Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dried Mint

On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:45:33 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I've made tabouli many times and have always used fresh chopped mint
>along with fresh chopped parsley. In fact, I don't like tabouli
>without then mint. However, I cannot seem to locate any fresh mint
>right now and welcome anyone's opinion on substituting dried mint in
>the mix.
>
>TIA

A couple of summers ago I experimented as I love fresh mint but it
can't over winter on my balcony. Some I chopped and froze, some
chopped and frozen in ice cubes, some just washed and frozen, some
made into mint sauce. None truly retained the lovely flavour of fresh
mint - so for me it's fresh or forget it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lucretia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:45:33 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
> > I've made tabouli many times and have always used fresh chopped
> > mint along with fresh chopped parsley. In fact, I don't like
> > tabouli without then mint. However, I cannot seem to locate any
> > fresh mint right now and welcome anyone's opinion on substituting
> > dried mint in the mix.
> >
> > TIA

> A couple of summers ago I experimented as I love fresh mint but it
> can't over winter on my balcony. Some I chopped and froze, some
> chopped and frozen in ice cubes, some just washed and frozen, some
> made into mint sauce. None truly retained the lovely flavour of fresh
> mint - so for me it's fresh or forget it.

It is pretty easy to grow from seed so maybe start some more?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 06:58:18 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>lucretia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:45:33 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I've made tabouli many times and have always used fresh chopped
>> > mint along with fresh chopped parsley. In fact, I don't like
>> > tabouli without then mint. However, I cannot seem to locate any
>> > fresh mint right now and welcome anyone's opinion on substituting
>> > dried mint in the mix.
>> >
>> > TIA

>> A couple of summers ago I experimented as I love fresh mint but it
>> can't over winter on my balcony. Some I chopped and froze, some
>> chopped and frozen in ice cubes, some just washed and frozen, some
>> made into mint sauce. None truly retained the lovely flavour of fresh
>> mint - so for me it's fresh or forget it.

>It is pretty easy to grow from seed so maybe start some more?

I grow it new EVERY year, but as I said, it can't over winter allowing
me to cut some in the depths of winter! If the pot is brought in for
the winter it will hang in but again, loses the vibrant flavour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lucretia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 28 May 2017 06:58:18 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > lucretia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:45:33 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

> >> A couple of summers ago I experimented as I love fresh mint but it
> >> can't over winter on my balcony. Some I chopped and froze, some
> >> chopped and frozen in ice cubes, some just washed and frozen, some
> >> made into mint sauce. None truly retained the lovely flavour of

> fresh >> mint - so for me it's fresh or forget it.
> >
> > It is pretty easy to grow from seed so maybe start some more?

> I grow it new EVERY year, but as I said, it can't over winter allowing
> me to cut some in the depths of winter! If the pot is brought in for
> the winter it will hang in but again, loses the vibrant flavour.

I planted a patch in 1995 in a contained area along my fence along with
some chives. The chives are still thriving. ;-)

For whatever reason, I've not grown much in the arena of herbs. Just
one lavendar (was supposed to be a rosemary but until it bloomed, didnt
realize it). That plant lasted 6 years until 2 winters ago, it didnt
come back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-28 9:05 AM, cshenk wrote:

>> I grow it new EVERY year, but as I said, it can't over winter allowing
>> me to cut some in the depths of winter! If the pot is brought in for
>> the winter it will hang in but again, loses the vibrant flavour.

> I planted a patch in 1995 in a contained area along my fence along with
> some chives. The chives are still thriving. ;-)
>
> For whatever reason, I've not grown much in the arena of herbs. Just
> one lavendar (was supposed to be a rosemary but until it bloomed, didnt
> realize it). That plant lasted 6 years until 2 winters ago, it didnt
> come back.

I have mint in my back yard. It is nice to use fresh. I have tried tried
mint and it is a far cry from fresh. The only thing it is much useful
for is mint sauce, and that is inferior to fresh.

I have lived her for 40 years and have always had patches of chives
growing in various places. It is curious that the place it grows best is
at the base of one of the black walnut trees, because those trees killed
everything else that I tried to grow back there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:05:10 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>lucretia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> fresh >> mint - so for me it's fresh or forget it.
>> >
>> > It is pretty easy to grow from seed so maybe start some more?

>> I grow it new EVERY year, but as I said, it can't over winter allowing
>> me to cut some in the depths of winter! If the pot is brought in for
>> the winter it will hang in but again, loses the vibrant flavour.

>I planted a patch in 1995 in a contained area along my fence along with
>some chives. The chives are still thriving. ;-)
>
>For whatever reason, I've not grown much in the arena of herbs. Just
>one lavendar (was supposed to be a rosemary but until it bloomed, didnt
>realize it). That plant lasted 6 years until 2 winters ago, it didnt
>come back.

Although I now live in a condo I am an experienced gardener and mint
cannot, even in a fibre glass lined pot, survive our winter. The
chives do, but not the mint.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 09:11:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-05-28 9:05 AM, cshenk wrote:
>
>>> I grow it new EVERY year, but as I said, it can't over winter allowing
>>> me to cut some in the depths of winter! If the pot is brought in for
>>> the winter it will hang in but again, loses the vibrant flavour.

>> I planted a patch in 1995 in a contained area along my fence along with
>> some chives. The chives are still thriving. ;-)
>>
>> For whatever reason, I've not grown much in the arena of herbs. Just
>> one lavendar (was supposed to be a rosemary but until it bloomed, didnt
>> realize it). That plant lasted 6 years until 2 winters ago, it didnt
>> come back.

>I have mint in my back yard. It is nice to use fresh. I have tried tried
>mint and it is a far cry from fresh. The only thing it is much useful
>for is mint sauce, and that is inferior to fresh.
>
>I have lived her for 40 years and have always had patches of chives
>growing in various places. It is curious that the place it grows best is
>at the base of one of the black walnut trees, because those trees killed
> everything else that I tried to grow back there.

I didn't have any problem with mint in a garden but on a cement
balcony in our winter, it's a no go. I lined the pot with fibre glass
but even that wasn't enough. Chives seem hardier, mine are up and
flourishing in their pot and it's the same pot they've lived in for
ten years now! Talk about a no care plant.

I tried a couple of years ago storing mint every which way I could
think of but it loses it's bite no matter what. Even buying some
fresh mint from hydroponic greenhouses through the winter comes in
second to fresh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-05-28 9:05 AM, cshenk wrote:
>
> > > I grow it new EVERY year, but as I said, it can't over winter
> > > allowing me to cut some in the depths of winter! If the pot is
> > > brought in for the winter it will hang in but again, loses the
> > > vibrant flavour.

> > I planted a patch in 1995 in a contained area along my fence along
> > with some chives. The chives are still thriving. ;-)
> >
> > For whatever reason, I've not grown much in the arena of herbs.
> > Just one lavendar (was supposed to be a rosemary but until it
> > bloomed, didnt realize it). That plant lasted 6 years until 2
> > winters ago, it didnt come back.

> I have mint in my back yard. It is nice to use fresh. I have tried
> tried mint and it is a far cry from fresh. The only thing it is much
> useful for is mint sauce, and that is inferior to fresh.
>
> I have lived her for 40 years and have always had patches of chives
> growing in various places. It is curious that the place it grows best
> is at the base of one of the black walnut trees, because those trees
> killed everything else that I tried to grow back there.

LOL! My chive patch is at the base of a Pecan and that tree kills
other plants too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 8:28:48 AM UTC-4, lucretia wrote:
> On Sun, 28 May 2017 06:58:18 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >lucretia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:45:33 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

> >> A couple of summers ago I experimented as I love fresh mint but it
> >> can't over winter on my balcony. Some I chopped and froze, some
> >> chopped and frozen in ice cubes, some just washed and frozen, some
> >> made into mint sauce. None truly retained the lovely flavour of fresh
> >> mint - so for me it's fresh or forget it.

> >It is pretty easy to grow from seed so maybe start some more?

> I grow it new EVERY year, but as I said, it can't over winter allowing
> me to cut some in the depths of winter! If the pot is brought in for
> the winter it will hang in but again, loses the vibrant flavour.

I grow mint in a pot on the patio every summer. I could grow it in
the ground, but I'm a little reluctant to put it in and watch it
take over wherever I plant it. OTOH, I've got two acres. If I
planted it in the "back 40", it would be ages before it marched
up to the house. And my lawnmower would smell minty fresh.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 07:07:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 8:28:48 AM UTC-4, lucretia wrote:

>> >It is pretty easy to grow from seed so maybe start some more?

>> I grow it new EVERY year, but as I said, it can't over winter allowing
>> me to cut some in the depths of winter! If the pot is brought in for
>> the winter it will hang in but again, loses the vibrant flavour.

>I grow mint in a pot on the patio every summer. I could grow it in
>the ground, but I'm a little reluctant to put it in and watch it
>take over wherever I plant it. OTOH, I've got two acres. If I
>planted it in the "back 40", it would be ages before it marched
>up to the house. And my lawnmower would smell minty fresh.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

When I planted it in the garden I used an old bucket and drilled holes
in it. Then planted the whole thing, it stayed nicely contained, as
far as I know it still is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lucretia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 28 May 2017 09:11:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> allowing >>> me to cut some in the depths of winter! If the pot is
> brought in for >>> the winter it will hang in but again, loses the
> vibrant flavour. >>
> >> I planted a patch in 1995 in a contained area along my fence along

> with >> some chives. The chives are still thriving. ;-)
> >>
> >> For whatever reason, I've not grown much in the arena of herbs.

> Just >> one lavendar (was supposed to be a rosemary but until it
> bloomed, didnt >> realize it). That plant lasted 6 years until 2
> winters ago, it didnt >> come back.
> >

> > I have mint in my back yard. It is nice to use fresh. I have tried
> > tried mint and it is a far cry from fresh. The only thing it is
> > much useful for is mint sauce, and that is inferior to fresh.
> >
> > I have lived her for 40 years and have always had patches of
> > chives growing in various places. It is curious that the place it
> > grows best is at the base of one of the black walnut trees, because
> > those trees killed everything else that I tried to grow back there.
> >

> I didn't have any problem with mint in a garden but on a cement
> balcony in our winter, it's a no go. I lined the pot with fibre glass
> but even that wasn't enough. Chives seem hardier, mine are up and
> flourishing in their pot and it's the same pot they've lived in for
> ten years now! Talk about a no care plant.
>
> I tried a couple of years ago storing mint every which way I could
> think of but it loses it's bite no matter what. Even buying some
> fresh mint from hydroponic greenhouses through the winter comes in
> second to fresh.

I guess I'm lucky that my cookery isn't using mint much then!

I too container garden and have been all my life it seems in various
apartments we lived in over military moves. I do it here too in the
house we bought because I have no clue what runoff I have from
neighbors now plus we don't have a choice on flea and tick treating our
own back yard. Although what we use for that is supposed to be
environmentally safe, I don't like the idea of eating fruits and
veggies that have been sprayed with it.

It also helps my back a lot since containers are easy to rise and my
husband built us raised holders. Front yard however has my 2 apple
trees which only treatment used is a light spray soapy water (shaved
Ivory soap mixed with water) and eggshells at the base for calcium
(helps prevent blossom rot).

Right now I have 4 good looking tomato plants, some failed lettuce (old
seed, need to get fresh as only 1/2 came up), a few milder chile types,
and something else I planted that may be squash (I've forgotten type)
and some promising cucumbers. One other planter has a lot of green
onions now coming up.

The apple trees look good to again yield some 200 small ones each. I'm
at the stage where a commercial grower filters them out so as to get
bigger ones but I leave them be and get a long crop of smaller ones,
with an average of 3 months yield.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lucretia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:05:10 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > lucretia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> chopped >> >> > mint along with fresh chopped parsley. In fact, I
> don't like >> >> > tabouli without then mint. However, I cannot seem
> to locate any >> >> > fresh mint right now and welcome anyone's
> opinion on substituting >> >> > dried mint in the mix.

> it >> >> can't over winter on my balcony. Some I chopped and froze,
> some >> >> chopped and frozen in ice cubes, some just washed and
> frozen, some >> >> made into mint sauce. None truly retained the
> lovely flavour of >> fresh >> mint - so for me it's fresh or forget
> it. >> >
> >>
> >> I grow it new EVERY year, but as I said, it can't over winter

> allowing >> me to cut some in the depths of winter! If the pot is
> brought in for >> the winter it will hang in but again, loses the
> vibrant flavour.
> >
> > I planted a patch in 1995 in a contained area along my fence along
> > with some chives. The chives are still thriving. ;-)
> >
> > For whatever reason, I've not grown much in the arena of herbs.
> > Just one lavendar (was supposed to be a rosemary but until it
> > bloomed, didnt realize it). That plant lasted 6 years until 2
> > winters ago, it didnt come back.

> Although I now live in a condo I am an experienced gardener and mint
> cannot, even in a fibre glass lined pot, survive our winter. The
> chives do, but not the mint.

Good to know! I'm not particularily experienced at gardening, other
than container types. I'm happy enough with the results I get.

Biggest thing I need to get is more lettuce seeds. I need them for my
dog (laugh, long story, short version is stool softening for a Tramadol
issue).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 10:54:41 -0300, lucretia
> wrote:

snip

>I tried a couple of years ago storing mint every which way I could
>think of but it loses it's bite no matter what. Even buying some
>fresh mint from hydroponic greenhouses through the winter comes in
>second to fresh.

I came to the conclusion some years ago that to really exhibit the
full range of aroma and taste, herbs need to be exposed to sun and
breeze. Even those herbs grown indoors can't demonstrate the same
characteristics.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-28 9:54 AM, lucretia wrote:
> On Sun, 28 May 2017 09:11:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> I didn't have any problem with mint in a garden but on a cement
> balcony in our winter, it's a no go. I lined the pot with fibre glass
> but even that wasn't enough. Chives seem hardier, mine are up and
> flourishing in their pot and it's the same pot they've lived in for
> ten years now! Talk about a no care plant.
>
> I tried a couple of years ago storing mint every which way I could
> think of but it loses it's bite no matter what. Even buying some
> fresh mint from hydroponic greenhouses through the winter comes in
> second to fresh.

I hate to tell you, but fibreglass insulation might do more harm that
good. It works too ways, not so much keeping heat in, but restricting
the transfer of heat either way. If it is sitting outside for the
winter it is likely to freeze after an extended period of cold. Once
that happens it is going to stay cold. When you start getting periods of
sunlight that could warm it up, that insulation is going to keep it
frozen. FWIW, I have some mint in a small planter beside the patio and
it comes back every year. It looks a little scraggly at first, but all
you need is on or two stems with roots in the soil and you soon have a
potful of mint.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-28 10:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 8:28:48 AM UTC-4, lucretia wrote:

>>> It is pretty easy to grow from seed so maybe start some more?

>> I grow it new EVERY year, but as I said, it can't over winter allowing
>> me to cut some in the depths of winter! If the pot is brought in for
>> the winter it will hang in but again, loses the vibrant flavour.

> I grow mint in a pot on the patio every summer. I could grow it in
> the ground, but I'm a little reluctant to put it in and watch it
> take over wherever I plant it. OTOH, I've got two acres. If I
> planted it in the "back 40", it would be ages before it marched
> up to the house. And my lawnmower would smell minty fresh.

I have some growing by my compost bin. It started off in pots to contain
the roots, but I guess some seeds fell outside so it started to growing
a larger patch on its own. It has been there for at least 10 years and
has not invaded the lawn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 12:03:02 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-05-28 9:54 AM, lucretia wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 May 2017 09:11:57 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>> I didn't have any problem with mint in a garden but on a cement
>> balcony in our winter, it's a no go. I lined the pot with fibre glass
>> but even that wasn't enough. Chives seem hardier, mine are up and
>> flourishing in their pot and it's the same pot they've lived in for
>> ten years now! Talk about a no care plant.
>>
>> I tried a couple of years ago storing mint every which way I could
>> think of but it loses it's bite no matter what. Even buying some
>> fresh mint from hydroponic greenhouses through the winter comes in
>> second to fresh.

>I hate to tell you, but fibreglass insulation might do more harm that
>good. It works too ways, not so much keeping heat in, but restricting
>the transfer of heat either way. If it is sitting outside for the
>winter it is likely to freeze after an extended period of cold. Once
>that happens it is going to stay cold. When you start getting periods of
>sunlight that could warm it up, that insulation is going to keep it
>frozen. FWIW, I have some mint in a small planter beside the patio and
>it comes back every year. It looks a little scraggly at first, but all
>you need is on or two stems with roots in the soil and you soon have a
>potful of mint.

That's not really a comparison - my pot was on a concrete floor with
30-40 ft airspace below plus the harsh environment around it. Fibre
glass pot lining did well for other things, but not the mint.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-05-28 9:54 AM, lucretia wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 May 2017 09:11:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
> >
> > I didn't have any problem with mint in a garden but on a cement
> > balcony in our winter, it's a no go. I lined the pot with fibre
> > glass but even that wasn't enough. Chives seem hardier, mine are
> > up and flourishing in their pot and it's the same pot they've lived
> > in for ten years now! Talk about a no care plant.
> >
> > I tried a couple of years ago storing mint every which way I could
> > think of but it loses it's bite no matter what. Even buying some
> > fresh mint from hydroponic greenhouses through the winter comes in
> > second to fresh.

> I hate to tell you, but fibreglass insulation might do more harm
> that good. It works too ways, not so much keeping heat in, but
> restricting the transfer of heat either way. If it is sitting
> outside for the winter it is likely to freeze after an extended
> period of cold. Once that happens it is going to stay cold. When you
> start getting periods of sunlight that could warm it up, that
> insulation is going to keep it frozen. FWIW, I have some mint in a
> small planter beside the patio and it comes back every year. It
> looks a little scraggly at first, but all you need is on or two stems
> with roots in the soil and you soon have a potful of mint.

Well, I don't know how cold it is where he is. I'm in Virginia Beach
and with effort, I can possibly winter over mint but mostly here, it
just comes back up in Spring.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2017 1:40 PM, cshenk wrote:

>> On 2017-05-28 9:54 AM, lucretia wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't have any problem with mint in a garden but on a cement
>>> balcony in our winter, it's a no go.

(snippage)

> Well, I don't know how cold it is where he is. I'm in Virginia Beach
> and with effort, I can possibly winter over mint but mostly here, it
> just comes back up in Spring.

Lucretia is in Canada (so is Dave, he's up near Niagara Falls)... I
forget which province lucretia is in. I do believe it gets a heck of a
lot colder in the winter there than it does in Virginia Beach.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2017 8:22 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> Lucretia is in Canada (so is Dave, he's up near Niagara Falls)... I
> forget which province lucretia is in. I do believe it gets a heck of a
> lot colder in the winter there than it does in Virginia Beach.

You are correct. BTW, Lucretia lives much farther north than Dave does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> (snippage)
> >
> > Well, I don't know how cold it is where he is. I'm in Virginia
> > Beach and with effort, I can possibly winter over mint but mostly
> > here, it just comes back up in Spring.
> >

> Lucretia is in Canada (so is Dave, he's up near Niagara Falls)... I
> forget which province lucretia is in. I do believe it gets a heck of
> a lot colder in the winter there than it does in Virginia Beach.
>
> Jill

Then it totally makes sense that they can't do more than plant fresh
come spring for some things!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 May 2017 10:51:21 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> (snippage)
>> >
>> > Well, I don't know how cold it is where he is. I'm in Virginia
>> > Beach and with effort, I can possibly winter over mint but mostly
>> > here, it just comes back up in Spring.
>> >

>> Lucretia is in Canada (so is Dave, he's up near Niagara Falls)... I
>> forget which province lucretia is in. I do believe it gets a heck of
>> a lot colder in the winter there than it does in Virginia Beach.
>>
>> Jill

>Then it totally makes sense that they can't do more than plant fresh
>come spring for some things!

It gets colder than a witch's tit here in winter and mint grows like
the dickens. Mint grows along the banks of my creek and in other wet
spots that I mow. Mint seems to like shady wet spots... perhaps
yoose gals can grow some in your beds. hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 May 2017 15:07:49 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> cement >> > > > balcony in our winter, it's a no go.

>> of >> a lot colder in the winter there than it does in Virginia Beach.

>> > Then it totally makes sense that they can't do more than plant fresh
>> > come spring for some things!

>> It gets colder than a witch's tit here in winter and mint grows like
>> the dickens. Mint grows along the banks of my creek and in other wet
>> spots that I mow. Mint seems to like shady wet spots..

>They are talking about it growing in winter, not coming up next spring.

they are talking about it not making it through the winter to come up
again next spring.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2017 4:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2017 15:07:49 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> cement >> > > > balcony in our winter, it's a no go.

>>> of >> a lot colder in the winter there than it does in Virginia Beach.

>>> It gets colder than a witch's tit here in winter and mint grows like
>>> the dickens. Mint grows along the banks of my creek and in other wet
>>> spots that I mow. Mint seems to like shady wet spots..

>> They are talking about it growing in winter, not coming up next spring.

> they are talking about it not making it through the winter to come up
> again next spring.

It takes a lot of cold for that. Here in CT we have our share of zero
days but the mint has been coming up for a couple of decades. We don't
use much, but a julep is nice at times. It is in the ground though, not
in a pot that is affected more by temperature swings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> On Mon, 29 May 2017 10:51:21 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> (snippage)

> >> Lucretia is in Canada (so is Dave, he's up near Niagara Falls)... I
> >> forget which province lucretia is in. I do believe it gets a heck of
> >> a lot colder in the winter there than it does in Virginia Beach.
> >>
> >> Jill

> >Then it totally makes sense that they can't do more than plant fresh
> >come spring for some things!

> It gets colder than a witch's tit here in winter and mint grows like
> the dickens. Mint grows along the banks of my creek and in other wet
> spots that I mow. Mint seems to like shady wet spots... perhaps
> yoose gals can grow some in your beds. hehe

Yer talkin' some very *frigid* places...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 May 2017 16:41:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/29/2017 4:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> They are talking about it growing in winter, not coming up next spring.

>> they are talking about it not making it through the winter to come up
>> again next spring.
>>

>It takes a lot of cold for that. Here in CT we have our share of zero
>days but the mint has been coming up for a couple of decades. We don't
>use much, but a julep is nice at times. It is in the ground though, not
>in a pot that is affected more by temperature swings.

Exactly, especially on a balcony thirty foot up
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 May 2017 18:49:34 -0300, lucretia
> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 May 2017 16:41:08 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> they are talking about it not making it through the winter to come up
>>> again next spring.
>>>

>>It takes a lot of cold for that. Here in CT we have our share of zero
>>days but the mint has been coming up for a couple of decades. We don't
>>use much, but a julep is nice at times. It is in the ground though, not
>>in a pot that is affected more by temperature swings.

>Exactly, especially on a balcony thirty foot up

My mint has been growing down by the creek for 50 years. The ducks
have eaten it down beyond the surface of the earth and it still keeps
coming back and spreading. However, the one time I tried growing it
in a pot up on the deck it did not survive the winter.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2017 11:51 AM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> (snippage)
>>>
>>> Well, I don't know how cold it is where he is. I'm in Virginia
>>> Beach and with effort, I can possibly winter over mint but mostly
>>> here, it just comes back up in Spring.
>>>

>> Lucretia is in Canada (so is Dave, he's up near Niagara Falls)... I
>> forget which province lucretia is in. I do believe it gets a heck of
>> a lot colder in the winter there than it does in Virginia Beach.
>>
>> Jill

> Then it totally makes sense that they can't do more than plant fresh
> come spring for some things!

Yes, that's why it makes perfect sense she can't grow fresh mint in a
pot on her cement balcony. In the winter.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 May 2017 13:59:25 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:

>> >Then it totally makes sense that they can't do more than plant fresh
>> >come spring for some things!

>> It gets colder than a witch's tit here in winter and mint grows like
>> the dickens. Mint grows along the banks of my creek and in other wet
>> spots that I mow. Mint seems to like shady wet spots... perhaps
>> yoose gals can grow some in your beds. hehe

>Yer talkin' some very *frigid* places...
>
>;-)

Probably icicles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://jaybeesgarden.org.uk/extras/DSCF0568.JPG

> Janet UK

Lovely, Really nice. I wish I had some iris of that blood red color.
I have to keep my bay in a pot to bring indoors in the winter. Your
climate is apparently more temperate than mine. I have taken to
growing my oregano in a very large pot up on the deck. I used to have
it in the garden but those seedlings just spread and spread. I have a
kitchen garden on my deck, mostly because I love trailing my hand
through the herbs for the scent. I don't get much of the scent these
days but occasionally I do. Do you think it worthwhile to have garlic
chives in addition to onion chives? Do you use them or are you like
me, you just want a scented garden
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> In the garden I grow half a dozen mints; rosemary,bay, lovage, fennel,
>two sages, several thymes,marjoram, lemon balm, oregano. They all
>survive year to year (mint, chives, garlic chives, borage,fennel and
>lovage die right back below ground in winter). Most of them seed or
>spread themselves around, except parsley and coriander which I plant
>new every year.
>
>Corner of herb garden
>
>http://jaybeesgarden.org.uk/extras/DSCF0568.JPG
>
> Janet UK

Lovely garden with a spectacular view. Those gladiolas are superb.
They look like Espresso:
http://www.edenbrothers.com/store/gl...lbs_magma.html
I tried glads here but the deer eat the buds even before they open...
same with iris.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Tue, 30 May 2017 15:07:04 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
> >In article >,

> >says...
> >>
> >> On Sun, 28 May 2017 10:54:41 -0300, lucretia
> >>
> >> snip

> >> I came to the conclusion some years ago that to really exhibit the
> >> full range of aroma and taste, herbs need to be exposed to sun and
> >> breeze. Even those herbs grown indoors can't demonstrate the same
> >> characteristics.
> >> Janet US

> > +1.
> >
> > In the garden I grow half a dozen mints; rosemary,bay, lovage, fennel,
> >two sages, several thymes,marjoram, lemon balm, oregano. They all
> >survive year to year (mint, chives, garlic chives, borage,fennel and
> >lovage die right back below ground in winter). Most of them seed or
> >spread themselves around, except parsley and coriander which I plant
> >new every year.
> >
> >Corner of herb garden

http://jaybeesgarden.org.uk/extras/DSCF0568.JPG

> > Janet UK

> Lovely, Really nice. I wish I had some iris of that blood red color.

They are gladioli "Blackjack".

> I have to keep my bay in a pot to bring indoors in the winter. Your
> climate is apparently more temperate than mine.

Winteres here are very mild, because of the gulf stream (mild enough
that the gladioli don't need to be lifted for winter).

I have taken to
> growing my oregano in a very large pot up on the deck. I used to have
> it in the garden but those seedlings just spread and spread.

They are a bit of a pain but suppress weeds and attract bees.

I have a
> kitchen garden on my deck, mostly because I love trailing my hand
> through the herbs for the scent. I don't get much of the scent these
> days but occasionally I do. Do you think it worthwhile to have garlic
> chives in addition to onion chives? Do you use them or are you like
> me, you just want a scented garden

I was given the garlic chives at a plant swap, tbh I don't bother
eating them because the leaves are a bit fleshier and I prefer the
flavour and texture of the other sort. Like you I love the herb garden
scent.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, penmart01
@aol.com says...

> Janet wrote:
> >
> > In the garden I grow half a dozen mints; rosemary,bay, lovage, fennel,
> >two sages, several thymes,marjoram, lemon balm, oregano. They all
> >survive year to year (mint, chives, garlic chives, borage,fennel and
> >lovage die right back below ground in winter). Most of them seed or
> >spread themselves around, except parsley and coriander which I plant
> >new every year.
> >
> >Corner of herb garden
> >
> >http://jaybeesgarden.org.uk/extras/DSCF0568.JPG
> >
> > Janet UK

> Lovely garden with a spectacular view. Those gladiolas are superb.
> They look like Espresso:
> http://www.edenbrothers.com/store/gl...lbs_magma.html

Thanks, Close but not quite; mine are blackjack

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/15-gladiol...kjack-1005385c

> I tried glads here but the deer eat the buds even before they open...
> same with iris.

There are lots of deer on the island here but luckily nearly all of
them are on the other side of a deer fence put up by the forestry
people, so we never get them in the garden . They were a pain at my last
place, ate all the tulips. They won't touch daffodils though

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 May 2017 21:00:33 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, penmart01
says...

>> Janet wrote:
>> >
>> > In the garden I grow half a dozen mints; rosemary,bay, lovage, fennel,
>> >two sages, several thymes,marjoram, lemon balm, oregano. They all
>> >survive year to year (mint, chives, garlic chives, borage,fennel and
>> >lovage die right back below ground in winter). Most of them seed or
>> >spread themselves around, except parsley and coriander which I plant
>> >new every year.
>> >
>> >Corner of herb garden
>> >
>> >http://jaybeesgarden.org.uk/extras/DSCF0568.JPG
>> >
>> > Janet UK

>> Lovely garden with a spectacular view. Those gladiolas are superb.
>> They look like Espresso:
>> http://www.edenbrothers.com/store/gl...lbs_magma.html

> Thanks, Close but not quite; mine are blackjack
>
> http://www.jparkers.co.uk/15-gladiol...kjack-1005385c
>
>> I tried glads here but the deer eat the buds even before they open...
>> same with iris.

> There are lots of deer on the island here but luckily nearly all of
>them are on the other side of a deer fence put up by the forestry
>people, so we never get them in the garden . They were a pain at my last
>place, ate all the tulips. They won't touch daffodils though
>
> Janet UK

A lot of my plants are fenced but it would be difficult and not very
esthetic fencing my creek. At the creek I plant a lot of daffs and
others that critters don't eat like foxglove. I have one clump of red
and yellow tulips near the house that are fenced.
It's pouring rain here again, an extremely wet spring. It'll take a
month of dry weather before I can catch up with my mowing. I have a
hawthorne tree that's in full flower but it's too wet and gray to
attempt a photo... perhaps tomorrow.
I emailed Tinypic and they wrote back saying they know there's a
problem and are working on it.