Snowfeet1

Default Cornbread

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for cornbread with no flour (can't eat
it). Thanks.
Julia Altshuler

Snowfeet1 wrote:
> Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for cornbread with no flour (can't eat
> it). Thanks.

Do you mean no wheat flour or no corn flour?

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Snowfeet1 wrote:
> Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for cornbread with no flour (can't eat
> it). Thanks.

Do you mean no wheat flour or no corn flour?

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Snowfeet1 wrote:
> Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for cornbread with no flour (can't eat
> it). Thanks.

Do you mean no wheat flour or no corn flour?

--Lia

Levelwave©

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Do you mean no wheat flour or no corn flour?

Well it wouldn't be cornbread if there was no corn flour...

~john

Levelwave©

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Do you mean no wheat flour or no corn flour?

Well it wouldn't be cornbread if there was no corn flour...

~john

Levelwave©

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Levelwave=A9 wrote:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > Do you mean no wheat flour or no corn flour?

> Well it wouldn't be cornbread if there was no corn flour...
>
> ~john

Hmmm....I have a cornbread recipe that uses wheat flour and CORN!
Obviously not the traditional southern cornbread, but delicious
nevertheless.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker=09=09=09=09"As god is my witness
=09=09=09=09=09=09I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB=09=09--WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Levelwave=A9 wrote:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > Do you mean no wheat flour or no corn flour?

> Well it wouldn't be cornbread if there was no corn flour...
>
> ~john

Hmmm....I have a cornbread recipe that uses wheat flour and CORN!
Obviously not the traditional southern cornbread, but delicious
nevertheless.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker=09=09=09=09"As god is my witness
=09=09=09=09=09=09I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB=09=09--WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Levelwave=A9 wrote:

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
> > Do you mean no wheat flour or no corn flour?

> Well it wouldn't be cornbread if there was no corn flour...
>
> ~john

Hmmm....I have a cornbread recipe that uses wheat flour and CORN!
Obviously not the traditional southern cornbread, but delicious
nevertheless.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker=09=09=09=09"As god is my witness
=09=09=09=09=09=09I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB=09=09--WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Julia Altshuler

Levelwave© wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> Do you mean no wheat flour or no corn flour?

> Well it wouldn't be cornbread if there was no corn flour...

Don't be so sure. One of the coolest things about talking to people all
over the world about food and cooking is learning how the definitions of
what I think are the most ordinary foods can be wildly different
somewhere else. I wanted to be sure I knew what the original poster was
talking about before I went searching for a recipe. (By the way, I
agree with you. To my mind, cornbread is made with corn flour.)

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Levelwave© wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> Do you mean no wheat flour or no corn flour?

> Well it wouldn't be cornbread if there was no corn flour...

Don't be so sure. One of the coolest things about talking to people all
over the world about food and cooking is learning how the definitions of
what I think are the most ordinary foods can be wildly different
somewhere else. I wanted to be sure I knew what the original poster was
talking about before I went searching for a recipe. (By the way, I
agree with you. To my mind, cornbread is made with corn flour.)

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Levelwave© wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> Do you mean no wheat flour or no corn flour?

> Well it wouldn't be cornbread if there was no corn flour...

Don't be so sure. One of the coolest things about talking to people all
over the world about food and cooking is learning how the definitions of
what I think are the most ordinary foods can be wildly different
somewhere else. I wanted to be sure I knew what the original poster was
talking about before I went searching for a recipe. (By the way, I
agree with you. To my mind, cornbread is made with corn flour.)

--Lia

Snowfeet1

I can't eat wheat flour - I want a recipe for corn bread.
Snowfeet1

I can't eat wheat flour - I want a recipe for corn bread.

Terry Pulliam Burd

On 16 Nov 2004 02:23:14 GMT, (Snowfeet1) wrote:

>I can't eat wheat flour - I want a recipe for corn bread.

Took me about 30 seconds to google the following at
http://www.canadabbhosts.com/recipes...Cornbread.htm:

Gluten-free Cornbread
Ingredients:
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
1/4 teaspoon vinegar
1/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine milk, egg,
oil, and vinegar. Mix well. Add all other ingredients and mix well,
being sure to remove any lumps. Batter will be thin. (Use a mixer as
opposed to beating everything together by hand.)
Pour batter into greased 8" x 8" baking pan. Bake 28 to 32 minutes,
until cornbread tests done with a toothpick and top is lightly
browned.
Makes 9 servings.

Calories 205 Protein 3 g
Fat 7 g Fiber 1 g
Cholesterol 26 mg Sodium 470 mg
Carbohydrate 33 g

Tastes like 'real.' Store in the refrigerator, as GF products dry out
more quickly than their wheat counterparts.

Highly recommended by my resident celiac.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Just what kind of jackassery do I have to put up with today?" Danae
in "Non Sequitur"

Terry Pulliam Burd

On 16 Nov 2004 02:23:14 GMT, (Snowfeet1) wrote:

>I can't eat wheat flour - I want a recipe for corn bread.

Took me about 30 seconds to google the following at
http://www.canadabbhosts.com/recipes...Cornbread.htm:

Gluten-free Cornbread
Ingredients:
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
1/4 teaspoon vinegar
1/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine milk, egg,
oil, and vinegar. Mix well. Add all other ingredients and mix well,
being sure to remove any lumps. Batter will be thin. (Use a mixer as
opposed to beating everything together by hand.)
Pour batter into greased 8" x 8" baking pan. Bake 28 to 32 minutes,
until cornbread tests done with a toothpick and top is lightly
browned.
Makes 9 servings.

Calories 205 Protein 3 g
Fat 7 g Fiber 1 g
Cholesterol 26 mg Sodium 470 mg
Carbohydrate 33 g

Tastes like 'real.' Store in the refrigerator, as GF products dry out
more quickly than their wheat counterparts.

Highly recommended by my resident celiac.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Just what kind of jackassery do I have to put up with today?" Danae
in "Non Sequitur"

Levelwave©

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Took me about 30 seconds to google the following at
> http://www.canadabbhosts.com/recipes...Cornbread.htm:

I believe they asked for a 'tried and true recipe'... any moron can
google a recipe... as we just saw.

~john

Levelwave©

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Took me about 30 seconds to google the following at
> http://www.canadabbhosts.com/recipes...Cornbread.htm:

I believe they asked for a 'tried and true recipe'... any moron can
google a recipe... as we just saw.

~john
Levelwave©

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Took me about 30 seconds to google the following at
> http://www.canadabbhosts.com/recipes...Cornbread.htm:

I believe they asked for a 'tried and true recipe'... any moron can
google a recipe... as we just saw.

~john
Levelwave©

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Took me about 30 seconds to google the following at
> http://www.canadabbhosts.com/recipes...Cornbread.htm:

I believe they asked for a 'tried and true recipe'... any moron can
google a recipe... as we just saw.

~john
Alex Rast

at Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:29:45 GMT in
(Snowfeet1) wrote :

>Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for cornbread with no flour
>(can't eat it). Thanks.

This recipe calls for sour milk - which is literally that - milk that's
gone sour. Ordinary "pasteurized" milk will go sour (usually about 1 week
past expiration) but "ultra-pasteurized" milk (the stuff with expiration
dates freakishly far out) will not go sour, so make sure your milk says
"pasteurized" on it. Also UHT milk (the stuff that they can keep on
unrefrigerated grocery shelves) doesn't go sour. This is a good way to use
up milk that you accidentally left around a little too long.

Cornbread

2 cups cornmeal
2 cups sour milk
3 eggs
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 450F. Thoroughly butter a heavy cast-iron pan.

Mix cornmeal, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until fully blended.
Cut butter in until the mixture is fairly uniform. In a separate bowl,
beat the eggs with a whisk or mixer until they are frothy and pale yellow.
Put the pan in the oven and allow it to heat until it is nearly smoking.
At this point, quickly beat the eggs into the cornmeal, then the sour milk,
then pour the entire batter into the pan and set in the oven quickly. After
about 5 minutes, turn the oven down to 400 without opening the door. Bake
for another 25 minutes or so, until the top is dark, uniform brown. Remove
and cool. This cornbread is delicious eaten warm - simply wait for about
5 minutes or so, until it cools to edible temperature, then cut into
wedges. Or cool all the way if you prefer it at room temperature.
--
Alex Rast

Alex Rast

(Snowfeet1) wrote :

>Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for cornbread with no flour
>(can't eat it). Thanks.

This recipe calls for sour milk - which is literally that - milk that's
gone sour. Ordinary "pasteurized" milk will go sour (usually about 1 week
past expiration) but "ultra-pasteurized" milk (the stuff with expiration
dates freakishly far out) will not go sour, so make sure your milk says
"pasteurized" on it. Also UHT milk (the stuff that they can keep on
unrefrigerated grocery shelves) doesn't go sour. This is a good way to use
up milk that you accidentally left around a little too long.

Cornbread

2 cups cornmeal
2 cups sour milk
3 eggs
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 450F. Thoroughly butter a heavy cast-iron pan.

Mix cornmeal, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until fully blended.
Cut butter in until the mixture is fairly uniform. In a separate bowl,
beat the eggs with a whisk or mixer until they are frothy and pale yellow.
Put the pan in the oven and allow it to heat until it is nearly smoking.
At this point, quickly beat the eggs into the cornmeal, then the sour milk,
then pour the entire batter into the pan and set in the oven quickly. After
about 5 minutes, turn the oven down to 400 without opening the door. Bake
for another 25 minutes or so, until the top is dark, uniform brown. Remove
and cool. This cornbread is delicious eaten warm - simply wait for about
5 minutes or so, until it cools to edible temperature, then cut into
wedges. Or cool all the way if you prefer it at room temperature.
--
Alex Rast

Bob (this one)

Alex Rast wrote:

> This recipe calls for sour milk - which is literally that - milk that's
> gone sour. Ordinary "pasteurized" milk will go sour (usually about 1 week
> past expiration) but "ultra-pasteurized" milk (the stuff with expiration
> dates freakishly far out) will not go sour, so make sure your milk says
> "pasteurized" on it. Also UHT milk (the stuff that they can keep on
> unrefrigerated grocery shelves) doesn't go sour. This is a good way to use
> up milk that you accidentally left around a little too long.

What do you mean by "sour?"

All these milks will spoil and smell and taste sour in time. The
difference between them is the temperatures to which they've been
exposed and which, if any, native or contaminative microorganisms
survive the processing.

Milk has traditionally been soured by adding acids like vinegar or
lemon juice beyond any bacterial souring.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Alex Rast wrote:

> This recipe calls for sour milk - which is literally that - milk that's
> gone sour. Ordinary "pasteurized" milk will go sour (usually about 1 week
> past expiration) but "ultra-pasteurized" milk (the stuff with expiration
> dates freakishly far out) will not go sour, so make sure your milk says
> "pasteurized" on it. Also UHT milk (the stuff that they can keep on
> unrefrigerated grocery shelves) doesn't go sour. This is a good way to use
> up milk that you accidentally left around a little too long.

What do you mean by "sour?"

All these milks will spoil and smell and taste sour in time. The
difference between them is the temperatures to which they've been
exposed and which, if any, native or contaminative microorganisms
survive the processing.

Milk has traditionally been soured by adding acids like vinegar or
lemon juice beyond any bacterial souring.

Pastorio

notbob

On 2004-11-16, Snowfeet1 > wrote:

> Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for cornbread with no flour (can't eat
> it). Thanks.

[knock knock]

Hello! ...anybody home!??

In a word: cornstarch

Grayshus chil' don you no nuffin'? Sub cornstarch for flour. As for the
sour ...BUTTERMILK!! Ain't no cornbread w/o buttermilk. Hot tip of the day:
TWO eggs.

nb
notbob

On 2004-11-16, Snowfeet1 > wrote:

> Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for cornbread with no flour (can't eat
> it). Thanks.

[knock knock]

Hello! ...anybody home!??

In a word: cornstarch

Grayshus chil' don you no nuffin'? Sub cornstarch for flour. As for the
sour ...BUTTERMILK!! Ain't no cornbread w/o buttermilk. Hot tip of the day:
TWO eggs.

nb
notbob

On 2004-11-16, Snowfeet1 > wrote:

> Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for cornbread with no flour (can't eat
> it). Thanks.

[knock knock]

Hello! ...anybody home!??

In a word: cornstarch

Grayshus chil' don you no nuffin'? Sub cornstarch for flour. As for the
sour ...BUTTERMILK!! Ain't no cornbread w/o buttermilk. Hot tip of the day:
TWO eggs.

nb

Cornbread etc Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 78 23-01-2014 06:42 AM
Cornbread Pie Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 10-01-2007 10:13 PM
Cornbread kilikini General Cooking 3 28-12-2006 07:35 PM
Cornbread Ken Davey General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 06:01 PM
Cornbread - I wonder why? jmcquown General Cooking 74 29-08-2005 05:16 PM