I'm sure I wouldn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/24/2017 4:17 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>>> We like beef tenderloin steaks.
>>>
>>> I'l often cook one steak and we'll share it (I get 3 ounces and he
>>> gets 5) along with a baked potato and some salad. It's a good easy
>>> dinner.

>> I had not heard that term before. I did look it up and it appears to be
>> filet mignon.

> Soert of. The filet mignon is actually from the small end but the term is
> often used for any portion of the tenderloin. It is very tender, lean but
> I don't think as flavorful as a rib eye. I like doing the tenderlin as a
> roast once in a while.
>

> Wouldn't be enough meat for my husband. 8 oz. is a mere
>> snack for him. He would prefer 24 oz. I kid you not. That is why I don't
>> make steak very often.
>>
>> This is his favorite restaurant.
>>
>> http://www.cattlemens.com/restaurants/
>>

> I've seen something about the restaurant on TV. The 24 oz T-bone looks
> good, but even when I was younger and very active I'd not finish it. We
> eat less beef overall these days.

He would finish it. I'll spare you the details of what happened later. I'll
just say that it wasn't pretty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2017 3:45 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 23-Jul-2017, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:

>>> Stouffer's makes some tasty frozen entrees The thing
>>> about
>>> these dinner kits is you still have to do all the work: chop
>>> and
>>> cook the veggies and the meat, add seasonings. The only real
>>> convenience is someone put the *ingredients* in a box and
>>> sent it
>>> to you.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> The only Stouffer's dinner that I really like is their stuffed
>> peppers, and I think they're as good as what I make at home.

> +1-ish
> One of the rare frozen dinners I like isthe Stouffer's stuffed
> peppers; the only other I can think of is Stouffer's Lasagna.
> These are my goto items when I don't have time to cook something
> and have no tasty leftovers to eat.

Try Stouffer's chicken parmesan. Sure, I can make it just as good from
scratch at home. But not for $2.83 cents. Heck, chicken is
expensive. Add the cost of fresh cheese, it's adding up fast.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:21:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/

>>> I can see situations where it would be useful - there's a woman down
>>> the hall from me who fell, smashed her arm and broke her hip. She is
>>> home finally after time in rehab, this would solve a few problems for
>>> her! Back in the day when we were both working, had three kids, I
>>> would have enjoyed a break occasionally. Usually the night we picked
>>> up the groceries we would swing past KFC but an alternative would have
>>> been nice once in awhile.
>>>
>>> If you are very busy, or are inconvenienced then a delivered meal
>>> might be tempting. They have 'Meals to go" in my supermarket but I
>>> don't bother, not my sort of taste and expensive, but they sell.

>>Hi Lucretia,
>>
>>There may be a mis-link here. The stuff they are talking about is not
>>a prepared meal, but a box that has the ingredients and you chop them
>>up and prepare per the recipe. It may for example have 4 baby potatoes
>>that you chop in 1/2 and roll in the included olive oil (for 5$lb or
>>more cost for that item). It may have a shrimp dish where the shrimp
>>works out as 40$lb

>The mis-link is you! I know what they are from ads, here they
>certainly make it plain you do the prep and cooking. Just the same,
>for her to be able to phone up, choose what she wants and have it
>delivered would be an option. Currently she can't drive because of
>her arm.
>
>I can think of other reasons some people might like to use them, the
>world does not exist on just the people here. Can you tell me why
>they advertise and clearly sell them if nobody is buying?

You are doing exactly what you're complaining that people here are
doing, expressing their opinions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I used to order a 16 or 24 oz. bone-in ribeye at a favorite
> steakhouse. I can't even finish the 16 oz. size now without feeling
> uncomfortable. When I buy a prime rib steak from my butcher these
> days, I usually have them cut a 16 oz. steak because of the necessary
> thickness. When I grill it, I usually eat only half the first night
> and have the rest the next day.

I used to buy a whole rib eye and BJs and cut 1" steaks. Now I get them
cut 2" and my wife and I each eat half. We like the way the thick
steaks cooks better to a medium rage with a nice outside sear. Works
well with a thick T-bone too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>Jill McQuown wrote:
>>Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Of course you aren't. You want to hijack the thread and make it about
>> what your family won't eat.
>>
>> > I already know that even if I were

*See comment below.

>> Steak can be fairly inexpensive. I watch for sales.

>> Which is it? $9.99 per pound or $15-26 per pound? Make up your mind.
>> I often find good cuts of steak for $3.99 lb.

>Grass-fed chuck is $9.99 per pound.
>NY (probably New York strip) is $15-26 per pound.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Here in NY bone-in chuck steak is around $5/lb.
NY boneless strip steak runs between $7-$8/lb
Those are everyday prices at the Tops Market in town, sometimes on
sale in family packs. This is all USDA Choice.
I can buy grass fed orgasm beef from the farmer who cuts my hay but I
don't like it, much too dry and slightly gamey. They may call it
grass fed but truth is it's pasture fed (fed the same as goats and
sheep), they eat most every weed growing and rarely any actual grass.

*There's no such thing as "Good" ground beef unless you grind it
yourself.