Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Melting ingredients

If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be added to
the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt that
small amount? Sauce pan? Seems impractical for such a small
amount without a lot of waste. Maybe put the butter in the
measuring spoon in a plate for 5 - 10 seconds in a microwave?
Melting over a gas range burner wouldn't work because I use
plastic measuring spoons. There's probably a simple way. I'd
Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2017 9:38 AM, KenK wrote:
> If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be added to
> the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt that
> small amount

Microwave it in a small bowl first that you will then add dry ingredients.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 9:38:53 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be added to
> the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt that
> small amount? Sauce pan? Seems impractical for such a small
> amount without a lot of waste. Maybe put the butter in the
> measuring spoon in a plate for 5 - 10 seconds in a microwave?
> Melting over a gas range burner wouldn't work because I use
> plastic measuring spoons. There's probably a simple way. I'd
> Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.

That is a very small amount, and a good percentage of the butter
will stay in whatever you melt it in. What are you making?

If the dry ingredients have a lot more volume than the butter,
I'd consider using vegetable oil just for convenience.

Other options include melting the butter in a bowl and adding
the dry ingredients to the butter, but that might result in
incomplete mixing.

I'd also consider melting about a tablespoon of butter, measuring
off a teaspoon, and then finding some other use for the other
2 teaspoons of butter. Melted and re-solidified butter is a little
weird in texture because the water fraction doesn't go back into
the fat, but it's perfectly tasty.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton > wrote in
:

> On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 9:38:53 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
>> If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be

added to
>> the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt

that
>> small amount? Sauce pan? Seems impractical for such a small
>> amount without a lot of waste. Maybe put the butter in the
>> measuring spoon in a plate for 5 - 10 seconds in a

microwave?
>> Melting over a gas range burner wouldn't work because I use
>> plastic measuring spoons. There's probably a simple way.

I'd
>> Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.

> That is a very small amount, and a good percentage of the

butter
> will stay in whatever you melt it in. What are you making?

Tortillas with a paleo recipe using coconut oil (mine is
solid), coconut flour and other stuff. It calls for a tsp of
coconut oil, melted and added to the other ingredients - eggs,
water, tapioca starch & salt. I prefer it because it uses a
batter you pour in a small frying pan like a pancake, not a
bread-like combination where you remove small balls of the
ingredients and roll them out and fry or bake. Much simpler.

> If the dry ingredients have a lot more volume than the

butter,
> I'd consider using vegetable oil just for convenience.
>
> Other options include melting the butter in a bowl and

adding
> the dry ingredients to the butter, but that might result in
> incomplete mixing.
>
> I'd also consider melting about a tablespoon of butter,

measuring
> off a teaspoon, and then finding some other use for the

other
> 2 teaspoons of butter. Melted and re-solidified butter is a

little
> weird in texture because the water fraction doesn't go back

into
> the fat, but it's perfectly tasty.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 12:28:42 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 9:38:53 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> >> If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be

> added to
> >> the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt

> that
> >> small amount? Sauce pan? Seems impractical for such a small
> >> amount without a lot of waste. Maybe put the butter in the
> >> measuring spoon in a plate for 5 - 10 seconds in a

> microwave?
> >> Melting over a gas range burner wouldn't work because I use
> >> plastic measuring spoons. There's probably a simple way.

> I'd
> >> Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.

> > That is a very small amount, and a good percentage of the

> butter
> > will stay in whatever you melt it in. What are you making?

> Tortillas with a paleo recipe using coconut oil (mine is
> solid), coconut flour and other stuff. It calls for a tsp of
> coconut oil, melted and added to the other ingredients - eggs,
> water, tapioca starch & salt. I prefer it because it uses a
> batter you pour in a small frying pan like a pancake, not a
> bread-like combination where you remove small balls of the
> ingredients and roll them out and fry or bake. Much simpler.

If it's a pourable batter, then mixing is probably not an issue.
I'm surprised it tells you to mix the fat with the dry team;
it's generally considered part of the wet team.

I'd probably put a glob of coconut oil in a small glass dish,
melt it, spoon out a teaspoon, and let the remainder cool and
solidify again. Every time melted coconut oil was needed I'd
re-melt it until it was all gone, then wash the dish and start
over the next time.

Cindy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton > wrote in news:26b6ecc4-ef90-
:

> On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 12:28:42 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton > wrote in
>> :

>> added to

>> that

>> microwave?

>> I'd
>> >
>> > That is a very small amount, and a good percentage of the

>> butter
>> > will stay in whatever you melt it in. What are you making?

>> Tortillas with a paleo recipe using coconut oil (mine is
>> solid), coconut flour and other stuff. It calls for a tsp of
>> coconut oil, melted and added to the other ingredients - eggs,
>> water, tapioca starch & salt. I prefer it because it uses a
>> batter you pour in a small frying pan like a pancake, not a
>> bread-like combination where you remove small balls of the
>> ingredients and roll them out and fry or bake. Much simpler.

> If it's a pourable batter, then mixing is probably not an issue.
> I'm surprised it tells you to mix the fat with the dry team;
> it's generally considered part of the wet team.

You are correct. My stupid mistake. The recipe calls for the coconut oil
to be melted and then mixed with the eggs and water, then the other dry
ingredients added.

> I'd probably put a glob of coconut oil in a small glass dish,
> melt it, spoon out a teaspoon, and let the remainder cool and
> solidify again. Every time melted coconut oil was needed I'd
> re-melt it until it was all gone, then wash the dish and start
> over the next time.

Great idea!

> Cindy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 6:28:42 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 9:38:53 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> >> If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be

> added to
> >> the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt

> that
> >> small amount? Sauce pan? Seems impractical for such a small
> >> amount without a lot of waste. Maybe put the butter in the
> >> measuring spoon in a plate for 5 - 10 seconds in a

> microwave?
> >> Melting over a gas range burner wouldn't work because I use
> >> plastic measuring spoons. There's probably a simple way.

> I'd
> >> Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.

> > That is a very small amount, and a good percentage of the

> butter
> > will stay in whatever you melt it in. What are you making?

> Tortillas with a paleo recipe using coconut oil (mine is
> solid), coconut flour and other stuff. It calls for a tsp of
> coconut oil, melted and added to the other ingredients - eggs,
> water, tapioca starch & salt. I prefer it because it uses a
> batter you pour in a small frying pan like a pancake, not a
> bread-like combination where you remove small balls of the
> ingredients and roll them out and fry or bake. Much simpler.
>
> > If the dry ingredients have a lot more volume than the

> butter,
> > I'd consider using vegetable oil just for convenience.
> >
> > Other options include melting the butter in a bowl and

> adding
> > the dry ingredients to the butter, but that might result in
> > incomplete mixing.
> >
> > I'd also consider melting about a tablespoon of butter,

> measuring
> > off a teaspoon, and then finding some other use for the

> other
> > 2 teaspoons of butter. Melted and re-solidified butter is a

> little
> > weird in texture because the water fraction doesn't go back

> into
> > the fat, but it's perfectly tasty.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> --
> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

Place the jar in the microwave and irradiate it until some of it is melted then just pour it out of the jar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Apr 2017 13:38:45 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be added to
>the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt that
>small amount? Sauce pan? Seems impractical for such a small
>amount without a lot of waste. Maybe put the butter in the
>measuring spoon in a plate for 5 - 10 seconds in a microwave?
>Melting over a gas range burner wouldn't work because I use
>plastic measuring spoons. There's probably a simple way. I'd
>Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.

Would help if you posted the recipe, I've never seen a recipe that
calls for one tsp of melted butter. Next you fry eggs spoon out the
tsp of melted butter... but I'm positive you're a troll.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 7:34:12 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> Would help if you posted the recipe, I've never seen a recipe that
> calls for one tsp of melted butter. Next you fry eggs spoon out the
> tsp of melted butter... but I'm positive you're a troll.

You think everybody is a troll. I find that rather ironic. What say you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in news:31v6gc1tu063hgpnghpcrk2hmviuii2g1h@
4ax.com:

> On 28 Apr 2017 13:38:45 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>

>>If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be added to
>>the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt that
>>small amount? Sauce pan? Seems impractical for such a small
>>amount without a lot of waste. Maybe put the butter in the
>>measuring spoon in a plate for 5 - 10 seconds in a microwave?
>>Melting over a gas range burner wouldn't work because I use
>>plastic measuring spoons. There's probably a simple way. I'd
>>Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.

> Would help if you posted the recipe, I've never seen a recipe that
> calls for one tsp of melted butter. Next you fry eggs spoon out the
> tsp of melted butter... but I'm positive you're a troll.

This recipe talks about a teaspoon of ghee or solid coconut oil, not
butter, but I used butter in my question because you all are familiar
with butter but some likely are not familiar with ghee or solid coconut
oil. The butter and the solid oil are similar with regard to physical
characteristics and melting properties.

I said "or whatever" to indicate I was referring to an ingredient like
butter, not necessarily butter.

I am not a troll!

Simple Paleo Tortillas
Preparation 10 mins
Cook Time 5 mins
Serves Three 8 " tortillas
Ingredients

2 large eggs
1 tsp (5 mL) melted ghee (sub: melted coconut oil)
1 tbsp (15 mL) water
1/4 cup (33 g) arrowroot powder
1 tsp (3 g) coconut flour
Pinch sea salt
*If making crepes for a sweet recipe, add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
extract

Instructions

Crack the eggs into a medium-sized bowl and whisk in the melted ghee
and water.
Add the dry ingredients—arrowroot, coconut flour and salt—and beat
well to combine.
In a small skillet (8") over medium heat, pour in about a third of
the batter and immediately roll it around to evenly coat the bottom. The
tortilla should start to pull away from the edges as it cooks.
Cook for 1 minute on each side.
If saving for later, cool completely and store in a plastic bag or
airtight glasslock container.

by Steph

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 8:04:44 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> wrote in news:31v6gc1tu063hgpnghpcrk2hmviuii2g1h@
> 4ax.com:
>
> > On 28 Apr 2017 13:38:45 GMT, KenK > wrote:
> >

> >>If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be added to
> >>the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt that
> >>small amount? Sauce pan? Seems impractical for such a small
> >>amount without a lot of waste. Maybe put the butter in the
> >>measuring spoon in a plate for 5 - 10 seconds in a microwave?
> >>Melting over a gas range burner wouldn't work because I use
> >>plastic measuring spoons. There's probably a simple way. I'd
> >>Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.

> > Would help if you posted the recipe, I've never seen a recipe that
> > calls for one tsp of melted butter. Next you fry eggs spoon out the
> > tsp of melted butter... but I'm positive you're a troll.
> >

> This recipe talks about a teaspoon of ghee or solid coconut oil, not
> butter, but I used butter in my question because you all are familiar
> with butter but some likely are not familiar with ghee or solid coconut
> oil. The butter and the solid oil are similar with regard to physical
> characteristics and melting properties.
>
> I said "or whatever" to indicate I was referring to an ingredient like
> butter, not necessarily butter.
>
> I am not a troll!
>
> Simple Paleo Tortillas
> Preparation 10 mins
> Cook Time 5 mins
> Serves Three 8 " tortillas
> Ingredients
>
> 2 large eggs
> 1 tsp (5 mL) melted ghee (sub: melted coconut oil)
> 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
> 1/4 cup (33 g) arrowroot powder
> 1 tsp (3 g) coconut flour
> Pinch sea salt
> *If making crepes for a sweet recipe, add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
> extract
>
> Instructions
>
> Crack the eggs into a medium-sized bowl and whisk in the melted ghee
> and water.
> Add the dry ingredients€”arrowroot, coconut flour and salt€”and beat
> well to combine.
> In a small skillet (8") over medium heat, pour in about a third of
> the batter and immediately roll it around to evenly coat the bottom. The
> tortilla should start to pull away from the edges as it cooks.
> Cook for 1 minute on each side.
> If saving for later, cool completely and store in a plastic bag or
> airtight glasslock container.
>
> by Steph
>

> --
> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

Microwaving a jar of ghee works fine too. We have jars of coconut oil in the kitchen and bathroom. My daughter uses it for cooking and for making hair and skin preparations. I don't use coconut oil but it is versatile product that can be used when a mild, low viscosity, oil is needed. I've used it as a hair oil. I've never used ghee in my hair though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 12:34:12 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I've never seen a recipe that
> calls for one tsp of melted butter. Next you fry eggs spoon out the
> tsp of melted butter... but I'm positive you're a troll.

Just because you've never seen a recipe for a teaspoon
of melted butter does not mean it doesn't exist nor
that he's a troll. I may be mistaken but I believe
Ken is a diabetic and this may be a recipe he's gotten
out of a diabetic cookbook or from his nutritionist.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2017 9:38 AM, KenK wrote:
> If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be added to
> the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt that
> small amount? Sauce pan? Seems impractical for such a small
> amount without a lot of waste. Maybe put the butter in the
> measuring spoon in a plate for 5 - 10 seconds in a microwave?
> Melting over a gas range burner wouldn't work because I use
> plastic measuring spoons. There's probably a simple way. I'd
> Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.
>
> TIA

Time for you to learn about souffle cups. Put a Tablespoonful (or two)
of butter in a souffle cup in the microwave.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 14:55:53 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/28/2017 9:38 AM, KenK wrote:
>> If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be added to
>> the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt that
>> small amount? Sauce pan? Seems impractical for such a small
>> amount without a lot of waste. Maybe put the butter in the
>> measuring spoon in a plate for 5 - 10 seconds in a microwave?
>> Melting over a gas range burner wouldn't work because I use
>> plastic measuring spoons. There's probably a simple way. I'd
>> Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.
>>
>> TIA
>>

>Time for you to learn about souffle cups. Put a Tablespoonful (or two)
>of butter in a souffle cup in the microwave.
>
>Jill

Puleeze, a tsp is not a couple Tbls... this Ken is a friggin'
imbecile or a troll, you choose. I say since it typed all that shit
and didn't post the recipe it's definitely a TROLL. A tsp of butter
is less than fits on my thumbnail. No one would melt just one tsp of
butter, they'd wait till they fried eggs or melted butter for
microwave popcorn, or some such. When I microwavwe air popper popcorn
I nuke a half stick, no biggie to to lift a tsp. I can melt a Tbls of
butter on a slice of rye toast easyto lift a tsp of butter.
Again, in all my years of cooking I've NEVER seen a recipe calling for
ONE TSP of melted butter. It does not exist... show me!
Only thing I can think is this freaky Ken needs to lube it's left hand
and is too fugal buy KY.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 8:26:05 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Puleeze, a tsp is not a couple Tbls... this Ken is a friggin'
> imbecile or a troll, you choose. I say since it typed all that shit
> and didn't post the recipe it's definitely a TROLL. A tsp of butter
> is less than fits on my thumbnail. No one would melt just one tsp of
> butter, they'd wait till they fried eggs or melted butter for
> microwave popcorn, or some such. When I microwavwe air popper popcorn
> I nuke a half stick, no biggie to to lift a tsp. I can melt a Tbls of
> butter on a slice of rye toast easyto lift a tsp of butter.
> Again, in all my years of cooking I've NEVER seen a recipe calling for
> ONE TSP of melted butter. It does not exist... show me!
> Only thing I can think is this freaky Ken needs to lube it's left hand
> and is too fugal buy KY.

Go have a TALL glass of whiskey, straight, and you'll feel better
in no time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 12:34:12 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I've never seen a recipe that
>> calls for one tsp of melted butter. Next you fry eggs spoon out the
>> tsp of melted butter... but I'm positive you're a troll.
>>

> Just because you've never seen a recipe for a teaspoon
> of melted butter does not mean it doesn't exist nor
> that he's a troll. I may be mistaken but I believe
> Ken is a diabetic and this may be a recipe he's gotten
> out of a diabetic cookbook or from his nutritionist.

You're mistaken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2017 4:44 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "KenK" > wrote in message
>>
>> If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of melted butter to be added to
>> the other dry ingredients, or whatever, how do you melt that
>> small amount? Sauce pan? Seems impractical for such a small
>> amount without a lot of waste. Maybe put the butter in the
>> measuring spoon in a plate for 5 - 10 seconds in a microwave?
>> Melting over a gas range burner wouldn't work because I use
>> plastic measuring spoons. There's probably a simple way. I'd
>> Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.
>>
>> TIA

> My mom had a tiny pan that she used on the stove. I use the microwave
> and a little bowl like a custard cup.

I used to have a tiny one-cup aluminium saucepan. Good for melting
small amounts of whatever. Gave it to my daughter. Now I can just
microwave a bit in a bowl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2017 7:01 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
> I use my metal measuring cups directly on the stove

heheh I've done that before. I have a nice set of stainless steel
measuring cups. I have used one for that in the past.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-29 10:41 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 4/28/2017 4:44 PM, Bovine wrote:

>> My mom had a tiny pan that she used on the stove. I use the microwave
>> and a little bowl like a custard cup.

> I used to have a tiny one-cup aluminium saucepan. Good for melting
> small amounts of whatever. Gave it to my daughter. Now I can just
> microwave a bit in a bowl.

There are a number of ways to melt butter, depending on how much of a
hurry you are in. I sometimes put some amounts in a measuring up over
the back burner with the vent and use the heat from the oven. I might do
similar and turn the burner on low. If I am greasing a pan I set it on
the back burner as above and by the time I am ready to pour batter in
the pan it is softened or melted enough to rub around the pan.

I have agree with Sheldon in his questioning of the amount. I can't
recall ever seeing a recipe that calls for such a small amount of melted
butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in
:

> On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 12:34:12 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I've never seen a recipe that
>> calls for one tsp of melted butter. Next you fry eggs spoon out the
>> tsp of melted butter... but I'm positive you're a troll.
>>

> Just because you've never seen a recipe for a teaspoon
> of melted butter does not mean it doesn't exist nor
> that he's a troll. I may be mistaken but I believe
> Ken is a diabetic and this may be a recipe he's gotten
> out of a diabetic cookbook or from his nutritionist.

Similar. I am trying to follow a very very strict anti-infammatory diet
from my doctor. Anti-gluten, soy, corn, sugar and much else. Like vegan
but much worse. This is one of my attempts at tortillas that follow the
diet rules.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:51:29 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-04-29 10:41 AM, Gary wrote:
>> On 4/28/2017 4:44 PM, Bovine wrote:

>>> My mom had a tiny pan that she used on the stove. I use the microwave
>>> and a little bowl like a custard cup.

>> I used to have a tiny one-cup aluminium saucepan. Good for melting
>> small amounts of whatever. Gave it to my daughter. Now I can just
>> microwave a bit in a bowl.

>There are a number of ways to melt butter, depending on how much of a
>hurry you are in. I sometimes put some amounts in a measuring up over
>the back burner with the vent and use the heat from the oven. I might do
>similar and turn the burner on low. If I am greasing a pan I set it on
>the back burner as above and by the time I am ready to pour batter in
>the pan it is softened or melted enough to rub around the pan.
>
>I have agree with Sheldon in his questioning of the amount. I can't
>recall ever seeing a recipe that calls for such a small amount of melted
>butter.

I melt butter often for air popped popcorn, I melt a half stick in a
Pyrex measuring cup in the nuker... very easy to scrape out with a
silicone spatula. I don't like m icrowaved popcorn, that chemical
stench makes me lose my appetite... and the house stinks for hours.
I've popped corn in a pot on the stovetop but that takes time and time
for clean up. My air popper is fast and so is clean up, just the
Pyrex cup, spatula, and my 24 cup SS bowl that we share from, two cats
like popcorn also... they won't eat that chemical laden microwave
popcorn, cats are smart, only real butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Apr 2017 15:59:45 GMT, KenK > wrote:

" > wrote in
:

>> On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 12:34:12 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never seen a recipe that
>>> calls for one tsp of melted butter. Next you fry eggs spoon out the
>>> tsp of melted butter... but I'm positive you're a troll.
>>>

>> Just because you've never seen a recipe for a teaspoon
>> of melted butter does not mean it doesn't exist nor
>> that he's a troll. I may be mistaken but I believe
>> Ken is a diabetic and this may be a recipe he's gotten
>> out of a diabetic cookbook or from his nutritionist.
>>

>Similar. I am trying to follow a very very strict anti-infammatory diet
>from my doctor. Anti-gluten, soy, corn, sugar and much else. Like vegan
>but much worse. This is one of my attempts at tortillas that follow the
>diet rules.

Had you offered information about your use for so small a quantity of
melted butter it would be simple to help you. If I peridically used a
small amount of melted butter I'd place a few Tbls in a small jelly
jar, melt in the microwave, spoon out what I need, then cap the jar
and refrigerate. Next time do the same with the remainder, takes mere
seconds to melt a few Tbls of butter in a microwave. Depending how
often you use that tiny amount of butter you can even place that jar
in the freezer, it'll keep a lot longer.
I would suggest preparing a quantity of tortillas all at once and
freezing them, then use as needed... save yourself a lot of time and
effort.
Why don't you simply buy tortillas, corn tortillas
don't contain more than corn, water, and a wee bit of vegetable oil.
Buy these; organic, glutten free, and kosher:
https://www.amazon.com/Del-Campo-Sof...en%2Bfree&th=1
I don't think it pays to make just a few tortillas. If you are near a
Latino neighborhood you can buy many brands of freshly made that day
still hot tortillas for cheap, and the ingredients are listed on the
package. Where I lived previously there was a large Latino
population, I could buy maybe twenty brands of locally made tortillas,
different sizes, different thicknesses up to gorditas... purchased in
the morning they were still hot, mountains of them displayed
http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-gorditas-s-story.html
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/h...made-masa.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 10:49:37 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > Just because you've never seen a recipe for a teaspoon
> > of melted butter does not mean it doesn't exist nor
> > that he's a troll. I may be mistaken but I believe
> > Ken is a diabetic and this may be a recipe he's gotten
> > out of a diabetic cookbook or from his nutritionist.

> You're mistaken.

Thank you Julie for that correction and revelation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 10:59:49 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

> " > wrote in
> :
>
> > I may be mistaken but I believe
> > Ken is a diabetic and this may be a recipe he's gotten
> > out of a diabetic cookbook or from his nutritionist.
> >

> Similar. I am trying to follow a very very strict anti-infammatory diet
> from my doctor. Anti-gluten, soy, corn, sugar and much else. Like vegan
> but much worse. This is one of my attempts at tortillas that follow the
> diet rules.

Let us know how this recipe turns out when you make the
tortillas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 10:26:15 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> Had you offered information about your use for so small a quantity of
> melted butter it would be simple to help you. If I peridically used a
> small amount of melted butter I'd place a few Tbls in a small jelly
> jar, melt in the microwave, spoon out what I need, then cap the jar
> and refrigerate. Next time do the same with the remainder, takes mere
> seconds to melt a few Tbls of butter in a microwave. Depending how
> often you use that tiny amount of butter you can even place that jar
> in the freezer, it'll keep a lot longer.
> I would suggest preparing a quantity of tortillas all at once and
> freezing them, then use as needed... save yourself a lot of time and
> effort.
> Why don't you simply buy tortillas, corn tortillas
> don't contain more than corn, water, and a wee bit of vegetable oil.
> Buy these; organic, glutten free, and kosher:
> https://www.amazon.com/Del-Campo-Sof...en%2Bfree&th=1
> I don't think it pays to make just a few tortillas. If you are near a
> Latino neighborhood you can buy many brands of freshly made that day
> still hot tortillas for cheap, and the ingredients are listed on the
> package. Where I lived previously there was a large Latino
> population, I could buy maybe twenty brands of locally made tortillas,
> different sizes, different thicknesses up to gorditas... purchased in
> the morning they were still hot, mountains of them displayed
> http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-gorditas-s-story.html
> http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/h...made-masa.html

The OP does not want to know how to melt butter. What he actually wanted to know is how to melt a small quantity of coconut oil. He only said "butter" because he assumed that coconut oil would be something the folks here would be unfamiliar with. This was a serious mistake because the subject of butter: the how, what, and why, has pretty much dominated the thread. Had he just stated what he wanted, all this could have been avoided.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 10:26:15 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> Had you offered information about your use for so small a quantity of
> melted butter it would be simple to help you. If I peridically used a
> small amount of melted butter I'd place a few Tbls in a small jelly
> jar, melt in the microwave, spoon out what I need, then cap the jar
> and refrigerate. Next time do the same with the remainder, takes mere
> seconds to melt a few Tbls of butter in a microwave. Depending how
> often you use that tiny amount of butter you can even place that jar
> in the freezer, it'll keep a lot longer.
> I would suggest preparing a quantity of tortillas all at once and
> freezing them, then use as needed... save yourself a lot of time and
> effort.
> Why don't you simply buy tortillas, corn tortillas
> don't contain more than corn, water, and a wee bit of vegetable oil.
> Buy these; organic, glutten free, and kosher:
> https://www.amazon.com/Del-Campo-Sof...en%2Bfree&th=1
> I don't think it pays to make just a few tortillas. If you are near a
> Latino neighborhood you can buy many brands of freshly made that day
> still hot tortillas for cheap, and the ingredients are listed on the
> package. Where I lived previously there was a large Latino
> population, I could buy maybe twenty brands of locally made tortillas,
> different sizes, different thicknesses up to gorditas... purchased in
> the morning they were still hot, mountains of them displayed
> http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-gorditas-s-story.html
> http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/h...made-masa.html

The OP does not want to know how to melt butter. What he actually wanted to
know is how to melt a small quantity of coconut oil. He only said "butter"
because he assumed that coconut oil would be something the folks here would
be unfamiliar with. This was a serious mistake because the subject of
butter: the how, what, and why, has pretty much dominated the thread. Had he
just stated what he wanted, all this could have been avoided.

---

I see that now. coconut oil is much easier to melt. Just run the jar under
some hot water near the top. Won't take long for a teaspoon of it to melt.
And he will soon find out as the weather warms (unless perhaps he has AC in
the kitchen) that it will be liquid then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 5:59:54 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1ahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 10:26:15 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Had you offered information about your use for so small a quantity of
> > melted butter it would be simple to help you. If I peridically used a
> > small amount of melted butter I'd place a few Tbls in a small jelly
> > jar, melt in the microwave, spoon out what I need, then cap the jar
> > and refrigerate. Next time do the same with the remainder, takes mere
> > seconds to melt a few Tbls of butter in a microwave. Depending how
> > often you use that tiny amount of butter you can even place that jar
> > in the freezer, it'll keep a lot longer.
> > I would suggest preparing a quantity of tortillas all at once and
> > freezing them, then use as needed... save yourself a lot of time and
> > effort.
> > Why don't you simply buy tortillas, corn tortillas
> > don't contain more than corn, water, and a wee bit of vegetable oil.
> > Buy these; organic, glutten free, and kosher:
> > https://www.amazon.com/Del-Campo-Sof...en%2Bfree&th=1
> > I don't think it pays to make just a few tortillas. If you are near a
> > Latino neighborhood you can buy many brands of freshly made that day
> > still hot tortillas for cheap, and the ingredients are listed on the
> > package. Where I lived previously there was a large Latino
> > population, I could buy maybe twenty brands of locally made tortillas,
> > different sizes, different thicknesses up to gorditas... purchased in
> > the morning they were still hot, mountains of them displayed
> > http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-gorditas-s-story.html
> > http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/h...made-masa.html

> The OP does not want to know how to melt butter. What he actually wanted to
> know is how to melt a small quantity of coconut oil. He only said "butter"
> because he assumed that coconut oil would be something the folks here would
> be unfamiliar with. This was a serious mistake because the subject of
> butter: the how, what, and why, has pretty much dominated the thread. Had he
> just stated what he wanted, all this could have been avoided.
>

> ---
>
> I see that now. coconut oil is much easier to melt. Just run the jar under
> some hot water near the top. Won't take long for a teaspoon of it to melt.
> And he will soon find out as the weather warms (unless perhaps he has AC in
> the kitchen) that it will be liquid then.

I am only here to help and enlighten.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Apr 2017 13:38:45 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> There's probably a simple way. I'd
> Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.
>
> TIA

Google 4 oz glass custard cup or ramekin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 12:05:04 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2017 13:38:45 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
> > There's probably a simple way. I'd
> > Google but can't think of a good search phrase offhand.
> >
> > TIA

> Google 4 oz glass custard cup or ramekin.
>

> --
> Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them.

Coconut oil and ghee will typically already be in glass jars. What's the point of transferring them to a different container to melt? My jar of ghee completely melted in 15 seconds in the microwave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in
:

https://www.amazon.com/Del-Campo-Sof...00DQC0TTQ/ref=
> sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1493493973&sr=8-1&keywords=corn%2Btortillas%2Bg
> luten%2Bfree&th=1 I don't think it pays to make just a few tortillas.
> If you are near a Latino neighborhood you can buy many brands of
> freshly made that day still hot tortillas for cheap, and the
> ingredients are listed on the package. Where I lived previously there
> was a large Latino population, I could buy maybe twenty brands of
> locally made tortillas, different sizes, different thicknesses up to
> gorditas... purchased in the morning they were still hot, mountains of
> them displayed http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-gorditas-s-story.html
> http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/h...ith-homemade-m
> asa.html

I'm not supposed to eat gluten or corn among other things so that removes
all the tortillas I checked from consideration - at least at Walmart and
Albertson's groceries. I can easily make the paleo tortillas in a few
minutes so why bother hunting for something on line?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in
:

> On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 10:59:49 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
>>
>> " > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > I may be mistaken but I believe
>> > Ken is a diabetic and this may be a recipe he's gotten
>> > out of a diabetic cookbook or from his nutritionist.
>> >

>> Similar. I am trying to follow a very very strict anti-infammatory

diet
>> from my doctor. Anti-gluten, soy, corn, sugar and much else. Like

vegan
>> but much worse. This is one of my attempts at tortillas that follow

the
>> diet rules.
>>

> Let us know how this recipe turns out when you make the
> tortillas.

I thought it was good. I use them for burritos which is about all I use
tortillas for, but make them a lot. Or at least do now again. What I can
taste of the tortilla tastes fine. Very simple and easy to make, even for
me!

I use spicy refried beans and some left-over chicken thigh or breast in
them as a rule, which pretty much overwhelms most of the tortilla taste.
Unfortunately, no more cheese, which I used to include. Wish they sold a
vegan cheese locally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 12:44:17 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

> " > wrote in
> :
>

> > Let us know how this recipe turns out when you make the
> > tortillas.
> >

> I thought it was good. I use them for burritos which is about all I use
> tortillas for, but make them a lot. Or at least do now again. What I can
> taste of the tortilla tastes fine. Very simple and easy to make, even for
> me!
>
> I use spicy refried beans and some left-over chicken thigh or breast in
> them as a rule, which pretty much overwhelms most of the tortilla taste.
> Unfortunately, no more cheese, which I used to include. Wish they sold a
> vegan cheese locally.

Glad they turned out tasty and you're happy with them.
I've used the flour tortillas, store bought, and have
made just plain sandwiches with them. Pretty darn good
for sandwiches. I know at my local Kroger they stock
a vegan cheese but have no idea how it tastes. If you
have a Walmart superstore, Kroger, or Publix near you
check out their vegan/organic aisle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> " > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 10:59:49 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
>>>
>>> " > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Similar. I am trying to follow a very very strict anti-infammatory

> diet
>>> from my doctor. Anti-gluten, soy, corn, sugar and much else. Like

> vegan
>>> but much worse. This is one of my attempts at tortillas that follow

> the
>>> diet rules.
>>>

>> Let us know how this recipe turns out when you make the
>> tortillas.
>>

> I thought it was good. I use them for burritos which is about all I use
> tortillas for, but make them a lot. Or at least do now again. What I can
> taste of the tortilla tastes fine. Very simple and easy to make, even for
> me!
>
> I use spicy refried beans and some left-over chicken thigh or breast in
> them as a rule, which pretty much overwhelms most of the tortilla taste.
> Unfortunately, no more cheese, which I used to include. Wish they sold a
> vegan cheese locally.

Whole foods carry some nice nut cheese but they are expensive. If you have a
food processor, you can make them at home. This one actually calls for a
blender.

http://www.food.com/recipe/best-vega...e-sauce-296110

What I used to make was very similar except that I think I used a little
orange or lemon juice and hot peppers. I used to make two different kinds.
One used cashews and the other, macadamia nuts. Mine was a raw recipe so it
wasn't cooked. Just whizzed up in the food processor. There are plenty of
other recipes out there if this one won't work for you.

I am not sure what all stores you have besides Walmart. I don't think they
sell the Daiya but most other stores in this area do. Some stores don't have
it with the regular cheeses though. For instance, one Albertsons has it on
peg hooks above the produce. Another Albertsons has it with the yogurt and
butter. Their website probably has a search function to show who sells it
near you.

http://daiyafoods.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
news

> "KenK" > wrote in message
>> " > wrote in
>> :

>> diet

>> vegan

>> the
>>>>

>>> Let us know how this recipe turns out when you make the
>>> tortillas.
>>>

>> I thought it was good. I use them for burritos which is about all I
>> use tortillas for, but make them a lot. Or at least do now again.
>> What I can taste of the tortilla tastes fine. Very simple and easy to
>> make, even for me!
>>
>> I use spicy refried beans and some left-over chicken thigh or breast
>> in them as a rule, which pretty much overwhelms most of the tortilla
>> taste. Unfortunately, no more cheese, which I used to include. Wish
>> they sold a vegan cheese locally.

> Whole foods carry some nice nut cheese but they are expensive.

No Whole Foods here.

> If you
> have a food processor, you can make them at home. This one actually
> calls for a blender.
>
> http://www.food.com/recipe/best-vega...e-sauce-296110
>
> What I used to make was very similar except that I think I used a
> little orange or lemon juice and hot peppers. I used to make two
> different kinds. One used cashews and the other, macadamia nuts. Mine
> was a raw recipe so it wasn't cooked. Just whizzed up in the food
> processor. There are plenty of other recipes out there if this one
> won't work for you.

I'll check into that.

I checked for vegan cheese sales locally but didn't think to look for a
recipe. I've never made or tried to make cheese. I don't recall my parents
doing so when we lived on the farm either.

> I am not sure what all stores you have besides Walmart.

About all are Safeway and Albertson. So far, If anyone has something it's
been the Walmart Neighborhood Market.

> I don't think
> they sell the Daiya but most other stores in this area do. Some stores
> don't have it with the regular cheeses though. For instance, one
> Albertsons has it on peg hooks above the produce. Another Albertsons
> has it with the yogurt and butter. Their website probably has a search
> function to show who sells it near you.

I'll check my Albertson again.

> http://daiyafoods.com/

They have a 'Find Us' selection but I couldn't get it to respond. <sigh>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 3:48:55 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> Whole foods carry some nice nut cheese but they are expensive. If you have a
> food processor, you can make them at home. This one actually calls for a
> blender.
>
> http://www.food.com/recipe/best-vega...e-sauce-296110
>
> What I used to make was very similar except that I think I used a little
> orange or lemon juice and hot peppers. I used to make two different kinds.
> One used cashews and the other, macadamia nuts. Mine was a raw recipe so it
> wasn't cooked. Just whizzed up in the food processor. There are plenty of
> other recipes out there if this one won't work for you.
>
> I am not sure what all stores you have besides Walmart. I don't think they
> sell the Daiya but most other stores in this area do. Some stores don't have
> it with the regular cheeses though. For instance, one Albertsons has it on
> peg hooks above the produce. Another Albertsons has it with the yogurt and
> butter. Their website probably has a search function to show who sells it
> near you.
>
> http://daiyafoods.com/

That's pretty damn amazing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> news >
>>
>> "KenK" > wrote in message
>>> " > wrote in
>>> :

>>> diet
>>> vegan
>>> the

>>> I thought it was good. I use them for burritos which is about all I
>>> use tortillas for, but make them a lot. Or at least do now again.
>>> What I can taste of the tortilla tastes fine. Very simple and easy to
>>> make, even for me!
>>>
>>> I use spicy refried beans and some left-over chicken thigh or breast
>>> in them as a rule, which pretty much overwhelms most of the tortilla
>>> taste. Unfortunately, no more cheese, which I used to include. Wish
>>> they sold a vegan cheese locally.

>> Whole foods carry some nice nut cheese but they are expensive.

> No Whole Foods here.
>
>> If you
>> have a food processor, you can make them at home. This one actually
>> calls for a blender.
>>
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/best-vega...e-sauce-296110
>>
>> What I used to make was very similar except that I think I used a
>> little orange or lemon juice and hot peppers. I used to make two
>> different kinds. One used cashews and the other, macadamia nuts. Mine
>> was a raw recipe so it wasn't cooked. Just whizzed up in the food
>> processor. There are plenty of other recipes out there if this one
>> won't work for you.

> I'll check into that.
>
> I checked for vegan cheese sales locally but didn't think to look for a
> recipe. I've never made or tried to make cheese. I don't recall my parents
> doing so when we lived on the farm either.
>
>> I am not sure what all stores you have besides Walmart.

> About all are Safeway and Albertson. So far, If anyone has something it's
> been the Walmart Neighborhood Market.
>
>> I don't think
>> they sell the Daiya but most other stores in this area do. Some stores
>> don't have it with the regular cheeses though. For instance, one
>> Albertsons has it on peg hooks above the produce. Another Albertsons
>> has it with the yogurt and butter. Their website probably has a search
>> function to show who sells it near you.

> I'll check my Albertson again.
>

>> http://daiyafoods.com/
>>

> They have a 'Find Us' selection but I couldn't get it to respond. <sigh>

Might just need patience. I tried it and thought it did nothing. Then I
scrolled down. Bottom right has a spot for zip code. Put mine in and again
thought it did nothing but a couple of minutes later, it appeared. Says both
Safeway and Albertsons has it. Might not be with the other cheeses though.
You might have to ask in the store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
news

> "KenK" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>> news >>

>>> Whole foods carry some nice nut cheese but they are expensive.

>> No Whole Foods here.
>>
>>> If you
>>> have a food processor, you can make them at home. This one actually
>>> calls for a blender.
>>>
>>> http://www.food.com/recipe/best-vega...e-sauce-296110
>>>
>>> What I used to make was very similar except that I think I used a
>>> little orange or lemon juice and hot peppers. I used to make two
>>> different kinds. One used cashews and the other, macadamia nuts.
>>> Mine was a raw recipe so it wasn't cooked. Just whizzed up in the
>>> food processor. There are plenty of other recipes out there if this
>>> one won't work for you.

>> I'll check into that.
>>
>> I checked for vegan cheese sales locally but didn't think to look for
>> a recipe. I've never made or tried to make cheese. I don't recall my
>> parents doing so when we lived on the farm either.
>>
>>> I am not sure what all stores you have besides Walmart.

>> About all are Safeway and Albertson. So far, If anyone has something
>> it's been the Walmart Neighborhood Market.
>>
>>> I don't think
>>> they sell the Daiya but most other stores in this area do. Some
>>> stores don't have it with the regular cheeses though. For instance,
>>> one Albertsons has it on peg hooks above the produce. Another
>>> Albertsons has it with the yogurt and butter. Their website probably
>>> has a search function to show who sells it near you.

>> I'll check my Albertson again.
>>

>>> http://daiyafoods.com/
>>>

>> They have a 'Find Us' selection but I couldn't get it to respond.
>> <sigh>

> Might just need patience. I tried it and thought it did nothing. Then
> I scrolled down. Bottom right has a spot for zip code. Put mine in and
> again thought it did nothing but a couple of minutes later, it
> appeared. Says both Safeway and Albertsons has it. Might not be with
> the other cheeses though. You might have to ask in the store.

More likely a more expemsive mouse! <g>

Only search windows I saw were for recipes and a product locator, which
would not accept digits.

Presumably my request would say Safeway and Albertson too so I will look
in them.

Thanks for your help.