Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Abbrevations

I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the following:

md (parships, leeks, garlic)
bn (parsley)
sm (carrots)
pk (chicken breast)
lg (chicken breast, onion)
ea (apples)
pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
cn (soup)

Can somebody help me with this?

--

Regards,

Gerard Schaefers

Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl
Homepage in Dutch, English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu

RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 14:00:27 +0200, Sjeef
> wrote:

>I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the following:
>
>md (parships, leeks, garlic)

medium/middelgroot?

>bn (parsley)

bunch/bosje?

>sm (carrots)

small/klein

>pk (chicken breast)

pack(et)?

>lg (chicken breast, onion)

large/groot

>ea (apples)

each/stuk(s)

>pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.

I think so too.

>cn (soup)

can/blik
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 5:00 AM, Sjeef wrote:
> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the following:
>
> md (parships, leeks, garlic)
> bn (parsley)
> sm (carrots)
> pk (chicken breast)
> lg (chicken breast, onion)
> ea (apples)
> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
> cn (soup)
>
> Can somebody help me with this?

medium
bunch
small
package
large
each
inch
can

are you serious?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 5:45 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 7/22/2017 5:00 AM, Sjeef wrote:
>> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the following:
>>
>> md (parships, leeks, garlic)
>> bn (parsley)
>> sm (carrots)
>> pk (chicken breast)
>> lg (chicken breast, onion)
>> ea (apples)
>> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
>> cn (soup)
>>
>> Can somebody help me with this?
>>

> medium
> bunch
> small
> package
> large
> each
> inch
> can
>

> are you serious?

sorry, didn't notice the .nl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 6:45 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 7/22/2017 5:00 AM, Sjeef wrote:
>> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the
>> following:
>>
>> md (parships, leeks, garlic)
>> bn (parsley)
>> sm (carrots)
>> pk (chicken breast)
>> lg (chicken breast, onion)
>> ea (apples)
>> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
>> cn (soup)
>>
>> Can somebody help me with this?
>>

> medium
> bunch
> small
> package
> large
> each
> inch It's pinch!
> can
>

> are you serious?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 12:40:35 +0000, Bruce said:

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 14:00:27 +0200, Sjeef
> > wrote:
>
>> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the following:
>>
>> md (parships, leeks, garlic)

> medium/middelgroot?
>
>> bn (parsley)

> bunch/bosje?
>
>> sm (carrots)

> small/klein
>
>> pk (chicken breast)

> pack(et)?
>
>> lg (chicken breast, onion)

> large/groot
>
>> ea (apples)

> each/stuk(s)
>

>> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.

> I think so too.
>
>> cn (soup)

> can/blik

Thanks Bruce, also for the extra translation service.

--

Regards,

Gerard Schaefers

Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl
Homepage in Dutch, English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu

RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 12:45:03 +0000, Taxed and Spent said:

> On 7/22/2017 5:00 AM, Sjeef wrote:
>> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the following:
>>
>> md (parships, leeks, garlic)
>> bn (parsley)
>> sm (carrots)
>> pk (chicken breast)
>> lg (chicken breast, onion)
>> ea (apples)
>> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
>> cn (soup)
>>
>> Can somebody help me with this?
>>

> medium
> bunch
> small
> package
> large
> each
> inch
> can
>

> are you serious?

I hope so. ;-)

--

Regards,

Gerard Schaefers

Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl
Homepage in Dutch, English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu

RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 8:00 AM, Sjeef wrote:
> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the
> following:
>
> md (parships, leeks, garlic)
> bn (parsley)
> sm (carrots)
> pk (chicken breast)
> lg (chicken breast, onion)
> ea (apples)
> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
> cn (soup)
>
> Can somebody help me with this?

Beats the heck out of me. I have never seen any of them. Try recipes
that are written out properly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 8:46 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 7/22/2017 5:45 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> On 7/22/2017 5:00 AM, Sjeef wrote:
>>> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> md (parships, leeks, garlic)
>>> bn (parsley)
>>> sm (carrots)
>>> pk (chicken breast)
>>> lg (chicken breast, onion)
>>> ea (apples)
>>> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
>>> cn (soup)
>>>
>>> Can somebody help me with this?
>>>

>> medium
>> bunch
>> small
>> package
>> large
>> each
>> inch
>> can
>>

>> are you serious?
>>

> sorry, didn't notice the .nl

Maybe you should have asked the OP for a link to recipes that actually
use those figures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 13:45:04 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> On 2017-07-22 8:00 AM, Sjeef wrote:
>> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the following:
>>
>> md (parships, leeks, garlic)
>> bn (parsley)
>> sm (carrots)
>> pk (chicken breast)
>> lg (chicken breast, onion)
>> ea (apples)
>> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
>> cn (soup)
>>
>> Can somebody help me with this?
>>

> Beats the heck out of me. I have never seen any of them. Try recipes
> that are written out properly.

In that case you can learn something from the other more serious answers.

--

Regards,

Gerard Schaefers

Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl
Homepage in Dutch, English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu

RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 9:48 AM, Sjeef wrote:
> On 2017-07-22 13:45:04 +0000, Dave Smith said:
>

> On 2017-07-22 8:00 AM, Sjeef wrote:
>
> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the
> following:
>

> md (parships, leeks, garlic)
>
> bn (parsley)
>
> sm (carrots)
>
> pk (chicken breast)
>
> lg (chicken breast, onion)
>
> ea (apples)
>
> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
>
> cn (soup)
>

> Can somebody help me with this?
>

> Beats the heck out of me. I have never seen any of them. Try recipes
> that are written out properly.
>

> In that case you can learn something from the other more serious answers.

Do I really need to learn about the possible meanings that some people
have guessed at. All you got was speculative answers. I would like to
see an example of a recipe with those abbreviated quantities before I
take it seriously. One response suggested pk chicken meany package of
chicken. I can buy a package of chicken breast with just one breast. It
is more common to see them with two or three, but can also come in an
economy size with eight or more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sjeef wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the
> following:
>
> md (parships, leeks, garlic)
> bn (parsley)
> sm (carrots)
> pk (chicken breast)
> lg (chicken breast, onion)
> ea (apples)
> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
> cn (soup)
>
> Can somebody help me with this?

Hi Seef, A lot of those relate to an older software called MealMaster
(now sold to a new place but the origional is freeware now)

It had a 2 digit field for amount and did wierd line wraps if you left
that empty.

> md (parships, leeks, garlic)- Medium sized
> bn (parsley) - bunch, sorry, variable amount, I'd say 1/4cup chopped
> sm (carrots) - small sized carrots, apt to be 1/2-3/4inch across
> pk (chicken breast) - now that is evil. 'Pack', probably means 4
> lg (chicken breast, onion) - Large
> ea (apples) -each. This is a pure filler for the 2 digit field
> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure. Yes, pinch
> cn (soup) - Can (would not be a supersize sort, normal home sized

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/22/2017 5:45 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> > On 7/22/2017 5:00 AM, Sjeef wrote:
> > > I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for
> > > the following:
> > >
> > > md (parships, leeks, garlic)
> > > bn (parsley)
> > > sm (carrots)
> > > pk (chicken breast)
> > > lg (chicken breast, onion)
> > > ea (apples)
> > > pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
> > > cn (soup)
> > >
> > > Can somebody help me with this?
> > >

> > medium
> > bunch
> > small
> > package
> > large
> > each
> > inch
> > can
> >

> > are you serious?
> >

> sorry, didn't notice the .nl

It happens and some of that can be pretty obscure in translation.

The first big software used for recipes at home on the computer was
MealMaster. It was later bought out by a company that wanted the name
but that was some 10 years or so later (I think).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-07-22 9:48 AM, Sjeef wrote:
> > On 2017-07-22 13:45:04 +0000, Dave Smith said:
> >

> > On 2017-07-22 8:00 AM, Sjeef wrote:
> >
> > I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for
> > the following:
> >

> > md (parships, leeks, garlic)
> >
> > bn (parsley)
> >
> > sm (carrots)
> >
> > pk (chicken breast)
> >
> > lg (chicken breast, onion)
> >
> > ea (apples)
> >
> > pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
> >
> > cn (soup)
> >

> > Can somebody help me with this?
> >

> > Beats the heck out of me. I have never seen any of them. Try
> > recipes that are written out properly.
> >

> > In that case you can learn something from the other more serious
> > answers.
> >

> Do I really need to learn about the possible meanings that some
> people have guessed at. All you got was speculative answers. I would
> like to see an example of a recipe with those abbreviated quantities
> before I take it seriously. One response suggested pk chicken meany
> package of chicken. I can buy a package of chicken breast with just
> one breast. It is more common to see them with two or three, but can
> also come in an economy size with eight or more.

I wouldnt worry too much on the 'PK'. It's apt to be used in more of a
standard weight sold by 'pack' than how many.

Generally around here it's 2 or 4. The weight is fairly close though
at 1.5-2lbs chicken breast. You get 2 large (higher price) or 4 small
(lower price). A properly written recipe would have used LB instead
and said how much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 14:00:27 +0200, Sjeef
> wrote:

>I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the following:
>
>md (parships, leeks, garlic)
>bn (parsley)
>sm (carrots)
>pk (chicken breast)
>lg (chicken breast, onion)
>ea (apples)
>pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
>cn (soup)
>
>Can somebody help me with this?

medium
bunch
small
pack - or package (this one is iffy because packages change over time.
"package" in a recipe comes from some home cook passing along the way
she made something.

large
each
pinch
can (another home cook passing on a personal recipe)

Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 11:29 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> medium
>>> bunch
>>> small
>>> package
>>> large
>>> each
>>> inch
>>> can
>>>

>>> are you serious?

Absolutely serious. I'd guess the OP (sjeef) never read an old American
cookbook.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 5:00:56 AM UTC-7, Sjeef wrote:
> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the following:
>
> md (parships, leeks, garlic)

medium dice

> bn (parsley)

bunch
> sm (carrots)

small

> pk (chicken breast)

package

> lg (chicken breast, onion)

large

> ea (apples)

each

> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.

correct, pinch

> cn (soup)

can

> Can somebody help me with this?
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Gerard Schaefers
>
> Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl
> Homepage in Dutch, English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu
>
> RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 15:24:47 +0000, cshenk said:

> Sjeef wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the
>> following:
>>
>> md (parships, leeks, garlic)
>> bn (parsley)
>> sm (carrots)
>> pk (chicken breast)
>> lg (chicken breast, onion)
>> ea (apples)
>> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
>> cn (soup)
>>
>> Can somebody help me with this?

> Hi Seef, A lot of those relate to an older software called MealMaster
> (now sold to a new place but the origional is freeware now)
>
> It had a 2 digit field for amount and did wierd line wraps if you left
> that empty.
>
>> md (parships, leeks, garlic)- Medium sized
>> bn (parsley) - bunch, sorry, variable amount, I'd say 1/4cup chopped
>> sm (carrots) - small sized carrots, apt to be 1/2-3/4inch across
>> pk (chicken breast) - now that is evil. 'Pack', probably means 4
>> lg (chicken breast, onion) - Large
>> ea (apples) -each. This is a pure filler for the 2 digit field
>> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure. Yes, pinch
>> cn (soup) - Can (would not be a supersize sort, normal home sized

Thanks Dave for the explanation.
I've tried to find the cookbook for more information but I think that
the recipe is from a recipe program.
But with all the information I now have become I translate the recipes
in Dutch with the proper amounts used.
Thanks to you all in this newsgroup.

--

Regards,

Gerard Schaefers

Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl
Homepage in Dutch, English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu

RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 16:04:22 +0000, jmcquown said:

> On 7/22/2017 11:29 AM, cshenk wrote:
>> Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Absolutely serious. I'd guess the OP (sjeef) never read an old
> American cookbook.
>
> Jill

Your guess is alas wrong, Jill.
In the old American cookbooks I've have I tried to find an explanation
for the abbrevations.
But in these cookbooks are no abbrevations, only the full units ar mentioned.
Thats why I asked for help.

--

Regards,

Gerard Schaefers

Recipes in Dutch - https://www.sjeef.nl
Homepage in Dutch, English, German and Spanish - https://www.sjeef.eu

RSS - https://www.sjeef.nl/Recepten/rssfeed.xml
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sjeef wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-07-22 15:24:47 +0000, cshenk said:
>
> > Sjeef wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for
> > > the following:
> > >
> > > md (parships, leeks, garlic)
> > > bn (parsley)
> > > sm (carrots)
> > > pk (chicken breast)
> > > lg (chicken breast, onion)
> > > ea (apples)
> > > pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
> > > cn (soup)
> > >
> > > Can somebody help me with this?

> > Hi Seef, A lot of those relate to an older software called
> > MealMaster (now sold to a new place but the origional is freeware
> > now)
> >
> > It had a 2 digit field for amount and did wierd line wraps if you
> > left that empty.
> >
> > > md (parships, leeks, garlic)- Medium sized
> > > bn (parsley) - bunch, sorry, variable amount, I'd say 1/4cup
> > > chopped sm (carrots) - small sized carrots, apt to be 1/2-3/4inch
> > > across pk (chicken breast) - now that is evil. 'Pack', probably
> > > means 4 lg (chicken breast, onion) - Large ea (apples) -each.
> > > This is a pure filler for the 2 digit field pn (salt) I think
> > > it's pinch, but I am not sure. Yes, pinch cn (soup) - Can (would
> > > not be a supersize sort, normal home sized

> Thanks Dave for the explanation.
> I've tried to find the cookbook for more information but I think that
> the recipe is from a recipe program. But with all the information I
> now have become I translate the recipes in Dutch with the proper
> amounts used. Thanks to you all in this newsgroup.

LOL, nane is Carol and welcome. I wasn't the only one to answer. I
just added why the 2digit bit was there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/22/2017 11:29 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Absolutely serious. I'd guess the OP (sjeef) never read an old
> American cookbook.
>
> Jill

Possibly not but he's from the Netherlands so that would not be unusual
I think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sjeef wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-07-22 16:04:22 +0000, jmcquown said:

> > Absolutely serious. I'd guess the OP (sjeef) never read an old
> > American cookbook.
> >
> > Jill

> Your guess is alas wrong, Jill.
> In the old American cookbooks I've have I tried to find an
> explanation for the abbrevations. But in these cookbooks are no
> abbrevations, only the full units ar mentioned. Thats why I asked
> for help.

It's ok. Here's some classic MM format messages. You will note
outside of cookbooks, most look a bit like it.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Brie, Pepper, Onion soda bread
Categories: Breads, Xxcarol
Yield: 6 Servings

2 c Flour, white all purpose
1 ts Salt
1/3 c Butter
1 c Slivered brie (or small bits
1/2 c Fine chopped onion
1 tb Black pepper
2/3 c Milk
1 tb Baking soda

Start with all the dry ingredients and mix them well in a large bowl.
Now add the butter (softened but not melted) and chop that into the
mix as well as you reasonably can. Add the remaining ingredients and
mix to a dough. Using a preheated oven (always preheat when making
bread or fish!) bake at 450 degrees for about 25 minutes.

You can actually use any cheese I can think of for this (if using
cottage cheese, add a bit more flour if it seems to 'wet') and you
may want to vary the spice used to match the cheese type. The onions
are optional.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol From: Date: 06-26-97
Cooking

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 2:41 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Sjeef wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Absolutely serious. I'd guess the OP (sjeef) never read an old
>>> American cookbook.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Your guess is alas wrong, Jill.
>> In the old American cookbooks I've have I tried to find an
>> explanation for the abbrevations. But in these cookbooks are no
>> abbrevations, only the full units ar mentioned. Thats why I asked
>> for help.

> It's ok. Here's some classic MM format messages. You will note
> outside of cookbooks, most look a bit like it.

Carol, you're the only person I know who still uses meal master recipe
software.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-07-22 9:48 AM, Sjeef wrote:
>> On 2017-07-22 13:45:04 +0000, Dave Smith said:
>>

>> On 2017-07-22 8:00 AM, Sjeef wrote:
>>
>> I've found several abbrevations in recipes but still looking for the
>> following:
>>

>> md (parships, leeks, garlic)
>>
>> bn (parsley)
>>
>> sm (carrots)
>>
>> pk (chicken breast)
>>
>> lg (chicken breast, onion)
>>
>> ea (apples)
>>
>> pn (salt) I think it's pinch, but I am not sure.
>>
>> cn (soup)
>>

>> Can somebody help me with this?
>>

>> Beats the heck out of me. I have never seen any of them. Try recipes that
>> are written out properly.
>>

>> In that case you can learn something from the other more serious answers.
>>

> Do I really need to learn about the possible meanings that some people
> have guessed at. All you got was speculative answers. I would like to see
> an example of a recipe with those abbreviated quantities before I take it
> seriously. One response suggested pk chicken meany package of chicken. I
> can buy a package of chicken breast with just one breast. It is more
> common to see them with two or three, but can also come in an economy size
> with eight or more.

That one and the can make no sense because you can get different sizes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/22/2017 2:41 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Sjeef wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Your guess is alas wrong, Jill.
> > > In the old American cookbooks I've have I tried to find an
> > > explanation for the abbrevations. But in these cookbooks are no
> > > abbrevations, only the full units ar mentioned. Thats why I asked
> > > for help.

> > It's ok. Here's some classic MM format messages. You will note
> > outside of cookbooks, most look a bit like it.
> >

> Carol, you're the only person I know who still uses meal master
> recipe software.
>
> Jill

Maybe, but it came in handy to answer a question.