Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Freezing guacamole

I have a case of those little cups of Wholly Guacamole from the business
Costco. There are so many in the package that I knew when I bought them that
they wouldn't all get eaten before the guac. eaters went on vacation. But it
was still cheaper to buy them this way than to buy a tiny package at the
grocery store.

Someone told me that they buy them like this all the time and that they
freeze well. But I kind of have my doubts. Wouldn't the texture be off? Same
person insisted that I could cook chicken breasts in the microwave and
they'd come out just like they would if I cooked them on the stove. I don't
believe that either and won't be trying it but...

Should I freeze the guac.? Or should I just give it to the person who claims
that her husband eats it like this and thinks it's fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Freitag, 21. Juli 2017 13:16:06 UTC+2 schrieb Julie Bove:
> I have a case of those little cups of Wholly Guacamole from the business
> Costco. There are so many in the package that I knew when I bought them that
> they wouldn't all get eaten before the guac. eaters went on vacation. But it
> was still cheaper to buy them this way than to buy a tiny package at the
> grocery store.
>
> Someone told me that they buy them like this all the time and that they
> freeze well. But I kind of have my doubts. Wouldn't the texture be off? Same
> person insisted that I could cook chicken breasts in the microwave and
> they'd come out just like they would if I cooked them on the stove. I don't
> believe that either and won't be trying it but...
>
> Should I freeze the guac.? Or should I just give it to the person who claims
> that her husband eats it like this and thinks it's fine.

Try freezing (ask her how she does it) them, thaw one when your family is
back from vacation. If they like it - fine; if not - give the rest to that
woman.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 7:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Same person insisted that I could cook chicken breasts in the microwave
> and they'd come out just like they would if I cooked them on the stove.
> I don't believe that either and won't be trying it but...

Believe the chicken breast thing, Julie. I've cooked them in the
microwave before and they are to die for with no seasoning added except
maybe a little salt.

Thing is is to cook them JUST until done. One more minute and they
aren't so good. In a microwave go to every 30 seconds once they get near
finished. Very tasty if you catch it just right and even better than
pan fried in some oil.

Same with cooking chicken thighs in a microwave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sanne" > wrote in message
> Am Freitag, 21. Juli 2017 13:16:06 UTC+2 schrieb Julie Bove:
>> I have a case of those little cups of Wholly Guacamole from the business
>> Costco. There are so many in the package that I knew when I bought them
>> that
>> they wouldn't all get eaten before the guac. eaters went on vacation. But
>> it
>> was still cheaper to buy them this way than to buy a tiny package at the
>> grocery store.
>>
>> Someone told me that they buy them like this all the time and that they
>> freeze well. But I kind of have my doubts. Wouldn't the texture be off?
>> Same
>> person insisted that I could cook chicken breasts in the microwave and
>> they'd come out just like they would if I cooked them on the stove. I
>> don't
>> believe that either and won't be trying it but...
>>
>> Should I freeze the guac.? Or should I just give it to the person who
>> claims
>> that her husband eats it like this and thinks it's fine.

> Try freezing (ask her how she does it) them, thaw one when your family is
> back from vacation. If they like it - fine; if not - give the rest to that
> woman.
>
> Bye, Sanne.

I guess I could do that. I just hate serving crappy food. They wouldn't be
happy with separated or watery guac.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 04:15:49 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I have a case of those little cups of Wholly Guacamole from the business
>> Costco. There are so many in the package that I knew when I bought them
>> that
>> they wouldn't all get eaten before the guac. eaters went on vacation. But
>> it
>> was still cheaper to buy them this way than to buy a tiny package at the
>> grocery store.
>>
>> Someone told me that they buy them like this all the time and that they
>> freeze well. But I kind of have my doubts. Wouldn't the texture be off?
>> Same
>> person insisted that I could cook chicken breasts in the microwave and
>> they'd come out just like they would if I cooked them on the stove. I
>> don't
>> believe that either and won't be trying it but...
>>
>> Should I freeze the guac.? Or should I just give it to the person who
>> claims
>> that her husband eats it like this and thinks it's fine.

> If you have lots of them, put one in the freezer and take it out and
> test it 24-48 hours later. Or you could look at their website, which
> suggests freezing.
>
> https://www.eatwholly.com/three-easy...e-lunch-hacks/
>
> -sw

Wow! I guess if they recommend freezing, it must be okay! Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/21/2017 7:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Same person insisted that I could cook chicken breasts in the microwave
>> and they'd come out just like they would if I cooked them on the stove.
>> I don't believe that either and won't be trying it but...

> Believe the chicken breast thing, Julie. I've cooked them in the microwave
> before and they are to die for with no seasoning added except maybe a
> little salt.
>
> Thing is is to cook them JUST until done. One more minute and they aren't
> so good. In a microwave go to every 30 seconds once they get near
> finished. Very tasty if you catch it just right and even better than pan
> fried in some oil.
>
> Same with cooking chicken thighs in a microwave.

But would they get brown? I asked her and she just shrugged and then asked
me why chicken would get brown? This is a person who does not cook very much
at all, ever.

I remember trying to do ground beef in the microwave when I first got it. I
followed the instructions. The beef never got brown. Just stayed pink which
the cookbook assured me was fine. Nope. I don't think I threw it out. Maybe
tried to finish it on the stove but it wasn't very good. Just tough and
dried out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 1:25 PM, Gary wrote:
> On 7/21/2017 7:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Same person insisted that I could cook chicken breasts in the microwave
>> and they'd come out just like they would if I cooked them on the stove.
>> I don't believe that either and won't be trying it but...

> Believe the chicken breast thing, Julie. I've cooked them in the
> microwave before and they are to die for with no seasoning added except
> maybe a little salt.
>
> Thing is is to cook them JUST until done. One more minute and they
> aren't so good. In a microwave go to every 30 seconds once they get near
> finished. Very tasty if you catch it just right and even better than
> pan fried in some oil.
>
> Same with cooking chicken thighs in a microwave.

Gary. You keep saying chicken breasts (and thighs) cooked in the
microwave are great. Oh, they'll be cooked, sure. But there's nothing
interesting about it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 12:36 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/21/2017 1:25 PM, Gary wrote:
>> On 7/21/2017 7:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Same person insisted that I could cook chicken breasts in the microwave
>>> and they'd come out just like they would if I cooked them on the stove.
>>> I don't believe that either and won't be trying it but...

>> Believe the chicken breast thing, Julie. I've cooked them in the
>> microwave before and they are to die for with no seasoning added except
>> maybe a little salt.
>>
>> Thing is is to cook them JUST until done. One more minute and they
>> aren't so good. In a microwave go to every 30 seconds once they get near
>> finished. Very tasty if you catch it just right and even better than
>> pan fried in some oil.
>>
>> Same with cooking chicken thighs in a microwave.
>>

> Gary. You keep saying chicken breasts (and thighs) cooked in the
> microwave are great. Oh, they'll be cooked, sure. But there's nothing
> interesting about it.
>
> Jill

Won't be interesting, but it can be acceptable. Many years ago we
bought an OTR microwave and it came with cooking lessons. We made
chicken, beef, dessert. It was all good. Chicken skin will never get
crispy, but looked on a lower power to the right temperature the meat
can be as good as oven cooked.

Too often people just put the food in, hit the button on high, come back
and wonder why it is like pale rubber.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/22/2017 1:00 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/22/2017 12:36 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Believe the chicken breast thing, Julie. I've cooked them in the
>>> microwave before and they are to die for with no seasoning added except
>>> maybe a little salt.
>>>
>>> Thing is is to cook them JUST until done. One more minute and they
>>> aren't so good. In a microwave go to every 30 seconds once they get near
>>> finished. Very tasty if you catch it just right and even better than
>>> pan fried in some oil.
>>>
>>> Same with cooking chicken thighs in a microwave.
>>>

>> Gary. You keep saying chicken breasts (and thighs) cooked in the
>> microwave are great. Oh, they'll be cooked, sure. But there's
>> nothing interesting about it.
>>
>> Jill

> Won't be interesting, but it can be acceptable. Many years ago we
> bought an OTR microwave and it came with cooking lessons. We made
> chicken, beef, dessert. It was all good. Chicken skin will never get
> crispy, but looked on a lower power to the right temperature the meat
> can be as good as oven cooked.
>
> Too often people just put the food in, hit the button on high, come back
> and wonder why it is like pale rubber.

Acceptable. That's a great word. I have cooked lots of things in the
microwave. But there was never any reason to cook chicken
breasts/thighs in one. How boring.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 6:25:38 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> That's not even acceptable results AFAIC.

Bacon comes out very, very good in the microwave.
It can be cooked to the done but limp stage or a
bit longer for crispy. If you don't want to save
the bacon grease for later use just cook those
strips between paper towels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

>Bacon comes out very, very good in the microwave.
>It can be cooked to the done but limp stage or a
>bit longer for crispy. If you don't want to save
>the bacon grease for later use just cook those
>strips between paper towels.

Very true, microwaving cooks/reheats fatty foods (bacon, sausage,
etc.) better and faster than any other method... for cooking use high
power, for reheating use medium power... quantity depends on unit.

Guacamole James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 23 09-05-2013 01:45 AM
Guacamole Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 13 18-12-2012 06:47 AM
Guacamole Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-07-2005 02:27 AM
Guacamole Charles Gifford Mexican Cooking 16 14-03-2005 04:14 PM
guacamole xyz789 General Cooking 6 11-03-2004 01:36 AM