Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pic of Dinner Tonight 7/19/17

https://s21.postimg.org/utz5w6l6v/baked_fish_squash.jpg

Quite tasty!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> https://s21.postimg.org/utz5w6l6v/baked_fish_squash.jpg
>
> Quite tasty!
>
> Jill

what kind of fish? what's on it?

a friend made yellow squash for dinner yesterday - good stuff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2017 12:07 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> https://s21.postimg.org/utz5w6l6v/baked_fish_squash.jpg
>>
>> Quite tasty!
>>
>> Jill

> what kind of fish? what's on it?

It's cod. Breadcrumbs and cheese on it.

> a friend made yellow squash for dinner yesterday - good stuff

I like all kinds of squash. Winter, spring, summer. Love it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/20/2017 12:07 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> https://s21.postimg.org/utz5w6l6v/baked_fish_squash.jpg
>>>
>>> Quite tasty!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> what kind of fish? what's on it?
>>

> It's cod. Breadcrumbs and cheese on it.

cue Sheldon in 3...2...1...

>> a friend made yellow squash for dinner yesterday - good stuff
>>

> I like all kinds of squash. Winter, spring, summer. Love it.
>
> Jill

I've always just sauteed with a little garlic or onion, and thyme or
whatever -- would like to try roasting. Any suggestions?

I have vague memories of my mom roasting winter squash halves of some
sort and then eating it with a bunch of butter in the cavity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 8:10:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

> >> what kind of fish? what's on it?
> >>

> > It's cod. Breadcrumbs and cheese on it.

> cue Sheldon in 3...2...1...
>
> >> a friend made yellow squash for dinner yesterday - good stuff
> >>

> > I like all kinds of squash. Winter, spring, summer. Love it.
> >
> > Jill

> I've always just sauteed with a little garlic or onion, and thyme or
> whatever -- would like to try roasting. Any suggestions?
>
> I have vague memories of my mom roasting winter squash halves of some
> sort and then eating it with a bunch of butter in the cavity.

I made some bitter melon yesterday. The melon was sliced and boiled in water until tender. The water was drained and the melon was stir fried with some ground pork and a black bean/garlic sauce. It was pretty good. Boiling the melon in water and draining like that mellowed out the bitter taste. All that other stuff that the Chinese say will reduce bitterness does not work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 8:10:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:

>> I have vague memories of my mom roasting winter squash halves of some
>> sort and then eating it with a bunch of butter in the cavity.

> I made some bitter melon yesterday. The melon was sliced and boiled in water until tender. The water was drained and the melon was stir fried with some ground pork and a black bean/garlic sauce. It was pretty good. Boiling the melon in water and draining like that mellowed out the bitter taste. All that other stuff that the Chinese say will reduce bitterness does not work.

never tried bitter melon ... will have to look that one up

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Squash (WAS: Pic of Dinner Tonight 7/19/17)

On 7/20/2017 2:08 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> I've always just sauteed with a little garlic or onion, and thyme or
> whatever -- would like to try roasting. Any suggestions?

The summer squash in the photo was grilled. The dreaded zucchini and
yellow crookneck. Brushed with olive oil and seasoned with a little
S&P and some dried basil.

> I have vague memories of my mom roasting winter squash halves of some
> sort and then eating it with a bunch of butter in the cavity.

Likely what you recall was roasted acorn squash. I love it cooked that
way! Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, put the halves
face up in a baking dish. Sprinkle the inside of the squash with salt &
pepper. Add about one Tbs. of butter in the cavity (depends on the size
of the squash) and bake it at 350-375F. After about 30 minutes brush the
melted butter around inside and on the cut top. Might need more butter!
Continue cooking for another 30 minutes until fork tender. It's
delicious. If you like winter squash. I do.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-27, jmcquown > wrote:

> The summer squash in the photo was grilled. The dreaded zucchini and
> yellow crookneck.

Here's a quickie:

SUMMER SQUASH STEW
===================
zucchini sq
crook-necked sq
button sq - all "Summer squashes" and cut into bite-size pieces
add
one can yellow corn
one can tomato bits in juice
1/4lb-1/2lb jack cheese

Put all in saucepan and cook until button/zuch sq are tender and cheese
is melted. Serve

I no longer eat this dish, but have fond memories of it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2017-07-27, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> The summer squash in the photo was grilled. The dreaded zucchini and
>> yellow crookneck.

> Here's a quickie:
>
> SUMMER SQUASH STEW
>===================
> zucchini sq
> crook-necked sq
> button sq - all "Summer squashes" and cut into bite-size pieces
> add
> one can yellow corn
> one can tomato bits in juice
> 1/4lb-1/2lb jack cheese
>
> Put all in saucepan and cook until button/zuch sq are tender and cheese
> is melted. Serve
>
> I no longer eat this dish, but have fond memories of it.
>
> nb

good thing you included "Serve" otherwise this could turn out badly
for the inexperienced cook

the absence of mutilated English is appreciated as well

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/20/2017 2:08 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> I've always just sauteed with a little garlic or onion, and thyme or
>> whatever -- would like to try roasting. Any suggestions?
>>

> The summer squash in the photo was grilled. The dreaded zucchini and
> yellow crookneck. Brushed with olive oil and seasoned with a little
> S&P and some dried basil.
>
>> I have vague memories of my mom roasting winter squash halves of some
>> sort and then eating it with a bunch of butter in the cavity.
>>

> Likely what you recall was roasted acorn squash. I love it cooked that
> way! Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, put the halves
> face up in a baking dish. Sprinkle the inside of the squash with salt &
> pepper. Add about one Tbs. of butter in the cavity (depends on the size
> of the squash) and bake it at 350-375F. After about 30 minutes brush the
> melted butter around inside and on the cut top. Might need more butter!
> Continue cooking for another 30 minutes until fork tender. It's
> delicious. If you like winter squash. I do.
>
> Jill

yep that was it! I didn't particularly like winter squash as a kid

right now I've got a few summer squash that need to be dealt with before
they go limp on me

I did slice some for a pizza topping yesterday (along with other
ingredients) - it was all right, nothing special

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2017 1:29 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> On 7/20/2017 2:08 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> I've always just sauteed with a little garlic or onion, and thyme or
>>> whatever -- would like to try roasting. Any suggestions?
>>>

>> The summer squash in the photo was grilled. The dreaded zucchini and
>> yellow crookneck. Brushed with olive oil and seasoned with a little
>> S&P and some dried basil.
>>
>>> I have vague memories of my mom roasting winter squash halves of some
>>> sort and then eating it with a bunch of butter in the cavity.
>>>

>> Likely what you recall was roasted acorn squash. I love it cooked that
>> way! Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, put the halves
>> face up in a baking dish. Sprinkle the inside of the squash with salt &
>> pepper. Add about one Tbs. of butter in the cavity (depends on the size
>> of the squash) and bake it at 350-375F. After about 30 minutes brush the
>> melted butter around inside and on the cut top. Might need more butter!
>> Continue cooking for another 30 minutes until fork tender. It's
>> delicious. If you like winter squash. I do.
>>
>> Jill

> yep that was it! I didn't particularly like winter squash as a kid

Well then, I just wasted a lot of time typing. LOL

> right now I've got a few summer squash that need to be dealt with before
> they go limp on me
>
> I did slice some for a pizza topping yesterday (along with other
> ingredients) - it was all right, nothing special

I add zucchini to vegetable soups and spaghetti sauce. I love roasted
acorn squash. My signature soup is roasted butternut squash.

I love squash. But you may have my share of pizza topped with squash.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 16:25:05 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 8:10:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:

>>> I have vague memories of my mom roasting winter squash halves of some
>>> sort and then eating it with a bunch of butter in the cavity.

>> I made some bitter melon yesterday. The melon was sliced and boiled in water until tender. The water was drained and the melon was stir fried with some ground pork and a black bean/garlic sauce. It was pretty good. Boiling the melon in water and draining like that mellowed out the bitter taste. All that other stuff that the Chinese say will reduce bitterness does not work.

>never tried bitter melon ... will have to look that one up

I'll eat just about everything, but bitter melon ain't easy to
appreciate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/27/2017 1:29 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>>
>>> The summer squash in the photo was grilled. The dreaded zucchini and
>>> yellow crookneck. Brushed with olive oil and seasoned with a little
>>> S&P and some dried basil.

>>> Likely what you recall was roasted acorn squash. I love it cooked that
>>> way! Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, put the halves
>>> face up in a baking dish. Sprinkle the inside of the squash with salt &
>>> pepper. Add about one Tbs. of butter in the cavity (depends on the size
>>> of the squash) and bake it at 350-375F. After about 30 minutes brush the
>>> melted butter around inside and on the cut top. Might need more butter!
>>> Continue cooking for another 30 minutes until fork tender. It's
>>> delicious. If you like winter squash. I do.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> yep that was it! I didn't particularly like winter squash as a kid
>>

> Well then, I just wasted a lot of time typing. LOL

news flash - I'm not a kid any more

>> right now I've got a few summer squash that need to be dealt with before
>> they go limp on me
>>
>> I did slice some for a pizza topping yesterday (along with other
>> ingredients) - it was all right, nothing special
>>

> I add zucchini to vegetable soups and spaghetti sauce. I love roasted
> acorn squash. My signature soup is roasted butternut squash.
>
> I love squash. But you may have my share of pizza topped with squash.
>
> Jill

it had enough other stuff to make it interesting

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 6:30:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 8:10:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:

> >> I have vague memories of my mom roasting winter squash halves of some
> >> sort and then eating it with a bunch of butter in the cavity.

> > I made some bitter melon yesterday. The melon was sliced and boiled in water until tender. The water was drained and the melon was stir fried with some ground pork and a black bean/garlic sauce. It was pretty good. Boiling the melon in water and draining like that mellowed out the bitter taste. All that other stuff that the Chinese say will reduce bitterness does not work.

> never tried bitter melon ... will have to look that one up

It's an interesting vegetable. It tastes so bad that you figure it's got to be good for you. The Chinese believe that it cures diabetes and cancer - among other things. I like the taste although I cannot say why.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...PJenepA6vifYKh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 27 Jul 2017 02:23:10p, tert in seattle told us...

>>> I love squash. But you may have my share of pizza topped with
>>> squash.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> it had enough other stuff to make it interesting
>>

> I can't imagine that zucchini wouldn't be too watery as a pizza
> topping. Some other toppings that people insist on throwing on top
> of pizza are also too watery.

tell it to queen margherita

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2017 5:23 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> yep that was it! I didn't particularly like winter squash as a kid
>>>

>> Well then, I just wasted a lot of time typing. LOL

> news flash - I'm not a kid any more

hey, tert, I know you're not a kid. You said you had vague memories of
it as a kid so I typed it out. Don't eat it if you don't like it. I'm
not trying to change your mind.

>>> right now I've got a few summer squash that need to be dealt with before
>>> they go limp on me
>>>
>>> I did slice some for a pizza topping yesterday (along with other
>>> ingredients) - it was all right, nothing special
>>>

>> I add zucchini to vegetable soups and spaghetti sauce. I love roasted
>> acorn squash. My signature soup is roasted butternut squash.
>>
>> I love squash. But you may have my share of pizza topped with squash.
>>
>> Jill

> it had enough other stuff to make it interesting

Zucchini seems a tad watery to me to be a pizza topping. Then again, I
don't much care about pizza so you may have my share of it regardless of
the toppings.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 19:49:18 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/27/2017 5:23 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I love squash. But you may have my share of pizza topped with squash.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> it had enough other stuff to make it interesting
>>

>Zucchini seems a tad watery to me to be a pizza topping. Then again, I
>don't much care about pizza so you may have my share of it regardless of
>the toppings.

Strange how (mentally) old people tend not to like pizza. I don't see
what's so "young" about dough with toppings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 7:53:48 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 19:49:18 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >> it had enough other stuff to make it interesting
> >>

> >Zucchini seems a tad watery to me to be a pizza topping. Then again, I
> >don't much care about pizza so you may have my share of it regardless of
> >the toppings.

> Strange how (mentally) old people tend not to like pizza. I don't see
> what's so "young" about dough with toppings.

Not everybody likes pizza. I'm not crazy about it, myself. I've eaten
a ton of it, though, because it's convenient to have it delivered after a
long day of, for example, building a garage.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Not everybody likes pizza. I'm not crazy about it, myself. I've eaten
> a ton of it, though, because it's convenient to have it delivered after a
> long day of, for example, building a garage.

I make homemade pizza often. So easy to vary toppings for a
different
meal. I make my own dough too. Easy peasy to make and is always
better tasting.

When in lazy mode, I'll buy a frozen one and usually enhance it.
Only store frozen that I've found that I don't enhance is,
Culinary Circle Supreme pizza. It's good just as is. Normally
sells for about $5.oo but I wait until it goes on sale for
half price. Best frozen store pizza I've ever tried.

Very rarely, I'll order one from a pizza place but I'll go pick
it up myself rather than pay 50% more to add a delivery tip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 8:10:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle
> > wrote:

> >> I have vague memories of my mom roasting winter squash halves of

> some >> sort and then eating it with a bunch of butter in the cavity.
> >
> > I made some bitter melon yesterday. The melon was sliced and boiled
> > in water until tender. The water was drained and the melon was stir
> > fried with some ground pork and a black bean/garlic sauce. It was
> > pretty good. Boiling the melon in water and draining like that
> > mellowed out the bitter taste. All that other stuff that the
> > Chinese say will reduce bitterness does not work.

> never tried bitter melon ... will have to look that one up

It looks a lot like a thin cucumber with lots of knobs. Used generally
in some parts of asia as a palate cleanser (used between very different
foods to reset the taste buds). Generally it's a garnish to the side
from my experience.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I love squash.

Too bad you don't live nearer... check your email for today's haul...
tinypic is not working for me right now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 09:20:21 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>tert in seattle wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> dsi1 wrote:

>> some >> sort and then eating it with a bunch of butter in the cavity.
>> >
>> > I made some bitter melon yesterday. The melon was sliced and boiled
>> > in water until tender. The water was drained and the melon was stir
>> > fried with some ground pork and a black bean/garlic sauce. It was
>> > pretty good. Boiling the melon in water and draining like that
>> > mellowed out the bitter taste. All that other stuff that the
>> > Chinese say will reduce bitterness does not work.

>> never tried bitter melon ... will have to look that one up

>It looks a lot like a thin cucumber with lots of knobs.

I can see why you enjoy it.

https://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-bitter-melon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

>>> I add zucchini to vegetable soups and spaghetti sauce. I love roasted
>>> acorn squash. My signature soup is roasted butternut squash.
>>>
>>> I love squash. But you may have my share of pizza topped with squash.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> it had enough other stuff to make it interesting
>>

> Zucchini seems a tad watery to me to be a pizza topping. Then again, I
> don't much care about pizza so you may have my share of it regardless of
> the toppings.
>
> Jill

for the unbelievers

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/zucch_etc_za.jpg

leftover pizza reheated in the toaster oven at work

my trick for the bell peppers is to bake them separately while the
oven is preheating (although in this case I had already made two
pizzas so the oven was nice and hot) before putting them on the pizza

another trick is not to use too many wet veggies, and move the pizza
to the top rack for the last 5 minutes or so to get the wet veggies
up where the heat is

of course you never put the veggies below the meat (or cheese - only
complete morons do that)

this is actually better as leftovers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2017 5:02 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 7:53:48 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 19:49:18 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Zucchini seems a tad watery to me to be a pizza topping. Then again, I
>>> don't much care about pizza so you may have my share of it regardless of
>>> the toppings.

>> Strange how (mentally) old people tend not to like pizza. I don't see
>> what's so "young" about dough with toppings.

What are you talking about? What does age (mentally or otherwise) have
to do with summer squash on pizza?

> Not everybody likes pizza. I'm not crazy about it, myself. I've eaten
> a ton of it, though, because it's convenient to have it delivered after a
> long day of, for example, building a garage.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Pizza is just not something I'm interesting in making or eating. Thick
crust, thin crust. I've made my share of both. From scratch. It is
simply not something I get excited about. At any rate, all I said was I
thought zucchini would be a tad watery as a topping. I'd have to at
least sweat the water out before putting it on the pizza before it went
into the oven. <shrug>

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 00:25:20 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/28/2017 5:02 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 7:53:48 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>>> Strange how (mentally) old people tend not to like pizza. I don't see
>>> what's so "young" about dough with toppings.

>What are you talking about? What does age (mentally or otherwise) have
>to do with summer squash on pizza?
>
>> Not everybody likes pizza. I'm not crazy about it, myself. I've eaten
>> a ton of it, though, because it's convenient to have it delivered after a
>> long day of, for example, building a garage.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Pizza is just not something I'm interesting in making or eating. Thick
>crust, thin crust. I've made my share of both. From scratch. It is
>simply not something I get excited about. At any rate, all I said was I
>thought zucchini would be a tad watery as a topping. I'd have to at
>least sweat the water out before putting it on the pizza before it went
>into the oven. <shrug>
>
>Jill

I have to agree, summer squash adds nothing to pizza other than water,
even dilutes the other flavors... yet I grow a lot of summer squash, I
like it it soups and my favorite are slabs dusted with seasoned flour
and fried... drives out much of the water... can sub for eggplant in
parm.

Dinner tonight Ozgirl Diabetic 31 23-09-2011 05:31 AM
Tonight's Dinner Honey Badger[_3_] General Cooking 2 13-09-2011 12:20 AM
Dinner Tonight is... Little Malice General Cooking 45 14-02-2007 03:29 PM
Dinner Tonight Sep 20 ~patches~ General Cooking 3 21-09-2005 01:15 AM