Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ID this stove utensil?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1922544...flat-metal-ute
> > > n sil-with
> > >
> > > now you know.
> > >

> > This is the most common type of flame tamer and has been around
> > for
> > at least 65 years. Back in the 1950s they usually cost no more
> > than
> > a couple of dollars or so. New ones today are still
> > inexpensive.
> >
> > Some folks used them instead of a double boiler.
> >
> > --

> I may give it a try for very low simmering; but, I bought mine
> originally to use with my Bodum Santos Vacuum Coffee Maker. I
> had heard that sometimes direct flame could cause the glass to
> break; that appears to be a generalization about the state of
> modern glass cooking vessels.

It's designed for low simmering needs. You don't use them on a
glasstop/smoothe top range, but on a cast iron, they are essential.
They can be useful too on an electric range.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 17:07:01 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> ObFood: Cooking beans - pintos in one pan, mayocoba in another. I
> >> have no idea what I'm going to do with them yet.

> > Had to look up the Mayocoba. I think that is what is called Canary
> > Beans here at the Hispanic grocery place near me. A distinct yellow
> > but they don't totally stay that pretty color on cooking.
> >
> > They are more in effect like butter beans and would do well if you
> > want a bean that melts into the pot over longer crockpot cookery.
> > Call it, bean soup. If you were to mix the 2 types, expect the
> > pintos to stay fairly well shaped as these form the thick soup base.

> Mayocobas act just like pintos and keep their shape just fine. They
> have a smoother flesh and better texture, but nothing like a butter or
> lima bean.
>
> I made refried beans form the pinto, and a mashed up the mayocoba
> beans and added them to a red chili base with ground beef and will use
> that for topping natural-skinned hot dogs tonight.
>
> -sw

Ok, not the same as a Canary bean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.etsy.com/listing/192254476/flame-f

> > > I may give it a try for very low simmering; but, I bought
> > > mine
> > > originally to use with my Bodum Santos Vacuum Coffee Maker.
> > > had heard that sometimes direct flame could cause the glass
> > > break; that appears to be a generalization about the state of
> > > modern glass cooking vessels.

> > It's designed for low simmering needs. You don't use them on a
> > glasstop/smoothe top range, but on a cast iron, they are
> > essential.
> > They can be useful too on an electric range.
> >
> > --

> You may have misunderstood my reply. I don't have a glass
> stovetop; I had heard that my glass coffee maker might need the
> flame tamer to protect it from the flame of my gas stove.

No, was just adding to where it is used is all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 3:06:01 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Some folks used them instead of a double boiler.

Good to know.

the most disgusting kitchen utensil i've ever seen blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 44 09-05-2010 03:05 PM
Please help me identify a kitchen utensil....what is this? GFU General Cooking 48 05-06-2009 05:52 AM
The one kitchen utensil you'll never get rid of? notbob General Cooking 2 10-05-2007 11:56 AM
knife utensil elaine General Cooking 30 11-02-2007 08:04 PM
Neat new kitchen utensil LMG Cooking Equipment 10 15-10-2003 03:59 PM