Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Christmas (WAS: These Technologies Are Changing Farms in Some Surprising Ways)

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> WTF does this mean? You asked for and got something you wanted but it
>> wasn't EXACTLY what you wanted? Princess?

> I would like to see her commit to a timeline because it looks like she is
> talking about something that pre dates Rachel Ray.

I have no clue of the year. Obviously not the same year as the Skipper
House. We were living back here in WA and Rachael's show happened to come
on. Not sure which show. I don't like to watch her but she was showing what
was at the time, her new pasta pot. I liked that it was a large oval shape
so you could throw spaghetti in and not have to break or bend it.

I liked the pot so much that when the cushiony stuff on the handles began to
break down, I bought another one. They have come down in price since I got
the first one. This isn't a new story. I have posted this here before and
no, I'm not going to put up a link to where I posted it before.

<snip>

> Off to Value Village with the other laundry baskets full of unwanted
> presents. They were welcomed as much as the advice she solicits here and
> then dismisses.

Thing is most of the time I am given advice here, I did not solicit it.

<snip>

>> Can't you remember what you just posted? You wrote "one year I wanted a
>> Barbie House. What I got was a Skipper house." What does the word
>> *wanted* mean? Meant you wanted one but they got you the other one.
>> (sigh)

> When people tell the truth they rely on the memory of what really
> happened, so there is consistency. When they lie they get confused and
> trip up . I am not obsessed withe her....just pointing out that, once
> again, there are issues about the truth surrounding her comments.

As I said, I was not merely asked what I wanted. I was asked to choose from
a very specific list of things as to what I wanted. I knew enough by then
that I would get nowhere by saying that I didn't want any of it. So I chose
something that at least I could use.

It seems to me that a lot of people here are very simple minded and need to
have things in black and white. But things in life rarely are that simple.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> It's not as if she posted this years ago. It was two days ago. Still
> whining at age 58 that she didn't get the Barbie Dream House when she was
> a kid. Wow.

I'm not whining and it was just a cardboard house. Apparently they did at
that time refer to it as a Dream House but it was nothing like what they
sell today as the Dream House.

I finally found a pic of what I got. Apparently it was referrred to as a
"room" and not a house. Here is is:

http://ns1.ubbcentral.com/store/item...777677918.html

As you can see... Everything was made of flimsy cardboard. Nothing would
stay together and it was all designed for a smaller doll. Barbie couldn't
use the bed or the chairs. She was just too large. Says that this is very
hard to find and I just don't doubt it. The design in and of itself was a
poor one. There was no way to fold it up for storage like you could with the
Barbie house.

This is the Barbie house which I'm sure now was equally flimsy but at least
you could fold it up to store it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5332473...=sr_gallery_13

> I don't celebrate Christmas, per se, but I do like the ceramic tree so I
> put it on the table with some stained glass angels.

Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> [...]

>>> dish of the same brand. The dish was so heavy that I could not lift it
>>> by myself. I couldn't imagine putting food in it and then taking it in
>>> and out of the oven. Once again, I was made out to be the bad guy. I
>>> asked for something. They bought me something. And they couldn't
>>> understand why this couldn't be used to cook pasta.
>>>
>>> As an adult, I we would come from the Christmas celebration, each of
>>> us with at least three full laundry baskets of gifts. Most of which
>>> went straight to Value Village because they were either duplicates of
>>> what they'd already given us in years past or we simply could not or
>>> would not use them. Often we would get tech type stuff for devices we
>>> didn't even own. But hey! They were a good deal! And many of these
>>> items were purchased long ago and on clearance so they couldn't be
>>> returned.

>>> No. I actually DIDN'T want the Barbie house.

> Forgot what you just wrote two days ago, did you?
>
> (snippage)
>
>>> The point was that I was badgered and badgered into selecting
>>> something from the catalog. When I finally did, that's not what I got.
>>> I had darned well better appreciate his efforts.
>>>

> Awwwww, poor you.
>
> I darned well appreciated my fathers's efforts.
>
>>> So in a nutshell, the way I saw it... I was given a gift that I did
>>> not want and could not use. Then chastised for not being able to use
>>> it. Then pretty much every Christmas after that until they began
>>> losing their memory, I was chastised yet again for being so ungrateful

> Sounds like you were definitely an ingrate.
>
>>> about the wonderful gift I had been given. Never once did they admit
>>> that they'd bought the wrong item

> Why should they?! They did the best they could. Too bad if it didn't
> meet your exacting expectations.
>
>> and never once could they understand
>>> or see why the item was useless to me.
>>>
>>> I could be wrong here but I would rather get nothing at all than to
>>> have someone spend a lot of money on something for me that I'll never
>>> be able to use.

> I'm sure they wish they had not bothered. Ingrate!
>
>>> I do know it's the thought that counts. And if someone
>>> spent $3 on something that I'll never eat, use, etc. No biggie.
>>> They're not out all that much money. But something like this DID cost
>>> them a lot of money.

>> Julie, I now a few here will make something of yout story, but I've seen
>> it with a friend of mine. It really happens that the parents think they
>> are doing something wonderful but they are causing more grief in reality.
>>
>> In the case I'm aware of, one time the father gave the son some Betmax
>> tapes he got on sale and could not understand why the son was not
>> overjoyed to try to use them in the VHS player.

> Grief, Ed? Really? What caused me grief was my mother bought me a set of
> striped footie pajamas when I was 15. And I was expected to wear them
> when we unwrapped presents. That was downright embarrassing.

Mine weren't striped but I got those too at about the same age.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news >

My solution for people that complain about gifts is to buy them nothing
after the first time. That way there is no reason to complain about the
present next year. Simple.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news >>

> My solution for people that complain about gifts is to buy them nothing
> after the first time. That way there is no reason to complain about the
> present next year. Simple.

That would work for me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.44...
> On Wed 19 Jul 2017 10:58:44p, Cheri told us...
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>> My solution for people that complain about gifts is to buy them
>> nothing after the first time. That way there is no reason to
>> complain about the present next year. Simple.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> I bought a very nice watch for my (then) favorite first cousin who
> really had very little money. When he opened and examined it he asked
> if I could exchange it for a better one. I replied that, no, I can't
> exchange it, but I can take it back, which is exactly what I did. He
> never even received a Christsmas card after that.

That's the sort of thing that I'd never buy for someone unless they pointed
out something specific that they wanted. Not an expensive one anyway. I did
recently buy my friend a very cheap, plain watch with a black band. She had
lost her watch somewhere in her room and I figured she could use that one
until she found the other one. I felt safe in buying it because it was so
cheap and I've known her for so many years, I know her style by now. She is
still wearing the watch some months later. Her other one never turned up.
But even if she hadn't worn it, I wouldn't have been upset. It really cost
me nothing as I had Amazon credit to pay for it.

I have gotten a few watches as gifts over the years. The first one was my
first watch ever. I think I was in 3rd or 4th grade. A simple Timex with a
gray leather band. I had it for years.

The other two were not anything I'd ever wear. Like my friend, I prefer
watches to be simple and easy to read. One had a tiny face in an odd shape
and no numbers. The other, while expensive was just not my style at all. Was
more like a sports watch and an odd, pale color and far too many functions
for me to comprehend. I like black and bright colors. And simple.
Accidentally sent for a watch online that had a date on it. For some reason,
the date was constantly being wrong. I'd set it and a few days later it was
wrong again. I couldn't handle that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2017 11:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Another time it was an enormous piece of art that I found to be hideous.
> I had no wall space for it to begin with. Makes no sense to me that
> people would by something like this or furniture which is very much an
> individual thing without asking the person for their opinion about it or
> even if they needed it. Seems like a gift card would be better. Then
> they could choose what they wanted or needed.

Very true, Julie.

No one should gift someone furniture, watches, pets, etc.
IMO, if you don't know exactly what someone would like, just give them
money or a gift card.

Even gift cards can suck. I've gotten 2 in the past years but from a
store that I never even shop at.

The cash (green gift cards) are a much better deal. Use it at any store.

Case in point....I use a sports watch of my choice with a different
band. Twice in the past my parents sent me a nice watch for some
occasion but it's always a nice dress watch and nothing that I would
ever even consider wearing.

But I thank them and then just never wear the watch.

My grandchildren right now have so many toys that I would never buy them
a toy. I send money to my daughter to buy them toys that SHE knows they
don't have and would like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2017 1:03 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote:
>> I don't celebrate Christmas, per se, but I do like the ceramic tree so
>> I put it on the table with some stained glass angels.

> Okay.

lol! Sounds like *everyone* has one of those ceramic trees. I have one
too but I don't put it out. Living alone now I don't decorate.
Christmas - bah humbug - only a nice vacation from work, imo.

:-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2017 2:32 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> That's the sort of thing that I'd never buy for someone unless they
> pointed out something specific that they wanted.

Again with me. Don't ever gift a watch to someone unless you know
exactly the kind that they want.

I've even been gifted clothes that I would never wear.

"Green coupons" as gifts are the best ones, imo. Use them wherever you
like to shop and buy just what you prefer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2017 2:09 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I bought a very nice watch for my (then) favorite first cousin who
> really had very little money. When he opened and examined it he asked
> if I could exchange it for a better one. I replied that, no, I can't
> exchange it, but I can take it back, which is exactly what I did. He
> never even received a Christsmas card after that.

Wow, I've never run into anything like that. I'd have done the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/19/2017 11:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Another time it was an enormous piece of art that I found to be hideous.
>> I had no wall space for it to begin with. Makes no sense to me that
>> people would by something like this or furniture which is very much an
>> individual thing without asking the person for their opinion about it or
>> even if they needed it. Seems like a gift card would be better. Then
>> they could choose what they wanted or needed.

> Very true, Julie.
>
> No one should gift someone furniture, watches, pets, etc.
> IMO, if you don't know exactly what someone would like, just give them
> money or a gift card.
>
> Even gift cards can suck. I've gotten 2 in the past years but from a store
> that I never even shop at.
>
> The cash (green gift cards) are a much better deal. Use it at any store.

Agree. I remember hearing Suze Ormon say that a large percentage of gift
cards sit in a drawer somewhere, unused but cash goes right in the wallet.

I was given some weird Internet gift card many years ago. Could be used at a
variety of stores but there was a catch. You couldn't split your purchases
between stores and you had to use the exact amount. I can't remember what I
item I found that I was going to purchase but it totalled the exact amount
on the card. They then added in things like tax and shipping. But they would
not allow me to use an alternate form of payment to cover this.

I grew increasingly frustrated because as time went on, more and more stores
were dropping out of the program and no new items were ever added. In the
end so as not to lose all of the money, I got some toy for Angela. I did
wind up with a balance of a few dollars but there was nothing I could do
there.

I have also gotten gift cards for stores that I dislike and once for a
restaurant I dislike. That one wasn't a gift but something given to me by my
dentists's office as a way to try to make up for messing up a crown
repeatedly. This particular place is on the whole a mediocore chain but the
one in Bothell in particular has very poor online reviews for both service
and food. Which is why I didn't want it. They would not take "no" for an
answer. I just wanted to leave and forget about the crown but now I had a
gift card that I also didn't want. This was many years ago. I remember
marching into the dance studio with the card in my hand. Asked the
receptionist if she ate there. She shuddered and said, "no". I then told her
that I'd try someone else because the sooner I could get rid of it, the
happier I'd be. She had a college aged son who was stopping by to visit and
she was pretty sure he would take it. He did and was very happy to get it.
So at least that ended on a good note for me.

And then my husband got a ton of gift cards to a bad Mexican restaurant when
he had a windshield replacement. We knew it was bad but did give it one more
try. We could only manage to eat a little of the beans and rice. Everything
else was horrid. The waiter kept insisting on boxing up our food. Eek! Not
sure what he did with the rest of those gift cards but we never used them.

> Case in point....I use a sports watch of my choice with a different band.
> Twice in the past my parents sent me a nice watch for some occasion but
> it's always a nice dress watch and nothing that I would ever even consider
> wearing.
>
> But I thank them and then just never wear the watch.

Yep. My husband used to buy me expensive earrings. I no longer have them as
they were taken when the house was robbed. They were just not the kind of
earrings that I wear. I did try once to wear them to work and lost one. Very
reason I dislike this kind is that if I have to use the phone, the phone
will often push the earring out of that ear. They were also tiny and
lightweight so I couldn't feel if it dropped out. I actually have a dollar
amount to earrings. I refuse to spend over this amount because I am so prone
to losing one. And sure enough, my little emerald dropped out into a
customer's bag. She was none too pleased that I had to pull everything out
of the bag to look for it. I just got lucky that time and saw it fall out.

I think sometimes people buy us what they think is a lavish gift (and it is)
but don't bother to take into account why we might not use such things. I
have even had people say to me that they want to give me a gift that is
something I would never think to buy for myself. Obviously these people have
a difrerent personality than I do. In general, if I want something, I just
get it. However, I tend not to like most very expensive things for a variety
of reasons. I might admire them but would not actually want them.

> My grandchildren right now have so many toys that I would never buy them a
> toy. I send money to my daughter to buy them toys that SHE knows they
> don't have and would like.

For years we were drowning in toys and books. I bought all of the Dr. Seuss
books. Then after we moved to CA, two different relatives mailed us all of
the Dr. Sues books that they'd kept from when their kids were little. So we
had all these duplicate books! I just wish they had mentioned that they were
going to do this because once again it was a waste of money all the way
around. And for a very long time, my daughter had a hard time giving things
up. People would give her a toy that she didn't want or that was a duplicate
of what she already had, but she would keep it because aunt so and so had
given it to her.

The summer that she decided she had outgrown toys was a busy one for us. I
lost track of how many trips we made to Value Village then. But at least we
discovered that good taqueria where we could stop for a quick snack!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/20/2017 1:03 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" wrote:
>>> I don't celebrate Christmas, per se, but I do like the ceramic tree so
>>> I put it on the table with some stained glass angels.

>> Okay.

> lol! Sounds like *everyone* has one of those ceramic trees. I have one too
> but I don't put it out. Living alone now I don't decorate. Christmas -
> bah humbug - only a nice vacation from work, imo.
>
> :-D

I have no clue what happened to mine. I don't remember it breaking. But I
don't have it any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> On 7/20/2017 2:32 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> That's the sort of thing that I'd never buy for someone unless they
>> pointed out something specific that they wanted.

> Again with me. Don't ever gift a watch to someone unless you know exactly
> the kind that they want.
>
> I've even been gifted clothes that I would never wear.

Yes! Someone in my family wears close to the same size clothing that I do
but we have very different body types. She is smaller on top and larger on
the bottom. I am just the opposite. One day, she insisted that I take these
two cardigan sweaters that she bought and decided that she didn't want. One
was silver and one was gold. Both were very short and boxy in style. So not
a style that was flattering on me for starters. Very dressy, and I hate
dressing up. Will actually back out of some events if I can if it means
dressing up. And I very much dislike sweaters, cardigans or otherwise. She
just would not take "no" for an answer, even after I tried one on to show
her that it wasn't flattering. It was actually a bit big on me. But... I
wound up leaving there with those sweaters because she insisted.

But my favorite sweater story was when my mom bought a clearance item from a
fancy downtown boutique. It was a short sleeved white pullover sweater. Was
perhaps 24" from top to bottom. So very short. Had a garish pattern of black
and primary colors strewn across the front. I don't think I even had to say
anything because the look on my face gave away how hideous I thought this
thing was. My mom then said that the store was no longer there so she
couldn't take it back. Why didn't I go into the bathroom and try it on? So I
did. It fit rather like a warped sausage skin. Was extrememly tight on me
but for some reason pulled to one side at the top and the other side at the
bottom. Left about 6" of my bare tummy exposed as I am very long waisted.
But the worst part was the large red circle on the front. It fell exactly
where my right boob was, making it look as though it stood out and was much
larger than my left one.

As I lumbered out of the bathroom with it on, everyone burst into laughter.
Tears were streaming down their faces. And all at one they shouted, "Take it
off!" At least it was good for comedy.

Another time I got a pullover top that was a clearance item. I would have
actually liked it but... The neck opening had been sewn wrong. There was no
way that my head would fit through it and I don't think I have an overly
large head. That caused a lot of laughter too.

> "Green coupons" as gifts are the best ones, imo. Use them wherever you
> like to shop and buy just what you prefer.

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.44...
> On Wed 19 Jul 2017 10:58:44p, Cheri told us...
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>> My solution for people that complain about gifts is to buy them
>> nothing after the first time. That way there is no reason to
>> complain about the present next year. Simple.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> I bought a very nice watch for my (then) favorite first cousin who
> really had very little money. When he opened and examined it he asked
> if I could exchange it for a better one. I replied that, no, I can't
> exchange it, but I can take it back, which is exactly what I did. He
> never even received a Christsmas card after that.

I like you Wayne!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> news
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>> My solution for people that complain about gifts is to buy them nothing
>> after the first time. That way there is no reason to complain about the
>> present next year. Simple.

> That would work for me!

Good, see I knew you had some Christmas spirit in you!!!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 19:40:44 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
79.44...
>> On Wed 19 Jul 2017 10:58:44p, Cheri told us...
>>
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>
>>>
>>> My solution for people that complain about gifts is to buy them
>>> nothing after the first time. That way there is no reason to
>>> complain about the present next year. Simple.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> I bought a very nice watch for my (then) favorite first cousin who
>> really had very little money. When he opened and examined it he asked
>> if I could exchange it for a better one. I replied that, no, I can't
>> exchange it, but I can take it back, which is exactly what I did. He
>> never even received a Christsmas card after that.

>I like you Wayne!

Yes, fantastic, Wayne! Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.44...
> On Wed 19 Jul 2017 10:58:44p, Cheri told us...
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>> My solution for people that complain about gifts is to buy them
>> nothing after the first time. That way there is no reason to
>> complain about the present next year. Simple.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> I bought a very nice watch for my (then) favorite first cousin who
> really had very little money. When he opened and examined it he asked
> if I could exchange it for a better one. I replied that, no, I can't
> exchange it, but I can take it back, which is exactly what I did. He
> never even received a Christsmas card after that.

I like you Wayne!

Cheri

==

Eyyup! We have a mutual admiration thing going on here <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 11:02 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 21 Jul 2017 12:23:48a, Ophelia told us...
>> Eyyup! We have a mutual admiration thing going on here <g>
>>

> I like you too, Ophelia! :-)

lol! Why am I not surprised at all. Whine. heheheh :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 11:01 AM, Whine Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 20 Jul 2017 07:40:44p, Cheri told us...
>> I like you Wayne!
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Thanks, Cheri!

lol! :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Fri 21 Jul 2017 12:23:48a, Ophelia told us...

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 9.44...
>> On Wed 19 Jul 2017 10:58:44p, Cheri told us...
>>
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>
>>>
>>> My solution for people that complain about gifts is to buy them
>>> nothing after the first time. That way there is no reason to
>>> complain about the present next year. Simple.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> I bought a very nice watch for my (then) favorite first cousin
>> who really had very little money. When he opened and examined it
>> he asked if I could exchange it for a better one. I replied
>> that, no, I can't exchange it, but I can take it back, which is
>> exactly what I did. He never even received a Christsmas card
>> after that.

> I like you Wayne!
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Eyyup! We have a mutual admiration thing going on here <g>

I like you too, Ophelia! :-)

Wayne Boatwright

==

Awww thanks <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/21/2017 1:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> I like you too, Ophelia! :-)
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> Awww thanks <g>

heheh this is better than the old Saturday morning cartoons. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:55:40 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 7/21/2017 11:02 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 21 Jul 2017 12:23:48a, Ophelia told us...
>>> Eyyup! We have a mutual admiration thing going on here <g>
>>>

>> I like you too, Ophelia! :-)

>lol! Why am I not surprised at all. Whine. heheheh :-D

It's a "If you like my drawing, I like your drawing too" kinda thing.
More common among 5 year olds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2017 11:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/19/2017 9:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Grief, Ed? Really? What caused me grief was my mother bought me a
>> set of striped footie pajamas when I was 15. And I was expected to
>> wear them when we unwrapped presents. That was downright
>> embarrassing.
>>
>> Jill

> You know the RFC rules. We won't believe you until we see the photos.

I doubt I could find one. The folks had pretty much stopped taking pics
of unwrapping presents by the time I was in my teens. I do remember
those PJ's, though. They were made of terrycloth. It was actually more
like a so-called "cat suit" except it had non-skid feet. It zipped up
the front. It was lime green & white horizontal stripes. I don't know
what my mother was thinking! But I promise, Ed, *if* I find a photo of
it I'll scan and post it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2017 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 7/19/2017 11:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Another time it was an enormous piece of art that I found to be hideous.
>> I had no wall space for it to begin with. Makes no sense to me that
>> people would by something like this or furniture which is very much an
>> individual thing without asking the person for their opinion about it or
>> even if they needed it. Seems like a gift card would be better. Then
>> they could choose what they wanted or needed.

> Very true, Julie.
>
> No one should gift someone furniture, watches, pets, etc.

Pets are not gifts. Pets are a responsibility and a committment.

Kitchen stuff, no. Please Don't. My oldest brother once gave me a set
of flatware (for no reason, it wasn't a holiday) because he thought it
was just great. I didn't need or want a new set of flatware. He found
it on sale, maybe a two-fer at Target. I don't know. He thought it was
great! Totally not my style. I accepted it graciously. But I didn't
use it.

Today I only have one fork from that set. I use it to spoon up the wet
cat food. I donated the rest of that flatware along with a lot of other
kitchen (including some old Corelle Harvest Gold) items to charity when
I moved here.

> Even gift cards can suck. I've gotten 2 in the past years but from a
> store that I never even shop at.

Please don't try to give me gift cards. As you said, Gary, stores where
I never shop or aren't anywhere near me. There certainly aren't any
local restaurant gift cards. I'd much rather cook than eat out.

> Case in point....I use a sports watch of my choice with a different
> band. Twice in the past my parents sent me a nice watch for some
> occasion but it's always a nice dress watch and nothing that I would
> ever even consider wearing.
>
> But I thank them and then just never wear the watch.

Or sell it. Or pass it along to the next generation.

> My grandchildren right now have so many toys that I would never buy them
> a toy. I send money to my daughter to buy them toys that SHE knows they
> don't have and would like.

My cat has a lot of toys. (laugh) I'd bet if I had grandchildren they'd
be taught to put them in a toy chest. I sure remember having one. We
weren't allowed to leave toys strewn all over the place.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> My cat has a lot of toys. (laugh) I'd bet if I had grandchildren
>> >they'd be taught to put them in a toy chest. I sure remember
>> >having one. We weren't allowed to leave toys strewn all over the
>> >place.
>> >
>> >Jill
>> >

> The you can imagine how many toys 4 cats have! They have a toy box,
> but it's us that have to gather them all up periodically and put them
> in it.:-)

No, I really can't imagine. I've never had more than one cat. They
can't put away toys in a toy box. They don't have opposable thumbs.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.44...

> The you can imagine how many toys 4 cats have! They have a toy box,
> but it's us that have to gather them all up periodically and put them
> in it. :-)

One of mine tipped the basket over where we keep the toys. Now they are all
over the house. Jazzy especially loves balls. She'll meow very loudly and
walk all over the house with the ball in her mouth, making sure that we all
know she has it. Then she'll drop it, usually in some place where I'll step
on it in the dark. Somehow they also got a hold of a crocheted cupcake that
was a Christmas tree ornament.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> The you can imagine how many toys 4 cats have! They have a toy box,
> but it's us that have to gather them all up periodically and put them
> in it. :-)

Sounds like my dog, she loves toys, but doesn't pick them up.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> The you can imagine how many toys 4 cats have! They have a toy box, but
> it's us that have to gather them all up periodically and put them in it.
> :-)

Sounds like my dog, she loves toys, but doesn't pick them up.

Cheri

==

I wish Poppy knew how to play with toys I tried when we first got her but
she wasn't interested. She didn't know what they were.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> The you can imagine how many toys 4 cats have! They have a toy
>>> box, but it's us that have to gather them all up periodically and
>>> put them in it.:-)

>> No, I really can't imagine. I've never had more than one cat.
>> They can't put away toys in a toy box. They don't have opposable
>> thumbs.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> They can certainly take them out of the box one by one in their
> mouths though. If I could only teach them to put them back that way.
> :-)

I think they like to watch us do those things *for* them. You know the
old saying, "dogs have owners, cats have staff".

> One cat likes a knitted ball that her claws on one foot and he'll
> walk around on 3 legs carrying it for while, then plays with it.

Buffy loves golf balls. She bats them all over the carpeted floor in
the living room. (I can only imagine what it would sound like if there
were hardwood floors. Like a bowling alley, maybe.)

Oddly enough, she never carries toys into any other room. It is as if
she knows this is her designated play area. She would definitely never
put toys away in a box.

> One of the other cats likes to sleep in the toy box after he's had
> his dinner. They're all so funny.

Cats are a lot of fun. I've had Buffy for just over 2 years. (She's a
guestimated 8 years old now. I adopted her after her previous owner
died.) Yesterday she decided to nap on the back of the couch. She's
never done that before. Sunshine streaming in, nice and warm place to
nap. And she could look outside the picture window if she wanted to.

I was on the couch reading a book. She looked at me, slow blinky eyes.
Comfy. Oooh, in the sunshine on the back of the couch. Nice place to
nap!

It worked out well... but then she decided to turn over. The cushions
against the back of the couch shifted. As she turned, the cushion
tipped over and dumped her right into my lap. Boy was she surprised! I
wasn't. She hasn't mastered sleeping on the back of the couch yet.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
>> The you can imagine how many toys 4 cats have! They have a toy box, but
>> it's us that have to gather them all up periodically and put them in it.
>> :-)

> Sounds like my dog, she loves toys, but doesn't pick them up.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> I wish Poppy knew how to play with toys I tried when we first got her
> but she wasn't interested. She didn't know what they were.

I don't know why but our other dog Sophie didn't play with toys either. I
think maybe they need to be introduced when the dogs are puppies, but not
sure.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
>> The you can imagine how many toys 4 cats have! They have a toy box, but
>> it's us that have to gather them all up periodically and put them in it.
>> :-)

> Sounds like my dog, she loves toys, but doesn't pick them up.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> I wish Poppy knew how to play with toys I tried when we first got her
> but she wasn't interested. She didn't know what they were.

I don't know why but our other dog Sophie didn't play with toys either. I
think maybe they need to be introduced when the dogs are puppies, but not
sure.

Cheri

==

It can only be. Such a shame.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-22 11:56 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 22 Jul 2017 03:41:15a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>
>>> The you can imagine how many toys 4 cats have! They have a toy
>>> box, but it's us that have to gather them all up periodically and
>>> put them in it.
>>> :-)

>> Sounds like my dog, she loves toys, but doesn't pick them up.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I wish Poppy knew how to play with toys I tried when we first
>> got her but she wasn't interested. She didn't know what they
>> were.
>>

> Some years ago I adopted an adult cat that did not play with toys. I
> don't think she knew how. I think pets have to be rather young to
> learn to play with their toys.

My so called Malinois was 5 when we got him. He came with a huge
headless teddy bear that was his friend, bed mate and pride and joy. He
has no interest in balls, frisbees or sticks. He will chase cats, deer,
mice,snakes and frogs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/21/2017 9:07 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > > My cat has a lot of toys. (laugh) I'd bet if I had grandchildren

> > The you can imagine how many toys 4 cats have! They have a toy box,
> > but it's us that have to gather them all up periodically and put
> > them in it.:-)

> No, I really can't imagine. I've never had more than one cat. They
> can't put away toys in a toy box. They don't have opposable thumbs.
>
> Jill

Actually, my Dogs collect them for me into 'the toy corner' and are
really good about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>
>>> The you can imagine how many toys 4 cats have! They have a toy box, but
>>> it's us that have to gather them all up periodically and put them in it.
>>> :-)

>> Sounds like my dog, she loves toys, but doesn't pick them up.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I wish Poppy knew how to play with toys I tried when we first got her
>> but she wasn't interested. She didn't know what they were.

> I don't know why but our other dog Sophie didn't play with toys either. I
> think maybe they need to be introduced when the dogs are puppies, but not
> sure.

My friend has a dog that doesn't play. He came from a bad situation and as
such is constantly fearful. He has to take Prozac.