Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kentucky Derby Day

At the Pub/Club, the Derby Specials:

https://s27.postimg.org/5hgdxs99f/derby.jpg

Ah ha! A Hot Brown! A hot open faced turkey sandwich with bacon and
mornay sauce. Pumpernickle? Shouldn't it be thick cut (aka Texas)
toast? Ah, yes. Still served that way:

http://www.brownhotel.com/dining-hot-brown

I don't care much about the Kentucky Derby. Do any of you watch it?

I remember when Secretariat won. in the 1970's. AFAIK, still the
fastest horse on record. But that's about all I know about it.

I have no idea which horses are running tomorrow. I don't watch it
unless there is abosolutely nothing else to do.

I do know I don't like bourbon. Not even if you fill the glass with
ice, sugar and mint and pretend to have a US Southern accent. LOL

And for Gary's information, if I was eating a Hot Brown I would *not* be
drinking anything other than water.

I've got nothing special planned for Derby Day. Might go to the grocery
store if I can get over this pesky head cold. I am not planning to make
or buy a Hot Brown Sandwich.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 May 2017 22:14:56 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>At the Pub/Club, the Derby Specials:
>
>https://s27.postimg.org/5hgdxs99f/derby.jpg
>
>Ah ha! A Hot Brown! A hot open faced turkey sandwich with bacon and
>mornay sauce. Pumpernickle? Shouldn't it be thick cut (aka Texas)
>toast? Ah, yes. Still served that way:
>
>http://www.brownhotel.com/dining-hot-brown
>
>I don't care much about the Kentucky Derby. Do any of you watch it?
>
>I remember when Secretariat won. in the 1970's. AFAIK, still the
>fastest horse on record. But that's about all I know about it.
>
>I have no idea which horses are running tomorrow. I don't watch it
>unless there is abosolutely nothing else to do.
>
>I do know I don't like bourbon. Not even if you fill the glass with
>ice, sugar and mint and pretend to have a US Southern accent. LOL
>
>And for Gary's information, if I was eating a Hot Brown I would *not* be
>drinking anything other than water.
>
>I've got nothing special planned for Derby Day. Might go to the grocery
>store if I can get over this pesky head cold. I am not planning to make
>or buy a Hot Brown Sandwich.
>
>Jill

With a head cold it's a home made chicken soup day, with egg noodles.,
carrots, celery, and naturally garlic and dill. Bourbon is the one
booze I detest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2017 10:14 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> At the Pub/Club, the Derby Specials:
>
> https://s27.postimg.org/5hgdxs99f/derby.jpg
>
> Ah ha! A Hot Brown! A hot open faced turkey sandwich with bacon and
> mornay sauce. Pumpernickle? Shouldn't it be thick cut (aka Texas)
> toast? Ah, yes. Still served that way:
>
> http://www.brownhotel.com/dining-hot-brown
>
> I don't care much about the Kentucky Derby. Do any of you watch it?
>
> I remember when Secretariat won. in the 1970's. AFAIK, still the
> fastest horse on record. But that's about all I know about it.
>
> I have no idea which horses are running tomorrow. I don't watch it
> unless there is abosolutely nothing else to do.
>
> I do know I don't like bourbon. Not even if you fill the glass with
> ice, sugar and mint and pretend to have a US Southern accent. LOL
>
> And for Gary's information, if I was eating a Hot Brown I would *not* be
> drinking anything other than water.
>
> I've got nothing special planned for Derby Day. Might go to the grocery
> store if I can get over this pesky head cold. I am not planning to make
> or buy a Hot Brown Sandwich.
>
> Jill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ke...t_and_Depraved

Thompson's essay is hilarious and worth reading.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 May 2017 22:27:07 -0400, wrote:

>On Fri, 5 May 2017 22:14:56 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>At the Pub/Club, the Derby Specials:

https://s27.postimg.org/5hgdxs99f/derby.jpg

>>Ah ha! A Hot Brown! A hot open faced turkey sandwich with bacon and
>>mornay sauce. Pumpernickle? Shouldn't it be thick cut (aka Texas)
>>toast? Ah, yes. Still served that way:
>>
>>http://www.brownhotel.com/dining-hot-brown
>>
>>I don't care much about the Kentucky Derby. Do any of you watch it?
>>
>>I remember when Secretariat won. in the 1970's. AFAIK, still the
>>fastest horse on record. But that's about all I know about it.
>>
>>I have no idea which horses are running tomorrow. I don't watch it
>>unless there is abosolutely nothing else to do.
>>
>>I do know I don't like bourbon. Not even if you fill the glass with
>>ice, sugar and mint and pretend to have a US Southern accent. LOL
>>
>>And for Gary's information, if I was eating a Hot Brown I would *not* be
>>drinking anything other than water.
>>
>>I've got nothing special planned for Derby Day. Might go to the grocery
>>store if I can get over this pesky head cold. I am not planning to make
>>or buy a Hot Brown Sandwich.
>>
>>Jill

>With a head cold it's a home made chicken soup day, with egg noodles.,
>carrots, celery, and naturally garlic and dill. Bourbon is the one
>booze I detest.

Yes, that's an interesting exercise. Let's all start ending our posts
with a random unrelated statement. Quail eggs are much smaller than
chicken eggs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2017 10:14 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I have no idea which horses are running tomorrow. I don't watch it
> unless there is abosolutely nothing else to do.
>
> I do know I don't like bourbon. Not even if you fill the glass with
> ice, sugar and mint and pretend to have a US Southern accent. LOL
>
> And for Gary's information, if I was eating a Hot Brown I would *not* be
> drinking anything other than water.
>
> I've got nothing special planned for Derby Day. Might go to the grocery
> store if I can get over this pesky head cold. I am not planning to make
> or buy a Hot Brown Sandwich.
>
> Jill

I've watched the race, but not the pre-race goings on.l I have no
interest. I do like bourbon though. In summer when we have fresh mint
I will make a julep or two in the summer.

This year we're not at home and would not make a derby dinner anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2017 10:14 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I don't care much about the Kentucky Derby. Do any of you watch it?
>
> I remember when Secretariat won. in the 1970's. AFAIK, still the
> fastest horse on record. But that's about all I know about it.
>
> I have no idea which horses are running tomorrow. I don't watch it
> unless there is abosolutely nothing else to do

I do watch those final 3 races when I remember to. I did watch all 3 in
the 70's when Secretariat won the triple crown.

I actually interrupted my lunch (nacho deluxe) just to say before it's
too late. On CMT channel today is the movie about Secretariat. It's a
good one even if you don't care for horse racing. It's a true story
about hi life from birth to winning the triple crown. I highly recommend
watching.

I've seen it before but I'll watch again (CMT at 2:30 - 5:30 eastern).
And right after that it will be almost time to watch this year's
kentucky derby race.

This year's popular horse is Patches, the one-eyed horse. Not expected
to win but overcome the disability good enough to qualify the race. Odds
on that one is 30-1. Bet on patches and make some big money if he wins.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/04/sp...ne-eyed-horse/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 May 2017 14:06:45 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/5/2017 10:14 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I don't care much about the Kentucky Derby. Do any of you watch it?
>>
>> I remember when Secretariat won. in the 1970's. AFAIK, still the
>> fastest horse on record. But that's about all I know about it.
>>
>> I have no idea which horses are running tomorrow. I don't watch it
>> unless there is abosolutely nothing else to do

>I do watch those final 3 races when I remember to. I did watch all 3 in
>the 70's when Secretariat won the triple crown.
>
>I actually interrupted my lunch (nacho deluxe)

With a nice glass of water?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2017 2:10 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 6 May 2017 14:06:45 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> On 5/5/2017 10:14 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I don't care much about the Kentucky Derby. Do any of you watch it?
>>>
>>> I remember when Secretariat won. in the 1970's. AFAIK, still the
>>> fastest horse on record. But that's about all I know about it.
>>>
>>> I have no idea which horses are running tomorrow. I don't watch it
>>> unless there is abosolutely nothing else to do

>> I do watch those final 3 races when I remember to. I did watch all 3 in
>> the 70's when Secretariat won the triple crown.
>>
>> I actually interrupted my lunch (nacho deluxe)

> With a nice glass of water?

lol. odds are 30-1 that it would be wine. heheh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 May 2017 15:01:32 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/6/2017 2:10 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> I do watch those final 3 races when I remember to. I did watch all 3 in
>>> the 70's when Secretariat won the triple crown.
>>>
>>> I actually interrupted my lunch (nacho deluxe)

>> With a nice glass of water?
>>

>lol. odds are 30-1 that it would be wine. heheh

Um, you're supposed to have this:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...t-julep-234757
What time does the race begin?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> I don't care much about the Kentucky Derby. Do any of you watch it?
> Jill

Oh yeah, I love the Kentucky Derby and all the build up, hats etc.,
listening to/watching it now. I have picked *Irish War Cry*, never picked a
winner yet though.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 1:06:58 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> I actually interrupted my lunch (nacho deluxe) just to say before it's
> too late. On CMT channel today is the movie about Secretariat. It's a
> good one even if you don't care for horse racing. It's a true story
> about hi life from birth to winning the triple crown. I highly recommend
> watching.

It is a good movie but it's not quite true. The Chenery's were not
about to 'loose the farm.' The previous year of Secretariat's win
they had won the Kentucky derby, so they weren't exactly hurting
for money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 4:18:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> It is a good movie but it's not quite true. The Chenery's were not
> about to 'loose the farm.' The previous year of Secretariat's win
> they had won the Kentucky derby, so they weren't exactly hurting
> for money.

Make that 'lose' not loose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I thought Derby horses were eligible to run the race only once because of the
age requirement.

I loved the Secretariat movie, and also one called "Dreamer," with one of the Fannings,
I think...Dakota? I also cried when Barabo had to be put down. I am a fan
of the Derby, and the jockeys and the fashion. I don't have a pick in this year's race.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 5:40:30 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:

> I thought Derby horses were eligible to run the race only once because of the
> age requirement.
>
> N.

If I'm not mistaken it's a race for 3 year olds, but don't
quote me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 1:59:47 PM UTC-7, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news >
> > I don't care much about the Kentucky Derby. Do any of you watch it?
> > Jill

> Oh yeah, I love the Kentucky Derby and all the build up, hats etc.,
> listening to/watching it now. I have picked *Irish War Cry*, never picked a
> winner yet though.
>
> Cheri

My favorite Derby Day treat. Kentucky Derby Pie.

http://hizzoners.com/index.php/south...ucky-derby-pie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 1:59:47 PM UTC-7, Cheri wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>> > I don't care much about the Kentucky Derby. Do any of you watch it?
>> > Jill

>> Oh yeah, I love the Kentucky Derby and all the build up, hats etc.,
>> listening to/watching it now. I have picked *Irish War Cry*, never picked
>> winner yet though.
>>
>> Cheri

> My favorite Derby Day treat. Kentucky Derby Pie.
>
> http://hizzoners.com/index.php/south...ucky-derby-pie

That is excellent looking!

Cheri

Derby Day Pie sf[_9_] General Cooking 5 25-11-2011 09:09 PM
Kentucky Derby Pie MOMPGRAM Recipes (moderated) 0 04-07-2008 10:23 PM
Kentucky Derby Andy[_2_] General Cooking 106 11-05-2008 04:14 PM
Joan's Derby Pie Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 11-10-2006 11:46 PM
In Honor of the Kentucky Derby aem General Cooking 1 08-05-2006 08:34 PM