Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight 4/29/17

Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a freezer.

And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.

What's on your plate this evening?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 21:12:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:05:03 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> What's on your plate this evening?

>I had a charcuterie cheese plate.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>
>Clockwise: Fromager d'Affinois cheese, Roquefort cheese, pickled
>Vienna snausages, braunschweiger, garlic and dill peperoncini, sweet
>horseradish gherkins, Tassos double-stuffed olives, roasted and
>marinated yellow peppers, pepperoni, salami and herbed cream cheese
>rollups, and some mustard horseradish sauce.
>
>Everything went very well together.
>
>-sw

Not at all healthful. Constantly eating all that preserved crap will
greatly shorten your life. Don't you ever eat any fresh veggies...
those friggin' pickles don't count.
We ate a huge garden salad for dinner tonight, have leftovers for
lunch tomorrow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:05:03 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> What's on your plate this evening?

>I had a charcuterie cheese plate.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>
>Clockwise: Fromager d'Affinois cheese, Roquefort cheese, pickled
>Vienna snausages, braunschweiger, garlic and dill peperoncini, sweet
>horseradish gherkins, Tassos double-stuffed olives, roasted and
>marinated yellow peppers, pepperoni, salami and herbed cream cheese
>rollups, and some mustard horseradish sauce.
>
>Everything went very well together.
>
>-sw

looks good. Every once in a while I have a craving for a meal like
that.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2017 5:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
> will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a freezer.
>
> And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
> thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
> Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.
>
> What's on your plate this evening?
>
> Jill

I forgot to mention I added the spinach I'd forgotten in the quiche to
the tomato sauce. Used in the lasagna.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-29 5:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
> will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a freezer.
>
> And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
> thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
> Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.
>
> What's on your plate this evening?

Hamburgers, raw baby carrots, spicy olives, dill pickles sliced tomato
and onion, and a beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:05:03 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> What's on your plate this evening?

>I had a charcuterie cheese plate.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>
>Clockwise: Fromager d'Affinois cheese, Roquefort cheese, pickled
>Vienna snausages, braunschweiger, garlic and dill peperoncini, sweet
>horseradish gherkins, Tassos double-stuffed olives, roasted and
>marinated yellow peppers, pepperoni, salami and herbed cream cheese
>rollups, and some mustard horseradish sauce.
>
>Everything went very well together.

You forgot one ingredient though: the kitchen sink would have been the
finishing touch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2017 5:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
> will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a freezer.
>
> And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
> thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
> Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.
>
> What's on your plate this evening?
>
> Jill

I *wish* my plate held 2 servings of YOUR lasagna dinner. ;-D

I had a couple of Johnsonville cheese/sausage dogs. Good but nothing to
brag about. I remember Eckrich cheese/sausage dogs being better. Haven't
seen them around lately though.

BTW, I do LOVE the Johnsonville commercial where the guy is talking to
the wild animals. heheh good one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 5:05:15 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
> will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a freezer.
>
> And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
> thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
> Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.
>
> What's on your plate this evening?
>
> Jill

Takeout sushi again. We wore ourselves out doing yard work, and
it's commencement at the university so downtown is a no-fly zone
for us.

But with a nice homemade salad.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2017 8:51 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 4/29/2017 5:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
>> will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a freezer.
>>
>> And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
>> thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
>> Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.
>>
>> What's on your plate this evening?
>>
>> Jill

> I *wish* my plate held 2 servings of YOUR lasagna dinner. ;-D
>
> I had a couple of Johnsonville cheese/sausage dogs. Good but nothing to
> brag about. I remember Eckrich cheese/sausage dogs being better. Haven't
> seen them around lately though.
>
> BTW, I do LOVE the Johnsonville commercial where the guy is talking to
> the wild animals. heheh good one!

It's a pretty stupid commercial. The newer one with the 1960's
game-show theme is pretty good, though. Guy wins a boat but wants the
smoked sausage... so they fill the boat with sausage!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2017 10:57 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-29 5:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
>> will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a freezer.
>>
>> And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
>> thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
>> Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.
>>
>> What's on your plate this evening?
>>

> Hamburgers, raw baby carrots, spicy olives, dill pickles sliced tomato
> and onion, and a beer.

"and a beer."

YUK! just teasing you Davers but why would you ruin a nice dinner
sipping on a beer? lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 00:12:28 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 04:04:43 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I stopped at the Italian market this morning to pick up cold cuts,
>> cheeses, and freshly baked rolls. I made a sandwich with hard salami,
>> mortdella, capocollo, soppressata, provalone, and raschera, along with
>> some lettuch and spicy mustard. On the side, some pepperoncini and oil
>> cured olives and US potato chips.

>I make an Italian sub probably every other day. I always have a good
>ham, salami of the week, pepperoni, mortadella, provolone, and some
>sort of giardiniera, olive salad, or peperoncini on hand. And I buy a
>couple types of rolls which I put in the freezer so they're always on
>hand. My current roll is the La Brea/Costco torta rolls which come in
>12 packs and freeze well.
>
>I picked up the Trader Joes brand provolone yesterday and I'm pretty
>impressed with it. It's tastier than the other brands I've been
>buying. $6/lb in 12oz packages ($4.49).
>
>-sw

the problem with making a sub at home is getting the meat and cheese
cut thin enough. I'm done trying. I just go to Blimpie's
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 08:51:05 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>On 4/29/2017 5:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
>> will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a freezer.
>>
>> And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
>> thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
>> Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.
>>
>> What's on your plate this evening?
>>
>> Jill

>I *wish* my plate held 2 servings of YOUR lasagna dinner. ;-D
>
>I had a couple of Johnsonville cheese/sausage dogs. Good but nothing to
>brag about. I remember Eckrich cheese/sausage dogs being better. Haven't
>seen them around lately though.
>
>BTW, I do LOVE the Johnsonville commercial where the guy is talking to
>the wild animals. heheh good one!

I can't imagine why you would think something called a 'cheese sausage
dog' would taste good.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 11:59:34 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 08:51:05 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >On 4/29/2017 5:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> >> Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
> >> will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a freezer.
> >>
> >> And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
> >> thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
> >> Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.
> >>
> >> What's on your plate this evening?
> >>
> >> Jill

> >I *wish* my plate held 2 servings of YOUR lasagna dinner. ;-D
> >
> >I had a couple of Johnsonville cheese/sausage dogs. Good but nothing to
> >brag about. I remember Eckrich cheese/sausage dogs being better. Haven't
> >seen them around lately though.
> >
> >BTW, I do LOVE the Johnsonville commercial where the guy is talking to
> >the wild animals. heheh good one!
> >

> I can't imagine why you would think something called a 'cheese sausage
> dog' would taste good.

If a person likes cheese on sausage (or dogs, or sausage dogs), I don't
see why he wouldn't like cheese inside of those things.

Not my cuppa. I was thinking about kielbasa, onions and kraut (perhaps
on rye bread as a sandwich) for lunch. It's a grey, chilly day here
(about 50 F with 95% relative humidity), so kielbasa sounds pretty
good. I favor smoked kielbasa over fresh kielbasa.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-30 11:59 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 08:51:05 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> On 4/29/2017 5:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
>>> will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a freezer.
>>>
>>> And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
>>> thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
>>> Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.
>>>
>>> What's on your plate this evening?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I *wish* my plate held 2 servings of YOUR lasagna dinner. ;-D
>>
>> I had a couple of Johnsonville cheese/sausage dogs. Good but nothing to
>> brag about. I remember Eckrich cheese/sausage dogs being better. Haven't
>> seen them around lately though.
>>
>> BTW, I do LOVE the Johnsonville commercial where the guy is talking to
>> the wild animals. heheh good one!
>>

> I can't imagine why you would think something called a 'cheese sausage
> dog' would taste good.

What a sec. You were upset that I shunned the idea of ready made fondue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B. wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 08:51:05 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >On 4/29/2017 5:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> >> Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
> >> will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a freezer.
> >>
> >> And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
> >> thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
> >> Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.
> >>
> >> What's on your plate this evening?
> >>
> >> Jill

> >I *wish* my plate held 2 servings of YOUR lasagna dinner. ;-D
> >
> >I had a couple of Johnsonville cheese/sausage dogs. Good but nothing to
> >brag about. I remember Eckrich cheese/sausage dogs being better. Haven't
> >seen them around lately though.
> >
> >BTW, I do LOVE the Johnsonville commercial where the guy is talking to
> >the wild animals. heheh good one!
> >

> I can't imagine why you would think something called a 'cheese sausage
> dog' would taste good.

I pick those up once in blue moon if they're on sale, it is really more about "convenience"...not a staple, more of a treat. I try to really limit myself with processed stuff like that.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 12:11:02 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-04-30 11:59 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I *wish* my plate held 2 servings of YOUR lasagna dinner. ;-D
>>>
>>> I had a couple of Johnsonville cheese/sausage dogs. Good but nothing to
>>> brag about. I remember Eckrich cheese/sausage dogs being better. Haven't
>>> seen them around lately though.
>>>
>>> BTW, I do LOVE the Johnsonville commercial where the guy is talking to
>>> the wild animals. heheh good one!
>>>

>> I can't imagine why you would think something called a 'cheese sausage
>> dog' would taste good.

>What a sec. You were upset that I shunned the idea of ready made fondue.

the idea of cheese and sausage living together inside an old sausage
doesn't seem right to me. Maybe they do something to keep the cheese
from getting slimy. If the sausage-cheese mixture was made today and
consumed today I guess it would be o.k.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 12:01:30 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 21:12:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:05:03 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> What's on your plate this evening?

> >I had a charcuterie cheese plate.
> >
> >https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
> >
> >Clockwise: Fromager d'Affinois cheese, Roquefort cheese, pickled
> >Vienna snausages, braunschweiger, garlic and dill peperoncini, sweet
> >horseradish gherkins, Tassos double-stuffed olives, roasted and
> >marinated yellow peppers, pepperoni, salami and herbed cream cheese
> >rollups, and some mustard horseradish sauce.
> >
> >Everything went very well together.

> You forgot one ingredient though: the kitchen sink would have been the
> finishing touch.

After all of those flavors and aromas plus the "hot" stuff, my taste-buds
and tongue would need a long rest to recuperate. Can't even imagine wanting
to consume all of that guck.
====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2017 10:33 AM, Roy wrote:
> On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 12:01:30 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 21:12:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> I had a charcuterie cheese plate.
>>>
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>>>
>>> Clockwise: Fromager d'Affinois cheese, Roquefort cheese, pickled
>>> Vienna snausages, braunschweiger, garlic and dill peperoncini, sweet
>>> horseradish gherkins, Tassos double-stuffed olives, roasted and
>>> marinated yellow peppers, pepperoni, salami and herbed cream cheese
>>> rollups, and some mustard horseradish sauce.
>>>
>>> Everything went very well together.

>> You forgot one ingredient though: the kitchen sink would have been the
>> finishing touch.

> After all of those flavors and aromas plus the "hot" stuff, my taste-buds
> and tongue would need a long rest to recuperate. Can't even imagine wanting
> to consume all of that guck.
> ====

you best stick to gumming your oatmeal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 1:00:07 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 12:11:02 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >> I can't imagine why you would think something called a 'cheese sausage
> >> dog' would taste good.

> >What a sec. You were upset that I shunned the idea of ready made fondue.

> the idea of cheese and sausage living together inside an old sausage
> doesn't seem right to me. Maybe they do something to keep the cheese
> from getting slimy. If the sausage-cheese mixture was made today and
> consumed today I guess it would be o.k.
> Janet US

I imagine that once the sausage is piping hot, the cheese melts and it's
impossible to tell that it was slimy.

Besides, the cheese is pasteurized and processed (like American cheese).
It's pre-slimy.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2017 11:26 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 09:58:08 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 00:12:28 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> I make an Italian sub probably every other day. I always have a good
>>> ham, salami of the week, pepperoni, mortadella, provolone, and some
>>> sort of giardiniera, olive salad, or peperoncini on hand. And I buy a
>>> couple types of rolls which I put in the freezer so they're always on
>>> hand. My current roll is the La Brea/Costco torta rolls which come in
>>> 12 packs and freeze well.
>>>
>>> I picked up the Trader Joes brand provolone yesterday and I'm pretty
>>> impressed with it. It's tastier than the other brands I've been
>>> buying. $6/lb in 12oz packages ($4.49).

>> the problem with making a sub at home is getting the meat and cheese
>> cut thin enough. I'm done trying. I just go to Blimpie's

> I just ask the deli to slice it ".5" (less if it's prosciutto). But
> getting them to shave Pittsburgh-style chipped ham is usually futile.
>
> -sw

I was never a fan of shaved meat or cheese. Thin yes, but tissue paper, no.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Sonntag, 30. April 2017 19:00:07 UTC+2 schrieb U.S. Janet B.:

> the idea of cheese and sausage living together inside an old sausage
> doesn't seem right to me. Maybe they do something to keep the cheese
> from getting slimy. If the sausage-cheese mixture was made today and
> consumed today I guess it would be o.k.
> Janet US

Check this out, especially "Käsekrainer":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnio...nd_preparation

Nothing old involved.
But what it's called in Vienna sounds disgusting indeed:
"Eitrige" ("purulent")... ;-D

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Lasagna. Made with nice mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Of course it
> will be dinner for more than just tonight. That's why I have a
> freezer.
>
> And sure, gotta double the carbs! Garlic bread to go with it! Nice
> thick "Texas" toast. Buttered and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic &
> Herb seasoning blend and a little salt. Toasted under the broiler.
>
> What's on your plate this evening?
>
> Jill

Home made bread (a milk version with 3 cheeses), built to small long
subs then cut to 1/2 and filled with sweet lebanese salami, minced
onion, havarti and mozzarella sliced cheeses. Mayo, a dab of
horseradish, and a dab of whole grain mustard.

Side was stirfry veggies, mostly cabbage, carrot, mushroom, olive oil
(the cheap stuff), mini peppers and a leftover long thin asian eggplant.

Riceball at the side seasoned with dried plum, a little pinch of
cinnimon and rolled in a small amount of honey powder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 00:12:28 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 04:04:43 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> I stopped at the Italian market this morning to pick up cold cuts,
>>> cheeses, and freshly baked rolls. I made a sandwich with hard salami,
>>> mortdella, capocollo, soppressata, provalone, and raschera, along with
>>> some lettuch and spicy mustard. On the side, some pepperoncini and oil
>>> cured olives and US potato chips.

>>I make an Italian sub probably every other day. I always have a good
>>ham, salami of the week, pepperoni, mortadella, provolone, and some
>>sort of giardiniera, olive salad, or peperoncini on hand. And I buy a
>>couple types of rolls which I put in the freezer so they're always on
>>hand. My current roll is the La Brea/Costco torta rolls which come in
>>12 packs and freeze well.
>>
>>I picked up the Trader Joes brand provolone yesterday and I'm pretty
>>impressed with it. It's tastier than the other brands I've been
>>buying. $6/lb in 12oz packages ($4.49).
>>
>>-sw

>the problem with making a sub at home is getting the meat and cheese
>cut thin enough. I'm done trying. I just go to Blimpie's
>Janet US

Your deli doesn't have a slicer?!?!?
Blimpies is like Subway, fake cold cuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:33:09 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

>On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 12:01:30 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 21:12:10 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I had a charcuterie cheese plate.
>> >
>> >https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>> >
>> >Clockwise: Fromager d'Affinois cheese, Roquefort cheese, pickled
>> >Vienna snausages, braunschweiger, garlic and dill peperoncini, sweet
>> >horseradish gherkins, Tassos double-stuffed olives, roasted and
>> >marinated yellow peppers, pepperoni, salami and herbed cream cheese
>> >rollups, and some mustard horseradish sauce.
>> >
>> >Everything went very well together.

>> You forgot one ingredient though: the kitchen sink would have been the
>> finishing touch.

>After all of those flavors and aromas plus the "hot" stuff, my taste-buds
>and tongue would need a long rest to recuperate. Can't even imagine wanting
>to consume all of that guck.
>====

Yes, too much of a good thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2017 1:11 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 30-Apr-2017, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>>> I was never a fan of shaved meat or cheese. Thin yes, but tissue
>>> paper, no.
>>>

>> I'm not a fan of shaved meat either. It always seems as though there
>> is no substance to buite into. However, David likes his turkey
>> shaved tissue thin and they do a good job of it.
>>
>> --

> 2-3 ply tissue thin is good with me. 8-)
> I like to drape several thin slices onto a sandwich so that there is not a
> solid wall of meat; but, "corrugated: effect. To me, the extra surface area
> (??) enhances the flavor, where a meat puck suppresses it. Of course,
> corned beef and pastrami are generally the only deli meats I buy.

I agree with the corrugated effect, but shaved meat pushes past the
enhanced flavor into blandness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 11:29:21 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 4/30/2017 11:26 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 09:58:08 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> the problem with making a sub at home is getting the meat and cheese
>>> cut thin enough. I'm done trying. I just go to Blimpie's

>> I just ask the deli to slice it ".5" (less if it's prosciutto). But
>> getting them to shave Pittsburgh-style chipped ham is usually futile.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>I was never a fan of shaved meat or cheese. Thin yes, but tissue paper, no.

I know what you are talking about. I'm talking thicker than that -- -
easily pliable. Too much meat and cheese ruins a good grinder.
I just go into Blimpie's and tell them I want a foot long Blimpie's
Best with extra vinegar and oil, extra oregano and the yellow peppers.
Perfect.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 20:11:37 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 30-Apr-2017, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>> > I was never a fan of shaved meat or cheese. Thin yes, but tissue
>> > paper, no.
>> >

>> I'm not a fan of shaved meat either. It always seems as though there
>> is no substance to buite into. However, David likes his turkey
>> shaved tissue thin and they do a good job of it.
>>
>> --

>2-3 ply tissue thin is good with me. 8-)
>I like to drape several thin slices onto a sandwich so that there is not a
>solid wall of meat; but, "corrugated: effect. To me, the extra surface area
>(??) enhances the flavor, where a meat puck suppresses it. Of course,
>corned beef and pastrami are generally the only deli meats I buy.

that's what I got at Winco the other day -- a half inch of solid meat
and cheese. It was unpleasant to bite through, Winco was trying to
give value for dollar and messed up the sandwich instead. It took two
meals for my husband and myself to eat it all and I actually threw the
bread and most of the filling from my half away.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 19:32:28 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 30 Apr 2017 08:58:08a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 00:12:28 -0500, Sqwertz
>> > wrote:

>>>I make an Italian sub probably every other day. I always have a
>>>good ham, salami of the week, pepperoni, mortadella, provolone,
>>>and some sort of giardiniera, olive salad, or peperoncini on hand.
>>> And I buy a couple types of rolls which I put in the freezer so
>>>they're always on hand. My current roll is the La Brea/Costco
>>>torta rolls which come in 12 packs and freeze well.
>>>
>>>I picked up the Trader Joes brand provolone yesterday and I'm
>>>pretty impressed with it. It's tastier than the other brands I've
>>>been buying. $6/lb in 12oz packages ($4.49).
>>>
>>>-sw

>> the problem with making a sub at home is getting the meat and
>> cheese cut thin enough. I'm done trying. I just go to Blimpie's
>> Janet US
>>

>I don't know where you s shop, Janet, but the Italiam market where I
>shop cups all of their meats and cheeses on order and as thin or as
>thick as you like. I've never been disappointed.

I can get cut to order at Albertson's. I don't like their cold cut
choices -- Boar's Head.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 15:42:58 -0400, wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 09:58:08 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 00:12:28 -0500, Sqwertz >
>>wrote:

>>>I make an Italian sub probably every other day. I always have a good
>>>ham, salami of the week, pepperoni, mortadella, provolone, and some
>>>sort of giardiniera, olive salad, or peperoncini on hand. And I buy a
>>>couple types of rolls which I put in the freezer so they're always on
>>>hand. My current roll is the La Brea/Costco torta rolls which come in
>>>12 packs and freeze well.
>>>
>>>I picked up the Trader Joes brand provolone yesterday and I'm pretty
>>>impressed with it. It's tastier than the other brands I've been
>>>buying. $6/lb in 12oz packages ($4.49).
>>>
>>>-sw

>>the problem with making a sub at home is getting the meat and cheese
>>cut thin enough. I'm done trying. I just go to Blimpie's
>>Janet US

>Your deli doesn't have a slicer?!?!?
>Blimpies is like Subway, fake cold cuts.

The meat and cheese is sliced right in front of my eyes for my
Blimpies sandwich. The meat and cheese are kept refrigerated and the
sandwich maker wears gloves. I know you like Boar's Head but I don't.
There's just something about the seasoning that makes not like it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 11:45:52 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>Am Sonntag, 30. April 2017 19:00:07 UTC+2 schrieb U.S. Janet B.:
>
>> the idea of cheese and sausage living together inside an old sausage
>> doesn't seem right to me. Maybe they do something to keep the cheese
>> from getting slimy. If the sausage-cheese mixture was made today and
>> consumed today I guess it would be o.k.
>> Janet US

>Check this out, especially "Käsekrainer":
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnio...nd_preparation
>
>Nothing old involved.
>But what it's called in Vienna sounds disgusting indeed:
>"Eitrige" ("purulent")... ;-D
>
>Bye, Sanne.

by old, I meant a sausage that was made in previous weeks.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 14:37:55 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 15:42:58 -0400, wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 09:58:08 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>>wrote:

>>>the problem with making a sub at home is getting the meat and cheese
>>>cut thin enough. I'm done trying. I just go to Blimpie's
>>>Janet US

>>Your deli doesn't have a slicer?!?!?
>>Blimpies is like Subway, fake cold cuts.

>The meat and cheese is sliced right in front of my eyes for my
>Blimpies sandwich. The meat and cheese are kept refrigerated and the
>sandwich maker wears gloves. I know you like Boar's Head but I don't.
>There's just something about the seasoning that makes not like it.
>Janet US

Not talking brand. Blimpi and Subway is NO brand, it's cold cuts made
from molded compressed mystery meats. And I've never seen a deli that
doesn't slice to order, thin/thick as you want. I sometimes buy a
thick chunk of Brawnschieger and slice it how I want at home but if
your deli has no slicer it's not a deli... perhaps you're buying whole
unsliced deli meats... I sometimes buy various whole hard salamis and
slice at home as desired, very easy to slice paper thin or however I
want with a sharp knife... a well honed carbon steel blade makes it
easy and fast... stainless steel blades suck at fine knife work.
Stainless steel knives are okay on produce but are terrible for meats,
raw or cooked. I don';t own a serrated knife those should be banned
from steak restaurants... I have a wonderful set of scalop bladed
steak knives for everyday use, they slice through steak like the feel
of fine silk. I also have a set of Samarai steak knives from Japan,
deadly sharp but need to be used on wooden trenchers. Any so-called 5
star steak house serves your steak on a porcelain plate with a
serrated ss knife LEAVE! They haven't a clue about meat, that's an
ordinary stupidmarket steak you can buy for $8 being passed off as
USDA Prime.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 May 2017 05:51:39 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:33:09 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 12:01:30 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

>>> You forgot one ingredient though: the kitchen sink would have been the
>>> finishing touch.

>>After all of those flavors and aromas plus the "hot" stuff, my taste-buds
>>and tongue would need a long rest to recuperate. Can't even imagine wanting
>>to consume all of that guck.
>>====

>Yes, too much of a good thing.

Even though it's a lot of unhealthful crapola
his presentation sucks... the dwarf eats that unhealthful mierda
every day... LOOK AT HIM... the dwarf is taller laying down than
standing up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 10:29:28 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 11:29:21 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> > wrote:

> >> I just ask the deli to slice it ".5" (less if it's prosciutto). But
> >> getting them to shave Pittsburgh-style chipped ham is usually futile.
> >>
> >> -sw
> >>

> >I was never a fan of shaved meat or cheese. Thin yes, but tissue paper, no.

> I know what you are talking about. I'm talking thicker than that -- -
> easily pliable. Too much meat and cheese ruins a good grinder.
> I just go into Blimpie's and tell them I want a foot long Blimpie's
> Best with extra vinegar and oil, extra oregano and the yellow peppers.
> Perfect.
> Janet US

My son had a sandwich from Subway. It was pretty good. I was going to make a turkey and salami sandwich but I saw some tuna salad in the fridge - so I made a tuna sandwich. For extra sass, I put some wasabi in it. That was a very wise decision.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Sonntag, 30. April 2017 22:40:21 UTC+2 schrieb U.S. Janet B.:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 11:45:52 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> > wrote:
>
> >Am Sonntag, 30. April 2017 19:00:07 UTC+2 schrieb U.S. Janet B.:
> >
> >> the idea of cheese and sausage living together inside an old sausage
> >> doesn't seem right to me. Maybe they do something to keep the cheese
> >> from getting slimy. If the sausage-cheese mixture was made today and
> >> consumed today I guess it would be o.k.
> >> Janet US

> >Check this out, especially "Käsekrainer":
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnio...nd_preparation
> >
> >Nothing old involved.
> >But what it's called in Vienna sounds disgusting indeed:
> >"Eitrige" ("purulent")... ;-D
> >
> >Bye, Sanne.

> by old, I meant a sausage that was made in previous weeks.

And I still don't know where that idea came from. Those sausages are freshly
made and/or so salty that there's no risk of spoilage. ;-)

Bye, Sanne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 15:42:58 -0400, wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 09:58:08 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 00:12:28 -0500, Sqwertz >
>>wrote:

>>>I make an Italian sub probably every other day. I always have a good
>>>ham, salami of the week, pepperoni, mortadella, provolone, and some
>>>sort of giardiniera, olive salad, or peperoncini on hand. And I buy a
>>>couple types of rolls which I put in the freezer so they're always on
>>>hand. My current roll is the La Brea/Costco torta rolls which come in
>>>12 packs and freeze well.
>>>
>>>I picked up the Trader Joes brand provolone yesterday and I'm pretty
>>>impressed with it. It's tastier than the other brands I've been
>>>buying. $6/lb in 12oz packages ($4.49).
>>>
>>>-sw

>>the problem with making a sub at home is getting the meat and cheese
>>cut thin enough. I'm done trying. I just go to Blimpie's
>>Janet US

>Your deli doesn't have a slicer?!?!?
>Blimpies is like Subway, fake cold cuts.

The meat and cheese is sliced right in front of my eyes for my
Blimpies sandwich. The meat and cheese are kept refrigerated and the
sandwich maker wears gloves. I know you like Boar's Head but I don't.
There's just something about the seasoning that makes not like it.
Janet US

==

You could buy a lump of whatever and slice it to your preference at home. I
have an electric slicer and they are not expensive.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 May 2017 15:24:55 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:
snip

>You could buy a lump of whatever and slice it to your preference at home. I
>have an electric slicer and they are not expensive.

I had a slicer and got rid of it to eliminate clutter. Getting a
Blimpie is easy and satisfying.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Mon, 1 May 2017 15:24:55 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:
snip

>You could buy a lump of whatever and slice it to your preference at home.
>have an electric slicer and they are not expensive.

I had a slicer and got rid of it to eliminate clutter. Getting a
Blimpie is easy and satisfying.
Janet US

==

So long as it suits you

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Mon 01 May 2017 09:51:12a, Ophelia told us...

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>
> On Mon, 1 May 2017 15:24:55 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
> snip
>>
>>You could buy a lump of whatever and slice it to your preference
>>at home. I
>>have an electric slicer and they are not expensive.

> I had a slicer and got rid of it to eliminate clutter. Getting a
> Blimpie is easy and satisfying.
> Janet US
>
> ==
>
> So long as it suits you

None of the "sub" shops I've ever eaten in satisfieed me. In Phoenix
we have Jimmy John's, Quiznos, Port of Subs, Subway, Blimpie, and a
fair number of indepedent non-chain shops. Either I don't like the
selection of meats, cheese, rolls, or condiments, or whatever passes
for the end result.

We have two different family owned and run Italian markets where I
can find more types of meats and cheesesthat are all top quality and
imported from Italy. Everything is sliced to order and to the
requested thinness. I'd much rather take a selection of all the
ingredienets home with me and make my own.

That's what suits me. :-)

Wayne Boatwright

==

And nothing wrong with that either lol I have never been in a subway (the
smell of it when I pass is enough) and I have never even seen the rest))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 May 2017 20:15:53 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
79.44...

>On Mon 01 May 2017 09:51:12a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>>
>> On Mon, 1 May 2017 15:24:55 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>>You could buy a lump of whatever and slice it to your preference
>>>at home. I
>>>have an electric slicer and they are not expensive.

>> I had a slicer and got rid of it to eliminate clutter. Getting a
>> Blimpie is easy and satisfying.
>> Janet US
>>
>> ==
>>
>> So long as it suits you

>None of the "sub" shops I've ever eaten in satisfieed me. In Phoenix
>we have Jimmy John's, Quiznos, Port of Subs, Subway, Blimpie, and a
>fair number of indepedent non-chain shops. Either I don't like the
>selection of meats, cheese, rolls, or condiments, or whatever passes
>for the end result.
>
>We have two different family owned and run Italian markets where I
>can find more types of meats and cheesesthat are all top quality and
>imported from Italy. Everything is sliced to order and to the
>requested thinness. I'd much rather take a selection of all the
>ingredienets home with me and make my own.
>
>That's what suits me. :-)
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
>==
>
>And nothing wrong with that either lol I have never been in a subway (the
>smell of it when I pass is enough) and I have never even seen the rest))

what smell? You must be thinking of another shop. Subway is a
sandwich shop. Unless you are bothered by the smell of bread baking?
Janet US