Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Apple upside down cake

Didn't have pineapple so I used apples. It was good.

https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 May 2017 21:41:44 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>Didn't have pineapple so I used apples. It was good.
>
>https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/

Looks luscious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> Didn't have pineapple so I used apples. It was good.
>
> https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/

Looks pretty darned good from where I'm sitting.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9:27:20 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>
> > Didn't have pineapple so I used apples. It was good.
> >
> > https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/

> Looks pretty darned good from where I'm sitting.
>
> Cheri

It does look rather lip smacking, doesn't it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2017 1:25 AM, wrote:
> On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9:27:20 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Didn't have pineapple so I used apples. It was good.

https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/

>> Looks pretty darned good from where I'm sitting.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> It does look rather lip smacking, doesn't it?

Is there a version for Android?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

Didn't have pineapple so I used apples. It was good.

https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/

==

Ooh that looks lovely!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 11:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2017 21:41:44 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Didn't have pineapple so I used apples. It was good.
>>
>> https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/

> Just FYI, when you use postimg.org, copy and paste the second link in
> the list after you upload. You can just hit the "Copy" button to the
> right of the listed link(s):
>
> https://s19.postimg.org/6jwzzai7n/Apple_upsidedown.jpg
>
> Otherwise it's just a thumbnail that you have to click again.
>
> -sw

Yes, that's how it works. I was wondering why I saw a bunch of links
and then noticed the thumbnail picture. It does look tasty though.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 6:41:54 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Didn't have pineapple so I used apples. It was good.
>
> https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/

wow. That's gorgeous. I bet it was tasty too !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2017 11:22 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 6:41:54 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Didn't have pineapple so I used apples. It was good.
>>
>> https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/

> wow. That's gorgeous. I bet it was tasty too !

It was. The dark things you see are dried chrries. I'd use raisins but
my wife does not care for them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 8:31:23 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/20/2017 11:22 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> > On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 6:41:54 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> Didn't have pineapple so I used apples. It was good.
> >>
> >> https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/

> > wow. That's gorgeous. I bet it was tasty too !
> >

> It was. The dark things you see are dried chrries. I'd use raisins but
> my wife does not care for them.

I tend to agree with your wife. The cherries are perfect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-20 1:56 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 8:31:23 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> wow. That's gorgeous. I bet it was tasty too !
>>>

>> It was. The dark things you see are dried chrries. I'd use raisins but
>> my wife does not care for them.

> I tend to agree with your wife. The cherries are perfect.

I could do either. I like dried cherries and can see them working, but I
would probably use raisins. Craisons (sweet dried cranberries) would be
good.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 2017-05-20 1:56 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/

> >> It was. The dark things you see are dried chrries. I'd use raisins but
> >> my wife does not care for them.

> > I tend to agree with your wife. The cherries are perfect.
> >

> I could do either. I like dried cherries and can see them working, but I
> would probably use raisins. Craisons (sweet dried cranberries) would be
> good.

When I make it with with pineapple rings, I put a glace cherry in each
ring and studded between them.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Sun 21 May 2017 02:49:47a, Janet told us...
>
> > In article >,

says...

https://postimg.org/image/i90zn9967/924d00b6/

> >> I could do either. I like dried cherries and can see them
> >> working, but I would probably use raisins. Craisons (sweet dried
> >> cranberries) would be good.

> > When I make it with with pineapple rings, I put a glace cherry
> > in each
> > ring and studded between them.
> >
> > Janet UK
> >

> I use maraschino cherries in each ring, and fill in any other spaces
> with pecan halves. Do you use a butter cake recipe or sponge cake?
> I use a sponge cake recipe from 1932.

I don't know the term "butter cake", what's the difference from
"sponge"?

I use butter, sugar, self raising flour, eggs and vanilla essence.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 6:16:57 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:

> I don't know the term "butter cake", what's the difference from
> "sponge"?
>
> I use butter, sugar, self raising flour, eggs and vanilla essence.
>
> Janet UK

Isn't a sponge cake made with egg whites, no yolks in the
batter. Egg whites are whipped and then folded into the
batter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 12:47:42 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 6:16:57 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> >
> > I don't know the term "butter cake", what's the difference from
> > "sponge"?
> >
> > I use butter, sugar, self raising flour, eggs and vanilla essence.
> >
> > Janet UK
> >

> Isn't a sponge cake made with egg whites, no yolks in the
> batter. Egg whites are whipped and then folded into the
> batter.

An angel food cake is leavened with egg white and has no yolks - or oil or butter for that matter. A chiffon cake is also leavened with egg whites in addition to baking powder but will include egg yolks and oil. A sponge cake is made with whole eggs and sugar beaten till fluffy. It uses baking powder and butter. As it goes, sponge cake was my favorite cake to make. As an added bonus it's the base of the tres leches cake. I don't know what a butter cake is - it sounds like some kind of regional cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 6:08:05 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> An angel food cake is leavened with egg white and has no yolks - or oil or butter for that matter.

Yes, angel food does comes to mind instead of the sponge cake
I wrote about.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 4:51:32 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 6:08:05 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > An angel food cake is leavened with egg white and has no yolks - or oil or butter for that matter.
> >

> Yes, angel food does comes to mind instead of the sponge cake
> I wrote about.

Angel food cake is interesting because it only contains white ingredients. Sponge cake - AKA genoise, is the mother of all cakes i.e., the most basic and classic of cakes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet UK and others: I think there is a misunderstanding here. The term "sponge" is
often used to refer to just a basic cake....like a chocolate, or spice, or white, or
yellow, etc. I notice many of the pro bakers on TV say "sponge," when they just
mean an unadorned cake layer.

Usually, in the U.S., for most of us anyway, the word "sponge" is followed by the word
"cake," meaning sponge cake which is different from chocolate cake or yellow cake
or whatever.

So "sponge" used by itself can be considered different from "sponge cake."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>Janet UK and others: I think there is a misunderstanding here. The term "sponge" is
>often used to refer to just a basic cake....like a chocolate, or spice, or white, or
>yellow, etc. I notice many of the pro bakers on TV say "sponge," when they just
>mean an unadorned cake layer.
>
>Usually, in the U.S., for most of us anyway, the word "sponge" is followed by the word
>"cake," meaning sponge cake which is different from chocolate cake or yellow cake
>or whatever.
>
>So "sponge" used by itself can be considered different from "sponge cake."
>
>N.

In baking nomenclature a sponge refers to a yeast emulsion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponge_and_dough
Sponge cake has several meanings:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponge_cake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 11:43:19 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> Janet UK and others: I think there is a misunderstanding here. The term "sponge" is
> often used to refer to just a basic cake....like a chocolate, or spice, or white, or
> yellow, etc. I notice many of the pro bakers on TV say "sponge," when they just
> mean an unadorned cake layer.
>
> Usually, in the U.S., for most of us anyway, the word "sponge" is followed by the word
> "cake," meaning sponge cake which is different from chocolate cake or yellow cake
> or whatever.
>
> So "sponge" used by itself can be considered different from "sponge cake."
>
> N.

A sponge cake with added extra sugar and butter is called "pound cake." I think the most refined and difficult to make sponge cake is the Castella cake. It's just awesome!

https://www.pinterest.com/recipes/castella-cake/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 11:43:19 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> Janet UK and others: I think there is a misunderstanding here. The term
> "sponge" is
> often used to refer to just a basic cake....like a chocolate, or spice, or
> white, or
> yellow, etc. I notice many of the pro bakers on TV say "sponge," when
> they just
> mean an unadorned cake layer.
>
> Usually, in the U.S., for most of us anyway, the word "sponge" is followed
> by the word
> "cake," meaning sponge cake which is different from chocolate cake or
> yellow cake
> or whatever.
>
> So "sponge" used by itself can be considered different from "sponge cake."
>
> N.

A sponge cake with added extra sugar and butter is called "pound cake." I
think the most refined and difficult to make sponge cake is the Castella
cake. It's just awesome!

https://www.pinterest.com/recipes/castella-cake/

===

New to me so I watched this It was strange to see them say it would be
cheating to use cake flour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7b9Nutaok

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 9:13:11 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 11:43:19 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> > Janet UK and others: I think there is a misunderstanding here. The term
> > "sponge" is
> > often used to refer to just a basic cake....like a chocolate, or spice, or
> > white, or
> > yellow, etc. I notice many of the pro bakers on TV say "sponge," when
> > they just
> > mean an unadorned cake layer.
> >
> > Usually, in the U.S., for most of us anyway, the word "sponge" is followed
> > by the word
> > "cake," meaning sponge cake which is different from chocolate cake or
> > yellow cake
> > or whatever.
> >
> > So "sponge" used by itself can be considered different from "sponge cake."
> >
> > N.

> A sponge cake with added extra sugar and butter is called "pound cake." I
> think the most refined and difficult to make sponge cake is the Castella
> cake. It's just awesome!
>
> https://www.pinterest.com/recipes/castella-cake/
>
> ===
>
> New to me so I watched this It was strange to see them say it would be
> cheating to use cake flour
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7b9Nutaok
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

These cakes were popular in Japan and Hawaii as gifts when I was a kid. They would be placed in a fancy box and wrapped in fancy paper. It's a most elegant cake. I have no idea of what would be the ideal flour for a castella cake.

http://www.takaski.com/product/bunme...c194f948ffaf0f
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 9:13:11 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 11:43:19 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> > Janet UK and others: I think there is a misunderstanding here. The
> > term
> > "sponge" is
> > often used to refer to just a basic cake....like a chocolate, or spice,
> > or
> > white, or
> > yellow, etc. I notice many of the pro bakers on TV say "sponge," when
> > they just
> > mean an unadorned cake layer.
> >
> > Usually, in the U.S., for most of us anyway, the word "sponge" is
> > followed
> > by the word
> > "cake," meaning sponge cake which is different from chocolate cake or
> > yellow cake
> > or whatever.
> >
> > So "sponge" used by itself can be considered different from "sponge
> > cake."
> >
> > N.

> A sponge cake with added extra sugar and butter is called "pound cake." I
> think the most refined and difficult to make sponge cake is the Castella
> cake. It's just awesome!
>
> https://www.pinterest.com/recipes/castella-cake/
>
> ===
>
> New to me so I watched this It was strange to see them say it would be
> cheating to use cake flour
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7b9Nutaok
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

These cakes were popular in Japan and Hawaii as gifts when I was a kid. They
would be placed in a fancy box and wrapped in fancy paper. It's a most
elegant cake. I have no idea of what would be the ideal flour for a castella
cake.

http://www.takaski.com/product/bunme...c194f948ffaf0f

===

Nice Btw that recipe said to use bread flour and not to cheat with cake
flour)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 4:05:04 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 9:13:11 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 11:43:19 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> > > Janet UK and others: I think there is a misunderstanding here. The
> > > term
> > > "sponge" is
> > > often used to refer to just a basic cake....like a chocolate, or spice,
> > > or
> > > white, or
> > > yellow, etc. I notice many of the pro bakers on TV say "sponge," when
> > > they just
> > > mean an unadorned cake layer.
> > >
> > > Usually, in the U.S., for most of us anyway, the word "sponge" is
> > > followed
> > > by the word
> > > "cake," meaning sponge cake which is different from chocolate cake or
> > > yellow cake
> > > or whatever.
> > >
> > > So "sponge" used by itself can be considered different from "sponge
> > > cake."
> > >
> > > N.

> > A sponge cake with added extra sugar and butter is called "pound cake." I
> > think the most refined and difficult to make sponge cake is the Castella
> > cake. It's just awesome!
> >
> > https://www.pinterest.com/recipes/castella-cake/
> >
> > ===
> >
> > New to me so I watched this It was strange to see them say it would be
> > cheating to use cake flour
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7b9Nutaok
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> These cakes were popular in Japan and Hawaii as gifts when I was a kid. They
> would be placed in a fancy box and wrapped in fancy paper. It's a most
> elegant cake. I have no idea of what would be the ideal flour for a castella
> cake.
>
> http://www.takaski.com/product/bunme...c194f948ffaf0f
>
> ===
>
> Nice Btw that recipe said to use bread flour and not to cheat with cake
> flour)
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Bread flour in a cake? Now that's interesting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 4:05:04 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 9:13:11 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 11:43:19 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> > > Janet UK and others: I think there is a misunderstanding here. The
> > > term
> > > "sponge" is
> > > often used to refer to just a basic cake....like a chocolate, or
> > > spice,
> > > or
> > > white, or
> > > yellow, etc. I notice many of the pro bakers on TV say "sponge," when
> > > they just
> > > mean an unadorned cake layer.
> > >
> > > Usually, in the U.S., for most of us anyway, the word "sponge" is
> > > followed
> > > by the word
> > > "cake," meaning sponge cake which is different from chocolate cake or
> > > yellow cake
> > > or whatever.
> > >
> > > So "sponge" used by itself can be considered different from "sponge
> > > cake."
> > >
> > > N.

> > A sponge cake with added extra sugar and butter is called "pound cake."
> > think the most refined and difficult to make sponge cake is the Castella
> > cake. It's just awesome!
> >
> > https://www.pinterest.com/recipes/castella-cake/
> >
> > ===
> >
> > New to me so I watched this It was strange to see them say it would
> > be
> > cheating to use cake flour
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7b9Nutaok
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> These cakes were popular in Japan and Hawaii as gifts when I was a kid.
> They
> would be placed in a fancy box and wrapped in fancy paper. It's a most
> elegant cake. I have no idea of what would be the ideal flour for a
> castella
> cake.
>
> http://www.takaski.com/product/bunme...c194f948ffaf0f
>
> ===
>
> Nice Btw that recipe said to use bread flour and not to cheat with cake
> flour)
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Bread flour in a cake? Now that's interesting!

====

Hmm I take it you didn't watch that vid I posted ... hmmmm???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 9:08:40 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 4:05:04 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 9:13:11 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > A sponge cake with added extra sugar and butter is called "pound cake.."
> > > think the most refined and difficult to make sponge cake is the Castella
> > > cake. It's just awesome!
> > >
> > > https://www.pinterest.com/recipes/castella-cake/
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > New to me so I watched this It was strange to see them say it would
> > > be
> > > cheating to use cake flour
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7b9Nutaok
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> > These cakes were popular in Japan and Hawaii as gifts when I was a kid.
> > They
> > would be placed in a fancy box and wrapped in fancy paper. It's a most
> > elegant cake. I have no idea of what would be the ideal flour for a
> > castella
> > cake.
> >
> > http://www.takaski.com/product/bunme...c194f948ffaf0f
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Nice Btw that recipe said to use bread flour and not to cheat with cake
> > flour)
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Bread flour in a cake? Now that's interesting!
>
> ====
>
> Hmm I take it you didn't watch that vid I posted ... hmmmm???
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I watched it, but I didn't bother to check out the ingredients. These cakes typically contain eggs, flour, honey, and milk. I have watched it before. The mixer with the whisk attachment is cute. I have one but have never used it to beat egg whites. Perhaps I will - just for kicks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 9:08:40 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 4:05:04 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 9:13:11 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > A sponge cake with added extra sugar and butter is called "pound
> > > cake."
> > > think the most refined and difficult to make sponge cake is the
> > > Castella
> > > cake. It's just awesome!
> > >
> > > https://www.pinterest.com/recipes/castella-cake/
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > New to me so I watched this It was strange to see them say it would
> > > be
> > > cheating to use cake flour
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7b9Nutaok
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> > These cakes were popular in Japan and Hawaii as gifts when I was a kid.
> > They
> > would be placed in a fancy box and wrapped in fancy paper. It's a most
> > elegant cake. I have no idea of what would be the ideal flour for a
> > castella
> > cake.
> >
> > http://www.takaski.com/product/bunme...c194f948ffaf0f
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Nice Btw that recipe said to use bread flour and not to cheat with
> > cake
> > flour)
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Bread flour in a cake? Now that's interesting!
>
> ====
>
> Hmm I take it you didn't watch that vid I posted ... hmmmm???
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I watched it, but I didn't bother to check out the ingredients. These cakes
typically contain eggs, flour, honey, and milk. I have watched it before.
The mixer with the whisk attachment is cute. I have one but have never used
it to beat egg whites. Perhaps I will - just for kicks.

==

I won't argue will you about ingredients Heck what do I know?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 10:51:35 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 9:08:40 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 4:05:04 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > These cakes were popular in Japan and Hawaii as gifts when I was a kid.
> > > They
> > > would be placed in a fancy box and wrapped in fancy paper. It's a most
> > > elegant cake. I have no idea of what would be the ideal flour for a
> > > castella
> > > cake.
> > >
> > > http://www.takaski.com/product/bunme...c194f948ffaf0f
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > Nice Btw that recipe said to use bread flour and not to cheat with
> > > cake
> > > flour)
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> > Bread flour in a cake? Now that's interesting!
> >
> > ====
> >
> > Hmm I take it you didn't watch that vid I posted ... hmmmm???
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I watched it, but I didn't bother to check out the ingredients. These cakes
> typically contain eggs, flour, honey, and milk. I have watched it before.
> The mixer with the whisk attachment is cute. I have one but have never used
> it to beat egg whites. Perhaps I will - just for kicks.
>
> ==
>
> I won't argue will you about ingredients Heck what do I know?
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I won't argue about the ingredients either. I went and bought a kastera cake for 5 bucks. The amazing thing about the cake is that it has a long shelf life and was popular with sailors on ocean voyages. Well that's what I've read. I have wondered how one could package a cake and sell it like a non-perishable item.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 10:51:35 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 9:08:40 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 4:05:04 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > These cakes were popular in Japan and Hawaii as gifts when I was a
> > > kid.
> > > They
> > > would be placed in a fancy box and wrapped in fancy paper. It's a most
> > > elegant cake. I have no idea of what would be the ideal flour for a
> > > castella
> > > cake.
> > >
> > > http://www.takaski.com/product/bunme...c194f948ffaf0f
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > Nice Btw that recipe said to use bread flour and not to cheat with
> > > cake
> > > flour)
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> > Bread flour in a cake? Now that's interesting!
> >
> > ====
> >
> > Hmm I take it you didn't watch that vid I posted ... hmmmm???
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I watched it, but I didn't bother to check out the ingredients. These
> cakes
> typically contain eggs, flour, honey, and milk. I have watched it before.
> The mixer with the whisk attachment is cute. I have one but have never
> used
> it to beat egg whites. Perhaps I will - just for kicks.
>
> ==
>
> I won't argue will you about ingredients Heck what do I know?
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I won't argue about the ingredients either. I went and bought a kastera cake
for 5 bucks. The amazing thing about the cake is that it has a long shelf
life and was popular with sailors on ocean voyages. Well that's what I've
read. I have wondered how one could package a cake and sell it like a
non-perishable item.

===

No idea. I wouldn't like to test it.

--