Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 9:36:51 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

> > cooked. >>> Also when people say they don't like left overs what
> > they are really >>> saying is that they don't like to cook and
> > rarely do cook... mostly >>> they eat out or take out.

> > order >> to have leftovers do so because they don't like to cook.
> > Speaking >> for myself, I am not crazy about most foods re-heated
> > and would >> rather cook enough for one meal for the two of us each
> > night. I can >> cook a pork chop to perfection and enjoy it. A pork
> > chop that has >> been cooked and then cooled, wrapped and then
> > re-heated will be over >> cooked.

> > > Not entirely Dave, I cook extra for work lunches.

> > Why? Because it saves you the time and effort to make a meal just
> > for your lunch?

> I'll take the liberty of answering on her behalf:
>
> Because we don't have a kitchen at the office. We cannot make a meal
> just for lunch.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Correct Cindy. Also, I can reheat, but trying to make a true meal is to
be rude and take more of your share of 'microwave time'. Most of the
folks at work who need 4 mins or more microwave time, eat a little
early or late. Thats because between 10:45-11:45, we can have up to 30
people who just want to rewarm some soup or something for 2 minutes.

I will add that I am not a microwave cook. Like most, I use it to
reheat stuff. It, and a toaster is all I have at work. Perhaps Dave
works at home so he doesn't understand packing a lunch?

Off that though, I really like my work place. We have a sizable core
group who bring in fun freebies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/22/2017 6:17 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > I'll take the liberty of answering on her behalf:
> >
> > Because we don't have a kitchen at the office. We cannot make a
> > meal just for lunch.

> My work only lunches are fresh every day and so easy to prepare each
> morning. Always a 10-oz cup of generic V-8 juice. That's all. If I'm
> not working, I'll cook a real lunch mid afternoon but just V8 for
> work.

Good on you but that doesnt play out for real working stiffs.

I'm not getting up at 4am to make stir fried rice with veggies 'fresh
in the morning'. Instead like normal people, I will make some extra the
night before from dinner.

I will also make extra lunch stuff on the weekend, then freeze it in my
own home 3 compartment containers. Better than your general TV dinner
by far and lets me vary them easily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-22 8:28 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> I will add that I am not a microwave cook. Like most, I use it to
> reheat stuff. It, and a toaster is all I have at work. Perhaps Dave
> works at home so he doesn't understand packing a lunch?

I used to pack a lunch sometimes when I was working. Most of the time I
was on the road and ate in restaurants. I did occasionally take
something to re-heat.

However, my objection was to Sheldon's comment that people who cook
meals fresh do so because they are lazy and don't like to cook. That is
just plain silly, because it is more work to do that and one has to cook
a wider variety of food that those who make huge batches of stuff to be
heated and served later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 May 2017 13:39:48 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> > wrote:
>
>>Cheri wrote:

>>> V-8 is a trademark, so what is generic V-8 juice? ;-)

>>"vegetable juice"

> I'm pretty sure Walmart has there own brand of Vegetable Juice
> Cocktail. I think most large food chains do.
> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...64-oz/13023470

Yes, but I'm sure it's labeled generic V-8 juice. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 2:47:15 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> Dinner Tonight:
> Left over pork chops with buttered egg noodles and brussel sprouts:
> http://i66.tinypic.com/vi36mb.jpg

I'm doing the opposite from you. I'm cooking meals in the toaster oven or in my small rice cooker. I am preparing for the day when I have to cook for only myself and maybe not even have a kitchen. I think it's a good, sound, move.

For dinner, I'm going to boil some chicken thighs in some liquid I used to make shoyu pork. I just drop some thighs in the sauce and boil it. It's gonna be epic and yet dead simple to make. Brilliant!

Today I had a kalbi sausage sandwich. Hee hee.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...xDBGBKhmGgWDPW

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

>Today I had a kalbi sausage sandwich. Hee hee.

You sucked a Chinese pee pee . . . Hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2017 8:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/21/2017 6:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> That is bullshit on a number of levels. I would suggest that the
>> opposite is true, that people who cook in large quantities in order to
>> have leftovers do so because they don't like to cook.
>>

> I would suggest your reply is bullshit. I like to cook but sometimes
> enjoy not having to do so. Some foods reheat well and make a damned
> good lunch, quick and easy. aif your reheated food is overcooked you
> should learn to better use the microwave.

Thanks, Ed. I like to cook. I don't necessarily feel like cooking
every day. And some meals are really good when gently reheated - using
one of many methods. A microwave at work is sometimes the only option.
Also sometimes helpful at home!

> With the exception of once or twice a month, at my last job I had
> leftovers for lunch every day for 27 years. One of my co-workers used
> to look forward to me bringing her some at times, especially home made
> soup, lasagna, and a few other things.

Sheldon's pork chops with noodles and brussels sprouts would actually
reheat well in a microwave. If sufficiently moist. It didn't look like
he nuked them on high until dry.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2017 1:38 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 5/21/2017 6:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> That is bullshit on a number of levels. I would suggest that the
>>> opposite is true, that people who cook in large quantities in order
>>> to have leftovers do so because they don't like to cook. Speaking
>>> for myself, I am not crazy about most foods re-heated and would
>>> rather cook enough for one meal for the two of us each night. I can
>>> cook a pork chop to perfection and enjoy it. A pork chop that has
>>> been cooked and then cooled, wrapped and then re-heated will be over
>>> cooked.
>>>

>> I would suggest your reply is bullshit. I like to cook but sometimes
>> enjoy not having to do so. Some foods reheat well and make a damned
>> good lunch, quick and easy. aif your reheated food is overcooked you
>> should learn to better use the microwave.

> Truly!
>
> Cheri

Agreed. Not everything reheats well, but many things do. Even before I
had a separate freezer I cooked a little extra on weekends. For easy to
take and reheat meals at work.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 5:54:20 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> >Today I had a kalbi sausage sandwich. Hee hee.

> You sucked a Chinese pee pee . . . Hee hee.

You big goofball - that was a Korean sausage not Chinese! It tasted pretty much like kalbi. It's amazing. OTOH, the idea of a sausage tasting like kalbi is not really appealing to me. And anyway, now I got the trotskys real bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2017 6:09 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/22/2017 1:49 PM, Gary wrote:
>> My work only lunches are fresh every day and so easy to prepare each
>> morning. Always a 10-oz cup of generic V-8 juice. That's all. If I'm not
>> working, I'll cook a real lunch mid afternoon but just V8 for work.
>>

> You tend to make fun of the small quantities I eat, yet you subsist on
> only 10 oz. of vegetable juice for lunch?!

Not really making fun of your small meals - just an observation that you
do seem to eat small portions. Just a comment, not a put down. I see
your meal pics and think....I would need more. :-)

Anyway, yeah.....I don't like to stop in the middle of the work day and
eat lunch. Eating makes me tired and eating at lunch for work makes the
2nd half of the day drag on forever. Just the V8 nutrition doesn't do
that to me.

When daughter was young, I started up my own business just to give me a
more flexible schedule. For many years, I didn't need a babysitter
except during the summer months.

During most of her school years, I could stay home until she got on the
bus. Then I would go to work at 9am and work straight through until
3:30. I was always home when she got home from school.

Since that gave 6 1/2 hours to work, I never stopped for lunch. I worked
those hours straight with no lunch and I always got home 15 minutes
before she did. No babysitter and no latch-key daughter.

That became a habit that I still do. No interest in taking lunch at
work. I'll take a 10 minute lunch break and go back to work and I still
can come home early with full hours. Drinking the V8 gives me nutrition
to carry on. :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2017 8:47 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>> My work only lunches are fresh every day and so easy to prepare each
>> morning. Always a 10-oz cup of generic V-8 juice. That's all. If I'm
>> not working, I'll cook a real lunch mid afternoon but just V8 for
>> work.

> Good on you but that doesnt play out for real working stiffs.

Hope you aren't suggesting that I'm not a "real working stiff."
My work is much more physical than your work and I don't need or want
lots of food during a lunch break. You might need lots of food at lunch,
but I don't require it or even want it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 May 2017 00:36:07 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/21/2017 8:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 5/21/2017 6:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> That is bullshit on a number of levels. I would suggest that the
>>> opposite is true, that people who cook in large quantities in order to
>>> have leftovers do so because they don't like to cook.
>>>

>> I would suggest your reply is bullshit. I like to cook but sometimes
>> enjoy not having to do so. Some foods reheat well and make a damned
>> good lunch, quick and easy. aif your reheated food is overcooked you
>> should learn to better use the microwave.
>>

>Thanks, Ed. I like to cook. I don't necessarily feel like cooking
>every day. And some meals are really good when gently reheated - using
>one of many methods. A microwave at work is sometimes the only option.
> Also sometimes helpful at home!
>
>> With the exception of once or twice a month, at my last job I had
>> leftovers for lunch every day for 27 years. One of my co-workers used
>> to look forward to me bringing her some at times, especially home made
>> soup, lasagna, and a few other things.

>Sheldon's pork chops with noodles and brussels sprouts would actually
>reheat well in a microwave. If sufficiently moist. It didn't look like
>he nuked them on high until dry.
>
>Jill

Those pork chops weren't over cooked to begin with so with gentle
heating, with moisture, they were perfect left overs,... and they were
removed and then the noodles and sprouts were heated on high for a
minute til steaming hot... with the chop plated atop the hot noodles
the chop remained hot.
There are ways to reheat food that no one could tell it was reheated.
And some foods are easy to reheat, were those chops breaded they could
be reheated several times, breaded food is easy to reheat, which is
why breaded is popular restaurant fare... and of course popular frozen
food... people buy lots of frozen pre cooked breaded seafood and never
think of it being left overs.
Very often I'll jullienne cooked meats and add it to soup, when
restaurants do that (often) no patron complains about it being
reheated left overs... had anyone noticed there were three pork chops
because it was sold as a pack of three. How to divide that one chop
for the next dinner, easy, julienned and reheated with the noodles and
sprouts.
Originally the three chops were fried a few hours earlier,
refrigerated, and then reheated for dinner... that third chop was
doubly reheated yet suffered no damage.
Prissy Dave (who can't cook) has obviously never eaten hash.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 May 2017 00:41:05 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/22/2017 1:38 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> I would suggest your reply is bullshit. I like to cook but sometimes
>>> enjoy not having to do so. Some foods reheat well and make a damned
>>> good lunch, quick and easy. aif your reheated food is overcooked you
>>> should learn to better use the microwave.

>> Truly!
>>
>> Cheri

>Agreed. Not everything reheats well, but many things do. Even before I
>had a separate freezer I cooked a little extra on weekends. For easy to
>take and reheat meals at work.
>
>Jill

I can't think of any food that can't be reheated well... with some
cooked foods one needs to make creative changes... any left overs can
be turned into a great omelet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 7:45:22 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 5/22/2017 6:09 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 5/22/2017 1:49 PM, Gary wrote:
> >> My work only lunches are fresh every day and so easy to prepare each
> >> morning. Always a 10-oz cup of generic V-8 juice. That's all. If I'm not
> >> working, I'll cook a real lunch mid afternoon but just V8 for work.
> >>

> > You tend to make fun of the small quantities I eat, yet you subsist on
> > only 10 oz. of vegetable juice for lunch?!

> Not really making fun of your small meals - just an observation that you
> do seem to eat small portions. Just a comment, not a put down. I see
> your meal pics and think....I would need more. :-)
>
> Anyway, yeah.....I don't like to stop in the middle of the work day and
> eat lunch. Eating makes me tired and eating at lunch for work makes the
> 2nd half of the day drag on forever. Just the V8 nutrition doesn't do
> that to me.
>
> When daughter was young, I started up my own business just to give me a
> more flexible schedule. For many years, I didn't need a babysitter
> except during the summer months.
>
> During most of her school years, I could stay home until she got on the
> bus. Then I would go to work at 9am and work straight through until
> 3:30. I was always home when she got home from school.
>
> Since that gave 6 1/2 hours to work, I never stopped for lunch. I worked
> those hours straight with no lunch and I always got home 15 minutes
> before she did. No babysitter and no latch-key daughter.
>
> That became a habit that I still do. No interest in taking lunch at
> work. I'll take a 10 minute lunch break and go back to work and I still
> can come home early with full hours. Drinking the V8 gives me nutrition
> to carry on. :-D

Everybody's different. I work 7:30 to 5. I definitely
couldn't get through it on 70 calories of V8 juice at
midday.

I like to take an hour at lunch, get away from my desk,
and rest my brain.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2017 7:45 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/22/2017 6:09 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/22/2017 1:49 PM, Gary wrote:
>>> My work only lunches are fresh every day and so easy to prepare each
>>> morning. Always a 10-oz cup of generic V-8 juice. That's all. If I'm not
>>> working, I'll cook a real lunch mid afternoon but just V8 for work.
>>>

>> You tend to make fun of the small quantities I eat, yet you subsist on
>> only 10 oz. of vegetable juice for lunch?!

> Not really making fun of your small meals - just an observation that you
> do seem to eat small portions. Just a comment, not a put down. I see
> your meal pics and think....I would need more. :-)
>
> Anyway, yeah.....I don't like to stop in the middle of the work day and
> eat lunch. Eating makes me tired and eating at lunch for work makes the
> 2nd half of the day drag on forever. Just the V8 nutrition doesn't do
> that to me.
>
> When daughter was young, I started up my own business just to give me a
> more flexible schedule. For many years, I didn't need a babysitter
> except during the summer months.
>
> During most of her school years, I could stay home until she got on the
> bus. Then I would go to work at 9am and work straight through until
> 3:30. I was always home when she got home from school.
>
> Since that gave 6 1/2 hours to work, I never stopped for lunch. I worked
> those hours straight with no lunch and I always got home 15 minutes
> before she did. No babysitter and no latch-key daughter.
>
> That became a habit that I still do. No interest in taking lunch at
> work. I'll take a 10 minute lunch break and go back to work and I still
> can come home early with full hours. Drinking the V8 gives me nutrition
> to carry on. :-D

Sounds like it works well for you and congratulations for not putting
your daughter in an after school warehouse.

It was different at my work. Lunch was a good time to socialize and
enjoy time with a co=worker or two. Sometimes we talked shop, but tried
to avoid it even though we were paid for the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 22 May 2017 11:44:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Cooking large numbers of pork chops and re-heating them????? seriously?
>Wow. That will save you all the work of heating up a pan and then
>cleaning it after it was used to fry a pork chop for 6 minutes, about
>two minutes longer than it takes to heat it. Feel free to have second
>hand food

Did you know that bread has been baked before it's sold? Does that
make it second hand?

===

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2017 10:58 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
>>> I love leftovers, we were raised on them, and they were damned
>>> good the second time too.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> I think it really depends on what you have left over. IMHO, some
>> things simply aren't edible when left over.

> I'm sure there are, but I've never had anything that wasn't, at least
> not that I can recall because if I didn't like it the second time, I
> probably didn't like it the first time.
>
> Cheri

That's an excellent answer, Cheri.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> I think it really depends on what you have left over. IMHO, some
>>> things simply aren't edible when left over.

>> I'm sure there are, but I've never had anything that wasn't, at
>> least not that I can recall because if I didn't like it the second
>> time, I probably didn't like it the first time.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> We tend to like our vegetables tender-crisp. That texture is lost when
> reheated.

I'm pretty sure we all agree: not everything reheats well. In the case
of tender-crisp vegetables, the texture would be lost. Not everything
freezes well, either. But many things do.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2017 10:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/21/2017 8:25 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I'm sure there are, but I've never had anything that wasn't, at
>>> least not that I can recall because if I didn't like it the second
>>> time, I probably didn't like it the first time.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> We tend to like our vegetables tender-crisp. That texture is lost when
>> reheated.
>>

> If you warm then in the microwave you can get some of the crispness back
> in a hot pan. Not perfect, but better than just nuking.

Thank you, Ed! The idea of using a hot pan to re-crisp the veggies is a
good one. I've never liked tender-crisp. It nearly always has meant
"barely cooked, might as well be raw". I do not like raw vegetables.
Tossing them for 3-5 minutes in a wok or a skillet and calling them
tender-crisp won't change my mind.

> Some days I don't want to take an hour to prepare a meal so the five
> minute leftover dinner is just perfect.

That too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2017 9:02 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-22 8:28 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>> I will add that I am not a microwave cook. Like most, I use it to
>> reheat stuff. It, and a toaster is all I have at work. Perhaps Dave
>> works at home so he doesn't understand packing a lunch?

> I used to pack a lunch sometimes when I was working. Most of the time I
> was on the road and ate in restaurants. I did occasionally take
> something to re-heat.

I haven't known many people who worked "on the road". Eating out in
restaurants is expensive, even in a cheap diner. Ditto fast food. It
adds up. Were you reimbursed for your meals? Did you have a per diem?

I've nearly always worked in an office setting. I took home-cooked
meals because it was less expensive and I knew what I was getting for
lunch. I can't tell you how many co-workers complained about money but
were spending $$ every day at fast food joints for crappy food. I know
this because these same complainers would go shopping on their lunch
break and bring back a bag of burgers and fries to eat at their desks.
Sorry, I'd rather just take the time in the break room to relax for a
few minutes and eat what I already knew was a good, home cooked meal.

> However, my objection was to Sheldon's comment that people who cook
> meals fresh do so because they are lazy and don't like to cook.

True, Dave. I am not lazy. I do like to cook. But it was/is easier
(and less expensive) to cook more than one thing over a weekend and
package up the leftovers.

He's the one who cooks larger quantities than most. I generally cook
enough for 2-4 people. I freeze the leftovers. That way I don't have
to eat the same thing day in, day out for a week.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-25 11:44 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/22/2017 9:02 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I used to pack a lunch sometimes when I was working. Most of the time I
>> was on the road and ate in restaurants. I did occasionally take
>> something to re-heat.
>>

> I haven't known many people who worked "on the road". Eating out in
> restaurants is expensive, even in a cheap diner. Ditto fast food. It
> adds up. Were you reimbursed for your meals? Did you have a per diem?

It can get expensive, but if we were 15 miles from our office we were
entitled to a meal allowance, and most of the time were even further
than that. It helped that we knew the cheap places with good food and
could eat for less than the allowance, so if he occasionally had to eat
closet to the office it was not a problem. We had a deli about 200
yards from the office where I could get a freshly made sandwich and a
pop for less than $2. Even 20 years ago that was a bargain.

> I've nearly always worked in an office setting. I took home-cooked
> meals because it was less expensive and I knew what I was getting for
> lunch. I can't tell you how many co-workers complained about money but
> were spending $$ every day at fast food joints for crappy food.

We had an office with desks for 4 people and there were 10 of us so we
had share them. We would show up there, pick up our vehicles and hit the
road and be back by quitting time. I was never certain where I would be
and mu lunch would be sitting in a hot car all day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2017 4:16 PM, Cheri wrote:
> Well, I did put a wink behind it since there is no such thing as generic
> V-8,

I noticed that Wayne said he tried my generic version and said it tastes
nothing like the real V-8. Didn't he even say it was so bad that he
threw it out? Something similar.

Anyway, I like the Everyday Essential fine and it costs $1.20 less for
64 ounces but I never actually compared the two side by side. And I'll
bet Wayney never did that either.

Last store trip, I bought one of each and I'll do a side by side
comparison. He might be right but it perked my interest in finding out.

> but on a side note, I watched Animal Cops Houston early this
> morning and they rescued 3 ferrets that had been left in the cold
> without food or water for several days, it reminded me of Mia and the
> good life she had. They were adopted out to a good home, though one did
> die, the other two seemed to be doing well. I learned a lot about
> ferrets metabolism and how much food they need etc.

Well that story is 2/3 cool. Yeah ferrets have a high metabolism and
need to eat frequently.

There is a very urgent ferret rescue going on right now. Someone
evidently got tired of them (and most shelters won't take ferrets) so it
seems like 2 got abandoned in my friends neighborhood about a week ago.
He thought they were weasels and took pics. I told him they look more
like ferrets.

Anyway, we dropped it. Then a neighbor found a dead one yesterday and
now my friend thinks he saw the other. I've got him out today on S&R
mission to find the other before it's too late. I even stressed the
urgency and asked him to recruit any cool neighbors too.

It's a long story and I feel so guilty about not saying more last week.
I just assumed that they were wild weasels. I did tell him back then
though if he saw them again, call to them. If wild weasels, they will
most likely run. If they come to him, they probably really are someones
pet ferrets.

I'm convinced now that these were abandoned. It happens often with cute
ferrets...so adorable in a pet shop but many don't realize how much care
they need. Most pet shelters won't even accept ferrets so many do just
get abandoned by the most evil and uncaring of people.

I'm feeling really guilty about not realizing all the clues a week ago
and having him catch them then. Now one is dead and the other probably
is too. Just two more deaths in my personal life ever since Mia died 15
months ago. crap.

I told him if I was nearby, I would have been there at dawn to try to
find the one that might still be alive. Problem is that I live hundreds
of miles away...Virginia - Conneticut.

If he finds it alive (I so hope) I told him about immediate care and get
to a vet. I also told him if a miracle happens, I will make arrangements
to make this ferret my next baby. I doubt it will happen but wouldn't it
be so cool if it did. The ultimate long-distant rescue.

A very upsetting day here for me. All I can to is advise him how to
search and then just sit here hoping and praying that he finds it in time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2017 10:11 AM, Gary wrote:

> I'm convinced now that these were abandoned. It happens often with cute
> ferrets...so adorable in a pet shop but many don't realize how much care
> they need. Most pet shelters won't even accept ferrets so many do just
> get abandoned by the most evil and uncaring of people.
>
> I'm feeling really guilty about not realizing all the clues a week ago
> and having him catch them then. Now one is dead and the other probably
> is too. Just two more deaths in my personal life ever since Mia died 15
> months ago. crap.
>
> I told him if I was nearby, I would have been there at dawn to try to
> find the one that might still be alive. Problem is that I live hundreds
> of miles away...Virginia - Conneticut.
>
> If he finds it alive (I so hope) I told him about immediate care and get
> to a vet. I also told him if a miracle happens, I will make arrangements
> to make this ferret my next baby. I doubt it will happen but wouldn't it
> be so cool if it did. The ultimate long-distant rescue.

If your friend needs help
https://ferretassn.org/?doing_wp_cro...79650878906250

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message news
> [...]

I'm feeling really guilty about not realizing all the clues a week ago
and having him catch them then. Now one is dead and the other probably
is too. Just two more deaths in my personal life ever since Mia died 15
months ago. crap.

I told him if I was nearby, I would have been there at dawn to try to
find the one that might still be alive. Problem is that I live hundreds
of miles away...Virginia - Conneticut.

If he finds it alive (I so hope) I told him about immediate care and get
to a vet. I also told him if a miracle happens, I will make arrangements
to make this ferret my next baby. I doubt it will happen but wouldn't it
be so cool if it did. The ultimate long-distant rescue.

A very upsetting day here for me. All I can to is advise him how to
search and then just sit here hoping and praying that he finds it in time.

Gary there is no need to feel responsible. You didn't abandon them! I
just hope he manages to find that one safely and you get your next baby!

Good luck!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 5/22/2017 4:16 PM, Cheri wrote:
> > Well, I did put a wink behind it since there is no such thing as
> > generic V-8,

> I noticed that Wayne said he tried my generic version and said it
> tastes nothing like the real V-8. Didn't he even say it was so bad
> that he threw it out? Something similar.
>
> Anyway, I like the Everyday Essential fine and it costs $1.20 less
> for 64 ounces but I never actually compared the two side by side. And
> I'll bet Wayney never did that either.

There are plenty of store brand items that work well.

Don didnt like that Everyday Essential as well as V8 but he says it's
ok and specifically, good for cooking at a little less cost. He
doctors it with a smidge of garlic, paprika and black pepper ands then
he's fine with it.

The problem with the essential brand of it, is it misses that very
slight 'bite' and this makes up for it with him.

> Last store trip, I bought one of each and I'll do a side by side
> comparison. He might be right but it perked my interest in finding
> out.

Thats what we did. Don doesn't do computers so you don't hear from him
direct, but he's a fine cook.

Snippies on lost ferret in Conneticut)

> A very upsetting day here for me. All I can to is advise him how to
> search and then just sit here hoping and praying that he finds it in
> time.

Hope so too Gary!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> [...]

> I'm feeling really guilty about not realizing all the clues a week ago and
> having him catch them then. Now one is dead and the other probably is too.
> Just two more deaths in my personal life ever since Mia died 15 months
> ago. crap.
>
> I told him if I was nearby, I would have been there at dawn to try to find
> the one that might still be alive. Problem is that I live hundreds of
> miles away...Virginia - Conneticut.
>
> If he finds it alive (I so hope) I told him about immediate care and get
> to a vet. I also told him if a miracle happens, I will make arrangements
> to make this ferret my next baby. I doubt it will happen but wouldn't it
> be so cool if it did. The ultimate long-distant rescue.
>
> A very upsetting day here for me. All I can to is advise him how to search
> and then just sit here hoping and praying that he finds it in time.

To be honest, the ferret story on Animal Planet upset me because of Mia, and
the fact that some low lifes would allow that to happen to any animal, slow
agonizing deaths. Assholes, each and every one of them! I hope the outcome
is good in your case.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> [...]

> ago. crap.
>
> I told him if I was nearby, I would have been there at dawn to try to find
> the one that might still be alive. Problem is that I live hundreds of
> miles away...Virginia - Conneticut.
>
> If he finds it alive (I so hope) I told him about immediate care and get
> to a vet. I also told him if a miracle happens, I will make arrangements
> to make this ferret my next baby. I doubt it will happen but wouldn't it
> be so cool if it did. The ultimate long-distant rescue.
>
> A very upsetting day here for me. All I can to is advise him how to search
> and then just sit here hoping and praying that he finds it in time.

To be honest, the ferret story on Animal Planet upset me because of Mia, and
the fact that some low lifes would allow that to happen to any animal, slow
agonizing deaths. Assholes, each and every one of them! I hope the outcome

==

I agree.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk