Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Single Most Important Ingredient?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/d...ies-below&_r=0

http://tiny.cc/rjtuky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news
> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/d...ies-below&_r=0
>
> http://tiny.cc/rjtuky

Agree. Although I don't put salt in everything that I cook or make, I do put
it in most things, even if it is only a pinch. My mom cooked without salt
for the most part, telling if we wanted salt to add it at the table. That
simply does not work. Would be better to err on the side of not quite enough
salt when cooking and then add more. IMO, the salt needs to be cooked in. If
you put none in and add it later, the food just tastes of salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message news
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/d...ies-below&_r=0

http://tiny.cc/rjtuky

==

Great piece! Thanks for sharing

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2017 10:55 PM, graham wrote:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/d...ies-below&_r=0
>

> http://tiny.cc/rjtuky

Somewhat sensible the way he explains it. Some places just go too
heavy. We use salt, but in moderation, as needed. Doctors always tell
you use not, but not everyone is salt sensitive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-30 6:45 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/29/2017 10:55 PM, graham wrote:
>> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/d...ies-below&_r=0
>>

>> http://tiny.cc/rjtuky

> Somewhat sensible the way he explains it. Some places just go too
> heavy. We use salt, but in moderation, as needed. Doctors always tell
> you use not, but not everyone is salt sensitive.

Many chefs are too heavy-handed with it. I really notice it when I dine
out and I can guarantee that the morning after, my weight will be much
higher than normal - presumably due to water retention.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2017 8:50 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-04-30 6:45 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 4/29/2017 10:55 PM, graham wrote:
>>> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/d...ies-below&_r=0
>>>

>>> http://tiny.cc/rjtuky

>> Somewhat sensible the way he explains it. Some places just go too
>> heavy. We use salt, but in moderation, as needed. Doctors always tell
>> you use not, but not everyone is salt sensitive.

> Many chefs are too heavy-handed with it. I really notice it when I dine
> out and I can guarantee that the morning after, my weight will be much
> higher than normal - presumably due to water retention.

Definitely due to water retention, to an extent.

Basic formula is how many calories you burn in a day
Subtract that from how many calories you consume.
3500 calories extra will add a pound of real weight

A one meal event is probably mostly water weight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 06:50:43 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2017-04-30 6:45 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 4/29/2017 10:55 PM, graham wrote:
>>> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/d...ies-below&_r=0
>>>

>>> http://tiny.cc/rjtuky

>> Somewhat sensible the way he explains it. Some places just go too
>> heavy. We use salt, but in moderation, as needed. Doctors always tell
>> you use not, but not everyone is salt sensitive.

>Many chefs are too heavy-handed with it. I really notice it when I dine
>out and I can guarantee that the morning after, my weight will be much
>higher than normal - presumably due to water retention.

Yeah, right
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 13:39:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> I've been using Korean flavored salt for the last few months. It's pretty good stuff - supercharged salt.

> I've been using Korean flavored salt for the last few months. It's pretty
> good stuff - supercharged salt.

Korean flavored salt is a new one on me... and you called it
supercharged. If you ever want to taste salty salt, try the American
Pink Salt from Utah called "Real Salt". http://www.realsalt.com/
I see something new every time I visit their website, haven't noticed
Kosher before. Now I'm thinking I'll order their Kosher the next time
I need to refill and see what that's all about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

..
in my house it's sugar & salt

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 3:11:28 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> As I am sure you are too, so fear not, your wife isn't going to stop loving
> you because you can't smell anything)))
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

You're probably right, although I'm not likely to try to validate this theory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 3:11:28 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> As I am sure you are too, so fear not, your wife isn't going to stop
> loving
> you because you can't smell anything)))

You're probably right, although I'm not likely to try to validate this
theory.

===

<g> just play it safe boy ;-)

--