Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default artichoke + wine?

What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.

I figure there must be a few winos in this group -

--
Rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD wrote:
> What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
> Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.
>
> I figure there must be a few winos in this group -

it took me a minute to find this

"the key to pairing wine with any artichoke dish is to choose a wine
that is bone dry, light and crisp, with high acidity and no oak"

there are reasons, which seem reasonable -

<https://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/5/14/8553593/ask-a-somm-how-to-pair-wine-with-artichokes>

seems like "dry" is the most important characteristic which shouldn't
have been hard to guess

Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD wrote:

>What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
>Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.
>
>I figure there must be a few winos in this group -

Try Retsina.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retsina

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2017 1:16 PM, RichD wrote:
> What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
> Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.
>
> I figure there must be a few winos in this group -

That's my take on it all. Can you not just enjoy an artichoke on it's
own. Need to have wine with it? I just don't get it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 May 2017 18:39:02 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/3/2017 1:16 PM, RichD wrote:
>> What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
>> Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.
>>
>> I figure there must be a few winos in this group -

>That's my take on it all. Can you not just enjoy an artichoke on it's
>own. Need to have wine with it? I just don't get it.

You're the exception, not the rule, mate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message news
On 5/3/2017 1:16 PM, RichD wrote:
> What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
> Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.
>
> I figure there must be a few winos in this group -

That's my take on it all. Can you not just enjoy an artichoke on it's
own. Need to have wine with it? I just don't get it.

===

Come on, Gary! Not everyone has preferences the same as yours.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Donnerstag, 4. Mai 2017 00:39:14 UTC+2 schrieb Gary:
> On 5/3/2017 1:16 PM, RichD wrote:
> > What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
> > Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.
> >
> > I figure there must be a few winos in this group -

> That's my take on it all. Can you not just enjoy an artichoke on it's
> own.

Naah - it needs some vinaigrette, too. ;-)

> Need to have wine with it? I just don't get it.

In this case, I agree - some plain water after eating artichoke tastes
sweet enough.

But if there was wine involved, I'd tend to a good Retsina, too.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:
>"Gary" wrote:
>RichD wrote:
>> What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
>> Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.
>>
>> I figure there must be a few winos in this group -

>That's my take on it all. Can you not just enjoy an artichoke on it's
>own. Need to have wine with it? I just don't get it.
>
>===
>
>Come on, Gary! Not everyone has preferences the same as yours.

I enjoy the ritual of scraping artichoke 'petals' with my teeth,
plain or dipped in melted butter... I think any alcoholic beverage (or
any beverage) would negate artichoke's very delicate flavor. Artichoke
is one food I prefer to eat all on its own, no cheese, bread crumbs,
or any seasoning, just a little unsalted
melted butter. After trimming the heart of its choke I like that
sliced with a drizzle of butter too. I've also enjoyed those jarred
pickled artichoke hearts on occasion but I much prefer plain fresh
artichokes... alcoholic beverages before or after but not with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 6:39:14 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 5/3/2017 1:16 PM, RichD wrote:
> > What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
> > Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.
> >
> > I figure there must be a few winos in this group -

> That's my take on it all. Can you not just enjoy an artichoke on it's
> own. Need to have wine with it? I just don't get it.

I think you're going to have to take it on faith that a lot
of people like wine and food together, or beer and food together.

Just as we take it on faith that you like McDonald's food when
it tastes pretty bad to us.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2017 6:39 PM, Gary wrote:
> On 5/3/2017 1:16 PM, RichD wrote:
>> What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
>> Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.
>>
>> I figure there must be a few winos in this group -

> That's my take on it all. Can you not just enjoy an artichoke on it's
> own. Need to have wine with it? I just don't get it.

I drink wine. I love artichokes. I don't drink wine while eating
artichokes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 May 2017 10:07:49 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/3/2017 6:39 PM, Gary wrote:
>> On 5/3/2017 1:16 PM, RichD wrote:
>>> What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
>>> Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.
>>>
>>> I figure there must be a few winos in this group -

>> That's my take on it all. Can you not just enjoy an artichoke on it's
>> own. Need to have wine with it? I just don't get it.
>>

>I drink wine. I love artichokes. I don't drink wine while eating
>artichokes.
>
>Jill

'Zactly... why wash away all that delicate artichoke flavor... wine
before or after, not during. Eating artichoke with wine is the same
as eating a steak with sips of listerine after each bite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2017 10:17 AM, wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2017 10:07:49 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> That's my take on it all. Can you not just enjoy an artichoke on it's
>>> own. Need to have wine with it? I just don't get it.
>>>

>> I drink wine. I love artichokes. I don't drink wine while eating
>> artichokes.
>>
>> Jill

> 'Zactly... why wash away all that delicate artichoke flavor... wine
> before or after, not during. Eating artichoke with wine is the same
> as eating a steak with sips of listerine after each bite.

Artichokes have a nicely sweet (but not sugary sweet) taste. Delicate,
as you say.

I remember the first time I ate an artichoke. I was 9 years old. Mom
bought a bunch of them and I guess she steamed them. After dinner there
was one left over. I took it outside and showed it to my friends, who
also hadn't ever seen one before. I said here's how you eat one: scrape
the "meat" off the leaf with your teeth. Try it! (They did.) And when
you get down to the choke, remove this fuzzy stuff and eat the rest.
Thus I introduced the artichoke to some equally young friends.

I sometimes buy canned or jarred artichoke *bottoms* just to snack on.
Drizzled with melted butter. I find artichoke bottoms to be much more
"meaty" than the hearts which still have some of the smaller leaves
attached. Still no wine involved.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Donnerstag, 4. Mai 2017 16:48:46 UTC+2 schrieb Jill McQuown:
> On 5/4/2017 10:17 AM, wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 May 2017 10:07:49 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> I drink wine. I love artichokes. I don't drink wine while eating
> >> artichokes.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > 'Zactly... why wash away all that delicate artichoke flavor... wine
> > before or after, not during. Eating artichoke with wine is the same
> > as eating a steak with sips of listerine after each bite.
> >

> Artichokes have a nicely sweet (but not sugary sweet) taste. Delicate,
> as you say.
>
> I remember the first time I ate an artichoke. I was 9 years old. Mom
> bought a bunch of them and I guess she steamed them. After dinner there
> was one left over. I took it outside and showed it to my friends, who
> also hadn't ever seen one before. I said here's how you eat one: scrape
> the "meat" off the leaf with your teeth. Try it! (They did.) And when
> you get down to the choke, remove this fuzzy stuff and eat the rest.
> Thus I introduced the artichoke to some equally young friends.
>
> I sometimes buy canned or jarred artichoke *bottoms* just to snack on.
> Drizzled with melted butter. I find artichoke bottoms to be much more
> "meaty" than the hearts which still have some of the smaller leaves
> attached. Still no wine involved.

When/if you get some artichokes with the stems still attached:
Peel the stems and treat them as you would the other parts; they are as
tender and delicious as the bottoms.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2017 11:09 AM, sanne wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 4. Mai 2017 16:48:46 UTC+2 schrieb Jill McQuown:
>>
>> I sometimes buy canned or jarred artichoke *bottoms* just to snack on.
>> Drizzled with melted butter. I find artichoke bottoms to be much more
>> "meaty" than the hearts which still have some of the smaller leaves
>> attached. Still no wine involved.

> When/if you get some artichokes with the stems still attached:
> Peel the stems and treat them as you would the other parts; they are as
> tender and delicious as the bottoms.
>
> Bye, Sanne.

Of course! I rarely find them with much of the stem attached but no
need to discard the stem.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.44...
> On Thu 04 May 2017 07:07:49a, jmcquown told us...

>>> That's my take on it all. Can you not just enjoy an artichoke on
>>> it's own. Need to have wine with it? I just don't get it.
>>>

>> I drink wine. I love artichokes. I don't drink wine while eating
>> artichokes.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> And obviously some people eat artichokes that are served with a wine-
> butter reduction sauce. Many restaurants serve them that way, and
> they're quite tasty. There are no rules, only preferences.
> Personally, I can certainly enjoy them either way. I could care less
> what other poeple do.

So true!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, tert in seattle wrote:
>> What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
>> Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.

> "the key to pairing wine with any artichoke dish is to choose a wine
> that is bone dry, light and crisp, with high acidity and no oak"
> there are reasons, which seem reasonable -
>
> <https://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/5/14/8553593/ask-a-somm-how-to-pair-wine-with-artichokes>
>
> seems like "dry" is the most important characteristic which shouldn't
> have been hard to guess

Doesn't dry always imply high acidity?

And, as far as I can tell, dry wines always pair best with food.
The only exception is sweet wines with dessert.

--
Rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 May 2017 14:20:29 -0700 (PDT), RichD
> wrote:

>On May 3, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
>>> Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.

>> "the key to pairing wine with any artichoke dish is to choose a wine
>> that is bone dry, light and crisp, with high acidity and no oak"
>> there are reasons, which seem reasonable -
>>
>> <https://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/5/14/8553593/ask-a-somm-how-to-pair-wine-with-artichokes>
>>
>> seems like "dry" is the most important characteristic which shouldn't
>> have been hard to guess

>Doesn't dry always imply high acidity?
>
>And, as far as I can tell, dry wines always pair best with food.
>The only exception is sweet wines with dessert.

Would you call a sauvignon blanc and a chardonnay as dry wines? Or:
are all wines dry, except sweet desert wines?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-04 5:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2017 14:20:29 -0700 (PDT), RichD
> > wrote:

>>> "the key to pairing wine with any artichoke dish is to choose a wine
>>> that is bone dry, light and crisp, with high acidity and no oak"
>>> there are reasons, which seem reasonable -
>>>
>>> <https://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/5/14/8553593/ask-a-somm-how-to-pair-wine-with-artichokes>
>>>
>>> seems like "dry" is the most important characteristic which shouldn't
>>> have been hard to guess

>> Doesn't dry always imply high acidity?
>>
>> And, as far as I can tell, dry wines always pair best with food.
>> The only exception is sweet wines with dessert.

> Would you call a sauvignon blanc and a chardonnay as dry wines? Or:
> are all wines dry, except sweet desert wines?

No, not really and no.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 May 2017 18:03:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-05-04 5:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 May 2017 14:20:29 -0700 (PDT), RichD
>> > wrote:

>>> Doesn't dry always imply high acidity?
>>>
>>> And, as far as I can tell, dry wines always pair best with food.
>>> The only exception is sweet wines with dessert.

>> Would you call a sauvignon blanc and a chardonnay as dry wines? Or:
>> are all wines dry, except sweet desert wines?
>>

>No, not really and no.

I didn't think so either. Makes me wonder which grapes make dry wine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 5:55:46 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2017 18:03:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2017-05-04 5:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Thu, 4 May 2017 14:20:29 -0700 (PDT), RichD

> >> Would you call a sauvignon blanc and a chardonnay as dry wines? Or:
> >> are all wines dry, except sweet desert wines?
> >>

> >No, not really and no.

> I didn't think so either. Makes me wonder which grapes make dry wine.

Any wine you allow the yeast to eat all the sugars in! They add sugar back to sweet wines.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 May 2017 16:15:15 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 5:55:46 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 May 2017 18:03:38 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> >No, not really and no.

>> I didn't think so either. Makes me wonder which grapes make dry wine.

>Any wine you allow the yeast to eat all the sugars in! They add sugar back to sweet wines.

So if you make white wine from the Chardonnay grape and you let it eat
all the sugars, you get a dry wine made from the Chardonnay grape?

Chenin Blanc is called Droë Steen (Dry Stone) in South Africa, so I
guess that's a dry wine grape.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2017 6:55 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2017 18:03:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2017-05-04 5:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Thu, 4 May 2017 14:20:29 -0700 (PDT), RichD

>>> Would you call a sauvignon blanc and a chardonnay as dry wines? Or:
>>> are all wines dry, except sweet desert wines?
>>>

>> No, not really and no.

> I didn't think so either. Makes me wonder which grapes make dry wine.

The process is part of the making of "dry" wines. Even concord grapes
can be made dry. Has more to do with when fermentation is stopped and
how much residual sugar is left. Of course, some grapes do have higher
sugr than others.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 May 2017 22:34:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/4/2017 6:55 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 May 2017 18:03:38 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> No, not really and no.

>> I didn't think so either. Makes me wonder which grapes make dry wine.
>>

>The process is part of the making of "dry" wines. Even concord grapes
>can be made dry. Has more to do with when fermentation is stopped and
>how much residual sugar is left. Of course, some grapes do have higher
>sugr than others.

http://www.winespectator.com/drvinny/show/id/5070

"In general, some whites wines are almost always made in a dry style:
Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Spanish Albariños and Austrian Grüner
Veltliners, for example. Some wines often fall between dry and
off-dry: many New World Chardonnays, Rieslings, Viogniers and Pinot
Gris, for example."

But you're right, it's also about the process. Pinot Gris and Pinot
Grigio are the same grape, but because the Italians tend to harvest
them earlier, Pinot Grigio is a more acidic (= drier) wine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-04 10:50 PM, Bruce wrote:
sugr than others.

> http://www.winespectator.com/drvinny/show/id/5070
>
> "In general, some whites wines are almost always made in a dry style:
> Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Spanish Albariños and Austrian Grüner
> Veltliners, for example. Some wines often fall between dry and
> off-dry: many New World Chardonnays, Rieslings, Viogniers and Pinot
> Gris, for example."
>
> But you're right, it's also about the process. Pinot Gris and Pinot
> Grigio are the same grape, but because the Italians tend to harvest
> them earlier, Pinot Grigio is a more acidic (= drier) wine.

The local ice wine is cloyingly sweet but it is made from a wide range
of grapes. They leave the grapes on the vine until there his a hard
freeze..... -8 C (17F), harvest them at night and press them while they
are still frozen. There are also some late harvest wines made from
various white wine grapes. There are not as sweet as ice wines, but they
are still pretty sweet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu 04 May 2017 07:07:49a, jmcquown told us...

>>> That's my take on it all. Can you not just enjoy an artichoke on
>>> it's own. Need to have wine with it? I just don't get it.
>>>

>> I drink wine. I love artichokes. I don't drink wine while eating
>> artichokes.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> And obviously some people eat artichokes that are served with a wine-
> butter reduction sauce. Many restaurants serve them that way, and
> they're quite tasty. There are no rules, only preferences.
> Personally, I can certainly enjoy them either way. I could care less
> what other poeple do.

Of course, Wayne. But then I've never eaten artichokes in a restaurant.

I did see a chef on a PBS cooking show roast some "baby" artichokes.
They were sliced lengthwise, drizzled with oil and sprinked with salt.
Then into the oven. They looked delicious! I cannot find "baby"
artichokes at my local grocery stores.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD wrote:
> On May 3, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> What's a wine to pair with artichokes?
>>> Usually I steam them, whole, with aioli or melted butter dip.

>> "the key to pairing wine with any artichoke dish is to choose a wine
>> that is bone dry, light and crisp, with high acidity and no oak"
>> there are reasons, which seem reasonable -
>>
>> <https://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/5/14/8553593/ask-a-somm-how-to-pair-wine-with-artichokes>
>>
>> seems like "dry" is the most important characteristic which shouldn't
>> have been hard to guess

> Doesn't dry always imply high acidity?
>
> And, as far as I can tell, dry wines always pair best with food.
> The only exception is sweet wines with dessert.

I prefer coffee with my dessert - sweet + sweet = too much for me

also never understood this wine with chocolate thing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> RichD wrote:
> >>
> >> "the key to pairing wine with any artichoke dish is to choose a wine
> >> that is bone dry, light and crisp, with high acidity and no oak"
> >> there are reasons, which seem reasonable -
> >>
> >> <https://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/5/14/8553593/ask-a-somm-how-to-pair-wine-with-artichokes>
> >>
> >> seems like "dry" is the most important characteristic which shouldn't
> >> have been hard to guess

> > Doesn't dry always imply high acidity?
> >
> > And, as far as I can tell, dry wines always pair best with food.
> > The only exception is sweet wines with dessert.

> I prefer coffee with my dessert - sweet + sweet = too much for me

Yeppers...

> also never understood this wine with chocolate thing

it's a "girl" thing, I think...but the whole chocolate "thing" is, too...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 May 2017 09:39:18 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
> wrote:

>tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> RichD wrote:

>> > Doesn't dry always imply high acidity?
>> >
>> > And, as far as I can tell, dry wines always pair best with food.
>> > The only exception is sweet wines with dessert.

>> I prefer coffee with my dessert - sweet + sweet = too much for me

>Yeppers...
>
>> also never understood this wine with chocolate thing

>it's a "girl" thing, I think...but the whole chocolate "thing" is, too...

For me a nice cordial in a chocolate cup IS the dessert... at the end
of a good meal just a strong espresso laced w/anisete., perhaps
biscotti.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2017 12:25 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> RichD wrote:
>>>
>>> "the key to pairing wine with any artichoke dish is to choose a wine
>>> that is bone dry, light and crisp, with high acidity and no oak"
>>> there are reasons, which seem reasonable -
>>>
>>> <https://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/5/14/8553593/ask-a-somm-how-to-pair-wine-with-artichokes>
>>>
>>> seems like "dry" is the most important characteristic which shouldn't
>>> have been hard to guess

>> Doesn't dry always imply high acidity?
>>
>> And, as far as I can tell, dry wines always pair best with food.
>> The only exception is sweet wines with dessert.

> I prefer coffee with my dessert - sweet + sweet = too much for me
>
> also never understood this wine with chocolate thing

All food tastes better after a few drinks.
I wonder what the "Wine with dinner crowd" pairs with their breakfasts
and lunches. Certainly they do that too since it makes dinners so much
better.

;-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2017 12:25 PM, tert in seattle wrote:

> I prefer coffee with my dessert - sweet + sweet = too much for me
>
> also never understood this wine with chocolate thing

Rarely drink coffee, prefer tea.

Couple of years ago we were at a restaurant and the meal was not up to
par. Mediocre at best. we had some wine left and ordered a chocolate
torte for dessert. Finished the wine with it and OMG, it was really
good. Not something I'd normally do, but this night it was the
highlight of the evening.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 May 2017 16:41:58 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 5/5/2017 12:25 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> RichD wrote:

>>> Doesn't dry always imply high acidity?
>>>
>>> And, as far as I can tell, dry wines always pair best with food.
>>> The only exception is sweet wines with dessert.

>> I prefer coffee with my dessert - sweet + sweet = too much for me
>>
>> also never understood this wine with chocolate thing

>All food tastes better after a few drinks.
>I wonder what the "Wine with dinner crowd" pairs with their breakfasts
>and lunches. Certainly they do that too since it makes dinners so much
>better.

Wine with lunch is good too, but kinda dangerous.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 May 2017 17:56:22 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

> "the key to pairing wine with any artichoke dish is to choose a wine
> that is bone dry, light and crisp, with high acidity and no oak"

Agree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Makes me wonder which grapes make dry wine.

> The process is part of the making of "dry" wines. Even concord grapes
> can be made dry. Has more to do with when fermentation is stopped and
> how much residual sugar is left. Of course, some grapes do have higher
> sugr than others.

Is there a dry wine, which isn't acidic? (I guess that
means alkaline, though I never litmus tested a wine)

Can anyone recommend examples? I'd surely pick up a few bottles -

--
Rich

artichoke sub Gus[_3_] General Cooking 1 05-08-2014 12:43 AM
artichoke dip RichD General Cooking 9 23-07-2012 09:54 PM
Hot Artichoke Dip International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 25-03-2008 04:04 AM
Artichoke Dip Monique Recipes (moderated) 0 28-09-2006 04:57 AM
REC Hot Artichoke Dip(s) S'mee General Cooking 7 20-11-2005 05:39 AM