Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I really I give up now

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> So many friends of mine have died in the last few years, including my own
> DaD a couple of months ago.,
>
> Now it's all over for me. Now, I do give up. Girl that I accidently fell
> in love with 21 years ago, died way too young yesterday morning.
>
> I haven't dated anyone in all those years as I knew if she showed up
> professing her love, I would drop anyone to be with her. In all of those
> years, I've thought of her every day.
>
> I should have said something all those years ago but it wasn't politically
> correct. We really did connect but.... I was always waiting for her to
> make the first move and I suspect she was doing the same.
>
> Now she's gone and I'll always regret not giving it a shot. We could have
> enjoyed 20 years together. And even that we didn't, I so wish I could have
> been there with her yesterday morning holding her hand as she died and
> maybe even telling her how I felt all those years.
>
> Tears in eyes now just writing that. I can say this from experience now...
> the hardest thing to do (or not to do) is to be truly in love with someone
> and not ever be able to tell them that.
>
> I hope I'll do something right in my next life.
>
> Go ahead and joke me now. heheh But do have some sympathy.

I'm going out on a limb here becausae I make it a point not to get too
involved unless you have four legs and are covered in fur, but what I will
say is that now two souls are free. Her soul is at rest. Now yours has the
chance to move on and find happiness free of what held you back all these
years. I say chance because it is up to you.

One day, if you haven't, you might read W. Somerset Maugham's book "Of Human
Bondage." Life's regrets become more intense as we age. The greatest
peace anyone can ever find, is accepting what life has given them. And by
god, it is anything but fair.

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might
have been!'" Not too late to try something different.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 3:12:21 PM UTC-10, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
> news
> > So many friends of mine have died in the last few years, including my own
> > DaD a couple of months ago.,
> >
> > Now it's all over for me. Now, I do give up. Girl that I accidently fell
> > in love with 21 years ago, died way too young yesterday morning.
> >
> > I haven't dated anyone in all those years as I knew if she showed up
> > professing her love, I would drop anyone to be with her. In all of those
> > years, I've thought of her every day.
> >
> > I should have said something all those years ago but it wasn't politically
> > correct. We really did connect but.... I was always waiting for her to
> > make the first move and I suspect she was doing the same.
> >
> > Now she's gone and I'll always regret not giving it a shot. We could have
> > enjoyed 20 years together. And even that we didn't, I so wish I could have
> > been there with her yesterday morning holding her hand as she died and
> > maybe even telling her how I felt all those years.
> >
> > Tears in eyes now just writing that. I can say this from experience now....
> > the hardest thing to do (or not to do) is to be truly in love with someone
> > and not ever be able to tell them that.
> >
> > I hope I'll do something right in my next life.
> >
> > Go ahead and joke me now. heheh But do have some sympathy.

> I'm going out on a limb here becausae I make it a point not to get too
> involved unless you have four legs and are covered in fur, but what I will
> say is that now two souls are free. Her soul is at rest. Now yours has the
> chance to move on and find happiness free of what held you back all these
> years. I say chance because it is up to you.
>
> One day, if you haven't, you might read W. Somerset Maugham's book "Of Human
> Bondage." Life's regrets become more intense as we age. The greatest
> peace anyone can ever find, is accepting what life has given them. And by
> god, it is anything but fair.
>
> "For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might
> have been!'" Not too late to try something different.
>

> ---

I'm lucky because I understood the principle of not living a life of regret early on. We should live our lives as if we are going to die tomorrow because the awful truth is that we might die tomorrow. We have to treat others that we care about as if they could vanish into thin air at any time because they just might do that. I can tell there are a few people here that are living a life of regret. It makes one cranky, ornery, and mournful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message news

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> So many friends of mine have died in the last few years, including my own
> DaD a couple of months ago.,
>
> Now it's all over for me. Now, I do give up. Girl that I accidently fell
> in love with 21 years ago, died way too young yesterday morning.
>
> I haven't dated anyone in all those years as I knew if she showed up
> professing her love, I would drop anyone to be with her. In all of those
> years, I've thought of her every day.
>
> I should have said something all those years ago but it wasn't politically
> correct. We really did connect but.... I was always waiting for her to
> make the first move and I suspect she was doing the same.
>
> Now she's gone and I'll always regret not giving it a shot. We could have
> enjoyed 20 years together. And even that we didn't, I so wish I could have
> been there with her yesterday morning holding her hand as she died and
> maybe even telling her how I felt all those years.
>
> Tears in eyes now just writing that. I can say this from experience now...
> the hardest thing to do (or not to do) is to be truly in love with someone
> and not ever be able to tell them that.
>
> I hope I'll do something right in my next life.
>
> Go ahead and joke me now. heheh But do have some sympathy.

I'm going out on a limb here becausae I make it a point not to get too
involved unless you have four legs and are covered in fur, but what I will
say is that now two souls are free. Her soul is at rest. Now yours has the
chance to move on and find happiness free of what held you back all these
years. I say chance because it is up to you.

One day, if you haven't, you might read W. Somerset Maugham's book "Of Human
Bondage." Life's regrets become more intense as we age. The greatest
peace anyone can ever find, is accepting what life has given them. And by
god, it is anything but fair.

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might
have been!'" Not too late to try something different.

==

Paul, that is lovely.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2017 3:33 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" wrote in message news

> I'm going out on a limb here becausae I make it a point not to get too
> involved unless you have four legs and are covered in fur, but what I will
> say is that now two souls are free. Her soul is at rest. Now yours has
> the
> chance to move on and find happiness free of what held you back all these
> years. I say chance because it is up to you.
>
> One day, if you haven't, you might read W. Somerset Maugham's book "Of
> Human
> Bondage." Life's regrets become more intense as we age. The greatest
> peace anyone can ever find, is accepting what life has given them. And by
> god, it is anything but fair.
>
> "For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might
> have been!'" Not too late to try something different.
>
> ==
>
> Paul, that is lovely.

I thought so, too, and started to say something along those lines
last night.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2017 12:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> I'm lucky because I understood the principle of not living a life of regret early on. We should live our lives as if we are going to die tomorrow because the awful truth is that we might die tomorrow. We have to treat others that we care about as if they could vanish into thin air at any time because they just might do that.

So very true. Many of us don't think of those things in our younger
days when we can take full advantage of living a life of no regrets.

Often, when you get older doors close as sore joints and health factors
make some activities difficult or impossible. Take a good look at your
priorities. Realize that "things" are far less important than people in
your life. Visit those people now, not when they are in a box and don't
know you are there. Take that dream vacation you've talked about for
years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-21 11:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/21/2017 12:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> I'm lucky because I understood the principle of not living a life of
>> regret early on. We should live our lives as if we are going to die
>> tomorrow because the awful truth is that we might die tomorrow. We
>> have to treat others that we care about as if they could vanish into
>> thin air at any time because they just might do that.

> So very true. Many of us don't think of those things in our younger
> days when we can take full advantage of living a life of no regrets.
>
> Often, when you get older doors close as sore joints and health factors
> make some activities difficult or impossible. Take a good look at your
> priorities. Realize that "things" are far less important than people in
> your life. Visit those people now, not when they are in a box and don't
> know you are there. Take that dream vacation you've talked about for
> years.

There are probably things I should have done growing up, maybe some
things I should not have done, but I have no regrets. I can look at
pictures from my youth and there are no bizarre haircuts, not piercings,
no tattoos. There were no pregnant girlfriends, no arrests, no serious
car accidents.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2017 11:59 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-21 11:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 5/21/2017 12:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>>> I'm lucky because I understood the principle of not living a life of
>>> regret early on. We should live our lives as if we are going to die
>>> tomorrow because the awful truth is that we might die tomorrow. We
>>> have to treat others that we care about as if they could vanish into
>>> thin air at any time because they just might do that.

>> So very true. Many of us don't think of those things in our younger
>> days when we can take full advantage of living a life of no regrets.
>>
>> Often, when you get older doors close as sore joints and health factors
>> make some activities difficult or impossible. Take a good look at your
>> priorities. Realize that "things" are far less important than people in
>> your life. Visit those people now, not when they are in a box and don't
>> know you are there. Take that dream vacation you've talked about for
>> years.

> There are probably things I should have done growing up, maybe some
> things I should not have done, but I have no regrets. I can look at
> pictures from my youth and there are no bizarre haircuts, not piercings,
> no tattoos. There were no pregnant girlfriends, no arrests, no serious
> car accidents.

IMO, all of that is a good thing. I cannot think of a single thing I'd
ever want tattooed on my body. I'm not against tattoes, just don't see
the need. My body cme with enough holes to function, so sense adding
more especially some of the odd places.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 6:20:55 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/21/2017 11:59 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> So very true. Many of us don't think of those things in our younger
> >> days when we can take full advantage of living a life of no regrets.
> >>
> >> Often, when you get older doors close as sore joints and health factors
> >> make some activities difficult or impossible. Take a good look at your
> >> priorities. Realize that "things" are far less important than people in
> >> your life. Visit those people now, not when they are in a box and don't
> >> know you are there. Take that dream vacation you've talked about for
> >> years.

> > There are probably things I should have done growing up, maybe some
> > things I should not have done, but I have no regrets. I can look at
> > pictures from my youth and there are no bizarre haircuts, not piercings,
> > no tattoos. There were no pregnant girlfriends, no arrests, no serious
> > car accidents.
> >

> IMO, all of that is a good thing. I cannot think of a single thing I'd
> ever want tattooed on my body. I'm not against tattoes, just don't see
> the need. My body cme with enough holes to function, so sense adding
> more especially some of the odd places.

Some cultures believe that it protects the wearer or see it as a mark of power or affiliation with a group. You grew up in an era and culture where tattoos were frowned upon socially. Things are different in the new generation of Americans. Heck, my daughter wanted a tat when she was 12 years old. I suspect that, even today, the kids believe it gives them strength and empowers them in way that's similar to what the people of the Pacific islands believe.

My daughter's boyfriend has some tattoos. He and his mom and sister got one each as a memorial to his sister that killed herself. He's now managing a restaurant and has to cover/conceal the tat when he's working the floor. My daughter got a small tat - a small black ink one that's concealed by her ear in honor of his sister. She has several small ones that are somewhat discreet. The only one that's obvious on her body is one that she got for her mom and prominently displayed on her arm. It says "Strength." It's the only one she has that has a color element - a pink ribbon. I believe that, for the rest of her life, she will look at it and maybe she's touch it lightly and gently and she will remember her mom and that will be important to her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2017 10:20 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> IMO, all of that is a good thing. I cannot think of a single thing I'd
>> ever want tattooed on my body. I'm not against tattoes, just don't see
>> the need. My body cme with enough holes to function, so sense adding
>> more especially some of the odd places.

> Some cultures believe that it protects the wearer or see it as a mark of power or affiliation with a group. You grew up in an era and culture where tattoos were frowned upon socially. Things are different in the new generation of Americans. Heck, my daughter wanted a tat when she was 12 years old. I suspect that, even today, the kids believe it gives them strength and empowers them in way that's similar to what the people of the Pacific islands believe.
>
> My daughter's boyfriend has some tattoos. He and his mom and sister got one each as a memorial to his sister that killed herself. He's now managing a restaurant and has to cover/conceal the tat when he's working the floor. My daughter got a small tat - a small black ink one that's concealed by her ear in honor of his sister. She has several small ones that are somewhat discreet. The only one that's obvious on her body is one that she got for her mom and prominently displayed on her arm. It says "Strength." It's the only one she has that has a color element - a pink ribbon. I believe that, for the rest of her life, she will look at it and maybe she's touch it lightly and gently and she will remember her mom and that will be important to her.

I can understand the pink ribbon. My son has the logo of his favorite
hockey team. To me, it makes no sense to have a permanent mark for
something that may be temporary. Allegiances can change.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-21 8:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/21/2017 10:20 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>>> IMO, all of that is a good thing. I cannot think of a single thing I'd
>>> ever want tattooed on my body. I'm not against tattoes, just don't see
>>> the need. My body cme with enough holes to function, so sense adding
>>> more especially some of the odd places.

>> Some cultures believe that it protects the wearer or see it as a mark
>> of power or affiliation with a group. You grew up in an era and
>> culture where tattoos were frowned upon socially. Things are different
>> in the new generation of Americans. Heck, my daughter wanted a tat
>> when she was 12 years old. I suspect that, even today, the kids
>> believe it gives them strength and empowers them in way that's similar
>> to what the people of the Pacific islands believe.
>>
>> My daughter's boyfriend has some tattoos. He and his mom and sister
>> got one each as a memorial to his sister that killed herself. He's now
>> managing a restaurant and has to cover/conceal the tat when he's
>> working the floor. My daughter got a small tat - a small black ink one
>> that's concealed by her ear in honor of his sister. She has several
>> small ones that are somewhat discreet. The only one that's obvious on
>> her body is one that she got for her mom and prominently displayed on
>> her arm. It says "Strength." It's the only one she has that has a
>> color element - a pink ribbon. I believe that, for the rest of her
>> life, she will look at it and maybe she's touch it lightly and gently
>> and she will remember her mom and that will be important to her.
>>

> I can understand the pink ribbon. My son has the logo of his favorite
> hockey team. To me, it makes no sense to have a permanent mark for
> something that may be temporary. Allegiances can change.

I don't understand why people mutilate themselves!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 May 2017 20:58:14 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2017-05-21 8:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I can understand the pink ribbon. My son has the logo of his favorite
>> hockey team. To me, it makes no sense to have a permanent mark for
>> something that may be temporary. Allegiances can change.

>I don't understand why people mutilate themselves!
>Graham

It's a generational thing. People over a certain age don't need to
explain that they hate tats. Everybody already knows that. Just like
they don't like trance music.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 May 2017 20:58:14 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>>On 2017-05-21 8:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> I can understand the pink ribbon. My son has the logo of his favorite
>>> hockey team. To me, it makes no sense to have a permanent mark for
>>> something that may be temporary. Allegiances can change.

>>I don't understand why people mutilate themselves!
>>Graham

> It's a generational thing. People over a certain age don't need to
> explain that they hate tats. Everybody already knows that. Just like
> they don't like trance music.

A lot of the older generation who served in the military have tattoos, and
the tattoos don't look very attractive many years later with the fading etc.
I imagine those that have tattooed big chunks of their bodies will regret it
in years to come, but I could be wrong. I have a small tattoo, but it
doesn't show, and quite frankly it was painful.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 4:35:44 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I can understand the pink ribbon. My son has the logo of his favorite
> hockey team. To me, it makes no sense to have a permanent mark for
> something that may be temporary. Allegiances can change.

What you say makes sense however, a mom is not a favorite hockey team, girlfriend, or pet. Well, the last time I looked, it wasn't anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 May 2017 22:28:51 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>I don't understand why people mutilate themselves!
>>>Graham

>> It's a generational thing. People over a certain age don't need to
>> explain that they hate tats. Everybody already knows that. Just like
>> they don't like trance music.

>A lot of the older generation who served in the military have tattoos, and
>the tattoos don't look very attractive many years later with the fading etc.
>I imagine those that have tattooed big chunks of their bodies will regret it
>in years to come, but I could be wrong. I have a small tattoo, but it
>doesn't show, and quite frankly it was painful.

But it was never as popular as nowadays. Personally, I hate them too,
unless they're really small.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 7:29:21 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message

> >>I don't understand why people mutilate themselves!
> >>Graham

> > It's a generational thing. People over a certain age don't need to
> > explain that they hate tats. Everybody already knows that. Just like
> > they don't like trance music.

> A lot of the older generation who served in the military have tattoos, and
> the tattoos don't look very attractive many years later with the fading etc.
> I imagine those that have tattooed big chunks of their bodies will regret it
> in years to come, but I could be wrong. I have a small tattoo, but it
> doesn't show, and quite frankly it was painful.
>
> Cheri

If getting a tattoo was painless, it wouldn't have any mana at all. It wouldn't offer any protection for the wearer, nor would it qualify as a rite of passage into manhood. It would just be pretty pictures and lame.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 May 2017 00:03:43 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 7:29:21 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

>> > It's a generational thing. People over a certain age don't need to
>> > explain that they hate tats. Everybody already knows that. Just like
>> > they don't like trance music.

>> A lot of the older generation who served in the military have tattoos, and
>> the tattoos don't look very attractive many years later with the fading etc.
>> I imagine those that have tattooed big chunks of their bodies will regret it
>> in years to come, but I could be wrong. I have a small tattoo, but it
>> doesn't show, and quite frankly it was painful.
>>
>> Cheri

>If getting a tattoo was painless, it wouldn't have any mana at all. It wouldn't offer any protection for the wearer, nor would it qualify as a rite of passage into manhood. It would just be pretty pictures and lame.

It still is. Well, I don't know about pretty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-22 3:03 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 7:29:21 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

>> A lot of the older generation who served in the military have tattoos, and
>> the tattoos don't look very attractive many years later with the fading etc.
>> I imagine those that have tattooed big chunks of their bodies will regret it
>> in years to come, but I could be wrong. I have a small tattoo, but it
>> doesn't show, and quite frankly it was painful.
>>
>> Cheri

> If getting a tattoo was painless, it wouldn't have any mana at all. It wouldn't offer any protection for the wearer, nor would it qualify as a rite of passage into manhood. It would just be pretty pictures and lame.

I can't think of any good reasons to get tattoos. To have one to
commemorate the loss of a loved one is the height of tackiness. You
should be able to remember the person without having their name on your
arm or foot. It is hardly a matter of artistic expression when you
select your design from a book of stencils that are then traced by the
"artist". I don't think they are attractive when they are fresh, and I
have seen how they fade with time.

One day last week I saw a young woman walking down the street with a
tank top to expose way too much of her tattooed flesh. I thought to
myself that she could have done a lot more to make herself more
attractive if she had spent the money on a gym membership and worked on
getting rid of her lunch lady arms because tats look really weird when
they are fluttering from the movement of walking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 May 2017 22:28:51 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> It's a generational thing. People over a certain age don't need to
>>> explain that they hate tats. Everybody already knows that. Just like
>>> they don't like trance music.

>>A lot of the older generation who served in the military have tattoos, and
>>the tattoos don't look very attractive many years later with the fading
>>etc.
>>I imagine those that have tattooed big chunks of their bodies will regret
>>it
>>in years to come, but I could be wrong. I have a small tattoo, but it
>>doesn't show, and quite frankly it was painful.

> But it was never as popular as nowadays. Personally, I hate them too,
> unless they're really small.

That's true, it is extremely popular these days where in the older days it
was mostly the military and gangs that got tattooed. My mom told my brothers
she didn't want to see tattoos on them when they came back from the service,
but they didn't listen. The brother that was in the Navy has several, and
they are mostly blue blobs now.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Sun 21 May 2017 11:29:14p, Bruce told us...
>
>> On Sun, 21 May 2017 22:28:51 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>A lot of the older generation who served in the military have
>>>tattoos, and the tattoos don't look very attractive many years
>>>later with the fading etc. I imagine those that have tattooed big
>>>chunks of their bodies will regret it in years to come, but I
>>>could be wrong. I have a small tattoo, but it doesn't show, and
>>>quite frankly it was painful.

>> But it was never as popular as nowadays. Personally, I hate them
>> too, unless they're really small.
>>

> I have six tattoos, although only two are visible unless I'm dressed
> for swimming. I was 48 when I got the tattoos and I'm now 72. They
> still look like new. Vintage tattoos from the Korean War and prior
> were generally not done in the US. Technique, equipment, and inks
> have changed considerably since then. It also makes a difference if
> you take care of your skin. I've had numerous compliments over the
> years from pretty much every generation, septuagenarians to teens.

Yes, I'm sure the inks, technique etc. are much better now. Mine is about 20
years old and not faded either.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote:

>I have a small tattoo, but it doesn't show, and quite frankly it was painful.

Where is it that it was painful? I have an octopus on my left
forearm and Tinkerbell on my right forearm, I have the entire sixth
fleet of tall sailing ships on my chest. There was no pain, after the
first 15 seconds the area numbs and you feel nothing but the machine
vibrating. They were done 55 years ago and still look fine, even the
colors are vibrant. I had a girl's name under Tinkerbell, but since
it didn't work out, a year later I had her name buried under
flowers... it's easy to alter tats, not so easy to remove.

There isn't any real pain involved with tattooing unless it's on a
sensitive body part... on fleshy body parts there's no more pain than
from a hypodermic in the butt, that pain is mostly imagined before the
fact.

There was a shipmate who had his penis tattooed like a barber pole, he
said that was painful, I believed him. That tat really wasn't
noticable when flaccid, unless you knew it was there you'd not notice.
He said the most difficult part of the procedure was that he had to
maintain an erection the entire time. He had it done in Japan, he
said a giesha assisted, she cost more than the tat. Afterwards he was
disappointed because it didn't rotate like a real barber pole but he
said he was able to convince the gals that if they were able to get
his motor going it would rotate inside them. LOL

I saw a lot of very strange tats in the navy.
I have nothing against tats, I have some myself... my only
recomendation is to think carefully about where one gets them, if they
can't be easily covered with clothing they could cost your becoming
employed at a job working with the public... even Walmart won't hire
you to stock shelves with neck tats. And tats are not just for young
folks, I know several middle aged people and recent retirees who
decided to get their first few tats. I think a lot of people wanted
to get tats when they were young but for whatever reasons kept putting
it off, and then one day later in life decided to fulfill their desire
before it was too late. It's mostly middle aged women who get their
first tats.
At my age I have no desire to get more but never say never.
I think Gary needs a tat of his ferret.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote:
>>
>>I have a small tattoo, but it doesn't show, and quite frankly it was
>>painful.

> Where is it that it was painful? I have an octopus on my left
> forearm and Tinkerbell on my right forearm, I have the entire sixth
> fleet of tall sailing ships on my chest. There was no pain, after the

It's low enough to be covered in the chest area, and it was painful, a small
half moon and stars, not something I would want to have done bigger...ever.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 3:30:44 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-22 3:03 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 7:29:21 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

> >> A lot of the older generation who served in the military have tattoos, and
> >> the tattoos don't look very attractive many years later with the fading etc.
> >> I imagine those that have tattooed big chunks of their bodies will regret it
> >> in years to come, but I could be wrong. I have a small tattoo, but it
> >> doesn't show, and quite frankly it was painful.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > If getting a tattoo was painless, it wouldn't have any mana at all. It wouldn't offer any protection for the wearer, nor would it qualify as a rite of passage into manhood. It would just be pretty pictures and lame.

> I can't think of any good reasons to get tattoos. To have one to
> commemorate the loss of a loved one is the height of tackiness. You
> should be able to remember the person without having their name on your
> arm or foot. It is hardly a matter of artistic expression when you
> select your design from a book of stencils that are then traced by the
> "artist". I don't think they are attractive when they are fresh, and I
> have seen how they fade with time.
>
> One day last week I saw a young woman walking down the street with a
> tank top to expose way too much of her tattooed flesh. I thought to
> myself that she could have done a lot more to make herself more
> attractive if she had spent the money on a gym membership and worked on
> getting rid of her lunch lady arms because tats look really weird when
> they are fluttering from the movement of walking.

I understand your point of view. I also can see other people's points of view. It's my super-power.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-22 4:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 3:30:44 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> One day last week I saw a young woman walking down the street with a
>> tank top to expose way too much of her tattooed flesh. I thought to
>> myself that she could have done a lot more to make herself more
>> attractive if she had spent the money on a gym membership and worked on
>> getting rid of her lunch lady arms because tats look really weird when
>> they are fluttering from the movement of walking.

> I understand your point of view. I also can see other people's points of view. It's my super-power.

My superpower is the ability to look at a tattoo and not to think I wish
I had a tat like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 11:09:57 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-22 4:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 3:30:44 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> One day last week I saw a young woman walking down the street with a
> >> tank top to expose way too much of her tattooed flesh. I thought to
> >> myself that she could have done a lot more to make herself more
> >> attractive if she had spent the money on a gym membership and worked on
> >> getting rid of her lunch lady arms because tats look really weird when
> >> they are fluttering from the movement of walking.

> > I understand your point of view. I also can see other people's points of view. It's my super-power.
> >

> My superpower is the ability to look at a tattoo and not to think I wish
> I had a tat like that.

I've had that superpower since I was 7 years old.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>I can't think of any good reasons to get tattoos. To have one to
>commemorate the loss of a loved one is the height of tackiness. You
>should be able to remember the person without having their name on your
>arm or foot.

There you go thinking for others again... makes as much if not more
sense than spending many thousand$ on a funeral with a cemetary plot
and a fancy head stone... then driving away and likely never see it
again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2017 6:31 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> makes as much if not more
>> sense than spending many thousand$ on a funeral with a cemetary plot
>> and a fancy head stone... then driving away and likely never see it
>> again.

> True. My wife makes a pilgrimage to Toronto every November to lay a
> wreath at the family plot where her grandparents, parents, brother,
> cousin and aunt are buried. She always tries to get her relatives there
> to join her. Most of them live in the city but the best she has ever
> managed was to get two of them out. I stop by at my mother's grave
> every 2-3 months. My father is buried in Denmark but I still manage to
> get over there every few years.

I've never visited a family grave. It is just a decaying body in an
expensive box and fancy marker. I don't get anything from visiting a
grave and I'm pretty sure the deceased don't either. It does not alter
my memories of the deceased. A years or so ago we went to the graves
of my wife's family. She stepped in a hole in the ground and broke her
ankle. A couple of weeks ago on the way back from vacation we were in
the area and she declined a visit hoping not to repeat the problem.

If you get comfort going to the grave, by all means, go. Everyone is
different in that respect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Some cultures believe that it protects the wearer or see it as a
> > > mark of power or affiliation with a group. You grew up in an era
> > > and culture where tattoos were frowned upon socially. Things are
> > > different in the new generation of Americans. Heck, my daughter
> > > wanted a tat when she was 12 years old. I suspect that, even
> > > today, the kids believe it gives them strength and empowers them
> > > in way that's similar to what the people of the Pacific islands
> > > believe.
> > >
> > > My daughter's boyfriend has some tattoos. He and his mom and
> > > sister got one each as a memorial to his sister that killed
> > > herself. He's now managing a restaurant and has to cover/conceal
> > > the tat when he's working the floor. My daughter got a small tat
> > > - a small black ink one that's concealed by her ear in honor of
> > > his sister. She has several small ones that are somewhat
> > > discreet. The only one that's obvious on her body is one that she
> > > got for her mom and prominently displayed on her arm. It says
> > > "Strength." It's the only one she has that has a color element -
> > > a pink ribbon. I believe that, for the rest of her life, she will
> > > look at it and maybe she's touch it lightly and gently and she
> > > will remember her mom and that will be important to her.
> > >

> > I can understand the pink ribbon. My son has the logo of his
> > favorite hockey team. To me, it makes no sense to have a permanent
> > mark for something that may be temporary. Allegiances can change.

> I don't understand why people mutilate themselves!
> Graham

A multicultural thing. It is not considered mutilation but often a
reaffermation of a culture.

Tonga, tattos are a part of life and they have meaning in each
expression. A Chief on the USS Fort McHenry, tatooed heavily from knee
down. By birth he was a tribal chief. If i recall it right, the
downward spikes were 'rooting to the ground of his ancestors'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 21 May 2017 20:58:14 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
> > On 2017-05-21 8:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > >
> >> I can understand the pink ribbon. My son has the logo of his

> favorite >> hockey team. To me, it makes no sense to have a
> permanent mark for >> something that may be temporary. Allegiances
> can change.
> >
> > I don't understand why people mutilate themselves!
> > Graham

> It's a generational thing. People over a certain age don't need to
> explain that they hate tats. Everybody already knows that. Just like
> they don't like trance music.

Don't take all of us as one lump. I'm not far off 60 and I get Tats
just fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 8:47:58 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/22/2017 6:31 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

> >> makes as much if not more
> >> sense than spending many thousand$ on a funeral with a cemetary plot
> >> and a fancy head stone... then driving away and likely never see it
> >> again.

> > True. My wife makes a pilgrimage to Toronto every November to lay a
> > wreath at the family plot where her grandparents, parents, brother,
> > cousin and aunt are buried. She always tries to get her relatives there
> > to join her. Most of them live in the city but the best she has ever
> > managed was to get two of them out. I stop by at my mother's grave
> > every 2-3 months. My father is buried in Denmark but I still manage to
> > get over there every few years.
> >

> I've never visited a family grave. It is just a decaying body in an
> expensive box and fancy marker. I don't get anything from visiting a
> grave and I'm pretty sure the deceased don't either. It does not alter
> my memories of the deceased. A years or so ago we went to the graves
> of my wife's family. She stepped in a hole in the ground and broke her
> ankle. A couple of weeks ago on the way back from vacation we were in
> the area and she declined a visit hoping not to repeat the problem.
>
> If you get comfort going to the grave, by all means, go. Everyone is
> different in that respect.

We haven't had family graves since my great-grandparents' generation.
Grandma and Grampa are in mom's linen closet. After she dies, all
three of them will be in the landfill.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2017 6:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> We haven't had family graves since my great-grandparents' generation.
> Grandma and Grampa are in mom's linen closet. After she dies, all
> three of them will be in the landfill.

heheh. I've always said just toss me in the dumpster when I die. That
body is no longer me. And I mean it too. Cemetaries are creapy to me.
I would go for bury me in the ferret area in the forest. Just my natural
dead body though, no treatment. Otherwise, dumpster is fine

The entire death ritual creeps me out. Embalming is unnecessary and very
creepy. The required funerals with fancy coffins and all that....so
strange and a waste of good money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2017 4:21 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/23/2017 6:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> We haven't had family graves since my great-grandparents' generation.
>> Grandma and Grampa are in mom's linen closet. After she dies, all
>> three of them will be in the landfill.

> heheh. I've always said just toss me in the dumpster when I die.

I always tell people "just flush me when I am gone - you always treated
me like shit anyway".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 May 2017 07:21:10 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/23/2017 6:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> We haven't had family graves since my great-grandparents' generation.
>> Grandma and Grampa are in mom's linen closet. After she dies, all
>> three of them will be in the landfill.

>heheh. I've always said just toss me in the dumpster when I die. That
>body is no longer me. And I mean it too. Cemetaries are creapy to me.
>I would go for bury me in the ferret area in the forest. Just my natural
>dead body though, no treatment. Otherwise, dumpster is fine
>
>The entire death ritual creeps me out. Embalming is unnecessary and very
>creepy. The required funerals with fancy coffins and all that....so
>strange and a waste of good money.

My mother died last September and she chose not to have a funeral. I
had her cremated, picked up her ashes and we had a family get together
about 6 weeks after she died. My brother sprinkled her ashes off her
favourite beach.

There are now several community gropups in Australia that have managed
to buy or secure bushland in which they do natural burials amongst the
trees. They have all the necessary licences to pick up and transport
dead bodies. The bodies are just wrapped before burial. They use no
hearses, just transport the body in the back of a ute.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 8:47:58 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/22/2017 6:31 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

> >> makes as much if not more
> >> sense than spending many thousand$ on a funeral with a cemetary plot
> >> and a fancy head stone... then driving away and likely never see it
> >> again.

> > True. My wife makes a pilgrimage to Toronto every November to lay a
> > wreath at the family plot where her grandparents, parents, brother,
> > cousin and aunt are buried. She always tries to get her relatives there
> > to join her. Most of them live in the city but the best she has ever
> > managed was to get two of them out. I stop by at my mother's grave
> > every 2-3 months. My father is buried in Denmark but I still manage to
> > get over there every few years.
> >

> I've never visited a family grave. It is just a decaying body in an
> expensive box and fancy marker. I don't get anything from visiting a
> grave and I'm pretty sure the deceased don't either. It does not alter
> my memories of the deceased. A years or so ago we went to the graves
> of my wife's family. She stepped in a hole in the ground and broke her
> ankle. A couple of weeks ago on the way back from vacation we were in
> the area and she declined a visit hoping not to repeat the problem.
>
> If you get comfort going to the grave, by all means, go. Everyone is
> different in that respect.

We haven't had family graves since my great-grandparents' generation.
Grandma and Grampa are in mom's linen closet. After she dies, all
three of them will be in the landfill.

Cindy Hamilton

==

It might be nice for you to sprinkle the ashes in a nice place. It
obviously meant something to your mother.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Taxed and Spent" wrote in message news
On 5/23/2017 4:21 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/23/2017 6:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> We haven't had family graves since my great-grandparents' generation.
>> Grandma and Grampa are in mom's linen closet. After she dies, all
>> three of them will be in the landfill.

> heheh. I've always said just toss me in the dumpster when I die.

I always tell people "just flush me when I am gone - you always treated
me like shit anyway".

==

Oh dear ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JBurns" wrote in message

On Tue, 23 May 2017 07:21:10 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/23/2017 6:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> We haven't had family graves since my great-grandparents' generation.
>> Grandma and Grampa are in mom's linen closet. After she dies, all
>> three of them will be in the landfill.

>heheh. I've always said just toss me in the dumpster when I die. That
>body is no longer me. And I mean it too. Cemetaries are creapy to me.
>I would go for bury me in the ferret area in the forest. Just my natural
>dead body though, no treatment. Otherwise, dumpster is fine
>
>The entire death ritual creeps me out. Embalming is unnecessary and very
>creepy. The required funerals with fancy coffins and all that....so
>strange and a waste of good money.

My mother died last September and she chose not to have a funeral. I
had her cremated, picked up her ashes and we had a family get together
about 6 weeks after she died. My brother sprinkled her ashes off her
favourite beach.

There are now several community gropups in Australia that have managed
to buy or secure bushland in which they do natural burials amongst the
trees. They have all the necessary licences to pick up and transport
dead bodies. The bodies are just wrapped before burial. They use no
hearses, just transport the body in the back of a ute.

JB

===

Pretty much what we want. Just our ashes to be scattered in our favourite
place.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 1:27:43 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

> > > True. My wife makes a pilgrimage to Toronto every November to lay a
> > > wreath at the family plot where her grandparents, parents, brother,
> > > cousin and aunt are buried. She always tries to get her relatives there
> > > to join her. Most of them live in the city but the best she has ever
> > > managed was to get two of them out. I stop by at my mother's grave
> > > every 2-3 months. My father is buried in Denmark but I still manage to
> > > get over there every few years.
> > >

> > I've never visited a family grave. It is just a decaying body in an
> > expensive box and fancy marker. I don't get anything from visiting a
> > grave and I'm pretty sure the deceased don't either. It does not alter
> > my memories of the deceased. A years or so ago we went to the graves
> > of my wife's family. She stepped in a hole in the ground and broke her
> > ankle. A couple of weeks ago on the way back from vacation we were in
> > the area and she declined a visit hoping not to repeat the problem.
> >
> > If you get comfort going to the grave, by all means, go. Everyone is
> > different in that respect.

> We haven't had family graves since my great-grandparents' generation.
> Grandma and Grampa are in mom's linen closet. After she dies, all
> three of them will be in the landfill.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> It might be nice for you to sprinkle the ashes in a nice place. It
> obviously meant something to your mother.

She'll be, you know, dead. She won't know.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 1:27:43 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

>> > I've never visited a family grave. It is just a decaying body in an
>> > expensive box and fancy marker. I don't get anything from visiting a
>> > grave and I'm pretty sure the deceased don't either. It does not alter
>> > my memories of the deceased. A years or so ago we went to the graves
>> > of my wife's family. She stepped in a hole in the ground and broke her
>> > ankle. A couple of weeks ago on the way back from vacation we were in
>> > the area and she declined a visit hoping not to repeat the problem.
>> >
>> > If you get comfort going to the grave, by all means, go. Everyone is
>> > different in that respect.

>> We haven't had family graves since my great-grandparents' generation.
>> Grandma and Grampa are in mom's linen closet. After she dies, all
>> three of them will be in the landfill.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> ==
>>
>> It might be nice for you to sprinkle the ashes in a nice place. It
>> obviously meant something to your mother.

> She'll be, you know, dead. She won't know.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

But I would know and that would be what mattered, not what she would know or
not know.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "JBurns" wrote in message
>
> On Tue, 23 May 2017 07:21:10 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>On 5/23/2017 6:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> We haven't had family graves since my great-grandparents' generation.
>>> Grandma and Grampa are in mom's linen closet. After she dies, all
>>> three of them will be in the landfill.

>>heheh. I've always said just toss me in the dumpster when I die. That
>>body is no longer me. And I mean it too. Cemetaries are creapy to me.
>>I would go for bury me in the ferret area in the forest. Just my natural
>>dead body though, no treatment. Otherwise, dumpster is fine
>>
>>The entire death ritual creeps me out. Embalming is unnecessary and very
>>creepy. The required funerals with fancy coffins and all that....so
>>strange and a waste of good money.

> My mother died last September and she chose not to have a funeral. I
> had her cremated, picked up her ashes and we had a family get together
> about 6 weeks after she died. My brother sprinkled her ashes off her
> favourite beach.
>
> There are now several community gropups in Australia that have managed
> to buy or secure bushland in which they do natural burials amongst the
> trees. They have all the necessary licences to pick up and transport
> dead bodies. The bodies are just wrapped before burial. They use no
> hearses, just transport the body in the back of a ute.
>
> JB
>
> ===
>
> Pretty much what we want. Just our ashes to be scattered in our favourite
> place.

Us too, mixed with our dogs ashes and scattered.

Cheri