Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy little accident!

Cooked up my last bag of pinto beans. Even though they said they were best
by some month in 2014, they cooked far faster than the 1.5 hours or more as
stated on the package. They were done in less than an hour. At that point, I
added a red and green bell pepper, large white onion, a little jalapeno (all
chopped), salt, pepper, cilantro and Adobo seasoning.

Next time I do this, I will leave the lid off. I was advised by the owner of
a Mexican restaurant to add as much water as possible. I did do this but had
too much liquid left for what I wanted. I spooned off as much liquid as I
could and cooked it down in another pan while I let the additional veggies
cook. Also added a drizzle of olive oil to each pan.

And then I didn't get back to the kitchen in time. The pot of beans had
begun to scorch. Not a biggie. By then, the other pan had cooked down quite
nicely. I just spooned the beans into the liquid, being careful not to get
the scorched bits. I only lost maybe 1/2 a cup due to scorching and it
cleaned out of the pan in a jiffy.

I was going to eat the beans with tortillas but they were a bit soupier than
I wanted, so I partially mashed them with a potato masher, cooked them down
a but more then added some shredded cheddar. And... Bean dip! Good stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shucks...when I saw the subject line I was hoping for something like "the rubber broke and now I'm knocked up..."

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Cooked up my last bag of pinto beans. Even though they said they were
> best by some month in 2014, they cooked far faster than the 1.5 hours
> or more as stated on the package. They were done in less than an
> hour. At that point, I added a red and green bell pepper, large white
> onion, a little jalapeno (all chopped), salt, pepper, cilantro and
> Adobo seasoning.
>
> Next time I do this, I will leave the lid off. I was advised by the
> owner of a Mexican restaurant to add as much water as possible. I did
> do this but had too much liquid left for what I wanted. I spooned off
> as much liquid as I could and cooked it down in another pan while I
> let the additional veggies cook. Also added a drizzle of olive oil to
> each pan.
>
> And then I didn't get back to the kitchen in time. The pot of beans
> had begun to scorch. Not a biggie. By then, the other pan had cooked
> down quite nicely. I just spooned the beans into the liquid, being
> careful not to get the scorched bits. I only lost maybe 1/2 a cup due
> to scorching and it cleaned out of the pan in a jiffy.
>
> I was going to eat the beans with tortillas but they were a bit
> soupier than I wanted, so I partially mashed them with a potato
> masher, cooked them down a but more then added some shredded cheddar.
> And... Bean dip! Good stuff.

LOL! I love accidents that work out well!