Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tristar Strawberries

I am growing these this year. Got tons of berries but they are just starting
to ripen. Alas, our sun that we were supposed to get today just did not
happen. Anyway... I picked 4 of them the other day. They looked ripe but
they were very sour. Everything I red about them indicates that they are
sweet. Did I just pick them too soon? Anyone know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 3:37:05 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am growing these this year. Got tons of berries but they are just starting
> to ripen. Alas, our sun that we were supposed to get today just did not
> happen. Anyway... I picked 4 of them the other day. They looked ripe but
> they were very sour. Everything I red about them indicates that they are
> sweet. Did I just pick them too soon? Anyone know?

did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a nice strong strawberry smell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 16:01:58 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 3:37:05 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am growing these this year. Got tons of berries but they are just starting
>> to ripen. Alas, our sun that we were supposed to get today just did not
>> happen. Anyway... I picked 4 of them the other day. They looked ripe but
>> they were very sour. Everything I red about them indicates that they are
>> sweet. Did I just pick them too soon? Anyone know?

>did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a nice strong strawberry smell

do the sniff test. Strongly scented strawberries are ripe and sweet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am growing these this year. Got tons of berries but they are just starting
>> to ripen. Alas, our sun that we were supposed to get today just did not
>> happen. Anyway... I picked 4 of them the other day. They looked ripe but
>> they were very sour. Everything I red about them indicates that they are
>> sweet. Did I just pick them too soon? Anyone know?

>did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a nice strong strawberry smell

Bought a 2 lb container of Foxy strawberries today for $3.99, they
look good, will eat them tomorrow with the last of the Rediwhip.
Tonight's dinner was grilled Eyetalian Saw-Seege on hard Porteuguese
rolls with sliced on the vine tommy toes and a few lettuce leaves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 3:37:05 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am growing these this year. Got tons of berries but they are just
>> starting
>> to ripen. Alas, our sun that we were supposed to get today just did not
>> happen. Anyway... I picked 4 of them the other day. They looked ripe but
>> they were very sour. Everything I red about them indicates that they are
>> sweet. Did I just pick them too soon? Anyone know?

> did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a nice
> strong strawberry smell

I don't think they did. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 16:01:58 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>>On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 3:37:05 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I am growing these this year. Got tons of berries but they are just
>>> starting
>>> to ripen. Alas, our sun that we were supposed to get today just did not
>>> happen. Anyway... I picked 4 of them the other day. They looked ripe but
>>> they were very sour. Everything I red about them indicates that they are
>>> sweet. Did I just pick them too soon? Anyone know?

>>did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a nice
>>strong strawberry smell

> do the sniff test. Strongly scented strawberries are ripe and sweet

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2017 8:42 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a
>> nice strong strawberry smell

> I don't think they did. Thanks.

Sounds like they need more time. Nof familiar with that particular type
but there is no berry like a fresh local berry. Theones in thw
supermarket look good but have little flavor. They should be red inside
too, not white like inside some of the Driscoll berries at the store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/19/2017 8:42 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a nice
>>> strong strawberry smell

>> I don't think they did. Thanks.

> Sounds like they need more time. Nof familiar with that particular type
> but there is no berry like a fresh local berry. Theones in thw
> supermarket look good but have little flavor. They should be red inside
> too, not white like inside some of the Driscoll berries at the store.

I am new to this kind but I bought them specifically because they are suited
to growing in a pot. There are actually strawberries that are all white.
I've never actually seen or tasted them. Just read about them when looking
for plants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 17:42:00 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a nice
>>> strong strawberry smell

>> I don't think they did. Thanks.

> You gotta get your face right down there next to the ground and give
> them a big whiff before you pick them.

I never had to do that before with the others that I had. Hmmm...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:05:43 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 19:32:27 -0400, wrote:
>
>> Tonight's dinner was grilled Eyetalian Saw-Seege on hard Porteuguese
>> rolls with sliced on the vine tommy toes and a few lettuce leaves.

>Lettuce and tomato on an Italian sausage sandwich? Talk about
>culinary moronism, that really takes first place, there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

There's a rule about what can go on a sandwich with Italian sausage?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:05:43 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 19:32:27 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>> Tonight's dinner was grilled Eyetalian Saw-Seege on hard Porteuguese
>>> rolls with sliced on the vine tommy toes and a few lettuce leaves.

>>Lettuce and tomato on an Italian sausage sandwich? Talk about
>>culinary moronism, that really takes first place, there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

> There's a rule about what can go on a sandwich with Italian sausage?

They're served hot. The most common things they'd be served with are peppers
and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I could even see tomatoes,
perhaps. But not lettuce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:31:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:05:43 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>Lettuce and tomato on an Italian sausage sandwich? Talk about
>>>culinary moronism, that really takes first place, there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>> There's a rule about what can go on a sandwich with Italian sausage?

>They're served hot. The most common things they'd be served with are peppers
>and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I could even see tomatoes,
>perhaps. But not lettuce.

But if you have them cold...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 19:32:27 -0400, wrote:
>
>> Tonight's dinner was grilled Eyetalian Saw-Seege on hard Porteuguese
>> rolls with sliced on the vine tommy toes and a few lettuce leaves.

>Lettuce and tomato on an Italian sausage sandwich? Talk about
>culinary moronism, that really takes first place, there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

There's a rule about what can go on a sandwich with Italian sausage?
==

Heh who knew)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Dienstag, 20. Juni 2017 10:10:41 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:31:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
> .. .

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

> >> There's a rule about what can go on a sandwich with Italian sausage?

> >They're served hot. The most common things they'd be served with are peppers
> >and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I could even see tomatoes,
> >perhaps. But not lettuce.

> But if you have them cold...

Yes indeed! I love the combination of a hard sausage (shut up! ;-)) with
tomato, lettuce, a tiny little bit of butter or a few drops of tasty EVO
on the fresh/toasted white bread/bun/flatbread, some freshly ground black
pepper and maybe - let's go crazy! - a little bit of hard cheese and a few
leaves of fresh basil.

Besides that: Is it forbidden to put lettuce in a bun with a hot hamburger?
Asking for a friend...

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 01:24:07 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>Am Dienstag, 20. Juni 2017 10:10:41 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:31:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
>> .. .

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>> >They're served hot. The most common things they'd be served with are peppers
>> >and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I could even see tomatoes,
>> >perhaps. But not lettuce.

>> But if you have them cold...

>Yes indeed! I love the combination of a hard sausage (shut up! ;-)) with
>tomato, lettuce, a tiny little bit of butter or a few drops of tasty EVO
>on the fresh/toasted white bread/bun/flatbread, some freshly ground black
>pepper and maybe - let's go crazy! - a little bit of hard cheese and a few
>leaves of fresh basil.
>
>Besides that: Is it forbidden to put lettuce in a bun with a hot hamburger?
>Asking for a friend...

It's the first time I hear about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 09:17:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:05:43 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 19:32:27 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>> Tonight's dinner was grilled Eyetalian Saw-Seege on hard Porteuguese
>>> rolls with sliced on the vine tommy toes and a few lettuce leaves.

>>Lettuce and tomato on an Italian sausage sandwich? Talk about
>>culinary moronism, that really takes first place, there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>There's a rule about what can go on a sandwich with Italian sausage?
>==
>
>Heh who knew)

I didn't It seems to be a matter of personal preference only.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-06-20 4:24 AM, sanne wrote:
> Besides that: Is it forbidden to put lettuce in a bun with a hot
> hamburger? Asking for a friend...

Around here, hamburgers are typically served with sliced tomato, onion,
pickle and lettuce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 18:09:17 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:31:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>>> There's a rule about what can go on a sandwich with Italian sausage?

>>They're served hot. The most common things they'd be served with are peppers
>>and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I could even see tomatoes,
>>perhaps. But not lettuce.

>But if you have them cold...

Exactly... these were cold, halved lenghtwise... left overs go in the
fridge and so we have them cold often. I like cold kielbasa
sandwiches too, also cold hot dog sandwiches. I don't see how they're
different from other coldcuts. Sometimes they're good diced and fried
in an omelet. I know no rule that Eyetalian saw-seege must be eaten
Eyetalian style.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 18:09:17 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:31:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>>>They're served hot. The most common things they'd be served with are
>>>peppers
>>>and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I could even see tomatoes,
>>>perhaps. But not lettuce.

>>But if you have them cold...

> Exactly... these were cold, halved lenghtwise... left overs go in the
> fridge and so we have them cold often. I like cold kielbasa
> sandwiches too, also cold hot dog sandwiches. I don't see how they're
> different from other coldcuts. Sometimes they're good diced and fried
> in an omelet. I know no rule that Eyetalian saw-seege must be eaten
> Eyetalian style.

I often eat various types of sausage cold, I especially like good hot dogs
like Casper's straight out of the fridge, no bread.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 01:24:07 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>Am Dienstag, 20. Juni 2017 10:10:41 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:31:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
>> .. .

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>> >They're served hot. The most common things they'd be served with are peppers
>> >and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I could even see tomatoes,
>> >perhaps. But not lettuce.

>> But if you have them cold...

>Yes indeed! I love the combination of a hard sausage (shut up! ;-)) with
>tomato, lettuce, a tiny little bit of butter or a few drops of tasty EVO
>on the fresh/toasted white bread/bun/flatbread, some freshly ground black
>pepper and maybe - let's go crazy! - a little bit of hard cheese and a few
>leaves of fresh basil.
>
>Besides that: Is it forbidden to put lettuce in a bun with a hot hamburger?
>Asking for a friend...
>
>Bye, Sanne.

The dwarf has a very limited food repertoire, primarily hot peppers
and $1/lb tube steak.

There are other lettuces besides iceberg that are fine on a burger...
and I enjoy cold burger sandwiches too, just like a cold meat loaf
sandwich, good with lettuce, tomato, and a horseradish dressing. I
often make Russian style burgers (Kotleti), lightly breaded and fried,
I'll make as many 12 ouncers as fit in my large skillet (7), extras go
in the fridge for sandwiches.
http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/ma...icken-kotleti/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:06:35 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 17:42:00 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a nice
>>> strong strawberry smell

>> I don't think they did. Thanks.

>You gotta get your face right down there next to the ground and give
>them a big whiff before you pick them.
>
>-sw

Easy for a dwarf... dog poop miner!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 05:49:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 18:09:17 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:

m...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>>>But if you have them cold...

>> Exactly... these were cold, halved lenghtwise... left overs go in the
>> fridge and so we have them cold often. I like cold kielbasa
>> sandwiches too, also cold hot dog sandwiches. I don't see how they're
>> different from other coldcuts. Sometimes they're good diced and fried
>> in an omelet. I know no rule that Eyetalian saw-seege must be eaten
>> Eyetalian style.

>I often eat various types of sausage cold, I especially like good hot dogs
>like Casper's straight out of the fridge, no bread.
>
>Cheri

I do likewise, sometimes dipped in mustard. Cold hot dog coins are
good in kosher deli style potato salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2017 7:01 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 3:37:05 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am growing these this year. Got tons of berries but they are just starting
>> to ripen. Alas, our sun that we were supposed to get today just did not
>> happen. Anyway... I picked 4 of them the other day. They looked ripe but
>> they were very sour. Everything I red about them indicates that they are
>> sweet. Did I just pick them too soon? Anyone know?

> did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a nice strong strawberry smell

It's probably too early to pick strawberries in the pacific northwest,
even if they *are* red.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2017 9:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/19/2017 8:42 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a
>>> nice strong strawberry smell

>> I don't think they did. Thanks.

> Sounds like they need more time. Nof familiar with that particular type
> but there is no berry like a fresh local berry.

I haven't seen anything but imported strawberries at grocery stores.
Fresh local strawberries aren't available at the farm stands down here
yet, either. (Other berries are showing up.) I think she's jumping the
gun just because the strawberries were red.

My mother planted a strawberry patch (no idea of the variety) next to
the house we lived in in west TN. IIRC, we picked the strawberries in July.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>>>Yes indeed! I love the combination of a hard sausage (shut up! ;-)) with
>>>tomato, lettuce, a tiny little bit of butter or a few drops of tasty EVO
>>>on the fresh/toasted white bread/bun/flatbread, some freshly ground black
>>>pepper and maybe - let's go crazy! - a little bit of hard cheese and a few
>>>leaves of fresh basil.
>>>
>>>Besides that: Is it forbidden to put lettuce in a bun with a hot hamburger?
>>>Asking for a friend...
>>>
>>>Bye, Sanne.

>> The dwarf has a very limited food repertoire,

>Hardly. I just don't have TIAD. You're an idiot.
>
>> There are other lettuces besides iceberg that are fine on a burger...

>We're not talking about hamburgers. We're talking about Italian
>sausages on rolls. Only an idiot puts lettuce and tomato on them and
>then implies they're authentic.
>
>Again - "Italian Sausage Sandwich" from Google images. How many do
>you see with L & T? How many with completely different toppings?
>
>https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch
>
>Culinary moron.
>
>-sw

is it forbidden to add mushrooms? I like mushrooms and a bit of
cheese with my sandwich
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:06:35 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> >> I don't think they did. Thanks.

> >You gotta get your face right down there next to the ground and give
> >them a big whiff before you pick them.
> >
> >-sw

> Easy for a dwarf... dog poop miner!

Lol...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sandwiches, was: Tristar Strawberries

wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

> >> The dwarf has a very limited food repertoire,

> >Hardly. I just don't have TIAD. You're an idiot.
> >
> >> There are other lettuces besides iceberg that are fine on a burger...

> >We're not talking about hamburgers. We're talking about Italian
> >sausages on rolls. Only an idiot puts lettuce and tomato on them and
> >then implies they're authentic.
> >
> >Again - "Italian Sausage Sandwich" from Google images. How many do
> >you see with L & T? How many with completely different toppings?
> >
> >https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch
> >
> >Culinary moron.
> >
> >-sw

> is it forbidden to add mushrooms? I like mushrooms and a bit of
> cheese with my sandwich
> Janet US

Go ahead! Join us culinary morons! ;-D

Sorry for FQ and replying to your post, but google has an issue with some
postings.

@Sqwertz The "Italian" doesn't describe the sandwich, but the sausage.

Sheldon wrote:
"Tonight's dinner was grilled Eyetalian Saw-Seege on hard Porteuguese
rolls with sliced on the vine tommy toes and a few lettuce leaves."

And the rolls... I don't see anything here claiming this being an
"Authentic Italian sandwich". Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Case closed. :-)

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 11:03:05 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:06:35 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >You gotta get your face right down there next to the ground and give
>> >them a big whiff before you pick them.
>> >
>> >-sw

>> Easy for a dwarf... dog poop miner!

>Lol...

The Seven Dwarfs were miners. our dwarf mines poop.
And I have four more cooked saw-seege in the fridge... Gianelli are
sold in four packs, I grilled 16 a few days ago. whenever they are on
sale I stock up.... extras go in the fridge.
A local NY company:
https://www.gianellisausage.com/
Most gals love the 7" hot links... I like the pattys.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Stop trying to cover up your TIAD. Cold Italian sausage is TIAD too.
> With all those bits of hard congealed fats. That's another culinary
> moron move.
>
> -sw

I am cooking Italian sausage tonight. I definitely would not want to
eat it cold. Italian sausage definitely contains a lot of fat. Cold
fat? UGH.

BTW, did he buy this Italian sausage or use the grinder he's always
going on and on about? Might be "mystery meat".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 12:20:37 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:

> >> I don't think they did. Thanks.

> > Sounds like they need more time. Nof familiar with that particular type
> > but there is no berry like a fresh local berry.

> I haven't seen anything but imported strawberries at grocery stores.
> Fresh local strawberries aren't available at the farm stands down here
> yet, either. (Other berries are showing up.) I think she's jumping the
> gun just because the strawberries were red.

I saw some local berries last Sunday, but they didn't seem very
fragrant. Probably they were picked too soon.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 11:24:52 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 10:44:56 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>Hardly. I just don't have TIAD. You're an idiot.
>>
>>> There are other lettuces besides iceberg that are fine on a burger...

>>We're not talking about hamburgers. We're talking about Italian
>>sausages on rolls. Only an idiot puts lettuce and tomato on them and
>>then implies they're authentic.
>>
>>Again - "Italian Sausage Sandwich" from Google images. How many do
>>you see with L & T? How many with completely different toppings?
>>
>>https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch
>>
>>Culinary moron.
>>
>>-sw

>is it forbidden to add mushrooms? I like mushrooms and a bit of
>cheese with my sandwich
>Janet US

Oh oh, we'll have to wait and see if that makes you a culinary moron.
I almost can't wait for the verdict.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-06-20 12:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/19/2017 7:01 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 3:37:05 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I am growing these this year. Got tons of berries but they are just
>>> starting
>>> to ripen. Alas, our sun that we were supposed to get today just did not
>>> happen. Anyway... I picked 4 of them the other day. They looked ripe but
>>> they were very sour. Everything I red about them indicates that they are
>>> sweet. Did I just pick them too soon? Anyone know?

>> did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a
>> nice strong strawberry smell
>>

> It's probably too early to pick strawberries in the pacific northwest,
> even if they *are* red.

If they are red they are ripe. They grow pretty quickly, starting off
as little greenish yellow nodes, get bigger and then turn red. They are
completely red they are ready to pick. If left on much longer the get
mushy and fall off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-06-20 12:20 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/19/2017 9:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I haven't seen anything but imported strawberries at grocery stores.
> Fresh local strawberries aren't available at the farm stands down here
> yet, either. (Other berries are showing up.) I think she's jumping the
> gun just because the strawberries were red.
>
> My mother planted a strawberry patch (no idea of the variety) next to
> the house we lived in in west TN. IIRC, we picked the strawberries in
> July.

The grocery stores around here are selling imported strawberries. The
produce stands are selling local. Local berries tend to be more
expensive but there is no comparison in the taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2017 4:44 AM, Bruce wrote:
> susanne wrote:
>> Besides that: Is it forbidden to put lettuce in a bun with a hot hamburger?
>> Asking for a friend...

> It's the first time I hear about it.

Very common in the USA. Go to a diner and ask for a hamburger with the
works and you will get{

- beef patty on a bun with
- lettuce
- tomato
- mayo
- mustard
- ketchup
- onion

That's the basics but you can also add pickle slices, mushrooms, bacon,
cheese, etc etc.

Whenever I cook homemade burgers I try to add most of those things. I'll
add lettuce if I have it here but that's rare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 15:59:43 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 6/20/2017 4:44 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> susanne wrote:
>>> Besides that: Is it forbidden to put lettuce in a bun with a hot hamburger?
>>> Asking for a friend...

>> It's the first time I hear about it.

>Very common in the USA. Go to a diner and ask for a hamburger with the
>works and you will get{
>
>- beef patty on a bun with
>- lettuce
>- tomato
>- mayo
>- mustard
>- ketchup
>- onion

I wasn't clear. I meant that this was the first time I've heard about
lettuce being forbidden in a bun or sandwich. But it was probably just
another little mood swing of the representative from Texas.

(...)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2017 1:24 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> is it forbidden to add mushrooms? I like mushrooms and a bit of
> cheese with my sandwich

Mushroom and onions (and cheese) are hard to beat on many sandwiches,
pizza, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-06-20 4:19 PM, Gary wrote:
> On 6/20/2017 1:24 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> is it forbidden to add mushrooms? I like mushrooms and a bit of
>> cheese with my sandwich

> Mushroom and onions (and cheese) are hard to beat on many sandwiches,
> pizza, etc.

I was only in Italy for two days. I picked up a sandwich at shop in the
train station and it had mushrooms. We have his word that you can't
have mushrooms in an Italian sandwich and we have my experience of the
one and only sandwich in Italy having mushrooms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...ich&source=lnm
> s&tbm=isch >>> >> >>> >> There's a rule about what can go on a
> sandwich with Italian sausage? >>> >

> are peppers >>> >and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I could
> even see tomatoes, >>> >perhaps. But not lettuce.

> > > Yes indeed! I love the combination of a hard sausage (shut up!
> > > ;-)) with tomato, lettuce, a tiny little bit of butter or a few
> > > drops of tasty EVO on the fresh/toasted white
> > > bread/bun/flatbread, some freshly ground black pepper and maybe -
> > > let's go crazy! - a little bit of hard cheese and a few leaves of
> > > fresh basil.
> > >
> > > Besides that: Is it forbidden to put lettuce in a bun with a hot
> > > hamburger? Asking for a friend...
> > >
> > > Bye, Sanne.

> > The dwarf has a very limited food repertoire,

> Hardly. I just don't have TIAD. You're an idiot.
>
> > There are other lettuces besides iceberg that are fine on a
> > burger...

> We're not talking about hamburgers. We're talking about Italian
> sausages on rolls. Only an idiot puts lettuce and tomato on them and
> then implies they're authentic.
>
> Again - "Italian Sausage Sandwich" from Google images. How many do
> you see with L & T? How many with completely different toppings?
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...&source=lnms&t
> bm=isch
>
> Culinary moron.
>
> -sw

Hi Steve, it's not the normal thing for them and agreed the pictures
don't show it often, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it if
served soon.

A popular local place here does them with coleslaw which I like better.
It's a rich creamy and savory, mustardy one (no sugar that you can tell
but lots of onions). You can also get the slaw on the side and it
makes a wonderful contrast to the hot sausage with the cold slaw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>> >Hardly. I just don't have TIAD. You're an idiot.

>> >We're not talking about hamburgers. We're talking about Italian
>> >sausages on rolls. Only an idiot puts lettuce and tomato on them and
>> >then implies they're authentic.
>> >
>> >Again - "Italian Sausage Sandwich" from Google images. How many do
>> >you see with L & T? How many with completely different toppings?
>> >
>> >https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch
>> >
>> >Culinary moron.
>> >
>> >-sw

>> is it forbidden to add mushrooms? I like mushrooms and a bit of
>> cheese with my sandwich
>> Janet US

> Go ahead! Join us culinary morons! ;-D
>
> Sorry for FQ and replying to your post, but google has an issue with some
> postings.
>
> @Sqwertz The "Italian" doesn't describe the sandwich, but the sausage.
>
> Sheldon wrote:
> "Tonight's dinner was grilled Eyetalian Saw-Seege on hard Porteuguese
> rolls with sliced on the vine tommy toes and a few lettuce leaves."
>
> And the rolls... I don't see anything here claiming this being an
> "Authentic Italian sandwich". Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
> Case closed. :-)
>
> Bye, Sanne.

the Italian sausage sandwich is a thing that you put onion and peppers
on, not lettuce and tomato

you don't put lettuce and tomato on a bratwurst do you? no, you put
onions and mustard on it

if I were to order an Italian sausage sandwich with lettuce and tomato
at any of the Italian beef places I used to frequent in Chicago, they
literally would laugh at me