Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brits and lemonade stands

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40679075

A five-year-old girl was fined £150 by a council for selling 50p cups of
lemonade to festival goers.
The girl's father Andre Spicer said his daughter had set up the stall in
Mile End, east London, while thousands of music fans were on their way
to the Lovebox Festival at the weekend.
Mr Spicer said his daughter burst into tears and told him "I've done a
bad thing".
Tower Hamlets Council has since cancelled the fine and apologised.
FineImage copyrightANDRE SPICER
Image caption
The girl was fined for trading without a licence
Mr Spicer said his daughter loved the idea of setting up a stall near
their home.
"She just wanted to put a smile on people's faces. She was really proud
of herself," he said.
"But after a small time trading, four enforcement officers walked over
from the other side of the road.
"I was quite shocked. I thought that they would just tell us to pack up
and go home.
"But they turned on their mobile camera and began reading from a big
script explaining that she did not have a trading licence.
"My daughter clung to me screaming 'Daddy, Daddy, I've done a bad
thing.' She's five.
"We were then issued a fine of £150. We packed up and walked home."
A council spokesman said: "We are very sorry that this has happened. We
expect our enforcement officers to show common sense and to use their
powers sensibly.
"This clearly did not happen.
"The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer
and his daughter to apologise."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 5:27:13 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40679075
>
> A five-year-old girl was fined £150 by a council for selling 50p cups of
> lemonade to festival goers.
> The girl's father Andre Spicer said his daughter had set up the stall in
> Mile End, east London, while thousands of music fans were on their way
> to the Lovebox Festival at the weekend.
> Mr Spicer said his daughter burst into tears and told him "I've done a
> bad thing".
> Tower Hamlets Council has since cancelled the fine and apologised.
> FineImage copyrightANDRE SPICER
> Image caption
> The girl was fined for trading without a licence
> Mr Spicer said his daughter loved the idea of setting up a stall near
> their home.
> "She just wanted to put a smile on people's faces. She was really proud
> of herself," he said.
> "But after a small time trading, four enforcement officers walked over
> from the other side of the road.
> "I was quite shocked. I thought that they would just tell us to pack up
> and go home.
> "But they turned on their mobile camera and began reading from a big
> script explaining that she did not have a trading licence.
> "My daughter clung to me screaming 'Daddy, Daddy, I've done a bad
> thing.' She's five.
> "We were then issued a fine of £150. We packed up and walked home."
> A council spokesman said: "We are very sorry that this has happened. We
> expect our enforcement officers to show common sense and to use their
> powers sensibly.
> "This clearly did not happen.
> "The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer
> and his daughter to apologise."

It's probably best to look on the bright side of things - at least they didn't draw their weapons and blast the little dear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 23:27:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40679075
>
>A five-year-old girl was fined £150 by a council for selling 50p cups of
>lemonade to festival goers.
>The girl's father Andre Spicer said his daughter had set up the stall in
>Mile End, east London, while thousands of music fans were on their way
>to the Lovebox Festival at the weekend.
>Mr Spicer said his daughter burst into tears and told him "I've done a
>bad thing".
>Tower Hamlets Council has since cancelled the fine and apologised.
>FineImage copyrightANDRE SPICER
>Image caption
>The girl was fined for trading without a licence
>Mr Spicer said his daughter loved the idea of setting up a stall near
>their home.
>"She just wanted to put a smile on people's faces. She was really proud
>of herself," he said.
>"But after a small time trading, four enforcement officers walked over
>from the other side of the road.
>"I was quite shocked. I thought that they would just tell us to pack up
>and go home.
>"But they turned on their mobile camera and began reading from a big
>script explaining that she did not have a trading licence.
>"My daughter clung to me screaming 'Daddy, Daddy, I've done a bad
>thing.' She's five.
>"We were then issued a fine of £150. We packed up and walked home."
>A council spokesman said: "We are very sorry that this has happened. We
>expect our enforcement officers to show common sense and to use their
>powers sensibly.
>"This clearly did not happen.
>"The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer
>and his daughter to apologise."

<Janet UK>
It was a beautiful English summer's day. Everybody was singing
authentic English folk songs, holding hands and smiling at each other.
All the rest is fake news.
</Janet UK>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

[...]

==

Stupid idiots! At least she got an apology and no fine.

Yes I read about it in our papers. I doubt those 'enforcement officers'
will try anything like that again!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 6:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
> "The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer
> and his daughter to apologise."
>
> ==
>
> Stupid idiots! At least she got an apology and no fine.
>
> Yes I read about it in our papers. I doubt those 'enforcement officers'
> will try anything like that again!

At least here in the USA that would be grounds for a good lawsuit.
Traumatizing a 5 year old girl for running a lemonade stand without a
license.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 23:27:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40679075
>
>A five-year-old girl was fined £150 by a council for selling 50p cups of
>lemonade to festival goers.
>The girl's father Andre Spicer said his daughter had set up the stall in
>Mile End, east London, while thousands of music fans were on their way
>to the Lovebox Festival at the weekend.
>Mr Spicer said his daughter burst into tears and told him "I've done a
>bad thing".
>Tower Hamlets Council has since cancelled the fine and apologised.
>FineImage copyrightANDRE SPICER
>Image caption
>The girl was fined for trading without a licence
>Mr Spicer said his daughter loved the idea of setting up a stall near
>their home.
>"She just wanted to put a smile on people's faces. She was really proud
>of herself," he said.
>"But after a small time trading, four enforcement officers walked over
>from the other side of the road.
>"I was quite shocked. I thought that they would just tell us to pack up
>and go home.
>"But they turned on their mobile camera and began reading from a big
>script explaining that she did not have a trading licence.
>"My daughter clung to me screaming 'Daddy, Daddy, I've done a bad
>thing.' She's five.
>"We were then issued a fine of £150. We packed up and walked home."
>A council spokesman said: "We are very sorry that this has happened. We
>expect our enforcement officers to show common sense and to use their
>powers sensibly.
>"This clearly did not happen.
>"The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer
>and his daughter to apologise."

I heard that item too but I found it noticeable they only required
their enforcement officers to show common sense if whatever they did
became public ridicule
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 20:32:47 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 5:27:13 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40679075
>>
>> A five-year-old girl was fined £150 by a council for selling 50p cups of
>> lemonade to festival goers.
>> The girl's father Andre Spicer said his daughter had set up the stall in
>> Mile End, east London, while thousands of music fans were on their way
>> to the Lovebox Festival at the weekend.
>> Mr Spicer said his daughter burst into tears and told him "I've done a
>> bad thing".
>> Tower Hamlets Council has since cancelled the fine and apologised.
>> FineImage copyrightANDRE SPICER
>> Image caption
>> The girl was fined for trading without a licence
>> Mr Spicer said his daughter loved the idea of setting up a stall near
>> their home.
>> "She just wanted to put a smile on people's faces. She was really proud
>> of herself," he said.
>> "But after a small time trading, four enforcement officers walked over
>> from the other side of the road.
>> "I was quite shocked. I thought that they would just tell us to pack up
>> and go home.
>> "But they turned on their mobile camera and began reading from a big
>> script explaining that she did not have a trading licence.
>> "My daughter clung to me screaming 'Daddy, Daddy, I've done a bad
>> thing.' She's five.
>> "We were then issued a fine of £150. We packed up and walked home."
>> A council spokesman said: "We are very sorry that this has happened. We
>> expect our enforcement officers to show common sense and to use their
>> powers sensibly.
>> "This clearly did not happen.
>> "The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer
>> and his daughter to apologise."

>It's probably best to look on the bright side of things - at least they didn't draw their weapons and blast the little dear.

They would not be armed!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 11:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40679075
>
> A five-year-old girl was fined £150 by a council for selling 50p cups of
> lemonade to festival goers.

Oh dear. That poor girl! A five year old can't get a license and I'm
sure her parents never gave it a thought. It was a small table with
some pitchers of lemonade. What's the problem? I'm glad they dropped
it. The whole thing sounds ridiculous. (It's not as if the parents
thought their 5 year old was going to rake in mega-bucks via a lemonade
stand.)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 7:18 AM, wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 20:32:47 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 5:27:13 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40679075

>>> A five-year-old girl was fined £150 by a council for selling 50p cups of
>>> lemonade to festival goers.
>>> The girl's father Andre Spicer said his daughter had set up the stall in
>>> Mile End, east London, while thousands of music fans were on their way
>>> to the Lovebox Festival at the weekend.
>>> Mr Spicer said his daughter burst into tears and told him "I've done a
>>> bad thing".
>>> Tower Hamlets Council has since cancelled the fine and apologised.

>> It's probably best to look on the bright side of things - at least they didn't draw their weapons and blast the little dear.

> They would not be armed!

No, they would not.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> At least here in the USA that would be grounds for a good lawsuit.
> Traumatizing a 5 year old girl for running a lemonade stand without a
> license.

There have been many cases of similar here in the US over the years. I don't
think the kid was necessarily traumatized but they were told that they
needed a business license.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 7:37 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/21/2017 11:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40679075
>>
>> A five-year-old girl was fined £150 by a council for selling 50p cups of
>> lemonade to festival goers.

> Oh dear. That poor girl! A five year old can't get a license and I'm
> sure her parents never gave it a thought. It was a small table with
> some pitchers of lemonade. What's the problem? I'm glad they dropped
> it. The whole thing sounds ridiculous. (It's not as if the parents
> thought their 5 year old was going to rake in mega-bucks via a lemonade
> stand.)
>
> Jill

Seems to happen every year. There was one recently where a Grumpy Old
Man called the police on a young girl Police came, each bought a
lemonade and had their photo take with the kid.

Years ago when they were small, our visiting granddaughters took a
pitcher of fresh made lemondage and set up in front of the house. We
get little traffic but the police cr that went by stopped and bought
some. It was from fresh squeezed lemons too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 7:09 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 7/22/2017 6:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
>> "The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer
>> and his daughter to apologise."
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Stupid idiots! At least she got an apology and no fine.
>>
>> Yes I read about it in our papers. I doubt those 'enforcement officers'
>> will try anything like that again!

> At least here in the USA that would be grounds for a good lawsuit.
> Traumatizing a 5 year old girl for running a lemonade stand without a
> license.

There seems to be a run of these stories lately. There was a similar
case in Ottawa where a kid was fined for operating a stand on Capital
Parks Commission land. Who knows what kind of interactions there had
been, whether they had been warned and persisted, if the parents stepped
in and got mouthy. Sure, it's cute for kids to show some initiative and
earn a little pocket money, but what happens if 500 other kids decide
they should do it too, or if they start selling hamburgers and hot dogs
and other perishables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 9:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-22 7:09 AM, Gary wrote:
>> On 7/22/2017 6:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
>>> "The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer
>>> and his daughter to apologise."
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Stupid idiots! At least she got an apology and no fine.
>>>
>>> Yes I read about it in our papers. I doubt those 'enforcement officers'
>>> will try anything like that again!

>> At least here in the USA that would be grounds for a good lawsuit.
>> Traumatizing a 5 year old girl for running a lemonade stand without a
>> license.
>>

> There seems to be a run of these stories lately. There was a similar
> case in Ottawa where a kid was fined for operating a stand on Capital
> Parks Commission land. Who knows what kind of interactions there had
> been, whether they had been warned and persisted, if the parents stepped
> in and got mouthy. Sure, it's cute for kids to show some initiative and
> earn a little pocket money, but what happens if 500 other kids decide
> they should do it too, or if they start selling hamburgers and hot dogs
> and other perishables.

Selling hamburgers and hot dogs does not equate with having a lemonade
stand.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 10:10 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/22/2017 9:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> At least here in the USA that would be grounds for a good lawsuit.
>>> Traumatizing a 5 year old girl for running a lemonade stand without a
>>> license.
>>>

>> There seems to be a run of these stories lately. There was a similar
>> case in Ottawa where a kid was fined for operating a stand on Capital
>> Parks Commission land. Who knows what kind of interactions there had
>> been, whether they had been warned and persisted, if the parents stepped
>> in and got mouthy. Sure, it's cute for kids to show some initiative and
>> earn a little pocket money, but what happens if 500 other kids decide
>> they should do it too, or if they start selling hamburgers and hot dogs
>> and other perishables.
>>

> Selling hamburgers and hot dogs does not equate with having a lemonade
> stand.

There is a line there somewhere?
How many children should be allowed to set up lemonade stands in a park?
First come first served?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 9:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-22 7:09 AM, Gary wrote:
>> On 7/22/2017 6:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
>>> "The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer
>>> and his daughter to apologise."
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Stupid idiots! At least she got an apology and no fine.
>>>
>>> Yes I read about it in our papers. I doubt those 'enforcement officers'
>>> will try anything like that again!

>> At least here in the USA that would be grounds for a good lawsuit.
>> Traumatizing a 5 year old girl for running a lemonade stand without a
>> license.
>>

> There seems to be a run of these stories lately. There was a similar
> case in Ottawa where a kid was fined for operating a stand on Capital
> Parks Commission land. Who knows what kind of interactions there had
> been, whether they had been warned and persisted, if the parents stepped
> in and got mouthy. Sure, it's cute for kids to show some initiative and
> earn a little pocket money, but what happens if 500 other kids decide
> they should do it too, or if they start selling hamburgers and hot dogs
> and other perishables.

So we should beat up on 5 year olds just in case? Maybe they will use
the proceeds to fund making a nuclear weapon.

You sound like the alarmist on the TV news. A car crashed in a
schoolyard in July at 2AM. Some idiot on the news always points out how
tragic it would have been on a school day with kids playing. Well, it
didn't so stop making up scenarios for shock value.

OTOH, if 500 kids show up selling hot dogs and burgers, it will be a
good lesson in capitalism and competition.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 10:27 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-22 10:10 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> There seems to be a run of these stories lately. There was a similar
>>> case in Ottawa where a kid was fined for operating a stand on Capital
>>> Parks Commission land. Who knows what kind of interactions there had
>>> been, whether they had been warned and persisted, if the parents stepped
>>> in and got mouthy. Sure, it's cute for kids to show some initiative and
>>> earn a little pocket money, but what happens if 500 other kids decide
>>> they should do it too, or if they start selling hamburgers and hot dogs
>>> and other perishables.
>>>

>> Selling hamburgers and hot dogs does not equate with having a lemonade
>> stand.
>>

> There is a line there somewhere?

Yes. Lemonade does not require cooking, electricity or grills. It's
lemons and water, sugar and one little girl.

> How many children should be allowed to set up lemonade stands in a park?
> First come first served?

As many children as people are willing to buy from on a hot day if
they're thirsty and they take the initiative.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 07:09:00 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 7/22/2017 6:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
>> "The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer
>> and his daughter to apologise."
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Stupid idiots! At least she got an apology and no fine.
>>
>> Yes I read about it in our papers. I doubt those 'enforcement officers'
>> will try anything like that again!

>At least here in the USA that would be grounds for a good lawsuit.
>Traumatizing a 5 year old girl for running a lemonade stand without a
>license.

There is at least one similar case every summer here in the US
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 1:18:31 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 20:32:47 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 5:27:13 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40679075
> >>
> >> A five-year-old girl was fined £150 by a council for selling 50p cups of
> >> lemonade to festival goers.
> >> The girl's father Andre Spicer said his daughter had set up the stall in
> >> Mile End, east London, while thousands of music fans were on their way
> >> to the Lovebox Festival at the weekend.
> >> Mr Spicer said his daughter burst into tears and told him "I've done a
> >> bad thing".
> >> Tower Hamlets Council has since cancelled the fine and apologised.
> >> FineImage copyrightANDRE SPICER
> >> Image caption
> >> The girl was fined for trading without a licence
> >> Mr Spicer said his daughter loved the idea of setting up a stall near
> >> their home.
> >> "She just wanted to put a smile on people's faces. She was really proud
> >> of herself," he said.
> >> "But after a small time trading, four enforcement officers walked over
> >> from the other side of the road.
> >> "I was quite shocked. I thought that they would just tell us to pack up
> >> and go home.
> >> "But they turned on their mobile camera and began reading from a big
> >> script explaining that she did not have a trading licence.
> >> "My daughter clung to me screaming 'Daddy, Daddy, I've done a bad
> >> thing.' She's five.
> >> "We were then issued a fine of £150. We packed up and walked home.."
> >> A council spokesman said: "We are very sorry that this has happened. We
> >> expect our enforcement officers to show common sense and to use their
> >> powers sensibly.
> >> "This clearly did not happen.
> >> "The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Mr Spicer
> >> and his daughter to apologise."

> >It's probably best to look on the bright side of things - at least they didn't draw their weapons and blast the little dear.

> They would not be armed!

That is correct.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/22/2017 9:35 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> At least here in the USA that would be grounds for a good lawsuit.
>>> Traumatizing a 5 year old girl for running a lemonade stand without a
>>> license.
>>>

>> There seems to be a run of these stories lately. There was a similar
>> case in Ottawa where a kid was fined for operating a stand on Capital
>> Parks Commission land. Who knows what kind of interactions there had
>> been, whether they had been warned and persisted, if the parents stepped
>> in and got mouthy. Sure, it's cute for kids to show some initiative and
>> earn a little pocket money, but what happens if 500 other kids decide
>> they should do it too, or if they start selling hamburgers and hot dogs
>> and other perishables.
>>

> Selling hamburgers and hot dogs does not equate with having a lemonade
> stand.

We never sold lemonade because it was expensive to make. We sold Koolaid or
Wylers. But we also sold cookies, candy, fruit, cheese or whatever we could
make, bake or pilfer from the kitchen. We only had a few neighbors on our
little street so if we did sell anything (which we usually did not), it was
to one of them.

green chile stands denver monkeydeskstand General Cooking 6 28-10-2010 01:01 AM
Pioneer Plasma Tv Stands [email protected] Baking 0 21-05-2009 05:46 AM
proposed chain pf taco stands Junior Chamber of Commerce Mexican Cooking 6 06-10-2006 05:15 PM
Cookbook Stands John MacDonald General 0 09-04-2005 05:16 PM
Corner Hamburger Stands So Cal Mike Fuhrman Restaurants 0 15-11-2004 05:40 PM