Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bakery closed -- as predicted

About six months ago there was an ad for a new bakery opening in the
town next to us. I read the ad and my wife and I figured it would be
gone in a few months.

Hours:
Closed Sunday
Closed Monday
Tuesday to Saturday 6:30 to 1:30

Unless it is a hobby, a business cannot sustain itself on those hours.
It is across the street from a Church and would probably get a lot of
customers after Mass.

She did make breakfast sandwiches and had coffee. They did not make
bread. The pastries were OK, nothing exceptional. The pies though,
were fantastic. The crust was nice and flaky, the filling was plentiful
and tasty, the price only $12.

I went this morning hoping to score a good pie. The place is closed,
some of the furnishings moved out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-21 9:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> About six months ago there was an ad for a new bakery opening in the
> town next to us. I read the ad and my wife and I figured it would be
> gone in a few months.
>
> Hours:
> Closed Sunday
> Closed Monday
> Tuesday to Saturday 6:30 to 1:30
>
> Unless it is a hobby, a business cannot sustain itself on those hours.
> It is across the street from a Church and would probably get a lot of
> customers after Mass.
>
> She did make breakfast sandwiches and had coffee. They did not make
> bread. The pastries were OK, nothing exceptional. The pies though,
> were fantastic. The crust was nice and flaky, the filling was plentiful
> and tasty, the price only $12.
>
> I went this morning hoping to score a good pie. The place is closed,
> some of the furnishings moved out.

Some people have no head for business!
I know of a former coffee bar in a small town on the west coast. It was
not doing very well financially so the owners increased the prices! It
soon went belly-up!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 8:28 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-07-21 9:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> About six months ago there was an ad for a new bakery opening in the
>> town next to us. I read the ad and my wife and I figured it would be
>> gone in a few months.
>>
>> Hours:
>> Closed Sunday
>> Closed Monday
>> Tuesday to Saturday 6:30 to 1:30
>>
>> Unless it is a hobby, a business cannot sustain itself on those hours.
>> It is across the street from a Church and would probably get a lot of
>> customers after Mass.
>>
>> She did make breakfast sandwiches and had coffee. They did not make
>> bread. The pastries were OK, nothing exceptional. The pies though,
>> were fantastic. The crust was nice and flaky, the filling was plentiful
>> and tasty, the price only $12.
>>
>> I went this morning hoping to score a good pie. The place is closed,
>> some of the furnishings moved out.

> Some people have no head for business!
> I know of a former coffee bar in a small town on the west coast. It was
> not doing very well financially so the owners increased the prices! It
> soon went belly-up!
> Graham

I guess they thought they were Apple.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> About six months ago there was an ad for a new bakery opening in the
> town next to us. I read the ad and my wife and I figured it would be
> gone in a few months.
>
> Hours:
> Closed Sunday
> Closed Monday
> Tuesday to Saturday 6:30 to 1:30
>
> Unless it is a hobby, a business cannot sustain itself on those hours.
> It is across the street from a Church and would probably get a lot of
> customers after Mass.
>
> She did make breakfast sandwiches and had coffee. They did not make
> bread. The pastries were OK, nothing exceptional. The pies though,
> were fantastic. The crust was nice and flaky, the filling was plentiful
> and tasty, the price only $12.
>
> I went this morning hoping to score a good pie. The place is closed,
> some of the furnishings moved out.

Sounds like the kind of bakery that could potentially survive selling
their pies to restaurants etc along with having their retail space.
Turns out for these folks though that their idea was only half baked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-21 11:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> About six months ago there was an ad for a new bakery opening in the
> town next to us. I read the ad and my wife and I figured it would be
> gone in a few months.
>
> Hours:
> Closed Sunday
> Closed Monday
> Tuesday to Saturday 6:30 to 1:30
>
> Unless it is a hobby, a business cannot sustain itself on those hours.
> It is across the street from a Church and would probably get a lot of
> customers after Mass.
>
> She did make breakfast sandwiches and had coffee. They did not make
> bread. The pastries were OK, nothing exceptional. The pies though,
> were fantastic. The crust was nice and flaky, the filling was plentiful
> and tasty, the price only $12.
>
> I went this morning hoping to score a good pie. The place is closed,
> some of the furnishings moved out.

My go to bakery has similar hours. He is open very early and usually
closes at 2:30, 4:00 on Fridays, 2:00 on Saturdays. He makes really good
bread. He also does a few types of tarts, squares and pastries.
However, the store is only a part of the business. He also has a
commercial business, preparing cakes, pastries etc. for restaurants and
caterers. He bakes only enough bread to sell that day. His regular
customers know his hours and make a point of being there in time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 12:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-21 11:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> About six months ago there was an ad for a new bakery opening in the
>> town next to us. I read the ad and my wife and I figured it would be
>> gone in a few months.
>>
>> Hours:
>> Closed Sunday
>> Closed Monday
>> Tuesday to Saturday 6:30 to 1:30
>>
>> Unless it is a hobby, a business cannot sustain itself on those hours.
>> It is across the street from a Church and would probably get a lot of
>> customers after Mass.
>>
>> She did make breakfast sandwiches and had coffee. They did not make
>> bread. The pastries were OK, nothing exceptional. The pies though,
>> were fantastic. The crust was nice and flaky, the filling was
>> plentiful and tasty, the price only $12.
>>
>> I went this morning hoping to score a good pie. The place is closed,
>> some of the furnishings moved out.

> My go to bakery has similar hours. He is open very early and usually
> closes at 2:30, 4:00 on Fridays, 2:00 on Saturdays. He makes really good
> bread. He also does a few types of tarts, squares and pastries.
> However, the store is only a part of the business. He also has a
> commercial business, preparing cakes, pastries etc. for restaurants and
> caterers. He bakes only enough bread to sell that day. His regular
> customers know his hours and make a point of being there in time.

I did not mention, this is not in a high traffic area either and parking
limited. My guess is the rent was cheap for that reason. Just not well
thought out.

We've had a few small bakeries close up over the years. One was very
good, but the owner got married, had a baby, sold it. The new owner was
not as good and being a stoner attracted a strange clientele.

The other problem in this area is not enough customers that demand a
high quality product. Too many people think the blah goods at the
supermarket is really good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 12:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> The other problem in this area is not enough customers that demand a
> high quality product. Too many people think the blah goods at the
> supermarket is really good.

In my travels, the supermarket bakery is fairly blah!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 6:50:18 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/21/2017 12:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2017-07-21 11:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> About six months ago there was an ad for a new bakery opening in the
> >> town next to us. I read the ad and my wife and I figured it would be
> >> gone in a few months.
> >>
> >> Hours:
> >> Closed Sunday
> >> Closed Monday
> >> Tuesday to Saturday 6:30 to 1:30
> >>
> >> Unless it is a hobby, a business cannot sustain itself on those hours.
> >> It is across the street from a Church and would probably get a lot of
> >> customers after Mass.
> >>
> >> She did make breakfast sandwiches and had coffee. They did not make
> >> bread. The pastries were OK, nothing exceptional. The pies though,
> >> were fantastic. The crust was nice and flaky, the filling was
> >> plentiful and tasty, the price only $12.
> >>
> >> I went this morning hoping to score a good pie. The place is closed,
> >> some of the furnishings moved out.

> > My go to bakery has similar hours. He is open very early and usually
> > closes at 2:30, 4:00 on Fridays, 2:00 on Saturdays. He makes really good
> > bread. He also does a few types of tarts, squares and pastries.
> > However, the store is only a part of the business. He also has a
> > commercial business, preparing cakes, pastries etc. for restaurants and
> > caterers. He bakes only enough bread to sell that day. His regular
> > customers know his hours and make a point of being there in time.
> >

> I did not mention, this is not in a high traffic area either and parking
> limited. My guess is the rent was cheap for that reason. Just not well
> thought out.
>
> We've had a few small bakeries close up over the years. One was very
> good, but the owner got married, had a baby, sold it. The new owner was
> not as good and being a stoner attracted a strange clientele.
>
> The other problem in this area is not enough customers that demand a
> high quality product. Too many people think the blah goods at the
> supermarket is really good.

We have two bakeries in this town. They have been in business forever. The strange thing is that they're located next to each other. The idea of opening another bakery here to compete with them seems to be a bad idea. Both of them sell local style items i.e., nothing fancy.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/delu...y-shop-kaneohe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 6:50:18 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > > My go to bakery has similar hours. He is open very early and usually
> > > closes at 2:30, 4:00 on Fridays, 2:00 on Saturdays. He makes really good
> > > bread. He also does a few types of tarts, squares and pastries.
> > > However, the store is only a part of the business. He also has a
> > > commercial business, preparing cakes, pastries etc. for restaurants and
> > > caterers. He bakes only enough bread to sell that day. His regular
> > > customers know his hours and make a point of being there in time.
> > >

> > I did not mention, this is not in a high traffic area either and parking
> > limited. My guess is the rent was cheap for that reason. Just not well
> > thought out.
> >
> > We've had a few small bakeries close up over the years. One was very
> > good, but the owner got married, had a baby, sold it. The new owner was
> > not as good and being a stoner attracted a strange clientele.
> >
> > The other problem in this area is not enough customers that demand a
> > high quality product. Too many people think the blah goods at the
> > supermarket is really good.

> We have two bakeries in this town. They have been in business forever. The strange thing is that they're located next to each other. The idea of opening another bakery here to compete with them seems to be a bad idea. Both of them sell local style items i.e., nothing fancy.
>
> https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/delu...y-shop-kaneohe

I just bought a Hawaiian coffee cake at my local bakery (Evanston IL)...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 8:04:20 AM UTC-10, The Greatest! wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > I did not mention, this is not in a high traffic area either and parking
> > > limited. My guess is the rent was cheap for that reason. Just not well
> > > thought out.
> > >
> > > We've had a few small bakeries close up over the years. One was very
> > > good, but the owner got married, had a baby, sold it. The new owner was
> > > not as good and being a stoner attracted a strange clientele.
> > >
> > > The other problem in this area is not enough customers that demand a
> > > high quality product. Too many people think the blah goods at the
> > > supermarket is really good.

> > We have two bakeries in this town. They have been in business forever. The strange thing is that they're located next to each other. The idea of opening another bakery here to compete with them seems to be a bad idea. Both of them sell local style items i.e., nothing fancy.
> >
> > https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/delu...y-shop-kaneohe

> I just bought a Hawaiian coffee cake at my local bakery (Evanston IL)...
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

That sounds pretty good. What's in it? All we got is regular coffee cake here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 8:04:20 AM UTC-10, The Greatest! wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > We have two bakeries in this town. They have been in business forever.. The strange thing is that they're located next to each other. The idea of opening another bakery here to compete with them seems to be a bad idea. Both of them sell local style items i.e., nothing fancy.
> > >
> > > https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/delu...y-shop-kaneohe

> > I just bought a Hawaiian coffee cake at my local bakery (Evanston IL)....
> >

> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> That sounds pretty good. What's in it? All we got is regular coffee cake here.

There is pineapple, macadamia nuts, some coconut flakes...it's very good.

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 8:33:48 AM UTC-10, The Greatest! wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > I just bought a Hawaiian coffee cake at my local bakery (Evanston IL)....
> > >

> > > --
> > > Best
> > > Greg

> > That sounds pretty good. What's in it? All we got is regular coffee cake here.

> There is pineapple, macadamia nuts, some coconut flakes...it's very good.
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Hoo boy! Just thinking about that makes me happy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-21 12:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/21/2017 12:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-07-21 11:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> About six months ago there was an ad for a new bakery opening in the
>>> town next to us. I read the ad and my wife and I figured it would be
>>> gone in a few months.
>>>
>>> Hours:
>>> Closed Sunday
>>> Closed Monday
>>> Tuesday to Saturday 6:30 to 1:30
>>>
>>> Unless it is a hobby, a business cannot sustain itself on those
>>> hours. It is across the street from a Church and would probably get a
>>> lot of customers after Mass.
>>>
>>> She did make breakfast sandwiches and had coffee. They did not make
>>> bread. The pastries were OK, nothing exceptional. The pies though,
>>> were fantastic. The crust was nice and flaky, the filling was
>>> plentiful and tasty, the price only $12.
>>>
>>> I went this morning hoping to score a good pie. The place is closed,
>>> some of the furnishings moved out.

>> My go to bakery has similar hours. He is open very early and usually
>> closes at 2:30, 4:00 on Fridays, 2:00 on Saturdays. He makes really
>> good bread. He also does a few types of tarts, squares and pastries.
>> However, the store is only a part of the business. He also has a
>> commercial business, preparing cakes, pastries etc. for restaurants
>> and caterers. He bakes only enough bread to sell that day. His
>> regular customers know his hours and make a point of being there in time.
>>

> I did not mention, this is not in a high traffic area either and parking
> limited. My guess is the rent was cheap for that reason. Just not well
> thought out.

Our guy is on a very busy street but with limited parking, and no easy
crossing for pedestrians. Given the small number of loaves he seems to
make, I imagine that his bread and butter is the commercial side of it.

> We've had a few small bakeries close up over the years. One was very
> good, but the owner got married, had a baby, sold it. The new owner was
> not as good and being a stoner attracted a strange clientele.

There was one in Port Colborne, Judy's, that was okay for breads and
rolls, but she made amazing butter tarts. They would be rated on their
own scale. The recipe was a closely guarded secret. Judy got sick and
her daughter took over, but she would not give the daughter her recipe.
Alas, Judy died and took her recipe to her grave. With their number one
product no longer available, business dropped and the store went under.

> The other problem in this area is not enough customers that demand a
> high quality product. Too many people think the blah goods at the
> supermarket is really good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 8:54:10 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-21 12:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> My go to bakery has similar hours. He is open very early and usually
> >> closes at 2:30, 4:00 on Fridays, 2:00 on Saturdays. He makes really
> >> good bread. He also does a few types of tarts, squares and pastries.
> >> However, the store is only a part of the business. He also has a
> >> commercial business, preparing cakes, pastries etc. for restaurants
> >> and caterers. He bakes only enough bread to sell that day. His
> >> regular customers know his hours and make a point of being there in time.
> >>

> > I did not mention, this is not in a high traffic area either and parking
> > limited. My guess is the rent was cheap for that reason. Just not well
> > thought out.

> Our guy is on a very busy street but with limited parking, and no easy
> crossing for pedestrians. Given the small number of loaves he seems to
> make, I imagine that his bread and butter is the commercial side of it.
>

> > We've had a few small bakeries close up over the years. One was very
> > good, but the owner got married, had a baby, sold it. The new owner was
> > not as good and being a stoner attracted a strange clientele.

> There was one in Port Colborne, Judy's, that was okay for breads and
> rolls, but she made amazing butter tarts. They would be rated on their
> own scale. The recipe was a closely guarded secret. Judy got sick and
> her daughter took over, but she would not give the daughter her recipe.
> Alas, Judy died and took her recipe to her grave. With their number one
> product no longer available, business dropped and the store went under.

That old adage is wrong. You can take it with you.

> > The other problem in this area is not enough customers that demand a
> > high quality product. Too many people think the blah goods at the
> > supermarket is really good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 2:04 PM, The Greatest! wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>

>> We have two bakeries in this town. They have been in business forever. The strange thing is that they're located next to each other. The idea of opening another bakery here to compete with them seems to be a bad idea. Both of them sell local style items i.e., nothing fancy.
>>
>> https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/delu...y-shop-kaneohe

> I just bought a Hawaiian coffee cake at my local bakery (Evanston IL)...

Do you have to drink Kona with it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> About six months ago there was an ad for a new bakery opening in the town
> next to us. I read the ad and my wife and I figured it would be gone in a
> few months.
>
> Hours:
> Closed Sunday
> Closed Monday
> Tuesday to Saturday 6:30 to 1:30
>
> Unless it is a hobby, a business cannot sustain itself on those hours. It
> is across the street from a Church and would probably get a lot of
> customers after Mass.
>
> She did make breakfast sandwiches and had coffee. They did not make bread.
> The pastries were OK, nothing exceptional. The pies though, were
> fantastic. The crust was nice and flaky, the filling was plentiful and
> tasty, the price only $12.
>
> I went this morning hoping to score a good pie. The place is closed, some
> of the furnishings moved out.

I understand why bakeries open so early but don't understand why so many
close so early, unless it is a matter of running out of goods to sell. There
is a place in PA that does very specific things. The Pitza is the biggest
seller. It's not regular pizza although the owner does also own a pizza
place/bar around the corner. This is the kind on a soft, bready crust with
only tomato and cheese on top. Baked into a rectangle, cut in squares and
put in a box. Eaten cold. Also pitza bread which is not quite as good, and
an assortment of sweet rolls. They may sell a few other things but I don't
think loaf type bread is among them. We kept trying to go there but they
closed at around 2-3:00 in the afternoon and were also closed totally on
some days of the week.

They're still up and running but it sure was hard to get there at the right
time to buy something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> I did not mention, this is not in a high traffic area either and parking
> limited. My guess is the rent was cheap for that reason. Just not well
> thought out.
>
> We've had a few small bakeries close up over the years. One was very
> good, but the owner got married, had a baby, sold it. The new owner was
> not as good and being a stoner attracted a strange clientele.
>
> The other problem in this area is not enough customers that demand a high
> quality product. Too many people think the blah goods at the supermarket
> is really good.

I had forgotten until you mentioned this but... There is a highway going
into Woodinville/Clearview. It's a rather busy highway but has a big divider
in the middle, making it hard to access businesses on the other side of the
road from where you are going. A Mexican restaurant went in a couple of
years ago. It's owned by the cousin of the place where we normally eat so
decided to give it a try. Although the food is good, it's just too hard for
me to get to. They do have one or two handicapped spots near the door but I
don't have a placard for myself.

The rest of the parking is behind the restaurant and down a steep hill. That
part is not visible from the street. I would think that alone might make
people pass it by as from the street, there appears to be no parking.

Behind the parking is a lot of crap. Old doghouses, sheds and abandoned
things. I think some business was in there but I don't know what.

To the left of the parking is an unrelated, oddly shaped building. The
businesses that have been in there never seem to stay for very long. At one
point, there was a bakery. We didn't have time to stop that day but were
going to the next time we went. And by then, it was gone. Weird thing is,
unless someone told you it was there or you got a flyer or something
spelling out specifically where it was, you would never see it. Unless of
course you saw it from the restaurant parking lot. The other building is set
back very far from the road. You can see the front of it and there is a sign
there. Can't remember what the front part is but it's something very
specific and not something most people would need. As in not a store. This
bakery and some other small places were down along the side of the building.
No signs visible from the street at all. Makes me wonder how they thought
they could make it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 7/21/2017 2:04 PM, The Greatest! wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> >

> >> We have two bakeries in this town. They have been in business forever. The strange thing is that they're located next to each other. The idea of opening another bakery here to compete with them seems to be a bad idea. Both of them sell local style items i.e., nothing fancy.
> >>
> >> https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/delu...y-shop-kaneohe

> > I just bought a Hawaiian coffee cake at my local bakery (Evanston IL)....
> >

> Do you have to drink Kona with it?

Would be nice, but my preferred coffee is Cafe Bustelo...ALWYAYS iced, even in the winter.

I used to be "fussy" about coffee, would buy all kinds of beans to grind, etc. Now in my dotage I've settled on Cafe Bustelo, it is strong, nicely - flavored, and cheap. I order the bricks from Amazon, usually three bucks and change, a bargain that I enjoy buying.

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:33:44 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:

>> > I just bought a Hawaiian coffee cake at my local bakery (Evanston IL)...
>> >

>> > --
>> > Best
>> > Greg

>> That sounds pretty good. What's in it? All we got is regular coffee cake here.

>There is pineapple, macadamia nuts, some coconut flakes...it's very good.

With pineapple it's actually a Mexican coffee cake. Coconuts are
native to nowhere but exist where the sea takes them. Macadamia has
nothing to do with Hawaii either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macadamia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/21/2017 12:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > The other problem in this area is not enough customers that demand a
> > high quality product. Too many people think the blah goods at the
> > supermarket is really good.

> In my travels, the supermarket bakery is fairly blah!

Oh, yeah. I was sick a lot last month and while able to work from
home, the family had to experience store bread. They are not used to
that. They didn't totally hate the soft milk bread (Sunbeam?) but they
both noticed it was 4$ (and we make a better tasting but firmer one for
under a dollar).

It's probably all what one is used to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 10:03:08 AM UTC-10, The Greatest! wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > > I just bought a Hawaiian coffee cake at my local bakery (Evanston IL)....
> > >

> > Do you have to drink Kona with it?

> Would be nice, but my preferred coffee is Cafe Bustelo...ALWYAYS iced, even in the winter.
>
> I used to be "fussy" about coffee, would buy all kinds of beans to grind, etc. Now in my dotage I've settled on Cafe Bustelo, it is strong, nicely - flavored, and cheap. I order the bricks from Amazon, usually three bucks and change, a bargain that I enjoy buying.
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

I used to do that all that too. I've grown past that - will check out Cafe Bustelo. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 3:03 PM, The Greatest! wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> I just bought a Hawaiian coffee cake at my local bakery (Evanston IL)...
>>>

>> Do you have to drink Kona with it?

> Would be nice, but my preferred coffee is Cafe Bustelo...ALWYAYS iced, even in the winter.
>
> I used to be "fussy" about coffee, would buy all kinds of beans to grind, etc. Now in my dotage I've settled on Cafe Bustelo, it is strong, nicely - flavored, and cheap. I order the bricks from Amazon, usually three bucks and change, a bargain that I enjoy buying.

I buy my beans at WM , 8 o'clock brand Columbian Peaks medium roast
and Italian dark roast . Mix 'em 50/50 and sometimes add a few vanilla
flavored or Irish cream flavored for variety . Strong and smooth without
an acid bite . Dog likes it too , but his is mostly milk (grin) .

--

Snag