Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You know those Costco rotisserie chickens . . .

You know what smells amazing when you finally do make it to the
grocery section of Costco? Those fresh rotisserie chickens. And Costco
sells around 157,000 of them every day. They go for $4.99 a bird and
even Costco knows that's a deal. They have actually confessed that
they lose around $30-40 million per year by not increasing the
price—but with such a loyal following, it's worth it to them.

Yep. I buy them too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 May 2017 14:48:03 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 19 May 2017 07:13:53a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>

>> You know what smells amazing when you finally do make it to the
>> grocery section of Costco? Those fresh rotisserie chickens. And
>> Costco sells around 157,000 of them every day. They go for $4.99 a
>> bird and even Costco knows that's a deal. They have actually
>> confessed that they lose around $30-40 million per year by not
>> increasing the price—but with such a loyal following, it's worth
>> it to them.
>>
>> Yep. I buy them too.
>>

>I like them too. I prefer eating the legs and thighs when first
>eatiang warm. I usually reserve the breasts to eat cold in chicken
>salad or other dishes. I've never gotten a bad one yet, and they're
>always tender and juicy. Compared to the rotiserried chickens sold in
>many supermarkets, the Costco birds are generally larger and better
>quality.

exactly the way that we eat them. It's kind of like having a method
for eating the chocolate bunnies (ears first)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-19 10:48 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 19 May 2017 07:13:53a, U.S. Janet B. told us...

> I like them too. I prefer eating the legs and thighs when first
> eatiang warm. I usually reserve the breasts to eat cold in chicken
> salad or other dishes. I've never gotten a bad one yet, and they're
> always tender and juicy. Compared to the rotiserried chickens sold in
> many supermarkets, the Costco birds are generally larger and better
> quality.

I often tell my son he should consider getting those rotisserie
chickens, though not necessarily at Costco. Even at $8.00 they are a
good idea for a single guy. He can easily get 3-4 meals out of one and
they are as good cold as they are hot.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 4:14:02 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> You know what smells amazing when you finally do make it to the
> grocery section of Costco? Those fresh rotisserie chickens. And Costco
> sells around 157,000 of them every day. They go for $4.99 a bird and
> even Costco knows that's a deal. They have actually confessed that
> they lose around $30-40 million per year by not increasing the
> priceå‚*ut with such a loyal following, it's worth it to them.
>
> Yep. I buy them too.

Cooking and selling huli-huli chicken used to be a popular way for organizations to raise money. Costco rotisserie chicken has pretty much brought an end to that Hawaiian tradition. Our group was trying to figure out a fund-raiser. I suggested huli-huli chicken but was reminded of this small detail. Looks like we're going to raise funds by having a bowling event. In the past we made $1200 or so. The guy that's organizing the event says that's small potatoes and the potential to make a lot of money is there - that's encouraging.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 May 2017 08:13:53 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>You know what smells amazing when you finally do make it to the
>grocery section of Costco? Those fresh rotisserie chickens. And Costco
>sells around 157,000 of them every day. They go for $4.99 a bird and
>even Costco knows that's a deal. They have actually confessed that
>they lose around $30-40 million per year by not increasing the
>price—but with such a loyal following, it's worth it to them.
>
>Yep. I buy them too.

It's the worst quality chicken. Not to mention the living conditions
of these factory chickens. But I guess it's cheap...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 May 2017 11:47:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-05-19 10:48 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 19 May 2017 07:13:53a, U.S. Janet B. told us...

>> I like them too. I prefer eating the legs and thighs when first
>> eatiang warm. I usually reserve the breasts to eat cold in chicken
>> salad or other dishes. I've never gotten a bad one yet, and they're
>> always tender and juicy. Compared to the rotiserried chickens sold in
>> many supermarkets, the Costco birds are generally larger and better
>> quality.

>I often tell my son he should consider getting those rotisserie
>chickens, though not necessarily at Costco. Even at $8.00 they are a
>good idea for a single guy. He can easily get 3-4 meals out of one and
>they are as good cold as they are hot.
>

>---

You don't mean that Costco sells the chickens in your store for $8?
You're supposed to get a 4 pound rotisserie chicken for $4.99 at every
store.
The Costco chickens are far better and larger than any you can get
elsewhere. Send him to Costco.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 May 2017 11:50:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 19 May 2017 08:13:53 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> You know what smells amazing when you finally do make it to the
>> grocery section of Costco? Those fresh rotisserie chickens.

>Never heard of them! ;-)
>
>> And Costco
>> sells around 157,000 of them every day. They go for $4.99 a bird and
>> even Costco knows that's a deal. They have actually confessed that
>> they lose around $30-40 million per year by not increasing the
>> price—but with such a loyal following, it's worth it to them.

>Note here that they are not claiming they are a loss leader, or
>selling that at or below cost. A lot of sites out there on the
>Internet are rephrasing what Costco said to mean they are losing money
>selling them when they are simply saying they could be making more of
>a profit on them.
>
>Costco is paying a maximum of $.70/lb for those raw, tumbled chickens.
>4.5lbs X $.70 = $3.15 plus the ovens, labor, clamshell... they're
>still probably making money on them, just not as much as they could.
>
>-sw

No doubt what you say is absolutely true, but, I can't get that deal
anywhere else. As was said elsewhere, they are good for a couple or
three meals
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> You know what smells amazing when you finally do make it to the
> grocery section of Costco? Those fresh rotisserie chickens. And Costco
> sells around 157,000 of them every day. They go for $4.99 a bird and
> even Costco knows that's a deal. They have actually confessed that
> they lose around $30-40 million per year by not increasing the
> price—but with such a loyal following, it's worth it to them.
>
> Yep. I buy them too.

They are excellent!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
>U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> You know what smells amazing when you finally do make it to the
>> grocery section of Costco? Those fresh rotisserie chickens.

>Never heard of them! ;-)
>
>> And Costco
>> sells around 157,000 of them every day. They go for $4.99 a bird and
>> even Costco knows that's a deal. They have actually confessed that
>> they lose around $30-40 million per year by not increasing the
>> price—but with such a loyal following, it's worth it to them.

>Note here that they are not claiming they are a loss leader, or
>selling that at or below cost. A lot of sites out there on the
>Internet are rephrasing what Costco said to mean they are losing money
>selling them when they are simply saying they could be making more of
>a profit on them.
>
>Costco is paying a maximum of $.70/lb for those raw, tumbled chickens.
>4.5lbs X $.70 = $3.15 plus the ovens, labor, clamshell... they're
>still probably making money on them, just not as much as they could.

Any store can make that claim. "not as much as they could"... of
course they are making money, at minimum 100% profit. I can buy 6-7
pound oven roasters for 79¢-99¢ a pound all year, still 100% profit
for the store. I have to roast them myself, which I prefer... because
regardless at what store I've bought those rotisserie chickens they
are always over salted and not cleaned very well inside. I rarely buy
those rotisserie chickens, has to be a ran out of time emergency so
it's a driving-by purchase, maybe once a year. Any store can charge
more but then sell less as just about every store charges the same $5
per. Everytime we've eaten a rotisserie chicken we are dying of
thirst all night. They over salt because those are the chickens that
didn't sell by the sell-by date so could be a bit woofy otherwise...
but still no excuse for leaving all those blood clots and veins
hanging in the cavity. Those rotisserie chickens are rather small,
one barely feeds two hungry adults... maost any diner/greasy spoon has
a half chicken meal on the menu... there's a greasy spoon in town that
serves half a roasted chicken, with a rack of ribs, a salad, veggie,
and baked or fries for $8... much better than those rotisserie
chickens, we do it take out because the joint is truly a dive but the
food is very good. Chicken around here is very inexpensive, ther ea
severa multi million chicken/egg farms nearby. A lot of people here
raise chickens, that dozen eggs we had the other night were brown
organics from a local who raises her own, was a gift for really no
reason other than my wife tutors her with knitting. Today she's at
the high school substiting for the Agri teacher, a lot of the kids
here raise their own animals for shearing; llama, alpaca, certain
goats and sheep, my wife teaches them spinning, dying, and knitting.
These days many more boys than girls are into knitting/fiber arts. She
also subs for the Latin teacher, in Belize she attended school at the
convent, she's fluent in Latin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 May 2017 15:08:43 -0400, wrote:

> [...]

>and baked or fries for $8... much better than those rotisserie
>chickens, we do it take out because the joint is truly a dive but the
>food is very good. Chicken around here is very inexpensive, ther ea
>severa multi million chicken/egg farms nearby. A lot of people here
>raise chickens, that dozen eggs we had the other night were brown
>organics from a local who raises her own, was a gift for really no
>reason other than my wife tutors her with knitting. Today she's at
>the high school substiting for the Agri teacher, a lot of the kids
>here raise their own animals for shearing; llama, alpaca, certain
>goats and sheep, my wife teaches them spinning, dying, and knitting.
>These days many more boys than girls are into knitting/fiber arts. She
>also subs for the Latin teacher, in Belize she attended school at the

Like I said. Buy the 4# chicken at Costco not some fly-by-night
wayside convenience store with dust on the shelves.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> You know what smells amazing when you finally do make it to the
> grocery section of Costco? Those fresh rotisserie chickens. And Costco
> sells around 157,000 of them every day. They go for $4.99 a bird and
> even Costco knows that's a deal. They have actually confessed that
> they lose around $30-40 million per year by not increasing the
> price—but with such a loyal following, it's worth it to them.
>
> Yep. I buy them too.

They are excellent!

Cheri

==

We just bought a small oven with a rotisserie and I cook chickens on it.
They come out lovely))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 May 2017 12:11:15 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 19 May 2017 11:47:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2017-05-19 10:48 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Fri 19 May 2017 07:13:53a, U.S. Janet B. told us...

>>> I like them too. I prefer eating the legs and thighs when first
>>> eatiang warm. I usually reserve the breasts to eat cold in chicken
>>> salad or other dishes. I've never gotten a bad one yet, and they're
>>> always tender and juicy. Compared to the rotiserried chickens sold in
>>> many supermarkets, the Costco birds are generally larger and better
>>> quality.

>>I often tell my son he should consider getting those rotisserie
>>chickens, though not necessarily at Costco. Even at $8.00 they are a
>>good idea for a single guy. He can easily get 3-4 meals out of one and
>>they are as good cold as they are hot.
>>

>>---

>You don't mean that Costco sells the chickens in your store for $8?
>You're supposed to get a 4 pound rotisserie chicken for $4.99 at every
>store.
>The Costco chickens are far better and larger than any you can get
>elsewhere. Send him to Costco.
>Janet US

The regular grocery stores around here sell them for $8, and I like
them just fine.

Costco is a 1 1/2 hour drive.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-19 2:11 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2017 11:47:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> I often tell my son he should consider getting those rotisserie
>> chickens, though not necessarily at Costco. Even at $8.00 they are a
>> good idea for a single guy. He can easily get 3-4 meals out of one and
>> they are as good cold as they are hot.
>>

>> ---

> You don't mean that Costco sells the chickens in your store for $8?
> You're supposed to get a 4 pound rotisserie chicken for $4.99 at every
> store.

No I don't think I mean that. Costco is 20 miles away from me and I
don't have a membership, but there are lots of other stores that have them.

> The Costco chickens are far better and larger than any you can get
> elsewhere. Send him to Costco.

Costco is closer to him. In fact, it is right at the exit that that he
takes on the way home and about mile and a half from his apartment.
Being single, there may not be much advantage to shop at Costco.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 May 2017 17:47:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-05-19 2:11 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 May 2017 11:47:39 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I often tell my son he should consider getting those rotisserie
>>> chickens, though not necessarily at Costco. Even at $8.00 they are a
>>> good idea for a single guy. He can easily get 3-4 meals out of one and
>>> they are as good cold as they are hot.
>>>

>>> ---

>> You don't mean that Costco sells the chickens in your store for $8?
>> You're supposed to get a 4 pound rotisserie chicken for $4.99 at every
>> store.

>No I don't think I mean that. Costco is 20 miles away from me and I
>don't have a membership, but there are lots of other stores that have them.
>

>> The Costco chickens are far better and larger than any you can get
>> elsewhere. Send him to Costco.

>Costco is closer to him. In fact, it is right at the exit that that he
>takes on the way home and about mile and a half from his apartment.
>Being single, there may not be much advantage to shop at Costco.

Perhaps not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Newest Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 May 2017 11:20:45 -0700, "Cheri" > wrote:
>
>>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
. ..

>>> You know what smells amazing when you finally do make it to the
>>> grocery section of Costco? Those fresh rotisserie chickens. And Costco
>>> sells around 157,000 of them every day. They go for $4.99 a bird and
>>> even Costco knows that's a deal. They have actually confessed that
>>> they lose around $30-40 million per year by not increasing the
>>> price—but with such a loyal following, it's worth it to them.
>>>
>>> Yep. I buy them too.

>>They are excellent!

> My local Von's has them, right inside the front door.
> Several different seasoned versions, AND they also have
> barbequed ribs. But the chicken is what I always smell.
>
> Like back in the good old days at Sears,
> the FRESH popcorn could be smelled from the parking lot!

I've never had one from Von's so I'll take your word for it, but so far in
my life, the only rotisserie chicken I buy is from Costco, I think they are
very good and an excellent value. The smell of fresh popcorn is very
enticing, but I hate the smell of microwave popcorn.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>
>> You know what smells amazing when you finally do make it to the
>> grocery section of Costco? Those fresh rotisserie chickens. And Costco
>> sells around 157,000 of them every day. They go for $4.99 a bird and
>> even Costco knows that's a deal. They have actually confessed that
>> they lose around $30-40 million per year by not increasing the
>> price—but with such a loyal following, it's worth it to them.
>>
>> Yep. I buy them too.

> They are excellent!
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> We just bought a small oven with a rotisserie and I cook chickens on it.
> They come out lovely))

Yes, I have a rotisserie and have cooked chickens on it, but sometimes I
don't want to bother with cooking, so I buy one from Costco.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 8:58 PM, Cheri wrote:

>> ==
>>
>> We just bought a small oven with a rotisserie and I cook chickens on
>> it. They come out lovely))

> Yes, I have a rotisserie and have cooked chickens on it, but sometimes I
> don't want to bother with cooking, so I buy one from Costco.
>
> Cheri

I don't shop at Costco as the closest one is about 50 miles. BJ's has
the same deal though but I never had the timing right to get one so we
could eat it reasonably hot. We've 30 miles from them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-19 9:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/19/2017 8:58 PM, Cheri wrote:

> I don't shop at Costco as the closest one is about 50 miles. BJ's has
> the same deal though but I never had the timing right to get one so we
> could eat it reasonably hot. We've 30 miles from them.

I have a rotisserie on my gas BBQ and we frequently cook small chickens
on it. They always turn out beautifully.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2017 8:58 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> We just bought a small oven with a rotisserie and I cook chickens on it.
>>> They come out lovely))

>> Yes, I have a rotisserie and have cooked chickens on it, but sometimes I
>> don't want to bother with cooking, so I buy one from Costco.
>>
>> Cheri

> I don't shop at Costco as the closest one is about 50 miles. BJ's has the
> same deal though but I never had the timing right to get one so we could
> eat it reasonably hot. We've 30 miles from them.

Yes, that would be a problem. I am about 5 miles from ours.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Newest Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 May 2017 17:57:12 -0700, "Cheri" > wrote:
>

>>I've never had one from Von's so I'll take your word for it, but so far in
>>my life, the only rotisserie chicken I buy is from Costco, I think they
>>are
>>very good and an excellent value. The smell of fresh popcorn is very
>>enticing, but I hate the smell of microwave popcorn.

> Microwaved popcorn is fine as LONG as it's not overcooked.

I do not like the smell of the pre-bagged stuff which hangs around for most
of the day, I like to pop mine in a paper bag, spray a bit of Pam on it,
salt, onion powder, and eat. No lingering smell at all to bother me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 9:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-19 9:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 5/19/2017 8:58 PM, Cheri wrote:

>> I don't shop at Costco as the closest one is about 50 miles. BJ's has
>> the same deal though but I never had the timing right to get one so we
>> could eat it reasonably hot. We've 30 miles from them.

> I have a rotisserie on my gas BBQ and we frequently cook small chickens
> on it. They always turn out beautifully.

I do that in the summer with the infrared burner. Everything comes out
good, pork roast, beet roast too. I don't do that sort of thing in the
cold though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>
>> You know what smells amazing when you finally do make it to the
>> grocery section of Costco? Those fresh rotisserie chickens. And Costco
>> sells around 157,000 of them every day. They go for $4.99 a bird and
>> even Costco knows that's a deal. They have actually confessed that
>> they lose around $30-40 million per year by not increasing the
>> price—but with such a loyal following, it's worth it to them.
>>
>> Yep. I buy them too.

> They are excellent!
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> We just bought a small oven with a rotisserie and I cook chickens on it.
> They come out lovely))

Yes, I have a rotisserie and have cooked chickens on it, but sometimes I
don't want to bother with cooking, so I buy one from Costco.

Cheri

===

And nothing wrong with that))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

There's no Costco in Wv.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2017 10:28 AM, wrote:
> There's no Costco in Wv.

You are allowed to buy from stores in surrounding states. How far are they?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 May 2017 18:49:59 -0700, The Newest Other Guy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 May 2017 17:57:12 -0700, "Cheri" > wrote:
>

>>I've never had one from Von's so I'll take your word for it, but so far in
>>my life, the only rotisserie chicken I buy is from Costco, I think they are
>>very good and an excellent value. The smell of fresh popcorn is very
>>enticing, but I hate the smell of microwave popcorn.

>Microwaved popcorn is fine as LONG as it's not overcooked.

Microwaved popcorn is fine if it's plain popping corn popped in one of
those plastic gizmos but packaged microwave popcorn smells disgusting,
stinks up the entire house, most workplace lunchrooms don't permit it.
I much prefer my air popper, then popped corn drizzled with real
melted butter. Packaged microwave popcorn is full of chemicals, fake
butter is disgusting.

those supermarket rotisserie chickens Don Wiss General Cooking 156 04-09-2016 08:29 PM
Why Costco might never raise prices on $4.99 chickens, $1.50 hot dogs Janet B General Cooking 173 10-06-2015 10:23 PM
chickens Somebody General Cooking 6 08-10-2012 01:53 AM
Costco Rotiss Chickens Dimitri General Cooking 116 30-01-2011 01:53 AM