Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork Belliies... have you tried them ??

On a recent trip to Hawaii, there were Pork Bellies on the menu as an appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a slab od meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it into little pieces and ate it. Was good, they were cooked in what I would call a BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with these?
Thanks Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 10:25:04 -0700 (PDT), rosie >
wrote:

>On a recent trip to Hawaii, there were Pork Bellies on the menu as an appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a slab od meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it into little pieces and ate it. Was good, they were cooked in what I would call a BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with these?
>Thanks Rosie

Yes a Cantonese friend showed me her recipe several years ago and my
aunt would slow roast the piece in its entirety, also very nice if you
like crackling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

rosie wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On a recent trip to Hawaii, there were Pork Bellies on the menu as an
> appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a slab od
> meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it into little
> pieces and ate it. Was good, they were cooked in what I would call a
> BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with these? Thanks Rosie

Hi Rosie,

Yes and quite popular in the South USA as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 7:25:06 AM UTC-10, rosie wrote:
> On a recent trip to Hawaii, there were Pork Bellies on the menu as an appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a slab od meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it into little pieces and ate it. Was good, they were cooked in what I would call a BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with these?
> Thanks Rosie

Pork belly is great stuff. Shoyu pork, kau yuk, and Chinese roast pork are the most popular ways to prepare pork belly in Hawaii - the pork belly holy trinity.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...s/request.html

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/lau-yee-chais-kau-yuk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 12:53:52 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>rosie wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On a recent trip to Hawaii, there were Pork Bellies on the menu as an
>> appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a slab od
>> meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it into little
>> pieces and ate it. Was good, they were cooked in what I would call a
>> BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with these? Thanks Rosie

>Yes and quite popular in the South USA as well.

Very popular with Hispanics everywhere... I had a Puerto Rican
girlfriend years ago who cooked pork bellies for her family, they'd
suck it up like Dysons. I like them because they are not smoked like
bacon but would eat them rarely... downside is it's not a healthful
food, it's practically pure pork fat and if cooked until crispy as it
usually is it's a carcinogen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9

> Recipe posted in ABR already.

I don't think you got tinypic right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Sat, 27 May 2017 12:53:52 -0500, "cshenk" >
> > wrote:

> > as an >> appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a
> > slab od >> meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it
> > into little >> pieces and ate it. Was good, they were cooked in
> > what I would call a >> BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with
> > these? Thanks Rosie
> > >
> > > Yes and quite popular in the South USA as well.

> > Very popular with Hispanics everywhere... I had a Puerto Rican
> > girlfriend years ago who cooked pork bellies for her family, they'd
> > suck it up like Dysons. I like them because they are not smoked
> > like bacon but would eat them rarely... downside is it's not a
> > healthful food, it's practically pure pork fat and if cooked until
> > crispy as it usually is it's a carcinogen.

> I don't know as it's a carcinogen but it's very fatty and a rare
> delicacy for most folks.
>
> When I lived in Florida, I had it at friends houses (Miami) then later
> in South Carolina, seemed everywhere (not just African American
> friends).
>
> Meantime, here's today's bread. I have a second picture but want to
> see if I got tinypic right.

http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9

> Recipe posted in ABR already.

Second try
http://i63.tinypic.com/2ngh9qd.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/27/2017 12:36 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >>an >> appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a
> >>slab od >> meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it
> >>into little >> pieces and ate it. Was good, they were cooked in

> what >>I would call a >> BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with
> these?
> > > Thanks Rosie

> > > Very popular with Hispanics everywhere... I had a Puerto Rican
> > > girlfriend years ago who cooked pork bellies for her family,
> > > they'd suck it up like Dysons. I like them because they are not
> > > smoked like bacon but would eat them rarely... downside is it's
> > > not a healthful food, it's practically pure pork fat and if
> > > cooked until crispy as it usually is it's a carcinogen.

> > I don't know as it's a carcinogen but it's very fatty and a rare
> > delicacy for most folks.
> >
> > When I lived in Florida, I had it at friends houses (Miami) then
> > later in South Carolina, seemed everywhere (not just African
> > American friends).
> >
> > Meantime, here's today's bread. I have a second picture but want to
> > see if I got tinypic right.

http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9

> > Recipe posted in ABR already.
> >

> I don't think you got tinypic right.

LOL, no I didnt. Trying again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 7:54:00 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> rosie wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On a recent trip to Hawaii, there were Pork Bellies on the menu as an
> > appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a slab od
> > meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it into little
> > pieces and ate it. Was good, they were cooked in what I would call a
> > BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with these? Thanks Rosie

> Hi Rosie,
>
> Yes and quite popular in the South USA as well.
>
> --

We, that is correct. Some people in San Diego will claim that they are the most South Western state in the union. That would be true except for one small detail - us.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/27/2017 12:36 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >>an >> appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a
> >>slab od >> meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it
> >>into little >> pieces and ate it. Was good, they were cooked in

> what >>I would call a >> BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with
> these?
> > > Thanks Rosie

> > > Very popular with Hispanics everywhere... I had a Puerto Rican
> > > girlfriend years ago who cooked pork bellies for her family,
> > > they'd suck it up like Dysons. I like them because they are not
> > > smoked like bacon but would eat them rarely... downside is it's
> > > not a healthful food, it's practically pure pork fat and if
> > > cooked until crispy as it usually is it's a carcinogen.

> > I don't know as it's a carcinogen but it's very fatty and a rare
> > delicacy for most folks.
> >
> > When I lived in Florida, I had it at friends houses (Miami) then
> > later in South Carolina, seemed everywhere (not just African
> > American friends).
> >
> > Meantime, here's today's bread. I have a second picture but want to
> > see if I got tinypic right.

http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9

> > Recipe posted in ABR already.
> >

> I don't think you got tinypic right.

Ah well. Photobucket has dis-stabilized so I'll poke at this and see
if it's a problem with my OS someplace.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote:

>> Meantime, here's today's bread. I have a second picture but want to
>> see if I got tinypic right.
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9
>>
>> Recipe posted in ABR already.

>Second try
>http://i63.tinypic.com/2ngh9qd.jpg

Still not working. I think Tinypic has been inoperative for a few
days now, I've been unable to get it to work lately, perhaps they're
updating?!?!?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2017 4:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> what >>I would call a >> BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with
>> these?

>>> I don't know as it's a carcinogen but it's very fatty and a rare
>>> delicacy for most folks.
>>>
>>> When I lived in Florida, I had it at friends houses (Miami) then
>>> later in South Carolina, seemed everywhere (not just African
>>> American friends).
>>>
>>> Meantime, here's today's bread. I have a second picture but want to
>>> see if I got tinypic right.

http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9

>>> Recipe posted in ABR already.
>>>

>> I don't think you got tinypic right.

> Ah well. Photobucket has dis-stabilized so I'll poke at this and see
> if it's a problem with my OS someplace.

This works for me
https://postimage.io/

Tinypic sucks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-27 3:50 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 7:54:00 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> rosie wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> On a recent trip to Hawaii, there were Pork Bellies on the menu as an
>>> appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a slab od
>>> meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it into little
>>> pieces and ate it. Was good, they were cooked in what I would call a
>>> BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with these? Thanks Rosie

>> Hi Rosie,
>>
>> Yes and quite popular in the South USA as well.
>>
>> --

> We, that is correct. Some people in San Diego will claim that they are the most South Western state in the union. That would be true except for one small detail - us.

They don't think of Hawaii as a southwestern state. It is a Pacific
state. It's 2500 miles from California.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 17:03:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/27/2017 4:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> what >>I would call a >> BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with
>>> these?

http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9

>>> I don't think you got tinypic right.

>> Ah well. Photobucket has dis-stabilized so I'll poke at this and see
>> if it's a problem with my OS someplace.
>>

>This works for me
>https://postimage.io/
>
>Tinypic sucks.

Quite - I have used postimage since (I think) Jeßus pointed it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 2:36:20 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> Meantime, here's today's bread. I have a second picture but want to
> see if I got tinypic right.
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9

No picture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/27/2017 4:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Taxed and Spent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >>what >>I would call a >> BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with
> > > these?

http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9

> > > I don't think you got tinypic right.

> > Ah well. Photobucket has dis-stabilized so I'll poke at this and
> > see if it's a problem with my OS someplace.
> >

> This works for me
> https://postimage.io/
>
> Tinypic sucks.

https://postimg.org/image/4rgtldyl1/

Works?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote:
> >>
> >> Meantime, here's today's bread. I have a second picture but want

> to >> see if I got tinypic right.

http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9

> >> Recipe posted in ABR already.

> > Second try
> > http://i63.tinypic.com/2ngh9qd.jpg

> Still not working. I think Tinypic has been inoperative for a few
> days now, I've been unable to get it to work lately, perhaps they're
> updating?!?!?

Dunno. I just tried another type. It's not that my bread is that
exciting, but that it's not posting.

https://postimg.org/image/4rgtldyl1/

Lets hope that works

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2017 8:02 PM, cshenk wrote:

> https://postimg.org/image/4rgtldyl1/
>
> Works?

I certainly saw a loaf of bread.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/27/2017 8:02 PM, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > https://postimg.org/image/4rgtldyl1/
> >
> > Works?
> >

> I certainly saw a loaf of bread.
>
> Jill

Thanks! Wasn't that fancy but ittitating that it wouldn't post. Thats
a spelt bread with cheese and honey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-28, cshenk > wrote:

> Thanks! Wasn't that fancy but ittitating that it wouldn't post. Thats
> a spelt bread with cheese and honey.

HOw much of those ingredients are laced with a boatload of
anitbiotics?

I can't even get my local health food store (HFS) to tell me if their
"bulk" honey is supported by antibiotics. Something to consider.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 May 2017 01:03:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-05-28, cshenk > wrote:
>
>> Thanks! Wasn't that fancy but ittitating that it wouldn't post. Thats
>> a spelt bread with cheese and honey.

>HOw much of those ingredients are laced with a boatload of
>anitbiotics?
>
>I can't even get my local health food store (HFS) to tell me if their
>"bulk" honey is supported by antibiotics. Something to consider.

Ask them if there's plastic in their honey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 19:02:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 5/27/2017 4:44 PM, cshenk wrote:

>> > Ah well. Photobucket has dis-stabilized so I'll poke at this and
>> > see if it's a problem with my OS someplace.
>> >

>> This works for me
>> https://postimage.io/
>>
>> Tinypic sucks.

>https://postimg.org/image/4rgtldyl1/
>
>Works?

Nice loaf. By the way, do you see the added value of spelt instead of
wheat? (I don't.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 12:50:02 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 7:54:00 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> rosie wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > On a recent trip to Hawaii, there were Pork Bellies on the menu as an
>> > appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a slab od
>> > meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it into little
>> > pieces and ate it. Was good, they were cooked in what I would call a
>> > BarBQue sauce. Is any one familier with these? Thanks Rosie

>> Hi Rosie,
>>
>> Yes and quite popular in the South USA as well.
>>
>> --

>We, that is correct. Some people in San Diego will claim that they are the most South Western state in the union. That would be true except for one small detail - us.

I'd say you're the most eastern state.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 19:02:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9

>> > Ah well. Photobucket has dis-stabilized so I'll poke at this and
>> > see if it's a problem with my OS someplace.
>> >

>> This works for me
>> https://postimage.io/
>>
>> Tinypic sucks.

>https://postimg.org/image/4rgtldyl1/
>
>Works?

Nice loaf, but kinda looks like a flacid penis on top. hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2017 8:57 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 5/27/2017 8:02 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>>
>>> https://postimg.org/image/4rgtldyl1/
>>>
>>> Works?
>>>

>> I certainly saw a loaf of bread.
>>
>> Jill

> Thanks! Wasn't that fancy but ittitating that it wouldn't post. Thats
> a spelt bread with cheese and honey.

Give up on tiny pic. I don't know what's going on with tiny pic now. I
gave up on that site when even with ad blockers it was bombarding me.

So far, postimage.org hasn't been taken over by some mass media thing.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2017 8:57 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 5/27/2017 8:02 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>>
>>> https://postimg.org/image/4rgtldyl1/
>>>
>>> Works?
>>>

>> I certainly saw a loaf of bread.
>>
>> Jill

> Thanks! Wasn't that fancy but ittitating that it wouldn't post. Thats
> a spelt bread with cheese and honey.

Sounds good and looks good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
On a recent trip to Hawaii, there were Pork Bellies on the menu as an
appetizer, I ordered them as it looked interesting. I was a slab od meat,
not unlike bacon that was not sliced, you cut it into little pieces and ate
it. Was good, they were cooked in what I would call a BarBQue sauce. Is any
one familier with these?
Thanks Rosie

===

Yes, I bought some at Costco last week.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 11:51:32 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-27 3:50 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Hi Rosie,
> >>
> >> Yes and quite popular in the South USA as well.
> >>
> >> --

> > We, that is correct. Some people in San Diego will claim that they are the most South Western state in the union. That would be true except for one small detail - us.
> >

> They don't think of Hawaii as a southwestern state. It is a Pacific
> state. It's 2500 miles from California.

Mostly it depends on whether you want to consider Hawaii to be a part of the United States. Culturally, we're miles apart from those confederate states of the 1860's i.e., we don't have a history of lynching colored folks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 3:20:46 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2017 12:50:02 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1ahoo.com>
> wrote:

> >> Hi Rosie,
> >>
> >> Yes and quite popular in the South USA as well.
> >>
> >> --

> >We, that is correct. Some people in San Diego will claim that they are the most South Western state in the union. That would be true except for one small detail - us.

> I'd say you're the most eastern state.

That's probably a good thing. I get this feeling that America has jumped the shark and is now the new old world. Asia will be the new new world.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-05-28, cshenk > wrote:
>
> > Thanks! Wasn't that fancy but ittitating that it wouldn't post.
> > Thats a spelt bread with cheese and honey.

> HOw much of those ingredients are laced with a boatload of
> anitbiotics?
>
> I can't even get my local health food store (HFS) to tell me if their
> "bulk" honey is supported by antibiotics. Something to consider.
>
> nb

Probably none?

Here's the recipe I used for that one. Posted on a yahoo breadmachine
group.

------
Sometimes I just LIKE the same bread all the time, or ones really close
to it, but now and again, we all have to break the mold (do something
else for non USA-folks here).

I just loaded the machine with a mix of spelt and better for bread
flour, added a salty cheese, Ajowan seeds, and honey powder. I do not
know if this will work well yet.

1 1/3 cups milk
1/3 cup water
2 tb buttermilk powder
4 cups flour mix (close to 50/50 spelt and better for bread)
1/4 cup salty cheese
1/4- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
2 tb butter
1 tb sugar
2 tb honey powder
1 ts salt
2 ts yeast
2 ts (estimated) Ajowan seeds

Rest of you making breads for the weekend? Tell me what if so!

Carol

--

The honey powder is an organic product from Savory Spice shop. The only
other 'organic' in there is the spelt flour that I am sure of.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 28 May 2017 01:03:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2017-05-28, cshenk > wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks! Wasn't that fancy but ittitating that it wouldn't post.

> Thats >> a spelt bread with cheese and honey.
> >
> > HOw much of those ingredients are laced with a boatload of
> > anitbiotics?
> >
> > I can't even get my local health food store (HFS) to tell me if
> > their "bulk" honey is supported by antibiotics. Something to
> > consider.

> Ask them if there's plastic in their honey.

Wasn't there a recall on that a bit ago? Anyways, this one is a
powdered product.

Oh, my bad. I thought it said organic but it doesn't.

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/spices/honeypdr.html

Thats ok. I'm not super into organics. The spelt is organic because
they don't sell any versions that aren't around here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/27/2017 8:57 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I certainly saw a loaf of bread.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > Thanks! Wasn't that fancy but ittitating that it wouldn't post.
> > Thats a spelt bread with cheese and honey.
> >

> Sounds good and looks good.

Thanks! We gave half of it to our friend Matt, still hot from the oven.

Spelt flour adds a unique depth and slightly nutty with 'something
else' to a loaf. It also tends to be a denser chewy texture. Very
nice for a change of pace from the standard whites.

That particular recipe (just posted) was a new one so I wasn't sure if
it would work but it did. Today I'm planning to replicate it and try
something Janet suggested with a lower temp at baking but this one was
at my normal 400F. She says I'll get more rise with a lower longer
temp. I'm not sure I want more rise with this one, but it will be
interesting to try it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 27 May 2017 19:02:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> This works for me
> >> https://postimage.io/
> >>
> >> Tinypic sucks.

> > https://postimg.org/image/4rgtldyl1/
> >
> > Works?

> Nice loaf. By the way, do you see the added value of spelt instead of
> wheat? (I don't.)

It's mostly something I like for the taste and texture. Spelt is
actually a true wheat, just an older version with a lower yield than
the modern ones. It's coming back now as some with wheat issues (not
celiac, more the milder 'antipathy') are finding it doesn't seem to
cause the same issues. It has enough gluten to rise, and this loaf was
a 50/50 anyways, but it seems to be the spelt gluten is just different
enough, some work with it better.

I'm getting it for flavor though, and something new to play with in the
kitchen ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> the >> > > > > > > menu as

> was a >> >>>>slab od >> meat, not unlike bacon that was not sliced,
> you cut it >> >>>>into little >> pieces and ate it. Was good, they
> were cooked in >> >>what >>I would call a >> BarBQue sauce. Is any
> one familier with >> > > these?

> pure >> > > > > pork fat and if cooked until crispy as it usually is
> it's a >> > > > > carcinogen.

> rare >> > > > delicacy for most folks.

> then >> > > > later in South Carolina, seemed everywhere (not just
> African >> > > > American friends).

http://tinypic.com/r/2pze7w5/9

> >> This works for me
> >> https://postimage.io/
> >>
> >> Tinypic sucks.

> > https://postimg.org/image/4rgtldyl1/
> >
> > Works?

> Nice loaf, but kinda looks like a flacid penis on top. hehe

LOL! I thought it looked more likke the face of one of the 7 dwarves.
You can see the sketchy eyes and many it's Sneezy because one looks
squinted in a sneeze.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 07:12:37 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> Thats >> a spelt bread with cheese and honey.
>> >
>> > HOw much of those ingredients are laced with a boatload of
>> > anitbiotics?
>> >
>> > I can't even get my local health food store (HFS) to tell me if
>> > their "bulk" honey is supported by antibiotics. Something to
>> > consider.

>> Ask them if there's plastic in their honey.

>Wasn't there a recall on that a bit ago? Anyways, this one is a
>powdered product.

I saw an item about European honey. It tends to have microscopic bits
of plastic in it because of all the plastic in the environment. I
don't know if this is worldwide. It sounded bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 07:23:03 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Sat, 27 May 2017 19:02:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>> > https://postimg.org/image/4rgtldyl1/
>> >
>> > Works?

>> Nice loaf. By the way, do you see the added value of spelt instead of
>> wheat? (I don't.)

>It's mostly something I like for the taste and texture. Spelt is
>actually a true wheat, just an older version with a lower yield than
>the modern ones. It's coming back now as some with wheat issues (not
>celiac, more the milder 'antipathy') are finding it doesn't seem to
>cause the same issues. It has enough gluten to rise, and this loaf was
>a 50/50 anyways, but it seems to be the spelt gluten is just different
>enough, some work with it better.
>
>I'm getting it for flavor though, and something new to play with in the
>kitchen ;-)

I've experimented a bit with it in the past. To me, 100% spelt tasted
the same as normal wheat, just rose a bit less well and was 5 times
more expensive. Maybe I have to try it again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 28 May 2017 07:12:37 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Thats >> a spelt bread with cheese and honey.

> >> Ask them if there's plastic in their honey.

> > Wasn't there a recall on that a bit ago? Anyways, this one is a
> > powdered product.

> I saw an item about European honey. It tends to have microscopic bits
> of plastic in it because of all the plastic in the environment. I
> don't know if this is worldwide. It sounded bad.

It does indeed. Meantime we are making efforts to reduce our plastic
uses. We aren't perfect at it, but taken it down a good notch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 28 May 2017 07:23:03 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Nice loaf. By the way, do you see the added value of spelt instead

> of >> wheat? (I don't.)
> >
> > It's mostly something I like for the taste and texture. Spelt is
> > actually a true wheat, just an older version with a lower yield than
> > the modern ones. It's coming back now as some with wheat issues
> > (not celiac, more the milder 'antipathy') are finding it doesn't
> > seem to cause the same issues. It has enough gluten to rise, and
> > this loaf was a 50/50 anyways, but it seems to be the spelt gluten
> > is just different enough, some work with it better.
> >
> > I'm getting it for flavor though, and something new to play with in
> > the kitchen ;-)

> I've experimented a bit with it in the past. To me, 100% spelt tasted
> the same as normal wheat, just rose a bit less well and was 5 times
> more expensive. Maybe I have to try it again.

Well, I made the second loaf identical but a lower temp. I must be
doing something different as it rose less (but still acceptable). I
may have used less Spelt as it didnt have the same level of taste. I
doubt the lower temp made a difference there.