Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sandwiches, was: Tristar Strawberries

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

> >> is it forbidden to add mushrooms? I like mushrooms and a bit of
> >> cheese with my sandwich
> >> Janet US

> > Go ahead! Join us culinary morons! ;-D
> >
> > Sorry for FQ and replying to your post, but google has an issue with some
> > postings.
> >
> > @Sqwertz The "Italian" doesn't describe the sandwich, but the sausage.
> >
> > Sheldon wrote:
> > "Tonight's dinner was grilled Eyetalian Saw-Seege on hard Porteuguese
> > rolls with sliced on the vine tommy toes and a few lettuce leaves."
> >
> > And the rolls... I don't see anything here claiming this being an
> > "Authentic Italian sandwich". Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
> > Case closed. :-)
> >
> > Bye, Sanne.

> the Italian sausage sandwich is a thing that you put onion and peppers
> on, not lettuce and tomato
>
> you don't put lettuce and tomato on a bratwurst do you? no, you put
> onions and mustard on it
>
> if I were to order an Italian sausage sandwich with lettuce and tomato
> at any of the Italian beef places I used to frequent in Chicago, they
> literally would laugh at me

Eyetalian beef was once a "thing"...now that John Belushi has croaked, not so much...

And as some others do, I put coleslaw on my sausage sandwiches...

--
Best
Friend
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tristar Strawberries

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...ich&source=lnm
> s&tbm=isch >>>> >> >>>> >> There's a rule about what can go on a
> sandwich with Italian sausage? >>>> >

> with are peppers >>>> >and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I
> could even see tomatoes, >>>> >perhaps. But not lettuce.

> >> The dwarf has a very limited food repertoire,

> > Hardly. I just don't have TIAD. You're an idiot.
> >
> >> There are other lettuces besides iceberg that are fine on a

> burger...
> >
> > We're not talking about hamburgers. We're talking about Italian
> > sausages on rolls. Only an idiot puts lettuce and tomato on them
> > and then implies they're authentic.
> >
> > Again - "Italian Sausage Sandwich" from Google images. How many do
> > you see with L & T? How many with completely different toppings?
> >
> > https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...ch&source=lnms
> > &tbm=isch
> >
> > Culinary moron.
> >
> > -sw

> is it forbidden to add mushrooms? I like mushrooms and a bit of
> cheese with my sandwich
> Janet US

Grin, nothing is forbidden there and I like mushrooms with these.
Specifically the feel of canned ones works best here for me. Call it a
mouth feel issue.

I'm guessing the cole slaw common here isn't that common since the
pictures don't show any that seem to have it, but we like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...e+sandwich&sou

> sausage?

> > > But if you have them cold...

> > Exactly... these were cold, halved lenghtwise...

> Bullshit. You said they were grilled, not leftover cold. You always
> say if they were leftovers. No, you're definitely lying now.
>
> Stop trying to cover up your TIAD. Cold Italian sausage is TIAD too.
> With all those bits of hard congealed fats. That's another culinary
> moron move.
>
> -sw

Hi Steve, I think you entered thread drift there? The initial was over
hot ones. Then it shifted to leftovers.

Several of us make our own sausage and I think Sheldon is one of them?
When we do, we often cook a few extra and use them later for cold meals
like a lunch sandwich.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news

>>> I don't think they did. Thanks.

>> Sounds like they need more time. Nof familiar with that particular type
>> but there is no berry like a fresh local berry.

> I haven't seen anything but imported strawberries at grocery stores. Fresh
> local strawberries aren't available at the farm stands down here yet,
> either. (Other berries are showing up.) I think she's jumping the gun
> just because the strawberries were red.
>
> My mother planted a strawberry patch (no idea of the variety) next to the
> house we lived in in west TN. IIRC, we picked the strawberries in July.
>
> Jill

I don't know about the Seattle area, cooler there, but here the local
strawberries have been really good for about 3 weeks now.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2017 3:01 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 12:20:37 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:

>>> Sounds like they need more time. Nof familiar with that particular type
>>> but there is no berry like a fresh local berry.

>> I haven't seen anything but imported strawberries at grocery stores.
>> Fresh local strawberries aren't available at the farm stands down here
>> yet, either. (Other berries are showing up.) I think she's jumping the
>> gun just because the strawberries were red.

> I saw some local berries last Sunday, but they didn't seem very
> fragrant. Probably they were picked too soon.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's what I'm thinking. I've seen very juicy looking fresh
blueberries and blackberries, even raspberries. But I haven't seen any
strawberries that looked very good or smelled fragrant. Not yet.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2017 7:38 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Sounds like they need more time. Nof familiar with that particular type
>>> but there is no berry like a fresh local berry.

>> I haven't seen anything but imported strawberries at grocery stores.
>> Fresh local strawberries aren't available at the farm stands down here
>> yet, either. (Other berries are showing up.) I think she's jumping
>> the gun just because the strawberries were red.
>>
>> My mother planted a strawberry patch (no idea of the variety) next to
>> the house we lived in in west TN. IIRC, we picked the strawberries in
>> July.
>>
>> Jill

> I don't know about the Seattle area, cooler there, but here the local
> strawberries have been really good for about 3 weeks now.
>
> Cheri

She wrote "Got tons of berries but they are just starting
to ripen. Alas, our sun that we were supposed to get today just did not
happen. Anyway... I picked 4 of them the other day. They looked ripe but
they were very sour."

All things considered, I think she rushed things and picked them too early.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2017 10:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I haven't seen anything but imported strawberries at grocery stores.
> Fresh local strawberries aren't available at the farm stands down here
> yet, either. (Other berries are showing up.) I think she's jumping the
> gun just because the strawberries were red.
>
> My mother planted a strawberry patch (no idea of the variety) next to
> the house we lived in in west TN. IIRC, we picked the strawberries in
> July.
>
> Jill

I was in San Diego county a few weeks ago and the u-pick fields were
already ripe. Most of the farmers' markets also had local berries
(certified grown in Cal.) They were excellent. The Central Valley gets
hot early in the se4ason.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/20/2017 9:32 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 6/20/2017 10:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I haven't seen anything but imported strawberries at grocery stores.
>> Fresh local strawberries aren't available at the farm stands down here
>> yet, either. (Other berries are showing up.) I think she's jumping the
>> gun just because the strawberries were red.
>>
>> My mother planted a strawberry patch (no idea of the variety) next to
>> the house we lived in in west TN. IIRC, we picked the strawberries in
>> July.
>>
>> Jill

> I was in San Diego county a few weeks ago and the u-pick fields were
> already ripe. Most of the farmers' markets also had local berries
> (certified grown in Cal.) They were excellent. The Central Valley gets
> hot early in the se4ason.
>
> gloria p

Nice to see you again, gloria! Julie lives near Seattle. By all
accounts it's not San Diego.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria p wrote:
>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I haven't seen anything but imported strawberries at grocery stores.
>> Fresh local strawberries aren't available at the farm stands down here
>> yet, either. (Other berries are showing up.) I think she's jumping the
>> gun just because the strawberries were red.
>>
>> My mother planted a strawberry patch (no idea of the variety) next to
>> the house we lived in in west TN. IIRC, we picked the strawberries in
>> July.

>I was in San Diego county a few weeks ago and the u-pick fields were
>already ripe. Most of the farmers' markets also had local berries
>(certified grown in Cal.) They were excellent. The Central Valley gets
>hot early in the season.

I bought berries this morning, strawberries from Salinas, CA...
blueberries from Hammonton, NJ.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news

>>> I don't think they did. Thanks.

>> Sounds like they need more time. Nof familiar with that particular type
>> but there is no berry like a fresh local berry.

> I haven't seen anything but imported strawberries at grocery stores. Fresh
> local strawberries aren't available at the farm stands down here yet,
> either. (Other berries are showing up.) I think she's jumping the gun
> just because the strawberries were red.
>
> My mother planted a strawberry patch (no idea of the variety) next to the
> house we lived in in west TN. IIRC, we picked the strawberries in July.
>
> Jill

The U Pick farms opened a couple of weeks ago and my friends have been
picking from home for about the same length of time. But... Those are well
established plants. Mine are newly planted. Lots of red ones now but no
strawberry smell. Supposed to warm up tomorrow. Maybe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:31:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>>> There's a rule about what can go on a sandwich with Italian sausage?

>>They're served hot. The most common things they'd be served with are
>>peppers
>>and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I could even see tomatoes,
>>perhaps. But not lettuce.

> But if you have them cold...

Cold sausage sounds nasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 15:59:43 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>>> It's the first time I hear about it.

>>Very common in the USA. Go to a diner and ask for a hamburger with the
>>works and you will get{
>>
>>- beef patty on a bun with
>>- lettuce
>>- tomato
>>- mayo
>>- mustard
>>- ketchup
>>- onion

> I wasn't clear. I meant that this was the first time I've heard about
> lettuce being forbidden in a bun or sandwich. But it was probably just
> another little mood swing of the representative from Texas.
>
> (...)

I just don't think lettuce goes with sausage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>>> The dwarf has a very limited food repertoire,

>>Hardly. I just don't have TIAD. You're an idiot.
>>
>>> There are other lettuces besides iceberg that are fine on a burger...

>>We're not talking about hamburgers. We're talking about Italian
>>sausages on rolls. Only an idiot puts lettuce and tomato on them and
>>then implies they're authentic.
>>
>>Again - "Italian Sausage Sandwich" from Google images. How many do
>>you see with L & T? How many with completely different toppings?
>>
>>https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch
>>
>>Culinary moron.
>>
>>-sw

> is it forbidden to add mushrooms? I like mushrooms and a bit of
> cheese with my sandwich
> Janet US

Those would be okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-06-20 4:19 PM, Gary wrote:
>> On 6/20/2017 1:24 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> is it forbidden to add mushrooms? I like mushrooms and a bit of
>>> cheese with my sandwich

>> Mushroom and onions (and cheese) are hard to beat on many sandwiches,
>> pizza, etc.

> I was only in Italy for two days. I picked up a sandwich at shop in the
> train station and it had mushrooms. We have his word that you can't have
> mushrooms in an Italian sandwich and we have my experience of the one and
> only sandwich in Italy having mushrooms.

We're not talking about an Italian sandwich. We're talking about Italian
sausage on a roll. Certainly there are cold sandwiches in Italy. Paninis
too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> Porteuguese >>> >>>> rolls with sliced on the vine tommy toes and a
>> few lettuce leaves. >>> >>>

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...ich&source=lnm
>> s&tbm=isch >>> >> >>> >> There's a rule about what can go on a
>> sandwich with Italian sausage? >>> >

>> are peppers >>> >and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I could
>> even see tomatoes, >>> >perhaps. But not lettuce.

>> > The dwarf has a very limited food repertoire,

>> Hardly. I just don't have TIAD. You're an idiot.
>>
>> > There are other lettuces besides iceberg that are fine on a
>> > burger...

>> We're not talking about hamburgers. We're talking about Italian
>> sausages on rolls. Only an idiot puts lettuce and tomato on them and
>> then implies they're authentic.
>>
>> Again - "Italian Sausage Sandwich" from Google images. How many do
>> you see with L & T? How many with completely different toppings?
>>
>> https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...&source=lnms&t
>> bm=isch
>>
>> Culinary moron.
>>
>> -sw

> Hi Steve, it's not the normal thing for them and agreed the pictures
> don't show it often, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it if
> served soon.
>
> A popular local place here does them with coleslaw which I like better.
> It's a rich creamy and savory, mustardy one (no sugar that you can tell
> but lots of onions). You can also get the slaw on the side and it
> makes a wonderful contrast to the hot sausage with the cold slaw.

Now that is SERIOUSLY wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 6/19/2017 7:01 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 3:37:05 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I am growing these this year. Got tons of berries but they are just
>>> starting
>>> to ripen. Alas, our sun that we were supposed to get today just did not
>>> happen. Anyway... I picked 4 of them the other day. They looked ripe but
>>> they were very sour. Everything I red about them indicates that they are
>>> sweet. Did I just pick them too soon? Anyone know?

>> did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a nice
>> strong strawberry smell
>>

> It's probably too early to pick strawberries in the pacific northwest,
> even if they *are* red.

Nope. My friends and the U Pick places have been picking for weeks. The
difference likely is that mine are newly planted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-06-20 12:10 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> did they smell like a strawberry, if they are ripe they will have a nice
>>> strong strawberry smell
>>>

>> It's probably too early to pick strawberries in the pacific northwest,
>> even if they *are* red.
>>

> If they are red they are ripe. They grow pretty quickly, starting off as
> little greenish yellow nodes, get bigger and then turn red. They are
> completely red they are ready to pick. If left on much longer the get
> mushy and fall off.

These were red and quite small, round. Could be because they are new plants?
Still some round ones and other that are shaped like strawberries. None have
a strawberry smell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 19:34:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Very common in the USA. Go to a diner and ask for a hamburger with the
>>>works and you will get{
>>>
>>>- beef patty on a bun with
>>>- lettuce
>>>- tomato
>>>- mayo
>>>- mustard
>>>- ketchup
>>>- onion

>> I wasn't clear. I meant that this was the first time I've heard about
>> lettuce being forbidden in a bun or sandwich. But it was probably just
>> another little mood swing of the representative from Texas.
>>
>> (...)

>I just don't think lettuce goes with sausage.

If I'd eat a sausage, any lettuce wouldn't be in my way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 19:33:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:31:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>>>They're served hot. The most common things they'd be served with are
>>>peppers
>>>and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I could even see tomatoes,
>>>perhaps. But not lettuce.

>> But if you have them cold...

>Cold sausage sounds nasty.

Don't you eat cold salami? Wait, there are many things you don't eat.
Let me rephrase it: don't many people eat cold salami?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 19:33:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:31:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>>> But if you have them cold...

>>Cold sausage sounds nasty.

> Don't you eat cold salami? Wait, there are many things you don't eat.
> Let me rephrase it: don't many people eat cold salami?

I have used hard salami in pasta salad. That's cold. Is salami a sausage? I
don't know. I can't stand the stuff. What else is it used for? I think I
have also put it in Easter pie along with other meats but I can't stand that
either. We never had it when I was growing up. Only time I can recall from
my childhood was an episode of The Partridge Family when the oldest two kids
said they could go for a salami sandwich. So I had heard of it but beyond
that, I got nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 04:05:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 19:33:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

om...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>>>Cold sausage sounds nasty.

>> Don't you eat cold salami? Wait, there are many things you don't eat.
>> Let me rephrase it: don't many people eat cold salami?

>I have used hard salami in pasta salad. That's cold. Is salami a sausage? I
>don't know. I can't stand the stuff. What else is it used for? I think I
>have also put it in Easter pie along with other meats but I can't stand that
>either. We never had it when I was growing up. Only time I can recall from
>my childhood was an episode of The Partridge Family when the oldest two kids
>said they could go for a salami sandwich. So I had heard of it but beyond
>that, I got nothing.

Yes, I think salami's a sausage.

I don't know if this is international, but in the Netherlands,
salami's sliced cold and thin to be put on bread. I think that's
called cold cuts?

<https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/boterham-met-salami-1388493.jpg>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 7:30:59 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 04:05:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 19:33:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> om...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

> >> Don't you eat cold salami? Wait, there are many things you don't eat.
> >> Let me rephrase it: don't many people eat cold salami?

> >I have used hard salami in pasta salad. That's cold. Is salami a sausage? I
> >don't know. I can't stand the stuff. What else is it used for? I think I
> >have also put it in Easter pie along with other meats but I can't stand that
> >either. We never had it when I was growing up. Only time I can recall from
> >my childhood was an episode of The Partridge Family when the oldest two kids
> >said they could go for a salami sandwich. So I had heard of it but beyond
> >that, I got nothing.

> Yes, I think salami's a sausage.

Someone will probably tell me I don't know what I'm talking about,
but salami is a type of sausage that is cured, fermented, and
somewhat dried.

> I don't know if this is international, but in the Netherlands,
> salami's sliced cold and thin to be put on bread. I think that's
> called cold cuts?
>
> <https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/boterham-met-salami-1388493.jpg>

Yes, salami is used that way in the U.S. I've seen it cut into
a fairly large dice and used in cold pasta salads, tossed salads,
and other salad-like dishes.

We've got a pretty wide variety of types of salami in the U.S.,
from German-style, to Italian-style, to some that are uniquely
American.

It's also eaten hot, although I'd say that's not extremely common.
I know a place where you can get salami added to a hamburger,
you can get it on pizza, and there are any number of sandwich shops
where you can get it heated on a sub.

Pepperoni is a salami, and that's extremely common on pizza.

What Julie doesn't know about sausage (of all kinds) could fill a
large book. Since she doesn't care for it, I don't expect her
to know very much about it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:07:42 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"

wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>> > Go ahead! Join us culinary morons! ;-D
>> >
>> > Sorry for FQ and replying to your post, but google has an issue with some
>> > postings.
>> >
>> > @Sqwertz The "Italian" doesn't describe the sandwich, but the sausage.
>> >
>> > Sheldon wrote:
>> > "Tonight's dinner was grilled Eyetalian Saw-Seege on hard Porteuguese
>> > rolls with sliced on the vine tommy toes and a few lettuce leaves."
>> >
>> > And the rolls... I don't see anything here claiming this being an
>> > "Authentic Italian sandwich". Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
>> > Case closed. :-)
>> >
>> > Bye, Sanne.

>> the Italian sausage sandwich is a thing that you put onion and peppers
>> on, not lettuce and tomato
>>
>> you don't put lettuce and tomato on a bratwurst do you? no, you put
>> onions and mustard on it
>>
>> if I were to order an Italian sausage sandwich with lettuce and tomato
>> at any of the Italian beef places I used to frequent in Chicago, they
>> literally would laugh at me

>Eyetalian beef was once a "thing"...now that John Belushi has croaked, not so much...

Eyetalian roastbeef is sold at most every deli in NY, only I don't
much care for how it's seasoned. Besides, I rarely buy regular
roastbeef at delis, it's ridiculously expensive at ~$12/lb and also
contains too much fat. I prefer to buy roastbeef from the meat case
for half that price or less and cook it myself.

>And as some others do, I put coleslaw on my sausage sandwiches...

I prefer coleslaw as a side... the sandwich I like coleslaw on is a
tongue on seeded rye. At Ben's kosher deli:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wwny/1...in/pool-eater/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:06:35 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> >> I don't think they did. Thanks.

> >You gotta get your face right down there next to the ground and give
> >them a big whiff before you pick them.
> >
> >-sw

> Easy for a dwarf... dog poop miner!

Let us be charitable towards Steve...after all he is all excited that it's *** Pwide Month, so he is busy packing up fudge and relishing the chance to gobble down on some choice chorizo...and his head is spinning from all the choices he has to make for gowns and make-up for his participation in the Austin Dwag Queen Beauty Pageant.

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 06:07:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 7:30:59 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 04:05:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> om...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>> >I have used hard salami in pasta salad. That's cold. Is salami a sausage? I
>> >don't know. I can't stand the stuff. What else is it used for? I think I
>> >have also put it in Easter pie along with other meats but I can't stand that
>> >either. We never had it when I was growing up. Only time I can recall from
>> >my childhood was an episode of The Partridge Family when the oldest two kids
>> >said they could go for a salami sandwich. So I had heard of it but beyond
>> >that, I got nothing.

>> Yes, I think salami's a sausage.

>Someone will probably tell me I don't know what I'm talking about,
>but salami is a type of sausage that is cured, fermented, and
>somewhat dried.
>
>> I don't know if this is international, but in the Netherlands,
>> salami's sliced cold and thin to be put on bread. I think that's
>> called cold cuts?
>>
>> <https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/boterham-met-salami-1388493.jpg>

>Yes, salami is used that way in the U.S. I've seen it cut into
>a fairly large dice and used in cold pasta salads, tossed salads,
>and other salad-like dishes.
>
>We've got a pretty wide variety of types of salami in the U.S.,
>from German-style, to Italian-style, to some that are uniquely
>American.
>
>It's also eaten hot, although I'd say that's not extremely common.
>I know a place where you can get salami added to a hamburger,
>you can get it on pizza, and there are any number of sandwich shops
>where you can get it heated on a sub.
>
>Pepperoni is a salami, and that's extremely common on pizza.
>
>What Julie doesn't know about sausage (of all kinds) could fill a
>large book. Since she doesn't care for it, I don't expect her
>to know very much about it.

I don't know much about sausage either, but I grew up with a few
types: salami and metworst, for instance. I always thought the
difference between salami and metworst was the presence or absence of
garlic, but there's probably also salami without garlic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metworst
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >>Porteuguese >>> >>>> rolls with sliced on the vine tommy toes and a
> >>few lettuce leaves. >>> >>>

> about >>>>> >>>culinary moronism, that really takes first place,
> there. >>>>> >>>

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...e+sandwich&sou
> >>s&tbm=isch >>> >> >>> >> There's a rule about what can go on a
> >>sandwich with Italian sausage? >>> >

> with >>are peppers >>> >and onions. Maybe cheese and tomato sauce. I
> could >>even see tomatoes, >>> >perhaps. But not lettuce.

> - >>> > let's go crazy! - a little bit of hard cheese and a few
> leaves of >>> > fresh basil.

> > > Hardly. I just don't have TIAD. You're an idiot.

> > > We're not talking about hamburgers. We're talking about Italian
> > > sausages on rolls. Only an idiot puts lettuce and tomato on them
> > > and then implies they're authentic.
> > >
> > > Again - "Italian Sausage Sandwich" from Google images. How many
> > > do you see with L & T? How many with completely different
> > > toppings?
> > >
> > > https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...wich&source=ln
> > > ms&t bm=isch
> > >
> > > Culinary moron.
> > >
> > > -sw

> > Hi Steve, it's not the normal thing for them and agreed the pictures
> > don't show it often, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with
> > it if served soon.
> >
> > A popular local place here does them with coleslaw which I like
> > better. It's a rich creamy and savory, mustardy one (no sugar that
> > you can tell but lots of onions). You can also get the slaw on the
> > side and it makes a wonderful contrast to the hot sausage with the
> > cold slaw.

> Now that is SERIOUSLY wrong.

Why? Because you aren't used to it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 3:33:02 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 06:07:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 7:30:59 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 04:05:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> .. .

> >> om...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

> >> Yes, I think salami's a sausage.

> >Someone will probably tell me I don't know what I'm talking about,
> >but salami is a type of sausage that is cured, fermented, and
> >somewhat dried.
> >
> >> I don't know if this is international, but in the Netherlands,
> >> salami's sliced cold and thin to be put on bread. I think that's
> >> called cold cuts?
> >>
> >> <https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/boterham-met-salami-1388493.jpg>

> >Yes, salami is used that way in the U.S. I've seen it cut into
> >a fairly large dice and used in cold pasta salads, tossed salads,
> >and other salad-like dishes.
> >
> >We've got a pretty wide variety of types of salami in the U.S.,
> >from German-style, to Italian-style, to some that are uniquely
> >American.
> >
> >It's also eaten hot, although I'd say that's not extremely common.
> >I know a place where you can get salami added to a hamburger,
> >you can get it on pizza, and there are any number of sandwich shops
> >where you can get it heated on a sub.
> >
> >Pepperoni is a salami, and that's extremely common on pizza.
> >
> >What Julie doesn't know about sausage (of all kinds) could fill a
> >large book. Since she doesn't care for it, I don't expect her
> >to know very much about it.

> I don't know much about sausage either, but I grew up with a few
> types: salami and metworst, for instance. I always thought the
> difference between salami and metworst was the presence or absence of
> garlic, but there's probably also salami without garlic.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metworst

Metworst looks wonderful. I tried to find out if it's cured, fermented,
or what. It might ferment naturally as it dries.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 13:12:04 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 3:33:02 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 06:07:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Someone will probably tell me I don't know what I'm talking about,
>> >but salami is a type of sausage that is cured, fermented, and
>> >somewhat dried.

>> >Yes, salami is used that way in the U.S. I've seen it cut into
>> >a fairly large dice and used in cold pasta salads, tossed salads,
>> >and other salad-like dishes.
>> >
>> >We've got a pretty wide variety of types of salami in the U.S.,
>> >from German-style, to Italian-style, to some that are uniquely
>> >American.
>> >
>> >It's also eaten hot, although I'd say that's not extremely common.
>> >I know a place where you can get salami added to a hamburger,
>> >you can get it on pizza, and there are any number of sandwich shops
>> >where you can get it heated on a sub.
>> >
>> >Pepperoni is a salami, and that's extremely common on pizza.
>> >
>> >What Julie doesn't know about sausage (of all kinds) could fill a
>> >large book. Since she doesn't care for it, I don't expect her
>> >to know very much about it.

>> I don't know much about sausage either, but I grew up with a few
>> types: salami and metworst, for instance. I always thought the
>> difference between salami and metworst was the presence or absence of
>> garlic, but there's probably also salami without garlic.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metworst

>Metworst looks wonderful. I tried to find out if it's cured, fermented,
>or what. It might ferment naturally as it dries.

Yes, I think it's only dried, plus what happens naturally during
drying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Wed 21 Jun 2017 04:05:03a, Julie Bove told us...
>

>> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 19:33:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...sandwich&sourc

>>> Don't you eat cold salami? Wait, there are many things you don't
>>> eat. Let me rephrase it: don't many people eat cold salami?

>> I have used hard salami in pasta salad. That's cold. Is salami a
>> sausage? I don't know. I can't stand the stuff. What else is it
>> used for? I think I have also put it in Easter pie along with
>> other meats but I can't stand that either. We never had it when I
>> was growing up. Only time I can recall from my childhood was an
>> episode of The Partridge Family when the oldest two kids said they
>> could go for a salami sandwich. So I had heard of it but beyond
>> that, I got nothing.
>>

> Yes, salami is a sausage. It is most often eaten cold in sndwiches
> or as part of a cold platter, but certainly can be used in various
> dishes, bot hot and cold. I like salami in a sandwich and will
> occasionally put it on pizza. If it's an item on a cold platter I
> will often choose it.
>
> My David reminds me of you regarding food. There are more things he
> either can't eat (usually psychological for him) or won't, many of
> which has never even tried to eat.
>
> We've been together 25 years and after the first 5 years I quit even
> trying to encourage him to anything that he had not experienced
> before. For example, he will eat green peas (preferably canned), but
> will not even consider eating any other green vegetable. He claims
> it wold make him sick. How could he possibly know this if he hasn't
> even tasted the food.
>
> Since then I have almost always cooked two different meals, one that
> I like and one that he is willing to eat.
>
> Judging from your many posts, it appears that your dislikes and/or
> senitivities far out weigh you likes. I'm definitely not
> criticizing, only noting what I perceive.

I mostly prefer veggies but alas I can't digest a lot of them well. I didn't
have this problem when we lived in NY so I fared quite well there except for
the winter months. A big salad is a favorite meal but that is no longer.

> I'm not allergic or sensitive to any food, but there are a very few
> things I won't eat. There some types of fish I won't eat, and I
> won't eat any raw fish or meat. Apart from that I like most
> eveerything.

I grew up with parents who were picky eaters. For instance, my dad refused
to eat something if he didn't know what was in it. He was often fearful of
what I cooked because I used herbs and seasonings and my mom did not aside
from a very few things like parsley and chili powder. She often didn't even
use salt or pepper.

I have no clue why we never had salami at home. My dad loved summer sausage
so we did get that for him at least once a year. He was the only one that
ate it. I don't think I ever even tried it. Some things just don't appeal to
me just due to their looks or aroma.

I've been told that I ate a lot of meat when I was younger. But when I got
older, we had meatless Mondays. My dad was always fearful that he wouldn't
get enough protein in his diet and was convinced that meat was the best
source for that. But we got to the point at least temporarily where we had
to spend less money on food. Hence the meatless Mondays. I soon learned that
I actually felt better when I didn't eat meat. And when I got my first
apartment, I never bought meat unless I had people over for dinner and it
had been planned in advance. Most of the time I didn't even have it then,
but I have learned that most people just like meat.

I never was a strict vegetarian or vegan but I did eat one or the other of
these types of diets most of the time for a good many years. I did learn
that I'll go anemic unless I do have a little meat once or twice a week. We
do take my mom out to eat once a week so I usually have meat at that meal.
Much easier to eat meat when dining out than to try to find a meatless meal.
I also never worried about things like lard in refried beans or chicken
broth in a soup or rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 04:05:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 19:33:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ital...nms&tbm= isch

>>> Don't you eat cold salami? Wait, there are many things you don't eat.
>>> Let me rephrase it: don't many people eat cold salami?

>>I have used hard salami in pasta salad. That's cold. Is salami a sausage?
>>don't know. I can't stand the stuff. What else is it used for? I think I
>>have also put it in Easter pie along with other meats but I can't stand
>>that
>>either. We never had it when I was growing up. Only time I can recall from
>>my childhood was an episode of The Partridge Family when the oldest two
>>kids
>>said they could go for a salami sandwich. So I had heard of it but beyond
>>that, I got nothing.

> Yes, I think salami's a sausage.
>
> I don't know if this is international, but in the Netherlands,
> salami's sliced cold and thin to be put on bread. I think that's
> called cold cuts?
>
> <https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/boterham-met-salami-1388493.jpg>

In NY, those things are called cold cuts. I hadn't heard that term until I
was talking to a native NYer online. Here, we call it lunch meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message

>>Pepperoni is a salami, and that's extremely common on pizza.

I despise Pepperoni or any other greasy meat.

>>What Julie doesn't know about sausage (of all kinds) could fill a
>>large book. Since she doesn't care for it, I don't expect her
>>to know very much about it.

I do not profess to be a sausage expert.

> I don't know much about sausage either, but I grew up with a few
> types: salami and metworst, for instance. I always thought the
> difference between salami and metworst was the presence or absence of
> garlic, but there's probably also salami without garlic.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metworst

At home we had breakfast sausages once in a while. Not very often. And my
dad bought various tubular meats but it was made clear that they were for
him and not us. For as picky as my dad was about things, he was never afraid
to try any kind of meat. Even Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 22:48:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Pepperoni is a salami, and that's extremely common on pizza.

(I didn't write this.)

>I despise Pepperoni or any other greasy meat.
>>>
>>>What Julie doesn't know about sausage (of all kinds) could fill a
>>>large book. Since she doesn't care for it, I don't expect her
>>>to know very much about it.

(I didn't write this.)

>I do not profess to be a sausage expert.
>>
>> I don't know much about sausage either, but I grew up with a few
>> types: salami and metworst, for instance. I always thought the
>> difference between salami and metworst was the presence or absence of
>> garlic, but there's probably also salami without garlic.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metworst

(This I wrote.)

>At home we had breakfast sausages once in a while. Not very often. And my
>dad bought various tubular meats but it was made clear that they were for
>him and not us. For as picky as my dad was about things, he was never afraid
>to try any kind of meat. Even Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 2:57:20 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 22:48:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
> .. .

> (I didn't write this.)

I think she's got me killfiled, and perhaps that messes up the
attribution. No matter, I behave just as if she doesn't.

Cindy Hamilton

> >I despise Pepperoni or any other greasy meat.

> (I didn't write this.)
>
> >I do not profess to be a sausage expert.
> >>
> >> I don't know much about sausage either, but I grew up with a few
> >> types: salami and metworst, for instance. I always thought the
> >> difference between salami and metworst was the presence or absence of
> >> garlic, but there's probably also salami without garlic.
> >>
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metworst

> (This I wrote.)
>
> >At home we had breakfast sausages once in a while. Not very often. And my
> >dad bought various tubular meats but it was made clear that they were for
> >him and not us. For as picky as my dad was about things, he was never afraid
> >to try any kind of meat. Even Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
.. .

>> If they are red they are ripe.

> Sadly not. In winter, smkts here are full of huge red imported
> strawberries which look ripe and delicious, but taste like cardboard and
> are hard. No matter how long you keep them they never ripen.

The ones I have tried eating are red all the way through. None give off a
strong odor. Some taste sweet, some do not. But none have that weird, blah
taste like the ones sometimes do from the supermarket. It is getting
annoying though as I only seem to get 2-4 ripe ones each day. Just enough
for me I guess.