FoodBanter.com

-   -   Olives (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/441290-olives.html)

JBurns 19-06-2017 11:07 AM

Olives

I have an elderly couple living a few doors away. I have seen them in
their garden and when I shop. Over the last couple of years they have
got a little more frail and don't do as much cooking as they used to
so I plate up a couple of meals a week in disposable containers and
drop them off to them. We always have more than we need.

Anyway, she knocked on my door today with half a bucket of olives and
her husband in tow. She is a tiny Maltese lady with a very strong
accent and very strong will. She proceeded to boss me and her husband
around and proceeded to show me how to brine olives. I have tried a
couple of times but gave it up as a never hit on a result that I was
pleased with, but, I have had her olives and so I let her boss me
around because she was imparting valuable passed down knowledge from
her great grandmother.

I have her permission to posty the method here, but before I do I need
to gather my thoughts, write it down and then double check I have it
right.

I am posting this small piece here now because she showed me something
I have never seen before.

The first step(s) is to make a strong brine for the olives and change
it every day for twelve days. Make the brine in the clean bucket after
dumping the olives in the sink. Put enough water in the bucket that it
will cover the olives easily and start adding salt and stirring to
dissolve. When I asked how much salt she answered in her strong accent
"You gotta egg?". I gave her an egg and she put it in the bucket with
the salty water and kept adding salt until the egg floated. The brine
was ready. Who knew?

JB

Taxed and Spent 19-06-2017 03:07 PM

Olives

On 6/19/2017 3:07 AM, JBurns wrote:
> I have an elderly couple living a few doors away. I have seen them in
> their garden and when I shop. Over the last couple of years they have
> got a little more frail and don't do as much cooking as they used to
> so I plate up a couple of meals a week in disposable containers and
> drop them off to them. We always have more than we need.
>
> Anyway, she knocked on my door today with half a bucket of olives and
> her husband in tow. She is a tiny Maltese lady with a very strong
> accent and very strong will. She proceeded to boss me and her husband
> around and proceeded to show me how to brine olives. I have tried a
> couple of times but gave it up as a never hit on a result that I was
> pleased with, but, I have had her olives and so I let her boss me
> around because she was imparting valuable passed down knowledge from
> her great grandmother.
>
> I have her permission to posty the method here, but before I do I need
> to gather my thoughts, write it down and then double check I have it
> right.
>
> I am posting this small piece here now because she showed me something
> I have never seen before.
>
> The first step(s) is to make a strong brine for the olives and change
> it every day for twelve days. Make the brine in the clean bucket after
> dumping the olives in the sink. Put enough water in the bucket that it
> will cover the olives easily and start adding salt and stirring to
> dissolve. When I asked how much salt she answered in her strong accent
> "You gotta egg?". I gave her an egg and she put it in the bucket with
> the salty water and kept adding salt until the egg floated. The brine
> was ready. Who knew?
>
> JB

Looking forward to the post on her procedure.

If you really want to make her happy and proud, ask her if she will show
you how to make pastizzi, guiding you step by step. I don't know if she
has any in her freezer from family, but if not, you would be a real hero.

What city are you in?

cshenk 19-06-2017 04:31 PM

Olives

JBurns wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I have an elderly couple living a few doors away. I have seen them in
> their garden and when I shop. Over the last couple of years they have
> got a little more frail and don't do as much cooking as they used to
> so I plate up a couple of meals a week in disposable containers and
> drop them off to them. We always have more than we need.
>
> Anyway, she knocked on my door today with half a bucket of olives and
> her husband in tow. She is a tiny Maltese lady with a very strong
> accent and very strong will. She proceeded to boss me and her husband
> around and proceeded to show me how to brine olives. I have tried a
> couple of times but gave it up as a never hit on a result that I was
> pleased with, but, I have had her olives and so I let her boss me
> around because she was imparting valuable passed down knowledge from
> her great grandmother.
>
> I have her permission to posty the method here, but before I do I need
> to gather my thoughts, write it down and then double check I have it
> right.
>
> I am posting this small piece here now because she showed me something
> I have never seen before.
>
> The first step(s) is to make a strong brine for the olives and change
> it every day for twelve days. Make the brine in the clean bucket after
> dumping the olives in the sink. Put enough water in the bucket that it
> will cover the olives easily and start adding salt and stirring to
> dissolve. When I asked how much salt she answered in her strong accent
> "You gotta egg?". I gave her an egg and she put it in the bucket with
> the salty water and kept adding salt until the egg floated. The brine
> was ready. Who knew?
>
> JB

I love that!

Cheri[_3_] 19-06-2017 04:51 PM

Olives

"JBurns" > wrote in message
>I have an elderly couple living a few doors away. I have seen them in
> their garden and when I shop. Over the last couple of years they have
> got a little more frail and don't do as much cooking as they used to
> so I plate up a couple of meals a week in disposable containers and
> drop them off to them. We always have more than we need.
>
> Anyway, she knocked on my door today with half a bucket of olives and
> her husband in tow. She is a tiny Maltese lady with a very strong
> accent and very strong will. She proceeded to boss me and her husband
> around and proceeded to show me how to brine olives. I have tried a
> couple of times but gave it up as a never hit on a result that I was
> pleased with, but, I have had her olives and so I let her boss me
> around because she was imparting valuable passed down knowledge from
> her great grandmother.
>
> I have her permission to posty the method here, but before I do I need
> to gather my thoughts, write it down and then double check I have it
> right.
>
> I am posting this small piece here now because she showed me something
> I have never seen before.
>
> The first step(s) is to make a strong brine for the olives and change
> it every day for twelve days. Make the brine in the clean bucket after
> dumping the olives in the sink. Put enough water in the bucket that it
> will cover the olives easily and start adding salt and stirring to
> dissolve. When I asked how much salt she answered in her strong accent
> "You gotta egg?". I gave her an egg and she put it in the bucket with
> the salty water and kept adding salt until the egg floated. The brine
> was ready. Who knew?
>
> JB

I had never heard that before either, interesting.

Cheri

[email protected] 19-06-2017 09:55 PM

Olives

I like green olives on pizza.

Bruce[_28_] 19-06-2017 11:18 PM

Olives

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 13:55:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I like green olives on pizza.

I also like black olives on pizza.

[email protected] 19-06-2017 11:57 PM

Olives

Green olives do nothing for pasta sauce tho.

JBurns 20-06-2017 01:56 AM

Olives

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 07:07:53 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 6/19/2017 3:07 AM, JBurns wrote:
>> I have an elderly couple living a few doors away. I have seen them in
>> their garden and when I shop. Over the last couple of years they have
>> got a little more frail and don't do as much cooking as they used to
>> so I plate up a couple of meals a week in disposable containers and
>> drop them off to them. We always have more than we need.
>>
>> Anyway, she knocked on my door today with half a bucket of olives and
>> her husband in tow. She is a tiny Maltese lady with a very strong
>> accent and very strong will. She proceeded to boss me and her husband
>> around and proceeded to show me how to brine olives. I have tried a
>> couple of times but gave it up as a never hit on a result that I was
>> pleased with, but, I have had her olives and so I let her boss me
>> around because she was imparting valuable passed down knowledge from
>> her great grandmother.
>>
>> I have her permission to posty the method here, but before I do I need
>> to gather my thoughts, write it down and then double check I have it
>> right.
>>
>> I am posting this small piece here now because she showed me something
>> I have never seen before.
>>
>> The first step(s) is to make a strong brine for the olives and change
>> it every day for twelve days. Make the brine in the clean bucket after
>> dumping the olives in the sink. Put enough water in the bucket that it
>> will cover the olives easily and start adding salt and stirring to
>> dissolve. When I asked how much salt she answered in her strong accent
>> "You gotta egg?". I gave her an egg and she put it in the bucket with
>> the salty water and kept adding salt until the egg floated. The brine
>> was ready. Who knew?
>>
>> JB
>>

>Looking forward to the post on her procedure.
>
>If you really want to make her happy and proud, ask her if she will show
>you how to make pastizzi, guiding you step by step. I don't know if she
>has any in her freezer from family, but if not, you would be a real hero.
>
>What city are you in?

Perth, Western Australia.

JB

Ophelia[_14_] 20-06-2017 09:46 AM

Olives

"Taxed and Spent" wrote in message ...

On 6/19/2017 3:07 AM, JBurns wrote:
> I have an elderly couple living a few doors away. I have seen them in
> their garden and when I shop. Over the last couple of years they have
> got a little more frail and don't do as much cooking as they used to
> so I plate up a couple of meals a week in disposable containers and
> drop them off to them. We always have more than we need.
>
> Anyway, she knocked on my door today with half a bucket of olives and
> her husband in tow. She is a tiny Maltese lady with a very strong
> accent and very strong will. She proceeded to boss me and her husband
> around and proceeded to show me how to brine olives. I have tried a
> couple of times but gave it up as a never hit on a result that I was
> pleased with, but, I have had her olives and so I let her boss me
> around because she was imparting valuable passed down knowledge from
> her great grandmother.
>
> I have her permission to posty the method here, but before I do I need
> to gather my thoughts, write it down and then double check I have it
> right.
>
> I am posting this small piece here now because she showed me something
> I have never seen before.
>
> The first step(s) is to make a strong brine for the olives and change
> it every day for twelve days. Make the brine in the clean bucket after
> dumping the olives in the sink. Put enough water in the bucket that it
> will cover the olives easily and start adding salt and stirring to
> dissolve. When I asked how much salt she answered in her strong accent
> "You gotta egg?". I gave her an egg and she put it in the bucket with
> the salty water and kept adding salt until the egg floated. The brine
> was ready. Who knew?
>
> JB

Looking forward to the post on her procedure.

If you really want to make her happy and proud, ask her if she will show
you how to make pastizzi, guiding you step by step. I don't know if she
has any in her freezer from family, but if not, you would be a real hero.

What city are you in?

==

Ohh yes! I used to live in Malta and pastizzi were a regular treat:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk