FoodBanter.com

-   -   What cakes are ya'll making for Thanksgiving ? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/44141-re-what-cakes-yall.html)

Puester 16-11-2004 03:14 AM

What cakes are ya'll making for Thanksgiving ?

No cake. Pies. Pumpkin, pecan, and maybe a cheesecake.

gloria p

Puester 16-11-2004 03:14 AM

Puester 16-11-2004 03:14 AM

Wayne Boatwright 16-11-2004 04:05 AM

alan > wrote in
:

If I have time to bake a cake, it will be an Amalgamation Cake. Pies are for
certain.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

zxcvbob 16-11-2004 04:36 AM

Puester wrote:
> No cake. Pies. Pumpkin, pecan, and maybe a cheesecake.
>
> gloria p

Cake?
Pumpkin pie. Pecan pie. And maybe a lemon meringue pie. And a cherry
pie (home-grown cherries are in the freezer) if I have time.

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob 16-11-2004 04:36 AM

zxcvbob 16-11-2004 04:36 AM

zxcvbob 16-11-2004 04:36 AM

Kate Connally 16-11-2004 05:12 PM

alan wrote:

Cakes? On Tday? I don't think so. Tday is
pie day. Pumpkin pie day, for that matter.
You can have others as well, but pumpkin is a
must. This year we're having pumpkin, pecan,
and lemon meringue.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Barbtail 16-11-2004 07:25 PM

No cake this year, just pumpkin pie- it's what everyone wants this year.

I will, however, be making English Christmas Cakes around then so they can
mellow before I give them away. I have these small loaf pans in my cupboards I
thought I'd use this year. I plan to try to decorate the small loafs as Yule
logs- sorta of a take off on Buche De Noel-- won't they be surprised when
they cut into these marzipan-wrapped/royal-iced merengue-mushroom-decorated
nummies to find a fruitcake waiting for them?

*chuckles*

I was thinking of adding a bean to each cake and writing a little blurb about
12th night traditions on the recipe card. Maybe my fruitcakes'll actually get
eaten!

*smiles*

Barb

Zspider 17-11-2004 12:51 AM

I've been thinking about a German chocolate cake, but I've never
made one before and a look at the icing recipe made me nervous
that it wouldn't thicken up. I haven't a lot of experience with
candy and icing recipes that require boiling, but absolutely
none of them have ever managed to firm up enough to be right.

Wayne (am I right?) gave me some good suggestions on how to
make sure a brownie icing firmed up, but I haven't tried that
yet.

I live in fear of icing and candy recipes that call for boiling.

Michael

Wayne Boatwright 17-11-2004 01:13 AM

(Zspider) wrote in
om:

> I've been thinking about a German chocolate cake, but I've never
> made one before and a look at the icing recipe made me nervous
> that it wouldn't thicken up. I haven't a lot of experience with
> candy and icing recipes that require boiling, but absolutely
> none of them have ever managed to firm up enough to be right.
>
> Wayne (am I right?) gave me some good suggestions on how to
> make sure a brownie icing firmed up, but I haven't tried that
> yet.
>
> I live in fear of icing and candy recipes that call for boiling.
>
> Michael

Michael, as many times as I've made German chocolate cake, I have
absolutely never had the filling fail to thicken. The coconut in the
filling helps a lot to bind the it together. If that's the kind of cake
you want, I'd go for it and not worry about the filling.

Wayne Boatwright 17-11-2004 01:13 AM

(Zspider) wrote in
om:

Wayne Boatwright 17-11-2004 01:13 AM

(Zspider) wrote in
om:

ItsJoanNotJoAnn 17-11-2004 03:37 AM

Kate Connally > wrote in message >...
> alan wrote:
>
> Cakes? On Tday? I don't think so. Tday is
> pie day. Pumpkin pie day, for that matter.
> You can have others as well, but pumpkin is a
> must. This year we're having pumpkin, pecan,
> and lemon meringue.
> Kate

I don't know what other desserts will be brought to the feast, but I'm
thinking of making a Pumpkin Roll made with Splenda. Anyone tried
using this? It's the regular Splenda, not the Baking Splenda.

ItsJoanNotJoAnn 17-11-2004 03:37 AM

ItsJoanNotJoAnn 17-11-2004 03:37 AM

Siobhan Perricone 17-11-2004 11:54 AM

On 16 Nov 2004 19:37:26 -0800, (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
wrote:

>I don't know what other desserts will be brought to the feast, but I'm
>thinking of making a Pumpkin Roll made with Splenda. Anyone tried
>using this? It's the regular Splenda, not the Baking Splenda.

The reason they have baking splenda now is because using only splenda in
baking changes the chemical process significantly. You have to be careful
about the recipe you use and make modifications in it so that it'll come
out right because the splenda just doesn't react the same way that sugar
does when baking. Baked goods made with splenda tend to be less moist, to
break more easily, and to not brown, among other things.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

Siobhan Perricone 17-11-2004 11:54 AM

Nancy Dooley 17-11-2004 05:13 PM

Puester > wrote in message >...
> No cake. Pies. Pumpkin, pecan, and maybe a cheesecake.
>
> gloria p

Cake? CAKE?? Whoever wants cake at Thanksgiving???

Pie rules!

N. (Pumpkin, and cherry or blueberry)

Nancy Dooley 17-11-2004 05:13 PM

ItsJoanNotJoAnn 17-11-2004 08:54 PM

Siobhan Perricone > wrote in message >. ..
> On 16 Nov 2004 19:37:26 -0800, (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
> wrote:
>
> >I don't know what other desserts will be brought to the feast, but I'm
> >thinking of making a Pumpkin Roll made with Splenda. Anyone tried
> >using this? It's the regular Splenda, not the Baking Splenda.

> The reason they have baking splenda now is because using only splenda in
> baking changes the chemical process significantly. You have to be careful
> about the recipe you use and make modifications in it so that it'll come
> out right because the splenda just doesn't react the same way that sugar
> does when baking. Baked goods made with splenda tend to be less moist, to
> break more easily, and to not brown, among other things.

So you think I should spring for the Splenda Baking concoction for the
cake portion of the Pumpkin Roll?? I was going to use the regular
Splenda for the cream cheese filling.

ItsJoanNotJoAnn 17-11-2004 08:54 PM

Siobhan Perricone 18-11-2004 04:50 AM

On 17 Nov 2004 12:54:03 -0800, (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
wrote:

>Siobhan Perricone > wrote in message >. ..
>> On 16 Nov 2004 19:37:26 -0800,
(ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I don't know what other desserts will be brought to the feast, but I'm
>> >thinking of making a Pumpkin Roll made with Splenda. Anyone tried
>> >using this? It's the regular Splenda, not the Baking Splenda.

>> The reason they have baking splenda now is because using only splenda in
>> baking changes the chemical process significantly. You have to be careful
>> about the recipe you use and make modifications in it so that it'll come
>> out right because the splenda just doesn't react the same way that sugar
>> does when baking. Baked goods made with splenda tend to be less moist, to
>> break more easily, and to not brown, among other things.

>So you think I should spring for the Splenda Baking concoction for the
>cake portion of the Pumpkin Roll?? I was going to use the regular
>Splenda for the cream cheese filling.

Yeah, that sounds good. The filling shouldn't be adversely impacted. I use
plain ole splenda in cheesecakes and custard pies without any need to
adjust moisture.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,