Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Delivered Meal Kits

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 9:42:26 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:22:59 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >> Like zucchini?

> >I eat that. Beets too.

> But joan(n) doesn't.

Zucchini - no.
Pickled beets - yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 10:06:28 PM UTC-5, Doris Night wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:27:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> To see someone eating that and getting sick while
> >eating it is just not something pleasant to me.

> You're kidding, right? Someone is in a restaurant and they are barfing
> while eating their dinner?
>
> Doris

You know Julie lies like a rug?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:27:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> They are obviously fibbing, putting on air with their snobbishness...
>>> truth be told the reason they patronize those all you can eat
>>> emporiums is to show off by out-eating everyone there... people who
>>> are put off by big eaters wouldn't go there.
>>>
>>> Many years ago when driving cross country I pulled into a Golden
>>> Corral in South Dakota, was the first eatery for a hundred miles...
>>> mile after mile the billboards said All You Can Eat - $4.99.
>>> The joint was packed but I was seated at a small corner table. It was
>>> Lunch time on a Sunday so obviously church must have let out as most
>>> were wearing their Sunday best bib overalls, even the women. These
>>> were all over sized people and could they eat. The food was very good
>>> but mostly I was entertained by the other patrons with butts so large
>>> I don't know how they fit a John Deere saddle. And even wearing bib
>>> overalls I could tell some of those Big Beautiful Woman were braless,
>>> I could see those Elsie look alike Dairy Queens were so buxom they
>>> couldn't buy OTC bras so rather than paying hundred$ for custom made
>>> they went without... I enjoyed the show so much that I can't remember
>>> what I ate but I did enjoy the dessert bar.

>>I was not talking about a buffet place. I mentioned a steakhouse where
>>they
>>serve 2 pound steaks. To see someone eating that and getting sick while
>>eating it is just not something pleasant to me.

> You're kidding, right? Someone is in a restaurant and they are barfing
> while eating their dinner?

Not barfing. Not right then anyway. Just holding their stomach and
complaining how sick they feel but continuing to eat and laugh and thinking
it's funny. I don't think it's funny and I'd just as soon not be there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 7:40:26 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 19:28:56 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >> When I was working I kept one of their meat sauce lasagna in the freezer
> >> for days I did not take lunch with me. Sure, home made is better but it
> >> was good as is.

> >Yep, Stouffer's lasagna is good. I've made it many times from scratch
> >(used to freeze it in single serve portions to take to work for lunch).
> > But for when I don't feel like cooking all the ingredients and
> >assembling lasagna, Stouffer's works.

> Ingredients
>
> Sauce: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Water, Cooked Beef, Dry
> Curd Cottage Cheese (Cultured Skim Milk, Enzymes), Modified
> Cornstarch, Salt, Bleached Wheat Flour, Dehydrated Onions, Sugar
> Spices, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Dehydrated Garlic, Soy Sauce (Water,
> Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Carrageenan, Dextrose, Soybean Oil. Cooked
> Pasta: Water, Semolina. Cheese: Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella
> Cheese (Pasteurized Part-Skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes),
> Parmesan Cheese (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes), Modified Cornstarch
>
> I don't know what kind of idiot bleaches wheat, but other than that
> not bad.

Bleached flour (wheat) is very common in the U.S. People have up
until recently judged white baked goods as superior than brown
baked goods, because only the rich could afford white flour.
Unbleached flour is slightly beige; bleached flour is whiter.
I leave it to the bakers and health nuts to weigh in on whether
bleached flour is undesirable.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 7:54:17 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Exactly Terry, they try to tout it as cheaper than home cooking but
> > > they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or more a
> > > serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than that at many
> > > places.
> > >
> > > If someone here can't make a healthy meal for 3$ per person, they
> > > probably need to learn cooking/shopping skills. Fancy meals with
> > > steak shouldn't run over 5$ each.
> > >

> > I've got some ribeye steaks out in the freezer that cost me 4 bucks a
> > pound ... We catch a local store's semi-annual gigantic meat sales .
> > And they don't adulterate their meat with "solutions" (except
> > prepackaged chicken , oh well). I usually buy pork loin strips , some
> > kind of beef steak/roasts , chicken breasts etc , all in quantity .
> > It gets repackaged in portions for two and frozen .
> >
> > --
> >
> > Snag

> I haven't lucked into ribeye at that price locally but I have seen it
> at 5.99 many a time.

Lots of stores sell USDA Select. I don't think they do it anymore, but
a local grocery used to label their packaged meat with something like
"Manager's Preferred" and "Something Else I Can't Recall". I asked
the guy stocking the case what the USDA grade on "Manager's Preferred"
was, and he said it was approximately USDA choice. The "Something Else"
beef was cheaper, and probably would grade out at Select.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2017 11:10 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 7/22/2017 7:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they won't
>> make you and your children have a better time together.
>>
>> http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
>>
>> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting meals
>> together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
>>
>> Jill

> I joined Home Chef not because I can't put a meal together but just so
> that a couple of nights a week I didn't have to think about what to do
> for dinner. I was less then happy with the service even though the
> recipes were good and I really liked getting just the right amount of
> ingredients to make what I wanted without waste if I couldn't use
> something later. The reason I don't use them anymore is because a few
> times the order was very late and even after I'd gone to bed for the
> night. I'd get a text that my order was delivered and I'd have to get
> out of bed and unpack everything. The last order that was late was an
> entire day late and the ice bags were thawed and the meat was very close
> to being room temp. I emailed to complain and no one bothered to respond.

I understand the concept. Sounds like you had a really bad experience.
I really don't want to rely on the post office, UPS or FedEx to
deliver the ingredients for a meal. What if you had company? What do
you say? "I'm sure the dinner ingredients will be here soon... um,
around 7, 8, maybe 10 O'clock". Meanwhile, have some chips and dip.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Ingredients
> ... Bleached Wheat Flour ...

> I don't know what kind of idiot bleaches wheat, but other than that
> not bad.

Sounds to me like a fancier way to describe plain old white
flour. (?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 03:22:19 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 7:40:26 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 19:28:56 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >Yep, Stouffer's lasagna is good. I've made it many times from scratch
>> >(used to freeze it in single serve portions to take to work for lunch).
>> > But for when I don't feel like cooking all the ingredients and
>> >assembling lasagna, Stouffer's works.

>> Ingredients
>>
>> Sauce: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Water, Cooked Beef, Dry
>> Curd Cottage Cheese (Cultured Skim Milk, Enzymes), Modified
>> Cornstarch, Salt, Bleached Wheat Flour, Dehydrated Onions, Sugar
>> Spices, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Dehydrated Garlic, Soy Sauce (Water,
>> Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Carrageenan, Dextrose, Soybean Oil. Cooked
>> Pasta: Water, Semolina. Cheese: Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella
>> Cheese (Pasteurized Part-Skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes),
>> Parmesan Cheese (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes), Modified Cornstarch
>>
>> I don't know what kind of idiot bleaches wheat, but other than that
>> not bad.

>Bleached flour (wheat) is very common in the U.S. People have up
>until recently judged white baked goods as superior than brown
>baked goods, because only the rich could afford white flour.
>Unbleached flour is slightly beige; bleached flour is whiter.
>I leave it to the bakers and health nuts to weigh in on whether
>bleached flour is undesirable.

It's a dumb, unnecessary step, but maybe you find dumb, unnecessary
steps desirable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 06:49:24 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Ingredients
>> ... Bleached Wheat Flour ...

>> I don't know what kind of idiot bleaches wheat, but other than that
>> not bad.

>Sounds to me like a fancier way to describe plain old white
>flour. (?)

I think the word 'bleached' suggests a processing step.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 06:49:24 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> Ingredients
> >> ... Bleached Wheat Flour ...

> >> I don't know what kind of idiot bleaches wheat, but other than that
> >> not bad.

> >Sounds to me like a fancier way to describe plain old white
> >flour. (?)

> I think the word 'bleached' suggests a processing step.

I agree with you. Plain old wheat flour will be
yellowish/brownish in color. Bleaching that to white is the extra
processing step. Why they do that, I have no idea. Maybe to make
it more visually appealing?

Plain flour here is always bleached and very white.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2017 7:19 AM, Bruce wrote:

>> Bleached flour (wheat) is very common in the U.S. People have up
>> until recently judged white baked goods as superior than brown
>> baked goods, because only the rich could afford white flour.
>> Unbleached flour is slightly beige; bleached flour is whiter.
>> I leave it to the bakers and health nuts to weigh in on whether
>> bleached flour is undesirable.

> It's a dumb, unnecessary step, but maybe you find dumb, unnecessary
> steps desirable.

We've been using unbleached for years. No one has ever complained about
the color. I'm using some later today to make a chocolate cake. Will
anyone know if it is bleached?

I see no reason to add a chemical process.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 07:49:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 7/25/2017 7:19 AM, Bruce wrote:
>
>>> Bleached flour (wheat) is very common in the U.S. People have up
>>> until recently judged white baked goods as superior than brown
>>> baked goods, because only the rich could afford white flour.
>>> Unbleached flour is slightly beige; bleached flour is whiter.
>>> I leave it to the bakers and health nuts to weigh in on whether
>>> bleached flour is undesirable.

>> It's a dumb, unnecessary step, but maybe you find dumb, unnecessary
>> steps desirable.
>>

>We've been using unbleached for years. No one has ever complained about
>the color. I'm using some later today to make a chocolate cake. Will
>anyone know if it is bleached?
>
>I see no reason to add a chemical process.

Agreed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beef Steak (WAS: Delivered Meal Kits)

On 7/24/2017 7:54 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>>> If someone here can't make a healthy meal for 3$ per person, they
>>> probably need to learn cooking/shopping skills. Fancy meals with
>>> steak shouldn't run over 5$ each.
>>>

>> I've got some ribeye steaks out in the freezer that cost me 4 bucks a
>> pound ... We catch a local store's semi-annual gigantic meat sales .
>> And they don't adulterate their meat with "solutions" (except
>> prepackaged chicken , oh well). I usually buy pork loin strips , some
>> kind of beef steak/roasts , chicken breasts etc , all in quantity .
>> It gets repackaged in portions for two and frozen .
>>
>> --
>>
>> Snag

> I haven't lucked into ribeye at that price locally but I have seen it
> at 5.99 many a time.

This week Publix has boneless NY Strip steaks (which is half of a T-bone
steak, cut off the bone) for $8.99/lb. Bone-in ribeye steaks are
$12.99/lb. You could always buy a standing rib roast and cut the rib
steaks yourself.* Personally, I'd rather have a nice petite tenderloin
filet. aka filet minon. About 6 ounces. I love a good steak, I just
don't have a huge appetite.

*I still find this amusing. About 25 years ago I went to Charlie's Meat
Market (Snag might remember Charlie's on Summer Avenue in Memphis.
Wayne might remember it, too.) I wanted to buy a bone-in standing rib
roast. The butcher said no, you want boneless. No, I want bone-in.
No, you want boneless. No, I want bone-in. No, you want boneless. I
have no idea why this guy was arguing with me. Dammit, just sell me a
bone-in rib roast!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I see no reason to add a chemical process.

Don't ever use hominy then....corn kernals soaked in lye.
Used to make grits and tortillas....and other things.

-------------------------------
Hominy is made from whole corn kernels that have been soaked in a
lye or lime solution to soften the tough outer hulls. The
kernels are then washed to remove the excess solution, the hull,
and often the germ. You can find ready-to-eat hominy in cans,
but we prefer the texture and flavor we get when we cook it
ourselves. (You cook dried hominy exactly like dried beans.)

Hominy is also sometimes cracked to make samp, coarsely ground
into grits, or very finely ground to make masa flour. In these
other forms, hominy is used as a thickener for stew, to make
tortillas and tamales, or as a dish all on its own
--------------------------------
http://www.thekitchn.com/h-is-for-ho...-it-and-100215
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Personally, I'd rather have a nice petite tenderloin
> filet. aka filet minon. About 6 ounces. I love a good steak, I just
> don't have a huge appetite.

Just in the past 3 weeks, I've cooked two 8oz filet mignons. They
were part of a birthday gift from a good friend and his wife.
First time I've ever eaten that cut of meat. They were nice and
tender but not so flavorful as a ribeye, imo. Difference in fat
content probably. I notice that Ed P. said the same thing about
them a few days ago.

Also, each 8oz, I ate maybe 4-5oz and saved the rest for cold
steak on buttered toast sandwiches. I so love the steak leftovers
that way.

I still have two 10oz strip steaks to cook (2nd half of my
birthday present)

The package came from:
https://www.kansascitysteaks.com/

They mail overnight deliveries with dry ice in a VERY insulated
package.

I had fun with the dry ice too. I put a pot of hot water in my
sink then, using tongs, put the dry ice into the pot. What fun to
watch as the "fog" filled the pot, then filled my entire sink,
then even flowed over that. heheh It was fun to see. I took a
few pics. Maybe one came out good enough to post here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017 14:02:33 UTC+2 schrieb Jill McQuown:

> This week Publix has boneless NY Strip steaks (which is half of a T-bone
> steak, cut off the bone) for $8.99/lb. Bone-in ribeye steaks are
> $12.99/lb. You could always buy a standing rib roast and cut the rib
> steaks yourself.*

At our source, I pay about 18 Euros/kg ($9,57/lb) boneless rib-eye steak. Organic. Regular price, less when on sale. Good and honest stuff.
And it's pretty good, as our American friend stated.

> *I still find this amusing. About 25 years ago I went to Charlie's Meat
> Market (Snag might remember Charlie's on Summer Avenue in Memphis.
> Wayne might remember it, too.) I wanted to buy a bone-in standing rib
> roast. The butcher said no, you want boneless. No, I want bone-in.
> No, you want boneless. No, I want bone-in. No, you want boneless. I
> have no idea why this guy was arguing with me. Dammit, just sell me a
> bone-in rib roast!

He was right, you know? Rib roast is boneless. ;-)
That was all that mattered to him - he could have explained to you the
name of the cut you wanted by your description, but no - my suspicion is
he just didn't know the right name and therefore insisted. ;-D

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-24 11:06 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:27:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> I was not talking about a buffet place. I mentioned a steakhouse where they
>> serve 2 pound steaks. To see someone eating that and getting sick while
>> eating it is just not something pleasant to me.

> You're kidding, right? Someone is in a restaurant and they are barfing
> while eating their dinner?

When Julie returned after her hiatus she was quite restrained in her
posting. She seems to be reverting to he old style or churning our posts
and filling them with lies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-25 7:49 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> We've been using unbleached for years. No one has ever complained about
> the color. I'm using some later today to make a chocolate cake. Will
> anyone know if it is bleached?
>
> I see no reason to add a chemical process.

Bleaching is a way a speeding up the aging process that lightens and
softens flour. Unbleached flour becomes bleached in time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-25 9:34 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I've never ordered or purchased a strip steak. Bone-in ribeye steaks
> are typically around $12.99 at Fry's.
>
> David will only eat a filet mignon. While I find it very ender, I
> also find it seriously lacking in flavor. I'll take a bone-in ribeye
> any day over any other cut of steak.

Tenderloin is my preferred steak cut. If eaten rare to medium rare it is
very tasty. When it is overcooked it loses that flavour and its texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 07:45:00 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >Sounds to me like a fancier way to describe plain old white
>> >flour. (?)

>> I think the word 'bleached' suggests a processing step.

>I agree with you. Plain old wheat flour will be
>yellowish/brownish in color. Bleaching that to white is the extra
>processing step. Why they do that, I have no idea. Maybe to make
>it more visually appealing?
>
>Plain flour here is always bleached and very white.

I would call unbleached flour creamy in color.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>>penmart wrote:

>>> They are obviously fibbing, putting on air with their snobbishness...
>>> truth be told the reason they patronize those all you can eat
>>> emporiums is to show off by out-eating everyone there... people who
>>> are put off by big eaters wouldn't go there.
>>>
>>> Many years ago when driving cross country I pulled into a Golden
>>> Corral in South Dakota, was the first eatery for a hundred miles...
>>> mile after mile the billboards said All You Can Eat - $4.99.
>>> The joint was packed but I was seated at a small corner table. It was
>>> Lunch time on a Sunday so obviously church must have let out as most
>>> were wearing their Sunday best bib overalls, even the women. These
>>> were all over sized people and could they eat. The food was very good
>>> but mostly I was entertained by the other patrons with butts so large
>>> I don't know how they fit a John Deere saddle. And even wearing bib
>>> overalls I could tell some of those Big Beautiful Woman were braless,
>>> I could see those Elsie look alike Dairy Queens were so buxom they
>>> couldn't buy OTC bras so rather than paying hundred$ for custom made
>>> they went without... I enjoyed the show so much that I can't remember
>>> what I ate but I did enjoy the dessert bar.

>>I was not talking about a buffet place. I mentioned a steakhouse where they
>>serve 2 pound steaks. To see someone eating that and getting sick while
>>eating it is just not something pleasant to me.

>You're kidding, right? Someone is in a restaurant and they are barfing
>while eating their dinner?
>
>Doris

I agree, she's telling another of her whoppers.
Anyway it's not very difficult to eat a two pound steak. The tavern
in the next town sells a very good porterhouse, a 12 ounce and a 24
ounce. With all the bone, fat and some gristle there really isn't a
lot to eat on a porterhouse, I would order the 24 ounce and had no
problem devouring it, could have easily eaten a full 2 pounder.
Remember, beef steak is also better than 80% water... a one pound
steak cooked to medium rare will weigh about twelve ounces, and then
with 4 ounces of bone, fat and gristle left on the plate it's really
not a lot of meat. I have to laugh at those who claim to eat 4-6 oz
child's portion steaks but have no problem polishing off a large pile
of heavily breaded greasy fried chicken.
For tonight's dinner London broil, top round, USDA Choice, 1.3 lbs, at
$3.49/lb, total $4.57. It's not a lot nor did it cost a lot for two
people and some for cats... along with a qt container of kasha
varnishkas I defrosted... just need to choose a veggie, I think the
last of a huge bag of frozen chopped spinach. Top round when on sale
is a bargain, it's usually $7.49/lb... it contains very little waste
(actually none), when on sale I stock up, some I grind, makes great
burgers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

Doris Night wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>>penmart wrote:

>>> They are obviously fibbing, putting on air with their snobbishness...
>>> truth be told the reason they patronize those all you can eat
>>> emporiums is to show off by out-eating everyone there... people who
>>> are put off by big eaters wouldn't go there.
>>>
>>> Many years ago when driving cross country I pulled into a Golden
>>> Corral in South Dakota, was the first eatery for a hundred miles...
>>> mile after mile the billboards said All You Can Eat - $4.99.
>>> The joint was packed but I was seated at a small corner table. It was
>>> Lunch time on a Sunday so obviously church must have let out as most
>>> were wearing their Sunday best bib overalls, even the women. These
>>> were all over sized people and could they eat. The food was very good
>>> but mostly I was entertained by the other patrons with butts so large
>>> I don't know how they fit a John Deere saddle. And even wearing bib
>>> overalls I could tell some of those Big Beautiful Woman were braless,
>>> I could see those Elsie look alike Dairy Queens were so buxom they
>>> couldn't buy OTC bras so rather than paying hundred$ for custom made
>>> they went without... I enjoyed the show so much that I can't remember
>>> what I ate but I did enjoy the dessert bar.

>>I was not talking about a buffet place. I mentioned a steakhouse where
>>they
>>serve 2 pound steaks. To see someone eating that and getting sick while
>>eating it is just not something pleasant to me.

>You're kidding, right? Someone is in a restaurant and they are barfing
>while eating their dinner?
>
>Doris

I agree, she's telling another of her whoppers.
Anyway it's not very difficult to eat a two pound steak. The tavern
in the next town sells a very good porterhouse, a 12 ounce and a 24
ounce. With all the bone, fat and some gristle there really isn't a
lot to eat on a porterhouse, I would order the 24 ounce and had no
problem devouring it, could have easily eaten a full 2 pounder.
Remember, beef steak is also better than 80% water... a one pound
steak cooked to medium rare will weigh about twelve ounces, and then
with 4 ounces of bone, fat and gristle left on the plate it's really
not a lot of meat. I have to laugh at those who claim to eat 4-6 oz
child's portion steaks but have no problem polishing off a large pile
of heavily breaded greasy fried chicken.
For tonight's dinner London broil, top round, USDA Choice, 1.3 lbs, at
$3.49/lb, total $4.57. It's not a lot nor did it cost a lot for two
people and some for cats... along with a qt container of kasha
varnishkas I defrosted... just need to choose a veggie, I think the
last of a huge bag of frozen chopped spinach. Top round when on sale
is a bargain, it's usually $7.49/lb... it contains very little waste
(actually none), when on sale I stock up, some I grind, makes great
burgers.

===

I eat a lot of steak and my portion is always what you call a 'child size'.
I like it with a lot of salad and I couldn't eat more.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 06:48:32 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/24/2017 11:10 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 7/22/2017 7:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Here's an article which states they aren't all that. And no, they won't
>>> make you and your children have a better time together.
>>>
>>> http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, sorry but I'd rather not. I'm pretty good putting meals
>>> together without someone sending ingredients in a box.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I joined Home Chef not because I can't put a meal together but just so
>> that a couple of nights a week I didn't have to think about what to do
>> for dinner. I was less then happy with the service even though the
>> recipes were good and I really liked getting just the right amount of
>> ingredients to make what I wanted without waste if I couldn't use
>> something later. The reason I don't use them anymore is because a few
>> times the order was very late and even after I'd gone to bed for the
>> night. I'd get a text that my order was delivered and I'd have to get
>> out of bed and unpack everything. The last order that was late was an
>> entire day late and the ice bags were thawed and the meat was very close
>> to being room temp. I emailed to complain and no one bothered to respond.
>>

>I understand the concept. Sounds like you had a really bad experience.
> I really don't want to rely on the post office, UPS or FedEx to
>deliver the ingredients for a meal. What if you had company? What do
>you say? "I'm sure the dinner ingredients will be here soon... um,
>around 7, 8, maybe 10 O'clock". Meanwhile, have some chips and dip.
>
>Jill

By the time food arrives everyone will be zonked on booze.
I don't understand any difficulty in thinking what to prepare for
dinner... I'm ready to feed if Marine 1 lands in my yard. I keep a
very well stocked larder and can cook eggs dozens of ways... I always
have 3 dozen or more eggs in the fridge. I typically buy two of those
18 eg cartons each week and yesterday my neighbor brought me a doen
brown eggs as a thank you for the zukes and cukes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 09:48:47 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-07-25 9:34 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I've never ordered or purchased a strip steak. Bone-in ribeye steaks
>> are typically around $12.99 at Fry's.
>>
>> David will only eat a filet mignon.

What a TIAD spoiled faggot... feed him some pecker larger than your
Tiny Tim and he may come around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Ingredients
>> ... Bleached Wheat Flour ...

>> I don't know what kind of idiot bleaches wheat, but other than that
>> not bad.

> Sounds to me like a fancier way to describe plain old white
> flour. (?)

You can get bleached and unbleached. Bleached came about to make it appear
to be a finer product.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Bruce wrote:

>> >Sounds to me like a fancier way to describe plain old white
>> >flour. (?)

>> I think the word 'bleached' suggests a processing step.

> I agree with you. Plain old wheat flour will be
> yellowish/brownish in color. Bleaching that to white is the extra
> processing step. Why they do that, I have no idea. Maybe to make
> it more visually appealing?
>
> Plain flour here is always bleached and very white.

That's not plain. That's bleached. Look at the bags next time. There is
unbleached. You can buy it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-07-25 12:41 PM, wrote:
>> Doris Night wrote:
>>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You're kidding, right? Someone is in a restaurant and they are barfing
>>> while eating their dinner?
>>>
>>> Doris

>> I agree, she's telling another of her whoppers.

> She has a bit of a problem. She posts compulsively but runs out of truths
> to share, so she starts making them up. Lucky for her she has her little
> sisterhood of stupidity to believe her and to stick up for her.

What did I make up? This is a real chain of restaurants. And they do serve
huge steaks. Have you never witnessed or heard of eating contents? They do
exsist.

http://www.cattlemens.com/

And we used to have this place. My friend worked there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrel..._Cream_Parlour

That had a dish called The Zoo. It was a punch bowl filled with scoops of
ice cream, toppings and plastic animals. The idea was to order it for a
kid's party but if a single person could eat the entire thing, they'd get an
award. I worked across the street from the place and every week, a guy would
come in and tell us how he tried to eat the zoo and failed. He had some sort
of problem, but not entirely sure what. Asked us to call him Tiger. Then one
day he just never came back.

There is or was some TV show that featured gigantic food. I never saw it,
just saw it being advetised. Some people truly are into these things. Just
not me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2017 1:53 PM, wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 06:48:32 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

http://time.com/4863064/amazon-meal-...apron-cooking/

>>> I joined Home Chef not because I can't put a meal together but just so
>>> that a couple of nights a week I didn't have to think about what to do
>>> for dinner. I was less then happy with the service even though the
>>> recipes were good and I really liked getting just the right amount of
>>> ingredients to make what I wanted without waste if I couldn't use
>>> something later. The reason I don't use them anymore is because a few
>>> times the order was very late and even after I'd gone to bed for the
>>> night. I'd get a text that my order was delivered and I'd have to get
>>> out of bed and unpack everything. The last order that was late was an
>>> entire day late and the ice bags were thawed and the meat was very close
>>> to being room temp. I emailed to complain and no one bothered to respond.
>>>

>> I understand the concept. Sounds like you had a really bad experience.
>> I really don't want to rely on the post office, UPS or FedEx to
>> deliver the ingredients for a meal. What if you had company? What do
>> you say? "I'm sure the dinner ingredients will be here soon... um,
>> around 7, 8, maybe 10 O'clock". Meanwhile, have some chips and dip.
>>
>> Jill

> By the time food arrives everyone will be zonked on booze.
> I don't understand any difficulty in thinking what to prepare for
> dinner... I'm ready to feed if Marine 1 lands in my yard. I keep a
> very well stocked larder and can cook eggs dozens of ways... I always
> have 3 dozen or more eggs in the fridge. I typically buy two of those
> 18 eg cartons each week and yesterday my neighbor brought me a doen
> brown eggs as a thank you for the zukes and cukes.

That's kind of the point of my original post. I don't think these
portioned out raw dinner kits are going to encourage anyone to cook
unless they're already interested in cooking. You have to wait for it
to arrive... which led to my question "what if you had company?"
They're supposed to sit around and hope the ingredients show up that night?

I will say this, though. You seem to use a heck of a lot more eggs than
anyone I've ever heard of. Of course there are a lot of ways to cook
eggs. But I certainly don't want to eat eggs every day.

I was thrilled when the store started stocking half cartons (6 eggs).
They last me about three months. No way could I use two cartons of 18
eggs in a week. Nor would I want to.

BTW, you're not feeding the military anymore.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-07-24 11:06 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:27:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

> > > I was not talking about a buffet place. I mentioned a steakhouse
> > > where they serve 2 pound steaks. To see someone eating that and
> > > getting sick while eating it is just not something pleasant to me.

> > You're kidding, right? Someone is in a restaurant and they are
> > barfing while eating their dinner?
> >

> When Julie returned after her hiatus she was quite restrained in her
> posting. She seems to be reverting to he old style or churning our
> posts and filling them with lies.

I noticed the same. I like her, but there was a spate where she had
felt a need to reply to *every* message made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-25 7:30 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> You're kidding, right? Someone is in a restaurant and they are
>>> barfing while eating their dinner?
>>>

>> When Julie returned after her hiatus she was quite restrained in her
>> posting. She seems to be reverting to he old style or churning our
>> posts and filling them with lies.

> I noticed the same. I like her, but there was a spate where she had
> felt a need to reply to *every* message made.

Therein lies most of the problem. Between her compulsive posting and
the sisterhood of stupidity compulsively replying to attention seeking
behaviour things got carried away.

Cue the sisterhood to snipe at me for being obsessed with her, but,
given the number of posts from her and the sisterhood, I am not the one
with the obsession.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 18:07:21 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>wrote in message ...
>
>Doris Night wrote:
>>Julie Bove wrote:

>>>I was not talking about a buffet place. I mentioned a steakhouse where
>>>they
>>>serve 2 pound steaks. To see someone eating that and getting sick while
>>>eating it is just not something pleasant to me.

>>You're kidding, right? Someone is in a restaurant and they are barfing
>>while eating their dinner?
>>
>>Doris

>I agree, she's telling another of her whoppers.
>Anyway it's not very difficult to eat a two pound steak. The tavern
>in the next town sells a very good porterhouse, a 12 ounce and a 24
>ounce. With all the bone, fat and some gristle there really isn't a
>lot to eat on a porterhouse, I would order the 24 ounce and had no
>problem devouring it, could have easily eaten a full 2 pounder.
>Remember, beef steak is also better than 80% water... a one pound
>steak cooked to medium rare will weigh about twelve ounces, and then
>with 4 ounces of bone, fat and gristle left on the plate it's really
>not a lot of meat. I have to laugh at those who claim to eat 4-6 oz
>child's portion steaks but have no problem polishing off a large pile
>of heavily breaded greasy fried chicken.
>For tonight's dinner London broil, top round, USDA Choice, 1.3 lbs, at
>$3.49/lb, total $4.57. It's not a lot nor did it cost a lot for two
>people and some for cats... along with a qt container of kasha
>varnishkas I defrosted... just need to choose a veggie, I think the
>last of a huge bag of frozen chopped spinach. Top round when on sale
>is a bargain, it's usually $7.49/lb... it contains very little waste
>(actually none), when on sale I stock up, some I grind, makes great
>burgers.
>
>===
>
>I eat a lot of steak and my portion is always what you call a 'child size'.
>I like it with a lot of salad and I couldn't eat more.

We don't eat steak often but when we do we like an adult portion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> but >>> they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or
> more a >>> serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than
> that at many >>> places.
> > >
> > > A protiesm starch, and veggie? Maybe a bowl of soup.

> > Not talking about eating out there Ed.
> >
> > > Aside from fast food or a slice of pizza I don't know of any place
> > > around here where you can get a meal for $8. Some of the chains
> > > like Applebees and Chilis have a 2 for $20 deal, but by the time
> > > you add in a beverage and tip you are about $30+

> > > Agree you can do a lot with $3,

> > Here's some real basics. Hard NOT to find here.
> >
> > 16oz frozen veggies, birdseye, hanover hills, local store brand:
> > 5/5$ (or less), 50 cents a serving but we eat a lot of veggies
> >
> > 2lb loaf bread home made, 45cents total (18 servings or 2 cents
> > each)
> >
> > 28oz tomato canned (stewed, crushed, sauce etc) 1-1.25 each (sales
> > constant). Generally 7 servings at abut 20 cents each.
> >
> > Pasta (maybe 5cents) with 5.99lb shrimp (4oz each for 1.50 each).
> > 2.25 each unless I missed something.

> 5 cents for pasta? I can't even make it for that. Not even with cheap
> white flour. Prices must be far cheaper where you live.

Need to look a little harder then Julie. Barilla is on sale here every
2 months at 5/5$ for a 1lb box (limit 10). Other store brands are .67
for 2lbs and that's 33cents a lb. At 4oz each you get 8cents a lb but
we eat less than 1/4LB pasta each at a meal. 5 cents is about right.

I'll add that rice noodle in bulk runs about 3cents and would be more
common here as a 'pasta'. If it helps, the Barilla would be about
20cents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2017 9:16 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-24 11:06 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:27:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I was not talking about a buffet place. I mentioned a steakhouse
>>> where they
>>> serve 2 pound steaks. To see someone eating that and getting sick while
>>> eating it is just not something pleasant to me.

>> You're kidding, right? Someone is in a restaurant and they are barfing
>> while eating their dinner?
>>

> When Julie returned after her hiatus she was quite restrained in her
> posting. She seems to be reverting to he old style or churning our posts
> and filling them with lies.

We're back to the same old thing. Stories that are unbelievable. 24 oz.
steak at a steak house isn't unusual. Would I order one? No. Do I
believe she saw people getting sick while they were eating one? No. Do
I believe she makes up stuff to get attention? Yes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > When Julie returned after her hiatus she was quite restrained in
> > > her posting. She seems to be reverting to he old style or
> > > churning our posts and filling them with lies.

> > I noticed the same. I like her, but there was a spate where she had
> > felt a need to reply to every message made.
> >

> Therein lies most of the problem. Between her compulsive posting and
> the sisterhood of stupidity compulsively replying to attention
> seeking behaviour things got carried away.
>
> Cue the sisterhood to snipe at me for being obsessed with her, but,
> given the number of posts from her and the sisterhood, I am not the
> one with the obsession.

I could be wrong, but I think I found 5 of her messages with enough
interest to reply to. I sent many others to other people here.

Now I can always use my 'next key' but it got a little absurd that day
when it seemed like there were 40 posts from her of the toal 80 or near
that made?

I do like her, but I aint stupid when it gets over the top replies to
every single post made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message

> Now I can always use my 'next key' but it got a little absurd that day
> when it seemed like there were 40 posts from her of the toal 80 or near
> that made?
>
> I do like her, but I aint stupid when it gets over the top replies to
> every single post made.

Easy enough to skip if not wanting to read them and going on about them is
sort of over the top to me, I started skipping the FB account stuff with
you, sw, and Julie without commenting at the time, it wasn't hard. Julie is
an adult and she doesn't need people telling her when to post etc. Read her
or don't, the choice is yours.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 2017-07-24 11:06 PM, Doris Night wrote:

>> > You're kidding, right? Someone is in a restaurant and they are
>> > barfing while eating their dinner?
>> >

>> When Julie returned after her hiatus she was quite restrained in her
>> posting. She seems to be reverting to he old style or churning our
>> posts and filling them with lies.

> I noticed the same. I like her, but there was a spate where she had
> felt a need to reply to *every* message made.

That is totally untrue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> When Julie returned after her hiatus she was quite restrained in her
>>> posting. She seems to be reverting to he old style or churning our
>>> posts and filling them with lies.

>> I noticed the same. I like her, but there was a spate where she had
>> felt a need to reply to *every* message made.
>>

> Therein lies most of the problem. Between her compulsive posting and the
> sisterhood of stupidity compulsively replying to attention seeking
> behaviour things got carried away.
>
> Cue the sisterhood to snipe at me for being obsessed with her, but, given
> the number of posts from her and the sisterhood, I am not the one with the
> obsession.

You are obsessed with me Dave. Not sure why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> but >>> they jack the price way up and it's pretty pitiful at 8$ or
>> more a >>> serving for a single meal. I can eat out for less than
>> that at many >>> places.

>> > Not talking about eating out there Ed.

>> > Here's some real basics. Hard NOT to find here.
>> >
>> > 16oz frozen veggies, birdseye, hanover hills, local store brand:
>> > 5/5$ (or less), 50 cents a serving but we eat a lot of veggies
>> >
>> > 2lb loaf bread home made, 45cents total (18 servings or 2 cents
>> > each)
>> >
>> > 28oz tomato canned (stewed, crushed, sauce etc) 1-1.25 each (sales
>> > constant). Generally 7 servings at abut 20 cents each.
>> >
>> > Pasta (maybe 5cents) with 5.99lb shrimp (4oz each for 1.50 each).
>> > 2.25 each unless I missed something.

>> 5 cents for pasta? I can't even make it for that. Not even with cheap
>> white flour. Prices must be far cheaper where you live.

> Need to look a little harder then Julie. Barilla is on sale here every
> 2 months at 5/5$ for a 1lb box (limit 10). Other store brands are .67
> for 2lbs and that's 33cents a lb. At 4oz each you get 8cents a lb but
> we eat less than 1/4LB pasta each at a meal. 5 cents is about right.

Nothing is that cheap here. Even if that price is right for Barilla, that
would make it $1.00 per box. I never buy Barilla because it may contain
eggs, which I can't have. Plus I don't like their policies. But assuming
that price is true, there would have to be 20 servings in a box to make it 5
cents per person. The past that I buy usually has 4-6 servings per bag or
box. Sometimes 8 servings. Cheap pasta is not something I'm interested in. I
like quality pasta. I do look for good prices. I can get good stuff at
Costco and Big Lots. I know I could get really cheap macaroni if I bought a
huge bag or even bulk, somewhere. And I suppose I might do that sometime if
I were feeding a crowd. But if I'm eating it, I want the good stuff. I grew
up on cheap, overcooked pasta. Ick.

> I'll add that rice noodle in bulk runs about 3cents and would be more
> common here as a 'pasta'. If it helps, the Barilla would be about
> 20cents.

If you want to buy a Costco sized package of Ramen or you get a good deal at
Big Lots, you might come out to 5 cents per serving. But Ramen isn't what we
eat.

For as much as I do like a good deal, my life isn't all about cheap. But I
noticed that you keep changing your prices. So no clue what those prices
relate to. I had assumed per serving.