Old 19-05-2017, 04:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Apple cider?

In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287

TW

Old 19-05-2017, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287

TW

you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.
Old 19-05-2017, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/05/17 16:40, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287

TW

you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.

I remember now why I avoid this group.

Old 19-05-2017, 04:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-19 11:40 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287

TW

you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.

Neat trick, eh. First time post and it contains a link to a site that
requires logging in.... traffic for the site and personal info.

---

Old 19-05-2017, 04:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-19, TimW wrote:

On 19/05/17 16:40, Taxed and Spent wrote:

you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.

I remember now why I avoid this group.

The NYT has backed off, somewhat. If I'm not mistaken, a person
can read a NYTimes article at least 5 times per month w/o subscribing.
WSJ is still a buncha dicks.

nb
Old 19-05-2017, 05:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:43:16 AM UTC-5, TimW wrote:

I remember now why I avoid this group.

Because you can't sucker posters into clicking on your link?

Old 19-05-2017, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 8:56 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 16:25:20 +0100, TimW wrote:

In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287

Cider is just unpasteurized fruit juice (usually apple) and may also
be fermented to be alcoholic (hard cider). You may substitute and
apple juice, unfiltered (cloudy) if you can find it. Unpasteurized
apple juice is pretty hard to find anymore due to the potential for
cooties.

As for seeing the site, if you install 'yesscript' and enable it for
the site/page, you will be able to see the recipe without logging in.
It works for many paywalls and other annoying sites that require you
to log in VIA a popover window dialog.

-sw

Thanks - good info.

Now I was able to answer my question as to whether it was referring to
vinegar. I have nothing to add to your comments on cider.
Old 19-05-2017, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

The link took me to the New York Times
recipe for coleslaw. I wonder why it's taking you
somewhere else.

It's funny to think that the NYTimes needs
Tim W to get people to their site (smile)

Nellie

Old 19-05-2017, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 9:25 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 19 May 2017 08:46:36a, Taxed and Spent told us...

On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple
Cider in the US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had
heard it was just juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...-slaw?em_pos=l
arge&emc=edit_ck_20170519&nl=cooking&nlid=79673287

TW

you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.

I remember now why I avoid this group.

oh, why is that?

Perhaps because he gets enough assinine comments like yours.

he posts a link seeking help regarding what is posted at that link. And
that link requires login. The asinine thing is that he didn't copy and
paste the recipe or portion thereof which caused him to have a question.

And the even more asinine thing is people like you expecting me to log
in someplace.

Old 19-05-2017, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-19, TimW wrote:

On 19/05/17 16:40, Taxed and Spent wrote:

you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.

I remember now why I avoid this group.

The NYT has backed off, somewhat. If I'm not mistaken, a person
can read a NYTimes article at least 5 times per month w/o subscribing.

I couldn't read it. I had to log in. And I definitely haven't used up
my 5 times.
Old 19-05-2017, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
says...

On Fri 19 May 2017 08:40:33a, Taxed and Spent told us...

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...law?em_pos=lar
ge&emc=edit_ck_20170519&nl=cooking&nlid=79673287

TW

you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.

That was really very helpful. Not!

I notice you don't help him either, Wayne.

I'm happy to open safe links sent by posters I know. I don't go to any
sent by posters, which require a log-in with personal details.

Janet UK

Old 19-05-2017, 09:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/05/17 17:01, Sqwertz wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 10:56:15 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

You may substitute and apple juice, unfiltered (cloudy) if you can find it.

Correction: You may substitute ANY 100% apple juice....

-sw

Just juice. ta very much. That was all.
TW
Old 19-05-2017, 09:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287

TW

you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.

I remember now why I avoid this group.

Good luck in getting a straight answer from these mugs. You have a very good question. My guess is that you should use apple juice in the slaw. It's the fault of the writer for not being aware that apple cider refers to two different liquids and not specifying which is the correct one. The idea of using apple juice that's reduced, however, is an interesting one.
Old 19-05-2017, 09:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287

TW

you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.

I remember now why I avoid this group.

Good luck in getting a straight answer from these mugs. You have a very good question. My guess is that you should use apple juice in the slaw. It's the fault of the writer for not being aware that apple cider refers to two different liquids and not specifying which is the correct one. The idea of using apple juice that's reduced, however, is an interesting one.

Not that I'd have been 100% sure of the answer, but I really had to
log in on that site and I don't have or want an account there. Others
the same, no doubt.

Apple cider vs. apple juice -- what's the difference? belochi@comcast.net General Cooking 0 06-10-2015 02:20 PM
Cider-Roasted Turkey with Bacon-Apple Cider Gravy Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-11-2007 01:51 AM
Apple Cider Cathy Boer Winemaking 3 31-01-2007 07:21 AM
Apple Cider Pie FAKelco@aol.com Recipes (moderated) 0 08-10-2006 04:37 PM
Hot Apple Cider Duckie Recipes 0 04-10-2005 08:37 PM