Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cleaning Wipes: The Greatest Innovation of My Adult Life?

Cleaning surfaces is what we do. We do it constantly. Anything that makes it easier and more sanitary to achieve that it worthy of celebration

https://fee.org/articles/cleaning-wi...my-adult-life/

Oh sure, I remember window-cleaning hell all too well, and so do you.
Of course, at the time, I didnt fully know how horrible it was. Now I do, thanks to the innovation of Window Wipes: disposable moist towelettes for cleaning glass. It solves a massive, lifetime problem/annoyance I didnt know I had. Now I absolutely love cleaning mirrors, oven doors, chrome handles, anything that needs to shine. This product took drudgery and made it joyful. My lifetime dream of the perfect bathroom mirror is mine.

Best of all, I didnt have to do anything at all to bring about this new nirvana. I only needed to go to the store and throw down 4 bucks. I estimate that this gives me at least six months of flawless glass surfaces. And thats only the beginning of what is happening in the entire wipe industry, which fundamentally changed the way we clean.

Its all happened in the 21st century, just another amazing life advancement that, so far as I can tell, no one has really celebrated. Windex wipes in particular were released January, 2011, a hinge of history.
So lets go back in time.

Pump that Handle

You have a window to clean and you have this product called Windex and it is in a bottle. You pump the handle and, at first, it doesnt come out. Then suddenly it does. But it splats a bunch of blue liquid on your mirror. The drips are racing to the counter and crawling behind where you cant get to them. So you act quickly to stop them.

Then you wise up and realized you have to spray high up on the surface to account for gravity. But then you have to leap up to get to it and jumping is not the best way to realize a clean wiping motion.

You work and work and stand back and look. Whoops, there is a blotchy residue everywhere. So you spray again, using the same rag. Now there is way too much liquid, so you rub and rub until you realize that this liquid is not like lotion on your skin. It does not absorb. It just smears. And now you are smearing the old muck back onto the surface.

So you get a fresh cloth and start to rub. But this cloth was dry so it absorbs all the liquid, leaving none for actual cleaning. So you spray again, and the cycle repeats itself. At the end, you still have residue from your cloth.

So maybe the problem is that you shouldnt be using a paper towel at all because this only leaves a trail of paper dust to ruin the surface.

Maybe you did what I did and tried newspaper, which legend once said was the ideal. You think: no way will this work because it will only spread black ink on the surface. It turns out that this does not happen and that is glorious. Newspaper works after all!

But there is a different problem. Look at your hands. They are covered in black ink, all splotchy and awful. So now you have to go wash your hands, which you do. But then you forgot to throw away the newspaper after you used it to wash your windows. So you pick it up and get your hands dirty again, so you have to wash again

Then you try a squeegee. But do you really want to slog to the garage and get a special tool just to clean your bathroom? And even then, you have to practice using one of these things. Seems more for cleaning professionals, whereas you are just an amateur.

Frustrated, you look up: what precisely is the correct cloth to use when you wash windows? It turns out that you are supposed to use a cheese cloth. Oh sure, I have one of those sitting right here because I make cheese all the time.

Wait. No, you do not make cheese all the time, so, no, you do not have a cheese cloth. You have actually to go to the store to buy a cheese cloth, and you do that but now you need a special place to keep your special window-cleaning cloths which you otherwise use for nothing at all since you are a normal person and buy pre-made cheese at the store. And after you use them, you have to dry them out, and remember to put them away the next day.

Its Never Really Clean

Eventually, of course, you get it done. You have joined generations of window cleaners in more or less achieving your goal but not without some suffering and annoyance. Being now aware of how truly hard it is to clean mirrors, you get extra careful about getting water drops on the mirror. So this changes the way you brush your teeth, shave, and wash your face

You finally master the no-drop technique, but then a guest comes over and goes to the wash room. He leaves, and you inspect the damage. Total disaster.. You are back to the drawing board.

There really has been no way around this. Now, to be sure, in the middle ages, this was not really an issue since mirrors were a luxury of the rich. The poor only found out how they looked if they happened to come across a reflective, still pond but this didnt happen all that often. Mostly we were all left to guess, day to day, what our faces looked like. Others could see our faces but we could not.

Finally in the 20th century, mirrors were common for everyone to have one in their homes, and glass cleaner eventually became available. But far from perfect.

We had to wait 80-plus years to finally get it right. We now have glorious Windex Wipes in a small package. And I freely acknowledge the product forum complaints that the wipes are difficult to pull from the holder. Here is a paradigmatic case of Louis CKs insight: everything is amazing and nobody's happy.

More than Windex

Lets be clear here that this is not just about windows. It is about every surface in your house. The days of the pump bottle and the endless use of paper towels and rags are over. Now we have bottles with wipes in them for your two other favorite products: Lysol and Clorox.

One is for cleaning and the other for disinfecting. There is an additional beauty here besides just convenience. With separate wipes, you are not spreading muck and germs from surface to surface. You reach for the dispenser, grab one, use it, and throw it away.

Now, you can read about this and think: oh, this is no big deal. Just another product. Who cares?

Actually, this is the very stuff of life. Cleaning surfaces is what we do. We do it constantly. Anything that makes it easier and more sanitary to achieve that it worthy of celebration.

People speak about great innovations. Internal combustion. Moving pictures. Sound recordings. The microchip. Fracking. Blockchain. These are all amazing.
But let us not forget about the small innovations that require as much creativity, inspiration, and also serve humanity in our daily lives.

And consider the resource costs to make them. You grow the trees, harvest them, mill them, get them cut into paper cloth, and stack them. You have the chemical liquid which requires countless processes. Then you have the brilliant and clean packaging, which only took thousands of years of human ingenuity to achieve.

Finally it lands at your local store, where you get the cloth for pennies each. How is this possible? It boggles the mind.

Up with the wipe revolution! These products have vastly improved the quality of life on earth for all of us.

Jeffrey Tucker is Director of Content for the Foundation for Economic Education. He is also Chief Liberty Officer and founder of Liberty.me, Distinguished Honorary Member of Mises Brazil, research fellow at the Acton Institute, policy adviser of the Heartland Institute, founder of the CryptoCurrency Conference, member of the editorial board of the Molinari Review, an advisor to the blockchain application builder Factom, and author of five books. He has written 150 introductions to books and many thousands of articles appearing in the scholarly and popular press

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2017 9:52 AM, The Greatest! wrote:

> Cleaning surfaces is what we do. We do it constantly. Anything that makes it easier and more sanitary to achieve that it worthy of celebration
>
> https://fee.org/articles/cleaning-wi...my-adult-life/
>
> Oh sure, I remember window-cleaning hell all too well, and so do you.
> Of course, at the time, I didnt fully know how horrible it was. Now I do, thanks to the innovation of Window Wipes: disposable moist towelettes for cleaning glass.

I'm going to try them. I dislike cleaning windows and I'm not very good
at it. In the past couple of weeks I did the windows in the family room
twice and when the afternoon sun hits them I still see streaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 06:52:00 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>Cleaning surfaces is what we do. We do it constantly. Anything that makes it easier and more sanitary to achieve that it worthy of celebration
>
>https://fee.org/articles/cleaning-wi...my-adult-life/

I clean windows with plain old white vinegar and an old but freshly
laundered towel.

I recently learned a way to sanitize countertops, cutting boards,
sports water bottles, etc. from my water softener/well guy... spray
with Hydrogen Peroxide. No toxic fumes as with chlorine bleach. Even
works for sanitizing sponges and toothbrushes.
https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Hydrogen...rogen+Peroxide

> [...]
>
>Finally it lands at your local store, where you get the cloth for pennies each. How is this possible? It boggles the mind.
>
>Up with the wipe revolution! These products have vastly improved the quality of life on earth for all of us.
>

>Jeffrey Tucker is Director of Content for the Foundation for Economic Education. He is also Chief Liberty Officer and founder of Liberty.me, Distinguished Honorary Member of Mises Brazil, research fellow at the Acton Institute, policy adviser of the Heartland Institute, founder of the CryptoCurrency Conference, member of the editorial board of the Molinari Review, an advisor to the blockchain application builder Factom, and author of five books. He has written 150 introductions to books and many thousands of articles appearing in the scholarly and popular press

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-06-16 11:29 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Oh sure, I remember window-cleaning hell all too well, and so do
>> you. Of course, at the time, I didnt fully know how horrible it
>> was. Now I do, thanks to the innovation of Window Wipes: disposable
>> moist towelettes for cleaning glass.

> I'm going to try them. I dislike cleaning windows and I'm not very
> good at it. In the past couple of weeks I did the windows in the
> family room twice and when the afternoon sun hits them I still see
> streaks.

Afternoon sun? One of the first rules of window cleaning is not to do
it on sunny days. I really hate washing windows, but based on the number
of times I have ended up having to them, it appears that my wife hates
it even more than I do. We have 13 windows on the first floor and
another 6 on the second floor. I tend to tackle them all the same day so
it makes for a longer day of cleaning. I suppose I could break it into
shorter jobs by doing one room at a time, but what would probably happen
would be that I would do one room one day and it might be a month
before I get psyched up to the the next one. I do tend to do the living
room/dining room windows more frequently. The living room window faces
west and the afternoon and evening light magnifies the amount of dust
that gathers on it. If I wash it on a sunny day I end up having to
rewash it several times to get rid of the streaks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 9:52:10 AM UTC-4, The Greatest! wrote:
> Cleaning surfaces is what we do. We do it constantly. Anything that makes it easier and more sanitary to achieve that it worthy of celebration
>
> https://fee.org/articles/cleaning-wi...my-adult-life/
>

> Pump that Handle
>
> You have a window to clean and you have this product called Windex and it is in a bottle.

Windex is for dilettantes.

Outdoors I use this:
<https://www.shopatdean.com/products/ettore-14-quot-brass-back-flip-squeegee-combo-71140>
With a bucket of hot water that has a teaspoon of dishwashing
liquid and a glug of vinegar.

Indoors it's 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water, with a clean
rag. I use that same solution for cleaning countertops in the kitchen if I get something icky on them.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 06:52:00 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> > wrote:
>

> >Cleaning surfaces is what we do. We do it constantly. Anything that makes it easier and more sanitary to achieve that it worthy of celebration
> >
> >https://fee.org/articles/cleaning-wi...my-adult-life/

> I clean windows with plain old white vinegar and an old but freshly
> laundered towel.

Actually, so do I, it works fine...

> I recently learned a way to sanitize countertops, cutting boards,
> sports water bottles, etc. from my water softener/well guy... spray
> with Hydrogen Peroxide. No toxic fumes as with chlorine bleach. Even
> works for sanitizing sponges and toothbrushes.
> https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Hydrogen...rogen+Peroxide

Yup, hydrogen peroxide is fantastic, I've used it for sanitizing for years. Hydrogen peroxide spray bottles can be had at drug and dollar stores, online, etc...or make your own (make sure that the bottle is not a clear one, elsewise the H2O2 will brown).

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2017 11:51 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-06-16 11:29 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

>>> Oh sure, I remember window-cleaning hell all too well, and so do
>>> you. Of course, at the time, I didnt fully know how horrible it
>>> was. Now I do, thanks to the innovation of Window Wipes: disposable
>>> moist towelettes for cleaning glass.

>> I'm going to try them. I dislike cleaning windows and I'm not very
>> good at it. In the past couple of weeks I did the windows in the
>> family room twice and when the afternoon sun hits them I still see
>> streaks.

> Afternoon sun? One of the first rules of window cleaning is not to do
> it on sunny days.

Can't always count on dull days. Sure, you're supposed to wash them
when the sun moves away.

> I really hate washing windows, but based on the number
> of times I have ended up having to them, it appears that my wife hates
> it even more than I do. We have 13 windows on the first floor and
> another 6 on the second floor.

I never counted the number of windows. Heck, you've seen pics of the
back of my house. It's practically a wall of glass.

I bought a Windex Outdoor Window washing kit with an extension rod.
There is no way I can reach the top of the windows to wash them. There
are bushes in front of all of them except on the patio. Those are
taller than I am, too. I'm not about to stand on a ladder to wash
windows. The extension rod makes washing windows so much easier.

> I tend to tackle them all the same day so
> it makes for a longer day of cleaning. I suppose I could break it into
> shorter jobs by doing one room at a time, but what would probably happen
> would be that I would do one room one day and it might be a month
> before I get psyched up to the the next one.

I'm not that terribly concerned about washing the windows. I like to be
able to see birds at the bird bath and hummingbirds at the feeder. But
I sure don't worry about having crystal clear windows all the time.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 09:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 9:52:10 AM UTC-4, The Greatest! wrote:
>> Cleaning surfaces is what we do. We do it constantly. Anything that makes it easier and more sanitary to achieve that it worthy of celebration
>>
>> https://fee.org/articles/cleaning-wi...my-adult-life/
>>

>> Pump that Handle
>>
>> You have a window to clean and you have this product called Windex and it is in a bottle.

>Windex is for dilettantes.
>
>Outdoors I use this:
><https://www.shopatdean.com/products/ettore-14-quot-brass-back-flip-squeegee-combo-71140>
>With a bucket of hot water that has a teaspoon of dishwashing
>liquid and a glug of vinegar.

Outdoor windows get cleaned with the garden hose with one of those
super duper fireman nozzles attached... I know it's time when my pet
spider's webs start looking shabby... next day there are all brand new
spiffy webs.

>Indoors it's 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water, with a clean
>rag. I use that same solution for cleaning countertops in the kitchen if I get something icky on them.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I clean indoor windows with white vinegar. I find it much easier to
clean indoor windows when the outdoor windows are cleaned first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 13:31:42 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>>> I'm going to try them. I dislike cleaning windows and I'm not very
>>> good at it. In the past couple of weeks I did the windows in the
>>> family room twice and when the afternoon sun hits them I still see
>>> streaks.

>> Afternoon sun? One of the first rules of window cleaning is not to do
>> it on sunny days.

>Can't always count on dull days. Sure, you're supposed to wash them
>when the sun moves away.
>
>> I really hate washing windows, but based on the number
>> of times I have ended up having to them, it appears that my wife hates
>> it even more than I do. We have 13 windows on the first floor and
>> another 6 on the second floor.

>I never counted the number of windows. Heck, you've seen pics of the
>back of my house. It's practically a wall of glass.
>
>I bought a Windex Outdoor Window washing kit with an extension rod.
>There is no way I can reach the top of the windows to wash them. There
>are bushes in front of all of them except on the patio. Those are
>taller than I am, too. I'm not about to stand on a ladder to wash
>windows. The extension rod makes washing windows so much easier.
>
>> I tend to tackle them all the same day so
>> it makes for a longer day of cleaning. I suppose I could break it into
>> shorter jobs by doing one room at a time, but what would probably happen
>> would be that I would do one room one day and it might be a month
>> before I get psyched up to the the next one.

>I'm not that terribly concerned about washing the windows. I like to be
>able to see birds at the bird bath and hummingbirds at the feeder. But
>I sure don't worry about having crystal clear windows all the time.
>
>Jill

I don't worry too much about spotless windows either, no matter how
often I'd clean them ten minutes later there'd be cat's paw and nose
prints on them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 10:29:22 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > https://fee.org/articles/cleaning-wi...my-adult-life/
> >

> I'm going to try them. I dislike cleaning windows and I'm not very good
> at it. In the past couple of weeks I did the windows in the family room
> twice and when the afternoon sun hits them I still see streaks.

I use a mixture of Windex and non-sudsy ammonia in a spray bottle;
about 50/50 concentrate. I find Windex is just too weak to do a
thorough job but does have some decent cleaning properties. I use
either paper towels or an old dish towel or hand towel that has
NO fabric softener it. The fabric softener produces streaky, greasy
results and yes, the addition of ammonia does stink something fierce.
A fan blowing in your work area helps dispel the nose wrinkling odor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri 16 Jun 2017 10:31:42a, jmcquown told us...

>>> Afternoon sun? One of the first rules of window cleaning is not
>>> to do it on sunny days.

>> Can't always count on dull days. Sure, you're supposed to wash
>> them when the sun moves away.
>>
>>> I really hate washing windows, but based on the number
>>> of times I have ended up having to them, it appears that my wife
>>> hates it even more than I do. We have 13 windows on the first
>>> floor and another 6 on the second floor.

>> I never counted the number of windows. Heck, you've seen pics of
>> the back of my house. It's practically a wall of glass.

> Nope, I've never seen pics of the back of your house.

You probably haven't. You've been away from RFC for a while.

This is my house (photos when took when I considered selling it).

http://tinyurl.com/ych6nj8a

I bought the window-washing kit shortly before Hurricane Matthew last
October. I'm glad I didn't waste my time washing the windows first. LOL

The hurricane winds blew leaves and spanish moss and tree branches all
over the place. Lots of debris and everything was pretty dirty.

I waited until well after the hurricane to use the extension wand kit
with cleaning pads and a hose to wash and rinse the windows. I don't do
this often. It's a lot of work cleaning large picture windows. And
frankly, I don't really care. As long as I can see the birds, squeaky
clean windows don't matter.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2017 2:41 PM, wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 13:31:42 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Afternoon sun? One of the first rules of window cleaning is not to do
>>> it on sunny days.

>> Can't always count on dull days. Sure, you're supposed to wash them
>> when the sun moves away.
>>
>>> I really hate washing windows, but based on the number
>>> of times I have ended up having to them, it appears that my wife hates
>>> it even more than I do. We have 13 windows on the first floor and
>>> another 6 on the second floor.

>> I never counted the number of windows. Heck, you've seen pics of the
>> back of my house. It's practically a wall of glass.
>>
>> I bought a Windex Outdoor Window washing kit with an extension rod.
>> There is no way I can reach the top of the windows to wash them. There
>> are bushes in front of all of them except on the patio. Those are
>> taller than I am, too. I'm not about to stand on a ladder to wash
>> windows. The extension rod makes washing windows so much easier.
>>
>>> I tend to tackle them all the same day so
>>> it makes for a longer day of cleaning. I suppose I could break it into
>>> shorter jobs by doing one room at a time, but what would probably happen
>>> would be that I would do one room one day and it might be a month
>>> before I get psyched up to the the next one.

>> I'm not that terribly concerned about washing the windows. I like to be
>> able to see birds at the bird bath and hummingbirds at the feeder. But
>> I sure don't worry about having crystal clear windows all the time.
>>
>> Jill

> I don't worry too much about spotless windows either, no matter how
> often I'd clean them ten minutes later there'd be cat's paw and nose
> prints on them.

Buffy is a weird cat. She pays no attention to birds. She surely can
see them. The windows aren't that dirty or smudged!

Last evening there was a tufted titmouse in the bird bath, splashing
like crazy. I'm sure it feels nice when it's 90F outside and there's a
place to splish-splash.

A little fledgling titmouse was underneath the bath, fluttering its
wings. Pay attention to ME!

Meanwhile, a mourning dove walked across the patio. A male cardinal
walked across the patio. A Carolina wren walked across the patio.
There was a juvenile wren, too. A brown thrasher walked around next to
the patio.

Buffy did not pay any attention to any of the birds. She was more
interested in playing with golf balls. Indoors.

She is not a normal cat.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 6/16/2017 2:00 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Can't always count on dull days. Sure, you're supposed to wash
>>> them when the sun moves away.

>>> I never counted the number of windows. Heck, you've seen pics of
>>> the back of my house. It's practically a wall of glass.

>> Nope, I've never seen pics of the back of your house.
>>

> You probably haven't. You've been away from RFC for a while.
>
> This is my house (photos when took when I considered selling it).
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ych6nj8a
>
> I bought the window-washing kit shortly before Hurricane Matthew last
> October. I'm glad I didn't waste my time washing the windows first. LOL
>
> The hurricane winds blew leaves and spanish moss and tree branches all
> over the place. Lots of debris and everything was pretty dirty.
>
> I waited until well after the hurricane to use the extension wand kit with
> cleaning pads and a hose to wash and rinse the windows. I don't do this
> often. It's a lot of work cleaning large picture windows. And frankly, I
> don't really care. As long as I can see the birds, squeaky clean windows
> don't matter.
>
> Jill

Sounds pretty much the same on our end.We always do this for the outside
windows and slider, works like a charm, easy and streak free. Saves time and
the wear and tear of climbing ladders. I use a long handled wiper with a
cloth to swab the solution on.

2 1/2 gal warm water
1 Tbsp liquid "jet dry"
2-3 Tbsp liquid laundry detergent or dishwashing soap

Mix all of the ingredients above. Spray your windows down with your hose to
get them wet then wipe or brush the solution onto your windows.
Let sit for a minute or so then hose it off.

The remaining water just sheets off and you don't need to dry it at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> None of our cats are particularly normal either. It must be nice to
> see so many different kinds of birds. We don't see too many because
> of our high walls and thick cover of trees. We do see quit a few
> hummingbirds that enjoy drinking from both of our fountains, and an
> occasional robin that likes to take a bath in the large fountain.

Oh, it's wonderful to have a plethora of birds. I've been a bird
watcher for many years.

One of the first things I heard in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew
was hummingbirds. The power was out for four days. In preparation I'd
taken the feeder down. I opened the windows after the tail of the storm
passed. I saw a hummingbird hover at the window, "Where the heck is my
food?!" LOL I immediately put the hummingbird feeder back up. And they
were right there sipping.

It's amazing what you can hear when there is no underlying hum of
electricty. The beating of hummingbird wings sounded a lot like the
light sabers from 'Star Wars'.

I don't know how birds weather storms like that. But they do always
come back. And I love watching them. My cat doesn't seem to care one
way or another.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/16/2017 9:52 AM, The Greatest! wrote:
>>
>> Cleaning surfaces is what we do. We do it constantly. Anything that
>> makes it easier and more sanitary to achieve that it worthy of
>> celebration
>>
>> https://fee.org/articles/cleaning-wi...my-adult-life/
>>
>> Oh sure, I remember window-cleaning hell all too well, and so do you.
>> Of course, at the time, I didnt fully know how horrible it was. Now I
>> do, thanks to the innovation of Window Wipes: disposable moist towelettes
>> for cleaning glass.

> I'm going to try them. I dislike cleaning windows and I'm not very good
> at it. In the past couple of weeks I did the windows in the family room
> twice and when the afternoon sun hits them I still see streaks.

They're not new. We've been using them for years. Actually, cheap off brand
baby wipes work for a variety of things. I wouldn't use them on glass or a
surface where I was preparing food but otherwise they are great for spills
and smudges.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 6/16/2017 9:52 AM, The Greatest! wrote:
>>>
>>> Cleaning surfaces is what we do. We do it constantly. Anything that
>>> makes it easier and more sanitary to achieve that it worthy of
>>> celebration
>>>
>>> https://fee.org/articles/cleaning-wi...my-adult-life/
>>>
>>> Oh sure, I remember window-cleaning hell all too well, and so do you.
>>> Of course, at the time, I didnt fully know how horrible it was. Now I
>>> do, thanks to the innovation of Window Wipes: disposable moist towelettes
>>> for cleaning glass.

>> I'm going to try them. I dislike cleaning windows and I'm not very good
>> at it. In the past couple of weeks I did the windows in the family room
>> twice and when the afternoon sun hits them I still see streaks.

> They're not new. We've been using them for years. Actually, cheap off brand
> baby wipes work for a variety of things. I wouldn't use them on glass or a
> surface where I was preparing food but otherwise they are great for spills
> and smudges.

Know what else baby wipes are spectacular for? Car upholstery dirt and
stains and steering wheel schmutz.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:

>>> I'm going to try them. I dislike cleaning windows and I'm not very good
>>> at it. In the past couple of weeks I did the windows in the family room
>>> twice and when the afternoon sun hits them I still see streaks.

>> They're not new. We've been using them for years. Actually, cheap off
>> brand
>> baby wipes work for a variety of things. I wouldn't use them on glass or
>> surface where I was preparing food but otherwise they are great for
>> spills
>> and smudges.
>>

> Know what else baby wipes are spectacular for? Car upholstery dirt and
> stains and steering wheel schmutz.

I use them for that too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2017 4:12 PM, Cheri wrote:
> Sounds pretty much the same on our end.We always do this for the outside
> windows and slider, works like a charm, easy and streak free. Saves time
> and the wear and tear of climbing ladders. I use a long handled wiper
> with a cloth to swab the solution on.
>
> 2 1/2 gal warm water
> 1 Tbsp liquid "jet dry"
> 2-3 Tbsp liquid laundry detergent or dishwashing soap
>
> Mix all of the ingredients above. Spray your windows down with your hose
> to get them wet then wipe or brush the solution onto your windows.
> Let sit for a minute or so then hose it off.
>
> The remaining water just sheets off and you don't need to dry it at all.

That sounds like a simple enough homemade cleaning solution. Thanks Cheri!

Jill <---doesn't do ladders
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/16/2017 1:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'm not that terribly concerned about washing the windows. I like to be
> able to see birds at the bird bath and hummingbirds at the feeder. But
> I sure don't worry about having crystal clear windows all the time.

heheh ADD ME! I probably clean my windows maybe once every 10 years.
They stay clean enough for me. Heavy blowing rain keeps the outside in
check and the insides really don't get noticably dirty at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 06:39:53 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/16/2017 4:12 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> Sounds pretty much the same on our end.We always do this for the outside
>> windows and slider, works like a charm, easy and streak free. Saves time
>> and the wear and tear of climbing ladders. I use a long handled wiper
>> with a cloth to swab the solution on.
>>
>> 2 1/2 gal warm water
>> 1 Tbsp liquid "jet dry"
>> 2-3 Tbsp liquid laundry detergent or dishwashing soap
>>
>> Mix all of the ingredients above. Spray your windows down with your hose
>> to get them wet then wipe or brush the solution onto your windows.
>> Let sit for a minute or so then hose it off.
>>
>> The remaining water just sheets off and you don't need to dry it at all.

>That sounds like a simple enough homemade cleaning solution. Thanks Cheri!
>
>Jill <---doesn't do ladders

At hardware store garden supplies there are dispenser nozzles that
will meter a solution to the set strength... typically used for
applying fertilizer, and insecticides but work fine for cleaning
solutions... similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Bogo-Wat...for+fertilizer

There are also inexpensive electric power washers, I have one and it
works great, cleans my entire house with little effort and no
climbing:
https://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-GP...7702451&sr=1-6

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/17/2017 7:16 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 6/16/2017 1:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I'm not that terribly concerned about washing the windows. I like to be
>> able to see birds at the bird bath and hummingbirds at the feeder. But
>> I sure don't worry about having crystal clear windows all the time.

> heheh ADD ME! I probably clean my windows maybe once every 10 years.
> They stay clean enough for me. Heavy blowing rain keeps the outside in
> check and the insides really don't get noticably dirty at all.

Here's a funny memory. In 2007 my mother asked me if there was a
squeegie/window washing tool in the garage. The kind like you might see
at a gas station for washing your windshield. She knew perfectly well
there was one.

She told me to fill a bucket with hot water and add dishwashing liquid.
Then she had me go outside and wash the kitchen windows. She stood
inside, watching me, pointing out spots I'd missed. LOL

Apparently she hadn't washed the windows in a few years. As long as I
was already here... might as well have me wash the windows. I didn't
mind. It was funny how she was pointing out spots I'd missed. Sorry,
I'm not an expert with a squeegie. I also washed the panel windows on
either side of the front door.

One thing I didn't do was wash the windows behind the huge azalea bushes
at the front of the house. I'm not climbing behind bushes to wash
windows. Not that important.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> We don't have many power outages here and they rarely last for more a
> few hours at the most, but silence with absolutely nothing running to
> make even a whisper of noise is almost eerie. I enjoy it in the
> daytime, but find it difficult to fall asleep if the power is out
> when I'm in bed. I think many of us are so accustomed to things like
> refrigerators and freezers, ceiling fans, air filters, etc., that we
> lose our awareness of them.

Well, if you had a hurricane (that would be quite an accomplishment in
Phoenix!) you'd likely lose power for a few days. But yes, it's amazing
what you hear when there isn't that underlying hum of electricity.
We've become conditioned to the refrigerator and such.

I heard the hummingbirds buzzing around during the day, other birds
chirping. Owls hooting at night and Chuck Will's Widows, too. (Lots of
night-birds around here.)

I'm like you, however. I find it difficult to sleep when it's
completely silent. In the normal course of things I always have the
ceiling fan running.

Fortunately power outages are few and far between. If the power goes
off in the middle of the night I wake up immediately. The sound of
silence is pretty loud.

Jill