Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hey Jill.

I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-27 3:17 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.

I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
kits. Once again I am reminded of stadium nacho cheese sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-04-27 3:17 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
>> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
>> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
>> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.

>I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
>kits. Once again I am reminded of stadium nacho cheese sauce.

Tell me about the contents of this package. I don't know because I
didn't read it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-04-27 3:17 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
>> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
>> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
>> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.

>I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
>kits.

I once set my kitchen table on fire with one of those.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-27 4:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2017-04-27 3:17 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
>>> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
>>> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
>>> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.

>> I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
>> kits.

> I once set my kitchen table on fire with one of those.

And you expect us to be surprised? ;-)

I cringe at the thought of deep frying turkeys. It is often done as a
sort of a guy project by someone who are not particularly experienced at
frying. There tends to be considerable beer consumption and a lot of
sputtering hot oil over an open flame. It is an accident waiting to happen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:17:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.
> Janet US

Those have always been there, never went away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2017 5:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I cringe at the thought of deep frying turkeys. It is often done as a
> sort of a guy project by someone who are not particularly experienced at
> frying. There tends to be considerable beer consumption and a lot of
> sputtering hot oil over an open flame. It is an accident waiting to happen.

I've done it twice. On the lawn, away from the house and garage, no
alcohol involved. Idiots have set houses on fire though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2017-04-27 3:17 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
> > refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
> > Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
> > is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.

> I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
> kits. Once again I am reminded of stadium nacho cheese sauce.

This is the one that's ubiquitous where I live - grocery store, World
Market, wherever.
https://az836796.vo.msecnd.net/media...7301500081.jpg

Ingredients
Swiss Emmentaler and Guryere cheese, white wine, Kirsch brandy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-04-27 5:24 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2017-04-27 3:17 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
>>> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
>>> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
>>> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.

>> I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
>> kits. Once again I am reminded of stadium nacho cheese sauce.
>>

> This is the one that's ubiquitous where I live - grocery store, World
> Market, wherever.
> https://az836796.vo.msecnd.net/media...7301500081.jpg
>
> Ingredients
> Swiss Emmentaler and Guryere cheese, white wine, Kirsch brandy.

Phew. I had visions of something in a squeeze pouch and dyed the
perfect colour. Given that the ingredients for fondue as so basic, one
wonders why they would need it ready made... other than kirsch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2017 3:17 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.
> Janet US

LOL That's funny! And quite timely.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2017 5:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-27 4:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
>>> kits.

>> I once set my kitchen table on fire with one of those.

> And you expect us to be surprised? ;-)

I don't use the denatured alcohol burner that came with my fondue set.
I use a small container of Sterno - which is a semi-solid gel. I also
always place the fondue pot on a glass "cutting board" (no, I wouldn't
use it as an actual cutting board, it's just pretty).

> I cringe at the thought of deep frying turkeys. It is often done as a
> sort of a guy project by someone who are not particularly experienced at
> frying. There tends to be considerable beer consumption and a lot of
> sputtering hot oil over an open flame. It is an accident waiting to happen.

That fad seems to have passed, thank goodness. Used to be you'd hear
about people doing something ridiculous like deep frying a turkey in an
enclosed garage, or on a wooden deck. Not one of these people had any
concept of how to measure oil before dropping a big-ass turkey into it.
They'd just fill it up and be surprised when the hot oil overflowed
burning everything (and anyone) in sight. Of course, copious amounts of
beer were usually involved.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2017 5:29 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-04-27 5:24 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
>>> kits. Once again I am reminded of stadium nacho cheese sauce.
>>>

>> This is the one that's ubiquitous where I live - grocery store, World
>> Market, wherever.
>> https://az836796.vo.msecnd.net/media...7301500081.jpg
>>

>> Ingredients
>> Swiss Emmentaler and Guryere cheese, white wine, Kirsch brandy.
>>

> Phew. I had visions of something in a squeeze pouch and dyed the
> perfect colour. Given that the ingredients for fondue as so basic, one
> wonders why they would need it ready made... other than kirsch.

Why? Why does anyone need bagged salad when they can easily buy a
little of whatever greens they like and tear the leafy stuff themselves?
Convenience.

I never imagined a fondue kit in stores. Then again, I've never had
what you call "stadium nacho cheese sauce" so I can't really imagine
that, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2017 4:55 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:17:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
>> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
>> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
>> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.

> I got some Alpenhaus brand "beer fondue" marked down at Sam's club
> about 18 months ago. I unwittingly bought two of them. Terrible
> nasty evil stuff. I still have one in the fridge - it had a
> ridiculous expiration ate on it. The stuff tastes strongly of
> alcohol. Not beer or wine, but cheap grain alcohol.
>
> -sw

Whatcha gonna do with it?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2017 5:14 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:17:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>

>> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
>> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
>> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
>> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.
>> Janet US

> Those have always been there, never went away.

I suspect she noticed it while shopping for cheeses because fondue
recently came up in discussions. It's not something I'd normally notice
in any grocery store, either. And I do shop the cheese sections when
I'm at the store. If my store has it, it's likely my eye would have
skipped right over it. Not interested in food kits.

Next time I go shopping I might notice if they have fondue kits because
I'm now aware they exist. Will I buy one? Nope.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:54:54 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/27/2017 5:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-04-27 4:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> I once set my kitchen table on fire with one of those.

>> And you expect us to be surprised? ;-)
>>

>I don't use the denatured alcohol burner that came with my fondue set.
>I use a small container of Sterno - which is a semi-solid gel. I also
>always place the fondue pot on a glass "cutting board" (no, I wouldn't
>use it as an actual cutting board, it's just pretty).
>
>> I cringe at the thought of deep frying turkeys. It is often done as a
>> sort of a guy project by someone who are not particularly experienced at
>> frying. There tends to be considerable beer consumption and a lot of
>> sputtering hot oil over an open flame. It is an accident waiting to happen.
>>

>That fad seems to have passed, thank goodness. Used to be you'd hear
>about people doing something ridiculous like deep frying a turkey in an
>enclosed garage, or on a wooden deck. Not one of these people had any
>concept of how to measure oil before dropping a big-ass turkey into it.
> They'd just fill it up and be surprised when the hot oil overflowed
>burning everything (and anyone) in sight. Of course, copious amounts of
>beer were usually involved.
>
>Jill

My fondue pot is electric as are many current turkey deep fat fryers.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:14:32 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:17:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>

>> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
>> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
>> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
>> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.
>> Janet US

>Those have always been there, never went away.

I mentioned it because someone here recently thought that fondue was
gone the way of the dodo bird.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:01:52 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:40:50 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
>>>kits. Once again I am reminded of stadium nacho cheese sauce.
>>>

>> Tell me about the contents of this package. I don't know because I
>> didn't read it.

>Looks like Costco carries the Mifroma brand, which is a good
>brand/exporter of mostly comte and gruyere cheeses. I would trust
>that brand a lot more than this Alpenhaus brand.
>
>There are no chemicals in the Mifroma it except those which facilitate
>meltability without separating - the same stuff that's used in
>American cheese. Dave's just being an ignorant turd. Not a thread
>goes by without his useless input.
>
>-sw

My reply was to point out that Dave didn't know what the heck was in
there but he still jumped to chemical and stadium nacho cheese.
Negative thinking pi**es me off. Why not start from middle ground and
find out instead of assuming the worst?
thanks Steve for checking it out for me.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2017 5:24 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2017-04-27 3:17 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
>>> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
>>> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
>>> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.

>> I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
>> kits. Once again I am reminded of stadium nacho cheese sauce.
>>

> This is the one that's ubiquitous where I live - grocery store, World
> Market, wherever.
> https://az836796.vo.msecnd.net/media...7301500081.jpg
>
> Ingredients
> Swiss Emmentaler and Guryere cheese, white wine, Kirsch brandy.

Convenient for sure, but I wonder how it compares with buying top
quality cheese and doing your own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2017 5:01 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:40:50 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
>>> kits. Once again I am reminded of stadium nacho cheese sauce.
>>>

>> Tell me about the contents of this package. I don't know because I
>> didn't read it.

> Looks like Costco carries the Mifroma brand, which is a good
> brand/exporter of mostly comte and gruyere cheeses. I would trust
> that brand a lot more than this Alpenhaus brand.
>
> There are no chemicals in the Mifroma it except those which facilitate
> meltability without separating - the same stuff that's used in
> American cheese. Dave's just being an ignorant turd. Not a thread
> goes by without his useless input.
>
> -sw

I still don't know what a "stadium nacho cheese sauce" is. I've never
seen any such thing. Then again, I've never bought junk food at a stadium.

I've also never seen a fondue "kit". Doesn't mean they aren't around.
I just don't know why Dave seems to think there cannot possibly be good
tasting fondue. Use the right cheeses, it's downright tasty.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:09:43 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-04-27 4:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
>>> kits.

>> I once set my kitchen table on fire with one of those.

>And you expect us to be surprised? ;-)

Lol, quite. I'd spilled some of the flammable liquid on the table,
there were newspapers on the table, and from there the plot thickened.

>I cringe at the thought of deep frying turkeys. It is often done as a
>sort of a guy project by someone who are not particularly experienced at
>frying. There tends to be considerable beer consumption and a lot of
>sputtering hot oil over an open flame. It is an accident waiting to happen.

Sure sounds like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2017 8:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/27/2017 5:24 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I can't see it making a comeback if they use chemical cheese fondue
>>> kits. Once again I am reminded of stadium nacho cheese sauce.
>>>

>> This is the one that's ubiquitous where I live - grocery store, World
>> Market, wherever.
>> https://az836796.vo.msecnd.net/media...7301500081.jpg
>>

>> Ingredients
>> Swiss Emmentaler and Guryere cheese, white wine, Kirsch brandy.
>>

> Convenient for sure, but I wonder how it compares with buying top
> quality cheese and doing your own.

I cannot comment on how it compares to making your own. Swiss Fondue is
very simple. Never set the table on fire, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2017 7:10 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:14:32 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:17:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
>>> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
>>> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
>>> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.
>>> Janet US

>> Those have always been there, never went away.

> I mentioned it because someone here recently thought that fondue was
> gone the way of the dodo bird.
> Janet US

That someone also thinks if anyone still enjoys food they grew up with
(including fondue) from the 1960's we must be food challenged. I don't
know why. We all cook a lot of different things. We discuss them.
Apparently fondue is making some sort of a comeback. Tough luck the
discussion isn't easily diverted back to Hawaii.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/27/2017 5:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-04-27 4:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> I once set my kitchen table on fire with one of those.

>> And you expect us to be surprised? ;-)
>>

> I don't use the denatured alcohol burner that came with my fondue set.
> I use a small container of Sterno - which is a semi-solid gel. I also
> always place the fondue pot on a glass "cutting board" (no, I wouldn't
> use it as an actual cutting board, it's just pretty).

I found one of those glass cutting boards at goodwill - it's great for
cutting and serving a rectangular pizza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:08:56 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/27/2017 8:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 4/27/2017 5:24 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> This is the one that's ubiquitous where I live - grocery store, World
>>> Market, wherever.
>>> https://az836796.vo.msecnd.net/media...7301500081.jpg
>>>

>>> Ingredients
>>> Swiss Emmentaler and Guryere cheese, white wine, Kirsch brandy.
>>>

>> Convenient for sure, but I wonder how it compares with buying top
>> quality cheese and doing your own.

>I cannot comment on how it compares to making your own. Swiss Fondue is
>very simple. Never set the table on fire, either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 1:10:45 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:14:32 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 13:17:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> >wrote:
> >

> >> I was shopping at Costco today and looking at cheese in the
> >> refrigerated cheese case. There was a package there called Fondue.
> >> Apparently everything is there in the package and all you have to do
> >> is drop it into the fondue pot. I guess fondue is making the rounds.
> >> Janet US

> >Those have always been there, never went away.

> I mentioned it because someone here recently thought that fondue was
> gone the way of the dodo bird.
> Janet US

That someone would be me. If you're saying that fondue is still a thing, I will accept that. Sorry if I insulted all the fondue fans on this newsgroup.. I always knew that some people were behind the times here but I never suspected that it could ever be this bad.

Now everything is starting to make sense. I'm definitely going to have to check this out! My guess is that I'll have to go to the deepest, darkest, mid-West to find this dish as it was made in the 70's!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 22:24:46 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 1:10:45 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:14:32 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >Those have always been there, never went away.

>> I mentioned it because someone here recently thought that fondue was
>> gone the way of the dodo bird.
>> Janet US

>That someone would be me. If you're saying that fondue is still a thing,
>I will accept that. Sorry if I insulted all the fondue fans on this
>newsgroup. I always knew that some people were behind the times here
>but I never suspected that it could ever be this bad.

First you apologise for insulting them and then you insult them again.
Interesting, yet disingenuous strategy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 7:40:19 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> First you apologise for insulting them and then you insult them again.
> Interesting, yet disingenuous strategy!

Let's face it, folks here revel in being behind the times. This means something. This place is not like other places. Why is that? It is a question that will be studied in the future. Rest assured that some social scientists in the future will be writing about this. We'll each have a file and our posts/interactions will be analysed and charted. We're gonna be famous - of course, we'll all be dead but you can't have everything.

Here's what I had for dinner.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...gabps6OSereilb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 4/27/2017 5:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> I cringe at the thought of deep frying turkeys. It is often done as a
>> sort of a guy project by someone who are not particularly experienced at
>> frying. There tends to be considerable beer consumption and a lot of
>> sputtering hot oil over an open flame. It is an accident waiting to
>> happen.
>>

> I've done it twice. On the lawn, away from the house and garage, no
> alcohol involved. Idiots have set houses on fire though.

idiots can set houses on fire with just about anything, including many
appliances in the kitchen, but a person who knows how to deep fry turkeys
won't. They are wonderful.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 4/27/2017 5:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-04-27 4:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:27:52 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> I once set my kitchen table on fire with one of those.

>> And you expect us to be surprised? ;-)
>>

> I don't use the denatured alcohol burner that came with my fondue set. I
> use a small container of Sterno - which is a semi-solid gel. I also
> always place the fondue pot on a glass "cutting board" (no, I wouldn't use
> it as an actual cutting board, it's just pretty).
>
>> I cringe at the thought of deep frying turkeys. It is often done as a
>> sort of a guy project by someone who are not particularly experienced at
>> frying. There tends to be considerable beer consumption and a lot of
>> sputtering hot oil over an open flame. It is an accident waiting to
>> happen.
>>

> That fad seems to have passed, thank goodness. Used to be you'd hear
> about people doing something ridiculous like deep frying a turkey in an
> enclosed garage, or on a wooden deck. Not one of these people had any
> concept of how to measure oil before dropping a big-ass turkey into it.
> They'd just fill it up and be surprised when the hot oil overflowed
> burning everything (and anyone) in sight. Of course, copious amounts of
> beer were usually involved.
>
> Jill

I haven't noticed the fad passing, probably because the people that I know
who do deep fry them never made the news with mishaps.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> I cannot comment on how it compares to making your own. Swiss Fondue is
> very simple. Never set the table on fire, either.
>
> Jill

That's because you're not an idiot.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:16:10 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>news >
>> I cannot comment on how it compares to making your own. Swiss Fondue is
>> very simple. Never set the table on fire, either.
>>
>> Jill

>That's because you're not an idiot.

Uhm...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:02:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 7:40:19 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>

>> First you apologise for insulting them and then you insult them again.
>> Interesting, yet disingenuous strategy!

>Let's face it, folks here revel in being behind the times. This means something. This place is not like other places. Why is that? It is a question that will be studied in the future. Rest assured that some social scientists in the future will be writing about this. We'll each have a file and our posts/interactions will be analysed and charted. We're gonna be famous - of course, we'll all be dead but you can't have everything.

I don't see why cheese fondue would be behind the times. It's not like
it's been superseded by something. It's kinda unique.

>Here's what I had for dinner.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...gabps6OSereilb

Looks good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 8:22:55 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:02:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsiyahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 7:40:19 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >

> >> First you apologise for insulting them and then you insult them again.
> >> Interesting, yet disingenuous strategy!

> >Let's face it, folks here revel in being behind the times. This means something. This place is not like other places. Why is that? It is a question that will be studied in the future. Rest assured that some social scientists in the future will be writing about this. We'll each have a file and our posts/interactions will be analysed and charted. We're gonna be famous - of course, we'll all be dead but you can't have everything.

> I don't see why cheese fondue would be behind the times. It's not like
> it's been superseded by something. It's kinda unique.

Fondue was popular in the US during the late 60's and 70's. No doubt the fad will pop it's ugly head up every now and then. I did meet up with the famous chocolate fountain in Las Vegas. I found the kinetics of it fascinating but it was kind of repulsive as a food i.e., Americans will love it! One day the kids may popularize this vintage pop fad but the reality is that melted cheese has never gone out of fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=174L0ao0rjc

> >Here's what I had for dinner.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...gabps6OSereilb

> Looks good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 00:32:28 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 8:22:55 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:02:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsiyahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Let's face it, folks here revel in being behind the times. This means something. This place is not like other places. Why is that? It is a question that will be studied in the future. Rest assured that some social scientists in the future will be writing about this. We'll each have a file and our posts/interactions will be analysed and charted. We're gonna be famous - of course, we'll all be dead but you can't have everything.

>> I don't see why cheese fondue would be behind the times. It's not like
>> it's been superseded by something. It's kinda unique.

>Fondue was popular in the US during the late 60's and 70's. No doubt the fad will pop it's ugly head up every now and then. I did meet up with the famous chocolate fountain in Las Vegas. I found the kinetics of it fascinating but it was kind of repulsive as a food i.e., Americans will love it! One day the kids may popularize this vintage pop fad but the reality is that melted cheese has never gone out of fashion.

Even if I'd eat meat, I'd still not be interested in a meat fondue,
but cheese fondues can be very good. With a French stick, some salad
and white wine. Chocolate fondue, I don't know.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=174L0ao0rjc

My parents had a raclette device. I liked it and especially the
raclette cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Freitag, 28. April 2017 09:50:18 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:

> Even if I'd eat meat, I'd still not be interested in a meat fondue,

Don't confuse the deep-fried stuff with a good meat fondue aka hot pot -
but with very good soup as a result!
You may use fish and seafood, too - vegetables are a must IMO.
Mushrooms, especially rehydrated shiitake, add a nice flavor to the broth.
Dips and salads (dressings served separately), rice and/or bread (depending
on the theme of the party), ...
We used to have that on New Year's Eve when we had company.

> but cheese fondues can be very good. With a French stick, some salad
> and white wine.

Mix white whine with lots of garlic and let it stand overnight - that's
the basis.

> Chocolate fondue, I don't know.

Not for me.

> My parents had a raclette device. I liked it and especially the
> raclette cheese.

Yes!

Bye, Sanne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 2:02:21 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 7:40:19 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>

> > First you apologise for insulting them and then you insult them again.
> > Interesting, yet disingenuous strategy!

> Let's face it, folks here revel in being behind the times.

How is mackerel shioyaki NOT behind the times? Why is that a
classic, yet foods that haoles have enjoyed all their lives
"behind the times"?

Really, you're just being an asshole about this.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 3:32:37 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 8:22:55 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 23:02:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsiyahoo.com>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 03:04:33 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>Am Freitag, 28. April 2017 09:50:18 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
>
>> Even if I'd eat meat, I'd still not be interested in a meat fondue,

>Don't confuse the deep-fried stuff with a good meat fondue aka hot pot -
>but with very good soup as a result!

I guess that's a different story.

>You may use fish and seafood, too - vegetables are a must IMO.
>Mushrooms, especially rehydrated shiitake, add a nice flavor to the broth.
>Dips and salads (dressings served separately), rice and/or bread (depending
>on the theme of the party), ...
>We used to have that on New Year's Eve when we had company.

I've only had the hot pot style in a Korean restaurant.

>> but cheese fondues can be very good. With a French stick, some salad
>> and white wine.

>Mix white whine with lots of garlic and let it stand overnight - that's
>the basis.

Sounds good. I believe our local cheese monger in the Netherlands sold
little bags of grated Emmenthaler and Gruyère for cheese fondue
purposes. If I recall correctly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Freitag, 28. April 2017 12:45:06 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 03:04:33 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> > wrote:
>
> >Am Freitag, 28. April 2017 09:50:18 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce:
> >
> >> Even if I'd eat meat, I'd still not be interested in a meat fondue,

> >Don't confuse the deep-fried stuff with a good meat fondue aka hot pot -
> >but with very good soup as a result!

> I guess that's a different story.

But a very tasty one. ;-)

> >You may use fish and seafood, too - vegetables are a must IMO.
> >Mushrooms, especially rehydrated shiitake, add a nice flavor to the broth.
> >Dips and salads (dressings served separately), rice and/or bread (depending
> >on the theme of the party), ...
> >We used to have that on New Year's Eve when we had company.

> I've only had the hot pot style in a Korean restaurant.

And that's nice, too!
I bought a pot for that a few years ago - but I don't really dare to use it
inside our flat (char coal) - and I doubt our neighbors'd be amused if I
used it on our balcony...

> >> but cheese fondues can be very good. With a French stick, some salad
> >> and white wine.

> >Mix white whine with lots of garlic and let it stand overnight - that's
> >the basis.

> Sounds good. I believe our local cheese monger in the Netherlands sold
> little bags of grated Emmenthaler and Gruyère for cheese fondue
> purposes. If I recall correctly.

Finely cubed (1/2 to 1 cm side length), it's much easier to handle.
Grated cheese melts too fast and tends to result in one big lump.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 04:11:45 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>And that's nice, too!
>I bought a pot for that a few years ago - but I don't really dare to use it
>inside our flat (char coal) - and I doubt our neighbors'd be amused if I
>used it on our balcony...

I guess there's a lot of camping in your future

>Finely cubed (1/2 to 1 cm side length), it's much easier to handle.
>Grated cheese melts too fast and tends to result in one big lump.

I can't remember, but you're probably right. Maybe this was how they
got rid of their leftover bits.

Jill sf[_9_] General Cooking 21 04-05-2014 01:03 AM
@Jill sf[_9_] General Cooking 13 13-12-2013 09:07 PM
(OT) Jill's Home (from Jill herself) jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 57 25-07-2008 11:04 PM
Jill Ophelia General Cooking 3 27-07-2006 12:04 AM
Where's Jill?? Andy General Cooking 19 17-11-2005 01:53 AM