A Food and drink forum. FoodBanter.com

Go Back   Home » FoodBanter.com forum » Food and Cooking » General Cooking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Apple cider?



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 04:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Apple cider?

In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287

TW
Ads
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 690
Default Apple cider?

On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287

TW


you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Apple cider?

On 19/05/17 16:40, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287


TW


you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.


I remember now why I avoid this group.
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 690
Default Apple cider?

On 5/19/2017 8:43 AM, TimW wrote:
On 19/05/17 16:40, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287


TW


you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.


I remember now why I avoid this group.


oh, why is that?
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 04:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25,936
Default Apple cider?

On 2017-05-19 11:40 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287


TW


you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.



Neat trick, eh. First time post and it contains a link to a site that
requires logging in.... traffic for the site and personal info.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 04:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30,828
Default Apple cider?

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 29, 2017.

On Fri, 19 May 2017 16:25:20 +0100, TimW wrote:

In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287


Cider is just unpasteurized fruit juice (usually apple) and may also
be fermented to be alcoholic (hard cider). You may substitute and
apple juice, unfiltered (cloudy) if you can find it. Unpasteurized
apple juice is pretty hard to find anymore due to the potential for
cooties.

As for seeing the site, if you install 'yesscript' and enable it for
the site/page, you will be able to see the recipe without logging in.
It works for many paywalls and other annoying sites that require you
to log in VIA a popover window dialog.

-sw
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 04:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,150
Default Apple cider?

On 2017-05-19, TimW wrote:

On 19/05/17 16:40, Taxed and Spent wrote:


you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.


I remember now why I avoid this group.


The NYT has backed off, somewhat. If I'm not mistaken, a person
can read a NYTimes article at least 5 times per month w/o subscribing.
WSJ is still a buncha dicks.

nb
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30,828
Default Apple cider?

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 29, 2017.

On Fri, 19 May 2017 11:50:41 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

On 2017-05-19 11:40 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287


you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.


Neat trick, eh. First time post and it contains a link to a site that
requires logging in.... traffic for the site and personal info.


Yeah, the OP probably owns the New York Times.

-sw
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 05:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30,828
Default Apple cider?

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on May 29, 2017.

On Fri, 19 May 2017 10:56:15 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

You may substitute and apple juice, unfiltered (cloudy) if you can find it.


Correction: You may substitute ANY 100% apple juice....

-sw
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 690
Default Apple cider?

On 5/19/2017 8:56 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 16:25:20 +0100, TimW wrote:

In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider in the
US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard it was just
juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/... nlid=79673287


Cider is just unpasteurized fruit juice (usually apple) and may also
be fermented to be alcoholic (hard cider). You may substitute and
apple juice, unfiltered (cloudy) if you can find it. Unpasteurized
apple juice is pretty hard to find anymore due to the potential for
cooties.

As for seeing the site, if you install 'yesscript' and enable it for
the site/page, you will be able to see the recipe without logging in.
It works for many paywalls and other annoying sites that require you
to log in VIA a popover window dialog.

-sw



Thanks - good info.

Now I was able to answer my question as to whether it was referring to
vinegar. I have nothing to add to your comments on cider.
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 357
Default Apple cider?

The link took me to the New York Times
recipe for coleslaw. I wonder why it's taking you
somewhere else.

It's funny to think that the NYTimes needs
Tim W to get people to their site (smile)

Nellie




  #13 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 690
Default Apple cider?

On 5/19/2017 9:25 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 19 May 2017 08:46:36a, Taxed and Spent told us...

On 5/19/2017 8:43 AM, TimW wrote:
On 19/05/17 16:40, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple
Cider in the US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had
heard it was just juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...-slaw?em_pos=l
arge&emc=edit_ck_20170519&nl=cooking&nlid=79673287


TW


you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.

I remember now why I avoid this group.


oh, why is that?


Perhaps because he gets enough assinine comments like yours.



he posts a link seeking help regarding what is posted at that link. And
that link requires login. The asinine thing is that he didn't copy and
paste the recipe or portion thereof which caused him to have a question.

And the even more asinine thing is people like you expecting me to log
in someplace.


  #14 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,612
Default Apple cider?

On 19 May 2017 15:58:04 GMT, notbob wrote:

On 2017-05-19, TimW wrote:

On 19/05/17 16:40, Taxed and Spent wrote:


you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.


I remember now why I avoid this group.


The NYT has backed off, somewhat. If I'm not mistaken, a person
can read a NYTimes article at least 5 times per month w/o subscribing.


I couldn't read it. I had to log in. And I definitely haven't used up
my 5 times.
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 19-05-2017, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,335
Default Apple cider?

In article ,
says...

On Fri 19 May 2017 08:40:33a, Taxed and Spent told us...

On 5/19/2017 8:25 AM, TimW wrote:
In an american recipe - '2 cups apple cider'. What is Apple Cider
in the US? I know what it is here but I had an idea I had heard
it was just juice in american English.

I am looking here
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...law?em_pos=lar
ge&emc=edit_ck_20170519&nl=cooking&nlid=79673287

TW


you need to log in to read that page, so you are on your own.


That was really very helpful. Not!


I notice you don't help him either, Wayne.

I'm happy to open safe links sent by posters I know. I don't go to any
sent by posters, which require a log-in with personal details.

Janet UK


 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.