Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight (5/5/2017) Will Be

A petite beef filet (4 oz. steak, PRIME beef), pan seared in a little
butter and olive oil in a small cast iron skillet. Simply seasoned with
a little S&P. I'm thinking steamed green beans as a side.

I woke up with a head cold, so I really don't feel like doing a lot of
cooking today. This will be an easy and tasty dinner. Assuming I can
still taste much of anything tonight...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 11:55:14 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> A petite beef filet (4 oz. steak, PRIME beef), pan seared in a little
> butter and olive oil in a small cast iron skillet. Simply seasoned with
> a little S&P. I'm thinking steamed green beans as a side.
>
> I woke up with a head cold, so I really don't feel like doing a lot of
> cooking today. This will be an easy and tasty dinner. Assuming I can
> still taste much of anything tonight...
>
> Jill

I've got leftover chicken piccata and grilled asparagus.
Voila! Dinner.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 May 2017 11:55:01 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>A petite beef filet (4 oz. steak, PRIME beef), pan seared in a little
>butter and olive oil in a small cast iron skillet. Simply seasoned with
>a little S&P. I'm thinking steamed green beans as a side.
>
>I woke up with a head cold, so I really don't feel like doing a lot of
>cooking today. This will be an easy and tasty dinner. Assuming I can
>still taste much of anything tonight...
>
>Jill

I'll be doing a King Ranch Chicken Casserole. I've never made one
before but I had a bunch of cooked chicken I wanted to use up (left
over from cooking a chicken for Chicken Tortilla Soup the other day.)
I went looking through my recipe file and found two recipes for King
Ranch Chicken casserole I'm leaning toward the first recipe because
I am just tired today. Normally I would enjoy the fuss of the second
recipe but just not today.

King Ranch Chicken

1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups or more chopped cooked chicken (great use for leftover chicken
or turkey)
1 can kernel corn, drained
1 can cream of chicken soup*
1 can cream of mushroom soup*
4 ounce can diced green chilies
15 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 Tablespoon ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
12 - 14 corn tortillas (six inch)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Place oil in large skillet. Add onions and saute over medium heat
until onions are lightly browned. Add chicken, cream soups, chilies,
tomatoes, corn and all seasonings. Stir and cook over medium heat
until bubbly.

Mix the two cheeses together with the chopped cilantro. Toss around
till well mixed.

Tear tortillas into small pieces. Place 1/3 of pieces in 9×13 inch
dish. Top with 1/3 of chicken mixture and 1/3 of cheese mixture.
Repeat twice more so that you have three layers ending with the cheese
mixture.

Bake at 350 from 30 to 45 minutes, or until bubbly and browned around
the edges.

OR

King Ranch Chicken
Recipe adapted from American Century

--
Ingredients
" 2 tablespoon butter
" 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
" 1/4 teaspoon ground hot red pepper
" 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
" 2 tablespoons flour
" 3/4 cup chicken broth
" 1/2 cup milk
" 2 tablespoons sour cream
" 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
"
Filling:
" 1 tablespoon butter
" 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
" 1/2 medium green bell peeper, cored, seeded, and chopped
" 1/4 cup chopped roasted green chilies
" 6 ounces mushrooms, wiped clean and finely chopped
" 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
" 2 tablespoons minced pimiento
"
Tortillas:
" Vegetable oil for frying
" 8 corn tortillas
"
Chicken and other Layers:
" 3 cups diced cooked chicken
" 11/2 cups coarsely shredded mild cheddar cheese
" 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
" 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 11 by 7 by 2-inch baking dish with
nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Sauce: Melt butter in medium
heavy skillet over moderate heat. Add garlic, red pepper, and cumin
and stir-fry 1 minute. Blend in flour, add broth and milk, and cook,
stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth -- about 3 minutes.
Stir in sour cream, salt, and black pepper to taste; set aside.
Filling: Melt butter in large heavy skillet, over moderate heat. Add
onion, green pepper, green chilies, mushrooms, tomatoes, and pimiento,
and cook, stirring often, until vegetables soften and flavors meld-10
to 15 minutes. Tortillas: Pour oil to depth of 1/2 inch in small heavy
skillet, set over moderate heat, and heat until ripples appear on
skillet bottom. Holding tortillas by tongs, dip one by one into oil
just long enough to soften, 5 to 10 seconds. Drain on paper towels.
To Layer: Arrange half of tortillas in bottom of prepared baking dish,
then build up layers this way, distributing each evenly: 1/2 chicken
and 1/3 sauce; 1/2 each filling, cheese, olives, and scallions, and
1/2 remaining tortillas, chicken, filling, cheese, olives, scallions,
and finally, remaining sauce. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly- about 30
to 35 minutes. Serve at once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2017 11:55 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> A petite beef filet (4 oz. steak, PRIME beef), pan seared in a little
> butter and olive oil in a small cast iron skillet. Simply seasoned with
> a little S&P. I'm thinking steamed green beans as a side.
>
> I woke up with a head cold, so I really don't feel like doing a lot of
> cooking today. This will be an easy and tasty dinner. Assuming I can
> still taste much of anything tonight...

sounds pretty good with me except I would want a potato in some form on
that plate. Just my preference least Ophy try to scold me again for
stating my own preference.

Hope you feel better tomorrow, Jill. Hot showers always help and you
don't have to worry about pairing them with the proper wine. heheheh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 May 2017 16:35:45 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/5/2017 11:55 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> A petite beef filet (4 oz. steak, PRIME beef), pan seared in a little
>> butter and olive oil in a small cast iron skillet. Simply seasoned with
>> a little S&P. I'm thinking steamed green beans as a side.
>>
>> I woke up with a head cold, so I really don't feel like doing a lot of
>> cooking today. This will be an easy and tasty dinner. Assuming I can
>> still taste much of anything tonight...

>sounds pretty good with me except I would want a potato in some form on
>that plate. Just my preference least Ophy try to scold me again for
>stating my own preference.
>
>Hope you feel better tomorrow, Jill. Hot showers always help and you
>don't have to worry about pairing them with the proper wine. heheheh

Why does it annoy you so much that many people enjoy wine with their
dinner? (just curious)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2017 5:00 PM, Bruce wrote:
> Gary wrote:

>> Hope you feel better tomorrow, Jill. Hot showers always help and you
>> don't have to worry about pairing them with the proper wine. heheheh

> Why does it annoy you so much that many people enjoy wine with their
> dinner? (just curious)

It doesn't annoy me at all. People say they like to pair a certain wine
with different food. On an equal (I thought) stance, I mention that I
only like 'nature's champagne' with my food.

I guess it only works one way. Alcoholics often are very defensive
though. And I'm just teasing people before you all get mad again. Sheez
what a group this is. Very little sense of humor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-05 5:27 PM, Gary wrote:

>> Why does it annoy you so much that many people enjoy wine with their
>> dinner? (just curious)

> It doesn't annoy me at all. People say they like to pair a certain wine
> with different food. On an equal (I thought) stance, I mention that I
> only like 'nature's champagne' with my food.
>
> I guess it only works one way. Alcoholics often are very defensive
> though. And I'm just teasing people before you all get mad again. Sheez
> what a group this is. Very little sense of humor.

So..... if someone enjoys a glass of wine with their meal they are an
alcoholic?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2017 5:27 PM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/5/2017 5:00 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

>>> Hope you feel better tomorrow, Jill. Hot showers always help and you
>>> don't have to worry about pairing them with the proper wine. heheheh

>> Why does it annoy you so much that many people enjoy wine with their
>> dinner? (just curious)

> It doesn't annoy me at all. People say they like to pair a certain wine
> with different food. On an equal (I thought) stance, I mention that I
> only like 'nature's champagne' with my food.
>
> I guess it only works one way. Alcoholics often are very defensive
> though. And I'm just teasing people before you all get mad again. Sheez
> what a group this is. Very little sense of humor.

You said it in jest but . . .
http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/bes...air-baked-eggs
https://travellingcorkscrew.com.au/b...ure-on-a-diet/

Enjoy your breakfast. No OJ needed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 May 2017 17:27:49 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/5/2017 5:00 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

>>> Hope you feel better tomorrow, Jill. Hot showers always help and you
>>> don't have to worry about pairing them with the proper wine. heheheh

>> Why does it annoy you so much that many people enjoy wine with their
>> dinner? (just curious)

>It doesn't annoy me at all. People say they like to pair a certain wine
>with different food. On an equal (I thought) stance, I mention that I
>only like 'nature's champagne' with my food.
>
>I guess it only works one way. Alcoholics often are very defensive
>though. And I'm just teasing people before you all get mad again. Sheez
>what a group this is. Very little sense of humor.

There you go again, calling people who enjoy wine with their food
alcoholics. I guess that's your sense of humour acting up again
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2017 4:35 PM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/5/2017 11:55 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> A petite beef filet (4 oz. steak, PRIME beef), pan seared in a little
>> butter and olive oil in a small cast iron skillet. Simply seasoned with
>> a little S&P. I'm thinking steamed green beans as a side.
>>
>> I woke up with a head cold, so I really don't feel like doing a lot of
>> cooking today. This will be an easy and tasty dinner. Assuming I can
>> still taste much of anything tonight...

> sounds pretty good with me except I would want a potato in some form on
> that plate. Just my preference least Ophy try to scold me again for
> stating my own preference.

I didn't happen to have any potatoes. I get that you have a much larger
appetite than I do. Fact is, even without a cold I don't have a huge
appetite.

> Hope you feel better tomorrow, Jill. Hot showers always help and you
> don't have to worry about pairing them with the proper wine. heheheh

Never (ever, ever) drink wine in the shower! LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2017 6:02 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 5-May-2017, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> A petite beef filet (4 oz. steak, PRIME beef), pan seared in a little
>> butter and olive oil in a small cast iron skillet. Simply seasoned with
>> a little S&P. I'm thinking steamed green beans as a side.
>>
>> I woke up with a head cold, so I really don't feel like doing a lot of
>> cooking today. This will be an easy and tasty dinner. Assuming I can
>> still taste much of anything tonight...
>>
>> Jill

> I'm usually not one to partake in "fake" ethnic celebrations; fake in the
> sense that "I ain't one". I don't have corned beef and cabbage on St.
> Patrick's Day and I don't normally have Mexican food on Cinco today-o. But,
> I had planned to have tamales this week and didn't get around to it until
> today. Dinner is garden salad, tamales with red chile sauce and the poblano
> rajas leftovers from earlier in the week. I did not make the tamales; they
> were bought frozen from a local producer who makes them in the traditional
> way, wraps in corn husks and freezes. To prepare, I simply steam them,
> remove the hust and serve with chile sauce and creme on the side.

I only noticed it's Cinco De Mayo because it says so on the calendar.

Your dinner sounds wonderful! I love tamales. Have only made them once
and never, ever again. Too much work even though they were delicious.
I buy them occasionally from a local shop. Down here they wrap them in
banana leaves rather than corn husks.

As for "fake" ethnic celebrations, I nearly took a corned beef brisket
out of the freezer... LOL Already have the cabbage. But no, tonight
was simply a small steak and green beans.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 May 2017 21:12:06 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/5/2017 6:02 PM, l not -l wrote:
>> On 5-May-2017, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> A petite beef filet (4 oz. steak, PRIME beef), pan seared in a little
>>> butter and olive oil in a small cast iron skillet. Simply seasoned with
>>> a little S&P. I'm thinking steamed green beans as a side.
>>>
>>> I woke up with a head cold, so I really don't feel like doing a lot of
>>> cooking today. This will be an easy and tasty dinner. Assuming I can
>>> still taste much of anything tonight...
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I'm usually not one to partake in "fake" ethnic celebrations; fake in the
>> sense that "I ain't one". I don't have corned beef and cabbage on St.
>> Patrick's Day and I don't normally have Mexican food on Cinco today-o. But,
>> I had planned to have tamales this week and didn't get around to it until
>> today. Dinner is garden salad, tamales with red chile sauce and the poblano
>> rajas leftovers from earlier in the week. I did not make the tamales; they
>> were bought frozen from a local producer who makes them in the traditional
>> way, wraps in corn husks and freezes. To prepare, I simply steam them,
>> remove the hust and serve with chile sauce and creme on the side.
>>

>I only noticed it's Cinco De Mayo because it says so on the calendar.
>
>Your dinner sounds wonderful! I love tamales. Have only made them once
>and never, ever again. Too much work even though they were delicious.
>I buy them occasionally from a local shop. Down here they wrap them in
>banana leaves rather than corn husks.

All through Central America they use banana leaves for tamales and all
kinds of cooking, rare to see corn husks used. In fact they use
banana leaves as place mats and serve food directly on the leaves.
Many foods are grilled wrapped in banana leaves, especially sea food.
In some places beverages arrive in coconut shells, or even in
hollowed pineapple shells

>As for "fake" ethnic celebrations, I nearly took a corned beef brisket
>out of the freezer... LOL Already have the cabbage. But no, tonight
>was simply a small steak and green beans.
>
>Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri 05 May 2017 06:12:06p, jmcquown told us...

>>> I'm usually not one to partake in "fake" ethnic celebrations;
>>> fake in the sense that "I ain't one". I don't have corned beef
>>> and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day and I don't normally have
>>> Mexican food on Cinco today-o. But, I had planned to have
>>> tamales this week and didn't get around to it until today.
>>> Dinner is garden salad, tamales with red chile sauce and the
>>> poblano rajas leftovers from earlier in the week. I did not make
>>> the tamales; they were bought frozen from a local producer who
>>> makes them in the traditional way, wraps in corn husks and
>>> freezes. To prepare, I simply steam them, remove the hust and
>>> serve with chile sauce and creme on the side.
>>>

>> I only noticed it's Cinco De Mayo because it says so on the
>> calendar.
>>
>> Your dinner sounds wonderful! I love tamales. Have only made
>> them once and never, ever again. Too much work even though they
>> were delicious. I buy them occasionally from a local shop. Down
>> here they wrap them in banana leaves rather than corn husks.
>>
>> As for "fake" ethnic celebrations, I nearly took a corned beef
>> brisket out of the freezer... LOL Already have the cabbage. But
>> no, tonight was simply a small steak and green beans.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Cinco de Mayo has a huge presence in central Arizona due to the large
> Hispanic population here. There are parades, festivals, lots of food
> stalls,etc. However, since I retired, that's one day when I almost
> never go out. Way too many people to deal with. I have good sources
> for a wide variety of Mexican foods any day of the week. The sister
> of a former co-worker keeps me supplied in tamales.
>
> I always buy several corned beef briskets around St. Patrick's Day as
> they are not as plentiful during the rest of the year. Occasionally
> I will go out for a corned beef and cacbbage dinner for St. Pat's but
> I usually make it at home.

I have never eaten out for St. Pat's. Always make it at home. Of
course you got the point... it doesn't have to be March 17th to enjoy
corned beef brisket. Or Cinco de Mayo for Mexican food.

I don't have a ready supply of tamales. Wish I did! At the local shops
it's hit or miss. And, as I said, I've made them before and it was way
too much work. They turned out great, and I'm glad I did it. But it
was a two day process. Once was enough!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 5/5/2017 6:02 PM, l not -l wrote:

>> I'm usually not one to partake in "fake" ethnic celebrations; fake in the
>> sense that "I ain't one". I don't have corned beef and cabbage on St.
>> Patrick's Day and I don't normally have Mexican food on Cinco today-o. But,
>> I had planned to have tamales this week and didn't get around to it until
>> today. Dinner is garden salad, tamales with red chile sauce and the poblano
>> rajas leftovers from earlier in the week. I did not make the tamales; they
>> were bought frozen from a local producer who makes them in the traditional
>> way, wraps in corn husks and freezes. To prepare, I simply steam them,
>> remove the hust and serve with chile sauce and creme on the side.
>>

>I only noticed it's Cinco De Mayo because it says so on the calendar.
>
>Your dinner sounds wonderful! I love tamales. Have only made them once
>and never, ever again. Too much work even though they were delicious.
>I buy them occasionally from a local shop. Down here they wrap them in
>banana leaves rather than corn husks.
>
>As for "fake" ethnic celebrations, I nearly took a corned beef brisket
>out of the freezer... LOL Already have the cabbage. But no, tonight
>was simply a small steak and green beans.

When you want an ethnic celebration, you should deep-fry a Mars bar.
Haggis ice cream for desert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 May 2017 12:51:23 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 05 May 2017 20:01:06 -0300, wrote:
>
>>>RRT000119197.
>>>

>>On Sat, 06 May 2017 07:56:33 +1000, Bruce >
>>wrote:

>>>There you go again, calling people who enjoy wine with their food
>>>alcoholics. I guess that's your sense of humour acting up again

>>Gary, I enjoy a glass of wine, even without food, but I am not an
>>alcoholic

>I guess we didn't pick up on his joking again I know what he needs
>though. I big glass of American red wine with his next dinner.

Yeah, what's the word... Thunderbird!
http://www.drunkard.com/whats-the-word-thunderbird/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 4:59:23 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> Yeah, what's the word... Thunderbird!
> http://www.drunkard.com/whats-the-word-thunderbird/

T-bird's success is due to it being a direct hit for a certain target group with most discriminating tastes i.e., they insist that their wine have a maximum wine content of 86%. The main problem with T-bird is that you're liable to get whacked over the head and mugged with a wine bottle (empty, of course) a few seconds after you step onto the mean streets of the areas that sell this classic American product. Not to worry though, one has options in regard to preserving one's health, retaining a semblance of wine connoisseurship, and the God given right to have a healthy buzz-on occationally. As it goes, the advent of self-driving cars will do wonders in getting these folks out of their homes and into the cool night air.

https://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/4/...artini-negroni
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 12:54:39 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 4:59:23 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, what's the word... Thunderbird!
> > http://www.drunkard.com/whats-the-word-thunderbird/

> T-bird's success is due to it being a direct hit for a certain target group
> with most discriminating tastes i.e., they insist that their wine have a
> maximum wine content of 86%. The main problem with T-bird is that you're
> liable to get whacked over the head and mugged with a wine bottle (empty, of
> course) a few seconds after you step onto the mean streets of the areas that
> sell this classic American product.

I'll have to check, but I'm 90% sure I can get Thunderbird at my usual
grocery store on the not-so-mean streets of small-town Michigan.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 May 2017 07:39:50 -0300, wrote:

>On Sat, 06 May 2017 12:53:34 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 5 May 2017 21:12:06 -0400, jmcquown >
>>wrote:

>>>I only noticed it's Cinco De Mayo because it says so on the calendar.
>>>
>>>Your dinner sounds wonderful! I love tamales. Have only made them once
>>>and never, ever again. Too much work even though they were delicious.
>>>I buy them occasionally from a local shop. Down here they wrap them in
>>>banana leaves rather than corn husks.
>>>
>>>As for "fake" ethnic celebrations, I nearly took a corned beef brisket
>>>out of the freezer... LOL Already have the cabbage. But no, tonight
>>>was simply a small steak and green beans.

>>When you want an ethnic celebration, you should deep-fry a Mars bar.
>>Haggis ice cream for desert.

>When across the Pond I actually tried one of those deep fried Mars
>bars - can't imagine who invented them - one bite was enough!

Yes, I already find them too rich when they haven't been fried. Let
alone when they have.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2017 12:54 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 4:59:23 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, what's the word... Thunderbird!
>> http://www.drunkard.com/whats-the-word-thunderbird/

> T-bird's success is due to it being a direct hit for a certain target group with most discriminating tastes i.e., they insist that their wine have a maximum wine content of 86%. The main problem with T-bird is that you're liable to get whacked over the head and mugged with a wine bottle (empty, of course) a few seconds after you step onto the mean streets of the areas that sell this classic American product.

Thanks for the information. Based on your presentation I'm switching to
Night Train Express.
http://bumwine.com/nighttrain.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-06, l not -l > wrote:

> As you say, they are a lot of work and I am glad to let someone else
> earn a living making them..

Agree.

I helped my step-mom's sister (both CA born Mexicans) make tamales. I
was shocked to see the sister put so little meat in her tamales. I
thought that trick was only sprung on gringos so mamacita could earn
some extra jingles.

Turns out they make 'em that way fer everyone. A whole pot full of
steamed tamales, each about 2 bites. I prefer a tad more meat in
mine. BTW, I can find corn husks, hereabouts, but nary a banana leaf
fer a hundred miles.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-06, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Thanks for the information. Based on your presentation I'm switching to
> Night Train Express.
> http://bumwine.com/nighttrain.html

I grew up in Modesto, so am familiar with cheap E&J wines. When I was
a kid, we usta find empty cases of Gallo sauterne bottles abandoned in
our local orchards. Whole cases of those empty bottles (1 pt fer
$.87USD?) I figured they were "acquired" from the E&J bottling plant
fer a Friday night celebration.

OTOH, I was unaware Night Train was an E&J product. Thunderbird, yes.
I've even partaken of Thunderbird mixed with grape Kool-Aid. Take my
word, it only makes it worse! Anyone up fer Mad Dog? I'm currently
enjoying a glass of Wild Turkey while playing Whiskey Before Breakfast
on my clawhammer banjo.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-06 1:39 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-05-06, l not -l > wrote:
>
>> As you say, they are a lot of work and I am glad to let someone else
>> earn a living making them..

> Agree.
>
> I helped my step-mom's sister (both CA born Mexicans) make tamales. I
> was shocked to see the sister put so little meat in her tamales. I
> thought that trick was only sprung on gringos so mamacita could earn
> some extra jingles.
>
> Turns out they make 'em that way fer everyone. A whole pot full of
> steamed tamales, each about 2 bites. I prefer a tad more meat in
> mine. BTW, I can find corn husks, hereabouts, but nary a banana leaf
> fer a hundred miles.

This is not the sort of place where you can expect to find a lot of
Mexican restaurants. There are lots of places that have various Mexican
items on the menu. I have had quesdillas a few times and they were
always skimpy on the meat. Earlier this week we went to a coffee house
in a nearby city that sells them. My wife ordered one. I did not because
I wanted something more substantial. When hers came I was amazed at how
much meat there was. I had ordered a chicken mango wrap and was
delightfully surprised to find there was a lot more meat and a lot more
mango that I had expected.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 2:22:09 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-06 1:39 PM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2017-05-06, l not -l > wrote:
> >
> >> As you say, they are a lot of work and I am glad to let someone else
> >> earn a living making them..

> > Agree.
> >
> > I helped my step-mom's sister (both CA born Mexicans) make tamales. I
> > was shocked to see the sister put so little meat in her tamales. I
> > thought that trick was only sprung on gringos so mamacita could earn
> > some extra jingles.
> >
> > Turns out they make 'em that way fer everyone. A whole pot full of
> > steamed tamales, each about 2 bites. I prefer a tad more meat in
> > mine. BTW, I can find corn husks, hereabouts, but nary a banana leaf
> > fer a hundred miles.

> This is not the sort of place where you can expect to find a lot of
> Mexican restaurants. There are lots of places that have various Mexican
> items on the menu. I have had quesdillas a few times and they were
> always skimpy on the meat.

I always make my quesadillas with no meat. There's plenty of
protein in the cheese. I never order them in restaurants.

Flour tortilla with cheese (Kraft pepper jack) melted onto it,
garnished with salsa and shredded lettuce (usually Romaine, because
that's what I have on hand) and folded over. Once in a great while
I'll put yogurt or sour cream on it, or sprinkle the melted cheese
with some cumin, just for variety. Oh, and I salt the hell out of it,
because that's just the way I roll.

A quick and filling lunch that hits most of the food groups. I had
one for lunch yesterday, in a nod to Cinco de Mayo, even though the
Battle of Puebla is nothing to me.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 2:18:58 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/6/2017 12:54 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 4:59:23 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah, what's the word... Thunderbird!
> >> http://www.drunkard.com/whats-the-word-thunderbird/

> > T-bird's success is due to it being a direct hit for a certain target group with most discriminating tastes i.e., they insist that their wine have a maximum wine content of 86%. The main problem with T-bird is that you're liable to get whacked over the head and mugged with a wine bottle (empty, of course) a few seconds after you step onto the mean streets of the areas that sell this classic American product.

> Thanks for the information. Based on your presentation I'm switching to
> Night Train Express.
> http://bumwine.com/nighttrain.html

Excellent choice sir! My understanding is that "April" was an especially good vintage.