Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Scampi tonight

I did Ree Drummonds (The Pioneer Woman) Shrimp Scampi tonight. We had
a new loaf of Costco's Roasted Garlic Parmesan french loaf to sop up
the sauce. The side was fresh asparagus.
I added about a quarter cup of Thai Kitchen's Sweet Red Chili sauce to
the sauce in the pan -- just because I like the stuff.
It was terrific. I got the shrimp at Costco today -- beautiful 20s,
wild caught for $11.99 a pound.

Shrimp Scampi

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (16/20 count)
2 lemons, halved
1/2 cup white wine
4 dashes hot sauce (I used tabasco), or more to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium
heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are
translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, then stir and cook for a
couple of minutes. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add the wine, hot
sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and reduce the heat to low.

Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 12:42:59 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I did Ree Drummonds (The Pioneer Woman) Shrimp Scampi tonight. We had
> a new loaf of Costco's Roasted Garlic Parmesan french loaf to sop up
> the sauce. The side was fresh asparagus.
> I added about a quarter cup of Thai Kitchen's Sweet Red Chili sauce to
> the sauce in the pan -- just because I like the stuff.
> It was terrific. I got the shrimp at Costco today -- beautiful 20s,
> wild caught for $11.99 a pound.
>
> Shrimp Scampi
>
> Ingredients
> 2 tablespoons butter
> 2 tablespoons olive oil
> 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
> 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
> 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (16/20 count)
> 2 lemons, halved
> 1/2 cup white wine
> 4 dashes hot sauce (I used tabasco), or more to taste
> Salt and freshly ground black pepper
>
> Directions
>
> Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium
> heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are
> translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, then stir and cook for a
> couple of minutes. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add the wine, hot
> sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and reduce the heat to low.
>
> Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
> Janet US

My recipe is similar, although I dry the shrimp with paper towels,
heat the oil to a shimmer and cook them for a minute on high heat
without turning them.

I love getting a little brown on them, which produces a fond for the
sauce. After a minute, I take them out of the pan, mount the sauce,
and then return the shrimp to the pan to finish cooking through for
just a few seconds.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 04:23:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 12:42:59 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I did Ree Drummonds (The Pioneer Woman) Shrimp Scampi tonight. We had
>> a new loaf of Costco's Roasted Garlic Parmesan french loaf to sop up
>> the sauce. The side was fresh asparagus.
>> I added about a quarter cup of Thai Kitchen's Sweet Red Chili sauce to
>> the sauce in the pan -- just because I like the stuff.
>> It was terrific. I got the shrimp at Costco today -- beautiful 20s,
>> wild caught for $11.99 a pound.
>>
>> Shrimp Scampi
>>
>> Ingredients
>> 2 tablespoons butter
>> 2 tablespoons olive oil
>> 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
>> 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
>> 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (16/20 count)
>> 2 lemons, halved
>> 1/2 cup white wine
>> 4 dashes hot sauce (I used tabasco), or more to taste
>> Salt and freshly ground black pepper
>>
>> Directions
>>
>> Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium
>> heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are
>> translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, then stir and cook for a
>> couple of minutes. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add the wine, hot
>> sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and reduce the heat to low.
>>
>> Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
>> Janet US

>My recipe is similar, although I dry the shrimp with paper towels,
>heat the oil to a shimmer and cook them for a minute on high heat
>without turning them.
>
>I love getting a little brown on them, which produces a fond for the
>sauce. After a minute, I take them out of the pan, mount the sauce,
>and then return the shrimp to the pan to finish cooking through for
>just a few seconds.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

That sounds nice. I do scallops that way.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 6:42:59 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I did Ree Drummonds (The Pioneer Woman) Shrimp Scampi tonight. We had
> a new loaf of Costco's Roasted Garlic Parmesan french loaf to sop up
> the sauce. The side was fresh asparagus.
> I added about a quarter cup of Thai Kitchen's Sweet Red Chili sauce to
> the sauce in the pan -- just because I like the stuff.
> It was terrific. I got the shrimp at Costco today -- beautiful 20s,
> wild caught for $11.99 a pound.
>
> Shrimp Scampi
>
> Ingredients
> 2 tablespoons butter
> 2 tablespoons olive oil
> 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
> 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
> 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (16/20 count)
> 2 lemons, halved
> 1/2 cup white wine
> 4 dashes hot sauce (I used tabasco), or more to taste
> Salt and freshly ground black pepper
>
> Directions
>
> Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium
> heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are
> translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, then stir and cook for a
> couple of minutes. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add the wine, hot
> sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and reduce the heat to low.
>
> Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
> Janet US

I like to make garlic shrimp the Hawaiian way, which is probably based on the Chinese way - shrimp in the shell, coated with flour, and fried at high temperature. We like a lot of garlic too. This probably comes from the Koreans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:30:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 6:42:59 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I did Ree Drummonds (The Pioneer Woman) Shrimp Scampi tonight. We had
>> a new loaf of Costco's Roasted Garlic Parmesan french loaf to sop up
>> the sauce. The side was fresh asparagus.
>> I added about a quarter cup of Thai Kitchen's Sweet Red Chili sauce to
>> the sauce in the pan -- just because I like the stuff.
>> It was terrific. I got the shrimp at Costco today -- beautiful 20s,
>> wild caught for $11.99 a pound.
>>
>> Shrimp Scampi
>>
>> Ingredients
>> 2 tablespoons butter
>> 2 tablespoons olive oil
>> 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
>> 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
>> 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (16/20 count)
>> 2 lemons, halved
>> 1/2 cup white wine
>> 4 dashes hot sauce (I used tabasco), or more to taste
>> Salt and freshly ground black pepper
>>
>> Directions
>>
>> Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium
>> heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are
>> translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, then stir and cook for a
>> couple of minutes. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add the wine, hot
>> sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and reduce the heat to low.
>>
>> Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
>> Janet US

>I like to make garlic shrimp the Hawaiian way, which is probably based on the Chinese way - shrimp in the shell, coated with flour, and fried at high temperature. We like a lot of garlic too. This probably comes from the Koreans.

that sounds wonderful. You'll have to make it for me because I am
really no good at frying.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:56:23 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:30:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>wrote:
>
>>On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 6:42:59 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> I did Ree Drummonds (The Pioneer Woman) Shrimp Scampi tonight. We had
>>> a new loaf of Costco's Roasted Garlic Parmesan french loaf to sop up
>>> the sauce. The side was fresh asparagus.
>>> I added about a quarter cup of Thai Kitchen's Sweet Red Chili sauce to
>>> the sauce in the pan -- just because I like the stuff.
>>> It was terrific. I got the shrimp at Costco today -- beautiful 20s,
>>> wild caught for $11.99 a pound.
>>>
>>> Shrimp Scampi
>>>
>>> Ingredients
>>> 2 tablespoons butter
>>> 2 tablespoons olive oil
>>> 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
>>> 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
>>> 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (16/20 count)
>>> 2 lemons, halved
>>> 1/2 cup white wine
>>> 4 dashes hot sauce (I used tabasco), or more to taste
>>> Salt and freshly ground black pepper
>>>
>>> Directions
>>>
>>> Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium
>>> heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are
>>> translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, then stir and cook for a
>>> couple of minutes. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add the wine, hot
>>> sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and reduce the heat to low.
>>>
>>> Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
>>> Janet US

>>I like to make garlic shrimp the Hawaiian way, which is probably based on the Chinese way - shrimp in the shell, coated with flour, and fried at high temperature. We like a lot of garlic too. This probably comes from the Koreans.

>that sounds wonderful. You'll have to make it for me because I am
>really no good at frying.
>Janet US

The Chinese saute/stir fry shrimp, just keep them moving by
tossing/flipping/stirring until nicely pink. Nowadays the Chinese
dust shrimp with corn starch to seal in the moisture but historically
they used dried and ground lotus root instead, a wonderful
thickener/sealer if you can find it... I used to buy it in NY's
Chinatown for cheap, now very pricey.
https://www.amazon.com/lotus-root-po...oot%20p owder
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 6:42:59 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I did Ree Drummonds (The Pioneer Woman) Shrimp Scampi tonight. We had
>> a new loaf of Costco's Roasted Garlic Parmesan french loaf to sop up
>> the sauce. The side was fresh asparagus.
>> I added about a quarter cup of Thai Kitchen's Sweet Red Chili sauce to
>> the sauce in the pan -- just because I like the stuff.
>> It was terrific. I got the shrimp at Costco today -- beautiful 20s,
>> wild caught for $11.99 a pound.
>>
>> Shrimp Scampi
>>
>> Ingredients
>> 2 tablespoons butter
>> 2 tablespoons olive oil
>> 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
>> 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
>> 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (16/20 count)
>> 2 lemons, halved
>> 1/2 cup white wine
>> 4 dashes hot sauce (I used tabasco), or more to taste
>> Salt and freshly ground black pepper
>>
>> Directions
>>
>> Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium
>> heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are
>> translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, then stir and cook for a
>> couple of minutes. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add the wine, hot
>> sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and reduce the heat to low.
>>
>> Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
>> Janet US

>I like to make garlic shrimp the Hawaiian way, which is probably based on the Chinese way - shrimp in the shell, coated with flour, and fried at high temperature. We like a lot of garlic too. This probably comes from the Koreans.

Do you suck the prawn heads like a true Chinese?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 7:56:30 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:30:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsiyahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 6:42:59 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> I did Ree Drummonds (The Pioneer Woman) Shrimp Scampi tonight. We had
> >> a new loaf of Costco's Roasted Garlic Parmesan french loaf to sop up
> >> the sauce. The side was fresh asparagus.
> >> I added about a quarter cup of Thai Kitchen's Sweet Red Chili sauce to
> >> the sauce in the pan -- just because I like the stuff.
> >> It was terrific. I got the shrimp at Costco today -- beautiful 20s,
> >> wild caught for $11.99 a pound.
> >>
> >> Shrimp Scampi
> >>
> >> Ingredients
> >> 2 tablespoons butter
> >> 2 tablespoons olive oil
> >> 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
> >> 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
> >> 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (16/20 count)
> >> 2 lemons, halved
> >> 1/2 cup white wine
> >> 4 dashes hot sauce (I used tabasco), or more to taste
> >> Salt and freshly ground black pepper
> >>
> >> Directions
> >>
> >> Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium
> >> heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are
> >> translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, then stir and cook for a
> >> couple of minutes. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add the wine, hot
> >> sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and reduce the heat to low.
> >>
> >> Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
> >> Janet US

> >I like to make garlic shrimp the Hawaiian way, which is probably based on the Chinese way - shrimp in the shell, coated with flour, and fried at high temperature. We like a lot of garlic too. This probably comes from the Koreans.

> that sounds wonderful. You'll have to make it for me because I am
> really no good at frying.
> Janet US

I like to cook that shrimp in a really hot wok till it starts to burn. You wouldn't normally be able to cook shrimp this way but leaving the shell on allows you to do this.

My daughter bought these doughnuts. Obviously, the one in the middle is a chocolate chip doughnut.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...UfiqXBgOR1OSAN
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 9:20:14 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:30:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 6:42:59 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> I did Ree Drummonds (The Pioneer Woman) Shrimp Scampi tonight. We had
> >> a new loaf of Costco's Roasted Garlic Parmesan french loaf to sop up
> >> the sauce. The side was fresh asparagus.
> >> I added about a quarter cup of Thai Kitchen's Sweet Red Chili sauce to
> >> the sauce in the pan -- just because I like the stuff.
> >> It was terrific. I got the shrimp at Costco today -- beautiful 20s,
> >> wild caught for $11.99 a pound.
> >>
> >> Shrimp Scampi
> >>
> >> Ingredients
> >> 2 tablespoons butter
> >> 2 tablespoons olive oil
> >> 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
> >> 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
> >> 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp (16/20 count)
> >> 2 lemons, halved
> >> 1/2 cup white wine
> >> 4 dashes hot sauce (I used tabasco), or more to taste
> >> Salt and freshly ground black pepper
> >>
> >> Directions
> >>
> >> Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium
> >> heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are
> >> translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, then stir and cook for a
> >> couple of minutes. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add the wine, hot
> >> sauce, salt and pepper. Stir and reduce the heat to low.
> >>
> >> Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
> >> Janet US

> >I like to make garlic shrimp the Hawaiian way, which is probably based on the Chinese way - shrimp in the shell, coated with flour, and fried at high temperature. We like a lot of garlic too. This probably comes from the Koreans.

> Do you suck the prawn heads like a true Chinese?

Heck no! I'm not true Chinese. My dad would do that although he's no true Chinese either.

I saw some squid luau made with kale. This blew my mind because squid luau is made with taro leaves. This might be more suited for folks on the mainland because people can get kale there. Kale also is milder in taste which can be a plus for mainland folks.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...K7Lp46XcExhXBP

http://www.polynesia.com/squid-luau.html#.WTyUKmgrKUk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 17:53:41 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 9:20:14 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:30:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I like to make garlic shrimp the Hawaiian way, which is probably based on the Chinese way - shrimp in the shell, coated with flour, and fried at high temperature. We like a lot of garlic too. This probably comes from the Koreans.

>> Do you suck the prawn heads like a true Chinese?

>Heck no! I'm not true Chinese. My dad would do that although he's no true Chinese either.

I can't do it either.

>I saw some squid luau made with kale. This blew my mind because squid luau is made with taro leaves. This might be more suited for folks on the mainland because people can get kale there. Kale also is milder in taste which can be a plus for mainland folks.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...K7Lp46XcExhXBP
>
>http://www.polynesia.com/squid-luau.html#.WTyUKmgrKUk

I haven't met a squid I didn't like, so I'm sure I'd like this one
too. It would have to be with kale, because I can't get the taro
leaves in Woop-Woop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 3:35:26 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 17:53:41 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1ahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 9:20:14 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> Do you suck the prawn heads like a true Chinese?

> >Heck no! I'm not true Chinese. My dad would do that although he's no true Chinese either.

> I can't do it either.
>
> >I saw some squid luau made with kale. This blew my mind because squid luau is made with taro leaves. This might be more suited for folks on the mainland because people can get kale there. Kale also is milder in taste which can be a plus for mainland folks.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...K7Lp46XcExhXBP
> >
> >http://www.polynesia.com/squid-luau.html#.WTyUKmgrKUk

> I haven't met a squid I didn't like, so I'm sure I'd like this one
> too. It would have to be with kale, because I can't get the taro
> leaves in Woop-Woop.

The good thing about using kale is that you don't have to boil it for an hour. This is a significant advantage. Just make sure that the kale is very mushy.

You can also use octopus for this recipe instead of squid. The squid luau that I tried this morning had neither squid or luau leaves. It was, however, quite tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 19:23:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 3:35:26 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 17:53:41 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1ahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Heck no! I'm not true Chinese. My dad would do that although he's no true Chinese either.

>> I can't do it either.
>>
>> >I saw some squid luau made with kale. This blew my mind because squid luau is made with taro leaves. This might be more suited for folks on the mainland because people can get kale there. Kale also is milder in taste which can be a plus for mainland folks.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...K7Lp46XcExhXBP
>> >
>> >http://www.polynesia.com/squid-luau.html#.WTyUKmgrKUk

>> I haven't met a squid I didn't like, so I'm sure I'd like this one
>> too. It would have to be with kale, because I can't get the taro
>> leaves in Woop-Woop.

>The good thing about using kale is that you don't have to boil it for an hour. This is a significant advantage. Just make sure that the kale is very mushy.
>
>You can also use octopus for this recipe instead of squid. The squid luau that I tried this morning had neither squid or luau leaves. It was, however, quite tasty.

Ok, I'm going to make that. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 12:51:06 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 19:23:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 3:35:26 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>>> I can't do it either.

>>> I haven't met a squid I didn't like, so I'm sure I'd like this one
>>> too. It would have to be with kale, because I can't get the taro
>>> leaves in Woop-Woop.

>>The good thing about using kale is that you don't have to boil it for an hour. This is a significant advantage. Just make sure that the kale is very mushy.
>>
>>You can also use octopus for this recipe instead of squid. The squid luau that I tried this morning had neither squid or luau leaves. It was, however, quite tasty.

>Ok, I'm going to make that. Thanks.

I just made this with dried taro leaves and it was good. I was a bit
worried at first because they smelled like tea. But after 40 minutes
of simmering in coconut milk, they were very smooth and nice. And
combined well with the squid. Next time, I'll use more fish sauce,
garlic, ginger etc. I wanted to get the natural taro leaf flavour this
first time.

Shrimp Scampi, ...and what else? Pringles CheezUms General Cooking 350 25-09-2014 05:05 PM
Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi Pat Shipp Recipes (moderated) 0 24-01-2008 06:17 PM
What do you serve with scampi? Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 11 16-09-2007 08:28 PM
Salmon Scampi fred General Cooking 3 01-06-2007 12:12 AM
Chicken Scampi Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 17-01-2007 05:42 AM