Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ID this stove utensil?

It has a wooden handle and the metal part is a 7" to 8" disk with circles of tiny holes punched in it. Thanks.

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-06-24 1:30 PM, wrote:
> It has a wooden handle and the metal part is a 7" to 8" disk with circles of tiny holes punched in it. Thanks.

A spatter lid?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 1:35:52 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 6/24/2017 10:30 AM, lenona wrote:
> > It has a wooden handle and the metal part is a 7" to 8" disk with circles of tiny holes punched in it. Thanks.
> >

> > Lenona.
> >

> strainer spoon

Maybe, except that it's flat, and the photos I looked at just now all show the metal part as having a "bowl" in it.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 1:50:43 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

> A spatter lid?

It DOES look sort of like this -

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/c...FR1LDQodGl8GZw

- except for not having the crescent depressions in it - or the circular one. Also, mine seems to have two layers of metal, for some reason.

Why the holes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 2:09:12 PM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:

> Sounds like a heat diffuser.

That looks about right:

https://www.popsugar.com/food/What-H...fuser-23947284

(It includes instructions. Personally, I don't have trouble with keeping the flame really low when needed.)

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2017 2:33 PM, wrote:
> On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 2:09:12 PM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
>> Sounds like a heat diffuser.

> That looks about right:

https://www.popsugar.com/food/What-H...fuser-23947284

> (It includes instructions. Personally, I don't have trouble with keeping the flame really low when needed.)

It helps to spread the heat more evenly, so you don't have hot spots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2017 2:07 PM, wrote:
> On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 1:50:43 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> A spatter lid?

> It DOES look sort of like this -

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/c...FR1LDQodGl8GZw

> - except for not having the crescent depressions in it - or the circular one. Also, mine seems to have two layers of metal, for some reason.
>
> Why the holes?

It it did not have holes it would be a lid. The holes let the steam out
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat 24 Jun 2017 10:35:51a, Taxed and Spent told us...
>
>> On 6/24/2017 10:30 AM, wrote:
>>> It has a wooden handle and the metal part is a 7" to 8" disk with
>>> circles of tiny holes punched in it. Thanks.
>>>

>>> Lenona.
>>>

>> strainer spoon
>>

> Nope, flame tamer.

It could be lots of things. NO pic!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lenona321 wrote:

> It has a wooden handle and the metal part is a 7" to 8" disk with
> circles of tiny holes punched in it. Thanks.

Could be a skimmer, used to pick cooked ingredients from hot water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 12:30:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> It has a wooden handle and the metal part is a 7" to 8" disk with circles of tiny holes punched in it. Thanks.
>
> Lenona.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, a picture would be most useful or are we
playing 20 questions here?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 24-Jun-2017, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:52:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> strainer spoon
> >>

> > Nope, flame tamer.

> A flame tamer with a wooden handle doesn't make any sense.
>
> -sw

Yet, they exist. I have one like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00012K5P2?tag=mydegun-20
===

I have one just like that)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> strainer spoon

>> Nope, flame tamer.

>A flame tamer with a wooden handle doesn't make any sense.

Nothing makes sense to a dwarf brain.
https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-144-He...ds=flame+tamer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 10:48:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, a picture would be most useful or are we
> playing 20 questions here?

Did you miss what I posted earlier?

That looks about right:

https://www.popsugar.com/food/What-H...fuser-23947284

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:07:40 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 10:48:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>

> > Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, a picture would be most useful or are we
> > playing 20 questions here?

> Did you miss what I posted earlier?
>
> That looks about right:
>
> https://www.popsugar.com/food/What-H...fuser-23947284
>

> Lenona.

I see no link to a site or a picture in your original post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 11:26:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:

> I see no link to a site or a picture in your original post.

So I don't have the right kind of camera. Many people don't. I figured it wouldn't be long before someone would make the right suggestion and THEN I could find the right photo. Which is what happened.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:51:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 11:26:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
>

> > I see no link to a site or a picture in your original post.

> So I don't have the right kind of camera. Many people don't. I figured it wouldn't be long before someone would make the right suggestion and THEN I could find the right photo. Which is what happened.

In other words you wanted people here to identify a utensil you had
no clue what it was and you were incapable of doing your own search.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 1:57:31 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2017-06-26 2:26 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> > There have been others who have posted wanting to know what a certain
> > item or utensil was, but they also included a picture that they had
> > either taken or had search for on the Internet.
> >

> It does make it a little easier. Then there was the guy who seemed to
> spend all his time cruising EBay looking for things to quiz us on.

Yes, as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 2:16:55 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> Next time this happens, let's all come back with ridiculous "finds".

I'm game!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 4:14:22 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> Did you inform the authorities?

No, I informed you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2017 4:00 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 26-Jun-2017, wrote:
>
>> On 2017-06-26 2:26 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 26 Jun 2017 10:59:02a, Ophelia told us...

>>> There have been others who have posted wanting to know what a
>>> certain
>>> item or utensil was, but they also included a picture that
>>> they had
>>> either taken or had search for on the Internet.
>>>

>> It does make it a little easier. Then there was the guy who
>> seemed to
>> spend all his time cruising

> I thought that was fun; certainly more interesting/entertaining
> than the too frequent bickering and name-calling.

dumb ass!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2017 7:20 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 26-Jun-2017, Taxed and Spent >
> wrote:

>>> I thought that was fun; certainly more
>>> interesting/entertaining
>>> than the too frequent bickering and name-calling.
>>>

>> dumb ass!

> Oh, I'm mortally wounded by a quick, er, I mean dim, wit. 8-)

OK, thanks. I think we got it covered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 2:26:56 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> There have been others who have posted wanting to know what a certain
> item or utensil was, but they also included a picture that they had
> either taken or had search for on the Internet.

Would someone please enlighten me on how one searches for a photo when one doesn't know the right keywords to use?

It's like trying to search for a song title when all you can do is sing "la-la-la." One time, when I tried to do that, the program (I forget which) couldn't even identify "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 11:24:35 AM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 6/27/2017 8:10 AM, lenona wrote:
> > On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 2:26:56 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >

> >> There have been others who have posted wanting to know what a certain
> >> item or utensil was, but they also included a picture that they had
> >> either taken or had search for on the Internet.

> > Would someone please enlighten me on how one searches for a photo when one doesn't know the right keywords to use?
> >
> > It's like trying to search for a song title when all you can do is sing "la-la-la." One time, when I tried to do that, the program (I forget which) couldn't even identify "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."
> >

> > Lenona.
> >

> I just searched of "kitchen utensil with holes" and looked at the images
> returned by the search. Then I quickly found this:
>
> https://www.etsy.com/listing/1922544...l-utensil-with
>
> now you know.

Thank you. I might have assumed that a search like that wouldn't begin to narrow it down, but now I see otherwise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> ObFood: Cooking beans - pintos in one pan, mayocoba in another. I
> have no idea what I'm going to do with them yet.
>
> -sw

Had to look up the Mayocoba. I think that is what is called Canary
Beans here at the Hispanic grocery place near me. A distinct yellow
but they don't totally stay that pretty color on cooking.

They are more in effect like butter beans and would do well if you want
a bean that melts into the pot over longer crockpot cookery. Call it,
bean soup. If you were to mix the 2 types, expect the pintos to stay
fairly well shaped as these form the thick soup base.

Last use if right that they are the same thing, was to add some
leftover Canary beans to a base Juk (rice porridge) made with chicken
stock and Jamacian curry plus mushrooms and small cubes of cooked ham.
Different but i was playing in the kitchen and liked it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1922544...lat-metal-uten
> > sil-with
> >
> > now you know.
> >

> This is the most common type of flame tamer and has been around for
> at least 65 years. Back in the 1950s they usually cost no more than
> a couple of dollars or so. New ones today are still inexpensive.
>
> Some folks used them instead of a double boiler.

Yes, extremely common for those of us with gas ovens. I have 2 of them.

the most disgusting kitchen utensil i've ever seen blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 44 09-05-2010 03:05 PM
Please help me identify a kitchen utensil....what is this? GFU General Cooking 48 05-06-2009 05:52 AM
The one kitchen utensil you'll never get rid of? notbob General Cooking 2 10-05-2007 11:56 AM
knife utensil elaine General Cooking 30 11-02-2007 08:04 PM
Neat new kitchen utensil LMG Cooking Equipment 10 15-10-2003 03:59 PM