Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cauliflower (WAS: These Technologies Are Changing Farms in Some Surprising Ways)

The other day I watched Mary Berry make this on TV. It's a combination
I'd never have thought of but we love both fish pie and cauliflower
cheese so I tried it. It's really delicious and will definitely make it
again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sm...dock_and_96189

Smoked haddock and cauliflower gratin

Ingredients

butter, for greasing
350g/12oz potatoes, chopped into 2cm/?in cubes
1 medium cauliflower, broken into small florets
1 heaped tbsp cornflour
300ml/10fl oz pouring double cream
100g/3?oz gruyère cheese, coarsely grated
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp snipped chives
500g/1lb 2oz smoked haddock, skinned and cut into very large pieces
large pinch paprika, or to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Recipe tips
Method

Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Butter a wide 3-litre/5?-
pint ovenproof dish.

Put the potatoes into a large saucepan, cover with water. Add salt
and bring to the boil. Boil for 4 minutes, add the cauliflower and boil
for another 4 minutes. Drain well and tip into the prepared dish. Season
with pepper.

Put the cornflour into a bowl, pour in the cream and whisk to
combine. Season with pepper.

Scatter half the cheese over the potato and cauliflower. Scatter
over the herbs and top with the haddock. Pour the cream mixture in
between the cracks and over the top. Scatter over the remaining cheese
and the paprika.

Bake for 20?25 minutes, until golden-brown and bubbling.

Recipe Tips

This dish can be assemble up to 6 hours ahead and kept in the fridge."

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2017 4:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote:
> I detest zucchini in any form.
>
> D likes them cooked one way ... I spiralise them so they look like
> spaghetti, add spiralised carrot, chopped leeks and diced mushrooms. I
> use them as a side dish.

lol. here I am responding to 2 people that (I think) have me killfiled.
Oh well.

I've always wondered why so many people dislike zucchini. Maybe because
many people grow so much, then try to eat it all they get sick of it?

I was in upstate NY one year for a week right around labor day visiting
the in-laws. They had planted way too much corn and it was harvest time
when we were there. Every single meal included corn (even corn pancakes
for breakfast). It was just too much of a good thing. They couldn't even
give it away as all their neighbors also grew plenty.

Anyway, I once made my regular recipe of lasagna (in a 9X13 pyrex dish).
I cut zucchini thin lengthwise and used that as a substitute for the
pasta. It was a big hit and many friends asked for the recipe after I
let them taste mine.

I would do this again but my grocery store charges way too much for
fresh vegetables most of the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> D likes them cooked one way ... I spiralise them so they look like
> spaghetti, add spiralised carrot, chopped leeks and diced mushrooms. I
> use them as a side dish.

Do you cut in spirals by knife or did you buy one of those nifty
late-night infomercial spiral gadgets for $19.95? Did you call soon and
get a second one for free with only extra postage and handling?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 07:17:09 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 7/14/2017 4:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote:
>> I detest zucchini in any form.
>>
>> D likes them cooked one way ... I spiralise them so they look like
>> spaghetti, add spiralised carrot, chopped leeks and diced mushrooms. I
>> use them as a side dish.

>lol. here I am responding to 2 people that (I think) have me killfiled.
>Oh well.

I do that too sometimes, but the thing is: what matters is not that
they read it, but that you write it.

(I kind of doubt that Ophelia has you killfiled.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 7:17:35 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 7/14/2017 4:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Wayne Boatwright" wrote:
> > I detest zucchini in any form.
> >
> > D likes them cooked one way ... I spiralise them so they look like
> > spaghetti, add spiralised carrot, chopped leeks and diced mushrooms. I
> > use them as a side dish.

> lol. here I am responding to 2 people that (I think) have me killfiled.
> Oh well.
>
> I've always wondered why so many people dislike zucchini. Maybe because
> many people grow so much, then try to eat it all they get sick of it?

I don't know, either. My husband dislikes it.

I enjoy it from time to time, but I find it rather boring.
Generally I cook it in spaghetti sauce, or grill it. To
me, it's important that they be small and not overcooked.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Fri 14 Jul 2017 03:06:29a, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> .45...
>
> On Fri 14 Jul 2017 01:27:24a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> 9.44...

>>> Have you tried it? I haven't and am curious, but I definitely
>>> like zucchini hummus so I might try that.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> No, and I won't. I detest zucchini in any form.
>>

>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ==
>>
>> D likes them cooked one way ... I spiralise them so they look
>> like spaghetti, add spiralised carrot, chopped leeks and diced
>> mushrooms. I use them as a side dish.
>>

> I tried the spiralised zucchini once, but it's not for me. If you
> combined all he other ingredients I'd like the combination.
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> Try it?

Yes, I would, now that I have the spiralizer I bought.

Wayne Boatwright

==

I suppose you could add anything you wanted, but those are the additions D
likes best)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> Ophelia wrote:
>> D likes them cooked one way ... I spiralise them so they look like
>> spaghetti, add spiralised carrot, chopped leeks and diced mushrooms. I
>> use them as a side dish.

> Do you cut in spirals by knife or did you buy one of those nifty
> late-night infomercial spiral gadgets for $19.95? Did you call soon and
> get a second one for free with only extra postage and handling?

Mine is a Westmark and works really well, don't knock it if you haven't
tried it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That looks like a really good recipe, but most of Mary Berry's are extremely
good.

Cheri

"Janet" > wrote in message
.. .

> The other day I watched Mary Berry make this on TV. It's a combination
> I'd never have thought of but we love both fish pie and cauliflower
> cheese so I tried it. It's really delicious and will definitely make it
> again.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sm...dock_and_96189
>
> Smoked haddock and cauliflower gratin
>

> Ingredients
>
> butter, for greasing
> 350g/12oz potatoes, chopped into 2cm/?in cubes
> 1 medium cauliflower, broken into small florets
> 1 heaped tbsp cornflour
> 300ml/10fl oz pouring double cream
> 100g/3?oz gruyère cheese, coarsely grated
> 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
> 2 tbsp snipped chives
> 500g/1lb 2oz smoked haddock, skinned and cut into very large pieces
> large pinch paprika, or to taste
> salt and freshly ground black pepper
>
> Recipe tips
> Method
>
> Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Butter a wide 3-litre/5?-
> pint ovenproof dish.
>
> Put the potatoes into a large saucepan, cover with water. Add salt
> and bring to the boil. Boil for 4 minutes, add the cauliflower and boil
> for another 4 minutes. Drain well and tip into the prepared dish. Season
> with pepper.
>
> Put the cornflour into a bowl, pour in the cream and whisk to
> combine. Season with pepper.
>
> Scatter half the cheese over the potato and cauliflower. Scatter
> over the herbs and top with the haddock. Pour the cream mixture in
> between the cracks and over the top. Scatter over the remaining cheese
> and the paprika.
>
> Bake for 20?25 minutes, until golden-brown and bubbling.
>
> Recipe Tips
>
> This dish can be assemble up to 6 hours ahead and kept in the fridge."
>
> Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-14 8:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 7:17:35 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> On 7/14/2017 4:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote:
>>> I detest zucchini in any form.
>>>
>>> D likes them cooked one way ... I spiralise them so they look like
>>> spaghetti, add spiralised carrot, chopped leeks and diced mushrooms. I
>>> use them as a side dish.

>> lol. here I am responding to 2 people that (I think) have me killfiled.
>> Oh well.
>>
>> I've always wondered why so many people dislike zucchini. Maybe because
>> many people grow so much, then try to eat it all they get sick of it?

> I don't know, either. My husband dislikes it.
>
> I enjoy it from time to time, but I find it rather boring.
> Generally I cook it in spaghetti sauce, or grill it. To
> me, it's important that they be small and not overcooked.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

At a dinner party many years ago, the hostess stir-fried some slices
with cumin. I've tried to duplicate it since but unsuccessfully. It was
so delicious that even Wayne would have enjoyed it:-)
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-14 2:18 PM, graham wrote:

>>> lol. here I am responding to 2 people that (I think) have me killfiled.
>>> Oh well.
>>>
>>> I've always wondered why so many people dislike zucchini. Maybe because
>>> many people grow so much, then try to eat it all they get sick of it?

>> I don't know, either. My husband dislikes it.
>>
>> I enjoy it from time to time, but I find it rather boring.
>> Generally I cook it in spaghetti sauce, or grill it. To
>> me, it's important that they be small and not overcooked.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> At a dinner party many years ago, the hostess stir-fried some slices
> with cumin. I've tried to duplicate it since but unsuccessfully. It was
> so delicious that even Wayne would have enjoyed it:-)

I never had it when I was a kid. My wife introduced me to it and her
method was delicious. She slices it into rounds about 1/4 thick,
blanches them and then fries them in olive oil and tops with freshly
grated Parmesan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2017 6:27 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 10:44:36 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>
>> I don't like hummus anyway. Love chick peas, they're great in certain
>> spicy soups. Hummus, ho hum. Love sesame seeds. But mashed together
>> with chick peas (aka garbanzo beans) to make some sort of dip, no thanks.

> It's cold, and you dip cold food into it. Of course you don't like it.
> It doesn't take Carnac the Magnificent to predict that.
>
> I prefer my hummus a little on the chunky side. Pureed smooth, it
> is a little boring.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I eat plenty of cold dips with chips. I just don't like hummus.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2017 11:23 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote in message ...
>
> On 7/12/2017 9:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Of course the hosts all ooohed and ahhhhed over it everything she did
>> with cauliflower. She even riced it with mushrooms, said bake it for
>> 30 minutes, then used it as a sub for beef in tacos. Okay...
>>
>> Fortunately, cauliflower is pretty bland so it does take on the
>> flavours of whatever you add to it.

> I can't tell you how many times I've heard how delicious cauliflower
> rice is. I'd try it if someone put it in front of me, if nothing else
> I like cauliflower.
>
> nancy
>
> ==
>
> I don't but D loves cauliflower rice. I put it through a fine slicer
> and it breaks up into 'rice'. I cook it in the MW for 9 minutes. No
> water.
>
> The reason I don't put it through a 'grater' is that the 'rice' gets
> too small and it goes mushy when cooked.

In the riced cauliflower for stir-fried "rice" dish (they used a fancy
food processor) they did say to add it last because it releases a lot of
water and gets mushy otherwise.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-14 6:26 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/13/2017 6:27 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I eat plenty of cold dips with chips. I just don't like hummus.

I can tell you that I had enough bad hummus over the years that I
didn't like it for a long time. Then I had some really good hummus and
I was an instant convert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message news
On 7/13/2017 11:23 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote in message ...
>
> On 7/12/2017 9:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Of course the hosts all ooohed and ahhhhed over it everything she did
>> with cauliflower. She even riced it with mushrooms, said bake it for
>> 30 minutes, then used it as a sub for beef in tacos. Okay...
>>
>> Fortunately, cauliflower is pretty bland so it does take on the
>> flavours of whatever you add to it.

> I can't tell you how many times I've heard how delicious cauliflower
> rice is. I'd try it if someone put it in front of me, if nothing else
> I like cauliflower.
>
> nancy
>
> ==
>
> I don't but D loves cauliflower rice. I put it through a fine slicer
> and it breaks up into 'rice'. I cook it in the MW for 9 minutes. No
> water.
>
> The reason I don't put it through a 'grater' is that the 'rice' gets
> too small and it goes mushy when cooked.

In the riced cauliflower for stir-fried "rice" dish (they used a fancy
food processor) they did say to add it last because it releases a lot of
water and gets mushy otherwise.

Jill

==

Thanks, I hadn't seen that

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2017 4:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message news > On 7/13/2017 11:23 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 7/12/2017 9:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Of course the hosts all ooohed and ahhhhed over it everything she did
>>> with cauliflower. She even riced it with mushrooms, said bake it for
>>> 30 minutes, then used it as a sub for beef in tacos. Okay...
>>>
>>> Fortunately, cauliflower is pretty bland so it does take on the
>>> flavours of whatever you add to it.

>> I can't tell you how many times I've heard how delicious cauliflower
>> rice is. I'd try it if someone put it in front of me, if nothing else
>> I like cauliflower.
>>
>> nancy
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I don't but D loves cauliflower rice. I put it through a fine slicer
>> and it breaks up into 'rice'. I cook it in the MW for 9 minutes. No
>> water.
>>
>> The reason I don't put it through a 'grater' is that the 'rice' gets
>> too small and it goes mushy when cooked.
>>

> In the riced cauliflower for stir-fried "rice" dish (they used a fancy
> food processor) they did say to add it last because it releases a lot of
> water and gets mushy otherwise.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Thanks, I hadn't seen that

I didn't type out the specifics because it's just something I heard on a
cooking segment on a morning TV show in the US (The Today Show). I'm
sure if I looked I could find all the cauliflower recipes from that
segment. Ah yes! here's the link, hope you can view it:

http://www.today.com/food/cauliflowe...s-more-t113671

The recipes don't necessarily include the commentary I heard when
watching the show. But she specifically said ( the fried "rice") to
add it last because it releases a lot of water.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message news
On 7/15/2017 4:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message news > On 7/13/2017 11:23 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 7/12/2017 9:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Of course the hosts all ooohed and ahhhhed over it everything she did
>>> with cauliflower. She even riced it with mushrooms, said bake it for
>>> 30 minutes, then used it as a sub for beef in tacos. Okay...
>>>
>>> Fortunately, cauliflower is pretty bland so it does take on the
>>> flavours of whatever you add to it.

>> I can't tell you how many times I've heard how delicious cauliflower
>> rice is. I'd try it if someone put it in front of me, if nothing else
>> I like cauliflower.
>>
>> nancy
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I don't but D loves cauliflower rice. I put it through a fine slicer
>> and it breaks up into 'rice'. I cook it in the MW for 9 minutes. No
>> water.
>>
>> The reason I don't put it through a 'grater' is that the 'rice' gets
>> too small and it goes mushy when cooked.
>>

> In the riced cauliflower for stir-fried "rice" dish (they used a fancy
> food processor) they did say to add it last because it releases a lot of
> water and gets mushy otherwise.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Thanks, I hadn't seen that

I didn't type out the specifics because it's just something I heard on a
cooking segment on a morning TV show in the US (The Today Show). I'm
sure if I looked I could find all the cauliflower recipes from that
segment. Ah yes! here's the link, hope you can view it:

http://www.today.com/food/cauliflowe...s-more-t113671

The recipes don't necessarily include the commentary I heard when
watching the show. But she specifically said ( the fried "rice") to
add it last because it releases a lot of water.

Jill

==

Yes I can see it Thanks for that, it has given me new ideas to use it

I can understand how cauli loses water when it is very finely chopped. I
only tried that once. As I said, it turned into mush

When I make mine, I cook the additions first and then add the cauli just to
heat through.

It seems to work well enough for D)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2017 10:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >
> On 7/15/2017 4:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >> On 7/13/2017 11:23 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I can't tell you how many times I've heard how delicious cauliflower
>>> rice is. I'd try it if someone put it in front of me, if nothing else
>>> I like cauliflower.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I don't but D loves cauliflower rice. I put it through a fine slicer
>>> and it breaks up into 'rice'. I cook it in the MW for 9 minutes. No
>>> water.
>>>
>>> The reason I don't put it through a 'grater' is that the 'rice' gets
>>> too small and it goes mushy when cooked.
>>>

>> In the riced cauliflower for stir-fried "rice" dish (they used a fancy
>> food processor) they did say to add it last because it releases a lot of
>> water and gets mushy otherwise.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Thanks, I hadn't seen that
>>

> I didn't type out the specifics because it's just something I heard on a
> cooking segment on a morning TV show in the US (The Today Show). I'm
> sure if I looked I could find all the cauliflower recipes from that
> segment. Ah yes! here's the link, hope you can view it:
>
> http://www.today.com/food/cauliflowe...s-more-t113671
>

> The recipes don't necessarily include the commentary I heard when
> watching the show. But she specifically said ( the fried "rice") to
> add it last because it releases a lot of water.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Yes I can see it Thanks for that, it has given me new ideas to use it

Good!

> I can understand how cauli loses water when it is very finely chopped.
> I only tried that once. As I said, it turned into mush

Yes, it will.

> When I make mine, I cook the additions first and then add the cauli just
> to heat through.
>
> It seems to work well enough for D)

That's pretty much what I said, eh? Add the cauliflower last.

I baked (roasted?) a whole head of caulflower in the oven once. I have
no idea where I got the notion. I trimmed the leaves, patted the entire
head of cauliflower with some buttered seasoned breadcrumbs. I do
believe there was some freshly grated Parmesan cheese in there. Put it
in an oven safe baking dish with about 1 inch water. Baked it at 350F
for about an hour, until fork tender. OMG, it was delicious!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message news
On 7/15/2017 10:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >
> On 7/15/2017 4:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >> On 7/13/2017 11:23 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I can't tell you how many times I've heard how delicious cauliflower
>>> rice is. I'd try it if someone put it in front of me, if nothing else
>>> I like cauliflower.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I don't but D loves cauliflower rice. I put it through a fine slicer
>>> and it breaks up into 'rice'. I cook it in the MW for 9 minutes. No
>>> water.
>>>
>>> The reason I don't put it through a 'grater' is that the 'rice' gets
>>> too small and it goes mushy when cooked.
>>>

>> In the riced cauliflower for stir-fried "rice" dish (they used a fancy
>> food processor) they did say to add it last because it releases a lot of
>> water and gets mushy otherwise.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Thanks, I hadn't seen that
>>

> I didn't type out the specifics because it's just something I heard on a
> cooking segment on a morning TV show in the US (The Today Show). I'm
> sure if I looked I could find all the cauliflower recipes from that
> segment. Ah yes! here's the link, hope you can view it:
>
> http://www.today.com/food/cauliflowe...s-more-t113671
>

> The recipes don't necessarily include the commentary I heard when
> watching the show. But she specifically said ( the fried "rice") to
> add it last because it releases a lot of water.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> Yes I can see it Thanks for that, it has given me new ideas to use it

Good!

> I can understand how cauli loses water when it is very finely chopped.
> I only tried that once. As I said, it turned into mush

Yes, it will.

> When I make mine, I cook the additions first and then add the cauli just
> to heat through.
>
> It seems to work well enough for D)

That's pretty much what I said, eh? Add the cauliflower last.

I baked (roasted?) a whole head of caulflower in the oven once. I have
no idea where I got the notion. I trimmed the leaves, patted the entire
head of cauliflower with some buttered seasoned breadcrumbs. I do
believe there was some freshly grated Parmesan cheese in there. Put it
in an oven safe baking dish with about 1 inch water. Baked it at 350F
for about an hour, until fork tender. OMG, it was delicious!

Jill

==

I thought I had responded to this but I can't see it.

No matter, do you make it a lot? I am thinking that might be something D
might enjoy! I will ask if I remember

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2017 11:44 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >
> I baked (roasted?) a whole head of caulflower in the oven once. I have
> no idea where I got the notion. I trimmed the leaves, patted the entire
> head of cauliflower with some buttered seasoned breadcrumbs. I do
> believe there was some freshly grated Parmesan cheese in there. Put it
> in an oven safe baking dish with about 1 inch water. Baked it at 350F
> for about an hour, until fork tender. OMG, it was delicious!
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> I thought I had responded to this but I can't see it.
>
> No matter, do you make it a lot? I am thinking that might be something
> D might enjoy! I will ask if I remember

I haven't made it in years. I have no idea where I found the recipe.
Some old cookbook no doubt. But it was very tasty. Then again, I love
cauliflower.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message news
On 7/15/2017 11:44 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >
> I baked (roasted?) a whole head of caulflower in the oven once. I have
> no idea where I got the notion. I trimmed the leaves, patted the entire
> head of cauliflower with some buttered seasoned breadcrumbs. I do
> believe there was some freshly grated Parmesan cheese in there. Put it
> in an oven safe baking dish with about 1 inch water. Baked it at 350F
> for about an hour, until fork tender. OMG, it was delicious!
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> I thought I had responded to this but I can't see it.
>
> No matter, do you make it a lot? I am thinking that might be something
> D might enjoy! I will ask if I remember

I haven't made it in years. I have no idea where I found the recipe.
Some old cookbook no doubt. But it was very tasty. Then again, I love
cauliflower.

Jill

==

D gets my share, sorry <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/15/2017 10:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > "jmcquown" wrote in message news > >

> > > In the riced cauliflower for stir-fried "rice" dish (they used a
> > > fancy food processor) they did say to add it last because it
> > > releases a lot of water and gets mushy otherwise.
> > >
> > > Jill
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Thanks, I hadn't seen that
> > >

> > I didn't type out the specifics because it's just something I heard
> > on a cooking segment on a morning TV show in the US (The Today
> > Show). I'm sure if I looked I could find all the cauliflower
> > recipes from that segment. Ah yes! here's the link, hope you can
> > view it:
> >
> > http://www.today.com/food/cauliflowe...wer-fried-rice
> > -tacos-more-t113671
> >

> > The recipes don't necessarily include the commentary I heard when
> > watching the show. But she specifically said ( the fried
> > "rice") to add it last because it releases a lot of water.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Yes I can see it Thanks for that, it has given me new ideas to
> > use it
> >

> Good!
>
> > I can understand how cauli loses water when it is very finely
> > chopped. I only tried that once. As I said, it turned into mush
> >

> Yes, it will.
>
> > When I make mine, I cook the additions first and then add the cauli
> > just to heat through.
> >
> > It seems to work well enough for D)
> >

> That's pretty much what I said, eh? Add the cauliflower last.
>
> I baked (roasted?) a whole head of caulflower in the oven once. I
> have no idea where I got the notion. I trimmed the leaves, patted
> the entire head of cauliflower with some buttered seasoned
> breadcrumbs. I do believe there was some freshly grated Parmesan
> cheese in there. Put it in an oven safe baking dish with about 1
> inch water. Baked it at 350F for about an hour, until fork tender.
> OMG, it was delicious!
>
> Jill

My husband does something like that often enough, though in a covered
stockpot on the stove. Quite good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2017 12:16 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-07-12, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> And there will never be a time in my life when I eat
>> food that comes out of a 3-D printer.

> Howzabout live in a 3D printed house?
>
> nb

Nope! I won't be living in a "tiny house", either. Back in the day
those were called trailers.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_Lewis

> I could live in a small house, but the tiny house is too inconvenient
> for me. Some have strange gyrations to use the toilet or to cook.

Some don't even have an oven. The tiny house concept is not for me. I
don't need a large house but I like a normal size bathroom and shower
space. And a couple of closets.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/15/2017 10:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 7/15/2017 7:29 PM, wrote:
> > > On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 19:14:22 -0400, jmcquown

> > > Not the tiny houses I've been seeing. They are just that, tiny
> > > houses built of the usual building items, wood, plywood, tiling
> > > whatever. With extremely innovative storage capabilities.
> > >
> >> If you see the movie Maud (about Maud Lewis the folk artist from

> NS)
> > > she lived in a tiny house, appx 9 x 12, it's in the museum here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_Lewis

> > I could live in a small house, but the tiny house is too
> > inconvenient for me. Some have strange gyrations to use the toilet
> > or to cook.

> Some don't even have an oven. The tiny house concept is not for me.
> I don't need a large house but I like a normal size bathroom and
> shower space. And a couple of closets.
>
> Jill

I've always been fascinated by them. If it was just me, I'd not mind
it at all. In fact, in a way I have lived in 2 of them. The first was
a 500ft 3 room with an unfinshed loft that I partly finished off to
make a sort of livingroom out of an extra 200ft. The other was an 8ft
x ?48?ft (might have been 50ft) trailer I rented for my last 2 years in
Clemson.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> NS)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_Lewis

>> > I could live in a small house, but the tiny house is too
>> > inconvenient for me. Some have strange gyrations to use the toilet
>> > or to cook.

>> Some don't even have an oven. The tiny house concept is not for me.
>> I don't need a large house but I like a normal size bathroom and
>> shower space. And a couple of closets.
>>
>> Jill

> I've always been fascinated by them. If it was just me, I'd not mind
> it at all. In fact, in a way I have lived in 2 of them. The first was
> a 500ft 3 room with an unfinshed loft that I partly finished off to
> make a sort of livingroom out of an extra 200ft. The other was an 8ft
> x ?48?ft (might have been 50ft) trailer I rented for my last 2 years in
> Clemson.

I can and have had to live in places like motel rooms for extended periods
of time. Some with kitchens, some with only a tiny fridge or fridge and
microwave. But that was out of necessity. I would not choose to live that
way. I like my "stuff" too much.

I do try to continually get rid of that which I don't want or need. And
thankfully a lot of that has stopped now. Some people in my life would seem
to drown me in gifts. Mainly things that they thought were cute or funny or
that they got on sale for a very good price. Or things for the kitchen. Most
of the people I know do not cook so they'd see some gadget and assume that
I'd want it because it could be used for cooking or meal prep. Often, they'd
have no idea what this thing was even for but they would look pleased as
they presented it to me, saying something like... But you don't have one, do
you?

I have seen what happens when people keep too many things and then have to
move to a smaller place or when they die. This presents a headache to
someone else who has to get rid of all the stuff. I do like decorative stuff
but for the most part what I have is small. Because I had to make so many
moves when husband was in the military, I pared that all down, keeping only
things that I could pack by myself in one box. Most of these things are
miniatures, and I don't even really have a lot of those any more.

I also like my rocks. I polished tons of them as a child and have since
gotten a bowl full of them back from my mom. They're in a metal bowl that
was a wedding present for her. My nephew had about the same amount, some of
which I might have polished. I bought a similar bowl to house those. And
then I have crystals. Again, some of of these came from my mom after my dad
died and she had to move. I have since added to my collection with very
specific things. Most of the rocks that I did were given away as gifts and
the few I had left were left behind in the flower beds of our military
housing on Cape Cod. I just got tired of moving them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 00:24:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> NS)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_Lewis

>>> Some don't even have an oven. The tiny house concept is not for me.
>>> I don't need a large house but I like a normal size bathroom and
>>> shower space. And a couple of closets.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I've always been fascinated by them. If it was just me, I'd not mind
>> it at all. In fact, in a way I have lived in 2 of them. The first was
>> a 500ft 3 room with an unfinshed loft that I partly finished off to
>> make a sort of livingroom out of an extra 200ft. The other was an 8ft
>> x ?48?ft (might have been 50ft) trailer I rented for my last 2 years in
>> Clemson.

>I can and have had to live in places like motel rooms for extended periods
>of time. Some with kitchens, some with only a tiny fridge or fridge and
>microwave. But that was out of necessity. I would not choose to live that
>way. I like my "stuff" too much.
>
>I do try to continually get rid of that which I don't want or need. And
>thankfully a lot of that has stopped now. Some people in my life would seem
>to drown me in gifts. Mainly things that they thought were cute or funny or
>that they got on sale for a very good price. Or things for the kitchen. Most
>of the people I know do not cook so they'd see some gadget and assume that
>I'd want it because it could be used for cooking or meal prep. Often, they'd
>have no idea what this thing was even for but they would look pleased as
>they presented it to me, saying something like... But you don't have one, do
>you?
>
>I have seen what happens when people keep too many things and then have to
>move to a smaller place or when they die. This presents a headache to
>someone else who has to get rid of all the stuff. I do like decorative stuff
>but for the most part what I have is small. Because I had to make so many
>moves when husband was in the military, I pared that all down, keeping only
>things that I could pack by myself in one box. Most of these things are
>miniatures, and I don't even really have a lot of those any more.
>
>I also like my rocks. I polished tons of them as a child and have since
>gotten a bowl full of them back from my mom. They're in a metal bowl that
>was a wedding present for her. My nephew had about the same amount, some of
>which I might have polished. I bought a similar bowl to house those. And
>then I have crystals. Again, some of of these came from my mom after my dad
>died and she had to move. I have since added to my collection with very
>specific things. Most of the rocks that I did were given away as gifts and
>the few I had left were left behind in the flower beds of our military
>housing on Cape Cod. I just got tired of moving them.

You'd have a ton more living space if you pared away your unnecessary
verbiage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2017 12:20 PM, notbob wrote:
> Plus, I get a kick outta these homes with cathedral-ceilinged front
> rooms. I see a lotta wasted space. No doubt contractors love 'em, as
> they get to charge outrageous prices for absolutely nothing. 8|
>
> nb

I love watching House Hunters. Oh look! It has a huge grand entryway!
Lovely tiles! What a great chandelier! (Who's going to change that
lightbulb forty feet up?) A total waste of space. All the better to
charge you for, my dear.

I've got a 22 ft. vaulted ceiling in the living room. Guess where all
the cool air goes? Right up and onto the electric bill. Thank goodness
there's good insulation.

When I was growing up, there was always a "living room" that was never
used, except for company. I actually use my living room. My desk is in
one corner of it. I watch the birds out the windows. My cat's toys are
all over it. It's not the untouched formal living room of yesteryear.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:36:49 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>I've got a 22 ft. vaulted ceiling in the living room.

That's over 7 metres! You must live in a church.

>Guess where all the cool air goes? Right up and onto the electric bill.

I thought warm air went up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-16 7:36 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I love watching House Hunters. Oh look! It has a huge grand entryway!
> Lovely tiles! What a great chandelier! (Who's going to change that
> lightbulb forty feet up?) A total waste of space. All the better to
> charge you for, my dear.

Imagine the extra cost of painting or papering a room like that, and the
extra work or expense of window cleaning.

> I've got a 22 ft. vaulted ceiling in the living room. Guess where all
> the cool air goes? Right up and onto the electric bill. Thank goodness
> there's good insulation.

It's the hot air that rises.

> When I was growing up, there was always a "living room" that was never
> used, except for company. I actually use my living room. My desk is in
> one corner of it. I watch the birds out the windows. My cat's toys are
> all over it. It's not the untouched formal living room of yesteryear.

We always used our living room when I was a kid. We ate at the dining
room table, and the good china was used every Sunday. When we visited
my grandparents aunts and uncles we always sat in the living room. One
aunt and uncle lived in a number of beautiful and well appointed homes.
They used their living room for visitors (they had no children). When we
visited their beautiful summer cottage we changed in and out of bathing
suits in the boathouse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-07-16 7:40 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:36:49 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I've got a 22 ft. vaulted ceiling in the living room.

> That's over 7 metres! You must live in a church.

Well, she is a goddess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:06:18 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 9:20:52 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 7/11/2017 12:10 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> >
>> > This is a very interesting read. I can see impact to food cost,
>> > migrant worker hiring and application of fertilizers and pesticides.
>> > Interesting plans for reshaping orchards to flat walls.
>> >
>> > https://www.nbcnews.com/mach
>> >
>> > Janet US
>> >

>> It is interesting. Automation will be needed to efficiently feed 8 or
>> 10 billion people in the future.
>>
>> There will also be some societal changes too. Right now we are in a
>> flux and probably will be for a few years. We want to build a wall to
>> keep people out, but we want our fields picked cheap.
>>
>> Chemicals, especially pesticides will go under a revolution too. I
>> think the quest for organics will push the changes. They probably won't
>> be eliminated but will be more specialized and targeted to do more with
>> less.
>>
>> I also wonder if the earth will have a catastrophic event that will wipe
>> out a large portion of the population. Plague, volcano, war,
>> earthquake, whatever.

>Mostly, humans will be eating synthesized foods made from algae or some other simple, fast growing plant. Mostly, it's going to be generic food material like puppy chow but food will be cheap and there will be enough for most of the world. People will be appalled at the idea of eating animal flesh.

Yes, it's time we took animals out of the food equation. Killing and
eating animals is cruel, barbaric and inefficient.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 12:01:06 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/12/2017 11:33 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:06:18 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> Mostly, humans will be eating synthesized foods made from algae or some other simple, fast growing plant. Mostly, it's going to be generic food material like puppy chow but food will be cheap and there will be enough for most of the world. People will be appalled at the idea of eating animal flesh.

>> The algae tests that I have read about were researching cheap energy
>> (fuel) sources
>>

>I can guarantee you, I will never be eating algae products. I don't eat
>tofu, never will. And there will never be a time in my life when I eat
>food that comes out of a 3-D printer.

If you're not part of the future, you're part of the past.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:56:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-07-16 7:40 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:36:49 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've got a 22 ft. vaulted ceiling in the living room.

>> That's over 7 metres! You must live in a church.

>Well, she is a goddess.

Ah yes, I forgot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:49:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 12:01:14 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>
>> I can guarantee you, I will never be eating algae products. I don't eat
>> tofu, never will. And there will never be a time in my life when I eat
>> food that comes out of a 3-D printer.

>Tofu isn't so bad. It's like fresh mozzarella. White,
>moist, and basically flavorless.
>
>It does absorb other flavors beautifully, though.

That's it. Tofu's basically a test of the cook. Or of the chosen
preparation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2017 7:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-07-16 7:40 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:36:49 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've got a 22 ft. vaulted ceiling in the living room.

>> That's over 7 metres! You must live in a church.

> Well, she is a goddess.

LOL, Dave. 22 feet isn't all that uncommon in houses of the era (1986).
The ceilings in all the other rooms are 9 ft. high. There aren't
overhead lights in them except in the kitchen and bathrooms. Don't have
to climb a ladder to change a bulb in a table lamp.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:49:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 12:01:14 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>>> I can guarantee you, I will never be eating algae products. I don't eat
>>> tofu, never will. And there will never be a time in my life when I eat
>>> food that comes out of a 3-D printer.

>>Tofu isn't so bad. It's like fresh mozzarella. White,
>>moist, and basically flavorless.
>>
>>It does absorb other flavors beautifully, though.

> That's it. Tofu's basically a test of the cook. Or of the chosen
> preparation.

I like fresh mozzarella, especially with basil and tomatoes. Never had tofu
that I liked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:23:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:49:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>>Tofu isn't so bad. It's like fresh mozzarella. White,
>>>moist, and basically flavorless.
>>>
>>>It does absorb other flavors beautifully, though.

>> That's it. Tofu's basically a test of the cook. Or of the chosen
>> preparation.

>I like fresh mozzarella, especially with basil and tomatoes. Never had tofu
>that I liked.

That only means you never had it prepared in a way that you like.