Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What would you eat if you couldn't taste anything?

On Fri, 19 May 2017 11:18:55 -0400, jmcquown >
snip
>Thank you. I do think she needs to be drinking some of those
>nutritional drinks.
>
>Jill

why? You just go on and eat the same foods that you did before.
Stuff happens.
I just got back from Costco and my lunch was marinated artichoke
hearts and faux crab dipped in ketchup/horseradish sauce. I enjoyed
the mouth feel of everything. I could taste the vinegar in the chokes
and the ketchup/horseradish sauce with the krab..
She really shouldn't get into the habit of thinking that she needs
special supplemental foods. After surgery, particularly brain surgery
she is bound to be depressed and feeling sorry for herself (really, I
can say that because I have been there) She needs to get back into
normal habits as soon as possible or she will put herself back in the
hospital. Explain to her about the sweet, salt, sour kind of thing.
Encourage her to eat whatever strikes her fancy at any time of the
day. If she's in her 70's and just had surgery she doesn't need the
downer of being applauded for weight loss resulting from a life scary
episode. Apparently she doesn't even have to worry about cancer
coming back. I'd say she's good and should buck up.
Sorry. That was a sermon and I didn't mean to preach
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
> wrote in message

> What are you talking about, today is my birthday, I'm 74 and I'd

Happy Birthday, many more.

Cheri

==

Happy Birthday from me too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 2:33 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2017 11:18:55 -0400, jmcquown >
> snip
>> Thank you. I do think she needs to be drinking some of those
>> nutritional drinks.
>>
>> Jill

> why? You just go on and eat the same foods that you did before.
> Stuff happens.

I get the impression because she can't taste anything she's not really
eating. That's why the suggestion of Boost or Ensure nutritional drinks.

> I just got back from Costco and my lunch was marinated artichoke
> hearts and faux crab dipped in ketchup/horseradish sauce. I enjoyed
> the mouth feel of everything. I could taste the vinegar in the chokes
> and the ketchup/horseradish sauce with the krab..
> She really shouldn't get into the habit of thinking that she needs
> special supplemental foods. After surgery, particularly brain surgery
> she is bound to be depressed and feeling sorry for herself (really, I
> can say that because I have been there) She needs to get back into
> normal habits as soon as possible or she will put herself back in the
> hospital. Explain to her about the sweet, salt, sour kind of thing.
> Encourage her to eat whatever strikes her fancy at any time of the
> day. If she's in her 70's and just had surgery she doesn't need the
> downer of being applauded for weight loss resulting from a life scary
> episode. Apparently she doesn't even have to worry about cancer
> coming back. I'd say she's good and should buck up.
> Sorry. That was a sermon and I didn't mean to preach
> Janet US

I understand. She's very fortunate the tumor was benign.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> > wrote in message
>
> > What are you talking about, today is my birthday, I'm 74 and I'd

> Happy Birthday, many more.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Happy Birthday from me too.

Me too...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 4:17:38 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 8:46:07 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> > You have the right idea, Dave...I would add okra and asparagus to your list.
> >
> > Actually, I might eat ice cream because the cold and the texture...especially in
> > a shake...would feel good. Lol.
> >
> > N.

> What about if drinking it seemed more like drinking some cold wet chalk?
>
> John Kuthe...

That's what horchata is like. I like that stuff!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-19 4:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I understand. She's very fortunate the tumor was benign.

She still had to go through brain surgery. I few years ago I ran into a
former neighbour who had had a procedure where they had to go through
arteries in his brain to clear something out. He told me that when he
went in he kept thinking about what had happened to me when they tried
to clear a blocked coronary artery and pierced it. He was worried.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 6:02 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-19 4:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I understand. She's very fortunate the tumor was benign.
>>

> She still had to go through brain surgery. I few years ago I ran into a
> former neighbour who had had a procedure where they had to go through
> arteries in his brain to clear something out. He told me that when he
> went in he kept thinking about what had happened to me when they tried
> to clear a blocked coronary artery and pierced it. He was worried.

I'm concerned about her because I care. I get the impression she's
eating not much because she can't taste much of anything. She knows she
needs to eat but it's just for sustenance, no enjoyment in it. If
everything tastes like sand (her description) I can understand why she
might not be getting essential nutrition. Oh, and she also doesn't
enjoy cooking so she will take the path of least resistence.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 10:51:18 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> My neighbor recently had a brain tumor removed. Thankfully it was
>> benign. But since the surgery she can't taste anything. She did say
>> someone gave her some raspberries and she could taste those. It is
>> hopeful she will regain her sense of taste and smell. Meanwhile, she
>> has to eat but says everything tastes like sand.
>>
>> What would you eat if you couldn't taste much of anything? Someone I
>> know (not online, an actual person who didn't drop a burger on the
>> floor) said she should probably be drinking Ensure or Boost.
>>
>> I can't imagine not being able to taste anything. That's got to suck.
>>
>> Jill

> I've pretty much lost most of MY senses of smell and taste! Not all, just a lot. So I tend to over season, looking for that flavor! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

You've got that right. You lost your common sense, too when you made
that offer on the house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2017 9:13 PM, Alex wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:

>> I've pretty much lost most of MY senses of smell and taste! Not all,
>> just a lot. So I tend to over season, looking for that flavor! :-)
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> You've got that right. You lost your common sense, too when you made
> that offer on the house.

Really? What did you find when you inspected it? What were the comps?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 May 2017, cshenk wrote:

> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> My neighbor recently had a brain tumor removed. Thankfully it was
>> benign. But since the surgery she can't taste anything. She did say
>> someone gave her some raspberries and she could taste those. It is
>> hopeful she will regain her sense of taste and smell. Meanwhile, she
>> has to eat but says everything tastes like sand.
>>
>> What would you eat if you couldn't taste much of anything? Someone I
>> know (not online, an actual person who didn't drop a burger on the
>> floor) said she should probably be drinking Ensure or Boost.
>>
>> I can't imagine not being able to taste anything. That's got to suck.
>>
>> Jill

> I am sure I would be using Ensure in addition to other foods, to make
> sure my nutritional elements were ok, as I hopefully recovered.
> Meantime, I'd probably nibble crunchy things a lot for the mouth feel.

Have a relative who had a throat cancer, and after radiation, lost much of
his tastebud functioning. A lot of his taste has come back after many
years, but it was in phases; first salty, then sweet and finally bitter.
Food still tastes off to him, and he used to really enjoy eating, but if
nothing else, he lost weight and is in better shape now. He makes sure he
gets good nutrition, but some of the joy and pleasure of eating has been
lost for him.

Not sure how I'd manage if I lost my taste...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message news
On 5/19/2017 6:02 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-19 4:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I understand. She's very fortunate the tumor was benign.
>>

> She still had to go through brain surgery. I few years ago I ran into a
> former neighbour who had had a procedure where they had to go through
> arteries in his brain to clear something out. He told me that when he
> went in he kept thinking about what had happened to me when they tried
> to clear a blocked coronary artery and pierced it. He was worried.

I'm concerned about her because I care. I get the impression she's
eating not much because she can't taste much of anything. She knows she
needs to eat but it's just for sustenance, no enjoyment in it. If
everything tastes like sand (her description) I can understand why she
might not be getting essential nutrition. Oh, and she also doesn't
enjoy cooking so she will take the path of least resistence.

Jill

==

Poor woman(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-19 11:09 PM, JBurns wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2017 17:26:31 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> says...

>>> Frankly, I don't get my nose close enough to my pee to have to worry
>>> about that. I love asparagus.

>> So do I, and you don't need to be closer than the bathroom door to
>> know you just ate it.
>>
>> Janet UK

> Doesn't happen when I eat the fresh stuff but does with the canned
> product.
>
> Unfortunately beetroot goes straight through me. A couple of times I
> have thought I was dying!!

How about colour. For two days this week my urine was bright yellow,
almost orange. I thought about what might have caused it. I had had a
couple glasses of Rose's Grenadine. I had mixed an ounce or so with
water. It wasn't bad, so a couple hours later I had some more. Now I am
thinking either the pomegranate itself did it or there was a lot of red
dye in it.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/19/2017 9:13 PM, Alex wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:

>>> I've pretty much lost most of MY senses of smell and taste! Not all,
>>> just a lot. So I tend to over season, looking for that flavor! :-)
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> You've got that right. You lost your common sense, too when you made
>> that offer on the house.

> Really? What did you find when you inspected it? What were the comps?

John did his homework, established a reasonable price, and paid more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 May 2017 21:15:54 -0400, Alex > wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> You've got that right. You lost your common sense, too when you made
>>> that offer on the house.

>> Really? What did you find when you inspected it? What were the comps?

>John did his homework, established a reasonable price, and paid more.

You never start by bidding your final bid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 20 May 2017 21:15:54 -0400, Alex > wrote:
>
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Really? What did you find when you inspected it? What were the comps?

>> John did his homework, established a reasonable price, and paid more.

> You never start by bidding your final bid.

He posted that he was firm on that and countered with the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 May 2017 21:34:26 -0400, Alex > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>>> John did his homework, established a reasonable price, and paid more.

>> You never start by bidding your final bid.

>He posted that he was firm on that and countered with the same.

So?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alex" wrote in message

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 20 May 2017 21:15:54 -0400, Alex > wrote:
>
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Really? What did you find when you inspected it? What were the comps?

>> John did his homework, established a reasonable price, and paid more.

> You never start by bidding your final bid.

He posted that he was firm on that and countered with the same.

==

Why do you care?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> My neighbor recently had a brain tumor removed. Thankfully it was
> benign. But since the surgery she can't taste anything. She did say
> someone gave her some raspberries and she could taste those. It is
> hopeful she will regain her sense of taste and smell. Meanwhile, she
> has to eat but says everything tastes like sand.
>
> What would you eat if you couldn't taste much of anything? Someone I
> know (not online, an actual person who didn't drop a burger on the
> floor) said she should probably be drinking Ensure or Boost.
>
> I can't imagine not being able to taste anything. That's got to suck.
>
> Jill

Late reply, and I hope her sense of taste has improved in the interim.
I would eat ice cream (if gratification from eating was the only
factor). Other things that had nice temperatures and textures would
also be appealing. In reality, though, I would concentrate on optimal
nutrition.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 00:40:35 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> My neighbor recently had a brain tumor removed. Thankfully it was
>> benign. But since the surgery she can't taste anything. She did say
>> someone gave her some raspberries and she could taste those. It is
>> hopeful she will regain her sense of taste and smell. Meanwhile, she
>> has to eat but says everything tastes like sand.
>>
>> What would you eat if you couldn't taste much of anything? Someone I
>> know (not online, an actual person who didn't drop a burger on the
>> floor) said she should probably be drinking Ensure or Boost.
>>
>> I can't imagine not being able to taste anything. That's got to suck.
>>
>> Jill

>Late reply, and I hope her sense of taste has improved in the interim.
>I would eat ice cream (if gratification from eating was the only
>factor). Other things that had nice temperatures and textures would
>also be appealing. In reality, though, I would concentrate on optimal
>nutrition.

I'd have wine, after the third glass no one could tell luxury wine
from box wine.

Couldn't believe it.... Evelyn Diabetic 7 01-10-2009 06:49 PM
If you couldn't get fat eating it... Andy[_15_] General Cooking 15 21-04-2009 10:34 PM
I couldn't do it! Julie Bove Diabetic 0 15-11-2008 05:16 AM
I couldn't do it. Julie Bove Diabetic 3 03-01-2008 12:57 AM
[OT] I am sorry - I couldn't help myself ! st.helier Wine 6 06-10-2004 05:21 AM